Zack Dorris's Content

There have been 35 items by Zack Dorris (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#342227 retaliator barrel with secret strike integration

Posted by Zack Dorris on 01 October 2014 - 09:09 PM in Modifications

Okay first off if you want to post write ups you'll want some pictures. I suggest signing up fir imgur or photobucket. Second of all I suggest something stronger than hot glue. Try epoxy that is what I find to be the best long-term adhesive. I suggest for am integration a roughcut or strongarm. The sspb is more of a last resort in your pocket style blaster like the jolt. If you were doing this for fun to try to get into modding kudos to you. Gotta start somewhere. Hope that helped.

#341272 Modded gun idea: Revolver

Posted by Zack Dorris on 17 August 2014 - 01:50 PM in Modifications

It's a little hard to visualize but what would you use to rotate the cylinder? Would it rotate automatically or by hand.? Maybe a prototype would help or a drawing.

#340637 Elite Alpha Trooper springs and barrel queries

Posted by Zack Dorris on 22 July 2014 - 08:16 PM in Modifications

Thanks for the reply,

Orange springs seem rather weak at 5 kilos? I'd really like to get some velocity (160 ~ 180 f/s?) from the EAT as otherwise I may as well just use my 180 motor/lipo Rayven. Am I expecting too much here?

Yeah a little for the stock internals. If you get OMW kits you might be pushing it a little. If you are wanting a rifle esque blaster I would try a modded longshot. If you can find an O MW immortal kit. That would take a hefty load. Honestly the EAT gets great ranges with those O MW kit soon to be kits installed. Hope that helps.

#340629 Elite Alpha Trooper springs and barrel queries

Posted by Zack Dorris on 22 July 2014 - 04:03 PM in Modifications

Orange mod works sell kits for nerf blasters that are high quality. They currently have a stage 1 kit with a stage 2 kit available for preorder. That will at least be a start. As for a stock a raider stock will do you well.

#340559 Front Page Update: Mid-Summer

Posted by Zack Dorris on 20 July 2014 - 08:45 AM in News

I always have a springer pistol on me or I will use a less pwered shot to hit someone up close. I have only been barrel taped 3 times. twice was with stock barrels which wasnt to bad. The third was a cvpc barrel. It hurt not badly but if it had hit somewhere on my body other than my arm it could have done some damage.

That is what I think should be the norm to use a sidearm for distances under 20' and to tap. Saves pain but would take longer to draw said pistol and fire.

#340553 Front Page Update: Mid-Summer

Posted by Zack Dorris on 19 July 2014 - 10:01 PM in News

I removed barrel taps from the rules at my wars because they seemed to be causing more problems than they fixed. With modern darts, it's not a really big deal to get shot point-blank.

I see where you are coming from. In the wars I have with my friends most of them use stock blasters or lightly modded ones and this isn't an issue but as they learn how to make nic worthy blasters it becomes more of an issue. It basically comes down to get shot point blank or hope the person is smart enough to know how hard is too hard. In a larger nic war I would say no period. But in a smaller environment you can get people to use a magical thing called common sense. Then you wouldn't have an as big liability that someone could be injured.

#340544 Front Page Update: Mid-Summer

Posted by Zack Dorris on 19 July 2014 - 10:56 AM in News

Honestly I would rather have taps but you would have to limit how hard you can touch someone with you barell. I would rather be lightly tapped by a piece of plumbing than be shot point blank by a blaster. Obviously there would be the one douche who would try to bend the lightly tap rule and try to knock someone out with their barell.

#339991 EAT help

Posted by Zack Dorris on 04 July 2014 - 10:23 AM in Modifications

Thanks! The internals like exploded out when I opened it. I'll try that and see if it fixes it.
FIXED THANKS

#339989 EAT help

Posted by Zack Dorris on 04 July 2014 - 09:37 AM in Modifications

Hello fellow nerfers I recently received an EAT in a trade and I removed the locks and ARs. I have one slight problem though. I think I took out a lock that shouldn't have been taken out. Here is a picture of my internals now.
Posted Image
Please tell me if I took out a lock that shouldn't have been because my mag falls out when I prime back the blaster. Thanks in advance.

#339822 Nerf Roughcut Coupler Mod

Posted by Zack Dorris on 28 June 2014 - 09:03 AM in Modifications

Langley, what mav said. Astetics wise the roughcut is more comfortable I'm my opinion to a nitefinder. You are right about the plungers the are about the same size. The springs are way weaker to a nitefinder a stock springs but until someone make steel gears you're stuck with the stock springs. The only problem with doing this mod is the big gaping hole in the front of the blaster.

#339814 Nerf Roughcut Coupler Mod

Posted by Zack Dorris on 27 June 2014 - 09:30 PM in Modifications

Nice mod, but I can't help but feel that it takes away from the effectiveness of the blaster. I feel that the main purpose of the rough cut is the ability to spray darts. What are the ranges? Because you can't really replace the springs on a roughcut, I feel it will never be as effective as a nitefinder. Other than that, you achieved what you were trying to do quite nicely, so kudos on that.

Thanks! I was considering trying to see if like a double RSCB or Hopper would work but it probably wouldn't work because not enough air volume. You are right about the stock roughcuts ability to spray darts but if I ever master keyed this to my rapid strike I fell it would be more effective for accuracy and not spraying darts everywhere and hoping you hit something.
Edit: Ranges are better than expected. I am getting about 15-20' above what a stock roughcuts can do. I don't have actual numbers because my 100' tape measure is at my cousins. I just wanted an improvement in ranges and it worked.

#339812 Nerf Roughcut Coupler Mod

Posted by Zack Dorris on 27 June 2014 - 08:40 PM in Modifications

What other benefits other than using stefans?

Well....the range is improved I haven't had an opportunity to test this in a war yet. Me and my friends don't war again for awhile. I mostly did this to be able to use Stefan's and to improve the range.

#339810 Nerf Roughcut Coupler Mod

Posted by Zack Dorris on 27 June 2014 - 07:46 PM in Modifications

I was recently looking at the 2013 Mod Contest results and I noticed on Greiver2112's roughcut 2 to 1 mod Langley said if he used 2 couplers it would be like a pump action double Nitefinder. I decided to try that, and I succeeded. So here you go.
MATERIALS
2x 1/2 CPVC couplers
2x 3/4 CPVC couplers
1x nerf Elite Roughcut
1x Hot Glue Gun
2x Hot Glue Sticks
Electrical Tape
Hammer
Dremel and Cutting bit
Thats about it. Lets start.
Posted Image
Here is your internals. Take the barrell assembly out by turning the white peice to seperate the assembly from the slide and trigger.
Posted Image
Now take the barrells of of the plunger assembly. It should just slide off. Next take your 3/4 and 1/2" couplers and wrap the 1/2" couplers in E-Tape until you have to hammer them into the 3/4" couplers. They wont come out when you pull your barrells off the coupler. Try and make them even.
Posted Image
Now take your plungers and hot glue the coupler combination to the front of the plunger assembly. I know there are better options to hotglue but I only have hotglue at them moment. Expoxy would be better, but like I said I have none.
Posted Image
Now here comes the fun part. Take your dremel and cut the shell like so. This is so the Plunger assembly will fit in the shell.
Posted Image
Put the barrel assembly back on the rest of the internals. The white piece you turned earlier to get the plungers off is a pain to put back on. You have to turn it and push the orange pieces apart a bit to get it in the groove.
When you put the shell back on and screw it back together it should look like this.
Posted Image
The whole blaster
Posted Image
Comments and Criticism welcome.

#339684 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Zack Dorris on 21 June 2014 - 04:42 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
This is my fire strike I just finished. It has th ears removed and the shell minimized. The minimization is not terribly clean because I used a Dremel but it satisfies so yep.

#339523 Q&A with Hasbro Engineers

Posted by Zack Dorris on 12 June 2014 - 05:18 PM in General Nerf

I have a few questions for the hasbro team.
1) Will they make refills available for the demolishers grenade launcher ammo?
2) Will hasbro make more blasters that use the ammo from the grenade launcher/ mini titan?
3) Will they make rebelle blaster that use the n-strike mags? I think that would make the rebelle line 100 time better than just with turrets and single loaders.
4) Do they dislike the idea of nerfers modding their blasters both NIC and non NIC nerfers like casual backyard nerfers.
5) Did the thought of nerfers modifying their blasters make them come up with the elite line to try to satisfy our need for constantly trying to raise the bar.

#339353 raider not catching

Posted by Zack Dorris on 04 June 2014 - 01:48 PM in Modifications

ok so i removed every thing and reasembiled acording to internals picture, now it catches but it is very hard to get it to catch. like its a smooth prime back but it dosent catch unless i pull fairly hard on the priming handle then it clicks like a notch on a +bow and then it catches

Did you upgrade the spring? If you did the spring might be too powerful or too long and putting too much stress on the catch making the prime rough.

#339347 raider not catching

Posted by Zack Dorris on 04 June 2014 - 11:57 AM in Modifications

ok ill try that, ive done several raiders and never had any problems like this

Maybe you got a dud? I don't know about how often they occur but I know they can happen.

#339338 raider not catching

Posted by Zack Dorris on 03 June 2014 - 04:00 PM in Modifications

One thing I did was to get a picture of the stock internals online and compare every little thing to the stock for besides your upgrades. One thing that is important is to focus on the small parts of the blaster and make sure they are all lined up perfectly. Hope that helps .

#339250 Dart Tag Strikefire Write Up

Posted by Zack Dorris on 31 May 2014 - 04:02 PM in Modifications

Personally, I go for drilling out ARs instead of making messy cuts and then using a not-glue to try to keep the two halves together in the end. But, that's just me.

I have tried drilling out ARs before and I just drilled a hole in the plunger and I find it easier for me to just cut and glue but thanks for the suggestion. I actually used a different head for my Dremel instead of the wheel blade. I thought I would see what it could do. Thanks though. I might try drilling my next one if I find my orange one. It is currently MIA.

#339249 Dart Tag Strikefire Write Up

Posted by Zack Dorris on 31 May 2014 - 03:56 PM in Modifications

Good write up for a first post.

Standard basic upgrades.

The Strikefire is actually one of my favorite stock pistols for wars cause it could fire any dart you picked up off the floor.

Idk if you are looking for ideas or sugesttions but a bit of Teflon tape under the o-ring and some lube would probably help you get a bit further. Also if you have access to other springs a replacement would be helpful.

I tried an upgrade spring, but I decided to go with the pennies because the blaster started to creak a little with the spring I chose and I didn't have another that would fit it. Like I said I am just using it for an ace in the hole style blaster. Also I am out of lube because I used the rest of my tube on my nitefinder and need to order more from OMW and my local stores don't have the right stuff. Thanks for the comments!

#339246 Dart Tag Strikefire Write Up

Posted by Zack Dorris on 31 May 2014 - 02:25 PM in Modifications

Okay so I always loved the tac rail connector on the Strikefire and wanted to use it for a last resort on my bottom tac rail on my Retaliator, but I hated how it fired about 15'. I decided to try to make that at least 25' and I would be happy. My ranges after doing this were 24' 24' 25' 26' 26' with the new Suction Darts and 22' 22' 25' 27' 30' with regular Elite Darts. I was pretty happy. Let's begin!
MATERIALS
Hot glue gun
Strikefire
Screwdriver that you use to open Nerf Blasters
Pliers
Solid surface to work on
2 pennies
Posted Image
When you open up your blaster and this is what you should find.
Posted Image
Take your front barrel/ plunger and cut it like this with you dremel or other method of shredding plastic at the seam.
Posted Image
Take out the AR and hot-glue it back together like so.
Posted Image
Pretty good for not using a hot glue gun for over a year.
Next take 2 pennies and only 2. the blaster wont catch correctly if you use more than 2. Put them behind the spring.
Posted Image
Finally put your blaster back together. Looks stock on the outside.
Posted Image
Good Job. This was my first write up and I would appreciate comments and constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.

#339221 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Zack Dorris on 29 May 2014 - 01:02 PM in Modifications

Here is my custom Nitefinder I just finished it yesterday. I actually started this a year ago and never finished, but I finally painted it and added the coupler. . It is a clears series Nitefinder with a base coat of black and a top coat of white. the Nitefinder is minimized and the shell was dremeled out for the coupler. It has a 1/2 CPVC coupler and a 2 spring combo of a Buzzbee Hawk spring and a spring from a broken airsoft gun. To top it all off I added a crap ton of E-Tape for the grip and to support the coupler for that extra strength.It gets very nice ranges for a Nitefinder I have gotten an average of about 65-70' most were in between 60-80' flat. I used 3.5-4" speedloaders for barrels. It finally quit raining so I could test it banded and it his 100' most were between 90-100' Btw that's was with a glue dome not a slug
Edit I hate wind. I retested my ranges and the farthest I got was 87' must have been the wind when it hit 100'
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
That's all for now. may add more later.

#338905 TR-27 GRYPHON - CR-18 Rapidstrike Mod

Posted by Zack Dorris on 12 May 2014 - 10:40 PM in Modifications

Wow, you have completely made the rapid strike just amazing. I am speechless with all the time and effort you put into this. I hope in the future someone maybe you does something like this to a Stryfe. Keep up the great work man. Your workmanship is amazing.

#337858 Spring replacement for Nite-Finder

Posted by Zack Dorris on 29 March 2014 - 10:12 PM in Modifications

I used a spring from a broken colt airsoft gun for mine and I get good results so if you have a broken airsoft gun use the spring.

#337851 What mods should I do on my Nerf elite aplha trooper cs 12

Posted by Zack Dorris on 29 March 2014 - 08:55 PM in General Nerf

Hey guys I just picked up my nerf elite alpha trooper any I was wondering what mods I should do like the spring addition and where to get them
also I want to know the best stock to put on it that is available in store and is an excess.

This type of threads are allowed but if you look up the eat on google or this sites search bar you should find good results.

#337432 Question about external mod.

Posted by Zack Dorris on 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM in Site Feedback

If it's a picture/description, it goes in the picture thread.
If it's a writeup, start a new topic with it, or edit this one.

Ok thank you

#337427 Question about external mod.

Posted by Zack Dorris on 05 March 2014 - 09:45 PM in Site Feedback

Yes, why not? It's a mod therefore it's accepted. Although I don't know if your referring to post it in the Picture Thread or on the site as a Forum post. I'd think both are acceptable.

Thanks exit I was going to hopefully do my first wrtue up with it , but I might just put it in the picture thread it's pretty simple. I'm sure most people could figure it out.

#337424 Question about external mod.

Posted by Zack Dorris on 05 March 2014 - 09:19 PM in Site Feedback

I was wondering if I could post an external mod for a longstrike. I made my longstrike like a musket and I made a ramrod that works and it is attached to the barrell extension tactical rail. I was going to make a write up for it and I was wondering if stuff like this was allowed?

#337145 Possible war in southern Illinois

Posted by Zack Dorris on 19 February 2014 - 07:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I may be able to with some friends. If not, you could always make a fairly short trip to one of our Missouri wars this summer/spring.

Ok but I'm 13 so I can't drive so maybe just maybe if I'm in mo sometime I'll be there of your close to where I am.

#337020 Possible war in southern Illinois

Posted by Zack Dorris on 13 February 2014 - 04:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Looks like you're 4 hours awY from me so I will have to pass.

No problem no harm done.

#337004 Possible war in southern Illinois

Posted by Zack Dorris on 12 February 2014 - 09:03 PM in Nerf Wars

I am planning on having a few wars this summer in the park in my town or in the woods behind my house.
I live 30 minutes north of Marion in Benton for you guys and girl in Bloomington.
At the park there is bathrooms. There is multiple playgrounds and a big field by one of the bigger ones.
At my house there are trees. If you want to make the trek or just ride a four wheeler you can go in my pole barn bathroom.
PM me if you want to help organize or some.

Edit: I am bringing friends if I have one. I have many loaners for people to borrow. Just tell me if you want to bring friends and I have blasters the can use.
Also homeades are allowed just no exposed metal on the tips. Hot glue domes are allowed. Just don't bring something that can seriously hurt anyone.

#336135 Hopper Question

Posted by Zack Dorris on 28 December 2013 - 10:16 PM in Darts and Barrels

Hoppers don't work on nitefinders because they don't have enough air volume. It is also extremely hard to make an RSCB even work on one. The only kind of clip system like that that works on a nitefinder would be an inline clip. It can't be a very big inline clip, but nitefinders can take small ones. A hopper would work on a nitefinder rifle though.

Ok thank you I thought I should ask before I buy or make one because I'm not experienced with homeades.

#336131 Hopper Question

Posted by Zack Dorris on 28 December 2013 - 08:35 PM in Darts and Barrels

I didnt know to put this in mods or this but here i go.

I was wondering if i could use a hopper on a nite finder or can i only use one on a rifle.
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

#336061 Nerfers in Southern Illionis

Posted by Zack Dorris on 26 December 2013 - 12:06 PM in General Nerf

I think she means Central Illinois. I am from central, too. I host wars in Bloomington, IL during the summers if you can make the journey.

I live in Benton 30 minutes from Marion.

#336018 Nerfers in Southern Illionis

Posted by Zack Dorris on 23 December 2013 - 06:38 PM in General Nerf

I was wondering if anyone was interested in having wars in Southern Illinois.