HerbieHero's Content

There have been 30 items by HerbieHero (Search limited from 09-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#250128 Fury Fire Vs. Dtb?

Posted by HerbieHero on 11 September 2009 - 11:26 AM in General Nerf

To add another reason why the DTB might be superior for your needs, They are now available (at least in some locations) in a single "Hyperfire" pack.

Overall, depending on what you want, you're still probably better off getting the set of two--the current set comes with two Hyperfires, two Reflex/Eliminator-alikes, two vests (which make great wall-mounted targets if you pin them up) and two pairs of safety glasses for $40. The individual pack (at least where I've seen them) only gives you one each Hyperfire, vest, and glasses and costs $25. If all else fails, find someone nearby who's interested, each pitch in $20, and split a set. That's what I did.

#222048 Halo Style Game At A Nerf War?

Posted by HerbieHero on 06 April 2009 - 06:03 PM in General Nerf

Tell me if this is too off topic, and if it is, I'll start a new thread. Anyways, does anyone know of any good 2-people gametypes. Its not often that I have large amounts of friends over, ussually just 1 or 2, and we get bored with 1-hit-kill deathmatch. Also, anyone know of a good, fair way to have a 3 person game without making it complete free for all?

When I get together and nerf with my friends, there's only ever about three of us, so what we do is, we each take our blasters, find secluded starting spots, and play 5 hits. We've never had problems with keeping track of hits or dishonesty or anything of that sort. We've played that way at my friend's house, and he's got a pretty big yard so we have more than enough room for a 3-man match. 5 hits makes for a slightly longer skirmish, and all of our blasters are only slightly modded, if at all; the most we've really done is taken out ARs so I'm pretty sure nobody's breaking 50 feet.

#193156 The New Xbox Experience

Posted by HerbieHero on 30 November 2008 - 09:00 PM in Off Topic

I don't have a 360 (yet), but I plan on getting one soon and I've played around with both firmwares so I figure I might as well throw in my two cents based on what I've seen. I don't see why anyone's saying this--or any--system menu is copying the Wii, because there's really no similarity at all, at least in terms of menu layout, nor will there be until someone else has the balls to implement an infrared pointer in their controller. It's really more like the Cross Media Bar (aka PSP, PS3, and several high-end Sony TVs, apparently) but turned on its side. Now, I like the XMB and think that turning it on its side makes it even better, but what was so bad about blades that they had to go (for the most part; there was one menu where I saw them make a brief cameo, but don't ask me to remember which one it was)? There was something I really liked about the original blade menu. It gave everything a place. The only change I would have made would have been to use shoulder triggers to move between the blades instead of left/right, so that they could have menus that allow you to scroll the cursor across both dimensions. Sure, you might lose the ability to navigate menus with Guitar Hero and Rock Band controllers, but if they gave X/Y the same functions in menus as LT/RT (or something like that), then even that could be averted.

But enough rambling on the menu layout, now to talk about something a bit more controversial, if it really warrants being called that: the Avatars, or the Miis as many would call them with thick sarcasm. As a Wii owner, I can honestly say that I enjoy Miis, in both concept and execution, so I don't really have a problem with Avatars, apart that they could have been a bit more unique in style. That said, there's one thing that bugs me about the Miis, and that thing is how infrequently they're used in games. I'm not asking all games to adopt the Miis' art style, but WarioWare and Mario Kart showed that you can take the Mii data and interpret it to look a bit different from how it shows up on the Mii Channel. If you could make it look a little different, you could probably make it look a lot different. What if there were a function in the Wii version of Guitar Hero World Tour, for example, that let you "import" a Mii as a custom character? The game could be programmed with Create-A-Rocker equivalents for the different facial features in the Mii Channel and switch in those equivalents (placed as close to their original positions as the system allows), take the closest approximation for hair, eye, and skin colors, and give you that as a starting point, which you could tweak as desired. That would be a hell of a lot more appealing than Mii Freestyle, anyway.

Okay, I'll admit that was a bit of a tangent, but the point is this: I hope that 360 games are capable of doing more with Avatars than Wii games have done with Miis. By "more", I don't mean in terms of quantity; there are plenty of Wii games that have a use for Miis interpreted exactly (or at least near-exactly) as they appear on the Mii Channel, but few, if any, that make more creative use of them. Hell, you could even have an RPG that somehow determines your character's backstory or class or some such based on the Avatar tied to your Gamertag.

tl;dr The new menu is fine, but why get rid of the blades? And the Avatars are fine, if a bit too similar to Miis, but let's not just see them stagnate on the Dashboard.

#190304 Rapid Fire 20 Question

Posted by HerbieHero on 17 November 2008 - 06:11 PM in General Nerf

I usually use 25, I think I've gone as high as 30 without the OPV going off (mine's stock).

#189891 Recons Recalled

Posted by HerbieHero on 15 November 2008 - 09:52 PM in General Nerf

Really? I've heard the complaints about dead space, but I didn't realize it was that much dead space.
You learn something new every day...

#189850 Recons Recalled

Posted by HerbieHero on 15 November 2008 - 04:20 PM in General Nerf

Just got mine as well...is that really how short the second-gen plunger is? Because if it is...that really sucks. I'm assuming it gets much less range, no?

#189260 Armetorreta

Posted by HerbieHero on 12 November 2008 - 11:25 AM in Modifications

Until I remembered (i.e. was reminded by reading the Vicarious mod) that the BBB plunger doesn't latch while the trigger is held down, I was very confused as to the point of the integration. Do you think there would be a way to install a sort of safety switch that would keep the trigger depressed? Then you could treat it like a mode switch--BBB mode or AT2K mode.

Uh yeah. You just hold down the trigger? That is the switch. If your holding the trigger down you can treat it as an AT2k, if not then you can treat it as a BBB. I am getting 80-90 with 7 pumps with AT2k. I usually pump that one up then cock the BBB fire 2 shots, spin turret and shoot 4 times (or reload if time allows). It is a 5th shot to me, not a back up shot. Because of the turreted nature of the thing.

I understand how it works, I was just thinking that if you wanted to use the AT2K part for several shots instead of just one, you could use a switch to hold the trigger back so you wouldn't have to hold it yourself. Just a thought, is all.

#189223 Armetorreta

Posted by HerbieHero on 12 November 2008 - 12:39 AM in Modifications

Until I remembered (i.e. was reminded by reading the Vicarious mod) that the BBB plunger doesn't latch while the trigger is held down, I was very confused as to the point of the integration. Do you think there would be a way to install a sort of safety switch that would keep the trigger depressed? Then you could treat it like a mode switch--BBB mode or AT2K mode.

#188721 Greatest Game That You Have Ever Played In Your Life

Posted by HerbieHero on 10 November 2008 - 12:01 PM in Off Topic

Nerf N-Strike

So it's a good game?

By itself, it's fairly good. But as a Nerf game, it's SICK! Physics in it are extremely realistic, it is somewhat difficult, and it has a big variety of game modes. You can do a whole bunch of multiplayer. I'm trying to get a review out, but school is a bitch, so it could take a week or so.

Edit: Shut up splitlip, those games were awesome. How was Star Fox Assault bad?

Realistic physics? As in, darts only travel about 30 feet (which is generous for many of the game's blasters, but they have to propogandize it a bit, right?)? And how exactly does the multiplayer work?

I agree on StarFox Assault, I never really understood the hate against it. It's not my favorite game ever, and it was my first exposure to the StarFox games, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

#188717 Favorite Rock/metal/alternative Song

Posted by HerbieHero on 10 November 2008 - 11:43 AM in Off Topic

Foo Fighters - Everlong
Pretty much the best song ever, except maybe Stairway.

#188622 What Inspired You To Nerf...

Posted by HerbieHero on 09 November 2008 - 09:02 PM in General Nerf

I was hanging out at a friend's house playing video games when he showed me a Longshot and a Maverick he'd just picked up recently. I was blown away by the over-the-top faux-badass nature of a dart gun that loaded from clips (imagine if my first serious exposure had been the Vulcan!). I was fascinated. We played through Streets of Rage and I proceeded to shoot up the credits sequence with the Maverick. My friend told me about how he'd read on the Internet that some people conducted "nerf wars" with these blasters and suggested I pick one up. A couple weeks later, I picked up a Firefly. It took us a while to actually do anything with the blasters, but eventually we conducted a small skirmish (him, myself, and another friend of ours). I came to these forums and started lurking; after discovering how simple and effective some modifications were (like AR removals and such), I went back to that friend and asked if he had a Dremel tool lying around. We found one and I eagerly tore away at my Nitefinder, handily removing the AR. We then spent the rest of the night popping ARs out of our until-then stock blasters. I got through my Nitefinder, my Firefly, and my Recon; we tried to mod one of his Mavericks but failed, and now it doesn't work at all, and he managed to resuscitate his Recon from a near-death experience when he broke through the side of its bolt while trying to pound out the AR with a screwdriver. (We decided it was best not even to touch his Longshot's internals.) And a good time was had by all.

#187668 Firefly, Sspb Problems

Posted by HerbieHero on 05 November 2008 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

Also, the problem you could be having with the Firefly is the orientation of the turret. After I took the ARs out of mine, I oriented the turret so that its default position was like this had one barrel top center and one bottom center. The turret should be oriented so that top center is on a division between two barrels. That way, while the trigger is pulled, it will orient itself so that the barrel at the top will get the full exposure of plunger tube opening.

Too much "orientation".

On topic: You should probably open up the firefly, and make sure everything is aligned, but it sounds like a catch problem. Crack it open and match up the internals to a picture and see whats out of place.

For the sspb, it's like what, $2.99 for a new one? It's not even worth the time to fix.

Sorry 'bout the "orientation" overload. You see, when my mind gets oriented on one word I really don't like to change its orientation to another word unless it's absolutely necessary, but I agree that in some cases being so single-mindedly oriented on one point can be disorienting.

tm"o";dr version of first post: If the barrels are pointing straight up and down, change it so they aren't.

#187272 Nerf Storyline On Licd!

Posted by HerbieHero on 03 November 2008 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

I don't know, I thought it was great even without the Nerf stuff and I've never even heard of this comic before. And the hallucination.

#187191 Firefly, Sspb Problems

Posted by HerbieHero on 03 November 2008 - 10:46 AM in Modifications

Also, the problem you could be having with the Firefly is the orientation of the turret. After I took the ARs out of mine, I oriented the turret so that its default position was like this had one barrel top center and one bottom center. The turret should be oriented so that top center is on a division between two barrels. That way, while the trigger is pulled, it will orient itself so that the barrel at the top will get the full exposure of plunger tube opening.

#185886 Good Deals At Your Local Grocery Store

Posted by HerbieHero on 27 October 2008 - 05:47 PM in General Nerf

When I was home this weekend I saw some cheap Secret Strike knockoffs at Price Chopper, but I couldn't pick any up. They advertised 25 ft, for what it's worth.

#185822 Wow Look At This

Posted by HerbieHero on 27 October 2008 - 11:00 AM in Homemades

It would be a bit like FA24's Eyes of Fire--terrible for a war, but awesome for assassinations, because the victim would never forget the day he got shot by 20 darts in about 2 seconds (of course, 40 darts for the Eyes, but pretty much the same deal).

#185820 What Costume Are You People Wearing For Halloween?

Posted by HerbieHero on 27 October 2008 - 10:48 AM in Off Topic

Slash, of Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver fame. Based on his appearance in Guitar Hero 3, but I won't have a black leather jacket because I probably won't be able to get one in time, so I'll have a brown denim jacket instead. Also, I don't know how curly I'll be able to make my wig, but I'm still confident about how awesome it will look. Plus, I get to re-use the wig next year if I want to be Nathan Explosion. Will post pics once I have them.

#185276 Chain Saw Vulcan Idea!

Posted by HerbieHero on 24 October 2008 - 09:32 AM in General Nerf

If you could figure out how to strap a Vulcan to your arm as a fake hand replacement, that would be amazing in and of itself. I would just stop there, paint it blue, and run around calling myself Mega Man.

#184770 Greatest Game That You Have Ever Played In Your Life

Posted by HerbieHero on 21 October 2008 - 05:01 PM in Off Topic

I loved Ocarina of Time, but I've always been more of a Metroid fan, so the Prime series is definitely up there. Also Super Smash Bros., Guitar Hero, and Rock Band (as series).

#183555 Ballzooka

Posted by HerbieHero on 13 October 2008 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

I have no idea of the specifics, but it's a push-pull according to the wiki (and in any case it doesn't appear to have a trigger), so it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Then again, if you're trying a shotgun configuration you're not exactly going for pinpoint accuracy, so I guess it would be a matter of taste.

#182731 Recons Recalled

Posted by HerbieHero on 09 October 2008 - 07:45 PM in General Nerf

I think I'll send away for the cover just to have the option. I mean hey, it might turn out to be a pretty sweet decorational piece. Failing that, I can modify it into one if I'm ever so inclined. Really, it's a win-win, because even if I decide it sucks, it was free and I don't have to do anything with it. (Not to mention I don't have my Recon handy ATM, so it really doesn't matter.)

#180128 Switch Shot?

Posted by HerbieHero on 28 September 2008 - 12:28 PM in General Nerf

Off topic- I find is really funny that OMC said the MEGA-VULCAN was not coming out to the same person three god damn times, Nerfonfier get it through your fucking head. The Mega vulcan is never coming out.

On topic- i think the switch shot is pretty clever. If the spring gun turns out to suck people could always put a singled at2k into it, add a rail and you have a extra shot on to almost any gun.(As long as its part of the N-strike line)

I think there was a misunderstanding, actually. In at least one of the posts about the Mega-Vulcan, it sounded like the person asking about it was asking if it would be in the game, not available in real life. Of course, I could be wrong too, but that's what I got from it.

#179160 Switch Shot?

Posted by HerbieHero on 23 September 2008 - 05:55 PM in General Nerf

I'm impressed, 12 hours is a hell of a lot longer than I would've expected it to be.

Oh, and as for this popping up on eBay even as we still have nowhere else to get it, it's not really that uncommon for this to happen. Most early pictures of Transformers toys come from similar eBay leaks, probably someone either works in R&D or raided a warehouse.

#178338 The Nerf *what* Community?

Posted by HerbieHero on 19 September 2008 - 09:11 PM in General Nerf

How about Recreation? As in, Nerf Recreation Community? Because we all do different things with our Nerf arsenal, but we do it for the same reason: because it's fun

#176128 The Dark Knight

Posted by HerbieHero on 09 September 2008 - 09:52 AM in Off Topic

I wasn't going to post or even read this thread again but I came across this.
It has me cracking up every time.

Dark Knight deleted scene.

I love watching the slow transfer from "somewhat understandable" batman to the "What the hell is he saying" throughout the skit.

2:30 is my favorite part.

Oh God, that was hilarious. Definitely one of the better spoofs I've seen.

Is it just me, or did they have really good costumes/makeup for what I presume were amateurs?

#173495 What Was Your First Nerf Gun?

Posted by HerbieHero on 29 August 2008 - 08:27 PM in General Nerf

My first was also a Firefly, and it didn't break, but I got a Nite Finder anyway. But said Firefly does have a nice scar on the back from when I opened it up. On mine, some of the posts in the back were glued together to prevent dismantling the blaster. So I just dremeled through the posts, and now I have a slightly open gash on the shoulder brace part.

#172461 Double Shot

Posted by HerbieHero on 25 August 2008 - 10:46 PM in General Nerf

Well, I've been considering picking up a Double Shot, so I might have a use for these. Are these pics from the old version (blue stock) or the new version (green stock)? There's probably no difference, but you never know. And I do have to admit, even though I've heard the ranges are pretty terrible, they did rig up a clever cocking mechanism.

#171454 Worst Gun Ever P2

Posted by HerbieHero on 21 August 2008 - 11:05 PM in General Nerf

LS front gun. I discounted ball guns, and that front gun is some ass.

#170710 New Nerf Games On Kotaku

Posted by HerbieHero on 19 August 2008 - 06:58 PM in General Nerf

The game is definitely a console game; in Nintendo Power, it's listed in Game Watch for Wii and DS (!) as "Nerf N-Strike". (I'm ashamed that I didn't make the connection sooner between the Wii remote shell/blaster and this game. I assumed it was just a generic accessory.) Honestly, I was hoping the game would be an FPS--like Halo or something but with Nerf blasters. But a Time Crisis-esque game would be cool too.
(P.S. - Time Crisis 5? Nice.)

#170445 How Many Guns Do You Have In Your Arsenal?

Posted by HerbieHero on 18 August 2008 - 09:04 PM in General Nerf

Pretty modest, and I only have one-ofs as of yet:
Nite Finder, AR removed, and I leveled out the stock barrel so that stock darts will load better
Blue Crossfire, AR removed a bit sloppily
Recon, AR removed and a nonessential piece of the bolt accidentally broken off
Firefly (my first blaster), ARs removed and I kinda halfway did the removable clip mod
Rapid Fire 20, not modified yet because I haven't opened it up yet (the blaster itself, not the package)
Longshot, not modified yet because I haven't had a chance to
Iron Man Magstrike, broken

UPDATE 11/10/08:
Vulcan, not even touched in terms of mods

I buy guns for looks moreso than for functionality because I don't do a lot of serious Nerfing.
By the way, I have a field day with interchangable parts. My current weapon of choice is my Longshot with the Recon barrel, Recon flip-up sight (which actually does work if you use it with the Recon barrel), and Crossfire attached to the bottom of the barrel. My Recon has its stock, the Longshot front gun, and the Longshot scope attached to it. And I once put up a tent with some friends using the Tactical Light (read: shitty green flashlight that gives off a surprisingly legit "night vision" feel) as our only source of light other than cell phones (it's a long story).