JPRoth1980's Content

There have been 49 items by JPRoth1980 (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#337727 HAMNO 3.4

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 27 March 2014 - 07:18 AM in Nerf Wars

HAMNO 3.4

Posted Image

8510 Will Clayton Drive Humble, TX 77396
Date/Time: Saturday, April 19th, 3:00 PM - Whenever

https://www.facebook...ry_type=regular

If you are coming off 59, park in the FIRST parking lot you get to (before the sign, even). We'll be over by the alpine trail in the nice, wooded area with lots of shade and cover. If you need better directions, PM me and I'll give you my number.

What to bring:
-Eye Protection (seriously, guys, let's not get hurt). If you have multiple pairs of safety glasses, please bring them along, just in case.
-Blasters: Primary, Secondary, Etc.
-Loaners: If we get a group of newcomers, these will be very important.
-Horribles: Bring at least one truly crap blaster/pistol/what-have-you. Bring more if you can so we can all goof off.
-Pistols: Bring them. Again, we'll likely do a non-horrible pistol round.
-Ball Blasters: Guys, I really like ball rounds. Let's bring them back.
-Rocket Launchers, arrows, disc launchers, anything that fires wacky stuff is great!
-Melee: Everyone seems to really love our melee rounds and they will continue.
-STOCK DART BLASTERS. Just for Andy. ;)
-Stuff for trading. Work it out in this thread or just bring some choice items. Most of us have a decent collection, so bringing a bunch of crap will just wear you out.
-Bring your own hydration. While I miss the cooler, I make enough trips to and from the car as it is!
-Darts. Lots of them. There's practically no grass where we've been playing, but you will lose some.
-Good attitude, but that goes without saying.
-FRIENDS. Get people to show up. We have plenty of loaners and we're not going to expand without promoting a little.

What Not to Bring:
-Overly powerful blasters, like a singled Titan or whatnot.
-Crap darts. No exposed metal, please. I personally don't care if you're shooting slugs or domes or stock darts or what have you, but let's not go crazy.
-Camo/Black/Realistic blasters. Historically this hasn't been a problem.

Games played: Lots of free-for-all 3:15, some team/wingman games, likely melee and horrible rounds, the rest depends on attendance. If we get a decent size group, objective games will be played heavily.

#337099 HAMNO 3.3

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 17 February 2014 - 01:44 PM in Nerf Wars

HAMNO 3.3

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, March 8 11:00 am - When We're Done

If you are coming off 59, park in the FIRST parking lot you get to (before the sign, even). We'll be over by the alpine trail in the nice, wooded area with lots of shade and cover. If you need better directions, PM me and I'll give you my number.

What to bring:
-Eye Protection (seriously, guys, let's not get hurt). If you have multiple pairs of safety glasses, please bring them along, just in case.
-Horribles: Bring at least one truly crap blaster/pistol/what-have-you. Bring more if you can so we can all goof off.
-Rocket Launchers, arrows, disc launchers, anything that fires wacky stuff is great!
-HvZ-Grade Blasters since we'll likely do a few rounds of something similar.
-Stuff for trading. Work it out in this thread or just bring some choice items. Most of us have a decent collection, so bringing a bunch of crap will just wear you out.
-Bring your own hydration. While I miss the cooler, I make enough trips to and from the car as it is!
-Darts. Lots of them. There's practically no grass where we've been playing, but you will lose some.
-FRIENDS. Get people to show up. We have plenty of loaners and we're not going to expand without promoting a little.

What Not to Bring:
-Crap darts. No exposed metal, please. I personally don't care if you're shooting slugs or domes or stock darts or what have you, but let's not go crazy.

Games played: Lots of free-for-all 3:15, some team/wingman games, likely melee and horrible rounds, the rest depends on attendance. If we get a decent size group, objective games will be played heavily.

#336505 HAMNO 3.1

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 16 January 2014 - 04:49 PM in Nerf Wars

HAMNO 2.9.2

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, January 25, 3:00 PM - Whenever

What to bring:

What Not to Bring:

#335530 HAMNO 2.12.1 (?)

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 18 November 2013 - 10:21 AM in Nerf Wars

Date/Time: Sunday, December 8, 11 AM-Mission Time

Posted Image

This war is going to be a bit different. We'll still do a few standard rounds, but there's going to be a bigger focus on HvZ, up to and including a mini-game/mini-mission depending on the Mods' standpoint.

What to bring:
-Eye Protection. No more getting hurt.
-Your HvZ Gear: Blasters, socks, bandanas, etc.
-Frisbees. Seriously.
-Sock'Em Boppers or Hulk Hands
-Pool Noodles
-Brightly-Colored Socks or Otherwise "Marked" Socks
-Lots and Lots of Ammo
-Rocket Launchers
-Z-Bombs
-Boffer-Appropriate Melee, especially Shields
-Any Zombie-Themed Props you might own.

What Not to Bring:

Games played: Free-for-all, pistols, horribles, melee, and the mini-mission. Follow AUGS on Facebook for more information there (or check out the forums on tamuhvz.com).

#335344 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 12 November 2013 - 07:42 AM in Modifications

More of an HvZ mod, but here it is.

Forearm-mounted Swarmfire. The bracer opens up and latches and is well-padded internally. The trigger switch has been moved to a PVC ring to allow the hand to be used for other things while still making the blaster functional. Stock spring, 16.8V fully charged.

Posted Image

#335319 Homemade air bladder

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 10 November 2013 - 10:56 AM in Modifications

Something I have been considering for way too long is putting a bladder in a Sceptor. The hammer valve only would allow for near-perfect semi-auto and a compressor could keep the bladder topped off.

Basically, a bladder plus compressor plus hammer valve (with a cutoff switched wired around the bladder) would make an effective semi-auto NIC-worthy blaster, to my mind.

#334957 HAMNO "10".1

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 23 October 2013 - 06:48 AM in Nerf Wars

Date/Time: Sunday, November 3, 11 AM-Mission Time

Posted Image

This is a fairly typical pre-HvZ war. Let's get the word out, get a lot of newbies to show up, and have lots of fun. I will be bringing my HvZ arsenal to loan out for the mission. Let's get the Humans a lot of fun toys and then make sure they die anyway. Remember, a zombie victory means everybody wins!

What to bring:
-Your HvZ gear. Obviously

What Not to Bring:

#334397 Safety Wankfest

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 01 October 2013 - 09:29 AM in Off Topic

A college campus is like a swirling vortex of butthurt and bad decisions. Personally, if I were running a college HvZ game, I would probably not stray too far from the way Penn State runs their games, although I would probably swap out the 'pain test' for something less subjective. But if you think you can get away with it, it's your call. If the students, faculty and administrators on your campus are so awesome that you can play like that and nobody ever gives you any shit for it, I guess it's practically your duty to take advantage of that. But if anyone ever does get hurt, and somebody sticks a camera in your face, you were never here.

Part of the problem with HvZ is that it does not require eye protection (at least, universally). I've seen people come to some of my HAMNOs minus glasses and they've taken a dart in the eye which made them reconsider their toughness. Plus, not everyone is "hardcore." A big portion of the HvZ crowd is highly casual and reducing pain is a very good idea when it comes to keeping the zombies playing as zombies.

Plus, it's not like a homemade would actually be useful in HvZ--at least, not the way it's played around here. Range means very little when zombies have extremely short respawn timers and rate of fire is absolutely required for a horde.

#333821 HAMNO 2.9.1 and 2.9.2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 07 September 2013 - 04:53 AM in Nerf Wars

Please note: due to TAMU's game today, HAMNO 2.9.1 has been rescheduled to tomorrow at 11:00. Please adjust accordingly.

#333460 2013 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 26 August 2013 - 07:06 AM in Nerf Wars

September:[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24319] 7th and 28th [TX] HAMNO 2.9.1 and 2.9.2[/url]

#333459 HAMNO 2.9.1 and 2.9.2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 26 August 2013 - 07:02 AM in Nerf Wars

Sheesh, these twice-a-month wars are fun, don't you think?

Anyway, here goes!
HAMNO 2.9.1

Date/Time: Saturday, September 7, 11 AM-Mission Time

Posted Image

This is a fairly typical pre-HvZ war. Let's get the word out, get a lot of newbies to show up, and have lots of fun. I will be bringing my HvZ arsenal to loan out for the mission. Let's get the Humans a lot of fun toys and then make sure they die anyway. Remember, a zombie victory means everybody wins!

HAMNO 2.9.2

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, Sept 28, 4:00 PM - Whenever

What to bring:

What Not to Bring:

#332446 2013 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 29 July 2013 - 06:38 AM in Nerf Wars

August:[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24206-url]24th [TX] HAMNO 2.8[/url]

#332445 HAMNO 2.8

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 29 July 2013 - 06:32 AM in Nerf Wars

This announcement is pretty much the same as it always is. That said, three notes of importance:

1: Please note that this is a 4 PM war. I predict we'll start doing earlier wars again in September, but for the moment, it's just too damn hot.
2: In case of inclement weather, please call me (don't PM me here). If you do not have my phone number, PM me and I will send it to you.
3: It appears that TAMU will be doing HvZ in September. If that changes, the date and location of the war may also change. Pay attention for updates!

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, Aug 24, 4:00 PM - Whenever and Saturday, July 20, 4:00 PM - Whenever

What to bring:
-Hydration. The cooler will make a return this war.

What Not to Bring:
-Crap darts. No exposed metal, please. I personally don't care if you're shooting slugs or domes or stock darts or what have you, but let's not go crazy. I will try to up the AMIORS count a bit.

#331535 How to fix torn Magstrike air-bladder

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 03 July 2013 - 01:37 PM in Modifications

http://www.sscentral...memade/lrt.html

Honestly, this should give you everything you need to know. The parts you need can be ordered inexpensively through McMaster.

Of course, not as inexpensively as $3 plus shipping, but there's a lot more potential here.

#330872 Why You Should Come Nerf in Houston

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 14 June 2013 - 04:27 PM in Nerf Wars

What makes a little more sense would be for the three of you to do the traveling for a war. You know instead of hoping 30 people will travel cross country for a hosted by only three locals.

This is something we would definitely be down to do, if there was such a thing going on nearby. But that just isn't happening, so rather than taking a passive approach, I wanted to see if there was a possibility of actually doing something more active.

Of course, it may well fall through--hence this thread, gauging interest. We have three extremely active members in the area and about 10 more moderates and a few dozen people who might show up at any given time. It's not exactly as small as snakerbot makes it out to be, but hey, if someone else wants to plan something, I'm definitely game.

#330861 Why You Should Come Nerf in Houston

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 14 June 2013 - 04:54 AM in Nerf Wars

Is that a bandana on your arm?

Don't tell me you're one of those fucking zombies kids.

Nope. Much too damn old to be a kid.

#330842 Why You Should Come Nerf in Houston

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 13 June 2013 - 01:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Because when it's like this where you live:

Posted Image

It's like this in Houston:

Posted Image

Because our average winter highs and lows are in the 60s and 40s, respectively.

Because Andy and David are amazing Nerfers and I'm not that bad of a guy, if I do say so myself.

And because, dammit, a big winter war sounds like fun. Something to do when it's too cold where you are to be able to get out and play.

At this point, I'm just looking at overall interest and seeing if something like this is worthy of planning out. If you are interested in coming down, please let me know and give me ideas for when you'd be available. Hopefully we can get this thing rolling.

Oh, and one more reason:

Posted Image

I look damned good in a suit.

#330783 2013 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 11 June 2013 - 07:25 AM in Nerf Wars

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=24040

July:[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24040]6th [TX] HAMNO 2.7.1[/url]

July:[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24040]6th [TX] HAMNO 2.7.2[/url]

#330782 HAMNO 2.7.1 and 2.7.2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 11 June 2013 - 07:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Due to scheduling conflicts, we're going to host two, count 'em, two wars this month. Therefore, please pay a bit of attention.

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, July 6, 4:00 PM - Whenever and Saturday, July 20, 4:00 PM - Whenever

What to bring:
-Hydration. The cooler will make a return this war.

What Not to Bring:
-Crap darts. No exposed metal, please. I personally don't care if you're shooting slugs or domes or stock darts or what have you, but let's not go crazy. I will try to up the AMIORS count a bit.

#329544 Dart-related Nerf war accidents and dart safety tests

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 09 May 2013 - 11:37 AM in Darts and Barrels

I took an AMIOR to the chest, with white foam and green McMaster felt, last Saturday. Distance of probably 40 feet or so. The gun was an AT3K that was most likely pumped 5 times with a Hornet pump.

Still welted, but not overly painful any longer. Was a bit of a surprise on Sunday when I noticed the welt.

#327491 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 02 March 2013 - 08:42 AM in Modifications

Stipple-painted Stryfe ready for integration onto my primary HvZ blaster, once I get it painted to match.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#326775 proposing a war to a director of programs

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM in General Nerf

Just a few more suggestions:

Come with a properly-typed outline of the event in question. Include how many participants you will be inviting, how many you believe will come, and what you think the maximum manageable size would be. Do not invite more people that the manageable limit.

Don't even bring up the subject of modifications. It's an unknown that conjures images of kids with superpowered blasters hurting themselves and damaging property. Bring along a few blasters for demonstration, to show that they do not hurt and do not damage anything.

Take some time to think of what might be said in objection to the event. Plan your responses to these objections so that you can be ready if something comes up.

Set a minimum age for participation. If someone under the age wishes to participate, they must do so with a parent or legal guardian present at all times. Restrictions like that make an impression that you have truly thought about safety (when, in fact, you may just not be wanting little Timmy to come along).

Definitely make sure that you have some sort of adult supervision. By that, I mean someone who is in their late 20s at minimum, and preferably double that. The supervision makes it seem less like a bunch of teenagers running around shooting each other and more like an organized event.

Finally, in your schedule, include time for housekeeping, preferably at the end of each round. Even if it's just five minutes for a dart sweep, emphasizing housekeeping will further put the Director at her ease and make you look yet more responsible.

#325411 PETG

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 17 January 2013 - 03:33 PM in Darts and Barrels

I said if possible. The best barrel you're gonna get will involve
brass and petg- a telescoping barrel. Sorry Draconis if I came across wrong.

For the record, I haven't seen any improvement at all with a number of telescoping barrels (nor have I seen improvement with using PETG instead of CPVC for air guns). Not entirely certain why this is, but in all cases, straight CPVC has proven to provide the most effective barrels. For me. In my own experience.

#324970 HAMNO 2.1

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 31 December 2012 - 08:04 PM in Nerf Wars

First and foremost, we (well, snakerbot, ilikefish58, and myself) will be at the Houston Mini Maker Faire on January 19th. If you are interested in helping to demonstrate and plug some Nerf stuff, let me know. If you want to show up and check things out, wonderful!

www.makerfairehouston.com

Also, we have Facebook. You should have Facebook too (snakerbot). Join us or die. Or something.

http://www.facebook....37580603054643/

Posted Image

Date/Time: SUNDAY, January 20th, 11:00 AM-whenenver.

What to bring:
-Pistols: I'd like to do a pistols round that isn't just horribles.
-Melee: Everyone seems to really love our melee rounds and they will continue. Amtgard/Dagorhir guidelines are a very good idea. I would like to see people making more homemade melee weapons--the Effeminate Flail can't be the only thing!
-Hydration. There will be a cooler full of blue Gatorade and bottled water if so needed, and donations are appreciated to cover said cost, but unnecessary.

What Not to Bring:
-Crap darts. No exposed metal, please. I personally don't care if you're shooting slugs or domes or stock darts or what have you, but let's not go crazy. I will likely have a TON of AMIORS by the time we play.

Games played: Lots of free-for-all 3:15, some team/wingman games, likely melee and horrible rounds, the rest depends on attendance.

Definites:
JPRoth1980
ilikefish58

Maybes:
snakerbot

#324149 Nerf Elite Stryfe Unboxing Video

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 05 December 2012 - 02:41 PM in General Nerf

The fun part is this guy has these listed on ebay for $70. Also as hard to find and not released. What a joke. Walmart,
Toys R Us and Amazon are packed with them . I also noticed none have sold. Good luck with that.

If memory serves, he tried to do this here with Hailfires and similar and was rather decisively smacked down.

#323997 HAMNO 1.5

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 28 November 2012 - 01:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Another plug for the Facebook group. While it's not terribly active, it's useful for information and instant contact with a lot of us.

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday, December 29th, 11 AM until we get tired (4?).

What to bring:
-Eye Protection (seriously, guys, let's not get hurt)
-Blasters: Primary, Secondary, Etc. Bring more if you'd like, and loaner blasters are very important if we want to expand. Give the newbies a taste.
-Horribles: Bring at least one truly crap blaster/pistol/what-have-you
-Ball Blasters: We are getting behind on the ball rounds. Bring more ball blasters! They're great!
-Hydration. There will be a cooler full of blue Gatorade and bottled water if so needed, and donations are appreciated to cover said cost, but unnecessary.
-Melee is allowed and encouraged. Anything made by Nerf or within Dagohir/Amtgard guidelines is acceptable to me, although I reserve the right to spot-ban anything that I think is unsafe. Shields are more than fine as well, particularly if you're going melee. There WILL be melee rounds. We seem to like them a lot.

What Not to Bring:

Games played: Lots of free-for-all 3:15, some team/wingman games, likely melee and horrible rounds, the rest depends on attendance.

If people are interested, we can do a White Elephant Nerf thing. Let me know what you guys think.

Definites:
JPRoth1980

Maybes:

ALSO A BIG HUGE NOTE
Lots of us will be at TAMU the weekend of the 8th for the HvZ game there. If we are all interested, we can have a little impromptu war after the mission. Might be fun.

#323137 2012 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 28 October 2012 - 06:46 PM in Nerf Wars

November:
24th [TX] HAMNO 1.4

#323133 HAMNO 1.4

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 28 October 2012 - 06:24 PM in Nerf Wars

We have a Facebook group. You should sign up. We get neat things.

Posted Image

Date/Time: Saturday November 24th, 11 AM until we get tired.

What to bring:
-Eye Protection (seriously, guys, let's not get hurt)
-Blasters: Primary, Secondary, Etc. Bring more if you'd like, and loaner blasters are very important if we want to expand. Give the newbies a taste.
-Horribles: Bring at least one truly crap blaster/pistol/what-have-you
-Ball Blasters: We all seemed to have a blast with the ball rounds and they will continue.
-Melee is allowed and encouraged. Anything made by Nerf or within Dagohir/Amtgard guidelines is acceptable to me, although I reserve the right to spot-ban anything that I think is unsafe. Shields are more than fine as well, particularly if you're going melee. There will likely be melee rounds since those seem to go over well.

What Not to Bring:

Mobstacles remain a wonderful dream of mine that has yet to come to fruition, but we'll see what happens with the Mother-In-Law.

Definites:
JPRoth1980
ilikefish58

Maybes:
JP's wife again, who hopefully will be feeling better by then,
3 of her friends--beware the Girl Squad.
snakerbot
staltus
Russell
Marvic

Another note: I am looking for a round plastic sled. If you happen to have one for whatever reason, let me know.

#322478 Do you still use Nerf when you nerf?

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 12 October 2012 - 09:37 AM in Site Feedback

To further what Langley has said, homemades will be present and will have better range and accuracy than the typical modded Nerf-brand gun. However, I've yet to see a homemade that can match a Nerf gun for capacity or rate-of-fire, so there are at least some areas in which you can compete.

In my admittedly small local wars, one individual is to be feared with his volt-modded Barricades. Of course, he is also in much better shape than a lot of us, which helps. Another guy had quite a bit of success rushing with dual Magstrikes. And, of course, things like AT3Ks can readily compete. But most of the newer guns will be at a significant disadvantage if for no other reason than streamlines and elites fishtail.

Snaps are ridiculously easy to make, but require orders from both McMaster and Flexpvc to get the correct parts. If you don't want to wait around or order online, you can always make an RSCB'd crossbow (or heck, an Aabow) of whatever sort using material you can find at Home Depot/Lowes. This also has the advantage of having a scalable resistance.

#322330 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 08 October 2012 - 05:42 AM in Nerf Wars

-My xbow's integrated 2k broke. Turns out it blew the tubing off a barbed connector.

At least that's an easy fix, thankfully!

#322267 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 07 October 2012 - 07:23 AM in Nerf Wars

Small turnout, as per usual--we had 5 guys show. Lots of fun for everyone.

Highlights:
+PumpSnap 3.0. Holy cow is that thing nice. Making Snakerbot drop was fun.
+Russell's amazing 100+ foot shot with the crossbow. That was just pretty.
+staltus' amazing melee skills. If you have to cross blades with him, just go ahead and ask for a quick death.
+I now have 10 Panthers. Too many?
+ilikefish58's Jolt kill.
+Each time I see Snakerbot's PumpSnap it fills me with dread. That is an impressive-looking blaster.
+ilikefish58 proving, once again, that Vortex can be a force to contend with.

Lowlights:
-Small turnout again. But apparently I have four girls showing up either to October or November's war.
-staltus' damned luck. I mean, seriously.
-I had more head and handshots than everyone else combined. What gives?

#322253 2012 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 06 October 2012 - 05:18 PM in Nerf Wars

October:
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23202] 27th [TX] HAMNO 1.3[/url]

#322252 HAMNO 1.3

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 06 October 2012 - 05:15 PM in Nerf Wars

HAMNO 2 was a lot of fun. So much fun, in fact, that it's becoming HAMNO 1.2. We're taking the trip on the road this time, and heading in to catch up with all our HvZ buddies in College Station. Come up and shoot your friends.

Date: Saturday, October 27
Time: 11 AM until we get tired.

Posted Image

(Let's see if that works!)

Definites:
JPRoth1980 (+1. The wife said she'd come!)
snakerbot
ilikefish48
staltus

Maybes
Up to three more girls with JPRoth1980, because he brings all the bitches.

I don't really want to get into a big deal here. It's a Nerf war. We all know how these work.

SPECIAL HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Bring a blaster you wouldn't normally see at a war. I don't mean a horrible per se, but something a little bit... Different. Something fun, and exciting.

#322243 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 06 October 2012 - 07:44 AM in Nerf Wars

I don't know how this happens, but I seem to have lost all my balls. I had them all when I left CS after HvZ, its just after that, I have no clue. So, I'll be bringing my stock big salvo in lieu of the pulsator.

(Insert castration-themed humor here).

I've got plenty of balls, for what it's worth. Bring the Pulsator if you can. If not, no worries.

#322205 End all be all Hand Painting Guide?

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 03 October 2012 - 08:17 PM in Modifications

Just a little bit of overview:

1: You are only as good as your tools. Get good brushes, seriously, and buy decent-quality paint. Citadel is standard because of all the Warhams people out there, but Tamiya and Privateer both make great paints.

2: THIN YOUR PAINTS. I cannot stress this enough. Nerf blasters consist of lots of flat panels, which show brush strokes like crazy. Multiple thin layers will look at lot better than a single thick layer.

3: Learn to drybrush. This is a simple technique that will give you a weathered look with next to no effort. Apply paint to your brush, then wipe said brush across a disposable medium (paper towels work well here) until there is extremely little paint left. Then, using the tip of the brush only, paint over the area with quick, wide strokes. The paint will stick to raised edges and apply an uneven, weathered coat. This is also excellent for metallic paints in general.

4: Sand and prime. Black primer provides easy shading, but can muddy colors. White primer allows for bright, vivid colors but shows mistakes like crazy.

5: Keep the highlighting and shading minimal. You're not painting a 1" tall army guy that needs to be seen from a distance of 3" or so. There will be plenty of light to provide natural highlights, so use a restrained hand.

6: As with all paint jobs, you're going to want to clear coat to preserve the work. So do so.

That's just general advice, but it should get you started.

#322173 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 02 October 2012 - 07:00 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh, I see. Strong reading comprehension on my part haha. Well anyways, I would say the most cutting edge blasters I have seen so far are the polycarb +bows. I would really like to obtain one of those. I don't have access to the machines required to make one myself, so I will be on the lookout for sales threads.

We're getting way off topic here, but PlusBows really aren't the end-all, be-all anymore; in fact, they are outclassed significantly by things like PumpSnaps and RainbowPumps, both of which get similar if not greater range and have a much higher RoF. But they do look really darned cool.

I believe that ilikefish58 or Snakerbot can theoretically make a PlusBow--I lack the tools and discipline to do so--and they might be interested if you contact them.

#322157 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 02 October 2012 - 11:46 AM in Nerf Wars

Out of commission how? As in, made obsolete by a more advanced trigger/catch system? If so then please do enlighten me. My skills at blaster construction are basic but I would like to stay on the cutting edge.

I believe that what my esteemed colleague meant was that he was no longer using his version, for any of a number of reasons, by the time I started poking my nose around the local wars. Now, as far as what is "cutting edge," that's going to be a bit of a debate based largely on personal perception, particularly since there are a lot of blasters that have hit the plateau of slug performance.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the 140' ranges that SGnerf's R3L gets. It has 9" of draw while my adaptation only has around 5.5" and is hitting just past 60' with regular streamlines. I haven't finished this new batch of slugs yet, so I can't do a real distance test. I am looking forward to having the day off work tomorrow and finishing up though. I will post the results.

For what it's worth, I have a shoebox full of slugs that I can loan out during HAMNO and a pillowcase full of blanks to make more with. Locally, we have some great modders who can always give you some help if you find yourself at a bit of a sticking point as well.

#322144 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 01 October 2012 - 05:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Haha, no it doesn't do anything dangerous at all and probably isn't even in the same class (rangewise) as some of the blasters you guys are using. I'm not sure of the ranges that a NoM pumpsnap gets but if NoM built it, I'm already outclassed.

In fairness, I hadn't seen the design before, but after some research, it looks pretty darned neat. By all means, bring it over here and shoot us with it.

I could definately attend a late October HAMNO, possibly bringing another guy with me. He is mostly into paintball on the weekends but I showed him my homemade and he seemed to like the idea.

Although I am interested, I actually dont use Facebook. That must sound pretty strange huh.

I actually did not use Facebook much if at all prior to messing around with Nerf stuff. I find it useful for that, if nothing else, but I understand your reticence. In that case, keep an eye over here and we'll get things up ASAP. The primary reason for having the FB group is for somewhat more individualized information to get up there and for me to post pictures of pigs (HAMno, get it?).

#322125 HAMNO 2

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 30 September 2012 - 07:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Regarding the blaster in question, I see absolutely no problem with it on initial look, and as long as it isn't doing anything insanely dangerous, I will likely continue to see no problem with it. As Snakerbot mentioned, a few of us have some pretty high-powered stuff, and I'll be bringing a lot more to loan out.

We will likely have a HAMNO every month. This one is meant to be September's, but was pushed back due to HvZ in College Station (amongst other things). If everyone is amenable, we'll have one towards the end of October and another in November.

If you are interested, I highly recommend you join the Houston Area Nerfers FB group: http://www.facebook....37580603054643/ for more information. We're small at the moment, but with plans to continue to grow and grow. After all, wars are fun.

#321653 Vinyl Tubing Slugs

Posted by JPRoth1980 on 14 September 2012 - 10:19 PM in Darts and Barrels

The whole "metal free" goal is a strawman to actually safer darts. There's nothing special about iron or steel that's unsafe, the point is to avoid hard materials--which I take to include plastic, hot glue, and hard rubber. Sure those items aren't nearly as hard as iron, but they're plenty harder than the flesh that they're hitting.

This needs to be brought up again and again. Over the course of, well, no time, the message has been corrupted and "no metal" has become the obsession.

Slugs are suboptimal, but they are currently the only nerf dart design that works perfectly in a conventional wye hopper. So it's not a surprise that most of the designs attempt to recreate that, and most of them partially succeed. Also, the notion that darts should be aerodynamic is surprisingly controversial.

They currently work "perfectly" because other types of darts are nearly impossible to manufacture within the tolerances required. That said, the snapcap domes as presented by Taerkitty likewise work perfectly in a hopper--at least the handful I made have all worked perfectly--because they are likewise "perfect." However, since silicone/oogoo seems to be the material of choice in terms of metal-free darts, people are effectively making slugs that lack weight and, as such, are unacceptable for the NIC.

In truth, the point may be moot soon, assuming that the molded heads provided by informer are able to work in a hopper. But regardless of the situation, a "slug" minus the weight (or worse, with a weight that is slightly less dense than the hot glue it is displacing) serves no purpose aside from showing people how not to do things.