thedom21's Content

There have been 270 items by thedom21 (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#361894 Gun to tinker with for beginning modder

Posted by thedom21 on 03 November 2017 - 05:04 PM in General Nerf

Best thing I can think to start with would be the nite finder or the firestrike. Simple to mod and tinker with and capable of respectable ranges. Start with some barrel replacements and you can swap out for better springs and O-rings. If you have a dremel tool or a hacksaw you can do some shell minimization. If you want even more power it is one of the easiest blasters to do an extended plunger tube for as your skills develop.  

#361789 Minnesota Hellaween 2017

Posted by thedom21 on 19 October 2017 - 06:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Don't think I can get off work for this one unfortunately.

#361750 Titan-Turian Sleeper

Posted by thedom21 on 11 October 2017 - 01:28 PM in Modifications

I'm interested to see a video of how it all works together. Is the breech automated or do you cycle it by hand? 

#361698 Whats the verdict on Worker rubber darts and Z-pattern waffles being a

Posted by thedom21 on 01 October 2017 - 06:40 PM in Darts and Barrels

Worker darts hurt less. I got shot by them with a caliburn and it wasn't thaaaaat bad (hurt less then a FVJ out of my LS).

EDIT: Although I'd recommend worker's darts, there is nothing wrong with the waffle darts. It's just that the consistency of the batch you buy can vary, whereas worker is far more reliable.

Correct they are not that bad, but I did feel a bit guilty shooting them at little kids so I thought I would share. 

#361671 Whats the verdict on Worker rubber darts and Z-pattern waffles being a

Posted by thedom21 on 27 September 2017 - 03:25 PM in Darts and Barrels

Worker darts are some of the best darts I've used in terms of reliability and accuracy. They perform exceptionally but they are definitely about as hard of a tip as you should allow. I shot myself with a few of them at about 20 feet away out of a Caliburn before using them at and outdoor war and they left a mark on my back for sure.

If you are using high powered guns on a smaller playing field they should probably be banned. If you have a large outdoor playing field they are totally fine. 

#361082 Homemade airgun trigger

Posted by thedom21 on 23 July 2017 - 10:25 AM in Homemades

WNTS or just a pvc check valve with the rod extended works great.

#361036 SPANO 2017

Posted by thedom21 on 18 July 2017 - 09:04 PM in Nerf Wars

Count me in boys.

#360379 Broken Rough cut

Posted by thedom21 on 05 June 2017 - 02:48 PM in General Nerf

a small gear that is used in the pumpng mechanism has lost all most all of it's teeth

I've got a set of roughcut gears that are all functional. If you want them I can ship them to you. 

#360094 Got anything longer? (Springs)

Posted by thedom21 on 24 May 2017 - 06:36 PM in Modifications

Something to note about McMaster's rate constant. It's not the same thing as spring constant - the 'K' value we all know. Those springs are meant to be cut to length, which changes the spring constant, so you take the rate constant and divide by the length to get spring constant. For a full length [k26], this nets you a spring constant of 3.88lbf/in, and for the K31, that is .98lbf/in. The draw at maximum compression is probably in the same ballpark for each spring, which is probably what you want, but take this into consideration.

I knew there was something I needed to do to those numbers to get a better comparison.

That is at full length of each spring, right? (Not cut down)

How long of a spring were you planning to use?

9662K29 gets you a 3.806 lbf/in at a 0.75" OD and 0.54" ID so slightly smaller spring but draw would be very difficult on this one. Essentially the same as a [k26] but if you go longer it gets more difficult?

9662K44 gets you a  1.277 lbf/in with at a 0.75" OD and 0.59" ID which is a bit stiffer than the K31. Depending on how long you want the draw to be you should be able to pick one of these 3 to get a similar total draw weight of the [k26].

[k26] has a length of 11" Rate constant of 42.69 and spring constant of 3.88 lbf/in

For instance you could use 11" of the k29 and your rate constant would be 3.806 lbf/in x 11 in and your rate constant is 41.866 which would essentially feel the same as a [k26].

But you could achieve the same feel from a lot more spring with say a k44 where the spring constant is lower but the spring is over three times as long. Between the K29, K31, and K44 I would go with the K44.

#360090 Got anything longer? (Springs)

Posted by thedom21 on 24 May 2017 - 02:43 PM in Modifications

There is a few on McMaster-Carr that should work, https://www.mcmaster.com/#9662K31 looks good.

In comparison to a [k26] it is 36" long while the [k26] is 11" long. The OD is 0.031" larger, ID is also 0.031" larger but it has the same wire diameter and they list the rate constant as 35.21 while the [k26] is listed at 42.69 so it would be a slightly lighter pull.

#359984 Nerf Longshot Reinforcement Question

Posted by thedom21 on 17 May 2017 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

Ok, so I have found some wire clothes hangers in my parents room, and they allowed my to use it.
Now, the reinforcements are as followed:
- 4 pieces of 0.88mm gauge wire with 2 small pieces of the clothes hanger wire (1.5mm gauge) on the inside part of the boltsled
- the outside portion is reinforced with 1 piece of 0.88 mm wire

Would this boltsled last through 2000 shots under a 5kg Spring load?

At this point I think you have done some solid reinforcements, I would suggest running 10-25 shots through it and then disassemble and check for any problem areas. If all appears to be holding up run another 50 through the blaster and inspect again. If you are super worried about it exploding even after you have reinforced the boltsled I would be sure you regularly check for any problem areas or stress marks.

I think you should be fine with the reinforcement at that spring load. If it does explode at some point down the road you can just order a polycarbonate or aluminum replacement sled. As I mentioned I always go overkill in durability as I prefer to just not worry about it, which is why all of my longshots have aluminum boltselds in them whether its a 5kg spring or a 15kg spring.

#359915 Springers that can use hoppers

Posted by thedom21 on 15 May 2017 - 11:07 AM in Darts and Barrels

Tripleshot/quadshot/handcannon can hopper if you just slap a wye on the front. PAS can also hopper as can the RRDG if you chop the turret off. Technically a modded xbow or Tbow can but those are both essentially homemade slapped inside their respective shells.

Personally I would use a tripleshot quadshot or handcannon, whichever one you end up finding. PAS is fun but the handle can be awkward to deal with if you throw a crazy spring in it. Also, the plastic on the handle and priming grip gets very slippery if you are using it at a war and are getting sweaty. Tripleshot is a very easy mod and they are a tremendous amount of fun and can be very competitive and much more comfortable to hold right out of the box.

#359914 Nerf Longshot Reinforcement Question

Posted by thedom21 on 15 May 2017 - 10:55 AM in Modifications

If you are worried about it breaking I would just go ahead a reinforce it. I generally like to take the overkill approach though since I would rather have some piece of mind knowing it's not going to break rather than worrying about something shattering every time you prime or fire the thing.

#359667 slugs and breech help

Posted by thedom21 on 03 May 2017 - 03:14 PM in Darts and Barrels

If the tip is not fitting into the breech but the foam does fit I would check the size of your washer and or felt tip. Are you using #6 or #8 washers or something bigger?

#331711 Rockwell BladeRunner for homemade?

Posted by thedom21 on 09 July 2013 - 03:08 PM in General Nerf

Thank you for replying. Do you have trouble making small external cuts for like triggers or catch plates?

Its impossible to do the slots for say a +bow catch however the smallest internal cut I have done with the stock blade is cutting a rainbow catch for 3/8" square pvc plunger rod. I am sure if you found some different blades the saw certainly has the capability to cut slots for the +bow catch however I only have experience with the stock blades. I have had it 2 almost 3 years and I have used nothing but the stock metal cutting blade for cutting plastics and the stock wood blade for some wooden stocks. It is very easy to make straight cuts with this saw.

#331692 Rockwell BladeRunner for homemade?

Posted by thedom21 on 08 July 2013 - 09:40 PM in General Nerf

I have one and use it for all cuts I make pretty much. The only think I have found is that it is not going to perform small internal cuts very well.

#331675 Nerf Wars in Minnesota

Posted by thedom21 on 08 July 2013 - 06:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Indoor venue would get so much use in the winters!

#331499 PANB 870

Posted by thedom21 on 02 July 2013 - 09:09 PM in Homemades

If you can't figure out how it works by looking at it then I question your ability to improve it.

Nope I clearly get how it works as I stated but I wanted a video as well.

#331493 PANB 870

Posted by thedom21 on 02 July 2013 - 05:32 PM in Homemades

can you take a video of the loading mechanism in action? I think I get how it works but a video would help me and others try to remake and or improve your design.

#331392 Nerf Elite Mega Centurion - Preview and Internals

Posted by thedom21 on 28 June 2013 - 08:45 PM in News

Anything yet on the ID of the PT? I agree with shmmee but if we could find something with an OD the the same as the ID of the PT we could cover the tube in silicone grease and insert it and then fill the vents with epoxy putty or even just regular epoxy.

#331390 Homemade zing atl atl

Posted by thedom21 on 28 June 2013 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

Generally if you are having trouble even working it while making a video, it needs some work. As others have mentioned its incredibly dangerous but then again, you could probably use and arrow to the face.

Only Groove gets to use image macros.

#331163 Centurion Vid

Posted by thedom21 on 23 June 2013 - 10:27 AM in General Nerf

Found this online, thought I would share.

#330773 SPANO 2013

Posted by thedom21 on 10 June 2013 - 10:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Yet another one I cannot make it to.

#328860 SPANO 2013

Posted by thedom21 on 18 April 2013 - 07:04 PM in Nerf Wars

We will see, mark me as a maybe for now.

#328125 3D printed Wye on a Snapbow

Posted by thedom21 on 17 March 2013 - 03:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

Yes it would. Look at the pictures, and how I route the air to the wye using a cpvc street elbow. With the stub permanently attached, I'd have to use a pvc elbow, which is larger -> more dead space. I would also have to mount they wye farther forward since the spigot end of the elbow would no longer fit inside the socket on the back of the wye. And I never said it would prevent us from making rainbowpup like designs, but that giving us more flexibility with how we attach the wye is better.

Or you could do it the way Ryan does which is the most effective way I have found. It is also much, much easier to do if you can find the part. It you do it this way it is actually better with the stub. We also have to keep in mind it will be used for a large variety of blasters and the majority of blasters that it will be used in, the stub will be helpful.

#328117 3D printed Wye on a Snapbow

Posted by thedom21 on 17 March 2013 - 10:15 AM in Darts and Barrels

No stub. Not having it there allows for more flexibility with how to route air to the hopper so things like rainbowpups are easier to do. And it isn't that difficult to cut a 2" piece of pvc to make a stub if necessary.

The stub would not prevent you from making a rainbowpup and it would not add any deadspace if any.

#328096 3D printed Wye on a Snapbow

Posted by thedom21 on 16 March 2013 - 08:34 PM in Darts and Barrels

I like the idea of the stub on the back. Like you said, it is one less thing to worry about. The one thing i would like to see is threaded connections so that the use of screws is not needed, however that is just a personal preference.

#327534 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by thedom21 on 03 March 2013 - 12:24 PM in General Nerf

The plunger tube itself is supposedly 2 feet long. Add a trigger and priming mechanism and you have a longshot's length but with no barrel.

When did this information come out?

*edit* NVM read the link in the OP, missed that the first time I read through.

#327530 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by thedom21 on 03 March 2013 - 11:17 AM in General Nerf

Whether or not the extra length is a faux barrel shouldn't matter. If we do end up converting to micros, a 2 foot CPVC/brass barrel would probably be necessary for "optimal" barrel length. It's going to be very long.

My guess would be that after its minimized with that barrel for micro's it will be slightly longer than a longshot.

#327528 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by thedom21 on 03 March 2013 - 10:41 AM in General Nerf

Am I the only one actually interested in these new darts and the "super Plunger"? Those darts sound like nerf's attempt at s sort of 50 cal. ammo. Also I am guessing the whole reason they made it so long is because little kids are their market and little kids love the idea of a Sn1per. I would be willing to bet the extra length is just faux barrel and can be easily chopped off to your hearts desire.

#327498 Nitefinder plunger head substitute?

Posted by thedom21 on 02 March 2013 - 05:07 PM in General Nerf

It's going to be a tight fit in the inside of the plunger tube but rolling it along some fine grit sandpaper with some pressure should fix that. Just bring your plunger tube to the store and find one that fits nicely or is just little to tight.

#327452 Nitefinder plunger head substitute?

Posted by thedom21 on 28 February 2013 - 07:43 PM in General Nerf

Just buy a rubber grommet and a nylon spacer with two metal washers, perfect seal every time as long as you know how to use a screwdriver.

#326652 Wyes on mcmaster!

Posted by thedom21 on 10 February 2013 - 11:07 PM in General Nerf

My brother owns a plumbing company and when I contacted many of the large PVC parts manufactures they would only sell in large bulk orders and it simply was not worth it. I did not have the money for them and didnt have the need for 75+ fittings.

#326201 Alternative Sealing Method for Longshot Plunger Tubes

Posted by thedom21 on 31 January 2013 - 07:54 PM in Modifications

This is why it is called "alternative"

Alternative but its also more expensive and more complicated than slipping a rubber washer and an o-ring on.

#326166 Alternative Sealing Method for Longshot Plunger Tubes

Posted by thedom21 on 30 January 2013 - 09:20 PM in Modifications

Can't we just stick a thin rubber washer in there and seal the entire face?

I use a rubber washer and an o-ring and have had absolutely not problems with it.

#322270 Parents and Nerf

Posted by thedom21 on 07 October 2012 - 08:58 AM in Off Topic

I showed my parents that I could be doing much more dangerous activities such as paintball or airsoft. Nerfing is much safer than both of those in MY OPINION. I also had my dad with me at my first war, he wanted to meet everyone there and it just happens he met Beaver who is pretty much the most awesome dude and decided it was good for me to go to wars.

#320903 Beige Foam

Posted by thedom21 on 23 August 2012 - 11:52 AM in Darts and Barrels

I can heat all the beige foam I have gotten for taerkitty and Dirty Dan and it will be a springer in cpvc. If you heat in shorter segments like 3 minutes and then let it cool it won't expand as much. If you heat it for the whole 12 minutes at a time it seems to expand a little more.

#320102 longshot help needed

Posted by thedom21 on 07 August 2012 - 07:10 PM in Modifications

It's not the Drac you think he is.
On topic, you could replace the plunger head, reinforce the boldsled and the other parts prone to breaking, and put upgraded springs in it.

#318388 Mad ghost style check valve

Posted by thedom21 on 12 July 2012 - 05:41 PM in Homemades

coughWNTScoughcoughcough swallowed a bug ;)

#318189 Augsational!

Posted by thedom21 on 08 July 2012 - 08:11 PM in Nerf Wars

Hehe I remember that, I actually shot him about a second after that picture was taken.