Aimless's Content

There have been 150 items by Aimless (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#218890 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Aimless on 19 March 2009 - 11:45 PM in Modifications

Longshot, shotgun gripped, AR removal, BBB spring.

Posted Image

AT2k, plugged pump, PETG barrels.

Posted Image

#216049 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Aimless on 03 March 2009 - 12:09 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

Blastfire with PETG barrels nested in PVC.

#210874 Interesting Find/mod

Posted by Aimless on 09 February 2009 - 04:37 PM in Modifications

Thats no tank, it's just the valve unit from the gun, it just happens to have enough volume to make an awesome tank.

#209234 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Aimless on 03 February 2009 - 03:35 PM in Modifications

I got bored.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#208945 Homemade Nerf At Cracked.com

Posted by Aimless on 02 February 2009 - 04:32 PM in Homemades

Or the awesome that smooth bore tank cannons are.

#208665 Nerf Irc Room

Posted by Aimless on 01 February 2009 - 03:37 PM in Off Topic

Oh, yes, that was quite fun last night, a debate over the validity of the cake that lasted about an hour or so, then just picture swapping for another 2. So yeah, it was quite refreshing.

#208501 Nerf Modding Vs. Parents

Posted by Aimless on 01 February 2009 - 12:52 AM in General Nerf

Not if your parents are from China.
My mom and dad don't care if I have the money, it if I do well in school, I can have the CONCEPT of it. It's nor a money issue, my mom doesn't like the concept.

Ah, yes, the concept of a hobby that involves "firearm replicas" or anything remotely resembling firearms troubles most parents, especially those of east Asian descent. From all the years I've lived with and in a Chinese society, most people seem to have some irrational fear of guns, which I think stems from firearms being associated with past invaders and what seems to be the association of guns and foreigners which combined with the xenophobia inherent to the customs and traditions. Oh, and the belief that guns are somehow alive and have a mind of their own.

And yes, if you're wondering, I'm Chinese, so I am right in the middle of it.

TL,DR
Foreigners = bad
Invaders = bad
Foreign invaders = bad
Foreign invaders with guns = bad
Guns = invaders = foreigners = bad
So in the end, anything associated any of those is bad, well, at least from what I've seen in these parts.

#208492 Magtrike Question

Posted by Aimless on 01 February 2009 - 12:29 AM in Modifications

I assume the plastic around the axle of the advancer broke off.

Posted Image

The focus is a bit off, but you should be able to see the metal strip on the arm in the blue box.

I rebuilt it by super-gluing a strip of metal around the edges of the rounded corner and then filed it back into shape.

Edit: Magstrikes are probably the most finicky and unreliable blasters I've worked with. A somewhat related question, is it possible to use the Powerclip's piston and advancer arm in a MS?

#206497 Indoor Vs. Outdoor

Posted by Aimless on 26 January 2009 - 12:59 AM in General Nerf

What benifits do you get from nerfing indoor and outdoor?

Indoor:
-Engaging in room to room fighting
-Weather is not a problem
-Very fast-paced
-Lighting effects possible
-Stock blasters aren't as handicapped

Outdoor:
-Longer engagement ranges so you don't catch a dart to the face at arm's length
-Somewhat slower pace, more time for planning and downtime
-Allows people to use high-powered blasters safely, as long as they keep a minimum distance
-More room to move around and less stuff to break

#205169 Wierd Computer Problem

Posted by Aimless on 21 January 2009 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

How could someone get a virus from something external? Did they buy a flash drive from the black market?

Virus knowledge has never been one of my strong points...

If an external drive/device comes into contact with an infected machine, depending on the virus present, it may become infected and become an infection vector. Most of these viri also rely on the fatally vulnerable auto-play function of Windows.

Edit: Also, disabling the auto-play functions of your OS will stop the annoying "Select an action" window and whatever else in the autorun.ini file on the media.

#197801 Ls Problems

Posted by Aimless on 21 December 2008 - 05:09 PM in Modifications

Does the plunger move all the way forward or is there something stopping it short and preventing the plunger rod from resetting the bolt-lock?

#197798 Streamline Slicing In A Ls

Posted by Aimless on 21 December 2008 - 05:03 PM in Modifications

so any ideas for fixes? or just remove the dart-tooth?

The breech system relies on the dart-tooth to seat the dart properly, remove it and it won't shoot darts. The ripping doesn't actually hurt the dart, the head of the dart goes down pretty far into the dart and will still stay put even with the tears.

#197791 Ls Problems

Posted by Aimless on 21 December 2008 - 04:49 PM in Modifications

Don't tighten the screw that hold the bolt lock too much, the bolt lock needs to move freely.

#197786 Streamline Slicing In A Ls

Posted by Aimless on 21 December 2008 - 04:41 PM in Modifications

That happens to be a design flaw of the breech system, when the dart-tooth retracts it tends to pull to head of the dart along with it, which in turn literally rips the head off the dart.

#195870 How Long Do You Think You'll Be Nerfing?

Posted by Aimless on 13 December 2008 - 03:03 PM in General Nerf

I've been nerfing for about a year or so, I intend to continue for as long as possible. Though, seeing the direction the U.S. is moving in terms of gun-control, even Nerf blasters may be banned, a sad day when toys are deemed illegal because they remotely resemble firearms.

#195369 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Aimless on 10 December 2008 - 10:57 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

My prized Big Blast, this time with 12" and 24" of aluminum awesome, McMaster part #1658T49, has the same inner diameter as OMC PETG except more consistent. Will send an 8 gram projectile through 2 unopened soda cans.

#194391 Funny Youtube Video

Posted by Aimless on 06 December 2008 - 06:05 PM in Off Topic

Well, at least he bagged a rabbit with that first shot, burgers anyone?

#191205 Powerclip Video

Posted by Aimless on 21 November 2008 - 10:35 PM in General Nerf

From my experiences of messing around with a PC and a bunch of Magstrikes, the PC was much less finicky and performed better than the 5 other MS in play during a basement war. The Magstrikes kept jamming and venting constantly, as for the PC, I don't remember it jamming or malfunctioning AT ALL. That and the fact that my Magstrike keeps breaking the advancing arm.

#190375 Hey Guys! Quick Question

Posted by Aimless on 17 November 2008 - 09:20 PM in General Nerf

Shortening a barrel does decrease range/power. The dart does not have as much time to accelerate before leaving the barrel and therefore leaves the barrel with less speed, in turn not travelling as far or hurting as much at comparable ranges.

Yes, if the only factor that changes is the barrel, ranges will suffer. However, if one also increases the pressure behind the dart, the dart will accelerate faster thus compensating for the shortened barrel velocity-wise. Of course there are disadvantages to doing so, like unstable darts, a louder muzzle report, and possible dart shredding.

#190366 Hey Guys! Quick Question

Posted by Aimless on 17 November 2008 - 08:57 PM in General Nerf

Hmmm... I like the "detune" idea... Maybe a 1/2" pipe and couple to go on the offending blaster's business end, with a restriction set up inside? Or a drastically shorter barrel? "Oh, singled Titan? Here's your 3" barrel."

I like the short barrel idea, but all that does is limit the blasters' accuracy as one can bring the pressure up to compensate quite a bit.

Edit: Assuming the blaster in question is a pump gun.

#189783 Singled Titan

Posted by Aimless on 15 November 2008 - 12:07 AM in Modifications

What I wanna know is how he shoots it through metal. Aluminum foil maybe, but aluminum sheet? Thats pretty much impossible.

He probably means aluminum soda cans.

#188941 Buzzbee Big Blast Trigger Repair?

Posted by Aimless on 10 November 2008 - 11:22 PM in Modifications

Maybe this will do it. Mine snapped in two at about the same spot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I used superglue to tack the pieces back together then lightly sanded both the area to be reinforced and the strip of metal. Then apply superglue, lots of it, clamp it down and let cure overnight. I also extended the metal to the first rib/ridge on the part your finger rests on and added a bit of superglue to the edges of the metal afterwards. It's held up fine even at 20 pumps. And don't forget to round the edges of the metal by the finger area.

Edit: The strip of metal is actually from a steel cookie tin, a great source of sheet metal.

#188353 What Inspired You To Nerf...

Posted by Aimless on 08 November 2008 - 10:40 PM in General Nerf

It started when I found a Buzz Bee RFR in my friend's room, after which, I bought a few of my own along with a Doubleshot. Then it really started picking up, as we had our first foam-war, 4 RFR's and 2 DS's in play, it was fun but we spent more time clearing jams and chasing shells than shooting at each other. That's when I started acquiring more conventional blasters.

Edit: That first war took place indoors in a 15'x30' room which is HUGE considering the craptastic ranges of the shell based guns. Luckily, the room was barren except for 3 couches which were used as forts/walls/cover. The hard vinyl floor also made things very slippery.

#187247 Comparison Between Lbb And Bbbb

Posted by Aimless on 03 November 2008 - 05:45 PM in General Nerf

Well, when I was trying to decide which one to get and asked a few people, the general answer I got was that the big blast is a little bit better. It has a bigger air tank, longer pump stroke (which means it takes less pumps to fill it) and it has the more durable steel firing pin, as opposed the the LBB's plastic one.

One more neat little fact, the valve on the Big Blast opens faster than the one on the LBB due to the way the air pressure adds to the pull weight, the pin doesn't move until you exceed the pressure on the valve, once you past the breaking point, the 10-30lbs you're pulling on the trigger with will slam the valve open. The LBB on the other hand, can be half-pulled to slowly vent the tank, however, that also means you have to yank the trigger as fast as you can or your range will suffer.

#187144 Comparison Between Lbb And Bbbb

Posted by Aimless on 02 November 2008 - 10:29 PM in General Nerf

A shot of the internals if anyone is wondering how they compare.

Posted Image

#186018 Your Oprv And You

Posted by Aimless on 28 October 2008 - 01:25 PM in Modifications

Aimless:

How far did you tighten the screw?

Also:
-Did you tighten it all the way down?
-How much is "all the way"? That is, does it take a few turns to tighten it as much as possible, or less than a full turn?

I don't remember the exact amount of turns, 2-3 maybe, but I tightened it as far as it will go without forcing it, it actually doesn't take much force to turn the screw.

#185952 Your Oprv And You

Posted by Aimless on 27 October 2008 - 09:19 PM in Modifications

Very cool. Perhaps one could simply cut off the end of the pump, tighten the screw, and glue it back precisely. I'm pretty sure the Mega Missile has an identical OPRV.

The Mega Missile does in fact have an identical OPRV right down to the screw, tightening it all the way brings the relief pressure up to around 26 pumps, 8 more than at the stock setting.

Edit: If you are keeping the stock trigger setup, the excessive flexing of the trigger will bend the firing pin out of shape and possibly crack the rear of the chamber.

Edit2: Now with pics!
Posted Image
The screw of awesome. Turn clockwise for MAX POWA!

Posted Image
Bent pin and crack in rear of tank, caused by the flexing of the trigger.

#183778 Breeches

Posted by Aimless on 14 October 2008 - 07:45 PM in Modifications

... I don't really think that you could do that without a dremel unless you are God him self with a hacksaw.

I made this using only a hacksaw and files, it just takes a looooong time to get them done.
Posted Image

You can cut breeches out of PETG and brass with just basic hand tools, you just have to be really patient. A hobby knife is enough for cutting PETG, as for brass, a fine-tooth saw, files, and really steady hands will do.

#183541 Stock Lube?

Posted by Aimless on 13 October 2008 - 07:25 PM in General Nerf

Yeah, and then theres that really weird white gunk that I found inside DTGs and a few other guns.

White lithium grease, probably. The best stuff there is for roll-up garage door tracks. On plastics ... I don't know.

That white grease is actually just thick silicone grease. As for using white lithium grease on plastics, it's the petroleum-base oils that eat away at it, but from my experience, I have yet to see plastic parts damaged by petroleum products, but avoid using petroleum-based lubes on plastics if you can. Rubber (O-rings, seals, belts) on the other hand, does not get along well with petroleum oils,as they eat away at it and dry it out, shrinking and stiffening it. Stiff, shrunken O-rings don't seal well.

#183205 Recons Recalled

Posted by Aimless on 12 October 2008 - 10:41 AM in General Nerf

I love the section about injury to the chest, hands and face. How the heck do you get it caught on your face? This is gonna be my new mission. No one will rest till they are shown how they can get it caught on their face.

Maybe someone used the plunger tube as a cheek rest or put the end of the tube against their cheek and pulled the gun back while firing, having the gun slam into face.

#182976 What Belongs In A Nerf Workshop?

Posted by Aimless on 11 October 2008 - 10:03 AM in General Nerf

Now, as to the question—does anyone have a good idea what sort of adhesive Hasbro uses for the internals of some of their pump air guns? I'm thinking specifically about the Titan air tank and Hornet internals I have lying about at the moment. I'd love to have a better idea of what sort of glue that is before I go hacking into those parts.

From the way the bonds look, I think it's either something from the plasti-weld line or plastic specific epoxy, also, Buzz Bee and Lanard use copious amounts of epoxy.

#182916 Eliminator Write-up

Posted by Aimless on 10 October 2008 - 10:17 PM in Modifications

Whats with the black ring on the very end of the barrel assembly?

Posted Image

Have you tried velcroing all 6 of them onto a vest or piece of clothing?

#182561 Cpvc, And Where To Buy

Posted by Aimless on 09 October 2008 - 11:04 AM in General Nerf

McMaster Carr online

Doesn't offer copper-size PVC pipe.

CPVC is a location dependent item. It's not available near me either.

I beg to differ, item 5037K31 on page 195 is indeed copper-size PVC pipe, though McMaster has it labeled as "CPVC Tubing", fittings are on the same page too.

#182560 Recons Recalled

Posted by Aimless on 09 October 2008 - 10:59 AM in General Nerf

Why in the hell would people file reports of their children's stupidity?

#182477 Cpvc, And Where To Buy

Posted by Aimless on 08 October 2008 - 07:57 PM in General Nerf

Just a note, the McMasterCarr cpvc has an extremely small I.D. of about .469" and the inside surface is textured and will shred darts at high enough velocities.

#182274 Nerf Guns In School!

Posted by Aimless on 07 October 2008 - 08:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Nerf blasters are not weapons and unless the school has something stating that a bright plastic toy that launches foam darts are not allowed. Then it's perfectly fine.

On a related note, I was allowed to bring my spud launcher to school for physics.

Actually, in most school districts, anything that launches a projectile, be it foam or lead, counts as a weapon, even a stock AT2k. On a related note, the NYC Board of Education puts Nerf blasters and similar foam shooting devices in the same category as air-guns (pellet/BBs), thongs used as slingshots also fall in the same category.

#181842 Whats Your Target?

Posted by Aimless on 05 October 2008 - 09:00 PM in General Nerf

Think you have enough nitefinders? :)

For now, I think. I'm thinking of making a vest covered in holsters, imagine if you will, your torso covered in Nitefinders, all loaded and attached with a retractable lanyard.

#181832 Whats Your Target?

Posted by Aimless on 05 October 2008 - 08:39 PM in General Nerf

Here's Carl the Pillow.
Posted Image
The movie poster is there to cover-up dents in the plaster/cement wall. It actually is possible to damage plaster walls with hot glue tipped stefans, though it takes velocities of over 400fps to do any damage.

Also, Nitefinders, lots of them, thanks to KB Toys and their awesome sales.

As for the mismatched sheets and pillow cases, as long as I can sleep on it I don't mind what color/print it is.

#181813 Mms 1100

Posted by Aimless on 05 October 2008 - 08:01 PM in Modifications

Nice, I bet the recoil feels awesome too.

#181618 Favorite Pistol/secondary?

Posted by Aimless on 04 October 2008 - 11:10 PM in Modifications

Some pictures of the "duo". Both have PETG barrels, springs changed/added, and can vacuum-load.
Posted Image
Posted Image