Silly's Content

There have been 229 items by Silly (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364746 Too Cool to be Left in Old School: Modernized ESLT Project

Posted by Silly on 16 November 2023 - 09:35 PM in Homemades

So, this project is going well. 

#364745 Rainfaux

Posted by Silly on 16 November 2023 - 09:24 PM in Homemades

Great work. 

#364733 ESLT 1.6 Instructions

Posted by Silly on 01 September 2023 - 01:26 PM in Homemades

For those who are searching, I believe the correct extension spring spec (from the now offline ESLT 1.5 Hardware list) is "9432K125.ExtensionSpring" 9432K125 from McMaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9432K125/

#364732 Too Cool to be Left in Old School: Modernized ESLT Project

Posted by Silly on 26 August 2023 - 11:27 PM in Homemades

Hey everyone, long time no see. NH feels like the perfect place to share this new project of mine:

Modern ESLT 1 v24 2 - Copy (2).png

Modern ESLT 1 v24 2 - Copy - Copy.png

This is going to be my attempt at making a "modernized" version of the ESLT mechanism. 

For those who (somehow) don't know about the ESLT, here's the most recent thread about the blaster: http://nerfhaven.com...6-instructions/

My "modernization" of the design aims to keep the same aesthetic and roots as the original, while improving on durability, printability, sourcing of parts, and bringing in a bunch of modern quality-of-life features. A lot of stuff has been learnt (collectively by the community) in the more than 10 years since the original ESLT.

Currently planned or implemented features/improvements:

• Updated more modern hardware standards that are easier to source from modern hobby shops (OutOfDarts, SilverFoxIndustries, etc)
  • More durable printed parts
  • Better printability
  • Better air seal
  • Ability to swap between Talon mag feeding or Hopper feeding
  • Quick barrel swapping and better barrel retention
  • More comfortable stock and grip
  • More reliable catch mechanism
  • Lighter trigger pull
  • Improved pump grip, and several pump grip options to choose from (Picatinny rail, original style, modernized angled grip)
  • Easier swapping between extension spring and latex/elastic setups (also possibly compatibility with "normal" compression springs such as [k25] or 788)
  • Sturdier overall build quality
  • Lighter
  • Adjustable stock / length of pull
  • etc etc etc

These changes should be relatively easy to pull off with modern techniques, while still keeping the original soul of the design, both aesthetically and mechanically. 

I don't plan to update this thread as often as I do on Reddit/YouTube/Discord, but expect an update every few months or so until the design is finished.

-Sillybutts

#364711 Legend Lost: Ryan McNumbers

Posted by Silly on 25 June 2022 - 09:40 AM in News

I told you this on your Reddit thread already, but we all appreciate you making this post. It clearly was difficult to write. I’ve wondered where Ryan ended up for years, it is very sad to hear this news. 

#364692 Bowpup

Posted by Silly on 18 May 2022 - 08:14 AM in Homemades

I concur that it is worthy! I saw you building on the Orion Blasters Discord, very nicely done. I especially like the parody of the original photo! 

im7jv.jpgTPFFwAq.jpg

#364686 Project 13: Brushless machine pistol

Posted by Silly on 09 March 2022 - 02:27 PM in Homemades

Fantastic stuff as usual. Firing demo?

This looks like such a fun little dart hose.

Its not often that I see steppers used in flywheelers anymore. The last time I can think of was the FDL 2.

#364682 Project 16: A full-auto mag-fed shotgun

Posted by Silly on 19 February 2022 - 09:06 PM in Homemades

Super cool! Any chance we can get a firing demo vid? What kind of mag spring did you use, two drum springs? 

#364679 Aeon Pro Pump Upgrade Kit: A Full 'Drop-In' System

Posted by Silly on 10 January 2022 - 09:13 AM in Modifications

Fantastic writeup! 

#364677 Re-creating the Nerf SledgeFire: The SuperSledge

Posted by Silly on 05 January 2022 - 02:26 PM in Homemades

I and Spud also made some cool MegaXL barrels that I'll be using in the SuperSledge. Going to have a barrel just for MXL. 

https://github.com/S...rlyMegaXLBarrel

STEP and F3D files are included so you can go make your own edits on the design, or integrate it into your own blaster/mod.

#364676 Re-creating the Nerf SledgeFire: The SuperSledge

Posted by Silly on 01 January 2022 - 07:59 PM in Homemades

The prototype is working excellently! I have a bunch of things to tweak, but the majority of this turned out really nice!

https://youtu.be/pdmsKouHnXU

#364673 Re-creating the Nerf SledgeFire: The SuperSledge

Posted by Silly on 29 December 2021 - 03:54 PM in Homemades

I'm still massively impressed with how well this turned out, and how efficient your productivity was with it.

Thanks! I managed to do all of the design so far in less than a month, I'm pretty happy about that. 

Excellent photo and contextualization.

Thanks x2

Above all else, the utilization of pre-existing hardware kits to constrain your development but also make recreating it easier on anyone else is something I've heavily considered in future builds.

I enjoy using all the same hardware that Slug uses, preferably all the same lengths that he uses as well. It makes it a lot easier for individual builders to get hardware, since they can either order from Slug, or find it pretty easily themselves.

And since people have already made metric versions of Slug's designs, its easy for international people to use metric hardware instead of trying to get imperial stuff shipped overseas. It also makes setting up production of the designs with other sellers a LOT easier, since most other big hobby printing shops already sell Slug blasters and usually have the hardware on hand already.

(Thanks for the shoutout as well!)

Np ;)

You're going to have to tell me how you take these images in Fusion. I know they aren't renders. Are these just screenshots from your computer? Mine never look this good when I do so.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 153629.png

Capture.PNG

I'm surprised at the amount of people that don't know of Fusion360's image capture feature!

Depending on the performance,

I'm still working on getting my first fully functional prototype printed, but I am expecting FPS of over 200 with a singled, barreled shell. The standard SpringThunder shells without a barrel will definitely be getting less, but will still be serviceable. The plunger volume here is more than a v4 Talon Claw, so it's nothing to scoff at. 

I could easily see this becoming a standard jump-off point for other remixes and modulations.

As usual, I'm planning to release the files for free, so people can go make modifications however they want (as long as they don't try to sell it without chatting with me first :P ). The only thing I usually ask of people is to consider buying something on my RedBubble shop, just so I can get some kickback for the time sunk into each design. I might open up a "PayPal.me" thing at some point so people can more directly throw money at me, but idk how well that would work out. 

Thanks for keeping the NH writeup train going!

NerfHaven fo life!

#364671 Re-creating the Nerf SledgeFire: The SuperSledge

Posted by Silly on 27 December 2021 - 02:17 PM in Homemades

Decided that NerfHaven would probably be the best place to document the step-by-step development of my newest blaster design, the SuperSledge. 

The SuperSledge is a full recreation of the Nerf SledgeFire, but improving it for NIC use in every way. Larger plunger tube, stronger springs, community designed shells (Spring Thunder right now, more later), quick takedown functionality, quick barrel, stock, spring, and ammo type swapping (no screws, all takedown pins), and the whole blaster uses easily accessible hardware and pretty simple 3d prints. 

The only spring in this blaster is a chunk of [[[k25]]] for the plunger. The catch, trigger return, priming lever return, and ejection are all covered by two pieces of elastic cord. The top barrel locking lever uses a rubber band or hair tie.

The barrel and stock can be easily removed, with two takedown pins for the barrel, and one takedown pin for the stock. The ammo type can be swapped quickly with a swap of the barrel and breech face, only three takedown pins. The spring can be swapped easily as well, with only three takedown pins removed. All able to be done at a game, maybe even on the field if you wanted to.

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v582 1.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v582 4.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v582 2.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v583 - Copy.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v582 3.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v582 5.png

Here are some development photos: 

Homemade Sledgefire v4 1.png

I started out by doing a straight 1:1 sketch of my SledgeFire's internals.

https://www.youtube....h?v=OJQCfiQKtqw

I also took some video of the SledgeFire's internals, just to work over them in my head.

Homemade Sledgefire v11.png

This is where the 1:1 sketch ended up after some refining.

Homemade Sledgefire v58.png

Homemade Sledgefire v58 2.png

Here you can see that I have removed the trigger lock and fleshed out all the internal components. There is a rudimentary priming pivot, as well as more properly sized levers and bars. I have also added a segment of FLAK 2"OD plunger tube and begun work on a plunger.

Homemade Sledgefire v84 2.png

The first side panels are now in place! Lots of small tweaks were made to all the internals, tweaking thicknesses and lengths. The catch is now properly supported, there are spacers to keep the internals centered between the side plates, and the plunger has been simplified. The priming lever is now an actual lever. There is a small dingus on the back of the trigger used for attaching an elastic through the catch, but it was pretty quickly removed in favor of a simple hole through the whole trigger.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UtcTChv5F5E Video overview of the design so far.

This was the point where I made my first test print, just to check internal functionality and printability. There were definitely tweaks to be made to improve reliability, but this was when I was 100% sure that this concept could work in the real world, not just in CAD.

https://www.youtube....h?v=8y1QMHJ7zKs

Homemade Sledgefire v136.png

Homemade Sledgefire v151 2.png

This is where I began modeling the grip. I used the basic thickness and length of a v4 Caliburn grip, but that didn't last for long as you will see next. You can also see that the internal spacers are now small discs instead of larger parts. There are now also connection blocks and a bottom cover.

Homemade Sledgefire v255.png

Homemade Sledgefire v309.png

Here I've begun to smooth out the edges and corners of the side panels. The top-back of the blaster now has nice covering plates. The grip has also progressed into it's basic final design, split into 3 pieces; a core and two side panels (SpudSpudoni helped me a bit with figuring out the Fusion tools to make the finger groove curve near the trigger well. Thanks Spud!). There is now a shell storage stock as well.

Homemade Sledgefire v323.png

Homemade Sledgefire v429.png

Barrel! The shell ejection mechanism can be seen much better in the next image. You can see the stock lug now too.

https://www.youtube....h?v=R51Mks6aqek I also did another video overview around this point.

Homemade Sledgefire v494.png

Lots of work around the plunger tube. The breech face is now thicker and locked in place with a top strap and a takedown pin. The barrel latch is now also in place.

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v584.png

Homemade Sledgefire SuperSledge v583.png

And here is the current design! Lots of small tweaks to parts, lots of smoothing and print optimization. Previously, some parts were just floating in place. Now, all the screws and connections are modeled. Some parts have been combined (the bottom cover and the elastic guide pin). I also made all the hardware visible in this photo (minus some screws and the three pieces of elastic).

#364670 MEGA T19 – T-Motor F80 Pro remix

Posted by Silly on 14 December 2021 - 09:41 PM in Homemades

Very, very cool.

#364668 Where is the best place to sell my nerf collection?

Posted by Silly on 12 October 2021 - 02:28 PM in General Nerf

The trading bit of NH shut down a long while ago, you could try r/NerfExchange on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/NerfExchange/

Some of the Discord servers I'm on also have trading/sell channels.

#364663 My solution to the 'Print-Zip' Noise from 3D printed Pump Grip

Posted by Silly on 10 September 2021 - 06:45 PM in Homemades

Nerfhaven is cool again!

Did it ever cease being cool? ;)

#364661 My solution to the 'Print-Zip' Noise from 3D printed Pump Grip

Posted by Silly on 10 September 2021 - 04:44 PM in Homemades

This is a very, very interesting system. I might have to explore doing something similar in some of my future designs.

#364660 My solution to the 'Print-Zip' Noise from 3D printed Pump Grip

Posted by Silly on 10 September 2021 - 04:23 PM in Homemades

Darn, people posting on NH a lot lately! I've got to get my printed Crossbow stuff up sometime soon. 

#364656 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by Silly on 12 August 2021 - 08:26 PM in Nerf Wars

All of my Apoc footage is now up on my YT, and timestamped in the desc. https://youtu.be/_zoTitvQPWE

#364654 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by Silly on 08 August 2021 - 07:34 AM in Nerf Wars

The event was fantastic! It was a pleasure meeting a few of you, Id love to go again next year!

#364650 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Silly on 25 June 2021 - 09:30 PM in Modifications

I am currently working (slowly) on a kit with some printed parts in it, but I do not plan to sell it. Just going to chuck it on thingiverse when it's done, and put up links to the places I purchase hardware. 

#364643 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by Silly on 09 June 2021 - 03:53 PM in Nerf Wars

As will I. Quite excited for this to be my first war, one helluva way to start off I suppose. 

#364636 Clarification of differences between Hoppers, RSCBs, Choppers, and BRI

Posted by Silly on 19 May 2021 - 09:43 AM in Homemades

Thank you very much for the clarifications! It has certainly been hard to find the 'earliest' examples of each system, glad I thought to ask here. 

#364634 Clarification of differences between Hoppers, RSCBs, Choppers, and BRI

Posted by Silly on 17 May 2021 - 08:35 PM in Homemades

I am currently starting work on a few semi-basic wiki pages about dart feed systems, and am having trouble understanding the differences and timelines of the Hopper, RSCB, Chopper, and BRISC.

• When was each system invented?
  • Who invented each system?
  • When did each system actually see widespread use? When did it begin to drop off?
  • Differences between each system?
  • What other versions of feed systems were there other than the 4 listed?
  • What kinds of incremental improvements were made to each system over time? By who?
  • etc, etc, etc.

Any and all info about these systems would be greatly appreciated. I figured NH would be the best place to ask in order to get proper information instead of pure speculation on rNerf or on the various Discords. 

#364617 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Silly on 11 December 2020 - 12:08 PM in Modifications

But garbage is garbage. Also lack of funding and materials during a global pandemic and economic recession play a large part in not making anything right now. 

#364614 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Silly on 10 December 2020 - 02:50 PM in Modifications

Haven't make it yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to make sure my homemade internal making skills are good enough before I make any guides. 

#364599 Vintage Nerf Guns

Posted by Silly on 15 August 2020 - 05:59 PM in General Nerf

https://www.reddit.c...tage_nerf_sale/

#364598 Vintage Nerf Guns

Posted by Silly on 13 August 2020 - 01:00 PM in General Nerf

Looks sanded/worn off to me. I actually quite like the look without the flame.

#364596 Vintage Nerf Guns

Posted by Silly on 12 August 2020 - 07:58 PM in General Nerf

With the trading forum here removed (and long dead before that), I would either go to one of the Facebook groups, or r/NerfExchange on Reddit. Or eBay.

If you do post to any of those, please do upload this post with a link, some of these are quite interesting to me.

#364593 Front-Primed 1995 Kenner Crossbow

Posted by Silly on 03 August 2020 - 09:02 PM in Modifications

I am actually separately working on (brainstorming right now) a pump action 95 Crossbow, but it won't be this front-tube design. It will be a standard back-prime with priming bars internal (external if I can't make them fit) that go to a loop around the priming bar at the back. Still brainstorming though.

#364591 Front-Primed 1995 Kenner Crossbow

Posted by Silly on 01 August 2020 - 02:14 PM in Modifications

Nope. Couldn't come up with a backstop other than a foam buffer, but I ran out of foam. So there's just nothing. Hasn't been a problem so far though!

#364589 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Silly on 31 July 2020 - 03:55 PM in Modifications

Front-primed 1995 Kenner Crossbow

Extra internals pics: https://imgur.com/a/PixWTVO

Front Prime Crossbow (1).png

Front Prime Crossbow (2).png

#364588 Front-Primed 1995 Kenner Crossbow

Posted by Silly on 31 July 2020 - 03:51 PM in Modifications

Front Prime Crossbow (1).png

Front Prime Crossbow (2).png

Imgur album here with more internal pictures: https://imgur.com/a/PixWTVO

This is a project I started concept art for in 2019, but never actually started work on until May of this year.

This blaster works via a front-primed plunger tube & plunger, with a bent barrel and sealed end that redirects air to shoot out of the stock 1995 Crossbow's barrel area. I used a widened Kronos catch with a 2nd catch spring, and a lever/linkage bar system to activate the catch. The linkage bar goes back to a polycarb trigger.

This blaster is getting ~150 fps out of an 8 inch CPVC barrel with 2/3 of a [k25].

If (when) I do this mod again, I will most likely use a Rainbow catch to use a [k26], perhaps a wider plunger tube, and probably integrate a brass breech onto the top (maybe with a 3d printed cover/casing/spacer?) instead of just a 1/2in PVC/CPVC coupler.

#364587 Trading

Posted by Silly on 30 June 2020 - 10:16 PM in General Nerf

Its been broken/gone for the past few months, I figure it could be tied to the sign-in issues there were a few months ago.

#364571 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Silly on 06 May 2020 - 12:07 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for making the data clearer! Ill re-annotate it before HONM uses it in any official capacity.

#364569 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Silly on 05 May 2020 - 12:08 PM in General Nerf

I got the data for the chart via the Members tab on the site. Sorted by join date and set the "account created before" to the end of each month. Here is my spreadsheet with all the numbers.

#364567 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Silly on 05 May 2020 - 12:37 AM in General Nerf

Been working on some graphs for HONM stuff, figured that sharing one here contributes to this discussion: https://imgur.com/QNCWjM1

#364563 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Silly on 27 April 2020 - 09:37 PM in General Nerf

1 & 2: NH has fallen from prominence in the recent years, now the largest places for Nerf are r/Nerf on Reddit, various Discord servers, and Facebook groups. Modding blasters is certainly still a thing, and bigger than ever before!

3: Depends on how old you want to get. People like Spoon have been out of the scene for many years now, while people like Daniel Beaver and Slug still mod and post their contest on the aforementioned different sites. 

4: If you want stock parts, check out r/NerfExchange on Reddit, if you want replacement parts, the EAT has been out of limelight for a few years now, but I bet some manufacturers like Orange Mod Works or Worker still have stock laying around in a warehouse. 

If you have or are willing to get Discord, I can PM you my username and we can chat. Would be much easier than posting back and forth with eachother.

Edit: PMs are actually broken on here right now, so ill leave a link to the Discord server I run. We have plenty of older names from the hobby on there, some of which I bet you will know. https://discordapp.com/invite/53ykxVX

#364487 Nerf Vortex Revonix 36-

Posted by Silly on 06 March 2020 - 08:59 PM in General Nerf

Here is a picture of the internals: https://imgur.com/JIB47pK

Reddit post where it came from: https://www.reddit.c...nyways_guys_im/

Someone who has put one together, maybe PM them on Reddit? https://www.reddit.c...l_but_i_did_it/

The Revonix is known to have horrid internals that are quite hard to put back together, so it may be worth while to PM u/Kirk_Stargazed on Reddit.

#364469 Old Nerflister handed bag of nerf guns from parent's house, nostal

Posted by Silly on 19 February 2020 - 08:28 PM in General Nerf

I understand, and have from the start of the project. The Discord is used mainly for communication, while most/all info is put into a Google Drive and Youtube channel, with scheduled updates to the project on r/Nerf and r/HistoryOfNerfModding on Reddit. We also backup the Discord on a regular basis and export it as HTML (Or on request, TXT, JSON, or CSV) files that can be downloaded and opened by anyone without access to the Discord or who want to look back at previous things that happened on the Discord (https://drive.google...2KRqI4q_y81wXFL). The end goal is to have a proper system/site set up, but that is not in the current timeline or cost scale of the project. 

In specific to the old Nerf list data, that is currently under lock and key for the vast majority of people, as those boards were used not only for Nerf, but many other things, such as personal info. The files are also not organized whatsoever and in a non-viewing-friendly format. We (Me and my partner in the project, RylehYachtClub) are going through the files and data, making note of personal data, organizing into a linear time scale, making files easier to read, and talking to people from the time when pertinent issues or info come up. This all takes time and careful consideration for each issue that comes up.

Since the making of this thread, LaFleur (Blakhawk on the Discord now, matching their name from the 90's) has helped us with this goal. We also consult Vaccallica, DanielBGoo, and Spoon with any questions pertinent to the specific person/communication tool (NerfOnline, ListServ, Yahoo Groups, etc).