Tangerle's Content

There have been 86 items by Tangerle (Search limited from 04-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#341993 Looking for a wood like material

Posted by Tangerle on 16 September 2014 - 09:42 PM in Homemades

Thanks everyone for replying, I'll probably start using cutting boards from now on. And might use that pvc wood some other time as well.

#341661 Cheap Paint Alternative

Posted by Tangerle on 01 September 2014 - 03:09 PM in General Nerf

The Rust Oleum they sell at home depot works really good for me and is $3 a can and they last a while. I find them to be a really good deal for how long they last. Most of the cheaper spray paints will work if you sand down your blaster with some fine grit sand paper.

#341660 Looking for a wood like material

Posted by Tangerle on 01 September 2014 - 03:00 PM in Homemades

I've been looking around for a material similar to wood but plastic and can't seem to find anything. I'm looking for a cheap material that is ~1/2" thick and is less than $10 for a square foot. I know that wood is commonly bought in 1" thickness and plywood in 3/4, but I don't need it to be that thick. I find myself needing raw material like this constantly and I never have any available. Something like acrylic but around half the price. The reason to not use wood is aesthetics half of the time and the lack of precision/reliability it has. I don't have much money and that's the major problem. Also if I had the money to afford more expensive materials I would much rather spend it on other things. I won't be thinking about a job for a couple months so I'm pretty tight with spending. Any McMaster Carr part number, url, bundle, or anything like that I'd consider, so If there's an $80 bundle for some material that's the same price to volume ratio I'm looking for I'd certainly consider saving up. Even if there's something 2'^2(1/4") for $20 I'd certainly like to know.

#340928 Apocalypse 2014

Posted by Tangerle on 02 August 2014 - 09:30 PM in Nerf Wars

Orange did, though there was some controversy and Langley some people on orange got shot but still carried the balls to the basket.

Oh, thanks. Yeah that round was pretty crazy. Trying to hold people from rushing while people were all around the forest was pretty intense.

#340924 Apocalypse 2014

Posted by Tangerle on 02 August 2014 - 08:56 PM in Nerf Wars

This war was great. Apocalypse continues to be one of the things I look forward to each summer. I got some pink foam which is cool and I came back with many of my darts. Each round was very fun especially the pistol/rocket/missile round towards the end, freeze tag, and carpe was really fun too. Also the rain wasn't as bad. Thanks to everyone involved in hosting this and making this happen. Oh and which team won the carpe round?

#339854 SoCen PA Battle 2.0

Posted by Tangerle on 30 June 2014 - 12:27 AM in Nerf Wars

My friend and I could probably go again. I'll ask him tomorrow.

#337047 Nerf recon not working

Posted by Tangerle on 14 February 2014 - 05:18 PM in Modifications

disregard, my mistake

#334577 Hell After Halloween ('Murika, Fuck Yeah)

Posted by Tangerle on 07 October 2013 - 05:58 PM in Nerf Wars

Holy shit, I'm going to beg my dad to go if it's near Pittsburgh. I could possibly go.

#334310 Inexpensive Chronograph

Posted by Tangerle on 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM in General Nerf

Or you can build one? It's just IR emitters and detectors.
I just posted a homemade chrony on reddit.

Well mainly people who aren't capable or lazy could it would be better to buy. People would have to go through a long process to find and or buy the materials. Though some people easily could. I have most of the materials myself to build one at my house.

#334307 Inexpensive Chronograph

Posted by Tangerle on 28 September 2013 - 03:12 PM in General Nerf

These work, my school has these. You just need to not be unintelligent.

http://www.alibaba.c...Sensor_for.html

#333965 Buying Foam

Posted by Tangerle on 12 September 2013 - 09:25 PM in Darts and Barrels

I'm pretty slow (Average wait from e-mail to ship is about 1 week), but I do get to filling my orders eventually. Not-emailing me doesn't speed up the process.

Well I'm not really interested in buying your foam unless I would want to try to make some kind of safe dart. Basically I would email you about it if I ever got bored and curious about safe darts and how well they work. Oh and It's really cool how you give that foam away.

#333951 Buying Foam

Posted by Tangerle on 11 September 2013 - 10:11 PM in Darts and Barrels

If you are willing to make safer darts, you can contact Kane to buy a pink MHA foam dart making kit. Or you can contact Snickers and ask him about his beige and white foam, I believe he will sell it in 100' lengths.

That would certainly be a considered option. 100' foot lengths are great and that's good that there are people selling white foam. It would depend on the price though.

From my experience, yes. Definitely yes. The paint wears off and it all ends up in your barrel/on your seal. On someall of my painted darts you can't even tell that they were painted before or just have speckles from other darts.

Just for your information, I contacted Kane via email about MHA kits on the 7th and haven't yet had a reply.

That makes sense I figured that that happens

Interesting, I wouldn't email Kane about the MHA foam for a while

^One guy at Armageddon sprayed his darts, but he very peculiar foam, seemed to have air gun fit in CPVC? If you remember, his foam was pink and silver, I believe, with single BB glue domes.

Does Mod Man even still sell red foam?

It's good to know that people have tried spray painting darts. With such a loose fit the paint probably comes off less frequent.

#333950 Buying Foam

Posted by Tangerle on 11 September 2013 - 09:58 PM in Darts and Barrels

Best Materials sells their beige foam by the foot here, so you can order whatever length you like. This stuff is supposed to somewhat fat, so you may have to use different barrel material. But it's also supposed to vary quite a bit in the roll, and you could also stretch it to fit whatever barrels you have.
You could also purchase some of Mod Man's red foam.

Yea that is very cheap and seems certainly like a good option. Do you know anything about shipping, how they cut it, or how drastic it varies?

I'd recommend getting the Best Materials foam, it's great stuff. I started off with Frost King foam, and it's the worst foam I know of to date, I might have just gotten a bad batch, but I remember thinking about getting it in 5/8" diameter, just to see if it had a better fit. I ended up using it for what it was designed for. A gap filler. I switched to Best Materials foam, and I'm still using it. As DartSlinger said, it's big stuff, but it's relatively cheap, and it works well. I wouldn't recommend spray-painting your darts at all, I've personally never done it, but I can almost guarantee you that you'll gunk up your barrel. EDIT: What Naturalman7 said.

I specifically buy the less shitty rolls. I've had good rolls and really bad rolls. Usually the darker they are the better. As for the Best Materials foam, yea that is very cheap and seems certainly like a good option and do you know anything about shipping, how they cut it, or how drastic it varies?

Also how well does this stuff fit in 1/2" schedule 80?

#333936 Buying Foam

Posted by Tangerle on 11 September 2013 - 03:28 PM in Darts and Barrels

I have been using frost king foam backer rod to make my darts for the past two years. I only buy the dense, soft rolls and get them at home depot and true value. I know people spend around $80-$100 to buy 2500' online but I can't spend that kind of money. I was wondering if there was somewhere with tighter foam (like white or beige) in spools of say 100, 250, or even less for a reasonable price. I've been getting tired of not having foam when I need to make darts and I want easier to see darts that fire better for my barrel material because whenever I fire slightly tighter darts they fire further than my darts slightly. I am also wondering if anyone has found notably better fitting foam for an average 1/2" cpvc barrel. Finally, does spray painting darts tend to leave spray paint in barrels? I am not asking for a fbr seller right now, but I would like to know the status of what foam is out there.

Thank you if you reply in advance.

#333656 SoCen PA Battle

Posted by Tangerle on 02 September 2013 - 02:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Here's a video

#333442 SoCen PA Battle

Posted by Tangerle on 25 August 2013 - 10:45 AM in Nerf Wars

This war was awesome. My two snaps were shooting very shitty the day before which worried me but they shot fine, hoppered too.

Pros:
hotdogs
the super glue baking soda repair I did when I got there fixed the handle on my snap

cons:
my blaster broke

Oh and my friend Christian had a fun time. Here's what I use for snap handles in case you're wondering 8646K39.

I'll make a video for my Youtube channel and I'll post it on here later.

#333373 NH Homemade Contest: Design and Write-up a Noob's first Homemade

Posted by Tangerle on 22 August 2013 - 10:35 PM in Homemades

In the past, contests have been set up over just a couple of months in the hopes that people will suddenly come up with innovative new ideas where they wouldn't have otherwise. I figure that many of you would come up with new or modified designs over the next year anyway, and I want to give you an incentive to write them up thoroughly and present them in a noob friendly context. Also giving you until June gives you plenty of time to actually test your designs. If someone slips in a last minute submission and the judges are skeptical of it's reliability or durability, you loose the chance to prove yourself. Finally it gives you time to get feedback on your writeup. I want you to do well, because it's better for the site if someone really earns a win in this contest. I'm willing to help you get there if you've got the potential.

That makes sense. The reason I say how long of a time it is is because I don't have a scroll saw and most of my money is either going towards building a computer or nerf. Seeing that you can enter in multiple things, the fact that I built a snap two days ago with ease, and fixed up another, I'll probably try to come up with a few designs. I already have a few ideas but me knowing what it's like being a noob can make something really easy to build. This is a great idea and will really help out early homemade building.

#333327 NH Homemade Contest: Design and Write-up a Noob's first Homemade

Posted by Tangerle on 21 August 2013 - 12:10 PM in Homemades

June is a long time. I already have an idea I could try. The only problem is coming up with the simplest catch design I can.

#332986 I'm Hoping to Avoid Feeling Overwhelmed

Posted by Tangerle on 13 August 2013 - 08:19 PM in Homemades

I know how you feel. I have a snap I built and am currently working on a pumpsnap. My advice, build something that works. Generally (mods specifically) trying my own thing normally doesn't work but what other people have made (and work) do work (when correctly replicated). Homemade ideas work but the working concept is needed to be built to work as the idea. You need to have a lot more common sense than knowledge though what knowledge you do know you have to be able to apply to building things. Just know that you want to keep things simple and later optimize. I'm on the same boat you are but further off if that makes sense.

#332939 SoCen PA Battle

Posted by Tangerle on 12 August 2013 - 08:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Their is no reason that I can't make it as of right now and I will be bringing a friend along.

#332827 Nerf Mega Centurion Mod

Posted by Tangerle on 09 August 2013 - 05:15 PM in Modifications

That's good that you, being the first person to, posted this for people who don't know what they're doing. Someone should make a polycarb catch that would be able to work with a nylon rod and put a direct plunger in one of these. This is the best most recent gun shell space wise for doing something like that.

#332826 CPVC or PETG for barrels?

Posted by Tangerle on 09 August 2013 - 05:11 PM in Darts and Barrels

You're darts are probably too loose. If it didn't move at all, you most likely have a bad seal. Try streamlines, they fit (to test it out not to normally use). PETG is only practical with some blasters or with tighter fitting darts. It could unlikely be too tight. I hate working with 3Bs, you might want to wrap some e-tape around a barrel and put it on another blaster with a coupler.

#332805 Apocalypse 2013

Posted by Tangerle on 08 August 2013 - 10:03 PM in Nerf Wars

Just a small thing I put together. Most of it is war footage but I do have an intro for other people who see it.

#332765 Apocalypse 2013

Posted by Tangerle on 07 August 2013 - 06:25 PM in Nerf Wars

I have a little bit of footage that I'll post. My dad recorded it with my iPhone 5 (landscape) so it's 1080p and additional footage with his iPhone 4s which should be the same. I want to put the footage together though first.

#332691 Apocalypse 2013

Posted by Tangerle on 04 August 2013 - 03:42 PM in Nerf Wars

I thought that this was a very fun war. I think there were more people last year, though this year was more fun (in my opinion). I thought the rain didn't mean anything but at least it wasn't hot out. Though I found myself picking up and shooting darts off the ground a lot. I was really surprised that the police came over. I also though that the game types were very well chosen and were very fun.

#332197 Another Simple 3D Printed Blaster

Posted by Tangerle on 21 July 2013 - 06:25 PM in Homemades

Crossbow shells?!

That is what the nerf community needs.

You really didn't need to resurrect a thread from March (which itself was a necro) to say that. Please watch the last post date.

#332182 Painting help!

Posted by Tangerle on 20 July 2013 - 11:38 PM in Modifications

If you can only get shitty spray paint I would recommend sanding though it might need sanding anyway really only if it's glossy. Personally I use Rust Oleum because it's inexpensive and works as well as krylon fusion. You should buy it at home depot because you will have more of a selection there. Or if you're really hardcore you could use vinyl dye. Using tape will make you paint jobs seem more professional then they really are. Also using more than one color looks a lot better than just a single color (details not included). Buying two cans is a good option especially if one is a more diverse color that you can use in many other paint jobs (such as black, white, or sliver). Many people have said this before, less is best. Do small 5 or 10 minute coats several times and them move on. It's also good to do a barely visible base coat with flat black (or what ever else you can use) before painting anything and wait 2 or 3 minutes for it to dry. As for details, acrylic isn't a very good option and I think krylon has some detail based brush paint for use on plastic. You also will have to use tricks to make it look like you aren't using a brush to get a good effect (such as having a cluster of paint on you brush and lightly painting the area). You should also get a can of clear matte finish to help against scratches and make it appear as one solid paint job. Finally don't add too many details, just enough to notice. As for the 18 years old to purchase thing, yes you must be 18 or older to buy spray paint so get an adult to go with you to complete the transaction and give them the money. Oh and paint should work on any nerf gun rather it be a pistol such as a nitefinder or a completely different blaster such as a magstrike as long as you have the right sized brush. Once you get more into it you can start to do more challenging effects and use harder techniques.

#332177 NerfHaven / Apoc Official Team Bandannas

Posted by Tangerle on 20 July 2013 - 09:04 PM in Site Feedback

Im going with orange because it matches the flagging tape we will have at apoc, and I don't want people sweating red dye all over themselves at the war. Red is unlikely but other colors may become available if this works out.

That makes sense. Orange still looks good anyway and I am interested to see any possible new colors.

#332169 NerfHaven / Apoc Official Team Bandannas

Posted by Tangerle on 20 July 2013 - 07:04 PM in Site Feedback

You should make red bandannas, those would look cool. I'm most likely buying one as soon as they come out.

#331355 Apocalypse 2013

Posted by Tangerle on 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I live across the street of Joe Palaia Park but I cant go because i have no powerful enough blasters....

I played 7 rounds last year with just a lightly modded nite finder I modded 5 minutes before I left to go at 4:30 in the morning. I had more fun than I have ever had before in my entire life. Do some small mod to a longshot, 3B, or something. Shoot for 90ft and if you fire on an angle you'll do fine.

#330320 Dart-related Nerf war accidents and dart safety tests

Posted by Tangerle on 28 May 2013 - 08:24 PM in Darts and Barrels

When I first started modding I singled a titan but did it horribly (I put a coupler on the end of the stock barrel creating and absurd amount of deadspace). I shot my friend with it from like 15 feet away with a streamline around his waist. He had a penny sized deep purple welt-bruise for a couple of days.

#329240 South Central PA Nerf War May 25

Posted by Tangerle on 01 May 2013 - 09:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll try to go.

#328639 Compiling a list of air pump type guns

Posted by Tangerle on 08 April 2013 - 09:13 PM in General Nerf

Supermaxx series

#328419 F-CAG

Posted by Tangerle on 30 March 2013 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

My immediate reaction was "WOW! that looks sick!". That's awesome.

#328325 Nitefinder Rifle 2.0 with a "twist"

Posted by Tangerle on 25 March 2013 - 11:13 AM in Modifications

Wow, I would've been no where close to doing this when I first started modding and heck, I recently barely can. That's punny. :lol:

#328171 Understanding Air Guns

Posted by Tangerle on 18 March 2013 - 08:47 PM in Homemades

I created it over ten days, and I estimate that it took me about eight hours. It is difficult to estimate, though, so I could be off.

Well, nice contribution. I wish this was posted 1 and a half years ago when I first got into air guns.

#328151 Understanding Air Guns

Posted by Tangerle on 18 March 2013 - 04:52 PM in Homemades

Nice thread, now I finally understand the sspb and panther. At first you bugged me a little but wow, this is really useful (and a slight halt to all of the "iffy" posts). How long did it take to make this?

#327976 Snapbow- pump edition!

Posted by Tangerle on 13 March 2013 - 10:28 PM in Homemades

I really like the whole set up for the actual pump action part its self especially the pvc that actually is connected to the plunger rod. I also like the grip, though I hate wood. is the forgrip (or pump how ever people prefer to say it) comfortable?

#327819 Gears' Spring Break at Smedley

Posted by Tangerle on 08 March 2013 - 06:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't make it because of my parents cars, out of the blue, started to break and they coulden't make it that far. Also, isn't it going to be hard to nerf in the snow?

#327582 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by Tangerle on 03 March 2013 - 10:38 PM in General Nerf

I think that many people would mod this to shoot micros. Also, when is this exactly supposed to come out?