BlastFreak's Content

There have been 2 items by BlastFreak (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#52660 Shoring Up Aging Micro-darts

Posted by BlastFreak on 16 April 2005 - 08:49 PM in Modifications

WEASEL: I've made a fairly self-explanatory website, viewable at http://geocities.com...apassassination. Simply put, it's a game that AP students at my high school have been playing for nearly twenty years - it's been written about in the New York Times a few times, and over the years have gotten progressively bigger and bigger.

Essentially, it's a single-elimination assassination game: you're assigned a target by the coordinator (that's me!), who you have one week to assassinate, using a nerf gun, by whatever means possible. Whoever has eliminated their target, and not been eliminated themself, moves on to the next round: same routine, until only one person is left standing. People get creative: disguising themselves as UPS drivers, hiding in trees and bushes, hiring underclassmen as bodyguards, etc: basically, the entire senior class is paranoid for a week.

LordoftheRing434: Yikes. Sorry to hear about that... what gun were you having those problems with?

#52442 Shoring Up Aging Micro-darts

Posted by BlastFreak on 13 April 2005 - 07:10 PM in Modifications

Hello, world!

Long time watcher, first time poster.

Anyway, in preparation for a massive (150+ participant), month-long Nerf war I'm organizing at my high school, I've been working at a fever pitch on my NF, trying to juice every ounce of performance out of it possible. In doing so, I've noticed that my stock micro-darts (I haven't been able to make it to the nearest Home Depot, 50 miles away), have been wearing down. They've been losing their punch, as they allow more air to escape through the sides, and are also fishtailing more noticeably and more often. Hmm.

As usual, inspiration struck randomly, as I was home sick from school today. While sitting at my desk, sipping from a coke from Burger King, I noticed the straw. I noticed a dart, sitting a few inches away on the desk. Hmm.

I decided to try inserting a straw into the dart. To make a long story short, here's what happened:

Posted Image
[ larger]
The drink, with straw.

Posted Image
[ larger]
The straw, cut to fit in the micro dart.

Posted Image
[ larger]
The straw, being inserted into the dart.

Posted Image
[ larger]
A view of the straw in the dart.

Posted Image
[ larger]
The dart, once the straw is inserted, shows no sign of any modification.

Now, obviously the diameter of the straw is important: Burger King's are exactly 1/4 in. in diameter, and work fine; other straws may not.

On another note, Nite Finders balance perfectly upon large Burger King cups.
(Note: I am not a shill for Burger King)

Posted Image
[ larger]

Edit: Changed photo hosts - thanks for the advice, Talio!