Gunhaver's Content

There have been 10 items by Gunhaver (Search limited from 04-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#237853 Nerfing Colleges

Posted by Gunhaver on 21 June 2009 - 06:59 PM in General Nerf

Connecticut College of New London CT has 2 HvZ games a year, that have been run fairly well the past 2 years of so. The game organizers took the time to alert the campus security office of what we would be doing so there were no unfortunate misunderstandings. Other then that organized Nerfing on more regular basis their has been fairly sporadic from year to year (1 year it's big, the next not so much as the group of students with the most guns meet less often, move of campus or graduate).

A group at Goucher College has been very active in advocating for the game and providing support for games at other schools check out their website:
<http://humansvszombies.org/>
I would say check the forums of this website to look for other schools that participate to give you some ideas.

#217501 Assassin

Posted by Gunhaver on 11 March 2009 - 06:48 PM in General Nerf

Well my college had a pretty big assassination game. In fact every dorm on campus officially participated, and the college provided cheap squirt guns (the only legal weapon) from the dorm’s entertainment budget. Here is how our game was set up:

Everybody in the game is out for themselves; there are no teams, hence the players don’t need to synchronize their schedules.

The game’s organizers assign each player a single target. Imagine it like a giant chain; A must get B; B must get C; C must get D and so on all the way down to Z must get A. The organizers should keep track of who was assigned to kill who incase players leave the game or there are disputes (you are bound to have at least one per major game).

Assign each player their first target by giving them an index card with the target’s name on it. Each player can only hunt the person on their card. When a player assassinates their first target, the victim hands the assassin his or her own assignment card. The player is now hunting this new target. Each Assassin must carry a card with their current target at all times

Encounters are handled as such: If the assassin shoots their target (we only needed one shot) then they win the encounter. If the victim shoots the assassin before they themselves are shot then the assassin may not attack them again for a certain amount of time (to be determined at the start of play). Disputes are to be taken to the game organizers. Only shots between an assassin and their immediate target count so their can be no team ups.

Safety Zones: Anywhere or when on campus that the organizers feel would not be an appropriate place/time for the game. Class, sports game/campus, library etc.

Permission: You said “School” but I don’t know if that’s High School or College. As lame as it sounds I would advise getting permission from the appropriate authorities. Kids all over the country have gotten in serious trouble because school security or even the police were called when kids were seen sneaking around the bushes holding what look like guns. Also some schools expressly forbid the brandishing of even toy guns, in which case you are out of luck. But asking for permission is best in the long run. As I said our college actually sponsored our game as a Freshman Orientation event and later when we started a Human vs. Zombies game Campus Safety didn’t freak.

#217280 Watchmen

Posted by Gunhaver on 10 March 2009 - 08:39 AM in Off Topic

The movie was awesome and shitty at the same time.

"You people think I am stuck in here with you? You're stuck in here with me!"

Amazing.

I did not like the fact that I was like 2.2 hours into the film and I had no idea who the bad guy was.

It was like a historic graphic novel murder mystery.

Didn’t the not knowing make it better? As a long time fan of the book I thought the movie was telegraphing who the villain was. But if it is not obvious to a first time viewer than they must have done something right.

And now for my two bits: On the whole I liked the movie (warts and all). While the film did not transcend the medium of film; in the way that the novel transcended the medium of the comics, it did serve competently as a deconstruction of the superhero mythos.

#203387 Senor Wences

Posted by Gunhaver on 14 January 2009 - 07:52 PM in Homemades

Congratulations to both of you on an excellent modification. Just out of curiosity are there any aesthetic plans for the blaster in the future like paint or decals? Personally I like the current lean and mean look.

#202996 At2k Awareness Thread

Posted by Gunhaver on 12 January 2009 - 10:35 PM in General Nerf

Why not just go to the trading thread and try to buy one?

#199702 Bows And Arrows As Nerf Weapons?

Posted by Gunhaver on 30 December 2008 - 12:14 AM in Off Topic

I think you are just trying to get out of modding a gun. Regardless of how much foam you put on an arrow I nor most people on this forums will let you shoot us with your bow. End of story.

I am not trying to get out of modding a gun, I've modded quite a few guns, I just like archery more than firearms, or guns, or blasters.

Sorry buddy go do archery if you want to use your real bows or as the parallel thread is showing us a nerf bow and mod it a bit. But no one in their right mind is going to want to be on the receiving end of what you are describing it. What you do with your own time is your own business but don't expect us to play with you.

#199585 Bows And Arrows As Nerf Weapons?

Posted by Gunhaver on 29 December 2008 - 04:13 PM in Off Topic

Well I guess the next logical step would be to use firearms, but replace the metal bullets with foam ones; thus making it completely safe.

/Sarcasm.

I once took an old compound bow and stuck a foam rocket on the end of an arrow and went out to the archery range just for fun. After a couple of hits on the target the aluminum arrow shaft began to force its way through the front of the rocket. The lesson is that bows transfer a lot of kinetic energy into a projectile and even if you were using a blunt or soft tip, the shaft itself still carries energy and could do damage to what ever it hits.

Some hobbies were never meant to be combined; like Skeet Shooting and Surfing.

#199219 Ahhh My Firefly Sucks!

Posted by Gunhaver on 27 December 2008 - 02:47 PM in Modifications

Very nicely explain to your relative that the gun broke and ask if she has the receipt. If you feel like pushing your luck ask politely to get a different gun of equal or lessor value, or some darts, because you are no afraid that this particular model breaks too easily.

#199216 My School Has A Nerf Team

Posted by Gunhaver on 27 December 2008 - 02:38 PM in General Nerf

My School Connecticut College had a small club of Nerf fans a couple of years back. Unfortunately when the key member’s academic schedules became to demanding they almost never met. However Humans Vs Zombies is now gaining steam there.

#198167 500 Rpm Vulcan

Posted by Gunhaver on 22 December 2008 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

Personally I found the digital round counter to be a nice touch. Purely cosmetic but then again pretty much everything about the Vulcan is.