Ash's Content

There have been 372 items by Ash (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#296752 March Meltdown '11

Posted by Ash on 28 March 2011 - 03:33 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't find the war... where is it?

#273842 ...so, I'm In A Boy Band, And We Need Your Help!

Posted by Ash on 01 May 2010 - 04:55 PM in Off Topic

...a boy band.

#237458 Curious

Posted by Ash on 19 June 2009 - 04:45 PM in General Nerf

Ash, like the rest of us horsemen, collected crossbows for about a decade (check his member #), as they were all we used. He just never needed to mod these two. He has a bunch of packages splitfires and larami supermaxx 1000s for the same reason, though I imagine the latter were always really just trade bait.

Actually, I had plans to use the splitfires... but alas now I just have 6 of them still in the packaging that I never touch.

#237394 Curious

Posted by Ash on 19 June 2009 - 12:26 PM in General Nerf

Yeah... What a douche-bag this guy must be.

#108132 Streamline Darts (longshot Darts)

Posted by Ash on 29 May 2007 - 02:09 PM in Modifications

The BBs crack the hot glue? That's insanity.

#88358 Longshot Question

Posted by Ash on 26 August 2006 - 11:56 AM in Modifications

I have a better idea, how about instead of me posting a link, you go find it your damn self.

Damn lazy kids these days...

#88352 Longshot Question

Posted by Ash on 26 August 2006 - 08:30 AM in Modifications

Someone already has a step by step, I believe, or at least an outline of how to do a barrel mod on the longshot. I would personally suggest PETG rather than brass simply because brass is going to add a lot of unwanted weight to the front end of the gun.

#88253 Pluto Demoted

Posted by Ash on 24 August 2006 - 07:17 PM in Off Topic

Whatever happened to the tenth planet that they found? I remember it was temporarily called "Planet X"... did they decide that wasn't a planet? This was years ago, I don't remember hearing anything about it after the initial discovery.

#88248 Apoc 2006 Recap

Posted by Ash on 24 August 2006 - 07:10 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, I posted on a thread about longshots about that, the air restrictors really don't change the distance much... I assume if you do a barrel mod it would, but without a barrel mod it just makes the gun louder and results in more spinouts.

#88238 Longshot Question

Posted by Ash on 24 August 2006 - 06:02 PM in Modifications

I think most people are exaggerating a bit when they say 100' flat... From what I've seen so far (unless these people have done barrel mods) an extra O-ring is not neccessary in the least bit. I've modded 4 longshots so far, and from what i've seen there are a few myths out there.

1. There is almost no need to add the bbb spring and keep the original in there. I modded a Longshot for my girlfriend and took out the stock spring to make the pull a bit easier for her. It seems to get identical ranges as the guns with both springs.

2. The large air restrictor isn't really all that important. Two of my longshots have the large air restrictors removed and two don't. One of each has the post removed as well. The ranges are identical on all of them. The only real difference seems to be that the two with air restrictors still in them are much quieter and get far less spin-outs. The range is just about identical. Of course, with a modded barrel I'm sure it makes a huge difference, but if you haven't modded the barrel yet and plan on using the stock darts from time to time, I suggest leaving the big air restrictor in there. Also, the guns with posts still in them seem to fire the stock darts more effectively (though still with some spiraling).

3. One last thing is if you can find a slightly stiffer spring to put on the catch mechanism, that seems to be an area that needs improvement. The catch is sort of touchy. My first three mods didn't have any problem, but the latter two were a bit too touchy on the trigger and occasionally fired on their own. If you can upgrade that little spring I think that would solve any problems in that area.

#88233 Rifle Slings, Holsters

Posted by Ash on 24 August 2006 - 05:53 PM in General Nerf

I know someone already mentioned the guitar strap, but when I used my Crossbow with lock n' load attatched as my primary, I attatched a guitar strap to mine. The guitar strap was cheap, $15 or $20 I believe, it's adjustable and has leather ends where the pegs fit. The strap itself is made of nylon. It's a very comfortable solution. I had trouble with keeping the strap on the pegs, so I went and bought the Strap-Locks for it. These are made for guitars so the guitar never falls off if you take your hands off of it. The strap locks go for about $20 - $30 bucks, so they aren't really practical in terms of price, but they are convienent in that they have a lock that you can disengage to remove the strap easily, and they are asthetically pleasing. They also pivot so that the strap never ends up in a strange position.

I do, however, suggest putting the strap points on opposite sides of the gun if you are going to attatch from the sides. The guitar strap pegs you can just screw right on, so I put mine on opposite sides of the gun. Installing the points of attatchment on opposite sides allows the gun to sit at a more natural position when not in use. It was extremily useful when I didn't have time to reload the crossbow and pulled out the duel lock n' loads.

#72413 An Improvment To Stefans

Posted by Ash on 05 February 2006 - 07:16 PM in Homemades

I bet it does... I bet it does...

#67336 Happy Halloween

Posted by Ash on 08 November 2005 - 09:46 PM in Off Topic

We all know halloween is the most important holiday of the year...

Every year at bed time, I sit below my sacred halloween Skull Rack and pray that I might awake the next day to find a desolate wasteland once known as Earth populated only by the walking dead and a few scarce survivors such as myself... Ahh, how grand it would be. Of course, my wish never comes true, but it's because of all the non-believers. Fuck you, non-believers.

#59094 All Purpose Movie Topic

Posted by Ash on 11 July 2005 - 07:18 PM in Off Topic

Regarding the EMP - a lot of devices are magnetically shielded. Most home stereo speakers are because of the large magnets they contain - an unshielded speaker could cause interference in a Stereo receiver, DVD player, or TV. I don't believe that car electronics are shielded. So theoretically the camera could have been shielded to prevent normal magnetic fields from interfering or damaging it.

No, man, those are devices are shielded, but not against something like an EMP. They are sheilded against geveral electromagnetic interference. To sheild against EMP, devices need to be "Hardened" against it. Hardening is basically like mega-sheilding. These things are sheilded at every possible point of electromagnetic penetration. Vehicles are effected due to the ignition systems and all the dense coils of wires (i.e. Alternator, Starter Solenoid, etc.). Most of the info on EMPs is theoretical and highly speculated so it's quite difficult for anyone to make a very valid argument on what would and wouldn't happen. Different devices are effected differently because some are more sensitive than others. Communication devices are the most sensitive as well as anything with very long running wires.

And yeah, I know it wasn't specified that the EMP effects came from the lightning. I made the assumption based on the frequency of the lighting and the vacinity of the strikes. I know that lightning strikes have similair effects to EMPs so I just made the assumptive leap there.

And no, turning off a device won't save it by nature of what an EMP is, but turning off a device may save a battery from destruction since it is out of the curcuit. Cameras really would be low on the list of most vulnerable devices to EMP, but as I said, there is a lot of theory involved with it all. Also, cars are never "off" so to speak. There is always constant power running to several devices in a vehicle, so there are always completed circuits in a vehicle at all times... so they are never really "off" all the way.

#59093 Rototrack Mod

Posted by Ash on 11 July 2005 - 06:58 PM in Modifications

Nice. That mod combined with ditching the chain might be something I'd actually use. I used to do it to the chain blazers (as I'm sure many did), just cut the chain and attatch the individual barrels to the mechanism that feeds the chain. You end up with four barrels, obviously, but it's way more reliable than leaving it chain-fed.

#58928 Ln'l Pistol Holster

Posted by Ash on 08 July 2005 - 10:54 PM in General Nerf

Just let it go Ash, I really wish you didn't have a problem with this topic.

I apologize. I am a cranky bastard. I just keep seeing all these old ideas re-hashed over and over again and new people getting credit for them over and over again. I know this wasn't your intention... I guess I was more pointing it out for all the people who see these holsters and give you full credit for the idea. Regardless, I apologize. It was an ass-comment. I have to learn to accept the fact that people are going to bring up old ideas once and again because the old ideas have been long forgotten.

Continue on, as I'm sure it benefits many people to have these ideas written up in detail.

#58925 All Purpose Movie Topic

Posted by Ash on 08 July 2005 - 10:48 PM in Off Topic

The EMP thing is barely a valid argument. The EMPs that come from high-energy lightning bolts are very different from EMPs that are a result of a nuclear explosion. Also, EMPs won't neccessarily disable ALL electronic devices. The more simple the device is, the less vulnerable it is. A flashlight, for example, wouldn't neccessarily be effected by an EMP. Also, as mentioned, the EMPs had limited range. Only in vicinities close to the actual lightning strikes would devices be disabled. The video camera could easily still be working... the cameras actually taping the lighting would be disabled for sure, but they could just as easily be out of the EMPs effective radius.

I found plenty of things about War of the Worlds to be a bit to convenient... and yes, there are a couple holes here and there, but the arguments about what the EMPs would and wouldn't effect are mostly speculation. I wouldn't slap the movie with a bat review simply because a few flashlights and cameras still worked. There are materials that will shield against such a blast, and plenty of devices wouldn't be effected.

As for the bacteria... well, that's how the damn story was written. Spielberg can only change so much of a story before it's not the same. Bacteria killing the aliens is a rather feasible ending. The aliens, while watching our species, were not acutally on the planet. They wouldn't know what sort of bacteria exist on our planet and what wouldn't. The may be immune to bacteria on their own planet, but since they had never encountered the bacteria on earth, they wouldn't have any immunities built up. Plus, there are far too many bacteria on the planet for anyone to really know of all of them. Bacteria can change and mutate in an instant, so regardless of how long they studied the planet, there is no way they could be ready for any or all of the bacteria existing on the planet.

#58918 Live 8

Posted by Ash on 08 July 2005 - 09:52 PM in Off Topic

Dude, Violated is a great song. He says strangle you with your spinal chord dude. Besides, it's wicked funny stuff.

Yeah... I'll give you wicked funny.

After seeing them live, I rarely want to listen to them anymore. lol.

Has anyone heard that the bastard who organized the Live 8 thing has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize? I guess people are just looking for someone to dump that shit on these days... It's a shame it doesn't mean what it used to.

#58744 Ln'l Pistol Holster

Posted by Ash on 05 July 2005 - 07:20 PM in General Nerf

I suppose I am one of the few that remember the Stealthblade holsters... they were pretty much the exact same design only minus the foam and about 10 years ago.

#58743 Live 8

Posted by Ash on 05 July 2005 - 07:13 PM in Off Topic

But if Iced Earth is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

I'm all about metal and all, don't get me wrong, but Iced Earth? Thunderfags, dude, thunderfags.

#58405 Done Deal: War Wrap-up

Posted by Ash on 28 June 2005 - 06:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I dunno dude, they fired out of everyone else's crossbows just fine it seemed (at least our darts did). You may need to take that thing apart and check it out. You told me you hadn't done that in 5 years.

VACC

No, I mean none of the darts at the war were firing dependably out of any of my weapons. Even when I switched to the Maxshots, the darts were all over the damn place. The only ones that worked worth a shit were Langley's darts. They fired nice and far out of the Maxshot, but still rather unreliably. When I got home, I took some of the darts I had laying around the house (which is about a total of 5) which were our older darts, and they fired like a champ out of the crossbow... and the maxshot... and the splitfire. That leads me to believe that the darts are the problem. In any case, I'm converting all my guns to Micros (not permanently) since no one can seem to find any reliable (ie non-shit) 5/8 foam. Micros seem to always work for me, so hopefully the next war will be a little better for me. I still thoroughly enjoyed the war.

#58332 Done Deal: War Wrap-up

Posted by Ash on 27 June 2005 - 10:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, I had a lot of fun, too. I'd have to say all the game types were fun except for that crazy captians with flags and whatnot bullshit in the woods. I would actually vote to not have any more wars in those woods.... but that's just me.

In any case, I had fun. The only complaints I had were 1. I need to find darts that work. 2. I don't understand people that like to wonder around outside of battle during an entire round and then just come in at the end to play clean-up. Something about that mentality bothers me... as if some people just care about who wins the battles instead of having fun. That's not Nerf to me.

I'm definetly down for some more deal wars in the near future... I think I will be converting all my guns to micro darts, however. Apparantly no one can find a good reliable 5/8 backer rod. All the darts that I used that day sucked... there were two types that worked well in the maxshot, but sucked in everything else.

#58106 Hey.

Posted by Ash on 24 June 2005 - 12:05 PM in Site Feedback

You don't really take yourself seriously, do you?

#58033 A Poem

Posted by Ash on 23 June 2005 - 05:52 PM in Off Topic

I know it is unfashionable to say anything anyone creates is subpar, but I honestly don't think that peice works as a poem. Maybe as a narrative or write a short story out of it, the writing isn't bad, but it doesn't flow as a poem at all.

#57568 Michael Jackson

Posted by Ash on 15 June 2005 - 02:00 PM in Off Topic

Why do so many people answer to a topic saying they don't care?  The implied answer to the question if you don't answer is that you don't care... so why bother putting it in words for everyone?

No disrespect or anything, but you didn't post what you thought either.

You are a douche-bag. I made the post to point out the stupidity and pointlessness of half the posts I see here. Granted, I don't always have a whole lot to say, but taking up a whole post to say "I don't care" is fucking pointless. That's the implied reply if no reply is made. I didn't post here because I care about MJ, I posted here because I am trying to improve the general quality of posts around here so I don't have to wade through three pages of three word posts to see what everyone has to say.

No disrespect or anything, but you are a fucking tool.

#57473 Michael Jackson

Posted by Ash on 13 June 2005 - 08:52 PM in Off Topic

Why do so many people answer to a topic saying they don't care? The implied answer to the question if you don't answer is that you don't care... so why bother putting it in words for everyone?

#56592 Lost A Job

Posted by Ash on 04 June 2005 - 08:21 PM in Off Topic

It's not really about people "winning" so to speak, I don't think. Why should someone conform to the aesthetically pleasing for the masses standard? It's more about that, I think. Just because everyone else thinks it's better doesn't mean you do... I'm sort of suprised no one seems to get this. The "I should cut my hair because people will like me better" attitude seems fairly pathetic to me. If a girl likes you, they are going to like you for who you are and what you look like regardless of the length of your hair. All you attracting when you conform to the standard is trash. If a girl wants nothing to do with you, then you cut your hair and suddenly she wants to talk to you, she is not the type of person you want to be involved with. Adults will take you serisouly if you deserve it. If you talk to someone, even though they may think badly of you due to your appearance, and you are intellegent, they will see that. I wouldn't take me seriously at first glance, but when I talk to customers, they always respect the information I'm giving because I don't sound like a fucking dumbass and because I know what I'm talking about. That's way more important than the length of your hair. That's bullshit. In the long run, just try and do what you want. Try not to think of anyone but yourself and decide.

#56513 Deal War

Posted by Ash on 03 June 2005 - 11:35 PM in Nerf Wars

...but James Taylor...

#56511 Lost A Job

Posted by Ash on 03 June 2005 - 11:34 PM in Off Topic

You get too much enjoyment out of your hair. It's kind of creepy. And if "only people who have been around you" get the situation, that doesn't make sense. Are you telling them something you're not telling us? Did your girlfriend who had a hair fetish die in your arms, making you promise you'd never cut it? Did some really hot girl touch it once and you havent washed it or cut it since? Is short hair a sign of homosexuality in your neighborhood? Or are you so fucking concerned with your appearance that you're hostile towards all change? Yeah, probably the last one.

... you're a douche.

#56454 Deal War

Posted by Ash on 03 June 2005 - 12:00 PM in Nerf Wars

I will probably be good if I am out around like 5 or 6... which is probably more than enough time anyway.

Seriously though, James Taylor?

#56453 Lost A Job

Posted by Ash on 03 June 2005 - 11:58 AM in Off Topic

yeah, Jesus is normally the predominant nickname at work... though some call me RVD (i think), edge, and triple H as well. I don't really watch wrestling so I don't really know who they are. Oh, the other nickname I seem to have picked up is Charles.

#56395 Happy June

Posted by Ash on 02 June 2005 - 05:42 PM in Off Topic

Jersey is just beautiful this time of year :nugget:

Yeah... minus all the fucking new yorkers that make it impossible for me to drive 3 blocks down the street to the fucking seven eleven.

#56394 Deal War

Posted by Ash on 02 June 2005 - 05:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, as it turns out, the 25th will probably work for me too. I have a concert to go to that evening, but I will have off all day and I don't need to be at the concert venue until later... so for once you can probably count me in... and the woman.

James Taylor? Who the hell goes to see James Taylor anymore?

#56392 Lost A Job

Posted by Ash on 02 June 2005 - 05:23 PM in Off Topic

Yeah, I have long hair too

Posted Image

In fact you may even say I look like a deliquent... however, I am an assistant manager at Circuit City... have been for a couple years now. I deal directly with customers in a retail atmosphere... no one seems to mind. In fact, most people ask for my card to come back to me or tell their friends about me. It's bullshit that so many people seem to feel that you will be looked down upon by the masses simply because your hair is long.

My job simply requests that I have my hair tied back while I am working.

#55981 Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith

Posted by Ash on 29 May 2005 - 07:04 PM in Off Topic

I'd have to say I enjoyed the flick. Granted, the acting was horrible and the special effects were mostly sub-par, just like ep. 1 and 2. However, this one was a tad bit darker and more depressing in some ways... I'd say for the most part, however, it was fun to watch. If you think too much about it, you find faults. I didn't read about half the posts leading up to this, just firgured I'd add my two cents. I felt that the Anakin to Darth Vader transformation was a bit rushed... as was most of the story line. It's as if Lucas realized he had a whole shitload left to resolve and kind of shoved it all into the least amount of time he could... all the while dilly dallying with stupid shit (most of the first have of the movie) that really wasn't terribly important. In any case, it was more enjoyable that ep1 and 2, but still not redeeming enough to make me respect Lucas again.

One thing I did see mentioned was Talio saying that Yoda wouldn't be the best with a saber because he was old and weak... but I'm not seeing how strength would really play into using a light saber.

#55977 Spoonage

Posted by Ash on 29 May 2005 - 06:51 PM in Off Topic

Happy late one... bitch.

#55263 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by Ash on 19 May 2005 - 02:27 PM in Homemades

You can get sheets of ABS plastic from Metra in 12x12 (I think). I'm sure there is a vast array of other better companies to get it from, however.

#55262 Political Discussion

Posted by Ash on 19 May 2005 - 01:09 PM in Off Topic

Echoing my parents' whining? I am 13 and my parents have no intrest in politics, so am I echoing their whining? No, some younger people care about changes that may or may not effect them. Political discusion is interesting and isnt just for people who can vote.

Did you think I was talking to you, sonny? It was a generalization not a personal attack.

Anyone who is 13 and:

1. Is a different religion than their parents

or

2. Holds multiple differing views from their parents on major 'gut level' issues like abortion, the death penalty, gay marriage, etc.

...is an unusually independant thinker and can legitimately claim to be expressing their own opinions.

Except that they probably just had an abusive childhood so they copied their friends' opinions which were copied from their friends' parents.

I love you, CX. I don't think I say that enough.

I'd have to say that I think most people 18 and under normally act that way. hehe.

#55127 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by Ash on 17 May 2005 - 08:54 PM in Homemades

you can also buy sheets of lightweight ABS plastic for fairly cheap... it's also very easy to cut (you just score [sp?] and break) and with a heatgun you can simply bend it in any shape you need (though that dosen't seem applicable in this situation).

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

#55125 Megazooka

Posted by Ash on 17 May 2005 - 08:50 PM in General Nerf

Ash, why use a 2 liter bottle as a funnel when we already have perfectly good funnels. Just buy a bigger one, I'm sure they sell big ones, stick it on and then stick a barrel on. That would be nice, if it worked.

Uhm.... because I have a bunch of soda bottles in the kitchen in a recycle bin and I plan on simply throwing them out. Plus, the opening in the top of the bottle is very close to a Nerf barrel. Also, the top of a soda barrel is more of a bell shape rather than a cone shape, thus making it a better fit.

Why go out and buy a big funnel (or find one for that matter) when you can just use the top of a soda bottle?