Cartaya's Content

There have been 109 items by Cartaya (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364484 When is the Next Armageddon? A Friend from Singapore wants to know.

Posted by Cartaya on 04 March 2020 - 10:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Yes, I know it's early, and I told him a date typically isn't posted this early in the year, but my Friend from Singapore (Ty Tan) wants to coordinate a group from his City/State to attend 'Geddon this year but needs a date.  I told him it's typically end of June and Ice9 runs it, but he wants more specifics that of course I can't really give him.  He was at the Last 'Geddon and had a blast.

--Cartaya

#362863 'Geddon Warm up War (5/12/18)

Posted by Cartaya on 07 April 2018 - 01:38 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there

#362834 Armageddon XIX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/23/18)

Posted by Cartaya on 03 April 2018 - 01:37 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there.

#360598 Armageddon XVIII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/24/17) NOW RECAPPING

Posted by Cartaya on 16 June 2017 - 02:25 AM in Nerf Wars

I loved Armageddon.... I'm going to miss Armageddon alot, this year can't make it, working in Singapore.

#359332 Longshot Mod Guide

Posted by Cartaya on 19 April 2017 - 10:27 PM in Modifications

Ok, being this is my favorite LS spring I know exactly how to make it work.  They are worth the trouble as they are just fantastical Springs with tons of power!

Your problem your having is most likely Closed space, it is the distance between the mickey mouse ears and the Plunger head that is required for the wire space of the spring.  If it exceeds what the Longshot allows for the rod catch to clear, it will not prime because the plunger rod will not go back far enough to engage the catch plate.

Other issues can be...

*Stock Catch plate spring.
*Plunger cup is undersized/ deformed/ bent.
*When modding breech, pusher was installed put too far back to prime correctly.

Aside from those issues, try this first, get a screw, same size as a longshot plunger head screw but 3mm longer, what i did is just get a #6 x 3/4" screw and drill out the plunger rod, normal depth beforehand.  The i use a spring, it's a 6.3mm long spring, .7 mm gauge,

how%20to%2016%20NT_zpsd9hemsuh.jpg

...In laymans terms, a 2.5mm spacer (or how ever much i need up to 4mm) that goes into the plunger head inside the screw and gives me more space internally for the spring.  I then use silicone in the hexagonal hole in the plunger head so as i am tightening it, i make a seal, afterwards wiping off the excess.  I let that dry for a day, and put that in my Longshots.

Other things to consider.

*The new NT16 KG springs Have ground ends, better gold Plating, 12 coils instead of 14, meaning 7mm less solid space needed to prime.

*Grounding ends flat helps, especially for 2mm Gauge wire and up.

--Cartaya

#359293 What was the first ever Nerf Mod.

Posted by Cartaya on 17 April 2017 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

This is what I was afraid of actually, that Nerf History, like all history also being in the eye of the beholder, might also be largely forgotten.  Me not being that vintage into modding (maybe 2008 with one blaster, more serious 2012 on), I always love stories from veterans like Apollo256 and Baghead at S.C.U.N meets, mostly the parts I missed before being really involved.  I even Tweaked a Sharpshooter back in my Highschool days, nothing much, mostly the Darts with the fins.

--Cartaya

#359286 What was the first ever Nerf Mod.

Posted by Cartaya on 17 April 2017 - 08:11 PM in General Nerf

I know this is almost an impossible question to answer as written in the title, but maybe more like...

*What was the first ever "effective" Nerf mod.
*What was the first "published" Nerf mod.
*What was the first Nerf mod to do the community good (not necessarily effective or published).

I was wondering about this, thinking of coming back to Nerfhaven, hey what started this all?

Hope this question takes you back.

--Cartaya

#356611 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 03 November 2016 - 11:16 PM in General Nerf

Dude great suggestions.  Some slugs factory made for the USA market, you know, I want to try X zone cutdown darts in a hopper, do they hopper?  I'm with you on the angled mags, I'm down with flat mags, never needed more than those. I use Xplorer Flat 18's loaded to 15, works great, sure not so trendy, but hey I'm 41, I don't need to be :)

And field strippable, I like that idea, speaking for myself, I'm toying with a subframe design that has a chassis, I'm trying to figure out how to do that on the UM Simpapura, there are a few problems.  My current design has 6 screws in the back and everything else drops in from the back to the dart gate, only other screw is an adjustment screw and a trigger mech access door.  I wonder if I could do a release system, but I'm designing my blaster 14 kg in the box capable of 28 kg's+, and that's a lot of force on a rear spring plate, if all the sudden, the release snapped in battle, ohhh!!!!  Lawsuit time.   That's my only concern, but if I can fix that engineering problem, I'm game!

Oh and it Should be noted, Snoop here came up with the idea for my drawhandle on the Mauser-Fire prototype, just bought the spacers today, thanks bruv!
2014_0106_043339_002_zps1wgs5tyk.jpg

#356602 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 03 November 2016 - 12:21 PM in General Nerf

There is some talk of some Air/gas stuff.  They want to get into everything, I really think Aeromech, Roboman And Captian Slug should drop them a line, if they haven't already.  I asked Jason to join NH,  If not PM me and I can relay to Jet Blaster Mods.  Their philosophy appears to be "for modders, by modders" which is why I don't want the American NIC out of the loop.

#356594 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 02 November 2016 - 08:38 PM in General Nerf

I have met both of you, I Like both of you, you really surprised me as a person and you have a cool kid Draconis,  You give me excellent feedback on FB and I "DO" listen, may not always agree, but most of the time I have found I do agree.  I just think Drac and Draconis, you 2 should have a showdown for the name, man to man, longshot to longshot, 3 falls as gentlemen and leave shaking hands that the best man won, but that's between you two. 

The X Zeus was what the original name of the Longshot reshell was called, it was before the Hasbro Zeus, but who named it first when the rival Zeus was in development, I wouldn't know for sure.  The new Retaliator shell, the XCeda, is original in name (Mine might be called the Ultra Match Siṃhapura, Can't say more than that) and I hope that uniqueness continues in their product line for name distinction as the company grows.

Great Suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it, I want to work with you not against or forced, your doing your part, thanks.

#356588 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 02 November 2016 - 04:13 PM in General Nerf

Two points, I don't want to get shot and it's too expensive.

• Offer colors that wont get me shot by an officer thinking I have an assault rifle (Blue, red, yellow, pink, purple, neon green, orange).
  • Something in all carbon fiber or black will end up with me on the news looking like swiss cheese.
  • Supply orange tips for barrels, at that price point its not hard to throw that safety feature in.

Also, if I can do the same thing for 1/3 the price it's not really viable. A SNAP and hopper combo is maybe $50 at the most, versus $210 for a kit that doesn't even get you all the way there (still need a shell). Let alone someone could grab an Artifact kit for $50 shipped, get a year worth of darts, and still be under Xplorer's price point.

To put this into perspective, just one of their completed blasters costs more than the equivalent of 5 months rent for me.

That's $210 for the kit "and" the shell.  Even the full Xplorer Trooper kit with the hybred metal sled is going for around $200 right now. 

#356582 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 02 November 2016 - 02:58 PM in General Nerf

Yea, From what I heard they are bringing back the v2 X darts, I don't know if they are going to be rubber, vinyl, but I sorely miss the silicone V2 darts too, hopefully silicone or a softer, but not too soft material. (got a stash of 300 for my arsenal).

They partnered with a company that does hydro dipping (DIP Graphics in Singapore), but I would like to see a base color like white, blue or red.

14572943_210598162695955_556819163285090

As for Merlynn, I put it on the table but I believe they are more interested in staying with a true aluminum bore. However I did get to level and crown my own barrel on my Zeus 2 by hand with a right angle, file, deburing tool and a flat stone at the Xplorer HQ. I was able to show how much a difference it makes. I suggested a Precision bore be made available as an option, but keep the original lower cost breech kit as well.  I think a Merlynn is better than a Scar barrel, but it needs a cost effective way to make it and the bore lines have to be precise.

#356556 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 01 November 2016 - 08:34 PM in General Nerf

Price point: only price revealed is the Zeus 2 with a nylon sled for $135, I heard that and the full longshot kit will go for $210.  If I threw a Trooper kit and a zeus shell together non Jet Blaster mods, much much more expensive, if that is an example.  Maybe Artifact prices, maybe cheaper.  I'm not in the front door, so I don't know for sure, but i'll keep you posted.

And I told them about the need for colors for the NIC market here in America, as well as to address the needs of the Aussie Nerfers as well.

Well From what I understand is that they want to go into mass production.  They are about to release an inexpensive Longshot kit, with a Nylon Boltsled.  In my X Zeus 2 that I had in Singapore, it held up to the beefier Xplorer 7/8x5.5x.080 14 coil spring, (which, I don't care if people say it's not a true 18 kg spring, it's a good damn spring) without any stress marks.

I think that is what's gonna make them, good kits, parts, service and a connection to the customers and to "LIVE IT, NOT JUST SELL IT!" I might be making them a few pistols and a whole bunch of other stuff I have yet to tell them about,  and they have several other people in talks who are in the modding community who are getting out of the garage workshop, and helping them with the designs.... Some of them well missed and desirable.

Mum's the word with all that, but I think the shells should have come out second.

Let's just say I heard a few of them, and man are they useful... Can't say what.... but "useful"  much more than OMW.

This is just the beginning...... That's the feeling, and Singapore is rad!

#356530 Jet Blaster Mod Reviewer Convention In Singapore.

Posted by Cartaya on 01 November 2016 - 09:59 AM in General Nerf

I attended this convention and I want to answer any questions that you may have and not leave Nerfhaven out of the loop.  A lot of people have strong feelings about Xplorer, Milsim Nerf and Nerf in general, I respect that.  I respect that things that would get banned from a NIC war, and for it's venue, rightfully so (like a camo blaster at Armageddon for example), but would be essential for a War competition at a Singapore play field.  We here in America, can play in parks legally, and I want to keep it that way too :)

I have been in serious talks with this company to possibly work with them, maybe part/full time live in Singapore to design blasters and help the company. I must say, I am Fascinated by their philosophy and attitudes towards Nerf. However, I need feedback, Honest feedback, this is a startup company that feels modders, from what I understand talking with Jason Wu, the Chief Executive, should utilize their skills to make better products, not be ignored.  Not fight amongst ourselves, but more work together.  I feel that if the NIC in America is not heard or considered properly at least somewhere in their product line, the result will be underwhelming.  I discussed that we need to consider all regions of Nerf when they make a product so that it is not one sided for one region.  And also that if a shell/blaster/kit that they make, may it be made for 14kg's out the door to limit liability, should be designed for as high as a modder can reasonably take it (for example they would make a longshot 14kg's out the door, it should be made for 32 kg's of spring force). 

But at any rate feel free.

--Cartaya

#356360 T.R.I.C.K.S. Southern California costume war

Posted by Cartaya on 20 October 2016 - 09:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Sadly, I just got my Ticket information to go to the Jet Blaster Mod reviewer conference in Singapore and it looks like I have to leave the day after the war not the 24 as originally planned.  Sorry guys, I had my simple costume (a cat) ready to go and everything.

1.MATTHEW CARTAYA/CHRISTOPHER MR                                              

2  QR 740 N 23OCT 7*LAXDOH HK1  1605 1805  24OCT  E               

3  QR 942 N 24OCT 1*DOHSIN HK1  2025 0915  25OCT  E                 

4  QR 945 N 28OCT 5*SINDOH HK1  0225 0500  28OCT  E                 

5  QR 739 N 28OCT 5*DOHLAX HK1  0755 1405  28OCT  E  

#356297 Your thoughts on the Accustrike darts?

Posted by Cartaya on 17 October 2016 - 03:21 AM in Darts and Barrels

Some thoughts....Has anyone seen a X shot dart yet?  I think that is a much better idea for a dart, if they were only a little heavier.

I'm not exactly jumping for joy about these,  I dreamed for years the next Nerf dart from Hasbro would be better than the K'nex darts. Why couldn't they make a decent nipple-head dart with a soft head instead?  The head being collapsible could cause a lot of problems with sealed breeches and long barrels as where the K'nex darts have a taper to them to avoid that problem.  Oh well.   

#356292 K25 spring (way) too strong for longshot?

Posted by Cartaya on 16 October 2016 - 04:02 PM in Modifications

Excellent answer Captian Slug.  And, JoeVC, I would use a [k26] before using a [k25] however, I believe you can fit 5" of a [k26] no problem but if you insist on using a [k25] which will have more precompression and good power. 

This is what Captian Slug is talking about, just simply get all the numbers together and do the math.

2.18 (coils per inch) x.080 =.1744 solid space per inch of spring at full compression x 6" of spring= 1.0464" of solid space,  that should fit fine. 

As for catch springs, I like Century c-528 springs 1"x 7/32" x .028 cut down to 5/8ths with a pair of wire cutters and facing the open end towards the shell.  You can get these at Orchard Supply and Hardware.  However sometimes they are under different numbers we have found, so keep the size of the spring written down not just the model number.

#356183 T.R.I.C.K.S. Southern California costume war

Posted by Cartaya on 09 October 2016 - 02:59 AM in Nerf Wars

Going, see ya all there.

#356096 Pump Action Reaper Writeup

Posted by Cartaya on 04 October 2016 - 09:42 PM in Modifications

I think that PVC barrel will make a good housing for a sleeper breech barrel system later on, Good work man!

#355827 The BuzzBee Sentinel / Ultra Tek basic guide

Posted by Cartaya on 26 August 2016 - 12:31 PM in Modifications

Thanks Van, I did this to my X-Sentinel, so far it's doing great.  It's awesome but labor intensive,  I completely melted Nylon all over a Dremel cutting wheel cutting the spacer down to the profile shape of a Sentinel Plunger rod and catch, but it was worth it.  If anyone has any questions, shoot me a post or a private message, I will be following this post, I'm not the best technical writer in the world, but I enjoy helping others with their mods.

Also typo, my bad, it's a 1/2"x1"x .19 ID spacer to fit with a #10 threaded rod.  One could use 6-32 or 8-32 threaded rod to bring the weight down if so inclined, just make sure your spacer fits the threads of the threaded rod first.  Also if you can find threaded spacers, that is also nice, but not the end of the world if you can't.

I also found this and this, however not as cost effective as galvanized threaded rod and 10-24 locknuts.  Also, do put in mind, it's Titanium, reacts with Nitrogen, so be careful if you go this route....

#355289 New Generation NF Rifle: The FS Rifle

Posted by Cartaya on 31 July 2016 - 02:53 AM in Modifications

If that's a [k26], id's say 10" is optimal. Would be 12"if that were 18 Kg's.

70cc/1.7/3.21= 12.82

But 14 Kg's is less to get that optimal pressure at barrel exit.

#355288 17/32 Brass Vs 9/16 Brass: What fit for elites

Posted by Cartaya on 31 July 2016 - 02:29 AM in Darts and Barrels

K&S 19/32" is a really sloppy fit, since its ID is .570"

K&S 9/16" is a loose fit with an ID of .5345" which is way too loose for springers unless it's part of a hybrid/telescope barrel.

K&S 17/32" has an ID of .503" and should fit stock darts (name brand or not) really well. It did the last time I used it.

And no, none of them make a "perfect" seal because you're interfacing brass with brass. Even when you screw brass fittings together tightly you have to dope, tape, or gasket the joint to get it to seal pressure. They wouldn't be able to slide inside of each other if they were toleranced really closely either. You're going to sacrifice a tiny fraction of your range potential in favor of having the convenient of a brass breech.

I've generally not been particularly happy using brass for barrels because the downsides are

• Really difficult to glue to anything to it. Usually best to just nest it inside of something else using electrical tape instead, which also helps to mitigate the next issue...
  • Easily damaged because the walls are so thin.
  • Tarnishes, lymes, and gets ugly really quickly.
  • An extremely smooth interior surface is great for air-powered blasters, but not particularly preferable with springers.

In my experience with brass, and I use brass for a lot of blasters.

• Krazy glue, Gorilla glue, bonds pretty well, also sand your surfaces first.
  • Yes brass is quite thin, .014 typically, and brass is quite soft, but laminating plastic tips and telescoping 9/16th really helps. You have to be more careful with brass, if that's worth it to you, you're call.
  • Yea keeping brass pretty is more  work, But Silicone spray/pledge/Brassco, not in that order, helps a lot.
  • It's all I use for springer's, but Captain slug is right in a way, there is a payoff point for brass, and it starts at, Ide say 150 fps+ in my opinion.  You need a high velocity to overcome the drag I have found in my years of modding. Lower velocity blasters you are better off exploring other options.

#355209 From Mag Pouches to a Whole Rig! Uses for Duct Tape In Nerf...

Posted by Cartaya on 25 July 2016 - 10:22 PM in General Nerf

I like duct tape holsters, I have been developing them since 2012.  They allow much more flexibility in design and the sometimes odd measurements of Nerf blasters that it's hard to find holsters for.  Few rules of thumb I find have helped me...

• When making holsters for Magazines, wrap it in a sock when you measure it to allow enough tolerance to make the mags move in/out freely, but not so much that they fall out in battle.
  • When making holsters for pistols, use ball point pen sleeves so that when they are drawn from the holster the front doesn't stay snagged to the blaster.
  • Consider neodymium clasps rather than Velcro, it can be done if you have a high enough gauss level, ceramic is right out, just too weak.
  • Incorporating fibertape (3M extreme packing tape for example) is a plus, also finishing the outer layer with Duct tape brand printed design tape, the printed film tends to be more weather/wear proof.

IMG_5361_zpsqm4sogtp.jpg
11709845_569053079900763_822237458655324

#355192 B.R.A.D,F.E.S.T. 2. - August 13 SoCal War

Posted by Cartaya on 25 July 2016 - 04:09 AM in Nerf Wars

Me too, rolling close quarters combat this war instead of my usual antics.  Also, might try out my new X-Sentinel for a round or two.

Not that anyone cares but...Dug this up out of storage a few days ago, just for this war also and replaced the outer spring with a Rival Apollo spring and put 1/2" of a C-528 century spring as a catch spring, it's tits. 

#355101 The BuzzBee Sentinel / Ultra Tek basic guide

Posted by Cartaya on 20 July 2016 - 05:12 AM in Modifications

You're advice on Facebook and your guides here on Nerfhaven have been a huge help with my own Sentinel.  Thanks Snoop, other than being the boxhead, you're going to be known for your work on this blaster far and wide.  Amongst many circles, you already are....

#354993 Hole Door

Posted by Cartaya on 14 July 2016 - 03:19 PM in Darts and Barrels

That is awesome, I'm really glad to help.  Makes sense with the gasket being larger so the door doesn't pull it in and try to fold the edge of it. I wonder if rounding the edges of the seal, the side that faces the door, if that would also help.  But it sounds like you got it under control. 

#354902 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 09 July 2016 - 11:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Great event.

Cons:

* Slides were broken so the original part of the park we were going to play at couldn't be used.
*Sad that Bags and Apollo couldn't show, Nate always adds color and fun to SCUN wars and Apollo is just overall a cool guy.
*Moved around everywhere, but what this added was that we weren't playing In the same play area all day, although towards the end we were playing towards the trees mostly, just not...all day...
*Need to find softer Alpha domes, however not immediate as next war I'm going close quarters battle with the modded Longshot anyways, (I promised Roboman). 
*Lost every single CTF that day, but the other team had a runner I swear was on roids :) (just kidding) 

Pros:

*Nice park, not all grass or sand or pavement, good mix of all the above ample parking and relatively near a bitching however somewhat crowded shopping mall, always nice to have an air conditioned place to chill at lunch and after a war.
*During the second game of Blob where I switched the teams back in my favor, I did a Daffy Duck "Wooohooo Woohoo Woohoo"! Highlight of my day.
*Cannonball stepped up to the plate and delivered, excellent leadership skills which started out with him addressing the issue with the slide area and continuing to keep the meet alive and kicking.
*Roboman kept the games alive and kicking quite well once Ice Nine and Cannonball left, something I have seen many Nerf meets fall apart after...but not this one.

I guess i'll have to wait for next year to find out what all this slideball hype is about....

#354866 Hole Door

Posted by Cartaya on 08 July 2016 - 04:56 AM in Darts and Barrels

A little shy on Nerfhaven, always have been, but I think this is a really good idea, so here it goes...

How about making the spring loaded screw at the load face stationary, back the washer with a #6 nylon washer a stationary screw.  Crazy idea, removes the margin of clearance that the spring provides, but I have seen lots of Cigar cutters with no give, I think it might work. 

#354849 Hole Door

Posted by Cartaya on 07 July 2016 - 01:03 AM in Darts and Barrels

Would the foam seal degrade over time and how well does it seal under firing pressures?

I'd love to make a replacement for ball valves to reduce how bulky the setup is, but one nice thing is the ball valve + extended leverage arm setup I have has lasted ~5 years without requiring any maintenance.

You could just use tighter spring to give it more bite, Maybe a Century C-528, or maybe a .035 gauge spring. 

I'm thinking if the 2 pieces of polycarb were solid enough with tight enough tolerances to hold a seal if pressed together..... and the pivot also had a high yield  .028-.035 gauge spring (like a c 528 century spring or a Hilman #143)  it might have enough of a seal by itself.

Also, Slug, great work recently, been showing it to a lot of my associates on FB.

#354848 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 06 July 2016 - 11:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Can anyone, if you have one, bring a gram scale?  I have no real idea how much my new flying ashtrays (Alpha Domes) weigh.  And if Ice is showing, are we playing a round of Carpe?

#354789 DCHAP-3

Posted by Cartaya on 04 July 2016 - 03:14 PM in Homemades

I'm thinking this has to be doablein PVC and much smaller, a wastegate set to whatever pounds you want.

Also, to help get the right spring weight for the gate seal, this spring calculator helps, you have to know length, wire gauge, diameter, active coils (the ones that are pitched, not flat), at the end of the results there is a place where you can select an exact compression height and get the yield at height.

On my way to Redondo Beach yesterday for the 4th, I was toying with an idea in my head to use 1/2 NPT and a thread cap (twist the cap to set the pounds), drill a hole, put in a small tub cap in as a seal and a small Home depot spring behind it.  Like the tiny tiny one that comes with the Everbilt Home Depot 4"x7/8thsx.080 spring nobody ever has a use for.  I forget the dimensions of that spring, might be too heavy anyawys, but I think the right 1x1/2x maybe .072 gauge spring should do the trick.

#354775 DCHAP-3

Posted by Cartaya on 03 July 2016 - 12:42 AM in Homemades

I have been looking this over for the last few days and I was wondering about the 1/4th rod that goes inside the 1/2 inch elbow to the valve stem that discharges the air in the reservoir.   Is that just a 1/4th" hole? no o ring? would that be a big deal? or would any air loss be negligible to the point it doesn't matter with an air dump that size?

#354456 Any War Stories?

Posted by Cartaya on 22 June 2016 - 01:15 AM in General Nerf

Too many to tell, Watch the Basic Nerf Video's where I am featured.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

YOU DIDN'T EVEN LINK THOSE VIDEOS. YOU JUST TOLD PEOPLE TO GO FIND THEM. THANKS FOR "CONTRIBUTING" TO THIS THREAD.

#354455 broken plunger rod

Posted by Cartaya on 22 June 2016 - 01:09 AM in Modifications

Use a stronger Plunger rod such as a Worker/OMW/Xplorer PR setup, the lips hardly ever break on these...

#354444 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 21 June 2016 - 07:56 PM in Nerf Wars

Going, Might have my new alpha domes by then....

#354409 Buzz Bee Sentinel Mods

Posted by Cartaya on 20 June 2016 - 09:29 PM in Modifications

Talk to Snoop Doggy Doge, He loves that blaster.  I'm working on an X-Setinel but I need to work on my pusher angle on my breech and a few other things before it sees the light of day in a NIC war.  But it's running a full Century C-810 and the stock spring pretty respectably.

#354156 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Cartaya on 13 June 2016 - 02:02 AM in Nerf Wars

Pro's:

*Nice cool weather.
*My new Brassed Dual-Strike Magnum needed a couple of adjustments, but once dialed in, all my other blasters rusted in disuse including my Longshot, 2k, and even my usual super sprung pistols.
*Good to see everyone again, getting the band back together!
*I like the new gametypes, team CTF (wish we played a few rounds of that) and click of death TDM, keeping a point system and respawns on hits reminds me when I used to play Quake with my College friends, no body feels left out waiting for the next round.
*Recovered nearly all of my darts, I usually count on losing 50-75 in a war like this.
*A lot of new faces, good to see the word getting out and people giving the NIC a try, whatever I can do to help, please don't hesitate to message me, I want to see the NIC grow and in the right way.
*Also a lot of cool East Coast people came out, Hoongfu and Koree, just bitchin players, so are the Wonder Twins and a few other people here that are my favorite players in the NIC.
*No rounds with eliminations (except speedrounds) meant no bogeys that were picking up ammo that you couldn't figure out if they were in or out of the game. Snoop wrote an excellent post on this on FB about a bunch of dick modded stock kids at a local war who hovered around the play area looking for darts with no hands up and it's quite annoying, I agree.
*A lot more players working on better effective range and shooting some great shots from a distance.  I saw some pretty long kills from others as far as 150' and maybe farther.  Very cool! 

Cons:

*A lot of young kids made me somewhat nervous of accidentally nailing them with an X-Dart or FvJ at too close of range, I'm usually at a distance when I shoot anyways, but I know the darts  still hit somewhat hard even then. 
*One idea of having a Smart AR that switches to megas is so that if someone comes close, I can switch to something that hits softer at closer ranges.  For the most part, worked, but in a couple of cases, I accidentally hit the singled barrel while trying to fire mega's.  Usually I just dry fired it, but in one case, engaged the brass barrel, nailing Baghead in the face (sorry).
*I wanted to call time out when Pants got nailed in the crotch, but didn't know if it was appropriate for me to do so or if I was allowed to, he got hit hard. That is my own confusion, other than that, everything else was clear and very well organized.
*And yea, same deal, my darts worked great at home, and when I got there, not as great.  But no excuses I did well and loved the game.  Pretty moist humid day.
*Pulled both inner thigh muscles, I don't know how.

#353723 Looking for the ideal Nerf rifle

Posted by Cartaya on 24 May 2016 - 03:27 AM in General Nerf

I didn't come here to sell, I just wanted to show you, it can be done, besides I'm not taking commissions right now, way too much work before Armageddon XVII. That blaster is very specialized, it's actually a pistol with a carbine stock. and sure one could put any sights, red dots or attachments you want, it's how much are you willing to spend..

But it's just a toy, brass, precautions taken to a heavy springload and a large plunger tube, well relatively large... But mostly experience, and if I or someone just sells you a blaster, will you get any experience.  I'm just being honest, hear me out,  If I just bought a modded recon and raider in 2008-9, I would have never been a better modder?  Probably no.....

My point is, you can do it, If you really read up on write ups on here, go to wars, see what works and don't work, try your best to mod, work at it, you can do it. Me and many of us here have been modding for years, a lot of people here way longer than me.  It's very rewarding to make something like those 2 blasters I showed and accomplish what you were trying to do, I couldn't take that away, how unfair would that be. 

Keep in touch.

--Cartaya

#353721 Looking for the ideal Nerf rifle

Posted by Cartaya on 24 May 2016 - 02:05 AM in General Nerf

Play with long barreled designs,  this one has been shooting wild at the last few wars, Ever since I went twin Longshot springs (OMW 8 Kg and Xplorer 18 Kg)  but I finally got her dialed in and the darts stable.  I just threw an orange plastic tip on it last week.   The right darts and 3.6 Joules or so can do wonders, but don't use this to dick around with your friends, you'll welt them pretty bad, but NIC wars, ok.  This was a response to a kid claiming a unmodded stryfe with a scope was $n!per, I had to break it to him....

https://youtu.be/rNIP7KO_NeY

#353715 Looking for the ideal Nerf rifle

Posted by Cartaya on 24 May 2016 - 12:05 AM in General Nerf

Lol, does that say Mega BDSM?  Sorry... I didn't mean to get side tracked. 

So does that function like a cross bow? Does it fire foam darts, or real darts?

BDSM stands for "Brassed Dual Strike Magnum".

It is singled Stefan/Smart AR Mega Selectable.  This one is 19 Kg's, Has a 8 Kg omw longshot spring and a 11 Kg thunderbow spring.  with a 12" 17/32nds brass barrel it can pull 260 fps, but 220-240 fps with an 18" brass barrel and much more stable.