Homestarune's Content

There have been 150 items by Homestarune (Search limited from 08-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#298057 Zombie Party Topeka Kansas May 28

Posted by Homestarune on 13 May 2011 - 11:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Holy shit Keith, you're still around. I'm actually a maybe for this. Nevermind, I'll likely be at a graduation party. Also, has he ever run anything before, because I'm getting the distinct impression that he hasn't.

#289490 Longshot Cs6 X-ii "shattershot"

Posted by Homestarune on 30 November 2010 - 02:32 PM in Modifications

Remind me never to nerf with you if you run around aiming for peoples' heads.

Actually, I prefer to sharpshoot more than run around. Just don't stand still too long, and you'll be reasonably safe.

Can you make a video of all your headshot kills? That'd be soooo cool. Do you have some kind of training from the military? What's that little thingy on the end for? Is it part of the lazer? How much does the scope help when sharpshooting? Ignore him, he's just jealous that he's not a good shot. Once again, great job. It's nice to see some innovation in the nerf community for once.

#289021 Talking To The Press.

Posted by Homestarune on 26 November 2010 - 11:00 PM in News

Blah, Blah, Blah. I clearly do not understand what is going on.

Seriously, fuck off. The administration at my university forced Humans versus Zombies to close down. A significant part of this was due to bad press. Keep in mind that the vast majority of these blasters aren't even modified, and even those that were at most had air restrictors removed.

Nerf is already being kind to the NIC by allowing us to receive information before it's officially posted. Not to mention the gift bags that some have received. Bottom line, we're being more than just tolerated. The last thing we need to do is piss them off.

#286065 Kansas Nerf Off- "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 26 September 2010 - 02:08 AM in Nerf Wars

Server Error, disregard.

#286064 Kansas Nerf Off- "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 26 September 2010 - 02:06 AM in Nerf Wars

Seeing as I have no way to make it to this war, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

There was a pretty big nerf community in Manhattan when I lived there. But I heard they outlawed it on campus so it must be hard to get anything going. We used to play CTF in Bosco Plaza every Sunday afternoon...

Why nerf is dead at K-State. The policy was essentially put in place to ban HvZ, Fugitive and CTF without directly saying so. I suppose it might be worth seeing if I couldn't get something going at the city park. Still, playing at Bosco Plaza would be the best.

#286004 Kansas Nerf Off- "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 24 September 2010 - 08:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Seeing as I have no way to make it to this war, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

#285040 Kansas Nerf Off- "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 07 September 2010 - 07:33 PM in Nerf Wars

Well damn. I'm glad to see you guys are still alive.

order wyes

I'd kick in on a few of these if you're going to make an order.

Same here, I'd be willing to pitch in to buy a few of those.

#285008 Kansas Nerf Off- "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 07 September 2010 - 02:53 PM in Nerf Wars

If I can get a ride home from Manhattan, I'd be up for this. I won't speak for Little Dan, but you can probably count on him showing.

#280013 Kansas War Planning

Posted by Homestarune on 11 July 2010 - 10:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Not happening.

#270445 Kansas Nerf Off - "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 27 March 2010 - 12:49 AM in Nerf Wars

War was fantastic, will update post with picture once Equilox sends them to me.

#270284 Kansas Nerf Off - "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 25 March 2010 - 09:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Hey guys. Sorry, but they need me at work on Saturday so I won't be able to make it this time. Have fun though.

On a similar note, I can't get off work until 10:30. I'll be there around 11:00 with Little Dan in tow. Sorry to hear you can't make this one Collective.

#269679 Kansas Nerf Off - "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 19 March 2010 - 09:49 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be making a few extra darts for Equilox and his group. By the way, at what time on Saturday is this going to happen?

#267731 Kansas Nerf Off - "nerf Sum Igitur"

Posted by Homestarune on 02 March 2010 - 11:33 PM in Nerf Wars

Edit: I'll be there.

#267691 Hitler Finds Out About The Nerf Longstrike And Deploy

Posted by Homestarune on 02 March 2010 - 10:19 PM in Off Topic

Researchers have recently discovered a video showing Hitler's reaction to the Longstrike and Deploy blasters being released. As the video is in German I have included subtitles for your benefit. Since this version of IPB does not appear to support direct embedding, you'll have to view this historical narrative on Youtube.

That's enough bullshitting for one post. If you've ever heard of the "Hitler Finds Out" meme, that's what this is, for those of you who've never heard of it before, just sit back and let the hilarity ensue.

Hitler finds out about the Nerf Longstrike and Deploy

#264055 Wichita Kansas War

Posted by Homestarune on 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Meatballica, is there any weekend that would work best for you? Since it looks like you're the only out of towner that might come (sorry, Ace, I'll come up to Topeka sometime this summer if you host a war) the date is pretty much up to you.

Sadly, I will not be able to attend this one, I hope you have fun. For those of you who are in the Topeka/KC area, Ace or I will get something set soon enough.

#261303 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Homestarune on 09 January 2010 - 09:05 PM in Off Topic

A'ight, what's happening, this event is supposedly going on, and I see no information telling me where to be, could someone please explain what's going on?

#261293 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Homestarune on 09 January 2010 - 07:24 PM in Off Topic

Nice to see that this has grown. Does anyone know what server we'll be playing at for CS:S?

#258766 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 12 December 2009 - 07:32 PM in Nerf Wars

I had a blast, despite it being cold. I'd can't wait to have another one of these.

+The cops being nice and not kicking us out.
+My crossbow
+Being the last man standing during zombie rounds
+Ditching Equilox to save my own ass during zombie rounds.
+Seeing someone do well with a raider
+Seeing friends and fellow nerfers again.

-Getting shot in the face three times
-My SM1500 not working.
-The cold.

#258683 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 12 December 2009 - 12:24 AM in Nerf Wars

The war is still on.

#258644 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 11 December 2009 - 05:28 PM in Nerf Wars

There is a small amount of snow on the ground (mostly in patches). If you're planning on coming, bring a coat, hat, and gloves.

#258566 Splitfire Redux

Posted by Homestarune on 10 December 2009 - 03:03 AM in Modifications

What ranges are you getting?

It goes to eleven.

#258563 Splitfire Redux

Posted by Homestarune on 10 December 2009 - 02:40 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

A picture of the now modified internals.

Posted Image

I glued the barrels down and screwed the shell back in.

Posted Image

The other side after I cleaned it up a bit.

Questions? Comments?

#258562 Splitfire Redux

Posted by Homestarune on 10 December 2009 - 02:38 AM in Modifications

I realize that most of this has been done already. This modification simply goes into more detail than cxwq did. I figured that it was time to further in depth. Bags was kinds enough to sell me a stock Splitfire.

Tools/materials needed:

Screwdriver
Hacksaw
Hotglue

Posted Image

Here’s the front of the blaster:

Posted Image

And the back:

Posted Image

A look at the internals.

Posted Image

The pump tube and stock barrels

Posted Image

9/16” brass just so happens to fit near perfectly in the bottom of the stock barrels.

Posted Image

I measured how much 9/16” was needed. I used about 2.75” of 9/16” on each barrel.

Posted Image

I fit a full tube of 17/32 in each barrel to see what it would look like. I decided not to go with something so absurdly long. I ended cutting them down to 8.5” as it seemed to give me a good dart/barrel fit.

Posted Image

I put a bit of silicon lubricant inside the pump tube.

Posted Image

Plug the pump with a dab of hot glue.

Posted Image

I made a mark on the back notch of the barrels.

Posted Image

Here’s what they look like after having been cut through.

Posted Image

Remove those pesky air restrictors. It helps if you can get a knife around the outside where the restrictors are glued to the barrels.

Posted Image

I slid the 9/16” sheath over the 17/32” for barrel stability.

Posted Image

I wrapped electrical tape over the end of the 9/16” segment until it met the diameter of the stock barrels.

Posted Image

Here’s what it looked like once the brass was placed inside the stock barrels.

#258491 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 09 December 2009 - 11:31 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm up for a war in the snow, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Coats will most likely be necessary. Ace, do you know if you're coming?

#258338 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 07 December 2009 - 08:14 PM in Nerf Wars

The war is going to be held at Black Bob park in Overland Park, Kansas. Directions are up. Ace, I may be interested in some of your weaponry.

#258277 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 07 December 2009 - 01:09 PM in Nerf Wars

It's in the OP. I'll have the war location and directions to you by 6:00 PM tonight.

#257875 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 03 December 2009 - 01:05 AM in Nerf Wars

I apologize, I forgot to mention that the war is at 10 AM. Just make sure that the guests that you're bringing have some kind of modified primary that can shoot on the level of a modified BBB. I'm hearing that there are going to be a large number of guests, and I'd hate to have a shortage of stefans/weaponry. Having said that, I have one, maybe two blasters that I'd be willing to loan out.

#257822 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 02 December 2009 - 03:01 PM in Nerf Wars

Alright, here's the lowdown, I can't make it to Topeka. I'm sorry, it's just not going to work for me to host it there. Sorry to have to say this, but that's just how it is. This war will take place in Olathe on December 12. I'll post directions here soon.

#257768 Official Steam/pc Gaming Thread

Posted by Homestarune on 01 December 2009 - 10:48 PM in Off Topic

Steam ID: 00nage
Games Owned: Counterstrike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source

#257601 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 29 November 2009 - 11:03 PM in Nerf Wars

Alright, it looks like this is going to go down on the 12'th. I haven't as of yet decided the location, I'll get back to you all shortly on that.

#257577 Need A Volunteer For The Mod Directory

Posted by Homestarune on 29 November 2009 - 08:55 PM in News

I'd be up for doing it.

#257348 Kansas End Of Year War

Posted by Homestarune on 26 November 2009 - 11:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Date: December 12

Time: 10:00 AM - 4:00PM

Location: 14500 West 151st Street, Overland Park, Kansas. Directions are soon to follow.

From Wichita: http://www.mapquest....2395&2v=ADDRESS

From Topeka: http://www.mapquest....2395&2v=ADDRESS

From Raymore: http://www.mapquest....2395&2v=ADDRESS

From Lawrence: http://www.mapquest....2395&2v=ADDRESS

What to bring: A good attitude, a primary, stefans and eye protection.

What not to bring: Singled or plugged titans, Homemade airguns, "Doomsayers", Plugged Blasters designed to shoot anything larger than a mega dart (4B's/LBB/National Geographic blasters), and of course, anything that is painted like a firearm. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

If you've never been to a war, please read this, that way, you'll know what to expect as well as what's expected of you at the war.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8682

Please remember that it is December, it's going to be cold out. Please dress accordingly.

#257177 Dart Weight Regulations/range Testing

Posted by Homestarune on 24 November 2009 - 11:12 AM in Darts and Barrels

I have to agree with Split and Ice9. though I know where Equilox is coming from. The Effeminateenter of this "problem" is Chicago. I've seen what's coming out of there, and it's completely different than the wars Equilox and I have been at. The farthest shooting gun here is my crossbow.

People have used magstrikes and the like here and have been (for the most part) able to play on the same level as everyone else. Our arenas have always been conducive towards a balance between low, medium, and high rate-of-fire weaponry. As Split pointed out, that's not the case in other regions. As is, things are evenly balanced here, and I don't see the need to change the status quo. If the situation changes here where people start to use longer range high rate-of-fire blasters, then we'll do something about it. In other places, (namely Chicago) this is exactly what is needed.

#255930 Xbox Live Recreational Community House ---

Posted by Homestarune on 10 November 2009 - 11:28 PM in Off Topic

Nevermind what I said earlier, I bought MW2. If you haven't already gotten it, get it. My gamertag is "Pacifist ideal". Let me know that you're from the Haven in your friend request.

#255273 Xbox Live Recreational Community House ---

Posted by Homestarune on 04 November 2009 - 11:16 AM in Off Topic

I'm going to be getting MW2 on Christmas day, my mother went to the effort of preordering it and everything, only to make me and my brothers wait a month and a half for it. So, I'll be playing, just not at release. Unless of course I can convince her to gift something else. I'm also down for any of the Vidmasters.

#254567 When Do Nerf Blasters Become Too Powerful?

Posted by Homestarune on 25 October 2009 - 10:46 PM in Homemades

Since this whole topic pretty much shows how much Nerfhaven is failing, I'm going to copy and paste some stuff, I know that my intended audience doesn't give a damn, but what the hell.

This is EXACTLY what is going on, and is why so many people are commenting about breakages in post-war threads. The problem is that you have an influx of new members that are being led to believe that these super powerful guns make wars inherently better. The reality is that they don't. With the current attitude of oneupmanship, things are going to get to the point where the dynamic shifts even further and the best guns will all be homemades. In fact, as I think about it, most of the best guns either are homemades, or are hybrids. People have engineered and machined guns to the level that they've squeezed all the potential out of it. The reality is that we're not playing with plastic toys anymore.

People bitch about the most asinine things these days; so what if my gun doesn't meet your bullshit definition of "clean"? Guess what NIC, it doesn't matter, you're not better than anyone else because your brightly colored plastic toy looks prettier than everyone elses. People have come to expect guns to look like CaptainSlug made them. That's a completely bullshit standard to set.

Most of these arguments are due to the current community attitude. At the point where people have even larger RSCB/inline clips, and hit even greater ranges, I'm going to just quit, I'm not interested in playing speedball with nerf guns. The hopper clip is a prime example of this. What we're seeing is the compounded results of oneupmanship from the last few years. Take a reality check, if we're not there already, at the current rate we will be there soon. We already have the attitude. The dick waving contest is so ridiculous it's laughable if you take step back and look at what goes on here.

There have been a few things that have brought about this shift in the dynamics of how people play. From what I can tell, before the N-Strike line, no one really put all that much effort into modifying their blasters, and as a result there weren't really any spring guns besides the crossbow that were really pushing 100'. There were no 2k airflow mods, there were no 1500's with foot long brass barrels, and guns didn't rear load. Either your guns were single shot and still not quite hitting 100', or they were turreted and getting equal or lesser ranges. The RCSB system existed, but it was never heavily employed. Even if you did use it, it wasn't giving you much greater ranges than a normal 2k with a turret. As a result of all this, people were forced to play much closer. You can make a gun the night before the war that can do that. Because of this, it also was a whole lot less competitive. Guess what, nerf isn't a competitive sport, if you think so, play airsoft or paintball instead. Hell, some of you are already doing just that with your "nerf" guns.

That people didn't have to put as much effort into their guns was a crucial part of the dynamics. Now if you want something that preforms on par with everyone else, you either have to be able to machine and modify your blasters, or you have to drop over a hundred dollars on a +bow. This is part of the reason that Apoc had so many people with 4Bs. The 4B is really the only gun on the market that the average guy that is new to the hobby can pick up and use at a war and be successful with. Long term, this becomes detrimental.

I've gone up against someone who was using dual CPVC'd NFs, the player was quite good, he could dodge shots, and was quick on his feet and was accurate. However, I don't think he got more than a handful of hits on me the entire day. It wasn't because I was a far better player than him, it was because I was using a 1500 with foot long brass barrels and a nice dart/barrel fit. He was completely outclassed not by my abilities, but by my weaponry. You can argue that nerf has changed and that the technology has evolved. However, the technology has not evolved, it has instead mutated into something completely different than what it began as.

#254287 How To Resurrect A Crossbow

Posted by Homestarune on 21 October 2009 - 11:09 PM in Homemades

The stock isn't that heavy. It weighs a couple pounds. I've ran around with it during a ridiculously hot war and it wasn't at all problematic. Having extra weight on the back of the gun helps keep the gun steady and was part of the design. As far as gun weight distribution goes, it's an ideal setup.

I hate to say it, because i'm very impressed with your wood work. But the stock doesn't realy go with the lines of the gun,

Thank you for the compliment, now go jump in a fire.

#254211 How To Resurrect A Crossbow

Posted by Homestarune on 21 October 2009 - 02:00 PM in Homemades

Reserved since I have 30 combined pictures.

#254210 How To Resurrect A Crossbow

Posted by Homestarune on 21 October 2009 - 01:56 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Here it was.

Posted Image

I drilled a hole through the piece of wood in order to cut the inside of the stock out first. This was done in order to make the routing easier and reduce the chances of the wood chipping.

Posted Image

The stock with the insides cut out.

Posted Image

The routings were much easier to make this time around.

Posted Image

I made most of the cuts here.

Posted Image

I cut out the rest here and then made the cuts and sanding so that the mounting piece would fit.

Posted Image

Here were the parts laid on top of each other, I had some more work to do in order to make sure that they would fit into the crossbow and mirror each other.

Posted Image

I trimmed up the parts here and went to work making them more even with each other using a belt sander. Holes were drilled so that removable pegs would fit. These pegs keep the stock together.

Posted Image

You many remember that the mounting pieces were rather wide. They were sanded down and the stock was slid over them to make sure that everything fit accordingly. I was quite happy with myself at this point.

Posted Image

I made routings on the edges of the gun to make it more comfortable and over all sexier. I then used wood glue to attach to stock to the mounting pieces.

Posted Image

I then scuffed up a small bar of metal and the wood and then applied epoxy to add even more strength. Even before this, my stock wasn’t going anywhere except into people’s faces.

Posted Image

Even then I still wasn’t done. However, it was incredibly comfy and helped steady the gun quite well.

Posted Image

Internals were replaced Splitlip style and a cut down [k25] spring replaced the stock crossbow spring. After trying to compress a [k26] with my hands, I decided that I’d rather not break my gun. This gun is loud as is when fired.

I took this gun to a war as it was in the last picture (I did have a speedloader for it) and it was pretty awesome. I had lost one of my catch springs so it didn’t always catch, but when it did I got some sweet long distance kills. However I felt that having only one shot was preventing me from making plays.

Posted Image

I dremeled out a hole of the front of the shell and integrated a 2k. I replaced the stock tubing with vinyl tubing. A piece of metal tubing connector is attached directly to the tank and the tubing is held in place with epoxy. I used a pretty heavy wire, on the key ring. I’m quite confident that this setup will hold for quite some time.

Posted Image

All together now!

Since I know people are going to pester me with this question the Crossbow maxes out at 120’. The integration gets a bit over 100’. I may eventually get around to painting it, but for now I'm not doing anything.

The stock is very comfortable and helps steady the gun incredibly well. The curve in the stock lets me quickly lower and raise the gun for a smooth transition from when I'm running to when I bring it up. Trigger to stock distance is equivalent to the distance from trigger to stock on a rifle. This was done to address the common complaint that the stock on the crossbow is too short. The wood halves make an effective "ironsight" straight down the barrel. In other words, even if it's not the prettiest looking, I love it and I'm sure it will serve me well in many wars to come.

Questions? Comments?

#254209 How To Resurrect A Crossbow

Posted by Homestarune on 21 October 2009 - 01:55 PM in Homemades

A few months ago a completely screwed up crossbow was sold on Ebay. Some dumbass bought this crossbow for way too much money thinking that they could make a worthy weapon out of it. I was the dumbass that bought it up. Here’s how I turned a broken toy into an effective weapon that could hold its own on the field of battle.

Credit goes to Split for discovering the replacement plunger tube.

Posted Image

This was what I bought. I had fun screwing around with shooting megas at my bedroom wall. The novelty of that however got old really quickly. Hey, it was marked as “heavily modified” so it couldn’t be a total loss, could it?

Posted Image

No surprise there, I suppose I just wasn’t awesome enough to realize what “heavy mods” had been skillfully preformed on this. My mortal eyes can only see a level 2 modification. That’s probably being generous all things considered.

Posted Image

I immediately set to work and cut some aluminum and steel to reinforce the internals. (these have long since been re-worked)

Posted Image

After that, I got to work creating a CPVC coupler inside the gun. I don’t have any pictures of that fully assembled. You’re not missing anything out on anything, you’ve all seen plenty of mediocre crossbows. I managed to get about of 70’ out of this. Needless to say, I wasn’t satisfied with this. A complete rework would be required to make it satisfactory. There was of course the problem of the stock. One of the best things about the crossbow is its comfort and ease of use.

From the moment I saw this gun online I wanted to see if an effective and comfortable stock could be created. So I decided on a method that to my knowledge had never been used before.

Posted Image

I wanted to see if it could actually be done. I also had a lot of free time and I was bored. Some people thought that I was crazy. I looked at a bunch of pictures online and broke out the pencils and curves. So began my four day project to create a wooden stock

Posted Image

I cut out the area that I had traced around.

Posted Image

Next, I traced out the area for the plunger rod and handle.

Posted Image

I then cut that area out as well.

Posted Image

Here’s a picture of the pieces that I had made beforehand to attach the stock to the gun.

Posted Image

I then used a router to make the necessary grooves for the plunger handle.

Posted Image

I then marked out what parts needed to be cut in order for them to be attached.

Posted Image

Things were beginning to come together.

Posted Image

And the other side.

Posted Image

I decided to trim things down for more aesthetic appeal, not that it was ever possible in the first place.

Posted Image

It was time to make the second half. I traced the mirror image of the first stock onto the block of wood