Gin's Content

There have been 63 items by Gin (Search limited from 08-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#352503 MN Spring 2016 Nerf War

Posted by Gin on 29 March 2016 - 02:55 PM in Nerf Wars

About 5 and a half hours give or take

#352497 MN Spring 2016 Nerf War

Posted by Gin on 29 March 2016 - 01:06 PM in Nerf Wars

My group and I will come so expect 2-3 of us from WI, Everything permitting.

#347964 TV- and movie-star Nerf blasters

Posted by Gin on 21 July 2015 - 06:53 AM in Off Topic

So, I was watching Defiance the other night, when who should appear in a surprise cameo?
She looks pretty hot with a bit of make-up slapped on :D

Anyone else got any images of Nerf blasters turning up on screens, big or small? Post them here so we can all exchange knowing winks and have a bit of an inside-joke chuckle.

I was laughing like hell when I saw this too.... also on the Disney show Aaron Stone a reflex showed up with a sexy pink paint job. actually kinda miss that show... it was kinda sweet if I am remembering it correctly....The character Tamara used it. can't seem to find a picture with it in it otherwise I would post it XD

#347408 Cycloneshock Barrel extension and reinforcement guide

Posted by Gin on 24 June 2015 - 07:28 AM in Modifications

Hehehe So you tried it huh? And I see it worked pretty well too.

#347269 2015 Nerf Wars Schedule

Posted by Gin on 18 June 2015 - 07:17 AM in Nerf Wars

Month of Event:June
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25889&st=0&p=345567&fromsearch=1&#entry345567-url]27th-30th [WI] No More Room In Hell I[/url]

Have to cancel due to work. Sorry to those who wanted to come, but I was told I would have off for the week of, Now i have been told I have to come in those days.

#346977 Attention Wisconsin and Upper Illinois Nerfers

Posted by Gin on 29 May 2015 - 08:26 AM in General Nerf

the owner (I'm assuming it'd be you) would be essentially screwed.

Actually due to my insurance I can't own land otherwise they think I'm better off than I really am. Its a pain. I was planing on working out a deal with my Step-dad so he would be the "owner" on paper. Same sentiment though.

#346959 Attention Wisconsin and Upper Illinois Nerfers

Posted by Gin on 28 May 2015 - 07:35 AM in General Nerf

So I am sure most of us have heard of Thunderdome by now. I was think while it is an awesome idea, having an arena in your back yard is a little bit cramped. I propose buying 2.5 Acres of land slightly south of Green Bay to create our own Thunderdome. I would like to have it within range of the Chicago nerfers as I have heard their wars are often cut short. Its a large project but if enough of us go in on this we could make it a reality. Ownership would belong to the community, not just 1 or 2 people. At this point I just want to get feedback on the idea. I figure it would give us a safe place to nerf and if done well could draw more people to our beloved hobby. Post your thoughts below and think about if you would be willing to help set this up. I would buy the whole thing if I could but I work at a factory and get minimum wage so it would take decades for me to buy the land let alone build the arena. Pardon me rambling, I tend to do so when I like an idea :P

#346946 Accuracy mods

Posted by Gin on 27 May 2015 - 07:58 AM in Modifications

Although it is possible to improve accuracy, Measuring how much the accuracy is improved is quite difficult as the human mind tends to want to believe that it is working.... like doom said about the "SCAR" barrel (fishing line) its really more of a Placebo.... But between being hard to measure accuracy and wanting it to be successful many "see" results using it. In reality all its doing is slowing the dart down.

#346945 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 27 May 2015 - 07:47 AM in Nerf Wars

and also do you have to be a certain age?

16 and up and no you do not need a tent

#346872 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 22 May 2015 - 06:52 AM in Nerf Wars

i Will be coming and im bringing a friend but can the war at least be in marinette?

It will either be in Marinette or slightly out of town towards porterfield

#346768 2015 Mod Contest

Posted by Gin on 15 May 2015 - 08:04 AM in News

You can submit more than one entry, but we will only be counting one entry per person towards unlocking the additional prizes. You can use OMW kits if they are still readily available and in-stock, but if you are just installing OMW kits that isn't going to earn many points for originality.

Thank you Langley. That makes 1 of my projects a definite entry.

#346764 2015 Mod Contest

Posted by Gin on 15 May 2015 - 07:18 AM in News

Well I am certainly entering, But a few questions on the rules. First, can we submit more than one writeup into the contest? Second, are kits/parts from companies like Orange Mod Works allowed as part of your mod?

#346726 2015 Nerf Wars Schedule

Posted by Gin on 14 May 2015 - 07:49 AM in Nerf Wars

Month of Event:June
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25889&st=0&p=345567&fromsearch=1&#entry345567-url]27th-30th [WI] No More Room In Hell I[/url]

#346696 Wisconsin HVZ From Hell

Posted by Gin on 12 May 2015 - 07:10 AM in Nerf Wars

ok i will be coming but what are the age rquirements like as in 10-18 or 12-20?

see the new thread this one is closed as the differences in plans changed vastly

#346622 Pump-action +bow Write-up

Posted by Gin on 08 May 2015 - 07:27 AM in Homemades

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Don't post in an old thread unless you have something to add.

#346358 Cycloneshock barrel extension

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 08:38 AM in Modifications

I was thinking more a miter box and a hacksaw. You could even use just a sheet of sandpaper nailed to a flat piece of whatever and run the cut turret along the sandpaper to smooth out the area or correct any minor imperfections. Or if you know anyone with a circular saw that should work too. Just don't lop off any fingers on accident.

If you really want to use a dremel though you can buy a dremel stand, attach the cutting wheel, and mark where you want on the turret and slowly turn the turret while the cutting wheel is doing its work. If you're not really careful though the lateral force might end up snapping the cutting wheel though, so I'd recommend a reinforced cutting wheel for that particular use. But again, a hacksaw or circular saw would probably make this much easier.

I think I have a hacksaw in my garage... somewhere XD after I finish a few more of my projects that are cluttering my workbench and have some spare funds I think I will have to give this a shot

#346356 Cycloneshock barrel extension

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 08:26 AM in Modifications

I don't think there's a real need for concern. Making two cuts like half an inch from the front and back would remove the vast majority of the turret weight, while still keeping the back and front plates functional. The center post is literally a part of the orange part, so I don't think accidentally cutting it off will be of concern. The only problem is doing so might make it look a bit... messy. More importantly if you want a more cosmetic look to it you'd want to cut off everything but the minimum amount of front plate possible. The problem with that ends up being stabilizing the plate to make sure the center post is still centered, but the pvc should help with that, provided you make the appropriate measurements and can make accurate enough cuts.

see for me thats the problem... I am still getting used to my dremal and my cuts tend to be very sloppy requiring either clean up after words or a new part all together.

#346353 Cycloneshock barrel extension

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 08:16 AM in Modifications

That is pretty ingenious; I didn't even think about that. Removal of the main body of the turret, the barrels themselves help keep the turret plates stable, and it would reduce the weight considerably. I've never taken apart the turret though, it's possible that it is glued together as I see no signs of screws. I unfortunately don't have a heat gun, and previous attempts to use a hair dryer were not even close to successful. To note, you have to keep the top plate though, as the center post is only attached to the front plate, and that part is kind of essential. You could still cut two lengths of pvc to make it fit though, before and after the plate, and it would serve to not only help stabilize the plate but also look pretty nice. I'm not sure of the actual net gain or loss of weight though, as I'd have to weight the turret, which would involve cutting the necessary lengths of pvc and then weighing the turret vs the pvc plus plates. Given I don't have a good way of removing the plates, I'd have to ask someone else to undertake that particular venture.

I'm not known as an amateur engineer for nothing lol. I would say try cutting but you would be more or less flying blind while doing so, making it a rather risky idea. I would try it but I do not a heat gun either, and I have yet to try the boiling technique so I would prefer not to risk my only cycloneshock on this. I may have to go buy another one just for the sake of trying this out .

#346351 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 08:01 AM in Nerf Wars

looks like I won't be able to come after all.... I really need to get my own car so I can go to wars like this.

#346350 Boltloser: the Blaster

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 07:34 AM in Modifications

I dunno, at this stage I will probably be doing more of my original stuff as an archive of sorts. Last year I cranked out a few wickedly original mods and I have to spend a bit of time getting them up. Clean Cut is a cosmetic mod that I don't really consider original. That and I don't have buttloads of photos for it.

true it is only cosmetic... probably the best looking shell intergration I have ever seen though. well I for one look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeves.

#346349 Cycloneshock barrel extension

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 07:27 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

The answer to your question is yes. It also I think would look awesome. However, the turret at this point is very weighty; I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be adding all that pvc as well. I think the IDEAL solution would be to use a lighter barrel material (like PETG), with 17/32 nested in the back, and then use the PVC. I believe that should lower the weight, although I don't have any PETG to actually do weight measurements so I'm operating under the assumption that it's lighter.

Also Langley, all the current mods center around brass breeches for clip systems and flywheels. I'm not a fan of clip systems and I haven't dipped into the flywheel arena. I'm really glad to see nerf producing some good old springers (rotofury, cycloneshock, the jolt iterations, the hammershot, and even that crazy flipfury. I'm excited to start working on some (or all) of them. I know that currently homemades with hoppers is all the rage right now, but to me nothing beats the feel of the blasters you can buy in a store. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. You can't hide that crossbow forever.

~ompa

one option would be to cut down on the stock turret to reduce weight, all you really need are the front and back plates and by removing the plastic in between you can reduce the weight and if you wanted use the top plate to help space the barrels right at the front. by doing this you would also be able to sheath the brass in pvc all the way along and have the whole blaster look very professional.

#346347 Brass barrel help

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 06:52 AM in Darts and Barrels

Don't bother with brass, that is silly and ridiculously expensive. Most 1" Sch 40 PVC has a good inside diameter for Mongos.

what about the friction though? I mean I will probably go with the pvc as you have helped me quite a bit in the past so I trust you when it comes to these things, just wondering what the difference is?

#346346 Boltloser: the Blaster

Posted by Gin on 21 April 2015 - 06:45 AM in Modifications

The epoxy putty I use is Selley's Knead-it hard-curing epoxy putty. It's structurally beautiful. I've been using this blaster for 6 months now and haven't had a single issue with the putty yet, as it cures rock-solid.

Being the NH noob I am, I will admit I wasn't aware of the filter. I am amused by it, though, won't bother trying to correct it. Forces of nature are best left un-trifled with.

when I discovered the filter I got a kick out of it too. so are you planing on posting "cleancut" on here? I believe it was you who made, but I watched those loadout vids awhile ago so memory is a little fuzzy.

#346274 Brass barrel help

Posted by Gin on 18 April 2015 - 01:29 PM in Darts and Barrels

Mongo darts are 3/4 inch right? i would be surprised if you can find brass that big. In any case, calculate the total volume of the barrel you would use for micros and cut your mongo barrel to a length that will have the same value as the micro one. Of course, it all comes down to testing and trial and error.

1 inch and thank you for the help. I have a place selling 1" brass around here but they need to order more as all they have right now are 20 foot chunks and they will not cut them down lol. so they said if I let them know how long I need it they will order that length for me.

now I just need to figure out the value for micro >.< ah well you still made things much easier for me lol.

#346259 Brass barrel help

Posted by Gin on 17 April 2015 - 10:24 PM in Darts and Barrels

how long does my brass need to be to maximize preformance with mongo darts from an airblaster? I don't know if I am just incompetent in searches or what but i can't find what length I will need

#346230 Exhaust Valve Homemade (Current: Bladder Tests)

Posted by Gin on 16 April 2015 - 09:07 PM in Homemades

I think I will have to keep an eye on this project of yours Nine.... might yield a solution for a rifle I am making as a little show off project XD

#346206 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by Gin on 16 April 2015 - 08:40 AM in Nerf Wars

Naturally. I'm talking with some of the Chicago and Wisconsin folks about coming.

Also: SPANO will be in late June, and has traditionally been the major MN war of the year. If you can only come to one war, that would probably be the better choice.

Well depending on the exact date of SPANO I will see about going but for the end of June I have No More Room In Hell to go to/organize

#346204 any HvZ in Illinois?

Posted by Gin on 16 April 2015 - 07:40 AM in Nerf Wars

I have looked around and have not had success in finding very many HvZ events in Illinois. If anyone knows any good locations or events, I'm all ears.

If you don't mind going a state over I am organizing a Wisconsin Nerf Festival which includes a HvZ event during the nights. No More Room In Hell

#346195 The TitanTurion

Posted by Gin on 15 April 2015 - 08:09 PM in Modifications

eh just one of robs subscribers.... tends to have the news quicker than other channels lol

EDIT: and I think I speak on behalf of most of NH saying this, always nice to get a skilled contributor.

#346168 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by Gin on 14 April 2015 - 03:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Are you accepting Travelers? If so put me as a maybe. (have to work out how I will be getting there)

#346166 The TitanTurion

Posted by Gin on 14 April 2015 - 03:40 PM in Modifications

hmmmm this looks so familiar i can't figure out why....... same real rifle scope.... same name for the blaster.... same country..... same volt meter..... same mini compressor.... are you Liam perhaps?
EDIT: nevermind answered my own question, didn't see the youtube link... say hi to rob and mutzy for me.

#346065 Super loud flywheels

Posted by Gin on 09 April 2015 - 07:51 AM in Modifications

I actually have a can of liquid sound deadener waiting for me to finish the WIP Demolisher. I shall be conducting before and after noise testing, and will be posting the results.

I'll have to be on the lookout for that as I had been toying with the idea myself. I have some foam seat cushions you can buy from walmart in the craft department I was planing on using to make a hitman-esque rifle in a brief case, might use the scraps to see how well that works as well. I believe it is polyurethane but I can not say for sure.

EDIT: stuff was pretty cheap too if I remember correctly

#345906 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by Gin on 30 March 2015 - 07:55 AM in Darts and Barrels

This feature of NerfHaven is on indefinite hold. I do not have time to contribute.

I have not heard of internal fletching and can not find anything on the subject in a quick Google search. Let me know when you find something from the episode of the show you are talking about. I'll take a closer look if I have the time.

Thanks Doom I will

#345753 OMW Rampage kit??

Posted by Gin on 23 March 2015 - 11:35 AM in Modifications

I have this kit and it is installed in my "belle" and I find it performs wonderfully, and as far as the white plunger cap I got mine to fit fine. It may not give as high of performance as some might want but it is worth the money in my opinion..... Plus that metal trigger though!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: yes, I name my blasters.... got a problem with that?

#345687 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 20 March 2015 - 06:52 AM in Nerf Wars

I think anything more than a three day event is reaching too far. Friday- Sunday is probably the only real option if you insist on keeping this a multiday thing. No offense but this community isn't that large to support something of the scale you are talking, like I'm pretty happy to have 10 people for Wisconsin nerf on a Saturday.

also I was wondering if you want to come and bring some of the community near you? I think I will be cutting it down in size to Saturday-Tuesday with Tuesday being some sort of Grand Finale (no idea what I'll do for it but I want to make it awesome lol) If you know any of the Milwaukee area nerfers as well see if they are interested.

#345686 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 20 March 2015 - 06:44 AM in Nerf Wars

When do I get to sleep?

Well up here sun rise is at around 5:30 am so we head to wherever we are staying and sleep the NIC style wars happen in the afternoon so as to give those who want to play in the hvz and NIC wars a chance to catch some shut eye

#345685 Electronic BrakingI

Posted by Gin on 20 March 2015 - 06:38 AM in Modifications

J0D0CAST on youtube did motor braking in his rapidstrike Ak-47 build and he shows the electronics diagram. Hope this helps!

#345587 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 16 March 2015 - 04:34 PM in Nerf Wars

I think anything more than a three day event is reaching too far. Friday- Sunday is probably the only real option if you insist on keeping this a multiday thing. No offense but this community isn't that large to support something of the scale you are talking, like I'm pretty happy to have 10 people for Wisconsin nerf on a Saturday.

Yeah I had thought about that but i already have a good twenty people here in town who are for sures and this is meant to be a multistate event. but like you said as well it is rather large for our area XD. This is what I plan on the event being eventually..... For sure this awesome this year? rather doubtful. In a couple years? Heres hopeing.... I also plan on trying to get larpers in on this aswell for the hvz so that "should" allow us to have more players but this is still in its infancy so we will just have to see where it goes from here

#345567 No More Room In Hell I

Posted by Gin on 16 March 2015 - 08:06 AM in Nerf Wars

So I have had this pet project for quite awhile now and as it is finally taking shape I thought its about time I post this to Nerf Haven.

No More Room In Hell I is more than a war, it is several wars, a HVZ event, and modding showcase spanning from Saturday, June 27th to Tuesday, June 30th.

During the day it is Normal NIC style rounds but at 9:00 PM is when the event really starts to shine.... A hardcore HVZ with little restrictions to mods(if it doesn't pierce skin its allowed unless otherwise specified). During the HVZ, which will last until the sun comes up, you will need to manage more than just your ammo- you will need to manage your own food and water aswell as keep your squad going. The location is still pending but If you are interested reply below with any questions or concerns and to rsvp so we can work out lodging and such for players.

UPDATE: I will continue to add Info leading up to the event, things will be tweaked, scale might change, location will be decided, Etc.

UPDATE 3/20/15: A promo video is in the works, War moved to Saturday, June 27th to Tuesday, June 30th, Negotiations on location in process, and forgot to add from my original thread for a hvz : We Will have Rotating Moderation teams so as moderators can play for x days out of x instead of being stuck settling disputes and such the whole time. Bring friends, Your Blasters, some Darts, and a good attitude.
~ Gin the Voidwalker

CANCELED

#345524 Pump action longshot-maverick

Posted by Gin on 13 March 2015 - 07:54 AM in Modifications

Or, build a surround around your maverick, and use your priming rod (the cross piece of your pump grip) to prime both blasters. If designed so the only maverick part it interacts with is the plunger rod (ie not moving a piece of the maverick at all if it's already primed), you should be able to prime once, readying both blasters, and continue to prime the longshot only w/ the same mechanism until the plunger rod (or, I guess, tube in the case of the reverse plunger maverick- is there a reason we're not using a strongarm here?) releases. Anyways, the priming slide on the stock maverick works much the same way, not interfering with any aspect of the blaster unless in it's "resting state", so theoretically all that would be needed is to reinforce (and possibly expand/custom build) the existing maverick slide and integrate an armature which follows back to the location of the original longshot priming handle. Actually a rather novel yet simple build. Make it and show me lots of pictures :angry:

Kidding. Sounds like fun, good luck!

Dang it! now you have me wanting to try this lol....