The Trouble's Content

There have been 48 items by The Trouble (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#172933 The Things You Say...

Posted by The Trouble on 27 August 2008 - 06:33 PM in Off Topic

We had a Nerf picnic in the park for my birthday this year. Needless to say a lot of kids came by pretty interested in what all these grown adults were doing with toys. Naturally, we all tried to keep our language clean. I kept nearly getting headshots on my wife (not on purpose) and one velcro one even got tangled in her hair. Finally I hit her on the lip, and she says:

"You shot it at my mouth! At least it's not in my hair!"

All the adults fall down laughing. All the kids stare even more perplexed. It's damn good to Nerf with your girl :)

#168523 Solarace: Proycon Compact

Posted by The Trouble on 12 August 2008 - 06:44 PM in Off Topic

I'm all for sacrificing ultra-realism for the sake of fun. Good call putting a top speed on the ships.

Glad to see another game developer on these forums! Keep up the good work.

#159012 Getting Ready To Paint My Recon And Longshot

Posted by The Trouble on 12 June 2008 - 07:51 PM in Modifications

Vinyl Dye! Krylon Fusion can't hold a candle to the spray-on Duplicolor stuff you can find in automotive stores. I've used both, and won't ever go back to Krylon Fusion. The dye doesn't look like a paint job, it looks like factory made colored plastic.

#154158 Scout Modification (simple Mod)

Posted by The Trouble on 01 May 2008 - 05:40 PM in Modifications

I appreciate Scout mods. It reminds me of cleaning garbage cans. When your work is done, you scratch your head and wonder "why?".

Best mod for a Scout in my humble opinion: Remove the slide and glue it to another gun (so you can put neat N-Strike accessories on say a SSII) then throw out the rest :ph34r:

#150271 Your Biggest Nerf Regret

Posted by The Trouble on 09 April 2008 - 06:36 PM in General Nerf

I remember passing by the Powerclip when it was on it's way out at TRU because the clip wasn't removable (they were clearanced for $8 each). At least I bought 4 Blastfires for $4 each. I spent big bucks on a BBB on eBay about 3 months before their re-release. I deliberately avoided those Vortex ring-shooters because they weren't "Nerf". I've modded 2 Scouts, and that's time I'll never get back.

I've given away or thrown out:

1) Manta-Ray
2) Bow'n'Arrow
3) SM5K
4) Uruk-Hai Crossbow (for those that don't know, that thing could put holes in a tank).

My biggest regret, though? Motorized Ballzooka. I hope I'm not alone on that one.

#143374 Crap! Lock Please

Posted by The Trouble on 01 March 2008 - 07:07 PM in Modifications

Just for reference, a blow-dryer works pretty well too. Heat it enough to be pliable, and just pull the chunks off.

I've never tried the freezer method. I'm always willing to try something that ends up in my wife saying, "Why is there a Nerf blaster in the ____?"

#142692 Dart Holding Gloves

Posted by The Trouble on 26 February 2008 - 08:55 PM in General Nerf

Heat, shmeat pussies. I lived the first 13 years of my life in a drought so bad that you'd get a hefty fine if you were caught watering your lawn, and I would have worn those gloves then. Besides, I count at least 5 kinds of awesome.

By the way, good job. I don't have enough patience for hooks'n'needles.

#142528 Missouri Nerf

Posted by The Trouble on 25 February 2008 - 07:54 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm in the Springfield area. If anything gets put together, I want to be on the PM list. My wife, best friend, brother, sister-in-law, and myself all Nerf. Oh, and I have enough blasters to arm Nixa, so you name it, I can bring it :)

#142160 Combo Upgrade

Posted by The Trouble on 23 February 2008 - 12:05 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd say a recon. I don't care what your play style is, I just know that if it came out when I was a teenager, I would have died of happiness.

Off topic: Can all you fuckwads please stop typing out sn1per? It's filtered out for a reason, and I'm damned tired of people masking around it. "Sharpshooter" and "Marksman" are perfectly applicable to Nerf, while that particular word describes a very specific role that is reliably unfun and unwanted in Nerf. Thanks!

#131830 Console Wars

Posted by The Trouble on 09 December 2007 - 07:39 PM in Off Topic

I voted for the Wii as well. I own it, and I love it. I may pick up a 360 at some point, but it looks like all the games out for it right now are the same things I've been playing for 15 years.

I'd also like to point out that picking a system based on it's "technical superiority" is pretty silly. I know that means it has the capability for having a more immersive experience, but I haven't seen any developers even attempt that. Another FPS, another driving game, another sports game (a new one every year!) gets old very fast.

For the younger crowd, I'm sure this is just fine, but I'm looking for something new and artistic (and that doesn't mean photorealistic).

I also despise the term "console wars". There's no war, because there's no clear winner...

...wait, maybe it is a war. Commentary aside, there'd be no Sony without Nintendo without Microsoft without Sony, and so on and so forth. Just have fun with what you like, let the fanboys rip each other apart.

#129977 The Black Friday

Posted by The Trouble on 17 November 2007 - 08:57 AM in Off Topic

I work at a third party insurance facilitator, but I used to work retail. Retail was almost my career. Then one day I just sat and reflected at all the retarded shit people expect you to do for them for little to no thanks. Black Friday for me is older men haggling already super-low prices, young men and women nearly trampling each other to get material goods, SCREAMING kids, and lines longer than a women's restroom in a Japanese bar.

No fucking thanks. I'm not going to be included in those sheep. I'm waking up at 5:00am, buying 2 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and I'm taking it to the hard working folks at my ex-employment. I've got some happy memories at that store, and a lot of the people I worked with are still there. I'm going to make them feel appreciated (and then I'm going back to bed). <_<

#127122 The Bags Creature Co.

Posted by The Trouble on 24 October 2007 - 10:34 AM in Off Topic

You, and all the other talented individuals on this board can go to hell! How can we normies compete?

Seriously great stuff. I love D-Wayne.

#124296 Go Trash-picking

Posted by The Trouble on 27 September 2007 - 06:00 PM in General Nerf

I have to say, be safe when "dumpster diving". All sorts of nasty, sharp, and potentially very dangerous things can be found in garbage.

As long as you're safe, this is a darn good idea. Aside from being a rather cheap way to get useful items, it's another good way to recycle. I remember a time in northern California where you could find full working computers in dumpsters (monitor, keyboard, the whole shebang).

I don't have any tips to add to Blaspheymy's, but I can add to the list of freebees obtained from trash: I've gotten a Bow'n'Arrow, a Manta Ray, and a Secret Shot II all from what was considered garbage.

#123567 Happy Birthday To Pineapple

Posted by The Trouble on 19 September 2007 - 05:48 PM in Off Topic

Happy Birthday, Pineapple. Even obscure, infrequent, and embarrassingly primarily off-topic posters like myself have an immense amount of respect for you. Have a good one.

#107239 National Geographic Jethawk Help

Posted by The Trouble on 23 May 2007 - 07:37 AM in General Nerf

For the cheap or impatient people, I have a bit solution I picked up from GameCube modding. Take a bic pen and remove the ink and tip. Heat up the back end until it is slightly soft. Jam that sucker onto the screw, and the soft plastic will mold to shape. Let the pen stay there until it cools, and you've just made yourself a custom screwdriver. Beats the hell out of drilling them out (I know from those wacky walkie-talkie guns).

Naturally that only works if the screw ports are large enough for your pen, but by Allah it works!

#107237 Ls Clip Holster

Posted by The Trouble on 23 May 2007 - 07:28 AM in General Nerf

I remember it being mentioned by one of the real-steel gun enthusiasts that the LS mags were very similar in size to M-16 mags. If that is indeed the case, I agree with the army/navy surplus store.

I remember taking my LnL to a gun shop when looking for a holster. I expected to get looks like I'd lost my mind...but the guy was really helpful. Take the mags with you when you go. The store associates will probably help you out :)

#79805 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by The Trouble on 13 April 2006 - 07:35 AM in Off Topic

While I am happy to be in third place, I'm saddened that it wasn't by my own processing merit. According to the team page we are really losing some steam. What's going on, guys? High-ranking people who had 3 or more processors working now have 0. Did those machines fail in some way, and you forgot to add FaH after a reformat?

This project is really important to me. I'm thankful NH gave me the kick in the butt I needed to download the software. I'm proud a bunch of people who play with plastic toys is one of the top contributing teams in the world, aren't you?

So c'mon! Let's get those dusty old systems in the garage plugged in and put to good use. Not using your Xbox? Get Linux on that little guy, and have it fold while you're not playing. Let's keep this team at the top, and better yet...let's continue to contribute to something grand.

#77446 Bladder-repaired Wildfire

Posted by The Trouble on 24 March 2006 - 08:58 PM in Modifications

My personal RF-20 is inner-tubed. It requires 5 more pumps than normal, and the rate of fire is greatly improved. Any range improvement I may have noted I'll leave to my imagination, since I did nothing to the piston spring.

*the comma is my friend

#77312 Bladder-repaired Wildfire

Posted by The Trouble on 23 March 2006 - 12:02 PM in Modifications

I'll answer your question, Timber.

The range on that Wildfire should be a *little* bit better. Did you remove the air restrictors completely, or did you just remove the posts (leaving black "rings" in the turret)? If you removed the restrictors completely, range will actually decrease due to the lack of a seal.

Since the repair job has made it stronger than before, I'd recommend putting a bike-tire innertube around your bladder. It'll force the air out faster, and give you better results.

#76554 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by The Trouble on 16 March 2006 - 08:08 PM in Off Topic

While your zeal is greatly appreciated RAMBO, I'm almost certain most folks here ("here" being this thread) are familiar with other distribution programs. As to your claim that the GUI version can handle dual cores: I can't dispute that due to my own ignorance (I'm perfectly willing to trust cxwq on this one, though). I will recommend the "barebones" version just to get more OOMPH out of your folding, though.

Personally, I'm going to devote all the computing power I have to this particular cause. I urge anyone who hasn't to do the same.

PS: I'm taking inspiration from Piney and his blogspot "blog" and to finally contribute to this community in more than a passive role on the folding team. Stay tuned!

#75886 Crossfire + Bonus

Posted by The Trouble on 12 March 2006 - 10:52 AM in General Nerf

Oh yes. Adding bonus FREE toys to their existing packages does have a hint of evil behind it.

Is evil the thing that Santa and Easter Bunny are? Oh wait...that's "good". I guess RAMBO and I are mixing those two words up again. How silly.

#74856 At3k Blue'n'yellow

Posted by The Trouble on 01 March 2006 - 08:30 PM in Modifications

I put a foregrip on my AT3k from an old AT2k case I had lying around (I'm sure you all have at least one or two as well). That makes it a heck of a lot easier to pump, and more comfortable to aim. Listen to anyone who says: NEVER SINGLE BARREL AN AT3K.

Exceptions include ones with broken turrets.

#74618 Blast Fire Help

Posted by The Trouble on 28 February 2006 - 10:25 AM in Modifications

That mechanism is completely necessary for semi-auto firing. You're going to have to fabricate a new one completely, or find someone with spare Blastfire parts.

If you can't get that part, all is not lost. Use the blast button on the top to fire all barrels at once. If you use a bit of ingenuity you may be able to get the button pressed with a trigger pull.

#74617 Dart Tag Vests

Posted by The Trouble on 28 February 2006 - 10:19 AM in Homemades

Hey, someone beat me to it. I've been meaning to do this for myself and my friends. The idea of darts sticking to your targets sounds just plain fun, but being full sized adults has left us without that option.

Thanks for motivating me to get out to Hobby Lobby to finally do this :rolleyes: I'm sure your innovation will inspire others as well.

#68371 Xbox 360 Is Out Of Hand

Posted by The Trouble on 26 November 2005 - 06:39 PM in Off Topic

Nintendo has the right idea by trying to breathe life into the gaming industry...maybe they'll actually put something NEW into the Legend of Zelda series (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan). I hope that the PS3 isn't as expensive as the current speculation states, but that simply means it'll be longer before myself (and most of the people I know) get one. It's neat to see this becoming an industry standard however: Powerful PC's in a reasonable price structure. These systems are expensive consoles, but well-priced computers. Let's hope these giants continue to make bank on software, and continue giving us cheap hardware.

In reply to Davis, it makes perfect sense. MS (Sony, Nintendo) want to ensure that their numbers look good, and thusly want all their systems purchased. The illusion of rarity is important. Nintendo even admitted it was a tactic they used in the yesteryears.

#68258 Xbox 360 Is Out Of Hand

Posted by The Trouble on 25 November 2005 - 01:38 PM in Off Topic

I'd like to step in and clarify a couple points.

Game console companies never make money on systems. They sell them at, or even below costs; they make their profit on licensed games and accesories. The original Xbox is still selling at cost...don't expect it to go down.

The Xbox360 is far below cost (I wish I had a link for you, but I don't).

I agree that it's rather shady at how few got shipped out to retail, but the marketing sense of it is clever. Like someone said earlier: the more rare an item is, the more sought after it becomes. Piney is right, too...there are millions of impatient (and stupid) people willing to shed out hundreds and thousands of dollars for the current flavor of the week.

Here's the main point: Why get upset?
Microsoft is a rather monopolizing super-giant that lost billions on Xbox just to get their foot in the console gaming market. If you're a MS hater, be satisfied.

Don't like the price of the flavor of the month? Don't buy it.

Think people shelling out tons of hard-earned cash is retarded? You can buy their system cheap when they're are tired of it.

My main concern is for the gaming market's lack of creativity, and it's downward spiral in Asia (arguably the home of digital entertainment). Of course that's a whole new rant. Relax folks. <insert generic "go nerf" statement here>

#67666 I'm Suing!

Posted by The Trouble on 14 November 2005 - 11:30 PM in Off Topic

I can't wait for governments of the world to put an official price tag on human life (sarcasm). One might argue that we already do with life insurance policies, but I call shenanigans on that pre-emptively.

#66830 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by The Trouble on 30 October 2005 - 08:10 PM in Off Topic

I recently moved, and my DSL company is full of fools. I was offline for an entire week. That's 3 whole processors. I'm franky a tad annoyed that I only moved down to 6th place. Work your PC's, people! Is Piney the only one willing to make his go down in flames curing the worlds diseases!? :huh:

#64564 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by The Trouble on 29 September 2005 - 12:33 PM in Off Topic

IBM XT 86 (with Windows 3.1 All my games run better in DOS, though).
Mouse Card (wow, this thing rocks. Too bad it's only useful when I run Windows).
Sound Card (the guys in Wolfenstein 3d actually speak now! No more bleeps for me).
VGA monitor! (The guy at the store said that most apps don't even use all the colors available to this monitor. Well worth the $300).
14.4 modem (top of the line. Those chumps I PvP with in the MUD I play are toast)

#64507 Splitfire Tactical

Posted by The Trouble on 28 September 2005 - 05:33 PM in Modifications

I think the "coolness" factor in nerf guns is lost when they get painted black. Some folks just about pee themselves with excitement when they see black. Personally, I think it's boring (and potentially dangerous, but that's another discussion altogether). I recommend sticking with the bright green of the splitfire, and some red flame accents.

Add personality to your custom guns, people. Don't ruin it with black.

#63157 'big Bad' Glory

Posted by The Trouble on 05 September 2005 - 09:35 PM in General Nerf

Just great. I was about to brag that I got a BBB and 3 other guns for $15 bucks. I guess it's still a good deal, but I want rarity dammit! :(

#62947 Ps2 Cluster?

Posted by The Trouble on 02 September 2005 - 09:57 PM in Off Topic

Considering I'm not much of a Microsoft fan, I hadn't considered an Xbox. I'm not saying I passed on it, it seriously just slipped my mind. If I recall correctly from the article I read online, the PS2 cluster project was able to utilize the GPU for additional cycles. Considering the CPU/GPU on an XBox is faster, and it already has a hard-drive, I'm cutting costs right there. I can also feel quite a bit of glee by installing Linux on a MS device that they're selling below cost. Scratch that...since I'll be getting them second hand, MS won't get a dime.

Sold (unless someone can find me a similar bundle for $100).

Thanks for the quick advice/link.

#62941 Ps2 Cluster?

Posted by The Trouble on 02 September 2005 - 08:23 PM in Off Topic

Since Playstation 2 is coming to the end of it's life, units are readily available. They also have pretty good processing power. I want to form a cluster of these cheap little workhorses (specifically for folding processes). I've run into a small issue, however. Sony doesn't offer their official Linux package to North America anymore, and I'm not informed enough to know what 3rd party configurations are trustworthy and reliable.

Anyone have any experience/advice on this matter? I'm sorry for adding to the off-topic mess, but I'm hoping some of the more tech savvy folks on these boards are able to help (it's for our F@H team!).

#62939 Gas Prices

Posted by The Trouble on 02 September 2005 - 07:58 PM in Off Topic

Carpool. Ride a bike. Ride the bus/train. Live in a more rural area? Hybrid cars have good mileage even on highway. Just like Talio implied, it's just irresponsible to throw gas away. Conserve any way you can. Unless you're a freight truck driver, there's always a way to cut down.

We really ought to put the lead on finding a good alternative to gasoline. Focus your frustration and anger on that, then we'll see some headway.

#61902 I Use Berries For Ammo.

Posted by The Trouble on 14 August 2005 - 12:22 AM in General Nerf

I can honestly say I never realized the berries in your yard work as Nerf ammo.

I've experimented with other types of ammo before, but I usually stick to more practical/re-useable materials. I doubt most nerfers would appreciate mystery berry juice being splattered on them.

Search for some Stefan making guides. If you set up your work area right, you can make tons in no time at all. Once you get a good flow going, the effort won't seem as severe. You can save yourself the embarrassment of being caught in your berry picking outfit as well.

#61831 Homemade Projector

Posted by The Trouble on 13 August 2005 - 12:13 AM in Off Topic

How much did this project cost you? I'd love to try this out, but I know I lack the appropriate tools. I'm not asking for a walkthrough by any means, just tools and a ballpark price tag.

Very slick, by the way. The case is very hitman-esque. It makes me want to host a drive-in movie in my driveway <_<

*Thanks for the info, Boltsniper!*

#61544 You Were Warned

Posted by The Trouble on 09 August 2005 - 08:35 PM in News

All you need now is a product advertising the "l33tness" of our Folding@Home team.

"I'm curing cancer while I'm Nerfing. What have you done today, jive turkey?"

I just very much want to see "jive turkey" on a shirt again. I'm off to Staples for some T-shirt transfers! :D

#60964 Firefly Released!

Posted by The Trouble on 02 August 2005 - 06:22 PM in General Nerf

Just for the heads up, I picked up a Firefly and a Dart Tag set today at Wal-Mart.

I'm in Springfield, Missouri. (For any locals: Check the little one on Campbell, the big one on Glenstone hasn't re-set their Nerf section yet. Also, the Target I called claimed all their Nerf was on clearance).

Ranges on the two are very similar. The glow in the dark darts are heavier because of the glow paper that's stuck on them. Because of this, it appears at first glance that the Firefly has less power. This is untrue. Both fire about the same distance as a stock Nightfinder. My guess is you could get about 75-80% of the range/power of a modded NF. For the amount of shots you get, it looks like a good buy.

The Firefly isn't huge, yet is surprisingly comfortable in my big hands. Even the stock is almost the right length for my 6'1" frame. Hope this information helps.

#60660 Any Mmorpg Players?

Posted by The Trouble on 30 July 2005 - 05:25 PM in Off Topic

I'm currently playing City of Heros. Great straightforward play that's pretty balanced. There isn't much more in the game besides combat, but that's fine for me right now.

Star Wars Galaxies had the BEST role-play community I've seen on an online game. Too bad the game is so broken that playing it is like cramming broken glass into your ear.

I play MMO's for two big reasons, and since role-play is sincerely hard to find in online communities, my other reason stands alone: fun in an evolving world. CoH is constantly changing,with new content added every 3 months or so. It's a GREAT way to keep in contact with all my friends and family in California, and we get to do more than just chat. I make friends in MMO's....I never made a singe friend in Counter-Strike.

(Post #10? Time to back off for awhile...)

#60594 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by The Trouble on 30 July 2005 - 12:55 AM in Off Topic

This is the perfect way for the NIC to give something to the world, one WU at a time. We can go out and Nerf while our computers do what they do best: Compute.

Oh, and Ompa...I'm going to get another CPU going, so I can get ahead and actually *stay* ahead of you ^_^ Yours are freaking workhorses!