durka durka's Content

There have been 330 items by durka durka (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#343646 Mech Engineering Colleges

Posted by durka durka on 20 December 2014 - 12:07 PM in Off Topic

The University of Delaware has HvZ. They meet frequently and have Z-week once a semester.
At UD they have mechanical engineers complete design projects every spring. The course load is heavy with a lot of dry math and science courses, so they do this to add some hands-on experience to the major.

They also have what's called a 4+1 plan in which you earn both a bachelor's and master's degree in 5 years.

It's kinda expensive if you're coming from out of state, though you might do well with financial aid and scholarships.

#330274 Strongarm Dart Problem

Posted by durka durka on 26 May 2013 - 08:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

Well NASA has done some research with this problem on the ISS. They found that the issue was fixed on the station, but they're having trouble replicating the results back here on the ground.

#321244 Crankbow, FINALLY!

Posted by durka durka on 30 August 2012 - 10:19 AM in Homemades

This is a really neat concept. I imagine a bow with larger plunger volume and hopper capacity could really take advantage of the superior rof.

Have you considered orienteering the bow arms to a crossbow-like appearance? If not just for purely cosmetic purposes, it might be easier to aim without bow arms in the way.

#313032 The Nitestrike

Posted by durka durka on 17 March 2012 - 05:06 PM in Modifications

That fact that this can achieve 50ft ranges using a nitefinder tube and two mavericks springs is impressive. I wouldn't think such a setup would be able to deliver enough air to compensate for extra deadspace the brass breech might create.

This is a great proof of concept mod. A rev 2 of this mod could really bring some power to the recon-style blasters. I would suggest focusing on increasing the power and reinforcement of crucial parts such as the nf catch.

#310385 First Homemade project.

Posted by durka durka on 30 January 2012 - 09:33 PM in Homemades

You'll most likely notice that a ball-valve isn't the most effective trigger.

This is a great homemade that isn't much more complex than what you're attempting to design.

#304259 3 inch diameter PVC Plunger Tubes

Posted by durka durka on 03 September 2011 - 06:57 PM in Homemades

I wouldn't go quite as far as to say that you should eliminate the catch and spring parts of the blaster, but I do think you should consider a hamp style seal. I would focus on maximizing plunger speed (something the blaster will lack) rather than air volume (something the blaster will have plenty of).

In other words, sacrifice a little of the blaster's inherent advantage to balance out some of its disadvantages.

#304226 Nitefinder Rifle Trigger Problem

Posted by durka durka on 02 September 2011 - 10:24 PM in Modifications

It sounds like maybe the force of the coiled spring is too much for the trigger to push the catch against. Is the trigger pull the same with and without the spring? If it's possible, I would do tests with weaker springs as well.

#304091 New Nerf Series!

Posted by durka durka on 30 August 2011 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

The new blasters are essentially shooting mini frizbees. Compared to the foam disks, darts are about as aerodynamic as cannonballs. It's obvious the improved ranges are a result of aerodynamics rather than anything going on inside the blaster itself.

If these blasters are going to be of any use, the disks will have to be modified, or a homemade solution will have to be discovered. Any modification to the disks will have to add weight which will cause them to fall somewhat faster, therefore losing their main benefit.

#303936 The Two (or Three) Hour Homemade

Posted by durka durka on 27 August 2011 - 11:04 PM in Homemades

For those having trouble finding a check valve in stores, try different Lowes stores. Home Depot definitely won't have them, and even most of the Lowes' I've been to don't carry them either. I got lucky and found a Lowes with the biggest PVC selection I've seen in any hardware store. They carried the check valves in 1/2" 3/4" and 1" sizes.

#302765 Nerf Bolo Rounds

Posted by durka durka on 03 August 2011 - 04:50 PM in General Nerf

How does range compare to standard darts? I'm guessing these won't go nearly as far, but you never know.

How long does it take to load one of these? It seems like getting the yarn to fit properly would be somewhat time consuming.

#302515 Shortened pumpsnap

Posted by durka durka on 29 July 2011 - 09:12 PM in Homemades

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but the [k26] spring can be found on mcmaster, correct? I'm planning on doing something like this and I don't want to order the wrong part.

#302330 A Nerf gun leads to serious charges for a Quincy teen

Posted by durka durka on 26 July 2011 - 08:36 PM in General Nerf

Dude death darts and tac darts from a maverick hurt imagine one from a titan. Yes its improbable for you to directly be killed by one but like kit said construction sites are hazardous enough wsith out jack asses shooting darts at you.

The nerf guns were purchased and then used to harass the construction workers. There was no modding going on. A stock nerf gun couldn't be used in any fashion to inflict serious harm.
Additionally, I highly doubt any kind of tack dart fired from even a titan would result in more than a small puncture wound. The obvious example here is a hit to an eye, but chances of that are remote.

As it was stated before, the construction workers were not on site at the time. They were in a vehicle.

#302241 A Nerf gun leads to serious charges for a Quincy teen

Posted by durka durka on 25 July 2011 - 06:23 PM in General Nerf

What I find interesting is that one officer refers to the nerf gun as a weapon, rather than call it a toy. Maybe "weapon" was used as a general term, but I find it laughable that anything nerf sells could be used to inflict serious injury, let alone death.

#302004 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by durka durka on 21 July 2011 - 08:17 PM in Modifications

Finished this awhile ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Plunger draw increase, industrial spring, two o-rings,SSBP integration, RSCB (holds 4-5 stefans), and a few other small tweaks. I even relocated the pistol grip so that it is more comfortable to hold and easier to holster. However, It's somewhat more awkward to prime now.

You might have noticed the sight on the end of the barrel. It actually does improve accuracy and makes aiming easier and faster.
Posted Image
Simply look down the RSCB and put your target in the circle. I haven't done extensive tests, but I've only seen an improvement in accuracy. My most powerful sidearm as of now.

#301628 Long Shot bolt unable to move/mis alignment (new problem, can only pri

Posted by durka durka on 15 July 2011 - 10:06 PM in Modifications

Do you have any locks still in the blaster? I would remove anything that doesn't have to do with flinging foam downrange. The locks just get in the way.

As for your priming problem, it sounds like the boltsled is catching on something. Look inside the blaster for anything that appears worn down. The sound and force you describe makes it seem like you're having to force the boltsled past some obstruction.

If you can't figure out what's causing the problem, just keep trying to realign the parts.

#301330 Spider Cannon

Posted by durka durka on 10 July 2011 - 09:34 PM in Homemades

Thanks for the advice. Would plumbers goop work? Ya like jaybo said, it was a water gun that you could strap to your wrist. I took off the front nozzle and it wouldn't hold air anymore for some reason, so I just slapped on a ball valve.

Plumbers goop should work, but expoy is better. If you choose to use goop, I would apply more than you think is needed.

Is the pump plugged?

#301316 New Nerf Guns

Posted by durka durka on 10 July 2011 - 05:56 PM in News

Does it really matter what people think of old blasters, especially in a thread titled "new nerf guns"?

The electronic blaster in the vortex line bulges out in right in front of the disk mag in a shape that suggests the use of flywheels.

The use of foam disks brings up more questions than the new blasters themselves. How will the disks compare to nerf darts and our stefans and slugs? Can the disks be modded to be more stable in flight? Can homemade disks be easily made? I don't think we'll figure most of this out until the line is released. How these blasters are received will most likely be determined by how the new ammo type performs.

#300940 A Tech Target mod (plunger relocation, etc.)

Posted by durka durka on 03 July 2011 - 04:06 PM in Modifications

I guess I'll be that guy and ask what kind of ranges you're getting with this mod. I've found this type of plunger draw extension to be great for the nitefinder, and I'm curious as to how effective it is on a ttg.

Also, the picture is a neat idea. Nicely done.

#299135 Singling a Longshot?

Posted by durka durka on 01 June 2011 - 03:55 PM in Modifications

Thanks! I just put a Recon spring in with the Longshot spring and I now get ranges of 140-150 feet!

Flat or angled ranges?

#298879 A magstrike reborn

Posted by durka durka on 28 May 2011 - 06:28 PM in Modifications

I don't trust computer duster to be a safe air supply for nerf guns. The air gets too cold and will crack the first plastic piece it meets. You will end up damaging plastic parts in your magstrike. Take it form someone who's tried this before.

#298734 New Nerf Series!

Posted by durka durka on 27 May 2011 - 06:22 AM in General Nerf

That Nitron looks like one of thesethings with a bunch of extra plastic heaped on. The round gray part of the blaster in front of the magazine gives this away.

I used to have some foam disk shooters and I remember that the disks would never fly straight. Who knows if we'll be able to weigh them to fly straight.

#298548 Grenade Launcher

Posted by durka durka on 24 May 2011 - 09:40 PM in Homemades

Being that you're building this to be mounted under a blaster, it would be simple to design a latch of some sort that would grab the end of the plunger rod when it was pulled all the way back. I would think this would be a better alternative than to put the all the strain on a wooden dowel with a traditional catch, especially with a system that relies directly on the strength of the spring.

#298049 Motion-Detecting Apparatus

Posted by durka durka on 13 May 2011 - 08:48 PM in Homemades

How far away will the sensor work?

#298029 BBB help

Posted by durka durka on 13 May 2011 - 05:31 AM in Modifications

This is only your second post, so I'll help you on this one. As Kid
Flash said, all the best mods are in the modification directory. If you don't know how to get there,you first need to click on "forums", then "modifications" and then the directory should be the fifth topic from the top. The directory is ordered by brand and then alphabetically.

Also, remember that you can always search. The information you need is already on the site, so try the search function first.

#297755 Octo-Shot

Posted by durka durka on 01 May 2011 - 07:09 PM in Modifications

When I saw the youtube window, I was dreading another 15 minute video of some 13 year old drawling on and on about their mod while being completely incoherent the entire time.

Not only was the video very entertaining, it was also very informative and easy to understand. Someone with much less knowledge could easily pull this off.

At first I thought the reinforcing to be excessive, but after watching the range tests and the effort put into priming the gun, the reinforcements seem to be necessary.

#297633 Improving accuracy and precision

Posted by durka durka on 27 April 2011 - 10:40 PM in Darts and Barrels

Ooh! Porting a barrel may be an easy, effective way check your barrel length! Coat the ports very lightly with dish soap or other bubble blowing solution, and fire a dart. No bubbles, or bubble solution inside the tip barrel = too long of a barrel, you're drawing a vacuum before the dart leaves the barrel. If you get bubbles, that means there is excess pressure that could of been used to accelerate the dart. If it just sputters violently, it's too short. That's purely theoretical of course. I don't know if ports on a barrel can even blow bubbles. Perhaps a similar test can be done with a weak tape (painters tape), or glitter/chalk line dust. The chalk line dust may work better with only a single small port drilled.

I like that idea a lot. In fact, it would be easy to have an entire set of ported barrels specifically for testing optimum barrel length.

#297293 longshot mods

Posted by durka durka on 18 April 2011 - 09:11 PM in Modifications

As a lefty, this seems really useful. I like how your mag release lets the mags fall out whereas the stock release requires you to pull them out.

#296702 Internal Air Compressor Titan (nerf Modification)

Posted by durka durka on 27 March 2011 - 03:05 PM in Modifications

Very neat looking. I like how you have the pump as a backup.
What kind of air compressor are you using? Was it originally portable, or did you modify it?

#296498 Nerf Dart Tag Sharp Shot Modification

Posted by durka durka on 23 March 2011 - 06:47 PM in Modifications

These remind me of those dart tag crossfires nerf used to make. Very nice mod. hopefully these have some sort of potential, but so far it doesn't look like it.

#295901 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by durka durka on 12 March 2011 - 07:31 PM in Modifications

How much recutting/remaking of the marker piece did you have to do? How is the stock dart fit?

#295208 High Volume Springer, Easy To Make And Cheap Version Of +bows And Snap

Posted by durka durka on 01 March 2011 - 05:53 PM in Modifications

Two words: Flea market. If I got lucky, I could find a ball pump and nf for <$5. I love the creativity behind this. I am definitely going to have to make one of these in the future. Nice Job.

#293555 Night Vision For N-strike

Posted by durka durka on 29 January 2011 - 06:10 PM in General Nerf

ooh, I just have to get one of these for the nerf night op missions I'm constantly doing. It would be sooooo tacticool.

On a serious note, I could buy any nerf blaster currently on the market, a roll of duct tape, and a flashlight for $55 or less. Let's not forget that we spend our time modifying childrens' toys to play tag with. I can see how this is interesting, just not how it would be very useful at all.

#293404 Scammed Again For $190!

Posted by durka durka on 26 January 2011 - 07:58 PM in General Nerf

I personally don't value a modded recon at $190, but that doesn't matter because obviously autonerf's buyers do. Just because you might be of the opinion that $190 is too expensive, doesn't mean that autonerf should change his business practices to satisfy you.

Also, calling someone a retard just because they put more value and time into their work is just nonsense. You look like a fool when assuming that the way you do things is the way everyone else does.

Autonerf: I occasionally sell electronics (computers, ipods, and such) at an outdoor market. The people there aren't exactly good people and will occasionally try to steal my stuff (Hell, I even had to chase a guy down who tried to walk off with a laptop) My point is that these events would force me to change how I did business in order to avoid any more losses. I hope these experiences are enough to get you to change your business in a way that you won't run into these problems anymore. I hate seeing people get ripped of, and hope you find a way to end this.

#293367 Scammed Again For $190!

Posted by durka durka on 25 January 2011 - 07:49 PM in General Nerf

Was feedback left for the items in question? That alone is proof that the items were received.

If I were you, I would email the buyer demanding that your items be returned. See what kind of response you get and maybe you can trap this kid into admitting he has them. Assuming that this is a young kid who is attempting to scam you, then the credit card used to make the purchases must belong to an adult. I would try and contact the true owner of said card and notify them of the situation. You could call the credit card company and see if they could give you any information, or you could even send a letter to the address you shipped to). Gather any information that may help you regardless of how unimportant it might be.

Also, I think you people who are arguing over how much autonerf may lose are missing the point. Scams like this are wrong and all effort should be made to stop them. By stopping this scam, you may be saving some other sellers lots of time and aggravation.

#293064 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by durka durka on 18 January 2011 - 05:12 PM in Modifications

A little something I'm working on:

Posted Image
The glue is still drying, so I haven't tested this yet. Note the coupler glued into the follower. The coupler is pushed back onto a 1/2" cpvc barrel to allow the use of 1/2" cpvc barrel attachments.

A QUICK EDIT: Obviously there's a lot of deadspace in this thing. The titan only has enough output to launch the balls about 25-15 ft. I'm going to have to do a tank expansion, most likely using the tubing for the "pressure gauge".

#292563 Lanard Triple Shot Re-barreled

Posted by durka durka on 10 January 2011 - 05:29 PM in Modifications

You might want to try connecting each set of three barrels. It seems like that would make it a bit easier to reload.
I really like this mod, especially because it keeps the "shotgun" effect.

#291582 Christmas Stuff?

Posted by durka durka on 26 December 2010 - 05:13 PM in General Nerf

The only nerf thing I got was a stampede (really fun to play with). I also got a nice camera which will be good for taking pics of new mods.

#290641 Maverick Cocking Pin Fix Help.

Posted by durka durka on 11 December 2010 - 04:40 PM in Modifications

Do what exo said, but use a bolt. You can get them in bags of 4 with the proper nuts for less than $5. There's no need to replace the entire slide.

#290194 New "sonic Series"

Posted by durka durka on 05 December 2010 - 09:19 PM in General Nerf

I don't remember anyone making a huge deal over the different nitefinder colors or making it a point to buy them just because they looked different.

#290034 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by durka durka on 04 December 2010 - 03:48 PM in Modifications

For 90% of my projects I use cpvc. It's cheap, light, and widely available.

The fit is tight on stock darts. To get around this, make your barrels shorter than usual, or invest in stefans.
You can't go wrong with cpvc. At worst you're out $3-5.