Kyrativ's Content

There have been 122 items by Kyrativ (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#363441 Springers or Flywheels?

Posted by Kyrativ on 26 October 2018 - 05:30 PM in General Nerf

I'm an older nerfer, and I'll never stray from the springers and air blasters. That said, the flywheel revolution that has occurred has its benefits. Flywheels are fairly easy to modify if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it, parts like motors, batteries, and wire will need to be ordered, but there's many options available now. Springers are easier to upgrade with a basic set of tools and parts from the hobby or hardware store.

The other thing to consider is the difference of play style. High rof flywheel blasters work well for getting in to action and dumping foam in mass. This means you're going to require a lot of mags, and some way of holding them on your person.

Springers are generally slower in rof, this requires a bigger focus on accuracy, and making your shots count. This is offset by usually having a lighter load as spare mags aren't as critical, or not needed at all, depending on the blaster.

It sounds like you've got a good choice of entry level blasters, so now it's a matter of getting to games and learning what works for you.

#362492 Vancouver Island Nerfers?

Posted by Kyrativ on 07 February 2018 - 05:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the necro guys, but I want to help. There's a decently active community here in Vancouver. Check out B.C. Nerf Alliance on Facebook, that's the group where we do all our way discussion. Obviously it's a bit of a quiet time right now, but summer we have games probably once or twice a month.

#327645 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by Kyrativ on 05 March 2013 - 08:52 AM in General Nerf

I'm not sure why you guys took the OP super seriously when he posts gems like this:

Being an excited preteen is one thing; having 0 critical reasoning ability is another. A key to not being a scrub at real life is to find the small nuggets of truth in the piles of bullshit.

I have to agree with this, I've been modifying nerf guns for several years and I've found that 100% of the time, removing the faux barrel increases range. As for rifling, there is no way you could get the foam to expand enough to grab any grooves while still having enough power to heave the barrel. The reason rifling works in real guns is because the heat expands the bullet and it grabs the grooves. If the barrel isnt detachable, it's nothing a hacksaw can't fix.

#327296 Roughcut Turret Trouble

Posted by Kyrativ on 24 February 2013 - 10:26 PM in Modifications

I've also had issues with mine, i removed the posts now the first two shots are regular strength but the rest decline in power to the point where the last two rarely even fire. I think it's an issue with how the cap things that determine the barrel seal with the barrels. Not sure how to fix it so I'll probably just directly attach a double barrel system to each plunger, maybe integrate something in the empty space...

#327251 Strongarm AR Removal

Posted by Kyrativ on 23 February 2013 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

Saw this in a Walmart today, would love to get my hands on a few for a rebarreling and upgraded spring, an 80' "maverick" wouldn't be shabby at all.

#327178 How has everyone been? who's still around?

Posted by Kyrativ on 22 February 2013 - 06:03 AM in Off Topic

It's crazy. I've had my guns in a bin for like, years now. I got a few out, and it was just like second nature, opened them up, tuned them up in only a few hours, and they still fire like a nail driver.
I'm trying to make 2013 a big come back year. wait and see.

Heh I'm sure if It was a night finder or long shot I couldve worked wonders on it but these new blasters are pretty complex. Hasbro is starting to out engineer us!

#327168 How has everyone been? who's still around?

Posted by Kyrativ on 22 February 2013 - 12:36 AM in Off Topic

Been scanning the forums over the past week or so...attempted modding a rough-cut but it's been a good 2 years since I've touched a screwdriver so things went...poorly. Still no nerf scene in western Canada it looks like. Good to see a few names from back in the day.

#320665 Hey Guys, iNerfHaven Dev Here UPDATED ANDROID VERSION TO BETA 4

Posted by Kyrativ on 19 August 2012 - 01:24 AM in General Nerf

Pic works for me, I say use the nerfy orange scheme.

#320602 International Megawar

Posted by Kyrativ on 17 August 2012 - 02:19 AM in Nerf Wars

Ooooh good to hear umbra! I've been away from the NIC for some time now but I'm glad to hear things like this are happening. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents. Now then, might have to blow the dust of the guns I have left and plan for a nice little road trip next summer...

#320550 International Megawar

Posted by Kyrativ on 16 August 2012 - 01:19 AM in Nerf Wars

News flash! It doesn't have to suck, open up the rules a little more and make it more general community friendly to attract more people. To the people who don't think it will become of anything, your not helping. It won't become of anything of everyone shuts it down and doesn't go, why not have everyone possible all just get together as a community, plan to go, and have (hopefully) a hell of a time at a war that has potential to become legendary?

#307194 Alternative Ammo

Posted by Kyrativ on 10 November 2011 - 12:37 AM in Darts and Barrels

Briefly scanned through this topic, all i have to say is;

when I joined nerf every other post used the word "foam" we used it like the smurf language. My personal beliefs are that we should stick to our 90's roots of flinging foam at friends from foam filled firearms, what an alliteration! This is, however, an impressive device for measuring the maximum capabilities of modded blasters but should be left out of wars.

#304454 Homemade Vortex Discs

Posted by Kyrativ on 07 September 2011 - 11:37 PM in Darts and Barrels

Heh thanks for the credit in the write-up, Im for anything that helps the community as a whole. I'm defiantly excited for when these blasters come out and to make some homemade disks and do some testing of my own.

#304292 Homemade Vortex Discs

Posted by Kyrativ on 04 September 2011 - 05:57 PM in Darts and Barrels

i could see this being easier if you were to get 3/4" id foam and place it over the PVC, wrap the entire rod in craft foam, head over to a cutting device, and make your sushi, basically it would cut out 2 or 3 steps.

#303828 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Kyrativ on 25 August 2011 - 04:38 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Made up this the other weekend, my first homemade. 6" plunger tube, bbb spring, will be making a in-line clip barrel for it soon.

#303741 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 22 August 2011 - 07:39 PM in General Nerf

Yeah I've already done all that, when I buy a gun it doesn't go more than 3 hours before it gets cracked open lol.

#303724 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 22 August 2011 - 01:02 PM in General Nerf

I'm gonna order one of these for m longstrike within the week, I'll let you guys know how it performs.

#303548 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 19 August 2011 - 10:34 AM in General Nerf

My point is that need guns just naturally aren't heavy, people dart around with full metal airsoft and paintball guns in their respective sports just fine. I'm sure anyone could manage a nerf gun with a little added weight, in fact it might almost be nice.

#303478 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 17 August 2011 - 11:20 PM in General Nerf

Seriously? You could replace a nerf guns internals will lead and it still would be lighter than a feather compared to things like paintball or airsoft guns.

#303303 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 13 August 2011 - 07:29 PM in General Nerf

You guys seem to be avoiding the dart tag guns, any reason for that?

#303105 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by Kyrativ on 09 August 2011 - 01:37 PM in General Nerf

Although I believe that these mod kits are a very cool idea, I think the execution could be better. I mean, these kits are made to take the work out of modding, and despite the pro of having only a screwdriver as a necessary tool, they take the creativity factor out. In addition, I think that they could have chose more traditional materials (ABS or PVC) as with custom milled aluminum is just way too expensive. $17 for something you can easily replicate the same ranges for by just going out and buying a suitable replacement spring for 3-4 dollars is not worth it in my opinion. That said, I think that did a great job on advertising and allowing for nerf youtubers to test.

So your saying someone who's never opened a nerf gun before can go out, buy a new spring and some PVC and do the exact same thing as an omw kit? Including the whole new perfect sealing breech thing...I don't think so

#302160 Nerf Mortar

Posted by Kyrativ on 24 July 2011 - 09:55 AM in Homemades

That's pretty sweet, I'm not sure how war effective it would be but still neat, barrel wise you should absolutely make some nano Stefan shotgun barrels and maybe one for those mini nerf vortex footballs.

#301643 Near-Semi-Auto Rifle

Posted by Kyrativ on 16 July 2011 - 01:12 AM in Modifications

Meh I've got a busted magstrike, I might scrap the piston and do this to it, does I require that super soaker or could it work with any air tank?

#301336 New Nerf Guns

Posted by Kyrativ on 11 July 2011 - 10:40 AM in News

So after seeing some pictures and such of the captain America shield thing it got me wondering if the suspected flywheel blaster will use 1 wheel or 2...

#301122 Captain America Disc Launching Shield

Posted by Kyrativ on 06 July 2011 - 11:20 PM in Modifications

Oh right right right I see what you guys are saying...would it be possible then to wrap some e tape around the free spinning wheel to add more pressure on the motorized wheel, more intense of a curve but also more range.

#301098 Captain America Disc Launching Shield

Posted by Kyrativ on 06 July 2011 - 02:13 PM in Modifications

What if you were buy an equivalent size/power motor and install it in the place of the free spinning wheel, you get more power and even the accuracy out.

#300991 Nerf in Hawaii

Posted by Kyrativ on 04 July 2011 - 12:26 PM in General Nerf

I'm in Hawaii for Christmas+new years, well have to get together and exchange some foam.

#300733 New Nerf Guns

Posted by Kyrativ on 29 June 2011 - 12:54 AM in News

The vigilon and praxis dont seem to interest me but the nitron has quite a long stock which hopefully, though probably not, means a long plunger...if these even use plungers. The proton also looks pretty sweet, It seems like it would be a good back up since its so simple to load yet it maintains the reliability and simplicity of a single shot.

That is all the speculation I will engage in for this series.

Edit: derp the nitron is likely a flywheel gun, not a plunger; based on the grey cylinder sticking out infront of the mag.

#300310 Calgary area nerfers

Posted by Kyrativ on 21 June 2011 - 05:57 PM in Nerf Wars

So as some of you may know I've returned after a long hiatus from nerf, I'm just curious what the state of nerfers is like in the Calgary/southern Alberta area and if there's any interest in having a war this July ish.

#294949 Archangel

Posted by Kyrativ on 22 February 2011 - 07:32 PM in Homemades

ahh I see, i was kinda really excited about this when i first saw it and my ideas were running a little rampant haha.

Anyway still great design!

#294873 Archangel

Posted by Kyrativ on 21 February 2011 - 10:27 PM in Homemades

I'm wondering if it would be possible to combine the burst fire functions of this with the homemade magstrike piston doo-dad that was around here a while back...seriously this could revolutionize nerf homemades. Could you imagine a magazine fed burst fire capable nerf homemade?

#294821 Archangel

Posted by Kyrativ on 21 February 2011 - 12:42 PM in Homemades

That is hands down one of the most awesome homemades I've ever seen.

I look forward to ranges and any more details on the build process. The whole build looks quite well put together and is very organized looking.

#294739 Mr Potato Head

Posted by Kyrativ on 20 February 2011 - 01:27 AM in Off Topic

...I'm just gonna get this out there because were all thinking it

I don't get it.

#294495 Night Vision For N-strike

Posted by Kyrativ on 14 February 2011 - 11:00 PM in General Nerf

Dude get that longstrike barrel of there, I know to you it looks dmr tacticool but it's probably killing your range...if your using it to cover an outer barrel (which I can't imagine) why not use the extension that comes with the spectre? Give that a pj and it might actually look alright, even though there's a superfluous tacticool scope on it.

#293666 Mcmaster Carr 1/2" Cpvc Seaching

Posted by Kyrativ on 31 January 2011 - 09:53 PM in Modifications

Try pm-ing someone else in your state or nearby states and see if they could send you a bundle of 2.5' lengths.

#293575 Night Vision For N-strike

Posted by Kyrativ on 30 January 2011 - 12:55 AM in General Nerf

night vision scope-$55
magpul buis-$85
raider-$30

looking like a milsim douche at HvZ games-priceless.

Seriously whats the point of scopes and iron sights and all that? Its nerf, not a bunch of tacticool magpul operators operating, its a bunch of childish grown ups shooting foam at each other.

To each their own. I have a set of mbus so i felt like putting them on. Keep your opinions to yourself. I'm merely showing options and how the night vision could be used for nerf.

Im not saying that its not useful I'm saying that your kinda stretching the use of irons and scopes and all that; its not totally necessary for the nerf atmosphere, applications, and limits.

Thats said to each his own, i'll stick with hip firing haha.

#293572 Night Vision For N-strike

Posted by Kyrativ on 30 January 2011 - 12:15 AM in General Nerf

night vision scope-$55
magpul buis-$85
raider-$30

looking like a milsim douche at HvZ games-priceless.

Seriously whats the point of scopes and iron sights and all that? Its nerf, not a bunch of tacticool magpul operators operating, its a bunch of childish grown ups shooting foam at each other.

#293480 A Must-have Book For Every Nerfer

Posted by Kyrativ on 28 January 2011 - 01:26 AM in Off Topic

Wow fail sci-fi is failing.

There are some guys from my city who go to events like running races dressed up as Boba Fett, Darth Vader and some stormtroopers, the Boba Fett has a longshot that looks exactly like this one.

Also I'm back, probably didnt have much of a presence for anyone to notice I left, but whatever here I am.

#251569 Q For Citadel Paint Users.

Posted by Kyrativ on 24 September 2009 - 09:39 PM in General Nerf

Damn, kinda sucks to hear that about my old xbow...
ive heard of people/have done myself of soaking minatures in a bath of green works, if you need to remove that paint, it would work just would take a while/lots of green works.

#248327 Resident Evil 4

Posted by Kyrativ on 23 August 2009 - 07:54 PM in Off Topic

I thought this was going to be a spec thread about the next movie but this is even better. Ive got the game, havent beaten it yet, I think its pretty awesome, a little cliche at some parts.

Also I'll throw this out just to make sure its said, please avoid all caps in your posts and also, I hate it when people use the letter Z to replace S.

#236511 Sof Vancouver War (july 21)

Posted by Kyrativ on 15 June 2009 - 06:28 PM in Nerf Wars

*necro* So my buddy and I are still putting to go but in the meantime do we have a list of people going ?