doctorsparkles's Content

There have been 11 items by doctorsparkles (Search limited from 04-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#53894 Holsters Or Straps?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 01 May 2005 - 10:15 AM in General Nerf

I suppose I should have voted 'neither' because I haven't made them yet, but I voted 'both.' I'm a little bit new to serious Nerfing, but when I get around to it, I intend to make a holster for my Nite Finder and a strap for my Double Shot.

#53753 Your Ride?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 28 April 2005 - 08:39 PM in Off Topic

In one year I'm getting my Dad's 1968 Ford Mustang GT. Really the only reason why I'm getting it is so my Dad can move on to a new project. Anyway it has a 8 cylinder 302 small block with a 4 barrel carb dual exhaust. It's aqua metallic with black interior. Oh yeah it's friggin' awesome!

Sounds like it's a beautiful car... but I imagine insurance is going to be murder on it! Probably a pretty good trade-off though...

#53751 Modifying My Nite Finder

Posted by doctorsparkles on 28 April 2005 - 08:35 PM in Modifications

I like the color scheme. One question: what is that fabric on the top of the gun? It looks like it could be velcro, but I'm not totally sure...

#53565 Your Ride?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 26 April 2005 - 05:27 PM in Off Topic

Honestly, do you have anything against him because he has an older bimmer that he fixed up ?

I don't think anybody can think of anything wrong with restoring an older car so that it runs as good as new. I'd like to do the same to my car, and though I'm people would think that's a whole lot crazier than fixing a BMW.

#53387 Stefan Making Tip

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 06:18 PM in General Nerf

About the flat tip dart/pain theory, think of it like this, the dome tipped darts are like doing a cannon ball in the water, it doesn't hurt to jump in, but a flat tipped dart is like a belly flop, it hurts like a mother, so, I think flat tips would hurt more, but again, that's just my theory.

if you get a pin and somehow balance it upright on your skin with 100G weight on it it would probably hurt a bit but if you get a coin with a 100g weight on it it would not be painful unless you are really sensitive. it makes no sense to me now that i think about it but hopefully it makes sense to other people. and i do notice that this is going a little off topic, sorry

Doing a cannonball hurts less than a belly flop because a more aerodynamic shape will cut through the water easier, rather than just slapping against it.
As for the pin versus coin thing, it's all about weight distribution. I don't think this can really be applied to nerf darts though, because the surface area of a domed tip isn't all that much less than a flat tipped dart. If anything, the domed tip dart will hurt more because it's more aerodynamic and will be moving at a higher rate of speed than a flat dart would.

#53381 Your Ride?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 05:53 PM in Off Topic

I guess I was doing a little bit of dickwagging with the zero to sixty comment... What can I say? Buick owners love their cars. Non-Buick owners think Buick owners are crazy.
For the record, women tend to laugh at or run away from my car. They just don't understand him...
notorious_oxide, what colors are your VW Beetles? My dad has 1970 Beetle in green, which he's rebuilding from the ground up. It's a beautiful car, but it's hilarious to see such a tall man driving such a small car.
Bad_Karma, what condition is your Crown Victoria in? Ever since riding in my dad's old Impala and the Caddillac Fleetwood (and to a lesser extent, my Buick, which isn't quite as large as the other cars I mentioned), I've had a particular fondness for those big ol' boats.
Does anybody else here name their cars?

Edit: To Mattpaintballer - Crown Victorias are used by many police departments (which makes them appeal to me even more), but they are also available to the public.

#53335 Need Help Mod A Suppermax 3000

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 11:59 AM in Modifications

I hadn't really taken the Tek 6&10 into account however. Were they really that good?

I have both the Tek 6 and 10, and I like them. They don't have nearly the range of something like a Nite Finder (the darts drop about 10 feet sooner than a shot from the Nite Finder; both the Teks and the NF are unmodded), and once in a while, the darts misfire and fail to leave the barrel, but they're still an awful lot of fun in close quarters.
My Tek 6 is actually an off-brand from Big Lots, but it was made from the same mold and probably works just as well. The only difference between mine and the original is that the cocking mechanism has a hook on it, so it's a lot easier to cock. All you have to do is catch a finger, wrist, or whatever on it, and pull to cock.
The Tek 10 is great in the sense that it holds ten shots, but it's a little bit large and unwieldy. It's pretty heavy in the front, so your natural tendency is to support it below the barrels, but with the cocking mechanism on the back it isn't possible to do so.

#53331 Bandoliers/ammo Storage?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 11:25 AM in Homemades

Ah yes, there is a bandolier in boltsniper's write-up... and it's the same exact construction as mine, except that I used safety pins instead of sewing the loops in place (it's much easier to adjust it, in case you made the loops too big or too small).
There are no pockets on mine, just loops, like navy seal said. The only problem that might arise with having loops instead of pockets is that the darts might pop out as you go. Nerf stock darts fit pretty snugly, though some of the off-brand darts are a little loose. That's cool though, because my favorite gun is the Nite Finder, and the darts that don't fit in the bandolier, also won't fit in the gun.
I'd still like to see what other people have done to carry ammo during a war, or do you just carry what can be stored on your gun itself?

#53311 Bandoliers/ammo Storage?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 02:13 AM in Homemades

Hi there,
Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before... I used the search feature and skimmed through about a half year's worth of threads, but found little of interest. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
I've seen plenty of write-ups for holsters and gun clips, but I was wondering if anybody has come up with a creative way of holding extra ammo during a war-type situation.
I, for one, got tired of running out of ammo completely or not having it in a place where I can quickly and easily get it in the heat of battle. That's why I made a bandolier for myself this afternoon. It's a very simple design, and anybody who can use a pair of scissors can do it. Here's what you need to do it:

- 2 nylon straps - One should be long enough to wrap diagonally across your torso. I used a duffel bag strap so that I could hook the two ends together to make a loop. The second strap needs to be probably about 3/4 the length of the first strap, and should be the same width or narrower.
- Safety pins (You can use a needle and thread instead, if you're daring.)
- Something the same diameter of the ammo you wish to store (I used Crayola markers for micros.)
- Decent scissors

Lay your shorter strap on top of the longer, and pin it where you want your ammo storage to begin (mine starts at my waist and goes up to my shoulder). Put a marker (or whatever you end up using) between the two straps, next to the pin, and form the shorter strap to the shape of the marker. Try to keep the longer strap flat. Now pin the straps so that you have a safety pin on either side of the marker, and you have a perfectly sized dart-holder. Keep doing this until you're satisfied (I would keep the markers in the holders as you go, so that they don't lose their shape), and then cut off any excess nylon off of the shorter strap... and you're done.

I realize that this was an excessively simple write-up, but I felt that it was worth putting out there, in case somebody hadn't thought about doing it. Like I said before, it's incredibly easy, and anybody, regardless of their skill level, can do it.

Keep on keepin' on,
Doctor Sparkles

#53308 Your Ride?

Posted by doctorsparkles on 24 April 2005 - 12:50 AM in Off Topic

I drive a beat-up 1991 Buick Century named Hank. I've got him tricked out with rust along the bottom and a fading paint job.
But hey, he does zero to sixty in about 7 seconds or so, providing his transmission behaves, so that has to count for something.
Seriously, I love my car, and would choose it over most of the cars that everybody swoons over any day of the week.

#52898 New Double Shot Mod!

Posted by doctorsparkles on 19 April 2005 - 05:44 PM in Modifications

First off, this is my first post here on Nerfhaven.
Now, on to the topic at hand. I have a few questions.
Does taking the posts out of the shells improve range or power much? I bought one this weekend, and thought about doing the same, but was unsure.
Some of my darts don't fit snugly in the shell. Are some of yours the same way, and if so, do they fall out easily after the posts are removed (i.e., whenever the barrel is pointed downwards)?
And finally, how exactly did you pop out the post? Did you put the pen inside the shell and pry it out, or did you push from the bottom?