Green Riptide's Content

There have been 96 items by Green Riptide (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#155819 Fiction

Posted by Green Riptide on 14 May 2008 - 05:25 PM in Off Topic

My fellow Green and I share more than just username color choice, apparently; I have Wold War Z in hardback as well.

#155657 Mp3 Recorder

Posted by Green Riptide on 12 May 2008 - 10:48 PM in Off Topic

Definitely Audacity. Freeware and infinitely useful; make sure you download the MP3 plugin. (MP3lame I believe it is called?)

#155656 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Green Riptide on 12 May 2008 - 10:43 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm just going to resign myself to not being able to make it to any wars until I start attending UC in the fall. :[
that does give me plenty of time to finish up mods, though.

There are several parks around the east side of Cbus that would probably do very well indeed.

(by the way, lynx, I can't get the FF i bought off of you to work. i have a few ideas, but... jesus, what did you DO to it?)

#154963 The Nerf Warrior System (nws)

Posted by Green Riptide on 06 May 2008 - 08:30 PM in Homemades

I have a wonderful mental image of Neo coming into the lobby and pulling out an endless series of magstrikes thanks to this thread. Seriously- four pre-pumped magstrikes on the back and one in each hand would make for a ridiculous foamstorm. Ridiculous in several ways.

#154920 Big Blast Modification

Posted by Green Riptide on 06 May 2008 - 04:32 PM in Modifications

Apologies for dredging this up, but before I embark on this particular modding adventure I have a few questions.
These mostly go out to anyone with modded Big Blasts.

Is it possible to relocate the pump? As in, detach the pump tube from the pressure chamber and move it somewhere else? In this case I'd be trying to make it a bullpup design. From what I've seen it doesn't look like you can cut up the whole one-piece internal thing, but every mod in the directory involves putting the internals back in the shell they came from, so no one really needed to bother trying it.

and of course, How many pumps with the pump plugged?

#154633 The Brink Of Frustration

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 May 2008 - 06:14 PM in General Nerf

At first I found the hard-assery around here to be a refreshing change from the sort of 12-year-old populated wastelands of the internet, but to be honest the novelty has worn off and now you look a little precocious. People waste more time and energy calling each other out on things already; I just kind of get the vibe that six people posting "wow, you really ought to be banned for this post" and then three more posting "you shouldn't post in a thread just to tell people they're about to be banned" isn't really how the place was intended to operate. The essential problem of NH is that the nature of the activity attracts a lot of kids who fit squarely into the prepubescent e-penis-concerned videogame-forum-flamewar stereotype, and I think that will continue to be the main struggle on this forum until the day it dies. I'm not even terribly sure how that could even be addressed; mandatory no-post periods of a month or two following account registration? That would ensure that people had a better idea of how this place operates and would kill some of the noob questions from potential members with little patience, but could maybe repulse actual wanted members. Raise the age limit to fifteen or sixteen (or beyond) maybe?

In short, I was rather off-put to see yet another one of these threads. The fact that it exists is probably in indicator we're doing something wrong; whether that means our expectations are too high or that new members aren't understanding (or any number of other problems) remains to be discovered.

#153867 I Need Advice

Posted by Green Riptide on 29 April 2008 - 06:52 PM in Off Topic

Be a man! Use your dick!

fixed.

The idea here is to use the leverage and swing the hips; you might need to dig a small starter hole to wedge yourself underneath the main part of the stump at first.
You also may want to practice on a few smaller stumps in the back woods before attempting a full-size phallic de-stumping procedure; guaranteed, though, if you bring along a few of the lady-types (try to find some who aren't too shy) to the main event you'll never sleep alone as long as you live in that town.

#153509 University Of Cincinnati

Posted by Green Riptide on 27 April 2008 - 07:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there for the next five years in alternating semesters. Looking forward to it, obviously. Do you happen to know when the breakdancing club meets, twitch/bpso? I'm rather interested in both clubs. Also, waivers are a pain but obviously the right move here, so good call.

#150220 Maverick Speedloader Mod

Posted by Green Riptide on 09 April 2008 - 01:24 PM in Modifications

Why not just use something like KBarker has HERE ? If you really want to do what you're doing now, making two o them that hold three darts apiece would be a decent way to eliminate the leftover hole problem.

#149392 A Bit Of A Puzzle

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 April 2008 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

Epoxy can be removed almost as easily as hot glue, really. Well, mine can anyways.

#149391 You Guys Should Take A Look

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 April 2008 - 09:16 PM in General Nerf

I was pretty disappointed in the first post's attempt at an April Fool's stunt, but what really saddened me was that VACC would post a list of what were frankly some excellent ideas and then say that he wasn't going to follow through with any of them.

Why? Nearly all those things ARE coming, they're just coming to NerfHaven instead of NerfHQ. Are we buying you a plane ticket to Armageddon, sadly no, but everything else we are working on.

Oh.
I see.

#149107 Modding Basics

Posted by Green Riptide on 03 April 2008 - 04:18 PM in Modifications

Captain Slug can field the ID question since that seems to be a favorite rambling point of his. :P

Suffice it to say, though, that CPVC and PVC are NOT the same thing. PVC is usually a white pipe that has larger ID's than similar sizes of CPVC. It also tends to come in larger size options period. Most PVC is very loose to use on stock darts.

CPVC is off-white to yellow, sometimes with a yellow stripe along the side. I believe it is intended for cold-water plumbing in the non-NERF world. Most CPVC is fairly tight on stock darts. CPVC tends to come in smaller diameters than PVC, as well.

You could use PVC as a barrel, but unless you know what you're getting into your darts will probably just fall out the end.

#148872 You Guys Should Take A Look

Posted by Green Riptide on 02 April 2008 - 05:47 PM in General Nerf

I was pretty disappointed in the first post's attempt at an April Fool's stunt, but what really saddened me was that VACC would post a list of what were frankly some excellent ideas and then say that he wasn't going to follow through with any of them.

#148866 Custom T Shirt Designers?

Posted by Green Riptide on 02 April 2008 - 05:34 PM in Off Topic

I use zazzle for black tees (because as far as I know they're the only ones who offer them) and Skreened for everything else. They're pretty laid back and custom orders are usually no problem whatsoever- PM me if you'd like to see some of the stuff I've done with them.

#148862 New Music...

Posted by Green Riptide on 02 April 2008 - 05:02 PM in Off Topic

Meh, I can't get too excited about new music. I love Bartok, Debussy, and Stravinsky, but I won't touch anything more modern.

Copland?

#146533 Extra Itunes Money

Posted by Green Riptide on 23 March 2008 - 11:26 PM in Off Topic

Pfft, buying music. There's plenty of good free stuff to be found. If you're looking for in-flight entertainment find a few good podcasts... I love the mellocast, but I'm probably the only on here who would even touch it. The Brickfilms.com video podcast is free I think. Free music? This week I've been listening to Metroid metal and rediscovering the Minibosses. (Google them.)

#146531 A Friendly Reminder

Posted by Green Riptide on 23 March 2008 - 11:13 PM in Site Feedback

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT.
There will be no tl:dr; I'm assuming that you're all intelligent enough to read the entire post before commenting.

Well, you could just share an account....

But the one half of "You" could get you banned...

Precisely. I share interests with my little brother (and thus accounts having the same ip) on a multitude of sites/games/etc. This does not include the haven. The reason for the different accounts varies; sometimes you can only have one character per account and he wants to play the game as well; sometimes I just don't want him posting ignorant bullshit under the screenname I'm recognized as in that particular community. Most of the time he even operates on a different access point, but since we're on a wireless network we share an ip. Though they can undeniably be convenient get-out-of-jail-free cards, "little brother stories", like "new apartment, previous owner left Internet connection installed" , "Internet co. routinely changed my ip" and "public library" stories are true a good percentage of the time.
As I see it there are a few routes to be taken here, but it boils down to two very basic ones; choosing to ignore the fact that sometimes more than one person under a shared ip attends the same site, or choosing to accommodate that fact. As a passing observer, I would think the haven (it's administration, to be precise) would be fairly forgiving in matters involving little brothers, mostly because of the rather visible encouraging of the hobby in younger generations. (One need look no further than the 'staff' - See FA24's accomplice, Piney's kids, etc.) To be honest, if you have a brother, he's more likely than not going to be involved in your testing and manufacture of modded foam weaponry just because he sees you fairly regularly and you're doing NERF-related things fairly regularly. It can be easily discerned that this is an issue that is going to recur, and logically it makes sense to do something about it.
So what can NH do about little brothers without sacrificing the hard-nosed reputation? I realize that un-banning every member who sends an email saying "zomg it was my little brother" is pulling the rug out from under the accepted authorities, so that is out of the question. There are some things that could be done, though.
-1-
User-Submitted Lists. This would essentially entail a clause being added to the CoC stating that "If you have a little brother who shares your account or share a network [ip] with other users, Post in this thread/send an email here/etc. with a brief message detailing your situation. to prevent accidental banhammering." A mod-viewable-only thread/dump email account would be created for these messages to be sent to. Mods wouldn't have any added workload except keeping the email account open or whatnot. When a user was banned mistakenly (it will happen eventually, so not when/if) they would send off an email to one of the mods/admins asking very nicely that they be checked against the lil' bro database and then wait for the mods to feel merciful enough to bother looking into it. Once they had a post in the lil' bro thread confirmed, then the mods could look into it further if they wanted to. This places the burden of proof primarily on the user- users could be required to provide photo evidence in their initial post in that thread/email if you wanted to take it that far, even just to continue asserting the strict nature of the haven's rule enforcement. Additionally, since this was in the CoC (which everyone should have read) any cases that don't have a post in the lil' bro thread or an email in the inbox can immediately be dismissed since they didn't follow the rules anyway. This shouldn't take much effort to initiate- just make a thread and wait. If there are going to be pictures in the thread it would probably be desired by some of the parties involved that only the mods be able to see their pictures. (We wear masks for a reason.)
-2-
The probably harder way and maybe not possible way- Multiple profiles per account. I play a few online games where even if you have one account you can still use multiple classes/characters without losing your others. This is accomplished through the use of profiles. I log in with my username/pass and then select a profile, and depending on which one I pick I have different keyboard setups and different saved stats. For some servers I even have the option of logging in to the game launcher, then selecting the username who's stats I want to call up, then selecting the profile I want to use from that username. This same concept could be transferred to the forum realm, but probably not without a huge amount of work. basically it would involve a user logging into the forums and then being prompted what profile they wanted to use. The profiles would be password protected. This way you could ban one profile if you know there are multiple users on the same account, or just ip ban the entire account if you know that only one person uses account. Still, this idea verges on overcomplication and would probably require -1- as foundation anyway, which I'm 115% sure is too much work.

If I think of anything more streamlined the -1- I'll add it.
Thanks for reading.

#146401 Easy Airtech 2k Barrel Replacement

Posted by Green Riptide on 23 March 2008 - 01:49 AM in Modifications

This particular airtech is one of 6 that I gobbled up from Kohl's when I heard that they were stopping selling them.

Wait, what?!
Shit, I'd better go clear out the rest of the SR256 Kohls' stock!
Must get there before Lynx! :D

#146176 Spring Ohio War

Posted by Green Riptide on 21 March 2008 - 05:25 PM in Nerf Wars

That's what the Internet is for.

#146168 At3k Or Recon

Posted by Green Riptide on 21 March 2008 - 04:01 PM in General Nerf

Two guns or one gun?
Tough question.

#145595 Spare Time

Posted by Green Riptide on 17 March 2008 - 08:30 PM in Off Topic

I can understand if you read through a thread you saw in the modification directory and don't realize the date of the last post... but to necro this thread means reading back several pages in the forums, which should sound a few "these might be old posts" alarms no matter what.

Actually, might it be possible to add a disclaimer to the top of the mod directory reading something like "Be sure to check the date of the last post before replying to threads you find here" ?

#145456 Cardboard Armor?

Posted by Green Riptide on 16 March 2008 - 07:38 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm amazed you didn't die because of the spray-paint fumes.

#145455 Spring Ohio War

Posted by Green Riptide on 16 March 2008 - 07:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I look forward to seeing you all kicking your asses KILLING YOU SOON.

fixed.

Since the OHNO poll has drifted off the front page, is this the designated OHNO planning thread now?

#145152 Yes, Another Noob With Nf Problems

Posted by Green Riptide on 14 March 2008 - 09:20 PM in Modifications

I never saw the result of what was supposed to be an acid test of a modified NiteFinder that someone claimed would shoot "100 feet". I don't know what happened, but it never made it to the test site, I think.

-Piney-

Here you go
http://nerfhaven.com...topic=10116&hl=
tl:dr it didn't hit 100, but it was a solid mod that consistently hit 70' under rigorous testing. PN maintains that it fired 100' when he had it; ridiculous factors such as temperature and altitude are considered.

Relating more directly to the topic- I'm personally not too sure that "you should be able to tell if it's too tight" means anything to me. "You shouldn't have to screw things in" is also pretty subjective. As someone fairly new to this I don't have experience with a wide range of barrel materials; my CPVC take a little effort to get darts into, but I don't screw anything in. I honestly have no idea if they're "too tight" since I have no calipers to measure ID with. I get the feeling the OP migth be in a similar boat.

#145111 Suggestions For Lan/online Multiplayer Games

Posted by Green Riptide on 14 March 2008 - 06:06 PM in Off Topic

Wait what was that? Your vagina made you quit WoW?

Someone's just a little pissy because they don't have an Effeminate flying mount like I do.

You're right. I hate my girlfriend and real job. I'm just gonna sit in my parents' basement, eat cheetos and whine about my acne over teamspeak....that's working out sweet for you, right?

All the cool kids use Vent, VACC.

#145026 Suggestions For Lan/online Multiplayer Games

Posted by Green Riptide on 13 March 2008 - 07:43 PM in Off Topic

Soldat.

MADNESS!

I've been playing quadradius some recently- online space checkers with power-ups.

#144726 Spawnball: Scun's Next Take On Ctf

Posted by Green Riptide on 11 March 2008 - 03:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Star Wars: Battlefront with a single, moving respwawn point? Do Want. Sounds like this would turn into tournament-paintball-style CTF where the actual flagging action is minimal until all or nearly all of the other team is downed anyway.

#144070 Music

Posted by Green Riptide on 06 March 2008 - 12:37 AM in Off Topic

I usually find relient k too .. i dunno, soft and guitar-driven pop-esque? I do enjoy some of their stuff though. It makes for lovely music to fall asleep too.

Currently though, I fall asleep to Franz Biebl's arrangement of Ave maria -easily the best, in my opinion- performed by chanticleer. If I had to choose now, this is the song I'd want this song played at my funeral (though I'd have a hard time deciding between having chanticleer and phantom regiment performing it).

#144036 My Ls Forgrip (not Clean But Very Cheap)

Posted by Green Riptide on 05 March 2008 - 08:40 PM in Homemades

I think anyone still in a public school system is forced to conclude that NCLB is a shitty, shitty, thing, but that isn't what the thread is about.

here are the CPVC mountings i was talking about; they aren't terribly sturdy, but when/if i get a recon I might try a shotgun mod with them anyway.
Posted Image

#143919 Xbow Question

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 March 2008 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

Just to double-check, this is essentially the same for all springers, yes?

#143917 Petg At2k Quad Barrel Write Up

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 March 2008 - 09:18 PM in Modifications

Since it's active now- my AT2K, as far as I can tell, never had the crucial O-ring. When I opened it there was nothing there. Is that particular O-ring really necessary, or can substitute with something else such as the aforementioned glue?

#143914 Music

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 March 2008 - 09:10 PM in Off Topic

I don't so much listen to genres of music as random people/bands.

I enjoy hardcore house/D&B and classical music, or better yet, both together.

I like Five Iron Frenzy and Roper, some Orange Range and Asian Kung-Fu Generation stuff, Johnny Richards and Stan Kenton, Squad Five-O, Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's instrumental stuff, some Yngwie malmsteen, the IUP marching band and Phantom Regiment. I also enjoy the more symphonic brass band stuff and more modern symphonic and band music.

#143871 Spring Ohio War

Posted by Green Riptide on 04 March 2008 - 05:27 PM in Nerf Wars

Yee Haw Ohio.

Someone has their primary states mixed up. :(

Is anyone planning on documenting this war?

#143732 Jspb-war Flag

Posted by Green Riptide on 03 March 2008 - 09:18 PM in Homemades

I'm pretty sure he's just as confused as you are ice; from what I can tell FA isn't one for bullshittery. That's more OMC's field.

I'm also pretty puzzled here. My best guess is that there is a long in-line clip in the gun beforehand that you must remove to place the flag tube in, thus rendering flaggers incapable of firing? But then why would he have a flag on the clip tube to begin with... I would also say it was intended as a decoy, but for the fact that in the diagram the one with the would-be-decoy is the one taking the flag. I'm lost.

#143717 My Ls Forgrip (not Clean But Very Cheap)

Posted by Green Riptide on 03 March 2008 - 08:48 PM in Homemades

"Hello random viewers!"
'SHUT UP!'
"..."

rule 1:
The man with the longshot makes the rules.

While I honestly can't help but chuckle at the falsetto, I do admire the functionality and straight-up cost effectiveness. As mentioned in the Youtube comments, an L-corner CPVC piece would probably be better for securing the cocking handle to the shotgun slider bar CPVC. I've got some CPVC things in my basement.. basically 1/2 inch CPVC version of McMaster Carr part 3192T51 that I found at Home Depot in a six-pack for something like 93 cents that would probably work just as well as the glued-on longshot barrel so you could save that for something else. (reinforcing PETG barrels or something?)

#143578 I Have Done It!

Posted by Green Riptide on 03 March 2008 - 01:08 AM in Modifications

Not to be an asshole here Slug, but not everyone even has access to something that would be able to use the specified drillbit. My drill just gave out on me and since it honestly wasn't used for 8 years I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it; other folks may not have their power tools with them at college/said power tools are contraband, or the younger readers might not be allowed to use any they would have access to anyway. I (and probably many others as well) appreciate the information; if I do end up getting a replacement drill I'll pick up one of these bits while I'm at it. In the interim, though, I don't think having an example of how someone got by without the more refined tools is bad at all.

#143573 Spring Ohio War

Posted by Green Riptide on 03 March 2008 - 01:00 AM in Nerf Wars

a 10 yr old

virgin ears!

#143488 2008 Jspb Combat

Posted by Green Riptide on 02 March 2008 - 05:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Very nice footage/editing. The play area seems pretty wide open, but I guess that works for CTF.
Super plunger burst attack GO!

#143394 Wob+

Posted by Green Riptide on 01 March 2008 - 09:48 PM in Homemades

Well, I had an idea involving a clip, but the barrel being surrounded on all sides by the plunger kind of makes things difficult.

On a side note, the first thing to come to mind every time i see this topic is Word of Blake.

#143382 New Gun. Wild Planet "signal Launcher"

Posted by Green Riptide on 01 March 2008 - 07:42 PM in General Nerf

After seeing Dark Shrimp's mod and not seeing a trigger, I have found myself wondering where it is.