UpperHand's Content

There have been 149 items by UpperHand (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#236254 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by UpperHand on 14 June 2009 - 05:06 PM in Homemades

So I just finished my +bow, but the damn label paper is leaving this sticky residue all over the polycarbonate (laugh it up you pervs). Any idea about what I could that? Im afraid to use any thing because it might erode the plastic. What could I use?

You're supposed to apply the label paper to the protective film that the sheets should come covered with.

I feel like an idiot. And yeah, Ill try goo gone now.

#236180 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by UpperHand on 14 June 2009 - 11:02 AM in Homemades

So I just finished my +bow, but the damn label paper is leaving this sticky residue all over the polycarbonate (laugh it up you pervs). Any idea about what I could that? Im afraid to use any thing because it might erode the plastic. What could I use?

#229061 The Nerf Tank, Flame Thread, No I Have Pictures Its Almost Done

Posted by UpperHand on 08 May 2009 - 06:18 PM in Homemades

I like it! It's cool how you were able to make something out of scraps like that. The only problem I can see is the wheels. You will need some pretty heavy duty ones to hold up the box and your weight, and they will have to be able to swivel. Maybe shopping cart wheels?

#218814 The Ocarina Of Rhyme

Posted by UpperHand on 19 March 2009 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

It uses music, it is set to music, but it most definitely is not music.

The clear test is that it obviously could work exactly as well if set to any of thousands of totally different tunes.

This argument doesn't make much sense. Just because something will "work" over different chord changes or arpeggios doesn't mean it will sound good. A drum beat for Rage against the Machine could work over a Jack Johnson song if they are both in 4/4 time, and would sound really out of place. A solo in the key of G for a folk tune could be played over a metal song in G, or even over a song in C for a mixolydian feel. Just because you can cut and paste music onto other music doesn't mean it isn't music. Look at the mash-up artist Girl Talk. He makes his living mashing all different songs, not just rap.

#218612 Nerfing @ Schools

Posted by UpperHand on 18 March 2009 - 01:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Also, throw some sappy "it's nice to have an event kids who don't like regular sports can come do instead of getting into trouble/drugs/etc"
Like I said, lay it all on really thick until they feel like a total asshole if they say "no"

I laughed when I read this, because it's so true.

#217236 Super Shot 2000

Posted by UpperHand on 09 March 2009 - 09:36 PM in Modifications

Dang, I was going to do that tomorrow! I was gonna use a 3k tank.

No you weren't. I hate when people claim "Oh, I had the exact same Idea and you finished It just before me. Damn!"

On a completely different note, I really like this pistol. It looks cool, but it needs a paintjob. Also you could smooth out the hot glue a tad. Overall though, this has got to one of my favorite easy to fabricate side arms.

#216684 What Have You Given Up For Nerf?

Posted by UpperHand on 06 March 2009 - 10:12 PM in Off Topic

I thought for sure this topic was going to be about what you are giving up for lent, because all you see on the main page is "what have you given up..."
I give up lunches at school sometimes, so I can use the extra money. It adds up.

#215445 The Official Internals Directory

Posted by UpperHand on 27 February 2009 - 09:21 PM in Modifications

Very nice, must have taken a while too. Thanks.

EDIT-- This should be stickied, or at least added into the modification directory or something

#215444 So I Modded My Rf20

Posted by UpperHand on 27 February 2009 - 09:19 PM in Modifications

if you drop that thing on its barrels, they are going to SHATTER under the weight of the RF20.
other than that, it's pretty goddamn awesome.

Don't drop it...

Everyones complaining about so many pumps. This seems like the kind of gun for short rounds such as single elimination, and you'd pump it up beforehand. Then just use your sidearm. That's basically what'll happen with most machine guns for me anyways...

EDIT-- By the way, its a sick gun.

#213857 Dtb/hyperfire Increased Plunger Travel

Posted by UpperHand on 21 February 2009 - 12:02 AM in Modifications

Incredibly nice. Very clean too. This will be great for everyone who adds on the DTG to the front of their longshots.

#213704 Clusterfuck Of A Longshot

Posted by UpperHand on 20 February 2009 - 12:24 PM in Modifications

Holy Shit

Holy shit!

Holy shit.

Nice. I personally like the look of the unpainted PVC sometimes. If you try to paint it, it looks like you half are trying to make it look pretty, when it never will be. Right now it just looks scary. Nice.

#213319 How Old Are You Right Now?

Posted by UpperHand on 18 February 2009 - 05:54 PM in Off Topic

I'm on break, and a lot of people probably are right now. This probably contributes to the underage voting.

#213075 Snap Shotgun

Posted by UpperHand on 17 February 2009 - 05:49 PM in Homemades

Looks sweet. I tried this once but it failed outright. Nice job.

#212321 Machining Polycarbonate

Posted by UpperHand on 14 February 2009 - 09:53 PM in Homemades

I just had a few questions about Polycarbonate, considering I am new to working with the material.

1. What is the best way to get a straight cut in polycarbonate? I read in the beginners guide to machining plastics that a tablesaw with the correct blade will work, but I'm afraid that it will shatter 1/8" polycarb. If I use Mcmaster part #4079A15, will I be OK?

2. What speed should I set a scroll saw at if I want to cut the plastic? I was thinking something around 800 would work, I just wanted confirmation. (I have a Ryobi model; I dont think that matters)

3. Which blades should I use for the scroll saw? (a Mcmaster part # would be greatly appreciated)

Also, any other tips for someone new to this (tapping holes, using the plastic weld, etc) are welcome.

Thanks,
Upperhand

#212314 The Marvelous Magstrike

Posted by UpperHand on 14 February 2009 - 09:10 PM in Modifications

Nevermind my question.

You stole 1/3 of my idea I had for the magstrike.

I'm kind of tired of hearing this. If you have an idea, go out and make it. In the real world, tons of people comes up with the same idea, yet the person who goes and does it and gets a patent is the one making the money.

I have been noticing this a lot lately as well. Just because someone had a similar idea to you and actually made the damn thing shouldn't stop you from making it as well. Their accomplishment doesn't detract from yours. By the way, those BS barrels don't look too straight, is that a problem?

#208688 Glue Gun Screw-up

Posted by UpperHand on 01 February 2009 - 05:05 PM in General Nerf

It's cooked glue. Most likely no problem, just waste a stick to "rinse" it out.

That's true. I did the same thing as JSB.

#207751 Plastic Fumes?

Posted by UpperHand on 29 January 2009 - 09:18 PM in General Nerf

Yeah, the plastic used in stock guns melts at relatively low temperatures. Try to minimize friction as much as possible, sometimes you can even buy bits or saws specifically for plastic. On a side note, if using a dremel on stock plastic, make sure you use goggles. I had a melted piece of plastic fly off and hit my eyebrow, and if it had hit me in the eye, it would have seriously damaged my vision.

#206899 Amazing Spray Paint Art

Posted by UpperHand on 27 January 2009 - 04:06 PM in Off Topic

What was the flame at the end for?

#206892 Amazing Spray Paint Art

Posted by UpperHand on 27 January 2009 - 03:51 PM in Off Topic

I saw on of these guys in Disney world a LONG time ago. It amazes me when you see what they are making, or it first snaps into focus.

#206579 Intergration Poll

Posted by UpperHand on 26 January 2009 - 04:28 PM in Modifications

This makes no sense too, because you can't see what combo of guns the people voted for, just the number of votes per gun. Right now, the firefly and maverick have the most votes, but those wouldn't go well together.

#206362 Quick Question

Posted by UpperHand on 25 January 2009 - 05:50 PM in General Nerf

I'm pretty sure it's just glued, with 2 screws at the bottom. There's no real way to get around that without making a cut or just prying it apart.

#205847 What Guns Do You Use?

Posted by UpperHand on 24 January 2009 - 12:15 AM in General Nerf

The sudden shock of the MT20 powering up, the whoosh of air from my AT2K, and the barrage of MT20 fire was enough to completely disorient the enemy [we play in the dark], so I was able to quickly eliminate several decent players, and win the game for my team.

Why the hell do you play in the dark?

#205840 Air Badwrench... Home Made Air Valve

Posted by UpperHand on 23 January 2009 - 11:43 PM in Homemades

Two questions:
1) How did you find CPVC and PVC that telescope easily? I've never been able to find that. I've always had to sand the heck out of the inside of the PVC or the outside of the CPVC.

If you have a 5/8" spade drill bit, like this one:

Posted Image

you can usually bore the PVC out, if you're careful. It takes a bit of effort, but its much faster than sanding.

True, but don't hold the PVC with your hands. Period. The drill bits catch sometimes and spin the PVC around. Get a clamp or something, because getting cut with PVC spinning really fast hurts. Trust me, it does.

#205414 The Thundersplat, By Splitlip

Posted by UpperHand on 22 January 2009 - 06:07 PM in Modifications

Nice, and it looks very functional! This reminds me of Angels BBB mod. Excellent look as well, very clean.

#205385 Categorizing Mods And Homemades.

Posted by UpperHand on 22 January 2009 - 03:44 PM in General Nerf

It's also important to note that when this forum was new, homemade nerf guns were more of a theoretical topic, and no one had ever really built a gun that was practical, fair, and useful in a nerf war. It's only in the last year or two that anyone has built a homemade that was widely accepted at most wars. The same goes for major plunger/chamber replacements on spring guns.

That's really interesting, I figured functioning homemades like the snap have been around since biblical times. I'd say though, to categorize a homemade, the actual part of the gun that fires should be mainly composed of homemade items (PVC, CPVC, etc), and borrows parts from existing blasters that are hard to re-fabricate (such as the turret, shell, etc). Modifications are usually the opposite.

#204413 Recon 3k Gets 70ft

Posted by UpperHand on 18 January 2009 - 12:48 PM in Modifications

I think that the shell looks really good, and is really clean.

#204160 Clothspin Trigger

Posted by UpperHand on 17 January 2009 - 03:59 PM in Homemades

I had the same problem. Most of the solution lies in the amount of sanding you did to the endcap. The farther you can get the nail to be sticking into the tube, the better, because it will catch stronger and more easily. I have found you can go even bigger than 1/8" if you sand down the endcap more.

#203814 A Fun Vulcan Mod...

Posted by UpperHand on 16 January 2009 - 02:52 PM in Modifications

That's awesome! I laughed out loud when I saw it, this is exactly what I needed. The main problem with the vulcan for me is the chain jamming. Great job!

#203715 Guns In The Cold

Posted by UpperHand on 15 January 2009 - 09:34 PM in Modifications

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem with springer in the cold isn't the loss in range. Its the fact the plastic is brittle in the cold. With the force the springs exert on the gun, it'll be easy to break the gun.

I think this is right. Also something to add; stefans break quite easily in cold weather, regardless of the gun, air or spring (so long as it's powerful enough).

#203646 Magstrike Question

Posted by UpperHand on 15 January 2009 - 06:55 PM in Modifications

If you mean the little overpressure button on the back of the bladder, I just sanded it down, which worked fine. That way, it can't press against the back of the plastic shell.

#202221 Springs Help

Posted by UpperHand on 09 January 2009 - 10:52 PM in Modifications

If you don't mind ordering off the internet, Mcmaster is a great place for springs. Type "springs" in the search box and you can find the exact dimensions you want.

#201740 O Ring For A Longshot

Posted by UpperHand on 07 January 2009 - 09:18 PM in Modifications

Just bring the piece to your hardware store and try out different O-rings, that way you know you are getting the best fit.

#200671 Mega Maverick Shoots 100'

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 08:19 PM in Modifications

Why such the long barrel with stock darts?

#200566 Rps-1 Pistol

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 01:54 PM in Homemades

Here's a picture of the plunger head:
Posted Image
The nail slides over the endcap on the far left of the plunger head (the piece to the right of the spring) and locks behind it.
Here's a closer view:
Posted Image
I used a method of putting O-rings inbetween 3/4" couplers, all over a 3/4" piece of pipe. This works very well for my purposes. The chamber is 1 1/4" PVC pipe, with a 1 1/4" coupler holding a 1 1/4" by 1/2" PVC coupler on the front.

EDIT: The barrel is CPVC, and I have not had any major problems of the nail catching on the spring yet.

#200554 Rps-1 Pistol

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 01:27 PM in Homemades

So I have been working in homemades for a while, because I find making them more satisfying than modifying guns. I have made a rifle, long range weapon, shotgun, and now was looking to make a good sidearm. I wanted a solid design that would give me good ranges when I ran across this. It seemed to be perfect, so I decided to try a reverse plunger design of my own. Carrtoon owns a lathe, so a lot of the fitting of my project needed to be done via sanding. It's nice that it can be made with a dremel, drill, and other simple tools. Much of the credit for this goes to Cartoon and his design. Without further adieu, the pistol:
Posted Image
This is it when cocked:
Posted Image
The view from where you load the darts (through the back, then put the cap back on):
Posted Image
If this is confusing, see Carrtoon's pistol.
Finally, a size comparison to a NF:
Posted Image

I will post pictures of the plunger later if people are interested. Also, I might post a write up, but not for some time because school is almost back for me. Ranges are stupendous, because there is literally no dead space. I'd say about the range of my Snap (90 feet flat).

EDIT-- RPS stands for Reverse Plunger Sidearm

#200537 Oh My God Mcdonalds.

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 12:25 PM in Off Topic

If you're stupid enough to eat McDonald's 24-7, you deserve the health problems.

People who get fat off of fast food have no one to blame but themselves.

Actually, a lot of people who eat at McDonalds eat there because it's cheap and its one of the only ways they can eat on their budget. And this topic is retarded.

#200532 Homemade Rifle

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 12:14 PM in Homemades

Pretty sweet homemade. And your first post as well!

#200304 Nightfinder Manta Ray Mod

Posted by UpperHand on 01 January 2009 - 08:14 PM in Modifications

There's no way to get a NF to cock with three springs in it. Because they're all the same diameter, they compress on each other, making their total compressed length three times as long as a single spring. I couldn't fit two NF springs in.

I'm calling bullshit. The way to add springs is to layer them, so they're all on different circumferences around the plunger rod.

This is correct. The total compressed length of 3 springs is too long, so the NF won't be able to catch.

#199865 Jam Door

Posted by UpperHand on 30 December 2008 - 09:43 PM in Modifications

Yeah, it does that so you can clear jams.

#199853 Bbbb Turret

Posted by UpperHand on 30 December 2008 - 08:54 PM in Modifications

Is that your paintjob? I like it a lot! It reminds me of orange cream popsicles.