Zatoichi's Content

There have been 5 items by Zatoichi (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#158314 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by Zatoichi on 07 June 2008 - 02:37 AM in Modifications

Okay, this may sound like a "uber-newb" question but I've just recently felt up to modding a Longshot (after successful recon, crossfire, and nightfinder mods) and I am stuck. If I don't own a dremmel, how do I get the air restricter out? I've followed a few mods that recommend the dremmel but I've usually found that I can tackle it with a drill, a hacksaw, patience and a perverse desire to win. Cartoon advises not drilling it out...is there any reason for this other than the inability to get a large enough bit to make the hole the same size as his? Could this be fixed with a straw or pen? I suppose I could try a sanding bit, but I wanted to ask the experts before I took to experimenting too much.

Also, in cartoon's write up, all the parts are orange. In my long shot, most of the parts are black; are there any significant changes between generations that anyone has noted yet?

Thanks,
Ichi

#157229 Recon Modification

Posted by Zatoichi on 27 May 2008 - 10:34 PM in Modifications

Very nice mod, I can't wait to see the ranges. I do have some questions though, in order of cogency:

1) Did you drill out you AR or use some other means (I am assuming it's gone, I think I can see the remains but the picture is a little fuzzy)? Perhaps I am not following the write up properly but unless the diameter of the pen and the diameter of hole left from the AR are the same, don't you run the risk of creating turbulence and losing some of the benefit?

2) Is the E-tape the only seal between the pen and the AR hole?

3) Is there a particular reason for the 2" half pipe? If the new barrel is snuggly sitting in the bolt, do I need to cut the half-pipe back?

4) It looks like all the force of that RF20 spring is going to be tugging on the glue attaching the Titan barrel to the rear end cap, are you concerned about wear and tear on that joint?

5) Can you still attach the stock?

6) Is the Angel breech going to require ripping any of this out? (I am still attempting to figure out exactly how the Angel breech works, if this is a silly question, disregard it.)

7) I am assuming that the internal barrel replacement is to accommodate your personal darts; supposing I am using stock streamlines (simply for the sake of a constant), how much tighter is the grip of the replacement barrel and over what length? I appears that you're running it all the way back to the AR (which makes sense), but as it's transparent I am having trouble seeing.

Apologies if some of the answers seem obvious, I've only recently graduated to barrel replacements and am very much a newbie on this forum.
Ichi

#157208 A Warning On A Paint

Posted by Zatoichi on 27 May 2008 - 08:22 PM in Modifications

After a little testing, it looks like a combination of user error and the product. When I am careful to keep correct distance, rate, agitation, and angle, everything is fine. However, if I tilt the can more than about 45 degrees, I can see a clear liquid along with the pigment which, if allowed to sit, produces the same result as the one I initially posted. I could have picked up a bad can (I am not in a rush to go out and pick up another) but it seems likely that the paint's softening agent is meant for brief, rather than prolonged and isolated exposure to the plastic and if the mixture isn't properly aerated, it just eats away at the plastic. So, in the end, if you use this product, be exceedingly cautious. I have used Krylon products for some time and this is the first issue like this I have had, so I am not going to slam the brand; just be mindful of a smaller than usual margin for error.
Ichi

#157196 A Warning On A Paint

Posted by Zatoichi on 27 May 2008 - 06:13 PM in Modifications

Firstly, all apologies for the grammar earlier, I think I was still fuzzed from the paint fumes. Back to the issue at hand; my camera is elsewhere but I think I can describe the result fairly clearly. Looking closely, the acetone hypothesis seems most reasonable; there were no flames, sizzle, smoke or the like, merely a softening of the plastic into a gelatinous goo. The tips of the plastic adhered to the paper they were resting on, leaving fine threads behind when pulled up, similar to hot glue. It is possible I failed to properly shake the can. I have worked with spray paint a significant amount however, so while I cannot recall exactly how much time I spent shaking, I doubt that I did not shake it at all. It may be that these paints require extra agitation. It is also possible I picked up a bad can. I will admit that I was sloppy in that I allowed the paint to accumulate in the well and sit for a spell, perhaps it was the result of a combination of these factors. I am presently testing the paint on some scrap Nerf parts. I will post the results as they become available and try to track down a camera.

Ichi

#157184 A Warning On A Paint

Posted by Zatoichi on 27 May 2008 - 05:03 PM in Modifications

I just finished modding the front gun for my LS and I was tossing a paint job on it when I noticed something worth reporting. I was a tad sloppy with Krylon Fusion For Plastics and a few drips went into the screw sockets. After about 20 minutes, I took a look and saw that the paint had melted or otherwise softened plastic of the screw threads and the tip of the well. In retrospect, I'm sure this is likely on account of whatever agent gives the paint its "Bonds to Plastic!" magic, but I am no stranger to spray paint - if I could make this mistake, I figure others might too. Fortunately, it wasn't my LS. So, anyway, be aware.
Ichi

Side Note: I know everyone finds the LS front gun pretty much useless, but if you're throwing one away or not using it, I'll gladly pick up shipping.