Deaths Avatar's Content

There have been 38 items by Deaths Avatar (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#162707 Closed

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 13 July 2008 - 10:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Heh. Dairy Queen.

Can't say for sure right now, but I think I can be there with one other. Better get some guns though eh...

-DA

#160943 Closed

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 29 June 2008 - 09:26 PM in Nerf Wars

I might be in with at least one other.

August 8 or 9 eh? Wanna call that final?

-DA

#160697 Colleges That Nerf

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 27 June 2008 - 04:57 PM in General Nerf

Hmm, nothing here at Northwestern. But if people in the area wanted to, I'd be up for trying to organize something more formal.

-DA

#125364 Que Bungies!

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 07 October 2007 - 07:27 PM in Off Topic

So, as I am sure many of you saw Bungie has freed itself from the clutches of MS. Fancy stuff.

News Post on Bungie

So that is pretty neat. Also really neat:

Bungie's 1997/1998 gem Myth is still alive and kicken! A very cool game. I'm sure some of you have palyed it at some point in time. Anyway, if anyone is interested, the big community hub can be found at MariusNet these days. Check that out.

-DA

#114124 Cock-n-load Bbb

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 02 July 2007 - 11:00 AM in Modifications

Actually I think the Bacon BBB was first.

In any case, it looks like they all operate on a similar principle. A pretty handy thing to have on a BBB. Nicely done.

-DA

#113802 Sweet Home Chicago

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 29 June 2007 - 06:49 PM in Off Topic

I'm at Sheridan and Noyes, in a dorm.

#113685 Sweet Home Chicago

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 29 June 2007 - 10:51 AM in Off Topic

Well...during the school year I am at NU, so I too am in Evanston. But I am back in AZ till september. I don't have any of my equipment up there, but that can be easily remedied...

-DA

#113511 Comics!

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 28 June 2007 - 12:38 PM in Off Topic

http://newsfreecomics.com/

Looks like a pretty neat idea to me.

-DA

#87984 What's Up With My 3b?

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 21 August 2006 - 12:46 PM in General Nerf

You have no idea what you're talking about. The new BBB does not fire stock by direct air output to the the arrow. You the little nub at the end of the stock barrel? That is how the BBB is fired.

What? Im quite certain mine worked by pushing air out...

Even if thats how it works stock, I can garuntee much better arrow-firing by choping that off, the BBB has a huge volume plunger, making it ideal for...you know...shooting arrows with air pressure....

Its busted dude, throw the restrictors back in, take it back, and get a new one.

-DA

EDIT: http://nerfhaven.com...topic=5193&st=0 states that with chopping that off he can get arrows up to 40...as can I.

#87708 Super Easy Bbb Mods?

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 17 August 2006 - 12:02 PM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...topic=5193&st=0

Great simple mod. Mysteriously easy to find on the search too. Anyway, This one can be easily adjusted to add new "features" like a breach and such.

-DA

#87707 Teflon As A Modding Material?

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 17 August 2006 - 11:54 AM in Modifications

How much does a roll of teflon tape cost usually?

I get mine for $.59 or something at ace.

-DA

#86856 Flashbang

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 08 August 2006 - 10:32 PM in General Nerf

We had similar wars at my house at one point...I yanked the flash out of my Firefly and strapped it to the front of my NF (using a the NF batteries, but mounted a new switch, had to disconnected the LED). It was cool for about 10 seconds, then it was just silly. Worth a try though...

-DA

#84637 Halo 3

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 09 July 2006 - 04:54 PM in Off Topic

"press x to flip pelican"

I dunno how excited I am about THAT feature, but otherwise it looks pretty cool.

-DA

#84487 Are You The Best Nerfer In Your "crew"?

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 06 July 2006 - 09:38 PM in General Nerf

Yes.

#84195 Bbb Mod Question

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 02 July 2006 - 12:48 PM in Modifications

Hmh. Interesting. I opened mine up and took it all out and my BBB performs fine. Never had any trouble with pieces coming out or anything. Odd.

I say take it out and fire it a couple times, see whats going on. If its not working right, throw it back in there.

DA

#84095 Bbb Mod Question

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 01 July 2006 - 02:53 AM in Modifications

I just got a BBB, and I was wondering if I took out the restrictors if there is one that I need to keep, because I heard about keeping one in. I was also wondering if I could saw about and inch or so off the barrel, dremel out the 4 lines on the inside, remove the restrictors except for the one that I might possibly need, and hot glue a crayola barrel inside the original barrel. This probably wouldn't get as good as puting brass on, because brass is generaly better, and can be longer, but I can't find any anywhere including ACE. I believe the crayola barrel would be inside the original so I could shoot stefans, but the arrows at the same time. I know the arrows are pretty useless in wars but I like fooling around with em. :lol: If I do this what ranges should I expect?

Thanks ~Zilla65

http://nerfhaven.com...&hl=big bad bow

Good basic mod, with outstanding results, and a great haircut.

I dont recall anything about keeping an air restrictor, i think I took everything out.

No matter the barrel you decide on (i would also suggest looking at hobby shops for brass), remember that the BBB can get hungry when you charge it. Unless you have someting blocking it, it will eat up your stefans, which is just a pain. I found that for preventing that, a bit of music wire or even a piece of dental floss (or other small string) works well.

If you decide that you want a longer barrel, but still want to be able to fire the arrows, consider nesting your barrel in pvc (i think the arrows fit over 1/2 inch PVC, if not, nevermind).

Hope that helps.

-DA

#83653 Thinking About A Nerf Bomb

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 23 June 2006 - 02:40 PM in Homemades

Er. Well. Most of the nerf combat I do is with...nerf guns. Though a bomb of sorts might be fun to make for kicks (in which case go for it, it should be interesting), it lacks a practical use. While you might be able to use a grenade in a war, a bomb is a bit much. I mean, when in a war are you going to use a bomb? Unless you made a nerf airplane that can drop them...that'd be cool.

So my advice is go for it, have fun making something that can fire off tons of foam in all directions, but don't anticipate ever really using it.

-DA

#82033 Sawed Off 12gadge Airtech

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 18 May 2006 - 06:06 PM in Modifications

Nothing exept the fact that I use it to shove multiple dart into and when I fire, it splits the shots, like a shotgun.

A shotgun is just a type of gun, rounds that spread like that are a buckshot. Shotguns can fire slugs too...

But anyway, cute mod, it does have that shotgun flare to it with that barrel. Does the wider barrel fit snug in the AT2K? You ought to try and paint it if you get a chance.

-DA

#78174 Rejected!

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 30 March 2006 - 10:16 PM in Off Topic

OMpa you got rejected that many times?

ass

Anyway, Congrats on the John Hopkins Ompa. I was accepted to Northwestern University early decision, so that is where I'm off too next year. Fun stuff.

-DA

#77702 Eagle Eye Mod

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 26 March 2006 - 05:06 PM in Modifications

The standard for measuring ranges has been for a long time, is and always will be, to shoot the gun level to the ground.

Ah. Good to know, I apologize for my incorrect assumption.

Does the dart fit snug (as in PVC or other "tight" barrels), or is it a looser fit? I might consider picking some up at yonder ACE hardware. Im still curious as to what affect the curve in the tubing has, guess Ill have to go find out.

-DA

#77681 Eagle Eye Mod

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 26 March 2006 - 02:18 PM in Modifications

Still not possible. You must have angled it.

I guess I missed the part where he said that he didn't...

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting idea for a barrel material. The only thing about it is that it appears to curve upward a bit (from being rolled up as the tubing). Does the curve of the tubing create any issue? If not, sweet. If it does, you might try sticking it inside some PVC (or other rigid tubing of the sort). Spiffy idea sir.

-DA

#77633 Eagle Eye Mod

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 26 March 2006 - 01:03 AM in Modifications

I was happy with the results it looks to go about 100+ feet. I will get back yo you on the ranges manana (tommrow)

This leads me to believe that he has not actually measured ranges and this is just an estimate, that he plans to correct with actual measurements tomorrow. Maybe we should let him actually make a claim before we refute him? I do have my doubts, but we will let the measurements of the morning tell!

-DA

#77178 Want To Make A Homeade

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 21 March 2006 - 10:48 PM in Homemades

OK thanks guys. I will
-use Carbon's trigger
-use stefans

I am now planning to make pump gun. I want to be able to prime it about 4 times and then get like 65-70 feet flat. Or can I get those ranges with a spring?

Can I just have feedback on which gun gets better range and is pretty simple(for a first homeade)- the KISS or the SNAP-1?

The only suggestion I would make would be to go at this in the opposite direction. Rather than devising the results, and using them as a goal for the designing of the method, just make something (the method, the blaster), and see what results you get.

Instead of "I want to get this many feet" etc etc, think "wouldn't it be cool if I..."

Just some ideas to get the creative juices flowing...

Anyway, I'm with Ompa. For your first couple homemades go with spring. As far as triggers, I'd say go with the SNAP setup (straightforward, sturdy).

For the KISS vs. SNAP...just try one! or both! At once! Do whatever seems like it could be the most interesting. Good luck Sir!

-DA

#76766 The Behemoth

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 18 March 2006 - 03:26 PM in Homemades

I think you would add 5-10 feet on to the range by taking off the whole bar thing, the weight decreases power and the bar adds friction.

Get rid of the bar thing? The "bar thing" is how you cock the gun and where the springs are attached...

Friction is really no worry, it only scrapes the sides when it is crooked (which only happens because it is so tall and the CPVC bends). A dowel might not be a bad idea, but wood scores low in durability, Not to mention the bar is aluminum, so it is pretty light. A bolt-like rod raises the whole "flying metal" issue that Carbon and Ompa were having earlier, so I think I am going to try and avoid that. Thanks for the suggestions.

-DA

#76745 The Behemoth

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 18 March 2006 - 01:53 PM in Homemades

If so, then I would suggest making a version of it where the plunger goes back over your shoulder.
Sorry if its confusing, but by that I mean make the area where you rest your shoulder be below the top piece of PVC, and set more towards the front of the gun.
You could then shorten the rod you use to cock the gun.

Yeah, those are basically the two ideas I had. The inside space (the rod length, etc.) was originally only supposed to be as tall as the width of my hand, but various changes in the design and carelessness ruined that.

As far as length goes, I think the next version will probably feature shorter springs, or an over the shoulder setup like you suggested.

-DA

#76739 The Behemoth

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 18 March 2006 - 01:08 PM in Homemades

Well I crammed some brass into the barrel this morning and did some range testing. Here are the results (All in feet) (Don't read this thread though, go read about Bolt's new baby):

Not sure what happened on those last two , but the first three did decent. All shots were fired flat, at shoulder height, and measured with a rolling tape measure.

Ranges are good, but again the thing is too cumbersome to really use effectively. Continued testing also showed that it is very inconsistent, throwing in the crummy ranges pretty often. Hopefully a more thought out and tighter design will fix that.

Now I am going to go read about Bolt's new weapon and see If I can use any of his ideas from that!

-DA

#76569 The Behemoth

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 16 March 2006 - 09:02 PM in Homemades

Yeah, the lever did occur to me with the swing trigger, but the push rod would simply buckle (as it did when I built my FAR). Like I said, the sliding trigger allows me to more easily prevent this problem.

The springs actually are pre-tensioned, but just slightly, perhaps a little more would help. Shorter springs also sounds like a great idea...I will have to see what Ace has to offer. Thanks for the reply Carbon.

-DA

#76553 The Behemoth

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 16 March 2006 - 07:50 PM in Homemades

Well, I have decide that I can't let Ompa, DavidBowie, and Carbon have all the homemade fun these days, so I decided to try my hand at it. Really, this thing is a rip off of everyone else's designs (Ompa's Plunger, Bolt's trigger, Carbon's barrel shape, etc.), but it was still a party to make.

Anyway, I decided to sit down and make a homemade with all the materials I already have (tons of PVC, springs, etc.), and this is what I came up with:
Posted Image

Another goal of this project was to see if I could make a decent blaster using extension springs, rather than compression. Here is a close up of the spring setup (There is an Identical spring at the same distance on the bottom half.):
Posted Image

The trigger setup is very similar to Bolt's from the FAR. I still used the bell-crank setup, but rather than having a swinging trigger, it slides. I did this for two reasons: No force is lost in the up and down component (the force lost with the swinging trigger may be negligible, but whatever); The buckle inhibitors are much easier to fabricate/install because the bar only needs to move back and forth. Here are some nearly in focus pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

For now, I have just been muzzle loading stock whistlers (Have to wait for Ace to refill the brass so I can try stefans and maybe some paper darts). To charge the gun, you simply pull back the aluminum rod that is connected to the spring (something of a perverted crossbow). Since I have no brass to nest in the barrel, I won't be able to get ranges for a bit (maybe by Saturday).

There are several obvious issues with this design that will be resolved in the next improvement:
1. It is huge. Really Huge, to the point were I can't hold it against my shoulder and fire comfortably. You may notice that there is a great deal of space between the bottom of the handle and the bottom of the gun. This space was unintentional, but appeared as a side affect of not paying attention to what I was gluing.
2. The springs are a bit much for the trigger. Despite a smooth powerful trigger, the force of the springs is too great on the plunger, pushing the catch against the trigger pin with way too much force, sometimes requiring two hands to fire. I think this can be resolved by removing the bottom spring, it still has a great deal of force with just the one.
3. The charging handle (the metal rod) bends when being pulled back. This is a side affect of the two springs and the gun being too tall, should go away when I fix those issues.

In addition to these changes, I would like to take a stab at some method of improving the rate of fire (probably a clip of sorts).

So there you have it. I figured it was probably time to start posting something that is actually useful. Thanks for reading.

-DA

#75782 Homemade Plunger

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 10 March 2006 - 08:38 PM in Homemades

Any suggestions on how to make the grooves for the O-rings? Mine have a tendency to come out "crooked", making my plunger lopsided and useless.

-DA

#75280 Painting Guns

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 05 March 2006 - 06:09 PM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=4627&hl=

Worked for me. Odd.

-DA

#73526 Rapid Fire 20

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 19 February 2006 - 02:08 AM in General Nerf

Uh, the magsrike isn't even out yet... How do you know what it looks like?

Im pretty sure he doesn't, nor did he suggest that he did. My take is that he was referring to the function of the blaster, as desribed in the press release.

As for the topic, buy a RF 20, they are decent, and NerfMonkey managed to make them a bit more decent.

#72751 First Attempt At A Homebrew Gun

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 09 February 2006 - 11:17 PM in Homemades

Hmm, I just found a place that sells fairly large syringes. They look very promising, especially for a new SNAP-S model. Ill get a couple the next time I'm there. They could probably handle nanos quite well.

Hmm. Interesting idea. The problem with a syringe is that, though it will have a near perfect seal, it will require a tremendous amount of force to move. Having experimented with syringes in the past, I discovered that when I finally found a spring that would move the plunger, it did not move it very rapidly at all. It could be worth a try though, the seal would be hard to argue with.

-DA

#72364 First Attempt At A Homebrew Gun

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 05 February 2006 - 03:38 PM in Homemades

If his plunger is long enough, than the head with the seal/o-rings will never come all the way back to the slot for the handle, and there would be no air loss.

-DA

#69711 What Paint Should I Use

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 22 December 2005 - 03:53 PM in General Nerf

Krylon Fusion. Found in the spray paint section of your local Ace Hardware.

-DA

#68805 Grammaton Cleric's Sidearm

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 04 December 2005 - 10:43 PM in Homemades

2. Where can i get this so called "Music Wire"

I figured this was some sort of regional term for the stuff, but I found it at ACE, next to the brass and other little metal stuff labeled as "music wire." I also found it again at Home Depot, so it is pretty standard stuff for the hardware store.

-DA

#67494 1" 200 Psi Pvc

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 11 November 2005 - 10:09 PM in Homemades

I have found that often times "200 PSI" pvc is referred to as "thin wall" pvc (for mostly obvious reasons). Most places have two sets of each diameter, normal and thin.

You could always just ask someone who works there...

-DA

#67135 Maverick Mods

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 05 November 2005 - 01:22 AM in Modifications

I had the same problem when I modded my mav, even after returning the rings, it would hardly shoot at all. The problem is that the rings sit relatively loose in orange casing. I just glued the ring onto the part that the ring fits over (the ring fits over each barrel inside the revolver), and then glued the "top" (the part that you unscrewed from the orange revolver/casing part) to all 6 rings at once. After it all dried and such, it fired better than stock.

This gluing process was described in an earlier thread somewhere, with photos. It might be worth looking for...

-DA

#66624 Nstrike Poll

Posted by Deaths Avatar on 26 October 2005 - 08:22 PM in General Nerf

The infinite shielding

I thought he was adding his two cents to the N-Strike question when I first read this.