Hardly Ideal's Content

There have been 37 items by Hardly Ideal (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364726 H2O Eh-Row

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 26 June 2023 - 09:49 PM in Homemades

You say "inflict", I say "delight"

This might sound primitive, but... have you considered just putting globs of hot glue on it?

I say "inflict" because I'm not sure how many friends are as insane as me.

And no way I'm trusting hot glue with this. Not only do I want something reversible, but it's let me down in way less kinetic applications.

I have some new hardware on there now. It's a bit of a Frankenstein still, but . I think I can actually use this!
c222d86bc3f52529.jpeg

No official numbers for the speed and it's pretty inconsistent, but I'm pretty sure this thing easily hits 100fps.
4523469b7864c474.jpeg

#364723 H2O Eh-Row

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 21 June 2023 - 04:23 PM in Homemades

So, performance-wise, I love it. It feels like it could be commanding in open spaces and it's just plain fun.

But one of the problems I've had for the longest time is structure. I have the damnedest time getting the parts to stay in place in a way that's sturdy, but also reversible (I'd like to still be able to shoot arrows from this on occasion). I've thought about using hose clamps, but with all the different axes I need to join... maybe I can drill through the clamps and screw a pair of them together? With a layer of camping mat foam in between to cushion the parts?

#364722 Hello? Is anyone there?

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 19 June 2023 - 01:55 PM in Site Feedback

What bothers me about Discord and other small groups like that are how they're difficult or impossible to search for. Reddit could turn up fairly well, but even a robust chat channel is just too ephemeral.

#364718 H2O Eh-Row

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 18 June 2023 - 09:42 PM in Homemades

Since r/Nerf is indefinitely borked, maybe I should inflict my weird builds on older message boards instead?

SO. Did you know you can make some minor cuts to a Five Below water blaster and make it shoot Nerf darts at alarming speeds?
6019bb22d7f497c0.jpg

Did you know that said blaster can also work with a cheap fiberglass longbow you got in like 2013?

7aeffca2c9b0f0cb.jpg

Did you know you can just sort of tie it all together and make a toy weapon that feels tantalizingly useable?

af26fefb2896f0cb.jpg

#364717 Hello? Is anyone there?

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 13 June 2023 - 06:41 PM in Site Feedback

Hey! I know this place has been a ghost town for a while, but I was thinking about the Reddit blackout.

Some folks are worried about it, like about how some smaller forums over there might go dark permanently and where people could go after. I wouldn't call r/Nerf "smaller," but the idea still bothers me.

Someone over on Bird Site even half joked that we never should've abandoned phpBB. I thought "hey, I think I know a few of those." But what are the chances of everyone really going back to that?

#364519 Nerf "Wars" from Quarantine

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 06 April 2020 - 07:23 PM in Nerf Wars

In case you don't follow every single Reddit post, we'll be trying a Target Tuesday remote competition tomorrow. Read more about it here: https://www.reddit.c...ve_this_a_shot/

#364515 Nerf "Wars" from Quarantine

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 02 April 2020 - 10:55 PM in Nerf Wars

(cross-posting from Reddit to cover my bases)

It's a pretty safe bet that there won't be many wars this year thanks to quarantine from You-Know-What. But I wonder... can we still play games together? Like by remote?

So, we have to stay at home unless we must go out for essential services and no groups larger than 5 people. That rules out most conventional games. Plenty of small games to play in the house, but... I dunno, those feel like they get stale quick.

But I what about more league-based games? Like something you can play with very small teams in small rounds over a long time? That way it might at least feel like playing with a larger group, or at least add some exciting weight to smaller games.

• Gametype(s) that can be played in something as small and asymmetrical as a house or courtyard.
    • Hey, this old thread has some good ideas
    • Attack the Core (Assault). Think TF2's Dustbowl or Gravel pit, i.e. take turns attacking and defending the same course
    • Last Man Standing. Deathmatch with limited respawns
    • Ninja Hunt. One person with a melee weapon vs blaster-armed team, all in the dark
  • The results of the game are posted online, with the winners scoring points for at least two collective teams and victory going to the team with the most points after a period of time.
  • The thing that's tripping me up is how to handle teams. I haven't come up with a good and fair way to do that yet.
    • Pick a team at the start of the league period, and that's what you stick with. Straightforward, but I worry it could be abused by someone wanting to throw a game for the other team.
    • I thought about teams being randomly assigned after a game is finished. Like, draw lots to determine which team the winner scored for. But the more I think about it, the less fair that sounds.

Thanks for hearing me out.

#363062 A bunch of Hardly Ideal Titan rockets

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 05 June 2018 - 04:16 PM in Homemades

Given that your group is concerned about injury with custom projectiles (and reasonably so), have you considered using craft foam for fins instead of cardboard?

Also apparently angling the fins a little bit creates spin, which is good for stability. Might be worth giving it a go.

Side note, have you seen MTB's video on making titan rockets? Might be a good source of inspiration, even if it doesn't fit the goal of interchangeable ammo.

They're all made completely from craft foam and pipe insulation, so the injury risk is pretty low. I don't think I ever considered cardboard; too thick, and it wouldn't make for as good of a seal on the barrel.

Some of the first ones have been made with tilted fins to induce a spin. But if KSP is anything to go by, excessive spinning hurts performance, so it's a little tricky making sure it doesn't go too far.

And yeah, I did stop by MTB's stuff on the way here. I considered hollowing out pool noodles with a Forstner bit on a drill press to get the inner diameter of the missiles to match the Titan's stock 40mm, but that seemed like an awful lot of work compared to wrapping foam.

#363051 A bunch of Hardly Ideal Titan rockets

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 04 June 2018 - 02:14 PM in Homemades

First set of missiles is done, and they seem to work okay!

u86r1WFh.jpg

Even that goofy box fin (four stripes) pretty much goes where you point it.

I think my favorite so far is the tube fin (two stripes). Not perfect, but I like how compact and unusual it looks. It'll need more tape on the inside edges to stick better, but that shouldn't be a problem. Might even control the width better.

I've already got some other ideas to try. Double the tube fins, fore-fins, maybe some tricks to try and prevent folding on the seam, maybe a mock discarding sabot... but I have to be a productive adult for a little while longer first.

More updates as they come.

#363020 A bunch of Hardly Ideal Titan rockets

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 29 May 2018 - 03:14 PM in Homemades

Plenty of people have come up with homemade missiles, and most of them are pretty good. The problem I keep running into is that they seem to require a different barrel size than the stock Titan. That's also fine, but I'd rather make something that won't need an adapter; if I'm going to make such a goofy fun thing as a missile, I'd like to share it with anyone else who happens to have a Titan.

I'm just not too keen on custom ammo for a lot of reasons, mostly for compatibility and fairness:

-It would be difficult if someone wanted to use a blaster that only used something specialized ammo. Someone borrowing a super-duper Stefan-only blaster won't have much fun when they run dry and get pwned by someone with a Jolt and bulging pockets.

-We've had some dust-ups over specialized ammo before, namely a Titan-based scattergun using a PVC barrel full of half darts. Goofy ammo has been a sore subject ever since; it's easier and more fun to stick with stock ammo than burn daylight getting into arguments.

As for weight, I have no idea. I'll check the next time I find a scale. EDIT: The one with the tube fins weighs in around 32 grams.

And it's true, you don't see them often, but not never. We had some rules regarding different ammo types to try and make them more feasible. Otherwise, they'd be just goofy novelties for people to chuckle over before grabbing something more ordinary:

-Micros/Elites - Tag out with a hit to the body, but can be blocked with limbs or weapons.

-Arrows - Tag out with a hit to the body or limbs, but can be blocked with weapons.

-Missiles - Can't be blocked at all.

That was a while ago, though, when the Big Bad Bow was still a thing and the Mega dart hadn't come out yet. I better come up with a rule for that one.

#363012 A bunch of Hardly Ideal Titan rockets

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 23 May 2018 - 01:35 PM in Homemades

I like my little MavTitan. It can fire both darts and missiles, all in a comparatively tiny package. Not the prettiest package, but I can always fix that up later.

What I don't like is how between my brother and I, we only have two missiles, which is a lot less than I'd like. I know darts perform way better; they fly farther, faster, and with less pumps. But I like the novelty and we occasionally use special rules for different ammo types, so it'd be better if we had more.

Plenty of people have come up with homemade missiles, and most of them are pretty good. The problem I keep running into is that they seem to require a different barrel size than the stock Titan. That's also fine, but I'd rather make something that won't need an adapter; if I'm going to make such a goofy fun thing as a missile, I'd like to share it with anyone else who happens to have a Titan.

To that end, I've gotten a little creative. As usual, maybe a little too creative.

HqeldgU.jpg

I had some 3mm craft foam whose original purpose has been lost, like you can find at Michael's. After pacing the plumbing aisle of the hardware store for too long, I thought "Why not just wrap a sheet of that stuff around the stock barrel and seal it up? Granted, I did use the ol' pipe insulation foam in the end, but only to weight the end.

-To keep the finished product from being too tight, I first wrapped the barrel with a couple sheets of printer paper, then I wrapped the foam to measure. That added thickness should allow for a good fit.

-The material sheet width came out to about 5 9/32in, but I had to trim it to get a more exact fit; I chiefly didn't want to have an overlapping seam that might leak during firing. Length-wise, I kept it about the same length as the stock missile.

-To hold it all together, I carefully wrapped it in some nice blue duct tape. It's not the most attractive finish, but it works for prototypes. The final version will probably involve a second wrap of foam for a smoother finish.

-The last three or four inches were stuffed with insulation foam for weight and stability.

-The fins are pretty straightforward for now, but I'd like to try at least one with box or tube fins like you see in model rockets sometimes. It might make loading and storage easier, and I'm always looking to try something different and interesting.

-Just for fun, numbered stripes on the nose to see which ones work well and which ones stink.

So far, they seem to perform about as well as the stock missile, which I'm kind of surprised by. They're nowhere near as heavy, so I'm thinking they might be too tight. But that might not be a problem from a consistency standpoint.

At the moment, it looks like I have enough material on hand for five of these, for a total of six. Which is great, but I've now run into another problem: how the heck am I going to carry these during a real game? Even though these are smaller than a stock missile, they're still pretty bulky; I'd need something the size of a small messenger bag at this rate.

More updates as they come.

#362725 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 13 March 2018 - 05:05 PM in Modifications

Welp, so much for that. All the printed parts more-or-less fitted together well enough; there was a fair amount of sanding in some spots, but that's the fault of the printer and it being less than user-friendly. But the HAMP parts aren't working. After fussing with the seal, the tubing I have on hand, and pounding on the plunger like it owed me money... well, I'll just say I could probably get my son to throw it further. I knew going in that there was a chance it wouldn't work, but I had to try anyway; nothing more painful than an itch you can't scratch.

Still, it's not all a complete waste. I like how the cosmetic barrel came out, so at the very least it's probably going to get a proper mounting lug and a rail or two.

I'd take a rail-mounted inline blaster just as readily as a HAMP. I thought while walking the dog last night that I should look into salvaging some tired old Nite Finders for that purpose. I think I have the internals at least mocked up already, so it'd only be a matter of making a housing. If that doesn't work, I might use this as an excuse to buy and cut down a SnapFire instead.

#362668 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 07 March 2018 - 08:14 PM in Modifications

One more thing before I get printing: Does anyone have the inner diameter for the Elite Missile like the Demolisher et al fires? I don't think I or any of my friends actually have anything that uses that ammo, but it's always good to be prepared and I'm feelin' lucky with this thing.

Could you by any chance provide a link to that battery pack online? I have an air compressor that also takes 12V, but I dont have a big enough battery tray.

It's just an eight-cell AA battery holder like this: (https://www.supercir...y-holder-bp12aa) I got one from a local store, but there are a few places on the Internet where you can get one. I just have a weird thing against ordering online for stuff I can find in brick-and-mortars.

#362663 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 06 March 2018 - 06:54 PM in Modifications

I... I uh... Boy. I have no idea whether that's a good idea or not, update if acid starts getting on things. Are you using printed dummy cells to bridge between your aftermarket wireing and ... 12v... battery? You should just rewire all the way to the motors so you actually harness the FULL POWER of a small car battery.

Is it really that dangerous? It's just eight rechargeable AA batteries in the blue casing, not a car battery or anything crazy. Unless I really blew it on the math, that adds up to about 12 volts. Aside from being a good-sized barnacle on the side, I didn't think it was anything particularly fancy and/or risky.

And the dummy cells are just these things: (https://www.thingive...m/thing:1872669) They're pretty much just holding the leads from the battery case, otherwise I'd have to clip or wrap them onto the existing battery terminals. I know it's not as great as a total rewire, but it gets my man in space soonest. That can come when a) I decide I want more, or b) the thing bursts into flames and kills my dog and ruins my marriage.

I hope you're using some kind of manufactured tubing for the hamp plunger tubes; printing them will not work well.

I'm going to use plain ol' PVC, just as usual. Printed tubes would bind too much and probably snap before long.

#362660 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 06 March 2018 - 03:55 PM in Modifications

Not dead yet! Just moving very slowly.

Finally made a 12v battery case. I'd rather use regular batteries I already have than buy something I'm not used to. Finding that 8-cell case was a pain in the butt, but it was worth it.

g3Vsr4M.jpg

It was supposed to have a retaining clip on top, but that broke pretty much the second I touched it.

OOHR1ab.jpg

It looks a little janky, but I wasn't using that side rail for anything, anyway. What, am I actually going to use a laser sight?

gUNyT2l.jpg

Not shown: printed dummy cells bridging the gap in the battery compartment.

Shown: embroidery floss covering up those nasty wires.

tpEWTJX.jpg

It looks kind of crummy, but the difference is like night and day. Compared to the range I'd get before, it feels rather commanding now. Not exactly a stealthy blaster now, but hopefully it won't need to be.

But that's just the start. I've got some other things in mind. Some rather questionable other things. Some questionable other things I have questions about.

I've been wondering about the possibility of making a more compact HAMP, possibly as an underbarrel add-on. The full-sized versions are pretty well established; powerful, but also stupidly easy to make. But they're also a little too full-sized to be anything other than a primary weapon. There seem to be a good number of manual blasters in the official line-up these days. The Demolisher, ThunderBlast, and Tri-Strike all basically use smaller HAMPS for back-up blasters, but I haven't really seen anything like that reproduced in the modding community.

So I started thinking... the HAMP relies on volume, so shouldn't I be able to split that volume up into a more compact package? Shouldn't a 12in pump attached to one barrel have the same performance as a pair of 6in pumps ganged together? These are dangerous questions to ask while I'm sitting in front of a CAD-capable computer with a 3D printer sitting nearby.

uNIXaWr.jpg

It makes sense in my head, but if I had a nickle for every time I stood before some figurative or literal smoldering heap and said "but it looked good on the computer..."

A bit of clarification since it's still kind of a cartoon instead of a finished model. Both pumps would lead to the same barrel via tubing; I know that creates dead space that can hinder performance, but I'm counting on it not being big enough in this case. The dark barrel part on top shows two barrels (Elite and Mega sizes), but I'm either going to use just one or try and devise some kind of idiot-proof plug; I've dabbled in toggles before, but with mixed results at best... actually, now that I think of it, I remember my earlier Elite +bow barrel part could fit neatly into the whole Mega barrel. Could I just use that as an adapter? Hm, tests...

Less important are the white pump foregrip and the red barrel. I still need to finalize the foregrip; no use picking drapes before I find out if the plumbing even works. The red barrel, outside of serving as an attachment point for the top barrel(s), is pretty much cosmetic. I wanted something more square, and the stock Nerf barrels seem to make my darts tumble if they graze the inside in the slightest.

So anyway, my big question is: Can I get away with splitting a larger HAMP into a pair of smaller parallel pumps?

#362270 White-and-Pink Black Box: Flipside Bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 16 January 2018 - 05:31 PM in Modifications

I found an unwanted Rebelle Flipside a little while ago. I never planned on getting one, but someone was just throwing it away and I was curious. It seems to work well enough. Pull back the string to prime, let it go to shoot, mash the trigger to flip to a fresh cylinder.

Of course I wonder how we can improve it, so I start looking it up and immediately hit a problem: there doesn’t seem to be much about modding the Flipside. I can’t even find a shot of the internals. I’d probably be able to wing it, but I’d rather not. It’s a perfectly good blaster and I’d rather not mess it up.

Does anyone else have any experience with this goofy thing?

#361951 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 13 November 2017 - 03:53 PM in Modifications

2) The Barrelstrike could work, or a Recon/Retaliator barrel with Roughcut underneath. Or, if you want to have compact firepower, you could slap an XBZ on top, and rig up an absolver barrel for it that you can swap out for a grenade launcher or pipe barrel for longer-range potshots. Need a shotgun blast while reloading? Just slap the big, orange button.

Adding a Roughcut seems to be a pretty popular option, which I might spring for if I get access to a 3D printer again. I've already got a rail-to-rail adapter model ready.

But I notice that pretty much everyone cuts the handle off theirs when they use it as an underbarrel. Is it not possible to keep it intact?

Dont use ***fires
Hobby/rc/airsoft packs in 2-3s (~6-14v) configurations are typical, but there are other options: big bricks o batteries are basically just packs without wrappers and drill/power tool batteries should be capable of supplying the demand we have.
Dont forget that voltage mods should also include new wires, motors, and switches; look up MTBs stryfe modguide
The Rayvans barrel lug is the same standard since the LS as far as I can tell, most accessories should work with it just fine.

I would like to give it an overhaul someday, but I'd like to take it slow. That's a lot of stuff to do, and I'm a bit short on time and electronics skill to just dive in.

#361931 A couple Hardly Ideal Rayven Improvements

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 10 November 2017 - 07:29 PM in Modifications

I love my Rayven, but I hate to admit it isn't doing as well as it should. Its range could be better, and an underbarrel add-on would help keep me safe during reloads. But last I checked, the blaster's been discontinued, so I thought I'd ask before doing something drastic and/or irreversible.

1) I understand that a voltage increase is a quick and easy way to get more range and speed. From what I understand, the most common solutions are higher voltage AAs (i.e. TrustFire 3.7v with dummy cells), or a dedicated 12v battery pack. Are there any alternatives I'm missing?
1a) I wonder if there's a way to use more conventional 1.5v batteries to reach 12 volts, like adding a second pack on the side somewhere. I'm just a little reluctant to buy a whole new charger just for a Nerf gun.

2) As far as underbarrel blasters go, there's almost too many to choose from. I'm leaning towards one of those Barrel Strikes but I have no idea if it'd fit onto the Rayven's mounting lug. Has anyone put those two together? If that won't work, I'll probably go with a Recon Barrel with something attached with 3D-printed rail-to-rail adapters; it'd give me an excuse to get a Rough Cut, at least.

#360008 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 18 May 2017 - 04:15 PM in Modifications

So, I finally did some messing around with the Magnus. Not the best paint job, but it's amazing what you can do with a dry $1 sponge brush.

FMLX5HFJ2UPA70X.MEDIUM.jpg

I've been playing The Phantom Pain recently, so I'm going through a bit of a stun-gun phase. That means chunky weapons, blue features, and caution stripes.

FU004TKJ2UPA72M.MEDIUM.jpg

I did this before the paint, but one of the first things I did was make an adapter for 12mm Elite darts. The 19mm Mega is still relatively new, so we have way less darts. I didn't want to be left high and dry in a fight.

FMLE4OJJ2UPA73N.MEDIUM.jpg

It even fits nicely into the magazine, so I can load it as the last shot and waste no time switching to Elites.

FXUPPVFJ2UPA747.MEDIUM.jpg

But wait, what the heck is...

FYCXWHZJ2UPA75U.MEDIUM.jpg

Huh, some printed part?

FJN3WCMJ2UPA76E.MEDIUM.jpg

Oh, it's a rail expansion/wrapper. Now I can add a scope.

#359543 A hardly ideal Afterburner extension

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 28 April 2017 - 06:44 PM in Homemades

I love my Rayven. It's a bullpup and it loads from a clip and it looks like something from Ghost in the Shell and it goes PYEW PYEW PYEW! Okay, that's me making those sounds, ya got me there.

But truth be told, its range and speed are kind of anemic without some serious mods. I don't want to potentially ruin it since they seem to have dropped out of production, so the next best thing would be an Afterburner system of some kind.

Naturally, it's easy to get carried away on the computer:

LsNGBgZ.gif

Before I go and drop money on printed plastic and motors, I better have a good plan first:

-I probably should've asked before modelling, but has anyone already made an Afterburner extension? Knowing my track record, someone else has probably made something even better. I saw roboman was working on one in the Homemades thread, but I didn't see a finished product or download link.

-I'd prefer to make an extension instead of integrating it into one blaster. If I ever get a better flywheel blaster, then I'd be able to switch over.

-I'm thinking of tilting the motors to induce a spin in the dart for accuracy. I'm pretty sure they do something like that on punting machines. They're both angled 5 degrees off perpendicular, but that's just a guess at where they should go.

-I still need to figure out a switch. A toggle would probably be easiest, but I thought about using a lever attached to a plate that would turn it on just by gripping it. I haven't even begun to engineer that.

-I still need to figure out a battery solution. Four AAs should do with the motors I plan on using, but how to cover them up is another story. A sliding cover would probably work just fine, but I should probably use this as an opportunity to practice with live hinges.

So, nothing really substantive to report for now, I suppose. Just daydreaming in public.

#359459 A hardly ideal Airow knockoff

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 25 April 2017 - 06:29 PM in Homemades

I've seen the PVC bows around and they look fine, but I just wanted to try it with what I've already got. It's a novel idea I haven't seen before, and I'm not sure I have the storage space at home for another giant bow.

The folks on the other thread were similarly worried about the muzzle velocity, but I don't think I need to worry here. For one thing, I don't plan on using a compound bow, but a fiberglass recurve. It's pretty damn casual compared to a compound bow; I don't understand the terminology of having a #29 pull at 28 inches, but I do know that all the other bows at the range send arrows flying way faster than mine. And in the off-chance that this thing turn out to be an eyeball-seeking polyurethane penetrator, I can always drill vents into the barrel until it gets to a sane level.

I just can't figure out how to mount it in a decent way. I'd like to be able to still use the bow for regular arrows after, so I'd rather not modify the bow itself. That probably means some manner of clamp, which I plan to 3D print, but that's always tricky since printed ABS and screw threads don't really work. It's kind of a miracle my +bow holds together as is. I'd like to use off-the-shelf parts if I can, but it'll almost certainly require some whacky printed parts.

---

...crap, those PVC bows have me thinking about Japanese bows. They're enormous at around 2 meters tall, and the arms are asymmetrical so you could probably use one in a crouch. Hm, tests...

#359412 A hardly ideal Airow knockoff

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 24 April 2017 - 03:13 PM in Homemades

There's a locked topic from a few years back about converting an Airow for Nerf darts. I've been thinking about using a longbow to fire darts since long before I even heard of the the Airow, but I could never really come up with anything that works. Not that that keeps me from daydreaming.

sCSyDz7.gif

It always looks good on the computer, but there's a number of things that have always made me stumble in actually making one.

The first big problem I have is mounting the whole thing. This is intended to mount on a cheap little fiberglass longbow (this one, I think); it's far from the best thing for launching arrows, but then again so am I. But that means there aren't any nice mounting points like you'd have on a sporting compound bow. I'd rather not drill into the bow anywhere, either. And because I love making my life more difficult, I'd like to make something ambidextrous if possible; I have some left-handed friends, and I'd rather not cheat them out of trying one of these if I ever made it.

Second is that this thing is going to be front-heavy. I'm guessing there's about 2 pounds of plastic in all the main parts. And it's going to be long, too. At least 24 inches, but the bow itself has a draw of something like 28. I could probably fix that with some rearward stabilizers, but again I have no idea how to mount those.

And speaking of the junk in the front, I wonder how exactly to load this thing. It's way too long to just stick a barrel on the far end, so I have a small barrel near the hand grip connected by a tube at the end of the plunger assembly. That kind of thing worked for the legendary '95 Crossbow, right? And I just now realized I put the rail with the dart rack on the wrong side for a right-handed user; they'd have to reach across awkwardly. Hrm.

So, is this possible or is this daft? It really feels like it could be done, what with there being at least three kinds of bows that come to mind.

#358899 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 29 March 2017 - 10:57 PM in Homemades

There's a printable version coming out?

*glances through the rest of the thread*

...oh wow, and how.
*glances nervously at increasingly mangled SolidWorks flat parts*

*shrugs* Eh, let's ride this weird rocket all the way.

While I'm here, I want to make sure I'm clear on a few more things before I go for it. Apologies in advance if I missed these from earlier in the thread.

1NebGCX.png

This thing can fire stock darts, right? Like, I can walk into Target, grab a pack of those intriguing high-accuracy darts, toss 'em in a six-dart mag and go for it? I've never really worked with homemade darts, and I don't really have the time or requisite madness to start.*

If that's the case, is that internal barrel in the front entirely necessary? (the orange-ish one with the yellow "chamber" at the breach)

*I dunno, check back when my son is old enough to start pestering me about Nerf stuff he read on the Internet

#358840 "Oakfinder" Wooden Nite Finder

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 27 March 2017 - 12:19 PM in Modifications

That's So COOL! How long did it take you to build everything?

Not terribly long, I don't think. Maybe a weekend or two, once glue time and full-time employment is factored in.

#358771 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 24 March 2017 - 06:46 PM in Homemades

I guess I'll need to try this after I get my wonky +bow to behave again.

Before I dive into it, I see in the part list that it uses a 9637K26 for the main spring, but would a [k25] work? I'd rather not buy another bag of parts for a build that may or may not work.

Also, I hope you'll forgive me for tweaking things if I get around to making one. A new pump handle and a rail or two, at least.

And triangles. Everything looks cooler with triangles.

#358763 "Oakfinder" Wooden Nite Finder

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 24 March 2017 - 02:13 PM in Modifications

I completely forgot that I made this thing.

F8JS1M4HFSHUU8X.MEDIUM.jpg

Took the parts of an old Nite Finder and put them in a shell made of scrap wood.

FNNA5J5HFPTJV5W.MEDIUM.jpg

(camo darts just for nice photos. I'd never see them again if I used them in a park or back yard)

FMQLK0OHFWSUXF2.MEDIUM.jpg

Bigger and chunkier, but that's alright. I was really just trying for something more... I'm not sure what word I'm looking for. Wholesome? Old-timey?

FJET269HW6SXZRW.MEDIUM.jpg

And it has a case to live in, too!

FURNRYLHW6SY01T.LARGE.jpg

Inspired by Adam Savage and his lovely Blade Runner pistol case.

#358682 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 21 March 2017 - 05:57 PM in Homemades

May as well upload a snapshot of the assembly; it should include the base blaster, shoulder stock, front rails, a 12mm dart barrel, and a dart holder. It might be rough in some spots, but that shouldn't be a problem for a SolidWorks user.

Attached File  PB Stage 03.zip   12.99MB   289 downloads

#358560 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 14 March 2017 - 06:44 PM in Homemades

Why not just build a Caliburn then, which is already a top-tier mag-fed homemade? :huh:

Seconding that. I haven't looked at the Caliburn closely yet, but I can already tell you it's better than anything I can make.

I'll still see if I can get the SolidWorks assembly, but you might be better off looking for other +bow references. They're going to be better documented, and my assembly is a bit messy. I never really meant to share it, and it's got a lot of stuff that's in-progress.

#358497 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 10 March 2017 - 07:29 PM in Homemades

Okay, let's see if I can upload some part files. Assembly guide later when I find the time to put something together.

Attached File  PB Catch Plate.STL   3.21KB   294 downloads

Attached File  PB Frame Spacer 01.STL   18.83KB   296 downloads

Attached File  PB Frame Spacer 02.STL   16.68KB   297 downloads

Attached File  PB Front Catch.STL   32.31KB   298 downloads

Attached File  PB Grip Handle.STL   182.7KB   292 downloads

Attached File  PB Muzzle Frame.STL   31.14KB   302 downloads

Attached File  PB Plunger Support.STL   30.36KB   291 downloads

Attached File  PB Rear Catch.STL   36.12KB   295 downloads

Attached File  PB Ring Trigger.STL   21.37KB   291 downloads

Attached File  PB Side Panel.STL   102.82KB   301 downloads

Attached File  PB Spring Block.STL   20.59KB   289 downloads

Attached File  PB Trigger Guard.STL   43.25KB   297 downloads

Attached File  PB0 Top Rail A.STL   98.71KB   295 downloads

Attached File  PB0 Top Rail B.STL   54.57KB   294 downloads

#358198 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 24 February 2017 - 07:49 PM in Homemades

Well, hello there!

I'm not sure I can think of a consumer printer that can print 21 inches of blaster in one go, but wow.

#358172 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 23 February 2017 - 04:49 PM in Homemades

Moving along on prepping the parts for sharing, but I forgot to ask about one important thing: Should I include the cutouts? I sure think they look cool, but not everyone is me and other people probably have different tastes.

#358139 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 22 February 2017 - 02:40 PM in Homemades

I'll look at this more in a bit, but:

1) Do you have files to share?

2) Look at these files and see if they help you any

3) Really, switch to the oring PH in my files or one of the ones in Aeromechs or Ryan###'s files for the PSCR and ESLT.

Ed: Ok, with more time to actually respond - good job on making your first homemade, and coming up with it pretty much on your own! I saw your post in the picture thread - to answer it, you post new threads when you are providing new information to the community, a homemade like this with files and a writeup for example; or if you want feedback on this because you're having trouble. You post in the picture threads to show off/post something you've done, but that doesn't require further comment or isn't ready yet.

What program are you using? Filleting (rounding over) the edges should be a snap in almost any program. I'd like to see pictures or screenshots of your individual parts as they're intended to be printed - the old +Bow has a large partcount and some of those parts aren't necessary (The newest iteration of +Bow does away with the majority of the sideplates), I might be able to help you reduce print time and material. It also looks like you've printed everything except the plunger tube, fasteners, and spring; there are definitely off-the-shelf parts to replace some of those prints (1"-1/2" PVC bushing, for example, works great as a PT > barrel adapter. The plunger rod isn't especially hard to make either IIRC).

I copied the original templates in SolidWorks, which I use for my day job. I have the whole assembly saved; it's kind of a living project still. I just need to get it fit for sharing first.

This is pretty sweet! I'm in the process of designing parts for my own projects, but that's really impressive. 

Unfortunately, 3d printed material isn't great for a long +bow style plunger rod. I'm afraid that you're going to have to use delrin, nylon, polycarbonate, or cpvc or something. 

I eagerly await these files and a pump-action variant!

Yeah, I've been kicking around a few ideas on how to build a better plunger rod. Reinforce with thin aluminum sheet, integrate a threaded rod, maybe even paracord, I'm not sure. That's a few degrees harder than adjusting templates.

And I thought about including a pump action at one point, but I ran out of space and haven't worked out a return mechanism for the handle. It might make it in there, but it's not high on my list.

And until I get everything squared away for sharing...

jaqJqm8.gif

#358087 A hardly ideal Rebelle PDW

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 20 February 2017 - 03:53 PM in Modifications

I got a codebreaker crossbow on sale, but when I opened it up to remove the locks it turned out to be way more complex than I expected, so it's in the parts bin for now.

I've looked at that thing longingly for a while. With just a little work, I'll bet you could make it look like something right outta Mass Effect.

Your mod looks great, did you do any internal functional work or just the cool paintjob?

Not yet. I forget how it looked exactly, but it was a little complex inside and I wasn't really set up for tinkering with the internals.

But again, I'm not sure it really needs any. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it kinda feels like a Doublestrike in priming and range. That is to say, a little stiff and surprisingly far. I could easily see myself dropping my Rayven when I run out of magazines and going the rest of a fight with the Secret Shot and loose darts.

#358076 A hardly ideal Rebelle PDW

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 20 February 2017 - 02:23 PM in Modifications

I don't think I've seen anyone modify many Rebelle blasters, and that's kind of a bummer. A lot of those look pretty sweet! Like, look at the Secret Shot.

FL5GV18IBFSM1ZG.MEDIUM.jpg

Sure, it's a little handbag thing, but try and have some vision.

FPVSPI8IBFSM1ZV.LARGE.jpg

See? That's more like it!

FPMXDQ4IBFSM1ZY.LARGE.jpg

"TOHA HEAVY INDUSTRIES

TYPE SS05 REPEATING PDW

12X72MM UNRIFLED POLYURETHANE SLUGS

CLEARANECE LEVEL - MIDNIGHT 3"

I've been into Tsutomu Nihei lately (BLAME!, Biomega, etc), so that's where the logo and general style comes from. He seems to have a thing for boxy weapons with surprising firepower, so it seemed like an obvious choice.

It wasn't all smooth sailing, though. I originally meant to try some sponged-on stripe deal, but...

FEIR1BAIBFSM1ZU.MEDIUM.jpg

FB5L2TYIBFSM1ZQ.MEDIUM.jpg

Wait, crap, that isn't right, why is this happening.

In retrospect, I really should've hit the whole thing with sandpaper to make the paint stick better. But in the meantime, I had some blank label paper I was already using for decals, so I got the idea to just freehand the contour lines instead. Not an ideal solution, but it works for now.

And no internal mods at this point, but I'm not entirely sure it needs any. Right out of the box, it gets decent range for something so small. I made this before I had access to a 3D printer, so now there might be more touches in its future. Rails, a better handle, a better release knob, who knows?

Not the best by any measure, but I'm still pleased as hell.

#358025 A hardly ideal +bow

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 17 February 2017 - 03:59 PM in Homemades

I've wanted to make a +bow for years- about since it first came out- but I could never quite get it to work. The materials and tools required were prohibitively expensive, and my brother and I had already collected a whole galaxy of comparable modified blasters in the meantime. After a string of other failures and disappointments, the whole idea of homemades kind of dropped off my radar.

Fast forward to 2016. At work, I've been tasked with feeding and watering our new-ish 3D printer, which we got it for making prototypes, quick repair parts, and custom tool caddies. My boss told me to "get good with the thing" and "I expect to see cool things on your desk soon."

He's a great guy, but you should really be careful what you wish for.

F7SX5T9IXUQAFY3.LARGE.jpg

Not the greatest +bow in the world, but it's mine. And aside from a janky Snapbow-like thing that scored maybe one hit before ruining itself, I'd call this my first practical homemade.

• Aside from the plunger body, spring, and fasteners, everything is 3D-printed.
  • Largely identical to CaptainSlug's original except for some minor tweaks.
  • Embellished the panels and grip with triangular cutouts. I kind of have a thing for triangles these days.
  • Three levels of draw like the original design, but with an original plunger head. I can never get the right rubber seals, but I've managed to get a solid plastic plunger head at just the right diameter. Less than ideal, but I'm not about to question anything that actually works.
  • Customized plunger rod grip. The original was a bit too big and sharp for my liking
  • Built-in dart holder. I thought about including add-on rails, but I almost never use those except for dart holders. So for a scratch build like this, I decided to just integrate it from the start.

I've yet to use it in an actual game, but the +bow already feels like a very versatile platform. So naturally, this is a work-in-progress.

FRXZ411IY0FZ4SZ.LARGE.jpg

Stage 01

• All the important parts out of the printer. A few tweaks to the original to account for taste and oversights on my part.
  • Fancier grip than the stock model. Thinner, smoother, and ya gotta have a triangle on it. Did I mention I like triangles?
  • Ring trigger just for fun.
  • Spacer between the front frame plate and the catch frame (dark blue with the obround slot). I only had the plunger body screwed and glued into the catch frame, but that wasn't nearly enough to keep it in place as the plunger head slammed into the far end of the body. Now it's much more solid.

F3TLG9KIY0FZ4T1.LARGE.jpg

Stage 02

• Added a shoulder stock, designed and built from scratch. I'm not sure the stock actually helps with accuracy, but it looks nice and feels better. I might try to add tool or part storage later.
  • Plunger body shroud. That was actually made as a study in lightsaber handles, so I just slapped it on as the design was superseded. That white space looked empty, anyway.

FLCW0YGIY0FZ4TU.LARGE.jpg

Stage 03

• After realizing how much oomph this thing really has, I made a barrel for Mega darts. I'd like to try and make a system that would let me toggle between both types of darts like the Dual-Strike, but I might be running into the limit of the 3D printer's capabilities.
  • Empty spot in the stock is being used for holding the extra barrel. The rubber band has since been replaced with Velcro straps, but I'd like to make a proper box for holding tools and extra fasteners.

It's been hardly perfect so far. There's a few sharp corners I've had to deal with, and more than a few mechanical problems. The plunger rod has broken at least three times; if that keeps up, I might try for a paracord solution like I've done in the past. And the plunger head still hits the end of the body pretty hard, so I should probably come up with a solution for that. Still, it's been a very successful build so far.

Pictures and updates as they come.

#358007 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 16 February 2017 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

This is the weirdest thing ever.

Yes, that is a constant force spring.

A constant force spring? Like the ones used in tape measures and such? Nice!

It took me long enough, but I finally made my own +bow.

F7SX5T9IXUQAFY3.MEDIUM.jpg

I've wanted to make one for years, but it never really worked thanks to lack of proper tools and budget. But then we got a 3D printer at work and I got a mandate to figure out how to use it, so...

Still kind of a work-in-progress. I've got more features I'd like to work in, as well as a few parts that still need improvement (like the plunger rod breaking every so often).

And while we're at it:

F42Z9WKIZ6CU7Q1.MEDIUM.jpg

Oh hey there, Sneak Attacker. You're cute, but you're not exactly a homemade bla-

FPP3CQXIZ6CU7QN.MEDIUM.jpg

Wait, what is this?

FIFZ6HCIZ6CU7QX.MEDIUM.jpg

Uh...

FLZWTHSIZ6CU7RC.MEDIUM.jpg

What.

FW3F9CQIZ6CU7RL.MEDIUM.jpg

Are you serious?

(https://cdn.instruct...M9XIZ6CU7SU.stl)

#358005 sledgefire sidesaddles

Posted by Hardly Ideal on 16 February 2017 - 06:23 PM in General Nerf

Just to make sure I'm reading right, we're talking about something that holds the shells themselves? In that case, it looks like someone is selling a top-mounted version, among other things.

I could take a stab at modeling a side-saddle mount if I find the time. I don't have a Sledgefire, but I have an .stl of a shell that I can work with.