Phil's Content

There have been 23 items by Phil (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#347637 [CT] NENO 13 July 18 Now Recapping.

Posted by Phil on 03 July 2015 - 06:58 PM in Nerf Wars

i'll try to make it. is there anyone in my area that's willing to car pool to ease the cost of automobile?

#347548 Philly Area Help Koree Test a New Field War July 25th

Posted by Phil on 30 June 2015 - 10:06 AM in Nerf Wars

i'll try to be there w/ my fiance

#347535 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by Phil on 29 June 2015 - 07:35 PM in Nerf Wars

How can you even think that this is an appropriate comparison, let alone venue? This is nerf, not firearms.

because nerf blasters emulate real guns, how a nerf stryfe/rapid strike functions is too similar to real firearms. they're fun toys, but its delusional to think that they're not emulations of real firearms. it's not really something that's worth arguing over because we all have our opinions regarding the matter.

#347532 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by Phil on 29 June 2015 - 06:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Wait until you're reloading magazines for 90% of the war instead of actually nerfing, then you'll really regret using a flywheel blaster.

Sure, you can bring stock/modified blasters, blowguns, or other gimmicky/shitty dart firing blasters to Apoc but it doesn't mean that you should. The truth about large wars like Apoc is simple: if you're not using a hoppered homemade, or similar performance blaster, you definitely won't be able to compete, and by direct correlation, you won't have much fun.

it cant be as bad as reloading an ak-47 on the run

#347520 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by Phil on 29 June 2015 - 03:41 PM in Nerf Wars

im not arguing with you, and i do take your advice with high regard considering i've never been to one. i'm just a bit upset at the amount of money i spent on fly wheel blasters all for you to say, nay, they're fruitless

#347516 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by Phil on 29 June 2015 - 03:04 PM in Nerf Wars

you guys make it sound like i can't get within 25 yards of my targets without getting wrecked? so are we having 50-75 yard engagements?

#347456 SLUGS AND MAGNETS

Posted by Phil on 26 June 2015 - 03:24 PM in Modifications

the electromagnetic accelerator would only be on a split second, i dont think that'll jam up the magazine feed

#347453 SLUGS AND MAGNETS

Posted by Phil on 26 June 2015 - 03:03 PM in Modifications

So my other flywheel thread was locked for some reason and I was going to post this there, but I'll make a complete new thread for this. Since people are running slugs, instead of using fly wheels, why not a electromagnetic accelerator? use the metal inside the slug to accelerate the nerf slug...

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

IDEA THREAD. IF IT'S SUCH A GREAT IDEA, BUILD IT YOURSELF.

#347448 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by Phil on 26 June 2015 - 07:44 AM in Nerf Wars

i never been to an apoc, but im getting the feeling alot of people are going to be running air pump nerf guns. idk, i think if i can get within 50ft of another person, i can tag them. i have my fiance to provide suppressing fire while i can flank who ever is shooting. but i could be wrong

can you make a slug out of an elite dart>

#347416 New York hvz?

Posted by Phil on 24 June 2015 - 03:26 PM in Nerf Wars

you can zombie crash it, most mods dont check ID's just slip in and dont stand out

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST
THE LAST POST WAS IN 2011, DUDE. CHECK THE DATE.

#347414 Apocalypse 2015 - Recapping on page 5

Posted by Phil on 24 June 2015 - 03:23 PM in Nerf Wars

What kind of darts do you need? I can spare like 100-200 maybe.

#347338 flywheel idea

Posted by Phil on 22 June 2015 - 07:27 AM in Modifications

i think this weapon system is only viable as a deploy-able with a 3-4' tripod. you also have to consider the powers supply for all those fly wheel, it's gonna be heavy.

#347247 flywheel idea

Posted by Phil on 17 June 2015 - 06:42 AM in Modifications

I would have suggested Mabuchi FK-180SH-3240, but the supply dried up a few months back. Blade 180s (which are basically the same thing but more expensive) or Xtreme Pro 180s are still available.

The Blade 180 part numbers are:
EFLH1210 or
EFLH1211 or
EFLH1210B or
EFLH1211B
Just do a google and/or ebay search for "Blade 180 motor" and/or one of those part numbers.

There are some 130 size motors that supposedly offer good performance: the "Falcon" 130 and also "Meishel's" motors, but I'm not sure how they will work in this particular setup.

Falcons: http://www.aliexpres...1949808946.html

Meishel's: http://www.ebay.com/...oy/221639931485

Since you need higher RPM I guess that the Falcons would be better between those two.

Edit: Actually just watch this video by Foamdata. Goes over pretty much all the current options.

http://www.horizonho...x-2-3-eflh1211b

wouldn't this model be a problem? it has the teeth, and it seems like the metal pole that's sticking out of the motor, connecting to the teeth is larger than the hole of the diameter of the spin wheel?

#347232 flywheel idea

Posted by Phil on 16 June 2015 - 03:17 PM in Modifications

To get your desired fps, size up the flywheels by a centimeter or two, this will greatly increase the speed at which the edge of the flywheels is spinning, thus giving greater dart fps. You'll need to find some relatively high-torque, high-rpm motors. Look into 180 sized motors instead of 130.

can you provide the links to the suggested models?

#347225 flywheel idea

Posted by Phil on 16 June 2015 - 06:47 AM in Modifications

Your post is a little confusing, but here's some info.

1. You don't really need (much of) a barrel on a flywheel blaster.

2. If you want a long barrel for aesthetics, you could just make one that's a very large diameter to minimize the amount of drag it has on the dart. However, there is still the possibility that the dart could hit the wall and thus it could still decrease your average FPS.

3. A single set of flywheels is going to max out at around 110-120FPS no matter how many volts you put into the motors. In order to have a flywheel gun shoot 250FPS, you would need several stages of flywheels that continue to accelerate the dart as it goes down the "barrel." I'm pretty sure no one has ever done more than a two stage/four motor flywheel system (often referred to as an "afterburner"), but according to physics models you would need about a 5-stage flywheel system to reach 250fps. See the table in this blog post. A person better educated in motor electronics than I could tell you the battery requirements for all of that.

Ironically, a 5 stage flywheel system would probably necessitate that long cosmetic barrel that you wanted in the first place.

Per the previously linked blog post: "A completely homemade system with 10 flywheel pairs, a generous 0.25 inch gap between flywheels, and flywheels that are 1.25 inches in diameter would be less than 15 inches long, and could fling stock Nerf darts at about 350 fps if my calculations are accurate."

i dont think standard darts will reach those speeds, unless you add weight to them if im not mistaken?

#347208 flywheel idea

Posted by Phil on 15 June 2015 - 03:35 PM in Modifications

So I'm in the process of making a home made nerf HMG, and I wanted a longer barrel, but yet have the same, or greater distance in FPS of the dart. I also came to realize that longer barrels would decrease the muzzle velocity of the dart. But what if you made one without a barrel at all? Would it work if you lined one one fly wheel to the next? I mean you would have the illusion of a barrel, you could design a LEWIS gun, or a MAXIM machine gun type of barrel, but they would just be fly wheels.

And if they were all flywheels how many volts would you have to run to achieve 200-250fps?

Warm regards,

Phil

#347180 NEW MEMBER in Long Island NY

Posted by Phil on 13 June 2015 - 06:37 PM in General Nerf

Oh, and swing by Michael's for some craft foam to pad the plunger-head

can someone show me a picture ?

#347160 The Unofficial Koosh vs. Voberry Thread

Posted by Phil on 12 June 2015 - 12:36 PM in Darts and Barrels

Yeah, we are not going to do this. Also, increasing the mass lowers the muzzle velocity. Most of us are perfectly happy with the performance of Slugs or silicone domes.

Not even close. Most blasters we play with are pushing somewhere between 50fps and 200fps, and the darts only weigh about 1g.

I don't know where you are going with this, it does not seem to be related.

Well, you're way off track here, and it illustrates how little you have dealt with dart ballistics. There is no possible way that this scenario will play out. Darts travel so slowly that you can dodge damn near anything at 80 feet. To hit someone at 100 feet is pure fucking luck. Whomever told you that was communicating via their posterior ventilation duct. Raising normal darts up to higher speeds requires less for for longer duration, which makes blasters uncomfortably bulky. Nobody wants to play with that. Applying large forces for short duration destroys darts. Stock darts explode. Homemade darts squib or shred.

so it's just over worrying, then no problems

#347156 The Unofficial Koosh vs. Voberry Thread

Posted by Phil on 12 June 2015 - 07:34 AM in Darts and Barrels

The problem with adding fin or "ridge" stabilization to the dart heads is that darts are naturally drag stabilized already. If you add an additional drag force vector to the front, it will probably cause tumbling. It would certainly be worth a try, but may also be difficult to implement. Fins work great on rockets and missiles, but micro darts are a little too small. All of these methods would be time consuming, and just are not worth the effort.

well the problem with tumbling rounds is the actual weight of the round it self? for example, when you're loading and casting your own ammunition for 7.62x39... you can't just cast your round with say.. zinc, because that metal is just too light, so you would have a steel core, or copper core for the weight and then a zinc coating. the same concept for standard FMJ surplus rounds, steel core, cooper coating. so wouldn't we be able to apply that to this? you increase the FPS and distance traveled by putting a steel core in the round, supplemented with grooves?

i mean at this point you ruin the concept of nerf, nerf is just a child's toy essentially, and you're giving the range of a real combat rifle. if you really think about it, when i'm out at the range, or training with an WASR-10, or a SKS, my targets are only at 50 yards, the most i'll engage out to is 100 yards. @ 100 yards, the target is only a spec with iron sights, and even with my scope, you're not getting defining detail. but it kind of bothers me to see that people are trying to get more and more distance with their rounds on nerfhaven, but yet there's a underlining negative feelings towards milism, or whatever. adding distance to a nerf dart may seem non-milism, but you're trying to get the same performance out of something like my sks, or ak-47, when you should be just running and gunning... I mean when do you stop and say, it's too much? i've been told that at nerf apoc, minimum engagement ranges will be @ 80ft, but god knows how far some nerf blasters can shoot, especially home made with home made nerf darts. so if i'm being engaged at 100 yards in nerf, i might as well just stick to the real guns?

#347140 The Unofficial Koosh vs. Voberry Thread

Posted by Phil on 11 June 2015 - 01:39 PM in Darts and Barrels

why not create a soft foam dart that has grooves that replicate rifling, but also have the dart balanced perfect for flight?

you guys might also want to research how the DOD stabilizes weapon systems

IE: stabilizing fins, SABOT rounds, etc.

#347105 NEW MEMBER in Long Island NY

Posted by Phil on 10 June 2015 - 11:28 AM in General Nerf

Hey guys!

My name's Phil, I just joined and I'm from NY, LI!

We don't usually do introduction threads for new guys, there would just be too many of them. I'm going to let this one fly assuming you're looking for other people on Long Island. Please read the New Members Guide before posting again, thanks! - the Moderation Staff

#347101 Frozen Foam Long Islang Nerf War

Posted by Phil on 10 June 2015 - 07:43 AM in Nerf Wars

When is the next game, I'd like to join!

#347100 Apocalypse 2015 - Recapping on page 5

Posted by Phil on 10 June 2015 - 07:37 AM in Nerf Wars

Would I be able to wear my steel pot helmet? It's a vietnam era steel helmet, but I use it because when a nerf dart hits it, it makes a ping sound that makes it easier for me to hear.

I also have a nerf magazine chest rig (makes it easier for me to run around with clips) will that be okay too?

Warm regards,

Phil