Guitarzan's Content

There have been 90 items by Guitarzan (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#330176 Dart-related Nerf war accidents and dart safety tests

Posted by Guitarzan on 23 May 2013 - 01:14 PM in Darts and Barrels

I was the guy who took him to go get first aid.
He was bleeding pretty bad. It was the worst hit I have ever seen at a Nerf war. Only fitting it would happen at the very last Massacre.
He was hit by one of his own sons darts that was shot out of another persons gun.
This was after I told him to go through his darts and pick out the bad ones.
Unfortunately I as well have no pics from that day.

and it's Talos.

Massacre 7 was the last one? Damn, that sucks. For the record massacre 7 was my first NIC war and I had a blast. And sorry for mispelling the name of your creation.

#329606 EAT Giveaway

Posted by Guitarzan on 10 May 2013 - 04:47 PM in General Nerf

Duke has mad swag
with all of his EAT's
they make my yellow A.T.
look mad obsolete

Roses are Red
Alpha Troopers are blue
If you give me one
I will love you!

Duke is awesome
He is supah chill
if he gives me an EAT
the noobs I will kill

Duke wintermaul made a tower defense
in the land of warcraft three
Now he's got 9 elite alpha troopers
So give one to me?

#329446 Dart-related Nerf war accidents and dart safety tests

Posted by Guitarzan on 07 May 2013 - 08:31 AM in Darts and Barrels

This is cheating because it's not my personal experience, however I witnessed it and I don't think the person it happened to has a nerfhaven account.

At Massacre 7 I witnessed a glue dome tear open a persons forehead. Blood squirted from his forehead on impact and it literally looked like he had just been shot with a real bullet. He continued bleeding for quite some time after that, and returned to the war about an hour later bandaged but soaked in blood. I was really surprised he didn't go get stitches.

This was caused by a poorly made glue dome with either a slingshot or ball bearing weight. Instead of a round and smooth dome, the glue was pointy and extremely jagged. I'm pretty sure a little kid brought those shitty darts, and from my point of view it looked as though a homemade airgun with a soda can for an airtank did the shooting, from about 50 feet.

I'll also share my most painful experience was getting shot by both barrels of tailo (two singled 3k's) point blank with ball bearing glue domes also at massacre 7. Bruises lasted for several days afterward.

For the record massacre 7 was fun as hell.

#329254 Pak Designs

Posted by Guitarzan on 02 May 2013 - 11:50 AM in General Nerf

Thanks for the heads up about this. The better way to go is probably just to order their products from remedy metal.

#328997 Engineering Nerf guns

Posted by Guitarzan on 24 April 2013 - 06:57 AM in Darts and Barrels

Wow man this is extremely cool. I'll weigh in my thoughts after reading through the rest of it. All I can say now is that I'm extremely impressed at the way you account for all aspects of a nerf gun, such as deadspace and the true initial and final volumes of a plunger tube. For what it's worth I'm a junior Chem major so the physics and thermodynamics stuff is right up my alley.

#328846 Fixing the Nerf Rayven / Elite Rayven

Posted by Guitarzan on 18 April 2013 - 09:37 AM in Modifications

Probably not. The wider barrel is going to allow a fishtailing dart to become more tangent to the inside wall between bounces, which would increase friction force significantly.

I agree with what you're saying though I have not tested. I think this would definitely be the case with 1/2" pvc. However, I'm willing to bet there is a threshold where if the faux barrel is wide enough the darts will never drag against it at all. Like 3/4" pvc for example.

edit: also just throwing this out there, I really like the fix to the trigger return. Most frustrating aspect of a stock rayven is it's sticky trigger.

#328793 Magstrike Air Tank Mod Revisited

Posted by Guitarzan on 16 April 2013 - 01:30 PM in Modifications

very cool! If you're carrying around a hard tank like that and rate of fire is no longer an issue, why not increase the power of the spring inside the magstrike piston for some better range?

#328782 Rules on Ammunition Types

Posted by Guitarzan on 16 April 2013 - 12:03 AM in Nerf Wars

This thread doesn't belong in the Nerf Wars forums, as the nerf wars forums is for threads about actually hosting a war.

However I feel obliged to answer your question. The cool thing about nerf is that there are no "official nerf rules." If you host a war you get to makeup the rules. My personal opinion however is that trying to create simulated "splash damage" is silly because the blast radius would be completely subjective and would thus lead to pointless arguements. Yes this makes missiles and balls rather useless, but wars with OBjective rules are much more fun. On a side note, I recommend checking out the modifications, homemades and darts and barrels forums for yourself. Do some research on how we nerf and then attend a local war.

#327690 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Guitarzan on 06 March 2013 - 08:34 AM in Modifications

Just modded my Rayven with a pair of these motors and definitely see an increase here too. I neglected to get before ranges, but the modded range varies from 40-55 feet. I removed the locks and thermistors, replaced the wiring with larger gauge, but kept the diode and capacitor. Interestingly, my GITD domed silicone and MHA pink foam darts are by far the most consistant as well as longer range than the new, stock, GITD streamlines.

I can't wait to get some Li-Ion batteries.

Question related to the use of stock darts with flywheel blasters: Your silicone domes work without chewing up the dart or the flywheels? Do you think slugs or glue domes would work too?

#327396 Strongarm turret extension, post and lock removal.

Posted by Guitarzan on 27 February 2013 - 12:56 PM in Modifications

nice! Does the turret drop mod make it any easier to reload? Is it any harder to lock the turret back into firing position?

#326582 Hasbro Swag

Posted by Guitarzan on 09 February 2013 - 09:56 PM in Site Feedback

I'm kind of curious about the internals to the elite rayven. Wondering if theres any difference between them and a normal rayven.

#324561 Rough Cut AR/peg removal

Posted by Guitarzan on 18 December 2012 - 08:50 AM in Modifications

I bought a rough cut the other day, and though I have yet to take it apart I could tell from the just using it that taking the Ar's out is a bad idea. Again I'm not totally sure how yet, but pushing the dart against the air restrictor is an integral part of the mechanism that selects which barrels the blaster is going to fire from. Without them I can guaruntee that the 2X4 functionality will be lost. You didn't really show reassembly in your writeup, but do you put part of the AR back into the blaster after removing the peg?

#323227 Hurricane Sandy

Posted by Guitarzan on 31 October 2012 - 07:15 AM in Off Topic

Where I live Sandy did not affect us too bad. Thoughts are with people who were hit harder than us.

#321984 Tactical Flashlight

Posted by Guitarzan on 25 September 2012 - 02:08 PM in Modifications

It's pretty cool that you made something useful out of a useless piece of "tacticool" gear. My friends and I play zombies late at night so I use a tactical flashlight that is similar to yours on my recon.

I need to get pictures up of my recon, which I call the "Tacticool CS-6." I added tac rails on both sides of the actual blaster, right underneath the priming handle. I also added two additional tac rails on the sides of the recon barrrel attachment. And then attached to the whole rig is a flashlight similar to yours and a "bayonet" made by putting the nerf stonewall knife inside of a recon light attachment.

#321907 AT2KLR

Posted by Guitarzan on 23 September 2012 - 04:58 PM in Modifications

dude if you removed all of the duct tape and used actual adhesive or mechanical fastening you could decrease the ghettoness by 100% and you would have a blaster that would be respectable

#321867 The (Swarmfire) GAUNTLET

Posted by Guitarzan on 22 September 2012 - 09:30 AM in Modifications

awesome job man, that is wicked cool!! Not trying to compare you to him, but have you seen the one that Ice (uin13) did back before he quit nerf?

#321139 Putty-wrap darts

Posted by Guitarzan on 28 August 2012 - 05:14 PM in Darts and Barrels

You need a short distance of foam (~1/4" minimum) to act as a pad. You do need the putty to be as far as possible towards the front for stability.

Is all that foam truly necessary though? It seems like it wouldn't hurt to chop some foam off the front and the back.

#321129 Stampede Firing Problem

Posted by Guitarzan on 28 August 2012 - 01:58 PM in General Nerf

I think owmyquach has the right idea about what could be wrong. But you really can't diagnose something until you take the darn thing apart.

#321122 Putty-wrap darts

Posted by Guitarzan on 28 August 2012 - 10:41 AM in Darts and Barrels

How come you put the putty somewhat in the middle of the dart instead of closer to the end?

#321096 Buzz Bee Range Master Brass Breech

Posted by Guitarzan on 27 August 2012 - 11:04 AM in Modifications

The size of the tank seemed comparable to a big salvo tank I had on hand. So that would be what, 100 foot ranges about?

I've actually never seen or used a big salvo tank, so I'm not sure.
Btw where did you find your rangemaster? Wal mart only carries the worthless buzz bee springers.

#321095 Buzz Bee Range Master Brass Breech

Posted by Guitarzan on 27 August 2012 - 11:04 AM in Modifications

The size of the tank seemed comparable to a big salvo tank I had on hand. So that would be what, 100 foot ranges about?

I've actually never seen or used a big salvo tank, so I'm not sure.
Btw where did you find your rangemaster? Wal mart only carries the worthless buzz bee springers.

#321077 Buzz Bee Range Master Brass Breech

Posted by Guitarzan on 27 August 2012 - 01:28 AM in Modifications

whats the size of the tank in this thing compared to other air guns commonly used? Do you guys think plugging the OPV will be a fair/ acceptable thing to do for wars? Also, it seems like this thing desperately needs a pump replacement considering while pumping you are also opening and closing the breech, which could ruin your brass if you pump fast at all.

#319986 Apoc Reaction/Feedback Thread

Posted by Guitarzan on 05 August 2012 - 06:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Really really awesome war overall. My friend that I brought with me is hooked on stefan nerf now and we have plans to get upstate New York nerf wars going. My favorite rounds were the sudden death TDM that we did over and over at one point, and the Freeze tag rounds that the Sex Dwarves were cool enough to show us. All of the hosts did an excellent job hosting and I give a big thanks to them. It was really cool that the LGLF+ Vacc were also really good at being "team captains" of sorts and lead teams into battle. Will be back next year and will be bringing a bigger crew of upstate New Yorkers.

My biggest Con had nothing to do with the actual nerfing itself. We think somebody stole our GPS out of my car. This was the kickoff to a rough trip home. I would be extremely pissed if I ever found out it was a nerfer, but I don't think it was.

Only suggestion for future wars: Never play a single round in an area adjacent to a path where people are walking again.

#319671 Apoc 2012 Dart Restrictions

Posted by Guitarzan on 02 August 2012 - 10:52 AM in Nerf Wars

So in preparation for this war I ordered a batch of 1/8" thick, 1/2" diameter WHITE adhesive backed bumpers for slug making. (mcmaster.com of course) 1000 slugs later I'm realizing that the white ones aren't actually as thick as the green ones for some stupid frickin reason. Please please tell me it won't be a problem for me to use these at Apoc, or else I'm pretty much screwed.

#318793 Retaliator dart tooth

Posted by Guitarzan on 19 July 2012 - 09:26 AM in Modifications

Yeah, I did it right before posting, the mechanism may be different, but all the screw holes, and similar parts are in the same place

I was slightly wrong about the "no modification" however, it should be "no modification necessary, but some is suggested" there is a 3mm notch in the end of the breech this allows the lock to be disengaged before the door opens. It is not necessary to do with a stock breech/barrel you just need a brisk (for lack of better word forward motion when priming)

that's pretty cool then.

#318783 Retaliator dart tooth

Posted by Guitarzan on 19 July 2012 - 01:06 AM in Modifications

Have you done this yourself?? I don't think it would be easy at all to install a retaliator dart tooth in a recon. The 2 different style dart tooths use completely different mechanisms.

#318123 N-Strike vs Vortex

Posted by Guitarzan on 07 July 2012 - 09:36 AM in General Nerf

Here's some of my raw data I didn't get much more rigorous than this, and my experiences with these blasters at wars supports my data. I think the perception that the discs are "traveling slowly" is a purely psychological one.

Alright, based on your data im willing to except that maybe the percieved slowness is psychological. I'll pay attention to that at the next war and my friend just acquired a chronograph so hopefully I can make my own tests too. Thanks for sharing your findings.

#318096 N-Strike vs Vortex

Posted by Guitarzan on 06 July 2012 - 08:44 PM in General Nerf

What if I told you that Vortex blasters have a higher initial velocity than N-strike blasters (60fps vs 45fps)? And moreover, that their velocity drops off slower than N-strike blasters? They seem slower, but are not.

I don't mean this in any personal way against you but I would ask to see proof. I definitely believe the vortex discs maintain their initial velocity for the duration of flight though.

#318055 N-Strike vs Vortex

Posted by Guitarzan on 06 July 2012 - 01:49 AM in General Nerf

I'm definitely a bigger fan of the N-strike series. Vortex has superior range, but that's cause they shoot miniature frisbees. The initial velocity of the N-strike blasters is what makes them more appealing to me, especially with the elite series being released. The vortex blasters just shoot so stinkin slow that enemies have time to evade and even laugh at how pathetically slow the frisbee is travelling. The modding potential is higher for the N-strike as well. The elite blasters actually have the potential for things like barrel replacements. As far as I know, the only known way to mod a vortex blaster is to either replace the torsion spring or move it to a new position so that it gets more compression. lame.

With indoor stock dart wars, my friends and I allow for ricochet hits from a vortex disc to be counted as a live hit. This does redeem the vortex series a bit and makes them pretty fun to use.

#317286 Nerf Red Strike Series

Posted by Guitarzan on 21 June 2012 - 11:02 AM in General Nerf

I totally feel the same way, nerf guns only have value to me based on how much fun they are to play with. That longshot is an extremely rare blaster, and the $179 price tag you saw on ebay is truly approximately it's worth. So sell it and use the money to buy a couple blasters with modding potential, some modding supplies and some dart making supplies and you'll have nerfing gear you can actually use.

Out of curiosity, did the longshot come with the front gun and the scope??

#317224 Nining a Recon

Posted by Guitarzan on 20 June 2012 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

Very very impressive man, you actually made a useful recon. I'm looking at doing something like this, but im waiting for the elite blasters so I at least have a stock plunger tube to work with.

#317057 SuperMax 1500 Modification

Posted by Guitarzan on 16 June 2012 - 07:51 AM in Modifications

Is it common for the barrels to come off that easily?? Mine definitely were joined with adhesive.... Even sticking them in boiling water repeatedly wasn't enough to get em apart.

#316969 Apocalypse 2012

Posted by Guitarzan on 14 June 2012 - 12:38 AM in Nerf Wars

I am 100% down for this war. I will be bringing an unknown (but probably large) number of friends with me. Depends on how many of my friends i can pressure into modding their blasters further than taking out air restrictors.

#316942 Video from UBCon 23

Posted by Guitarzan on 12 June 2012 - 10:12 PM in Nerf Wars

i love watching the kids who think that thrusting their arms forward as they shoot is somehow gonna help their ranges. getting the dart moving at an extra 2 fps is gonna help a ton! not. That event looks sick though, im jealous that i couldn't be there.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

#316902 BullPAC

Posted by Guitarzan on 12 June 2012 - 01:21 AM in Homemades

im new to the homemade scene and my opinion doesn't count for much but awesome job! I always enjoy reading stuff made by inovators rather than duplicators.

I'm disappointed to hear that such a well designed blaster is so inefficient though.

#316317 Swarmfire Reshell

Posted by Guitarzan on 30 May 2012 - 02:59 PM in General Nerf

my vote is totally on the needler just cause it's awesome. But dude, how did you make such a flawless paper model of the thing?? That's really impressive man!

#315982 Air Tank Tube Connection

Posted by Guitarzan on 22 May 2012 - 12:15 AM in Modifications

very well done man. Thanks again for sharing this. i am officially going to MIG overhaul my 3k and sm1.5k after already ryan overhauling them. That includes the tank reinforcements and tubing. Honestly once myself and others figure out how to fit the reinforced tanks back into shells i think MIG overhauling air blasters will really catch on.

#315880 Air Tank Reinforcement

Posted by Guitarzan on 19 May 2012 - 12:17 PM in Modifications

the playdough idea is actually really creative. Would you ever be willing to show us pictures of the internals of some of the blasters you've done this to? I know I'm asking for alot at this point, but picking the brain of experts is one of the best ways to learn in my opinion

Edit: I'm trying this method out on my 3k today. But im actually gonna use fiberglass mesh and fiberglass resin instead. This stuff is expensive and i probably wouldn't reccomend it, but i had the stuff lying around from the time we patched a hole in a kayak.

#315809 Air Tank Reinforcement

Posted by Guitarzan on 16 May 2012 - 09:13 PM in Modifications

MIG thanks for answering my question man, that helps alot. I'd love to see how you fit these tanks back into some of your blasters. At this point im strongly considering doing this to my 3k and my sm1.5k.

#315790 Air Tank Reinforcement

Posted by Guitarzan on 16 May 2012 - 08:35 AM in Modifications

nice job man! Just so I can get a frame of reference, what are the normal operating pressures for like a at3k tank and a sm1500 tank? I know you mentioned they rupture pretty quickly at 45 psi, but I'm trying to guage whether or not to do this to my airguns if they'll last just fine on say 30 psi and still get great ranges.