KirbySaysHi's Content

There have been 100 items by KirbySaysHi (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#83210 Co2 Nf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 13 June 2006 - 03:12 PM in Homemades

If you really want a co2 powered nerf gun, go buy a paintball gun by Brass Eagle called "Ghost" or "Blade02". They're the cheapest possible (for a paintball gun). Stick a mega stefan down the barrel, and pull the trigger. Done. Seriously. You don't need to add any sort of barrel, it fits already. If you want, you can cut off a bunch of plastic from the thing and mess around with a breech. About 40 shots at the most per cartridge. I did it with a ghost, before turning into a co2 airsoft gun (which, by the way, is a waste of money. You could kill somebody with that gun). For Nerf though, you need to make extrememly strong stefans, and replace them often. The gun becomes so powerful that the wear and tear on stefans is much higher than on a nerf blaster.

AND.. Yakkman did this same thing to a Blade02 gun back in the day, although I believe he modified it to shoot micros.

#83208 Reinforcing Nf Internals

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 13 June 2006 - 03:04 PM in Modifications

My brother's NF did the same thing... I recently bought a brand new NF, but this time I epoxied the connection of the shaft to the plunger head. No problems yet...

#83155 Mad Hornet Cpvc Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 12 June 2006 - 01:23 AM in Modifications

Hey, this is quality, good job! I popped it into the directory, but could you resize the pictures? They're very nice, but on a screen like mine (1024x768), it's pretty hard to tell what's going on!

By the way, you have the honor of the first Mad Hornet mod to be added to the directory. Gawrsh!

Copy!

#82945 Co2 Nf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2006 - 09:19 PM in Homemades

Anyways, umm... would it be a smarter way to go with a craola barrel then PVC pipe? I mean I know fast decompresion makes it cold (isn't that how they make Nitrogyen?) and might make it explode... But how many times would I be safe to do this without it doing so?

As long as the PVC isn't under pressure, you're fine. By pressure, I mean compressed air in a tank made of PVC. If you're just using pvc/cpvc to make a barrel/breech system, then you shouldn't need to worry about the cold. The PVC will hold for more than enough time for the pressure to be released by the dart exiting the barrel.

#82943 Airsoft Springs

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2006 - 09:02 PM in Modifications

If you go to your hardware store and buy this:

http://www.lowes.com...P23973&pad=true

(enter your zip code, it will show up)

You can use any nerf gun to shoot airsoft pellets. They fit perfectly into this tubing. They're not very accurate, though, and even my little Tanfoglio could outshoot a modified nite-finder any day, both in ROF, distance, and accuracy.

Shotguns for the win!

Any other questions, you can PM me... since this is a Nerf forum.

EDIT: While I was typing, Yogurt posted... Airsoft is actually just a scaled down version of a nerf plunger/tube, as far as I know. It's not like the spring hits the airsoft round: a plunger compresses air behind the round and the resultant force causes it to travel down the barrel. Of course, I may be wrong. Does anybody here know for sure?

#82355 A.b.p

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 26 May 2006 - 05:11 AM in Homemades

It depends on your application:

If you've got high pressure, then you need low volume.

If you've got low pressure, then you need high volume.

For a nerf dart, the high pressure low volume tends to work well, where as with a cannon, low pressure high volume works well.

As far as actual psi... I have no idea. In writing this, I realized I probabaly wasn't any help. Sorry for that?

#82294 Nerf War/assassins On Fox9

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 24 May 2006 - 03:42 PM in General Nerf

Modifications are another whole can of worms...

I enjoyed this. It really made me laugh to see that news broadcasters are dorky and fake where ever you go.

I forgot what I was going to add to this...

Oh right. Are you guys calling the war-type game assassins, or just the actual assassins-type game, where everyone is in the stealth mode in everyday life? There were definitely a few moments in that broadcast where confusion between the terms was apparent.

Hokay. I definitely need to get an assassins game going with my co-workers.

Copy!

#81098 The Reaper

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 02 May 2006 - 08:43 AM in Homemades

I noticed you were waiting for a CO2 pump from your local bike shop...

I tried one of those (if it's the same idea..), and the volume just isn't there in a 12 gram CO2 to fill up a larger air tank.

But maybe it will, ya never know.

Copy!

#80809 Maverick Pvc Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 26 April 2006 - 01:37 AM in Modifications

Rings said it, but just to hear it from the source:

I only put mods in the directory from THIS site. Once all the older mods are added, then I'll start branching out with an actual website to take on the NIC. Grinch and I talked a little about it awhile ago, but right now I just don't have time.

Copy!

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks for the thoughts Spartan. If you'd like to contribute (by searching and sending me links and such) just let me know.

#80673 Mod Directory Notification Posts

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 23 April 2006 - 05:48 PM in Site Feedback

Why don't you just post multiple times and bump your own thread, citing "added___(insert mod here)______ to the directory". That way, your "Directory" post gets in on the current update box, and you won't have a half dozen ancient posts with your name as the last poster.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I'll do that from now on.

Copy!

#80526 Mod Directory Notification Posts

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 03:17 AM in Site Feedback

Folks,

I'm trying to add a post to every topic I add to the directory that says, "Added to the directory," or something to that extent. Obviously, I'm not going to start posting on years-old posts, but I am going to post on topics within the month or so.

The reason for this topic is really just to tell everyone that I don't mean to incite any old-topic posting flames, but rather want to make it easy to know if a mod has been added to the directory without having to check the actual directory. The other reason is that at the moment of this topic, the first five (!) topics of the modifications forum have me as the newest poster... I wouldn't want people to get annoyed with "overposts" when many are just directory notifications.

If anyone disagrees with this method, just let me know, and I'll stop.

Copy!

#80525 C02 Gun!

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 03:05 AM in Homemades

I'd like to add, that when I've delt with CO2, it tends to be inneficient directly out of the cartridge (the cold temperature decreases the available pressure). That's why I THINK (I'm not sure) most paintball guns have an expansion chamber between the barrel, tank, and trigger; to allow the compressed air to warm up, even slightly to give more efficient pressures. But I could be wrong about this. What I'm saying, is that if the flow is horrible, or you find yourself using a lot of CO2 per shot, try creating an expansion chamber with another valve as a trigger. When I turned a Brass Eagle Ghost (I think it was called that) into a Nerf gun (inspired by Yakkman), I remember getting about 30 shots per cartridge, each shot going about 90 feet on the average, and most of my stefans getting blown apart from the excess force. So that demonstrates the potential of a CO2 powered gun...

Good luck, and brass all the way!

#80524 Angels Bbb

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 02:58 AM in Modifications

Added to the directory...

Copy!

[Sorry for the late post]

#80523 Sspb Mini Shooter

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 02:55 AM in Modifications

Added to the directory!

Copy!

#80522 Sharpshooter 1 Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 02:53 AM in Modifications

Nice mod, pal... and I'm sorry it took me so long to add it to the directory!

But first entries are always something special, eh?

Copy!

#80521 Big Bad Bow Re-release Basic Micro Dart Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 02:44 AM in Modifications

Pictures may be unneccessary if you own the gun, but for me, they're mandatory when it comes to adding mods to the directory. If you add pics, then this dealio will get added to the directory ASAP. Otherwise, no go...

Copy!

#80520 Nitro Quad Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 21 April 2006 - 02:37 AM in Modifications

Hey, nice work! I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Is this a Nerf gun, or a knockoff, and is the official name the Nitro Quad?

2) May I take refuge with you when the Zombies attack? I love that book.

I ask the first question because I'm wondering where to put this mod in the directory, and I've never heard of this gun before!

Actually, the same goes for your other recently posted mod, the Coral Viper... I haven't heard of that one either. Once you let me know, they'll both go into the mod directory!

I'm not sure how I missed out on these guns... unless they were way before the bow and arrow or something...

Copy!

#79781 The Yellow Jacket

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 12 April 2006 - 11:48 PM in Homemades

Vinyl tubing. You can get it in a variety of sizes...

Or, if you're trying to get to CPVC, then use some vinyl (they nest with a little bit of soapy water), and for the rest of the way, use a bicycle innertube.

How?

Well, you cut the innertube into long strips, about a half inch wide. Then you wrap the inner-pipe with the tube in a candy-cane pattern, and thread the pipe into the larger pipe. It forms nearly an airtight seal.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Copy!

#79111 My Electric Eel Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 April 2006 - 02:47 PM in Modifications

I assume you bought one of those special screwdrivers then, eh? I tried opening mine up years ago, but didn't feel like buying a special driver kit.

Or did you figure out a way to use a standard tool?

Copy!

#78967 College, Etc.

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 06 April 2006 - 12:16 AM in Off Topic

Thank you, Janga!

#78841 Modification Page

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 05 April 2006 - 07:20 AM in General Nerf

If people already have write-ups that don't appear in the directory, presumably, they can easily ask Kirby to add it.

YES! I may be slow, and I may be sick of searching and reading through 10 pages of results, but it WILL be complete at one point.

And then someone else will make another mod.

And thanks for the compliment, ambushbug!

Copy!

#78840 College, Etc.

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 05 April 2006 - 07:15 AM in Off Topic

I think I'll be the most inactive member to relay plans...

I'm in the same boat as Shindig, with about 5 weeks or so of my sophomore year at UW Madison until sweet, sweet summer, when I get to make money and play shows in Milwaukee, Madison, Appleton, maybe Illinois and Iowa as well rockin the piano with my Bop Rock band called Ticket251.

Otherwise, I'm currently undeclared and running out of time, but I'm trying to get a major created for me that focuses on making music out of foam projectiles.

Actually, I'm thinking about graphic design. But, I'm pretty sure I could BS that above major into existence.

Speaking of art, I'm up at this early hour because I just stayed up all night working on an art video involving eggs being dropped upon me.

And the bands:
ticket251.com
thebeeves.com
charkdocolate.com
George Dust (no site yet... sorry!)

So, if anybody's in the Madison area, and feels like talking/getting hit with foam, give me a ring. A ding a ding.

Wow.

Oh duce, as far as Lawrence goes... they've got a great jazz program, and a wonderful "classical" program as well... but if you're more into the electronic side of musical performance/production, perhaps you might want to look at University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee? I've heard they have a great electro-acoustic sound department... because at somewhere like Lawrence or U of M, it's either going to be classical, or jazz (which is really classical with some jazz added in for spice), but all the sound production stuff (like recording, mastering, mixing, etc) you're going to have to learn on your own. But, Lawrence does have the Fred Sturm. Good man, he is. (Appleton is one of my home towns.)

OR, you could head over to UW Oshkosh, as they have a double major program: sound engineer AND a music major. Which means you're basically a god at audio, and pretty good at an instrument. It also means you worked your butt off. But music majors do that anyway, eh?

Sheesh I'm wordy.

Copy!

#78564 Extending Barrel Tip

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 03 April 2006 - 10:33 AM in Modifications

I don't have access to my usual tools right now, or else I'd try this...

I was wondering though, ShadowS said that this stuff sticks to CPVC or PVC when you try to make a dart out of it. Well, what if you lube up your tube with either some grease, olive oil, vegetable oil, pam, wd-40, ANYTHING like that. Or, if you rolled some wax paper into the pipe, then sprayed it, it seems like the paper might come off pretty easily.

As to it being more porous than FBR... I think the point here is that you wouldn't need to worry about straightening it. That's usually the problem with my Stefans, since I'm too lazy to do something about it (although I usually straighten them by leaving them in barrel pipes).

Still though, any takers? I'm pretty fired up about this... but I don't have time/materials to try it out (being in my apartment).

Copy!

#77996 Split-tech 2k

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 29 March 2006 - 12:18 AM in Modifications

Question:

Do you consider this an AT2K integration (at2k into another gun)? I do, and when the second part is done, I'll post them both in the directory under Spitfire integrations. What do you think about that?

Copy!

#77945 Maverick End-clip -[update]-

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 28 March 2006 - 06:14 PM in Modifications

Added to the directory, good job for sure!

Copy!

#77785 Airtech 2000 Single Barrel

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 March 2006 - 02:05 AM in Modifications

Added to the Directory!

Copy!

#75535 To Those Who've Cpvc's Mavericks...

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 March 2006 - 11:19 PM in Modifications

Are those ranges an average or just single shots?

See what I mean though? It's hit or miss, brother.

Copy!

#75457 To Those Who've Cpvc's Mavericks...

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 March 2006 - 01:27 AM in Modifications

I also agree.

Also, without creating a better seal between the plunger and the turret, any range gained with using cpvc will probably be missed. I've done the cpvc mod, and the turret is in such an unhappy balance that it's tough to see any improvement.

Copy!

#74776 An In-line, High Capacity Clip

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 01 March 2006 - 02:59 AM in Homemades

I was just wondering what mechanism you used for your trigger? That's the part that always stumps me when dealing with homemades.

Also, your plunger looks really heavy with the handle on the end of it... is it, or am I being deceived?

Great work though, it looks super solid and quite simple when compared to other clips and loading mechanisms!

Copy!

#74775 Airsoft To Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 01 March 2006 - 02:49 AM in Modifications

I also wanted to add... that I've tried this, with almost the same marker as used by Yakman. Let me put it this way: unneccesary and waste of money when it comes to darts. If you want to get a good kick out of something, go and try it, but it's really impractical for nerfing for a couple of reasons.

1) CO2 becomes expensive (I'm not talking about nerf expensive, I mean expensive in the real world)
2)It's so powerful that the darts destroy themselves after one or two shots.
3)If someone got hit with this and the dart was intact... well it would be like getting hit with a plastic-coated steel weight at paintball velocities. Which is exactly what a stefan is...
4)Those cheap paintball markers have no way to change the air regulation, and the method used to release air from the canister is very primitive. This means that there is never any consistency between shots, AND you waste a ton of CO2 in the process.
5) So let's say you bought a really good paintball marker, and avoided the problems of #4... well now you just spent a ton of money on a product that is only going to shoot a stefan marginally farther. There is a limit to how far these things can be flung... and I think those limits are called physics.

But, it was totally fun to see foam fly that far and fast!

Also, there's a website that was dedicated to turning a cheap paintball marker into an airsoft s n i p e r rifle (there are these types in airsoft). He goes a little more in depth about the problems with these cheap markers.

Unconventional Airsoft - Gas Gun

I also made a variation on this beast... if anybody wants more info, PM me... this is a nerf forum, after all!

Copy!

#74343 Scout Pistol Mods?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 26 February 2006 - 02:20 AM in Modifications

While I've never modded the Scout, I can't really offer any help, but maybe be a little more specific (pictures?) in your query?

Otherwise, check the mod directory, I know for a fact that ompa's scout mod is sitting there.

Copy!

#74123 Sspb

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 24 February 2006 - 08:16 AM in Modifications

Just to add my two cents...

In my experience with the Derringers of Nerf, I've found them to be finicky bastards when it comes to sealing those pistons. Even the slightest bit of plastic dust/shaving/fleck will cause the piston to fail to seal; if this happens, it works best for me to take a paper clip, bend it a bit, and scrape the piston clear of obstruction.

The point of all this, is that when replacing the barrel, be sure to have the barrel pointing down to minimize gunk getting in the piston. Also, the pressure release can be plugged, but it's really not necessary: these things are powerful enough as it is. Also, as far as an air tank expansion goes: yeah, it works, but only to an extent. The valve is only so large, so it would be very easy to create an "air bottleneck" with a larger tank. Honestly, just put a CPVC barrel on there and call it a day.

I tried utilizing simply the valve by adding a larger pump and airtank, but the valve just isn't made to handle much higher pressures (my gun didn't blow, but it was nearly impossible to get it to seal, and when it did, the volumes just weren't there for effective nerfing).

I think the SSPB could be my favorite gun... Makes me feel like a male version of Derringer Meryl, minus the cloak.

Good luck pal, and rock that shitakke at all times.

Copy!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Lefty's mod works wonders. The air tank is the cylindrical area between the barrel (piston) and the pump. Basically, the top "L" of the gun is the airtank (not counting the barrel). So, if you were to saw off the pump and the barrel, you'd have an airtank. Which would be worthless. Almost.

#71771 Maverick Seal Improvement

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 January 2006 - 07:55 PM in Modifications

Not to mention, an o-ring might make a great seal, but also greatly impede the turret.

Added to the directory...

Copy!

#71540 An Actual "nite Finder" Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 23 January 2006 - 03:09 PM in Modifications

Hey, that's great. I think the next steps are pretty clear from here, since it's just soldering, right? Good work!

Copy!

#71330 Maverick...

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 January 2006 - 05:58 PM in Modifications

... unless you've got a broken mav or something. My mav's cocking pin bent and eventually fell out, so that might be a candidate for something...

Copy!

#71301 An Actual "nite Finder" Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 January 2006 - 01:14 AM in Modifications

Wow, that's nice. It REALLY needs pictures for the installation of the light though, to really be a kickass write-up.

It goes in the directory, just because it's cool. But it would have even a higher awesomeness factor if there were pictures to accompany the light (and by "IT" I mean the write-up; the gun is awesome regardless!).

Copy!

#71157 First Modifications (plus Questions)

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 18 January 2006 - 02:09 PM in Modifications

You can't extend the barrels because the grey hinge is right up against the edge of the barrels and with a barrel extension the drum wouldn't rotate.

I believe he was talking about sawing the entire front of the gun off, including the grey hinge-mechanism, thus alllowing for longer barrels. I think there was a previous topic on this (or at least a post). I would recommend just buying a maverick, and using it for its ROF, and not doing anything to it (except the swing out mod). I tried modding mine by putting in CPVC barrels and it doesn't fire as well as my brother's stock. The reason for this is the gap between the cylinder and the plunger, as when you take the cylinder apart, this upsets the careful spacing of the unmodded gun.

But if you do find some awesome way to extend the barrels and it works, let us all know!

Oh maverick: it's proof that clothing doesn't make you cool.

Copy!

#70739 Perfecting Ompas Titan Mod.

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 10 January 2006 - 05:51 PM in Modifications

It has been added! [to the directory]

Copy!

#70738 Cpvc/pvc Breech Writeup

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 10 January 2006 - 05:48 PM in Modifications

Added to mods directory...

Good Jorb!

Copy!

#70737 Artemis Arms Bulldog (nf)

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 10 January 2006 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

Well this goes in the write-up directory... Nice write-up!

I also eagerly anticipate NerfMonkey's results of his experiment. I'd try it myself, but pretty much the entire town of Appleton, WI, is out of Nite Finders.

Copy!