wardrive's Content

There have been 59 items by wardrive (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#327786 Making Mongos- Where can I get 1" FBR?

Posted by wardrive on 08 March 2013 - 05:27 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've been trying to find information about weights for Mongo sized darts, but it's pretty scarce. Does anyone have any information on weights for mongos?

#323823 Direct Propulsion Crossbow

Posted by wardrive on 22 November 2012 - 05:19 AM in Homemades

That catch is beautiful, so simple and yet so effective.

#323595 Nerf Elite Pinpoint Sight

Posted by wardrive on 15 November 2012 - 03:00 AM in General Nerf

The elite pinpoint sight is supposed to be a wide release, Singapore has a developed economy and is geographically closer to the factories in china than most of Hasbro's other markets; so Singapore gets a lot of the new nerf products before they're ready for distribution elsewhere.

#321427 Homemade SuperMaxx 5000: The VenoMaxx

Posted by wardrive on 06 September 2012 - 07:39 PM in Homemades

Out of curiousity, what is the balance like on the blaster? Most blasters are a little front heavy so the balance is roughly in the middle when the blaster is held with two hands.
I don't see a barrel or any other mass that looks like it would outweigh the airtank- is the handling affected by this?

#307905 Cutting springs

Posted by wardrive on 29 November 2011 - 04:44 PM in Homemades

Go with a pair of heavy bolt cutters, generally something capable of cutting Cyclone fence easy.

#307202 Fresno/Central Valley War

Posted by wardrive on 10 November 2011 - 03:41 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm from Fresno, College keeps me pretty busy most of the time but I wouldn't mind seeing if schedule's line up.

#307190 Nerfers in North California

Posted by wardrive on 09 November 2011 - 07:52 PM in Nerf Wars

I completely agree. I live in the fresno area and the members on here who I have tried to contact haven't responded. I have decided to make the most of a group of friends to play with instead of trying to find random people to play with.

I also live in Fresno, I've had the same issue with organizing.

#306753 Bolt sled reinforcement physics qustion.

Posted by wardrive on 31 October 2011 - 06:45 AM in Modifications

The LS doesn't have the clearance to go for some extensive reinforcement at least not without major modifications (i.e. hacking and adding plastic) to the plunger tube in the front. As far as I can tell, the Angel Breach solves the issue by replacing the bolt sled altogether (More experienced users, feel free to correct me on that if I'm remiss).

As most of the N-strike line that uses magazines is based on the Recon, there's really not much of a need to reinforce the bolt sled due to lower power potential..

Generally speaking, modding is an incremental process.. We stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, and owe it to those who come after us to provide them the benefit of our experience. Which is my way of saying, most of us will do our mods as cheaply as possible.

#306702 Mav Paintjob Issues

Posted by wardrive on 30 October 2011 - 04:38 AM in Modifications

To answer your question, yes prepare your material before applying primer. You should always sand or whatever is appropriate for your material. Give it a sanding, and try again. Your results should be more along the lines of what you were aiming for.

#304375 New Nerf Series!

Posted by wardrive on 06 September 2011 - 08:12 AM in General Nerf

Ok, time for me to predict the future, based on the past.

The past: Stock dart blasters firing semi expensive ammo - we mod the blasters - we begin making primitive homemade ammo - we build homemades - ammo goes far and hurts - new safe ammo is created.

The future: Stock Vortex blasters firing very expensive disks - we add new springs, without too much advancement - begin making primitive but working disks - build homemade disk launchers - finally say "screw it" and make homemades that shoot actual mini frisbees bought in bulk online - people complain and we make "slug disks"

Then Nerf releases vortex mini football launchers to troll us, and we all live happily ever after, the end.

Mini Frisbees, particularly ones with names like wham-o wright look painful. I really don't see darts being pushed out by discs (I haven't seen too much of their performance though, except hasbro's propaganda). Example: The Nerf Recon, on NH a lot of people extrapolated that the Recon was a longshot in pistol form based on a photo of the Recon, by doing size comparisons of the CS-5 magazine to the rest of the blaster. As we all know now, the Longshot was the odd one out of the bunch in that in that it could hit 85-100 when given modest modifications.

Discs will have a place in wars, but I predict that they'll be relegated to a secondary/integrated blaster status- something a nerfer can use to shoot back discs that come their way. Most nerfers I've seen carry a spring blaster and an Air blaster, in spite of predictions that one system would eventually wipe out the other. We had N-Strike, a series that lasted a decade and brought us blasters that we incredibly advanced compared to so many blasters of the 90's. Discs will be more complex yet, in that a disc and be pushed and shoved around in ways that a dart cannot. N-Strike was also almost entire comprised of springers (Since both the Magstrike and the RF-20 were added to N-Strike as a marketing move) and yet, go to any war and air blasters are still here..

#291211 Concept: Firing From An Open Bolt.

Posted by wardrive on 20 December 2010 - 01:36 AM in Homemades

I think one issue that'd give you trouble would be your bolt slamming forward- that looks liable to be a source of jamming. You can only draw darts from a magazine so fast before you have problems, that was one of the limitations of increasing the battery power on the stampede. As for open bolt designs, it looks like you'd have additional wear from the slamming process.

This looks like a nice concept, but slamming has some inherent limitations.

#290475 Spider-man 3 Foam Missile Launcher

Posted by wardrive on 08 December 2010 - 08:59 PM in General Nerf

Wait, they put a stomp rocket on top of a blaster? Isn't that like building a whack a mole machine, and using an Ipad as a hammer?

#289680 Longshot Cs6 X-ii "shattershot"

Posted by wardrive on 01 December 2010 - 09:10 PM in Modifications

Doesn't this belong in the "Show me your pictures" thread?

#289332 Gyrostabilization Module

Posted by wardrive on 28 November 2010 - 10:03 PM in Modifications

This would be useful from a shoulder-mount, at least it looks like it might. Good work!

#289034 Nerf Q&a

Posted by wardrive on 27 November 2010 - 12:43 AM in General Nerf

I'd like to see some Air piston blasters, the Rf20 is ~10 years old and that's the most recent piston blaster. Springers are great, but they're not the only type of blaster in town..

#287612 Apoc 2010 Video

Posted by wardrive on 28 October 2010 - 05:45 AM in General Nerf

This is a lot better than pervious Apoc vids, I live on the West Coast.. The impression some of those previous Apoc vids gave was two sides lining up with Plus bows w/hoppers and trading fire-no cover, no maneuvering to get close, no running or movement- in the middle of a wide open field.

#286673 Blaster Identification Tool

Posted by wardrive on 07 October 2010 - 09:58 PM in General Nerf

I couldn't seem to find the Airzone 8-shooter up there?

#281459 Nerf Guns/unusual Conditions

Posted by wardrive on 28 July 2010 - 03:40 AM in General Nerf

As long as you keep the mud, sand, dirt, and water out of your internals you should be fine..

Highly technical blasters (the Vulcan comes to mind) are more vulnerable due to the complexity, highly robust blasters (such as the Homemade SNAP-Series) can shoot even if you fill them with water.

#276173 Marshmallow Mforcer

Posted by wardrive on 27 May 2010 - 01:52 PM in Modifications

I think the piston would be the area you'd want to look into for your next mod, especially if your aiming to improve range.

#275980 Rsp-skeleton

Posted by wardrive on 25 May 2010 - 08:29 PM in Homemades

Wow, nice work.. ranges?

#275525 My Firefly Won't Fire

Posted by wardrive on 21 May 2010 - 09:14 PM in Modifications

Re-size the picture, you have a problem with your seal..

#275324 The Reconbow

Posted by wardrive on 19 May 2010 - 03:49 PM in Modifications

Would replacing the broken part with aluminum be possible?

#275210 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by wardrive on 18 May 2010 - 06:09 PM in General Nerf

I think the over emphasis on range can be unhealthy for nerfing, two masses of player standing 120 feet apart from each other (with their 30 round plusbows) on a wide open field just seems wrong to me.
The Alpha trooper looks like it'll be plenty fun to run around with. On one other note, we got first call.. yay!

#274221 Has Anyone Considered Making/using Sights?

Posted by wardrive on 07 May 2010 - 01:00 AM in Modifications

Iron sights are all I've ever really needed, I use recommend a configuration similar toAR15 Iron Sights.

#272617 Cs 18?

Posted by wardrive on 18 April 2010 - 07:53 PM in General Nerf

Hmm, the more I read about the big blast the more curious I get.

#272596 Cs 18?

Posted by wardrive on 18 April 2010 - 04:30 PM in General Nerf

Reminds of the clip that the Spartan was supposed to have, maybe this means they're really going to build it?

#272595 Turrets Info

Posted by wardrive on 18 April 2010 - 04:26 PM in Homemades

I bought a Maverick for a a buck fifty, at the local goodwill. It shot a little sharp (less "oohmpfff" and more "shhnkk"), but other than that it worked fine. You can also fin "spare parts" in the form of other toy guns that are handy if you're doing cosmetic mods or you need plastic..

#270798 Scorpion Ldr

Posted by wardrive on 30 March 2010 - 05:20 PM in Homemades

I think what a lot of us are interested in seeing is how you made the thing. Its a nice gun, so how did you make it?

#268716 Auto Vacuum Loading Tagger Gun

Posted by wardrive on 09 March 2010 - 09:19 PM in Homemades

I saw the Youtube video, I really liked the durability factor. No springs, no triggers, no air pressure...
I do a lot of running at my most of my wars so I'm curious how they handle?

#268033 Straw <-dart Possibility?

Posted by wardrive on 04 March 2010 - 04:45 PM in Modifications

The Straw design means that you'd have to use "inferior" darts, one of the things that makes Stefans so useful is their toughness. They usually don't have an inner channel which means that they have overall thicker diameter than stock nerf darts.

A straw would require that the darts have an opening inside them, that opening means that the dart has weaker/thinner walls. That's one of the reasons stock darts rupture when used in high power blasters.

That channel also causes the dart to "flex" when airpressure is first applied/released. The flexing movement reduces affects the seal of the dart (particularly in spring guns), and the slightly warped shape affects the accuracy and range of the dart as the flexing motion causes a tumbling/wobbling as the dart leaves the barrel and goes through the air

The Yellow text is speculative, I'm trying to test that.

So to summarzie: Channel=Weak, Solid=Stong.

#267175 Cobra Vs Titan

Posted by wardrive on 27 February 2010 - 07:43 AM in Modifications

The Titan will send a micro 300 feet and beyond easily, one jackass at a local war broke his tank so he replaced it with a steel pipe and removed just about any sort of safety system (pressure release valves, inefficient airflow pathways, pressure restriction valves, etc) to fit the damn thing. Over the 40 minute main round, I kept hearing a zipping noise and eventually cursing. After round's end, one of the guys asked if he'd gotten any kills. Apparently he couldn't see his darts when he shot them from any angle. We got a cardboard mat and used it to see if his gun was actually shooting, the guy shooting pulled the trigger aiming at the bottom half of the cardboard and that micro dart made a whistling noise went through the cardboard and though one half of a plastic container.

It turned out that the barrel was bent, and combined with all that speed it was likely that douche bag was shooting over our heads the whole round.

I'd go with the Cobra, unless your looking for a Volley Gun the Titan can be dangerous especially if you mod it.
The Corba shoots 150ish, the Titan shoots into infinity and beyond. However, nobody's had their eye protection penetrated by a Cobra, the same can't be said for those singled Titans.

The Cobra is safer than the Titan. The Trigger will probably require some work though, as it wasn't build for shooting. :D

*Edit: apparently we've replaced all words that stand in for "repins (Spell it backwards)" with douche bag. Oh well, I can't complain about that..

#263752 Turning The Nerf Bandolier Into A Belt.

Posted by wardrive on 30 January 2010 - 01:30 AM in Modifications

All too often we have people like "Nerfchild" who seem to vomit whatever idea is on their mind. I hope you don't take offense, sometimes people get a little tired of dealing with kids posting stuff like this..

All too often we get things like this..

#261902 Helping Air Seal On Revolving Barrel Guns

Posted by wardrive on 15 January 2010 - 12:45 PM in Modifications

That's a good picture, and a nice idea.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to apply the maverick. The maverick has something like this, but the maverick has two rotations. The cylinder rotates halfway between each other (that is, it rotates a distance halfway between the barrels) when you pull the trigger, and halfway again when the trigger is released.

The Maverick has a seal that does "sorta" engage when the spring is compressed, however the seal is weak as the gun still has to rotate with a pull of the tigger.. It would make a lot of sense to use the cocking action to also rotate the barrle, but the designers decided that the trigger would rotate the barrel (and only half-at-a-time)

Don't get me wrong, you're idea is good.. Perhaps it could be applied to front of the gun? This would allow more range while cutting down equivalent weight (basically, a 6 barreled gun with one long barrel instead of 6 long barrels).

#260159 "new" Maverick Hex Design?

Posted by wardrive on 30 December 2009 - 04:13 AM in General Nerf

Well, some of the Advertisements were misleading. I initially thought the mavericks were semi-auto. I bought a Maverick when they first came out.

The Maverick appeals to not-so-serious nerfers because of psychology: "more barrels=good/Less cost=good".

#258692 Van Helsing Revolver Crossbow

Posted by wardrive on 12 December 2009 - 03:12 AM in General Nerf

Wow, this looks interesting. Unfortunately, movie guns usually aren't too easy to acquire well after the movie is out..

#257487 Join The Legacy!

Posted by wardrive on 28 November 2009 - 10:26 PM in Off Topic

Maybe allowing people to look at things without being members would be a nice idea.. So we'd know what we're signing on to beforehand..

#257485 Shotgun Stefans

Posted by wardrive on 28 November 2009 - 10:14 PM in Homemades

I know they use shells, which is another reason I don't like Doubleshots. Your description gave the impression that they were quite different from orthodox stefans, hence I felt compelled to ask.

So, your basically just stacking flat headed stefans on top of each other?

What kind of ranges are you getting?

#257480 Shotgun Stefans

Posted by wardrive on 28 November 2009 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

You know what would really help? Pictures!

Question 1:

Are you suggesting NIC members use airsoft pellets as a prjectile? Or simply as a weight? The "spread" comment made that kind of difficult to tell.

Question 2:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a doubleshot twice (at least not anyone I had any respect for), they usually buy a better gun once they realize how uncompetitive it is at most games.
*So why are you using one?

Question 3:

How are you stacking the darts? Side by side, or top to bottom (if you have short length stefans?).

-Not trying to rain on your parade here, but if you're introducing a "new" concept then it's customary to have lots of pictures..

*Edit, and yes I realize question 2 is not exactly a question...

#237131 My New Ls Mod

Posted by wardrive on 18 June 2009 - 12:35 PM in Modifications

Not the cleanest job ever, but still pretty impressive. I look forward to reading the updated thread.

#235139 Ideal Barrel Length

Posted by wardrive on 09 June 2009 - 01:30 AM in Modifications

Please refer to This thread..
You might find it an interesting read; I certainly did when I first got here..