pinhead52's Content

There have been 182 items by pinhead52 (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#338033 A new app-integrated dart for NERF blasters

Posted by pinhead52 on 04 April 2014 - 11:51 AM in General Nerf

If you have an apple device, slugs will already perform this function. You have to take the felt off, though. It obscures the sensors.

Also, I noticed the rifled darts in the intro of the video. Finally someone with the brains to rifle a Nerf dart. That's a total face palm. I can't believe nobody's tried that before. You probably get a few hundred feet from the triad that way.

Speaking of the triad, I can't help but notice that it wasn't painted flat black, or dry-brushed brass and referred to as "steam punk", are you done modding it yet? Or do I need to fund your kickstarter in order to see that?

Keep up the good work. I shudder to think of what this hobby would become without geniuses like you.

#337349 Pressure Range of Blasters

Posted by pinhead52 on 28 February 2014 - 04:09 PM in General Nerf

I think the most important factor in this discussion is one that nobody is addressing; Nerf is NOT Paintball. Yes, if you can somehow get a blaster to fire 60 darts per second at a possible range of 100 feet, that will make up for accuracy deficiencies, just like paintball, but then we take out the beauty that makes Nerf different. Here you have to make concessions, and ultimately carry multiple blasters. You will likely have one accurate at three digit ranges, but it will take almost a second or more to ready a new dart, and another that can put out 20 or so darts in a matter of seconds within "sidearm range".

Yes, you can use pneumatics and any clip system blaster to make a Nerf system that fires and reloads semi or fully automatically like a paintball marker. It would even be impressive if you did it. Heck, I plan to do it myself. Then I'll put it on the shelf in the spare bedroom next to the singled Titan and anything else that's really cool, but would never be allowed in a real war. If knowing that your amazing blaster wouldn't be allowed on a field and that you'll have to work with basically the same tools as everyone else, despite being able to put way more money into the sport than other people playing frustrates you, then please sell me your blasters and buy a paintball marker. Make sure to tell them all how mean we are too.

Oh, and at it's core this is an idea thread, but I'm now part of the problem, so I'll leave you with this; Build your blaster, then put up pics and videos, THEN ask for help.

#335941 Nerf Rayven Tuneup (~Write up)

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 December 2013 - 06:21 AM in Modifications

Micro controllers are fun, but for an application as simple as this, unnecessary. They already make ICs for cheap for this exact purpose.

writeup

As far as the mod, excellent work. It looks great and it's functional, and even though you did several mods (internals, cosmetics, external electronics) the mod is easy to follow and reproduce.

#335414 NIC Primary

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 November 2013 - 05:35 AM in General Nerf

First of all, let me say that I have never (nor will I probably ever) attend an official NIC war, so my standards are much lower than the pros who will be responding, but I try to stay away from homemades too, but that's venue based. As far as modded blasters, I use a quick 16 as my primary, but I usually use stock ammo at my wars, so that wouldn't exactly be a NIC standard. I think most guys out there use a solid single shot with a hopper, like a BBB, if they aren't using a homemade. Like was said before, the whole "primary/backup" mentality was lost once someone hoppered a +bow, so try to find a modded blaster that comes close to that ideal and use it.

#335379 Nerf Zombie Strike HammerShot Mod Guide

Posted by pinhead52 on 13 November 2013 - 06:32 PM in Modifications

Unless it's different from the snapfire, the AR doesn't align the barrel, that's the roulette mod which serves no purpose but to keep it from automatically aligning, turning the only viable one-handed blaster Hasbro has ever created into an ugly maverick. But hey, it spins!

#334872 Painting

Posted by pinhead52 on 17 October 2013 - 03:30 PM in Modifications

The only thing you can really do is put on multiple clear coats. I do two, and I also leave the maximum drying time between all coats of paint, especially the clear coat. After that, there's not much you can do. I try to plan around keeping any "high wear" areas the stock color, but this isn't always feasible.

#334639 Recasting Suggestion Thread

Posted by pinhead52 on 09 October 2013 - 05:46 PM in Modifications

I wasn't so much talking about the components, as trying to push the conversation towards discontinued shells.

#334633 Recasting Suggestion Thread

Posted by pinhead52 on 09 October 2013 - 05:14 PM in Modifications

I just set aside money for two. If not just for modding, to fund the idea. I don't know that we have anyone readily available to recast products like this, and if you were to get some of the more asked for re-issues from the older years, I know you would have a captive audience. Of course, knowing how the prop community is about recasting, Hasbro might have some issues, but I wouldn't mind dealing with them.

#334230 Mark 8

Posted by pinhead52 on 23 September 2013 - 03:33 PM in Homemades

I would either just put it in General Nerf and PM a mod that it could be a sticky.

By the way, I was joking about you pulling from the competition. Having something this professional this early on will certainly up the ante for future submissions.

#334198 Mark 8

Posted by pinhead52 on 22 September 2013 - 09:30 AM in Homemades

This is a truly amazing writeup. It's clean, easy to follow, professionally done, and most importantly, accessible. Anyone with a basic toolbox and a few bucks can build one or two of these. Even the tools you used to make the writeup (SketchUp) are accessible to everyone. I hope this sets a new precedent for writeup quality on this board. This could be published.

On a side note, I don't think I noticed any mention of this being used for the homemade contest. Did you want to give the rest of us a chance?

#326664 Exclusive pics of new 2013 blasters and new ranges

Posted by pinhead52 on 11 February 2013 - 11:23 AM in General Nerf

Personally, I like the smoothed out shells, since I've always liked airbrush style paint jobs anyway. And while the femininity is massively overdone for most of the people on this forum, we have to remember that Nerf's target audience is much larger than us, and even though our girlfriends and wives wretch at the thought of pink blasters, most girls (apparently, according to Hasbro's market research) don't.

#326314 Hostility?

Posted by pinhead52 on 04 February 2013 - 05:01 PM in Site Feedback

One thing nobody seems to have hit on is the why. Without operator action, internet communities tend toward idiocy and random douchebaggery. This forum isn't a community in the sense that you will post a picture of your new mod and get three pages of "gj, bro!", but instead a community to share information. When you put up something you found or discovered, the only responses that will actually lead to advancement of the sport will be criticism or additional ideas, so those are the responses that are encouraged. As a result, it seems like everyone is mean.

And as far as pissing off the mods, a lot of us do it from time to time, just learn from your mistakes and you'll be fine.

#325747 Exclusive day with Hasbro @London Toy Fair 2013

Posted by pinhead52 on 24 January 2013 - 09:11 PM in General Nerf

I know that they never would actually rerelease most of those guns but, that "tacticool" thing only makes nerf look stupid if you were to compare it to airsoft or paint ball which is why those guns at least would do good, maybe not better, but maybe over time people will realize that they are foam shooting toy blasters not play guns. That's why you see shit on youtube and such about "how to turn my recon into a SVD!" or "alpha trooper m4" and 10 year old cod influenced noobs who will inevitability move on to other things such as paintball or airsoft because, now nerf is supposed to look and be cool not fun which is why hasbro should make what you get in the box more fun when actually used. But, yea lawsuits are one heck of a way not to be able to rerelease a blaster. What I'm getting at is hasbro should stay away from the whole "tacticool" (that's a great term to use!) style like buzz bee and other companies are doing and vary gun internals and functionality instead of doing the same old reverse plunger and recent elite line (though still better than the reverse plunger crap).

1. Nerf shouldn't be compared to Airsoft and Paintball. It's a different game for a different audience. Everyone obsessed with which is "better" or "more realistic" belongs in airsoft and paintball. I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't want to Nerf with people like that.

2. Every hobby, even cosplay props (shut up) include people who want to make things as close to, or even useful as weapons. These people are usually 12-16 year old boys who, as you stated, play too much CoD and too little "Real Life". I don't want them at my wars either.

3. To everyone who says "Hasbro should remake [insert outdated blaster]. That blaster wouldn't make them much money. No matter how cool you think they are, and how many you would buy and mod, most of the Hasbro target audience are 8 year olds. They don't want that blaster, and even if they did, they are expensive to make. For people who haven't studied economics, items sold times price MINUS production cost equals revenue.

Let's bring the topic back to things that are actually going to be coming out.

#312402 Eye Protection Is Key

Posted by pinhead52 on 04 March 2012 - 09:52 AM in General Nerf

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Paintball goggles. They are designed for comfort, long hours of running around, limited peripheral vision obstruction, and the anti-fog lenses are easy to come by.

#311019 How to get idiots to play Nerf?

Posted by pinhead52 on 10 February 2012 - 07:03 PM in General Nerf

Explain to them that the slow projectile speed and overall lack of range turns the matches into completely different games than either paintball or airsoft. For instance, point out that the range, accuracy, and speed of both paintball and airsoft, plus the required eyewear, make it almost impossible to play a zombie scenario with those games.

Speaking of which, tell them if they want to "man up" they would be playing paintball anyway.

This is the essence of what I was going to say. I am in the military and I get coworkers to play Nerf over airsoft or paintball based on this argument alone. Sometimes we just want to throw realism out the window and actually dodge projectiles, instead of tactically hiding. Also the fact that you can be within talking range of someone and know that they can't hit you with what they are carrying. That's not common to any other wargames (except airsoft, but that's not an argument for this thread). Also, let us not forget the big one; no field fees! You can play Nerf in a park in the middle of the day. It's legal and safe, and if you bring enough blasters, you may even get new people in.

Which brings me to my next point. Some people find the hardest part of "recruiting" just getting people to buy and mod their own, which is why I bring at least 8 people's worth of armaments to each war I attend, and more if I host. Sometimes people need a trial run before they are willing to put in time and money. I don't even know how much money or man-hours have been lost to Nerf. We have to understand this when we are looking for new nerfers as well; some people aren't ready for another hobby.

In the end, though, if you explain how much fun it is, you provide "rentals" for free and they still won't Nerf because it's not cool enough, you probably don't want to play with them anyway. That mindset never goes away. Let them get back to whatever MTV is telling them to spend their time on, because that's what makes them happy.

#311016 Homemade Rifle (Longshot-esque)

Posted by pinhead52 on 10 February 2012 - 06:47 PM in Homemades

Very nice work. I would like to also throw in my two cents on the write-up/template begging, though the design actually seems pretty simple (in it's basic form), especially after seeing the monstrosity Hasbro had to build to get the same effect.

I also have to ask, why no pump handle? You said in your first post that it's hard to prime. Is it just too hard to build a pump handle that allows you to get the force you need?

#307078 Alternative Ammo

Posted by pinhead52 on 07 November 2011 - 10:42 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've had this on my mind at work, and I've come to a few conclusions. The first is that they seem to be sturdier ammo than Stefans, and just as reliable as stock micros. Pending some actual tests and numbers, they can at the very least provide us with a standard for blaster quality. As it stands, posted ranges are based on personal trust as well as dart quality, so if we standardized a universal dart of superior quality, we would at least have a "nominal" range for tested blasters.

On the down side, I personally am so afraid of getting into trouble that I don't even use Stefans most times. I Nerf in public buildings or in crowded parks, and I keep my modded blasters even as close to looking stock as possible to prevent from drawing attention. And, since now my choices of venue are all on or close to military bases, most bystanders would recognize something this close to actual ammo, that puts them completely out for me. I think some of the newer members should go out and google some of the bad press that Nerf has gotten over the years before using these in public, but that's just general advice to anyone starting out in the hobby.

I am still very curious to see them compared to other dart types, though. Regardless of if they become the new ammo standard, they are still a refreshing idea. As a man of science I refuse to discount them before a thorough investigation.

#306451 Please Stop the Insanity

Posted by pinhead52 on 24 October 2011 - 10:46 AM in Site Feedback

It doesn't have to be a technical solution. Don't we already make people send an e-mail or something to apply for membership? We could just include a little quiz as part of that; a few questions about the code of conduct, maybe grammar, on the page where you send the message. I think it would work more as a filter if it's something that newcomers would have the ability to skip anyway, that way before they are even an FNG their attention to detail has been tested.

The only downside is that it will mean more time Langley has to spend reading frustratingly poor writing, but he already knows this.

#305430 No Time to Nerf

Posted by pinhead52 on 06 October 2011 - 08:42 AM in Off Topic

Nobody will deny that you are easily one of the greatest innovators the sport has ever seen. You have helped to shape the entire modding and homemade community as we know it, and it goes without saying that you will be missed. Thank you for the +Bow.

#305243 THE TITLE HAS THE WORD 'IDEA' IN ALL CAPS

Posted by pinhead52 on 01 October 2011 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

This is actually very similar to the game I usually play, since it's usually just me providing blasters anyway. You get used to others using your stuff after five or six wars of you showing up with two duffels of modded blasters and twenty people who, if you're lucky, grabbed a Mav at Wal-Mart on the way over. Game types like this are also good for getting new people into Nerf. I do tend to hesitate before throwing my 3B into any community pile, though.

Another suggestion that we've come up with to keep down time to a minimum is having a respawn location, but if you die you have to leave all blasters you have at that spot. It creates more of a "salvage war" feel. If you do it right, you can have pretty much endless fun with a game like this.

#294529 Big Bad Bow Back Half Disassembly

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 February 2011 - 07:13 PM in Modifications

They've been putting adhesive on them lately to keep us from the goodies inside. I use a dremel and cut along the seam of the blaster, but this looks terrible. You could try finding a solvent. I'm pretty sure it's just model glue.

#293774 A Must-have Book For Every Nerfer

Posted by pinhead52 on 02 February 2011 - 10:39 PM in Off Topic

The artist is clearly doing this as a favor to cosplayers. Prop work takes most of the time in the hobby, and now it's just a matter of a pray-paint job, and you too can be Kris Longshot.

#260809 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by pinhead52 on 05 January 2010 - 06:27 PM in General Nerf

Wow, FAMAS much?

It looks like the FAMAS and Aug Hbar had a baby...and gave it a flashlight.

Uh... what? Both those are bul-pups, and this isn't. Also, this has the main feature being that it collapses. Neither of those guns do so, any more than a regular tactical rifle. I need more explanation on your point of view there.

The breech also looks identical to the raider's. Nothing new there either, though it was still the best of the breeches I've seen from Nerf yet.

Aside from that, this is nothing more than a collapsible pump-modded LS. That's cool and everything, but I think everyone here has dramatically mis-interpreted just how cool this is.

Also, from an engineering standpoint, there's no reason to have the battery in it operate the collapsing function, or even help out for that matter. All of the guns like that I've ever seen use a mechanical system, not electrical, since that's cheaper and more reliable. But you know what on that gun does use batteries? The flashlight.

That being said, yes, I will own one of these. It has the best breech so far, comes pump-modded, and has a built in flashlight.

#259942 Trouble Opening A Maverick

Posted by pinhead52 on 28 December 2009 - 03:39 AM in Modifications

It sounds like he's already got the rod removed, so he's just having trouble getting into the barrel itself. This is an issue I still remember having with the first Mav I modded. There are three screws on the front of it, and three on the back. Ignore the ones on the front, you won't need to mess with them, and remove the ones on the back. Then just pull. You should be able to get it with just your hands (assuming you have the upper body strength of a scrawny computer nerd). It will separate just past the part that is supposed to look like gears. Good luck.

#259358 Interesting Way To Cut Foam

Posted by pinhead52 on 19 December 2009 - 11:37 AM in Homemades

I used to have a toy version of what he has, and it really does just slice through foam. I'd never thought of it in terms of nerf until now, though. I might whip one of these up in the next few months.

#259306 Soda Bottle Nerf Gun

Posted by pinhead52 on 18 December 2009 - 12:44 PM in Homemades

Let's not forget that the same two liter bottles have been used in middle schools to make sweet pressurized rockets. Since PVC pipe is used for water, and even then rarely pressurized (actually if you do a quick search you will find that the US government has recently issued a warning that other types of piping should always be used in the case of pressurized gases), whereas the soda bottle is designed for just that, I would feel safe building one. I still would put some kind of housing around the tank, though. I don't like putting anything pressurized next to my body. It's one of my four disqualifying adjectives; Hot, sharp, fast moving, highly pressurized.

#257614 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by pinhead52 on 30 November 2009 - 01:54 AM in Nerf Wars

Correction to my RSVP; I can only make it on the 12th, and will be bringing only 1 other person. I'd also prefer Topeka, but can probably make it to Olathe.

#257448 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by pinhead52 on 28 November 2009 - 01:15 PM in Nerf Wars

12 or 13th then? I need to know as soon as possible which one (I work weekends). Topeka is best for me. I might have one to five people with me.

#254703 Nerf N-strike Longstrike Cs-6 - Preview!

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 02:38 PM in General Nerf

It's just a LS re-shelled to look more like a loser (specifically the Dragunov) than a carbine. I have a few friends who will probably love it. I would also expect that it's got a raider-like breech. I've worked with all the LS re-shells and the Raider seemed to have the only one that actually made it easy to clear a jam.

#254684 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 11:56 AM in General Nerf

Changed my post since you were the first response. I don't want this to become a flame-war, I just wanted the truth. Also, I didn't "phish", the link to your myspace was in your NH profile. Aside from that, I agree with what you're doing, and here's my argument for your side;

Nerf is about fun. Nobody will deny this. The person who goes to a NIC function with nothing but winning in mind can ruin the whole event. That being said, for some people, squad style tactics are fun. And, like I said, they build teamwork and trust. With my Nerf team (all of whom lurk here, but only I post), we use SEAL tactics with a specialized four-man team. We wear BDUs for uniformity and for stability of attire, but we wear black BDUs on account of the rarely seen jungle environment of NERF (and the blazin-orange tips tend to give you away in a stealth situation).

But we will very often ignore what a trained soldier would call "protocol" to do something awesome. We call one of these moves a "Max Payne". My favorite is running straight at enemies during an indoor war, and right when I get inside their range (usually 20-30 ft for Nerf Guns) I drop to a slide on my knees. The idea here is that they fire over me and I tag them as I slide to a stop. It's always awesome, and even sometimes works.

Something in here is what you were going for, right?

#254678 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 10:29 AM in General Nerf

First of all I want to say that I see where Messiah is going with this. I like using military tactics in Nerf, even though nine times out of ten we end up standing 30 feet from each other trading volleys until someone finally hits. Squad tactics are fun, and build trust. Also my group of friends has been training in squad tactics since we were in middle-school, and you'd be surprised how hard it is to teach most people to bound.

#87801 Longshot Sight

Posted by pinhead52 on 19 August 2006 - 12:17 AM in General Nerf

I want to see the scope on the scout. I'd do it, but I don't have a scout.

#87800 Bikes!

Posted by pinhead52 on 19 August 2006 - 12:09 AM in Off Topic

I was hoping someone would include the Trek group. I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar 4+. It's an adjustable full suspension MTB. Fairly awesome (a graduation present from my uncle).

#85276 Iblaster

Posted by pinhead52 on 18 July 2006 - 01:15 PM in General Nerf

Awesome. Made me want to buy one.

#84724 Longshot Is Even Cooler

Posted by pinhead52 on 11 July 2006 - 01:19 AM in General Nerf

The plus side; it's stefan compatible. The downside; the plunger size. I don't know about you guys, but I can guess by the ranges and by the pictures (the bolt moves what, two and a half inches?) that this thing probably has the same internals as the Sawtooth... it's probably actually just an upgrade to the Sawtooth. I say we have restrictor removal and spring replacement, lending maybe 50 ft good range. It's not going to be too useful, and definitely not worthy of that bipod, but like all other worthless N-Strike guns, awesome looking. And that works for me.

#83730 Possible Mavrick Mods?

Posted by pinhead52 on 24 June 2006 - 01:22 PM in Modifications

He didn't really touch on this, but if you look at how the Mav is put together, you can't lengthen the barrels. If you did, they wouldn't fit into the gun, and if you took off the front of the gun, the cylinder wouldn't have any support. It basically breaks down into this; If you come up with something nobody's done...

1. ...It can't be done. I'm sorry, but Nerf guns have pretty limited abilities, so your amazing ideas probably won't work. I don't want to be a spoil-sport, but I too had to learn that reality is where your dreams go to die.

2. ...Do it. If it works, then tell us about it. There's only a few people on here who have built up the credibility that they can get by on giving just an idea... and they wouldn't do that. Partially because it's a bad example, and partially because their ideas are worth their weight in gold, and they don't want other people to beat them to it.

3. ...Go to NHQ.

But, the Mav is the popular guns among newcomers (it's why I joined up), so everything that can be done to it pretty much has.

#83320 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 June 2006 - 06:37 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

Basic mod, masic texture painting. Didn't seal the paint until after it started rubbing off. Oh well, better luck next time.

Posted Image

My BBB with a telescoping barrel, as explained in CXWQ's barrel replacement article.

#83319 Bbb Telescoping Barrel

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 June 2006 - 06:32 PM in Modifications

This barrel design is by cxwq from this article. The basic idea is one size too small of brass for the first 2", then the right size for 6" (I added 2 inches because I have narrow darts), then one too big for the last 2". All of that, inside 1/2" SCH40 PVC to look cooler. So, on with the pictures then. This has been a project for a while for me, because I had to find the right brass, and my supplier wasn't carrying the size I needed for months, just the sizes around it mistakenly labeled.

Internals are more or less unmodded. Once I took the original barrel off the restrictor came with it.

Posted Image

Here's the three sizes of brass and the pvc in order of smallest to largest. I had to cut the middle of the biggest brass because I didn't have enough (or $2.50 to go get more. Welcome to college.).

Posted Image

Here's the brass all together... I guess for those of you who didn't understand what I had to do to the biggest brass to get it to cover the front and back.

Posted Image

Completed gun, breech off.

Posted Image

Breech on, cocked. Ain't she a beaute? I'll have ranges actual ranges soon, but right now looks like 75 ft accurate range, and I might be able to hit 100 at an angle with no accuracy at all.

#82594 Nintendo's Lastest System

Posted by pinhead52 on 01 June 2006 - 03:34 AM in Off Topic

First of all, let me say that I'm calling it Wii, because it's more fun, and that I'm getting one because I'm a gamer.

Now, on to the argument of which next-gen console will be best. First, we have to look at the current-gen (what was this generation called again?) The Gamecube is fun, with simple controls. It's games usually make better party games, and are fun for all ages. The PS2 tended towards RPGs, and the XBox is the FPS system. Of course there are exceptions to each rule. Now look at them modded. A Gamecube modded is worthless, a PS2 modded connects to the internet, and an XBox modded allows for you to play any game, from any system, with anyone in the world. Ask me details and I'll explain, but the modded box in my living room fulfills all of my gaming needs.

Unfortunately the 360 is too expensive for me, and Halo 3 isn't even out yet (honestly I don't know why Microsoft even bothers trying to make other games). I haven't read enough about the PS3 to make judgement yet, but it's going to be ridiculously expensive too. The Wii is a blatant rip-off of the PS2, but it's going to be cheap (relatively) and probably start out with the most fun launch-titles. As far as the new controller, yeah, it has the capabilities to revolutionize gaming. There will be all kinds of attachments you can add to it, but twenty bucks says most people don't even bother, and will just use it as a wireless controller where your hands aren't bound together. Remember the N64? Does anyone even remember a good game that used all of that controller? Or even the left part of it? I don't.

Rant over.

#79368 Automobile Thread

Posted by pinhead52 on 09 April 2006 - 09:38 PM in Off Topic

My car is an '85 Mercury Grand Marquise. It has the original engine in it, so it leaks everything. I would call it obso1337. But I do have an awesome bike. It's a '94 model Gary Fisher Sugar 4+. No mods yet, but that's because I love it as it is. And because I can't afford anything.