azrael's Content

There have been 318 items by azrael (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#347589 Armageddon XVI

Posted by azrael on 01 July 2015 - 04:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Who's got the pics? I wanna see some! (wasn't there)

Here's one set of pics from bags:
https://www.facebook...12971555&type=3

#347534 Armageddon XVI

Posted by azrael on 29 June 2015 - 07:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Good times were had with my group!

Pros: Everything worked! So cool to see a lot of new faces and nerfers I've never met before.

Cons: Ever since my chrony broke, I've been a bit lax. Everything seemed to be shooting slower than I thought it was haha.

For next year, I'm going to actually build things in advance, instead of the week of the event, though haha.

#344400 Heavy Draw AAbow

Posted by azrael on 19 January 2015 - 04:11 PM in Homemades

I can't usually find a cross that fits well (It happens once in a while), and I usually use some combination of scotch tape and non-hardening putty to make it seal nice.

As for the pipe, I'm mostly amazed that it seems to have an ID of 5/8". I've never seen anything like that for copper tubes, but as you said it's "repair" tubing so I guess its intended to slide over 5/8" OD copper tubes and get soldered together. I often have trouble finding 3/4" CPVC that fits over the EMT--it sounds like this copper tube is a bit smaller on the OD which makes buying the 3/4 CPVC bow arms much less of a hassle.

I also wouldn't be worried about said copper tube getting ruined--it doesn't have any holes in it, and it's being held in a way that can't properly deform from bending until after the whole cross assembly has exploded. So long as that doesn't happen, I think it will be OK. The EMT was super overkill in my version, it was just the only metal tube I knew that fit 1/2" CPVC on the inside and 3/4" CPVC on the outside.

Definitely a bit of a hassle with the 3/4 CPVC. I used the one from McMaster, took quite a bunch of hammering to get them to fit. Since I don't have a CPVC supplier locally, I have to work with what I can get, instead of finding one that has loose enough tolerances. I think I only got it to nest inside maybe 3/4 as much as in your write up. Works well, though, shoots at least 200 fps.

#344330 Heavy Draw AAbow

Posted by azrael on 16 January 2015 - 08:48 PM in Homemades

Just reread this. I too, couldn't find a cross that fit snugly into the PVC plunger tube. I used etape and goop, myself.

I am surprised you couldn't find the steel conduit, though. You have access to a Home Depot, right? Should be in the electrical section.

#344296 Heavy Draw AAbow

Posted by azrael on 15 January 2015 - 04:46 PM in Homemades

I recommend making a stock of some sort. Really helped for aiming and stability for me. I actually used a U-Cup seal on my last Aabow, worked great.

#344264 Holsters

Posted by azrael on 14 January 2015 - 06:31 PM in General Nerf

Hotlinking my holster, just because I really don't think sewing is hard or complicated. Worth a try, if you have a machine available.

Posted Image

Again, first time using a sewing machine.

#344263 Stryfe battery

Posted by azrael on 14 January 2015 - 06:23 PM in Modifications

Yes, and as we know, sound = performance. :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like an awful idea. Please let me know how spin up time is, or how long the batteries last.

#344261 Stryfe battery

Posted by azrael on 14 January 2015 - 04:07 PM in Modifications

Running 180s at lower voltages and lower currents will likely result in a blaster that will work only well as stock or so, I would think. Spin up times might even be slower.

#344204 180 Setup Question

Posted by azrael on 12 January 2015 - 06:24 PM in Modifications

You could, but they wouldn't work well. 180s require a lot of current. If you use old laptop cells, you'll be choked the current and stressing the batteries, since you'd be asking for more current than they can provide. You would probably see a lot of voltage sag (lower supply voltage - so motors would not be overvolted as much as you'd think), too, so the motors would not be working optimally.

I'm sure it's fine with stock motors, but I don't recommend them for 180s.

#344198 Holsters

Posted by azrael on 12 January 2015 - 03:56 PM in General Nerf

Made my own using materials from Walmart. First time using a sewing machine, too. It's not hard, once you read up on how to do edging and the proper X stitch at tactical websites.
http://nerfscience.b...ot-holster.html

#344066 180 Setup Question

Posted by azrael on 08 January 2015 - 06:53 PM in Modifications

Don't run 180s on 14500 cells. Go 18650 lithium or with a LiPo.

#344063 "Koosh" darts

Posted by azrael on 08 January 2015 - 05:36 PM in Darts and Barrels

Some the green ones I received lately had uncured glue. Maybe 1 in 10, or so. I haven't opened all the packs. So the tips were a bit wet and just slid out. Just be aware. Maybe I received a lemon batch. The rest of them are superb, much better made than before, since they started using a new glue or something.

#343797 Trustfire IMR Batteries?!?!

Posted by azrael on 31 December 2014 - 06:57 PM in Modifications

14500 cells do not have the current capabilities for 180s. Those take a lot of current.

Just look at the difference in discharge rates for an eFest (8c) and a LiPo. Huge difference.

#342318 New Nerf Blasters!

Posted by azrael on 08 October 2014 - 04:00 PM in General Nerf

Skip the RM2s, they're not good.

#342249 Stryfe Battery Question

Posted by azrael on 03 October 2014 - 03:26 PM in Modifications

Lithium batteries from a laptop are not high discharge, though. Just FYI.

#341388 A little help required on Longstrike modding.

Posted by azrael on 20 August 2014 - 04:59 PM in Modifications

A lot of people have successfully taken Retaliator internals and put them into a Longstrike.

#341298 Custom Dart Questions

Posted by azrael on 18 August 2014 - 05:29 PM in Darts and Barrels

Well, it also can't leave a welt/bruise, so that we don't have pain tolerance come into effect.

Most of my darts have been used for a little while so the foam is worn I bit. I'd just like something that lasts a bit longer. I actually found a pack of whistle darts I bought a while ago with really great foam (It feels a lot stiffer/denser than elite foam), so I might try to transplant the tips off some old streamlines and see how they fly.

Still pretty subjective. I have yet to received a bruise from a hot glue dome stefan. Some people out there have skin made of out vanilla pudding, I swear.

#341200 Custom Dart Questions

Posted by azrael on 14 August 2014 - 07:32 AM in Darts and Barrels

They're not cheaply made, IMO. I like Koosh darts.
You could also try the Elite Suction Tip darts.

And silly HvZ pain tests. So subjective.

#340380 Jumbo vs Mega Stefans

Posted by azrael on 15 July 2014 - 10:11 AM in Darts and Barrels

^What foam are you using?

I would've liked to see those in action at 'geddon, too haha. Do you have a mold for the silicone domes that you made?

#340189 Where to get PETG at pet store website

Posted by azrael on 09 July 2014 - 12:28 PM in Darts and Barrels

You're in the US, just buy it off McMaster. The proper parts number is in the darts and barrels forum, in the materials list, I believe.

#340093 Anyone have an interest in Foam

Posted by azrael on 06 July 2014 - 02:48 PM in Darts and Barrels

Actually, redline polycarb that used to be sold by FMF has a SLIGHTLY bigger id.

I measured it to be about the same, just chalked up the difference to batch differences, since it's not incredibly well regulated.

I was just looking into buying some of the butyrate tubing. I hadn't heard of the aluminum though, thank you.

Anyway, I'll confirm thirty meters as of now and possibly 60-100 meters once more is set in place.

There's several kinds of aluminum on there, I can't remember offhand which one is the one I get. Not the super expensive one though lol.

Put me down for 30 meters (+10 meters bonus). Do you have a general idea of how much shipping will be? Have you had any experience with Inform3r's foam? If you have, is it anything like his? Thanks.

I have one dart that got mixed in with some of my stuff, that I believe was made from informer's stuff. I think it came from one of the Pasadena guys. It's pretty close.

Missed the bonus bit. I'll grab 45m, plus whatever the bonus for that is. :D

#340046 Anyone have an interest in Foam

Posted by azrael on 05 July 2014 - 04:15 PM in Darts and Barrels

I'm down for probably at least 20m of foam. I think a new color would be quite sweet.

Wonderful, thank you. The blue is very bright, I like it. Hopefully it has the same properties as the red.

I have experienced the same thing regarding CPVC. I just wanted to see a fit test for general reference (i.e. if there is a brand/batch of CPVC that it can properly fit in, it most likely won't be too difficult for me to come across). Also, it seems like most people are sourcing their PETG from McMaster now, which has a fairly specific I.D. (it would be nice if Drev could state where the PETG in the video came from though, that would be helpful).

I'll also have to slightly disagree with Ryan#### in my personal case (sacrilegious, I know). It'd be terribly inconvenient for me to have to re-barrel all of my blasters that are either turreted or have couplers for CPVC only (space restraints of certain shells and whatnot), but since hopper clips are so prevalent now I'm sure his logic still stands for the vast majority of people.
Sorry, this is starting to get off topic.

TL;DR: I cast my vote for the blue foam.

There are other 5/8" OD materials that have different inner diameters. I personally really like the butyrate tubing from McMaster. Slightly looser than CPVC. For airgun purposes, I like the aluminum tubing they have.

#339963 Sm1500 help

Posted by azrael on 03 July 2014 - 10:26 AM in Modifications

I use a pair of pliers as a lever. Try to only ever disassemble it once, repeated times will fuck the whole dealie up.

#339897 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 01 July 2014 - 03:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Actually, Mysterio definitely played in the last few rounds. Was using a hastily assembled UMB, I think.

#339756 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 24 June 2014 - 07:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Great time at the war despite breaking the pump on my Sceptor. Just an excuse to mod it more! Was nice to be able to put some faces to the names here.

Always love playing freeze tag, and for playing it for the first time, Carpe Testiculum was pretty fun. Can't believe Missile Crisis was ended in 2 minutes, haha.
Also, took this thing out for the first time!
Posted Image

I do think that it will work in that same location, if both teams were running missiles. One sided attack doesn't work there, I don't think haha.

#339638 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by azrael on 18 June 2014 - 04:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Holy poop, it's this weekend? This really snuck up on me. Hmmm.

#339296 New AABow Write-up

Posted by azrael on 02 June 2014 - 05:26 PM in Homemades

No, it makes it so you have a rear grip, making it easier to aim and release.

Ah, are you guys using the PVC tee as a brace?

I haven't had much difficulty in aiming mine, although I do admit it is less accurate than a conventional blaster.

#339283 New AABow Write-up

Posted by azrael on 02 June 2014 - 11:17 AM in Homemades

Why did you decide to eliminate the firing stabilizer from Kane's AABow write-up? It is the only thing that makes AABows actually usable blasters in NIC wars and is by far the best feature of any homemade bow blaster created.

What exactly does the stabilizer do? It just keeps the plunger moving forward in a linear fashion, right?

#339168 Weird stampede issue

Posted by azrael on 26 May 2014 - 04:20 PM in Modifications

If you use a good battery, instead of wiring crappy 9vs in series, 16.8v is MORE than enough up to 12kg. By this I mean NiMH or LiPo or IMR. Not Trustfires or 9v - those batteries are poor choices for overvolting due to their poor current supply.

#338468 Voltage Modded Stampede problem... It keeps going, and going, and goin

Posted by azrael on 24 April 2014 - 12:56 PM in Modifications

It's not all about voltage, remember. You need a decent current discharge, because as you increase voltage, there is a proportional increase in current demand.

#338432 Voltage Modded Stampede problem... It keeps going, and going, and goin

Posted by azrael on 23 April 2014 - 01:11 AM in Modifications

Well, FWIW, Trustfires are crap for this application. Better batteries will make it run better. BUT. For many people, there is a bit you need to shave to make it work with better batteries. It's a whole thing to get into. So in that respect, Trustfires can work here.

I can run mine off 4s/16.8v, with a LiPo battery, with around 9-11kg spring resistance, FWIW.
You're absolutely going to need to put in the upgraded spring if you up the voltage. That will honestly probably solve your problem. Run is 3s, with the new spring.

#338418 Voltage Modded Stampede problem... It keeps going, and going, and goin

Posted by azrael on 22 April 2014 - 07:31 PM in Modifications

Did you replace the spring? Using the stock spring will usually give you a Runaway Stampede.

#338299 Air Max 10

Posted by azrael on 18 April 2014 - 10:17 PM in Modifications

I've never had a problem with back pressure tanks and a dual action bike pump. I don't think so, at least.

#338246 Air Max 10

Posted by azrael on 15 April 2014 - 12:54 PM in Modifications

Very nice work, some good tips in there for sure. I too, would like to see some chrony data.

Why was it necessary to remove the Bell pump's cap? I use those too, pretty cheap from Walmart. However, I just use old bike tubing's connector to connect tubing. Works great as a check valve, too.

Finally, the inspiration I need to mod my Air Max 10.

#338068 The Rayven Dual-stage mod

Posted by azrael on 06 April 2014 - 04:04 AM in Modifications

Did you chrony it with that barrel extension on?

#337910 Guide to flywheel motors and associated systems

Posted by azrael on 31 March 2014 - 09:34 AM in Modifications

Very nice pictures. However I will always choose trustfires over Li-po because of their ease of access.

There are alternatives to Trustfires that still have better current capabilities and are still easy to use.

eFest 14500 IMRs, for example, have at least 4x the discharge current of a Trustfire, can be charged on the same charger, are significantly safer, and still are AA sized.

Nice little look at motors, not a lot of people think about this.
It might be a good idea to recognize that these are not your pictures, and some of them are drawn/taken by people on RC forums.

#337831 Why do slug darts need to be made with washers?

Posted by azrael on 29 March 2014 - 11:37 AM in Darts and Barrels

I would think it's easier to center a washer than a ball bearing.

What kind of foam and washer are you using where you have exposed metal? 3/8" OD #6 washers should not be exposed with 1/2" foam.

#337817 Any Nerf people here in So Cal?

Posted by azrael on 28 March 2014 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Definitely should come to a SCUN event. I live a bit more south than most of the group, though.

#337445 MEGA Magnus Paintjob

Posted by azrael on 06 March 2014 - 08:59 PM in Homemades

I'm just laughing at his attempt to link to a image on his computer's hard drive.

#337417 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by azrael on 05 March 2014 - 02:51 PM in Darts and Barrels

My experimentation with fluted barrels.
Posted Image
Posted Image

More info here:
http://nerfscience.b...-so-i.html#more