Lucian's Content

There have been 274 items by Lucian (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364652 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by Lucian on 05 August 2021 - 09:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there. If anyone wants a spare bed to crash on within 10 minutes of the venue tomorrow night, get in touch!

#362312 20v Power Tool Battery Blaster Adapter

Posted by Lucian on 23 January 2018 - 11:01 AM in Modifications

More food for thought - it'd be really cool to start seeing people re-grip their blasters with drill handles. That way you wouldn't need fancy battery connectors and you could hot swap batteries just as quickly as you can change a mag.

#362258 [WIP / Design] Homemade Crossbow

Posted by Lucian on 15 January 2018 - 01:50 PM in Homemades

Hey, long time no see! Welcome back friend! This is awesome work!

I'd encourage you to reconsider that priming mechanism - it looks like you'd be putting a lot of torque into the delrin rails as you prime? 

I'd recommend looking at how people have been priming Tornado Bows! 

#361973 Worst Mods/Paint Jobs You've Ever Done?

Posted by Lucian on 16 November 2017 - 11:06 AM in Modifications

In terms of aesthetics, probably this thing:

*snip*

Are you able to pump that thing while only holding the pump handle and pistol grip, or would that rip the tank away from the Nitefinder remnants? I think it looks great, it's a totally utilitarian blaster and I can see beauty in that! 

#361657 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Lucian on 26 September 2017 - 11:39 AM in Homemades

So as of late, I've been plagued with the issue of all of the hex nuts coming loose. I have a few ideas about making the experience of dealing with this easier. I'm thinking that you could use any of the following techniques - 

1) Fully embed one hex nut per threaded rod. See: http://solidutopia.c...-captive-parts/

2014-03-27-15.36.10-1024x767.jpg?resize=

2) Use a captured hex nut recession for one of the threaded rod's fasteners 

threads_04.jpg

3) Threaded insert for one of the rod's fasteners??? I'd just be worried about the 3D printed part stripping and the insert eventually having nothing to bite into.

There's more reading on all this available at: https://www.fictiv.c...d-printed-parts

The hard part about any of this is that you need a way to keep the threaded rod from rotating during assembly. It's not the easiest thing to do, I'm considering adding a set screw or two where possible to help lock the rod in place. 

By securing one nut per rod, you gain the bonus of not needing two wrenches. If you can keep the threaded rod from rotating when you tighten the blaster up, you'd be able to disassemble & reassemble everything with just a Leatherman - to me that's a big added value.

What do you all think?

#361560 Mediator XL hype thread

Posted by Lucian on 11 September 2017 - 11:14 AM in General Nerf

OP, please refrain from using neon green text, it's very hard to read.

#361065 crossbow cost

Posted by Lucian on 21 July 2017 - 10:53 PM in General Nerf

im just thinking how much the 1995 crossbow goes for now a days but how much was it when it first came out

I'm sorry but can you please use the shift key and capitalize some letters? I'm having a hard time imagining you are anything other than a 12 year old with the way you've been communicating on here.

#361061 APOC pre-war shakedown

Posted by Lucian on 21 July 2017 - 03:35 PM in Nerf Wars

How many people are actually going? If me and a few friends are going to drive for four hours we gotta make sure it's worth! 

#361034 Mk-11: Durendal

Posted by Lucian on 18 July 2017 - 07:42 PM in Homemades

Great use of cross-dowel nots! I'm super happy to see more people using them effectively.

Question- How well do you expect that plunger head to hold up? I have a printed one in my Xbow and I'm not too confident about it enduring a war. 

#360977 APOC pre-war shakedown

Posted by Lucian on 13 July 2017 - 07:26 AM in Nerf Wars

I will probably be there. If anyone between Hartford CT and North Brunswick NJ would like to carpool with me, I can pick you up along the way. Just shoot me a PM. 

#360925 Rival Magazine Storage?

Posted by Lucian on 06 July 2017 - 01:17 PM in General Nerf

I'm using a drop-leg pouch like this, which works pretty well.  I can fit three 12-ball clips in it, and they stick out enough that I can reload them when not actively being shot at.
https://www.amazon.c...words=leg pouch

I just ordered it, thanks for the link! You should have set it up as a referral link... I'll report back with how this works for regular N-Strike Mags. 

#360919 Rhode Island July Nerf War

Posted by Lucian on 06 July 2017 - 10:23 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd probably show up if the event was from 10am - 5pm to justify driving all the way, and if there was more to play than just super stock. 

That's just my two cents, but there's probably many people that feel just like I do. 

#360603 [CT] NENO 17 Saturday June 17th

Posted by Lucian on 16 June 2017 - 12:14 PM in Nerf Wars

So it looks like it'll be scattered thunderstorms and rain the whole time.

ASLTIU9.png

It'd be irresponsible to not reschedule the war. 

#360285 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Lucian on 02 June 2017 - 02:10 PM in Homemades

The front end of [k26] +Bow length variant just shattered after ten shots. Just wanted to give fellow builders a heads-up. I do not have a plan for this issue. Hypothetically the front could be entirely printed in TPU (flexible filament)... that might absorb some of the shock. Could be interesting!  

#358915 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Lucian on 30 March 2017 - 11:49 AM in Homemades

Has anyone else finished theirs yet? I'm nearly done with mine, but the stock keeps breaking. As a community, we should try to brainstorm a way to reinforce the stock with a non-3D printed solution because I don't want anyone else to have the same problem when they go to build this thing. 

Crossbow.png

#358912 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Lucian on 30 March 2017 - 11:23 AM in Homemades

Maybe this design could borrow the string stop concept that Ryan#######'s rainbow pumps use? It's a crude solution but it'd be an easy fix, the hard part would just be figuring out how to attach it the most intelligently...

#358910 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Lucian on 30 March 2017 - 11:06 AM in Homemades

Oh no! That's not good! I wonder what would happen to the model I've made for myself- 

17440126_10209813982441589_848679684_n.png

The whole thing is printed at 100% infill PLA. Funny enough, I broke the same parts off the mag well when I was assembling it, so I inserted 6-32 rod through the parts to pin it together. 
Do you foresee the internal metal bits changing?

#358403 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Lucian on 05 March 2017 - 05:16 PM in Homemades

So I have some design suggestions based on my own scans that I have made with Drac's Xbow and a NextEngine 3D Laser Scanner. 

So this first thing might just be me, or my unwillingness to spend a few hours filing the print- BUT- there is a good amount of overhang where the grip meets the stock, The design is really clever, but I think a millimeter or two need to be shaved off the thickness of the arc. 

Grip3.jpg

You can see in my render that the middle finger ridge in the handle is pretty flat. It's just another flat landing area for your finger from what I've noticed. 

Grip4.jpg

If you ask me, the recession for this ridge goes in too deep. If it was flatter it wouldn't be a point that digs into your finger. You can see what I'm talking about in the image below: 

Grip5.png

Lastly, the extrusion coming off the base of the handle, is a little sharp. The real Xbow has more of a fillet, and the surfaces also blend together.

Grip1.jpg

This is what I mean by that: 

Grip6.png

If you want to see some of the scan data I'm basing myself off of, you can find it here-
https://drive.google...d1pvWEliTi1LekU

EDIT: Oh, and for those of you who don't check Nerf Modders Welcome- here's a photo of the finished print! 

17017170_10209649698614596_2447564149832

Ninja Edit #2: People have been asking me to provide the STL files, so here you go: 
https://drive.google...ajNDSkVyNmJrd1E

#358367 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Lucian on 04 March 2017 - 11:07 AM in Homemades

Neat. What material are you planning to cut it out from? I think the design of the handle needs to be tweaked, the finger ridge at the top of it is a little to small- I have NextEngine 3D scans I can provide for reference if you want to take another look at it Slug.

#358363 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Lucian on 04 March 2017 - 12:38 AM in Homemades

Mine's coming along pretty quickly, I'm ordering all the materials I need to get it firing right now! 

Attached Thumbnails

• s4nEElW.jpg

#358268 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Lucian on 27 February 2017 - 06:16 PM in Homemades

Amazing work! Now I don't know if I want to laser cut this, or print it... not a bad problem to have. I'm assuming you'll be posting the 3D models of this latest iteration soon? Time to go warm up the Lulzbot...

#358091 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Lucian on 20 February 2017 - 06:04 PM in Homemades

Hey Slug, 
Any chance you can upload the .dxf files for the flat profiles of parts? The word doc isn't gonna cut it for me-  I'm going to try to laser cut one of these out of HDPE sheet. 

#355987 Durendal: My take on a Rainbow Catch

Posted by Lucian on 24 September 2016 - 09:13 PM in Homemades

Very cool Slug, thank you for the honorable mention. Very happy to see someone revisit my design, yours looks amazing as always! I'm very eager to build one of these myself before APOC.

#355690 Beauties and Beasts

Posted by Lucian on 21 August 2016 - 08:40 PM in General Nerf

If you want to bore them to death with a powerpoint and quiz, yeah go for it. Instead why don't you just let them learn for themselves? Maybe one of them will be motivated to totally overhaul the vulcan into being the blaster they dreamt it to be if you don't hammer into their heads that it sucks.... 

#354651 [CT] Connecticut Nerf Out - Norwalk - Saturday, July 2nd

Posted by Lucian on 28 June 2016 - 10:18 PM in Nerf Wars

See you there + 1. I might need someone to spot my GF a blaster, we'll see how my Marshmellow Blaster mod goes!

#335008 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lucian on 27 October 2013 - 08:29 PM in Homemades

Posted Image
Been testing the design for Robo, handle was printed on the lowest possible quality. This iteration is really cool, I must say!

#332051 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by Lucian on 17 July 2013 - 08:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Fuck it, I'd go too. Let's all take this too far.

#330859 ESLT Blaster Build Guide

Posted by Lucian on 14 June 2013 - 02:20 AM in Homemades

I just finished mine, it really wasn't too bad, asides from tensioning the band, and figuring out the best way to assemble the components...
Posted Image

I still need to adjust somethings, but that's whatever. Am I the first to follow the guide and make one of these?

#330858 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lucian on 14 June 2013 - 02:12 AM in Homemades

Had to wait till Thursday to get the wyes, here we go!
Posted Image

#330799 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Lucian on 11 June 2013 - 06:37 PM in Homemades

I've been working on this-
Posted Image
I have a large box the funny wyes coming thursday if anyone wants to message me for one. They're like 10$ in shipping minimum, even to buy one directly.

#330351 ESLT Blaster Build Guide

Posted by Lucian on 29 May 2013 - 06:19 PM in Homemades

Printing right now, what infill did you guys use?

#329022 Engineering Nerf guns

Posted by Lucian on 24 April 2013 - 07:16 PM in Darts and Barrels

This is a great read and very interesting, I applaud your efforts Ben, I aspire to comprehend more of this.

Also here!
Posted Image

#328032 Clear Koosh Vortex Tornado x/2?

Posted by Lucian on 15 March 2013 - 07:11 AM in General Nerf

It's really not that big of a deal, I've had two before.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another of mine, before I got it from Bob
Posted Image

#327318 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Lucian on 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
Buy it, it's rad. Or just let me shoot you with it.

#327026 NJW12

Posted by Lucian on 19 February 2013 - 03:43 PM in Nerf Wars

This weekend opened back up, so I am definitely coming now. Looks like good turnout.

Just gonna go ahead and call shotgun for your Ford Focus now. I'll see you guys there!

#324737 Happy Holidays!

Posted by Lucian on 25 December 2012 - 05:50 PM in Off Topic

SUP?
Posted Image

#321601 SMEDLEY PARK WAR

Posted by Lucian on 13 September 2012 - 06:47 AM in Nerf Wars

I've cleared my schedule, let's do this.

With the above in mind, call me (a) maybe.

#321497 Nerf Podcast

Posted by Lucian on 09 September 2012 - 08:42 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for the mention at the end guys...
Vacc's body slam was in need of more detail.

#321172 Thank You NerfHaven!

Posted by Lucian on 29 August 2012 - 05:04 AM in Off Topic

Nice to see you Parkway, tell Zach I say hi!

#320615 Homemade SuperMaxx 5000: The VenoMaxx

Posted by Lucian on 17 August 2012 - 01:39 PM in Homemades

Very awesome blaster Venom, I feel a lot better knowing that 2" PVC isn't the actual airtank.

You really need to use CPVC Tees at the end and make a stock a la SM9k or Small Solder 5K style