nine's Content

There have been 127 items by nine (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#352861 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by nine on 19 April 2016 - 08:31 AM in Modifications

Do you have access to a chronograph? That would pretty much quell any disagreement on how effective these are. Also, I noticed that the new flywheels aren't sitting quite in the centre of their housing. Would adding a spacer to the post they're on further decrease vibration?

#352859 boomco burst wave internal breakdown

Posted by nine on 18 April 2016 - 10:59 PM in Modifications

you cannot rear load this blaster unless you changed it to a single barrel per turret. the air comes in from a single hole in the back then goes through a little manifold system and comes out at the base of each dart peg. 

Well that's no fun.  I guess it might have the potential to be the air power equivalent of the quadshot though.  I might have to pick one of these up if that's the case.

#352849 boomco burst wave internal breakdown

Posted by nine on 17 April 2016 - 09:50 PM in Modifications

How much shell work would it take to make this thing rear loading? It looks like there's a decent amount of space around the two non-firing turrets, but would you be able to load all four barrels easily from the back?

#348476 Airgin mod questions

Posted by nine on 21 August 2015 - 12:07 PM in Modifications

The 4b tank would take a higher pressure to achieve, so in order to fill BOTH tanks it would take quite a bit of pumping, also, I'm not sure of the difference in tank strength, but you could risk blowing the salvo tank.

I completely agree that it will take a lot of pumping, and I could be completely wrong in saying that since the big blast has a larger volume it will have more air flowing to it than the Salvo while still having the same pressure.

Again, this isn't really my element but it's one of the principles that I used in making my panther arm cannon

#348471 Airgin mod questions

Posted by nine on 21 August 2015 - 10:52 AM in Modifications

#1, Yeah. It will. Just plan on pumping it quite a bit to fill both tanks, and if you don't set up some type of way to switch tanks, I'd imagine you'd damage the big Salvo tank when trying to get the BBBB tank up to pressure.

Pumping up the 4B tank with the Salvo already at pressure wouldn't be an issue since air always moves from high pressure to low pressure. No air will go to the Salvo until it and the 4B tank are at equal pressure.

#348449 Keep Score Electronically

Posted by nine on 19 August 2015 - 09:37 PM in Nerf Wars

This looks like a pretty good idea actually! I'm not sure how familiar you are with the dart making precess followed by most NIC members, but the vast majority of nerfers make their own darts with foam backer rod and #6 washers as outlined in Ryan's dartmaking guide. If there was a way to produce magnetic washers of a similar size for a reasonable price (most people can make darts for around $0.06 a piece) then I think you will see far more people using your product.

Again, this looks like a great way to involve more people in the hobby and I hope that it goes a long way. Just make sure not to let these grumps cramp your style B)

#348420 Crossfire Bow + Blastzooka Integration

Posted by nine on 16 August 2015 - 09:12 PM in Modifications

This is really awesome! I especially like how you made such a versatile blaster with only one air tank rather than strapping a springer to the bottom of an airgun.
Do you have any problems with the lever slipping down from the top position and blocking airflow?

#345400 New flashlight in the Deploy

Posted by nine on 08 March 2015 - 03:56 PM in Modifications

This is awesome! I might be the only person to say this but I absolutely love the Deploy. It might not be the best gun, but there's a lot of empty space in the back that lets you do almost anything with the blaster. Being able to do all that while still being tacticool with a useable flashlight is like a dream come true.

#345312 Integration materials?

Posted by nine on 01 March 2015 - 03:42 PM in Modifications

I usually use hot glue to get the shells to stay where I want them, and then use a nice layer of epoxy putty to add strength to the connection. Using a mechanical connection would probably be the best way to make sure that your blasters don't end up coming apart though, for there really isn't any adhesive that's going to be as strong as screws.

#345130 Switch Shot converted into N-Strike attachment!

Posted by nine on 20 February 2015 - 01:50 PM in Modifications

I like both of those ideas. I never thought of hotgluing the clips before so I might try that. Thanks!

Also, I found out that the attachment can be primed consistently, without popping off whatever main blaster it's on, if you specifically pull downward a little instead of (more naturally) pulling upwards on the priming handle. I'll be sure to test out that hotglue theory and see about buying some form of 3D printed pieces as well.

Hopefully it actually works then! If it does, then I can see this being a really useful way to attach a backup shot to any blaster.

#345122 Switch Shot converted into N-Strike attachment!

Posted by nine on 20 February 2015 - 02:14 AM in Modifications

...yes...? I have been able to prime it while attached, but with the extra spring in there its about a 50/50 chance it will pop off. However, It is strong enough vertically that I can carry a stampede under it. I may try taking out the stronger spring and try priming it then. If I was going to use this in a war I would probably just zip tie the attachment to the blaster temporarily.

I kind of figured that the stock n-strike rail attachments would give you some problems in that area. Maybe some aftermarket or 3D printed rail mounts would work a bit better for this purpose, as they are usually quite a bit stronger and not as likely to fall off. You might also be able to hotglue the two clips in place so that the attachment has a bit more grip while still being removable.

#345119 Switch Shot converted into N-Strike attachment!

Posted by nine on 20 February 2015 - 12:13 AM in Modifications

This is pretty neat, and quite clean actually. Can you still prime the switchshot while it's attached to a tactical rail?

#345101 Nerf Modulus Information

Posted by nine on 19 February 2015 - 03:45 PM in General Nerf

Did you get any information on the internals or how easy it will be to modify this blaster? I don't see any priming mechanism outside of the blaster, so I'm guessing that it's flywheel powered. As much as people seem to like flywheel blasters, I don't find them that fun to mod or use.

#345079 Some upcoming Mattel blasters for the year

Posted by nine on 19 February 2015 - 12:19 AM in General Nerf

Wow, these are really cool! I see that the tri-barreled one is flywheel operated, but do you have any idea how the Halo ones will work?

#345070 Dual power sources

Posted by nine on 18 February 2015 - 09:53 PM in Modifications

So did you just add an extra power source somewhere in the blaster wired in parallel? It would be a lot easier to see what you did if you posted some internal pictures.

#345031 Doubledown...Single Project

Posted by nine on 16 February 2015 - 04:33 PM in Modifications

How does this mod compare to something like a singled Nitefinder or Firestrike? It looks like the way the plunger tube sits on top of the shell would make it hard to add big springs without the blaster flying apart.

#344998 Elite to N-Strike Splicing?

Posted by nine on 13 February 2015 - 05:40 PM in Modifications

Clearly you have missed the fact that the EAT is discontinued, making this modification relevant again. There isn't much that is cataloged here, but there is an entry for the same procedure using a Recon. Naturally, the Retaliator internals are slightly different than those of the EAT, so there will be some modification beyond what is in the thread. I'll be attempting the same procedure using a set of Rampage internals, so I'll expect to see some progress pics, Tobias!

Well, it seems like I may have overlooked that detail in my absence. Thanks for the clarification, and good luck with getting the Rampage internals to fit.

#344993 Elite to N-Strike Splicing?

Posted by nine on 13 February 2015 - 04:27 PM in Modifications

I don't think many people bothered with trying to fit a retaliator into old alpha troopers after the elite alpha trooper came out and did that work for them in a far easier, more cost effective way.
For future reference, using site:nerfhaven.com before your search term on Google is an easy way to look for a specific topic on the site without having to deal with the built in search function.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat helpful.

#344981 The PullSCRT

Posted by nine on 13 February 2015 - 09:27 AM in Homemades

It's not exactly a new concept, guys, just a new (probably cheaper)implementation of the long lost art of telescoping brass barrels: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=1610 (see the last two paragraphs) and pictures here: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6766

Thanks for pointing that out, but if there hasn't been much discussion on telescoping barrels since 2004 I feel like my question is fairly reasonable. I haven't seen anyone using aluminum as a barrel material in this way before, so I got a bit curious.

#344976 The PullSCRT

Posted by nine on 13 February 2015 - 12:54 AM in Homemades

Nice work as always Ryan. Your 3D modelling and designs are quite excellent and the blaster looks great, but quite honestly I'm more interested in the reasoning behind the cpvc/aluminum barrel combination you're using. Does the larger inner diameter just allow the air from the plunger tube to be used more effectively after getting the initial pop from the cpvc?

#344863 A new barreling material

Posted by nine on 08 February 2015 - 01:43 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would love to get some if I knew what it was and if it was useful at all.

#338079 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 06 April 2014 - 01:40 PM in General Nerf

Okay everyone, I have been put in charge of making the introductory video for the channel. If you want to be a part of the face of the channel, leave a response in the thread. It doesn't have to be anything special or well edited, just something like this will do:

Leave a response, and I will do my best to cut you into the video. Also leave your channel url if you want to be linked in the video description.

Thanks for being a part of this awesome community, and I look forward to seeing this channel come to life.

#338027 Zing z-tek bow mods

Posted by nine on 04 April 2014 - 12:11 AM in Modifications

Those of us lucky enough not to live in Canada can copy and paste the URL in to another window and see the pictures.

Oh, my bad.

As for the mod, nice idea with the plasti-dipped arrows. Does it make any difference in the amount of grip?

#338020 Zing z-tek bow mods

Posted by nine on 03 April 2014 - 06:10 PM in Modifications

For starters, you need to get those pictures working before we can see what you did. You need to copy the embed code rather than the image url.

Try that, and then we can give you some feedback.

#337998 Reliably Hoppering Silicone Darts

Posted by nine on 02 April 2014 - 04:48 PM in Darts and Barrels

You may want to review your own video, above, frame by frame. Everyone else can. Let me recap the shots for you:
1) white area inches away to the right of the leaf
2) right edge of flag, not even in the white
3) stem of leaf
4) completely missed flag(!)
5) well below leaf though at least still in the white
6) I got bored and don't care any more so let's say that one hit the center (okay, 'centre') of the leaf. One for six.

Okay, that said ... this is a cool innovation. I'm shamed for never thinking of it. Yes, I expect there will be some costs paid in both range and accuracy, but the trade-off for ROF is bound to be worthwhile in a lot of cases. Testing the method and attempting to measure the trade-offs is a great idea.

Okay ... next, who wants to turn their hopper around too, and see if /that/ works?
I claim the name "rainbow unicorn" for a blaster to be constructed later.

Well, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention while firing. Thank you for correcting me though. Also, rainbow unicorn sounds like a great name, though I don't see what turning the wye around would accomplish.

#337984 Terrible Tornado (photo heavy)

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Wow, nice work with this blaster. I especially like how you just crammed every last cubic inch of that blaster with tanks and tubing, but maintained a very good looking exterior.
If I had the money to buy a bunch of vintage blasters, I would definitely make this thing.

#337979 Reliably Hoppering Silicone Darts

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 09:44 PM in Darts and Barrels

Wow haha, a year or two of ideas and time consuming wyes and all you had to do was flip the dart around. Is there a decrease in range? Since the dart has to use some extra energy and spin in the air (being less aerodynamic) I would expect a slight range difference, but not a very impressive one.

I feel like there is a bit of a decrease in velocity, but a very minimal one. I haven't done any extensive tests with muzzle velocities and ranges, but any difference is quite marginal.

One of my professors used to say that innovative design makes people think "How did I not think of that?". That's definitely what I'm thinking right now. My only concern with this method is accuracy, which is unfortunately difficult to test. Hopefully the dart can do a 180 and keep a straight path.

Haha, thanks. Most of my findings are quite qualitative, so I don't have much support for my observations. However, I do feel like there is not much of a difference in accuracy. I'm having no problems hitting the centre of my maple leaf with the flipped darts.

I tested this out briefly at a MHA war last year and found loading them backwards reduced range and accuracy.

Reliability was significantly improved when used with non-corn starched darts, but equally reliable to those that were coated in corn starch and loaded normal.

I would agree with this, though again, I have not done much range testing. To me, this seems preferable to coating my darts with corn starch, though might be just me.

#337973 Reliably Hoppering Silicone Darts

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 07:47 PM in Darts and Barrels

And you just single handedly completely destroyed the market for 3D printed wyes.
I'd better start looking for a job.

Oops, sorry Kronos. 3D printed wyes are still cooler at least.

#337969 Reliably Hoppering Silicone Darts

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 07:11 PM in Darts and Barrels

So I had seen Kane's video of firing darts backwards out of a hopper, where his slug darts fired reliably regardless of orientation. I decided to try a similar test with silicone domes, and my findings may have solved the current problem of wanting safe darts that also fire from hopper clips. As it turns out, one can load silicone stefans with a significantly sized head into a hopper clip and still fire reliably.

The phenomenon can be observed in this video:

I am using a homemade wye, but it does have a close to 45 degree angle that the dart has to bend around.

Again, all it takes to fire silicone tipped darts from a hopper is to load them into the hopper clip backwards. The darts turn around in the air a few meters in front of the blaster, but they seem to stabilize fairly quickly afterwards.

#337967 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 01 April 2014 - 06:30 PM in General Nerf

I will be having one of my bi-weekly wars soon, and i guess i can get some war footage of that. we get around 60 people every other week in a large building that simulates an urban environment.
along with some footage of modifications or nerf builds (i specifically have my howler in mind as it has yet to be painted and finished.)

Great! I look forward to seeing both the footage and the blaster.

#337923 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 04:10 PM in General Nerf

Nice. Paintbush seems a little out of place but that probably says more about how I spend my time modding than it does about the quality of the title card.

I'm open to changing it if anyone can think of something that would fit the theme better.

#337922 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 04:03 PM in Modifications

Finally modded something new:

It's a wrist mounted blaster that remains useable when using another blaster.

Posted Image

How it fits on the arm:

Posted Image

Close up of the trigger system:

Posted Image

And a video outlining the Effeminateness of the blaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNaMchXvKQ

#337918 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 31 March 2014 - 03:38 PM in General Nerf

Looks great, can you put the raw file into the channel dropbox?

Edit, just to avoid reposting the video

Thanks! I'll put it in the dropbox as soon as I get the link.

Nice nine, that looks awesome. Could you try and put it in the Dropbox?

Glad you like it. Where can I find this magic dropbox exactly?

The title card looks clean, good work.

Thanks, that means a lot.

#337900 Nerf Halo blaster help

Posted by nine on 30 March 2014 - 10:52 PM in General Nerf

Hey, thanks for clicking on this. Anywho, I need help on a cosmetic mod I want to do for an Elite Rayven. I want to make it look like a Halo 4 Battle Rifle. I'm planning on upgrading the voltage, removing locks and installing an ammo counter like on the model in the game, as well as relocating the top rail forward a bit more. The problem I'm having is the rifle is too short, and suggestions on how to make it a little longer and still look like the model? I also want to keep the same bullpup loading system. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Is the Rayven too short, or is the Battle Rifle? If the Rayven is too short, I would suggest modifying one of Hasbro's existent barrel extensions. I'm assuming that you don't care that much about ranges, because you are trying to make a nerf gun look like it came from a video game. You could also use some polycarbonate to make a more custom extension to the front of the gun, but I'm not sure if you have the tools and/or materials to do so.

Regardless, good luck with whatever you end up doing.

#337899 NERF COLLABORATION CHANNEL

Posted by nine on 30 March 2014 - 10:36 PM in General Nerf

I took some time today to make a title card for the channel. If everyone likes the way it looks, we can use it to introduce all of the videos.

Let me know what you think of the design, as well as any improvements that I should make to the intro.

#337724 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 26 March 2014 - 11:18 PM in General Nerf

I haven't had anything to upload lately :( I want to upload things, but there's nothing to show nor update, sooooo...
I'm interested to see where this goes. With multiple people putting up videos, the only concern I have is upload overload. Don't become Machinima or other popular channels that upload 5-10 videos a day. It's really annoying.

I don't see that many videos going up weekly. Only one or two would be posted every week, with a priority on quality.

Even if we pulled together most of the A list builders around here, there's no way in heaven we'd get that many uploads in a day, or in a week for that matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems more like it would be a once-per-week overview of the activities of builders at that point in time with a few extra goodies tossed in. Personally, I can only put in one, maybe two uploads per month with my schedule. This would be a nice way to keep people interested, and see new channels from Nerfers they otherwise wouldn't know about.

I am also a Youtube Nerfer. I would have no problem lending in some footage so long as credit was given. In this way both the conglomerate channel and my personal channel can grow from this. Even loaning war footage I would be OK with so long as the contributor got credit for it.

This is pretty much what I think the channel will be used for. I believe that it is important for both the community and individuals involved to grow through this channel, so appropriate credit and linkage will be given in each video. I look forward to seeing your content on the channel.

Don't worry Bobo, we will only be doing one 10-20 minute episode eachweek depending on the topic. I also would love your help as a runner of the site if you can.

I don't see a reason to put such a large time on the videos, but there is really no reason to put any constraints on the creativity of the excellent nerving community. No more than a couple videos would go up each week though, to make sure that nobody's content is buried by new videos.

#337659 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by nine on 25 March 2014 - 12:55 AM in Darts and Barrels

Friction measurements are one thing we seriously lack. The problem in Nerf is actually worse than you might imagine. The friction force is a function of the coefficient of friction and the normal force. Neither is known. Roughly, what we do know is that tighter barrels will have higher normal force and that some materials have less friction than others.

I recall discussing some ways to estimate the friction force with Split a while back. He used the bulk modulus to estimate the normal force. I suggested something more complicated that probably would not be much more accurate than his approach. I should look more closely into this.

Spud gunners use a simulator called GGDT which allows you to specify the total friction pressure, which I call the pressure of friction. This is basically the total friction force divided by the surface area. It represents how high the pressure needs to rise for the projectile to move and In GGDT, static and dynamic friction are equal, which is not realistic or necessary, so I don't make this simplification. I stole this notation for my own work.

If you can blow a dart down a barrel, you can be sure that the static pressure of friction is lower than the maximum pressure your lungs can generate, which seems to be about 0.9 to 1.4 psi for men.

As for ideal barrel length, I'll make a thread detailing two simplified theories I developed, how to measure this experimentally, and how to estimate this via a computer simulator. My simplified theories give very approximate equations which can be useful to get a rough estimate of the actual ideal barrel length and understand the basic factors involved in ideal barrel length.

What if one were to put a dart into a barrel, and then place a light wooden dowel into the barrel behind the dart. Then, continually add mass in small increments to the dowel until the dart starts to move. At that point, the mass of the weighted dowel would approximately equal the Ffs of the dart in the barrel. Assuming that earth's gravity is 9.81m/s/s [down] at all locations, converting this mass to force in Newtons would be fairly simple.

I have no idea how many variables would need to be accounted for in order to solve for barrel length, but it seems logical to say that the best barrel length would be found where the acceleration of the dart equals zero. This would correlate with the maximum muzzle velocity of the dart. If there was a way to track the position of the dart inside of the barrel, it would be easy enough to make a function from that data, find the second derivative of that function and solve for y=0.

I'm not entirely sure if any of this is exactly practical, or if it is the best way to solve this problem. I would love to hear what you think about the subject, and hopefully the community will eventually find a use for the fruits of this labor.

#337637 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by nine on 23 March 2014 - 10:25 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would say that coefficients of friction for various brands of FBR on various brands of CPVC would be a good idea, but there is probably far too much inconsistency for useable data to be accumulated. Perhaps some common match ups could be outlined if a universal barrel length formula is ever created.

#337613 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 23 March 2014 - 03:09 AM in General Nerf

I had a few ideas like"NIC Official" or "Nerf Tube" (super original lol) but if anyone can come up with a better name, feel free to comment it.

What about the Nerf Internet Community Channel, or NICC for short. Seems like that would sum up what the channel is trying to achieve.

#337605 Joint youtube channel

Posted by nine on 22 March 2014 - 08:50 PM in General Nerf

Alright guys, I need some ideas on how the channel should work. I thought I might either have a community password so people could upload their own videos, but I didn't want people spamming the channel with bad-quality stuff. On the other hand, I could have a group of "channel leaders" (3-4 nerfers who like editing and are good at it) that could edit together clips that people post on a separate topic. This way, I have some help editing videos and we can keep the videos frequent. Any other suggestions?

Well, I would have no problems contributing my videos or just editing war footage that people send to me. I probably won't be that active, but I think I could manage posting a video once a month to the channel.

Edit: Also, I think that having only a core group of people with full access to the channel would be for the best.