andistardust's Content

There have been 2 items by andistardust (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#331628 Tampon Darts (yes it is true)

Posted by andistardust on 06 July 2013 - 01:54 PM in Darts and Barrels

Wow! Thank you all for the information!

I don't already own the tampons I plan to use. I was considering using OB's because they are small and compact and they are wrapped in plastic so there wouldn't be the risk of them absorbing anything and expanding in the barrel. However, if the string will help them fly then the wrapper bonus is moot. They come in a variety of sizes, but I think the Regular or Super are probably the closest in diameter to nerf darts. Here is a link to a photo of this tampon.

Just to be clear, this is a performance piece so I don't need the tampons to fly that far, I would say 6-10 feet is fine. It is more for the effect of shooting tampons into the audience.

Also, although I appreciate the tutorial on making my own snapbow, which I find intriguing, I would rather use an existing nerf gun because the performance piece references Rambo and I looking at nerf guns that look like machine guns or similar.

Another question- rather than modifying a gun, could I modify Nerf darts? I noticed the darts have little plastic pieces on the tip. Could I remove the foam and attach a tampon that are a similar diameter and length? Obviously this loses some of the effect of shooting just tampons out of the gun, but if it is otherwise impossible than could this be an option?

Again, thank you all for your time and helping me troubleshoot this

#331612 Tampon Darts (yes it is true)

Posted by andistardust on 06 July 2013 - 03:27 AM in Darts and Barrels

Hello Nerf folks,

I am a performance artist who has been commissioned to do a piece that requires me to shoot tampons out of a gun. Naturally, nerf guns came to mind. I have been on many forums (and variations of google searches) to find out if shooting tampons out of a nerf gun is possible and I haven't found any solid information on the matter. I have also looked through some of the homemade ammo pages out there, however, I don't necessarily want to make ammo, I would rather load the gun with tampons.

The tampons I plan to use are actually smaller in diameter than standard nerf darts, although shorter. Does the length of the ammo have an impact on the gun's ability to shoot? Are there certain guns that are better suited for alternative ammo, like a tampon? Is this plan crazy because it would require too many gun modifications that is impossible for a nerf newbie like me?

Any and all information/suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!