CaptainSlug's Content

There have been 1000 items by CaptainSlug (Search limited from 02-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364655 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 August 2021 - 10:34 AM in Nerf Wars

Due to absence of TED, Jaxon is the best

#364642 APOCALYPSE 2021 - NEW LOCATION SAME TIME

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 June 2021 - 01:51 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there.

#364023 APOC 2019 - Saturday August 3rd in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by CaptainSlug on 27 June 2019 - 09:30 AM in Nerf Wars

I won't be able to make it this year. Nowhere convenient to abandon my children and one of them is no fun on car trips.

#364014 I will be at Armageddon XX.

Posted by CaptainSlug on 24 June 2019 - 01:00 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm going to make it. No idea where I will sleep though.

#363502 ESPER - Elastic Spring Plunger Experiment (with a) Really cool name

Posted by CaptainSlug on 18 November 2018 - 09:51 PM in Homemades

STL Files are now public: https://www.thingive...m/thing:3223214

Hardware list: 

ehk1.gif

First "production" unit has shipped

esper_04.jpgesper_05.jpg

And I have my first set of chronograph data.

esper_data.png

#363485 ESPER - Elastic Spring Plunger Experiment (with a) Really cool name

Posted by CaptainSlug on 13 November 2018 - 11:26 PM in Homemades

What blaster would you compare this to in size? It looks neat, but I'm wondering how usable this would be as a sidearm.

IMG_20181112_231420.jpg

#363481 ESPER - Elastic Spring Plunger Experiment (with a) Really cool name

Posted by CaptainSlug on 12 November 2018 - 11:46 AM in Homemades

It's nylon-covered elastic cord, typically used for bungees. 3/16" is the specific size I designed around, but I'm using 1/8" for the accessories. For further novelty it is offered in a variety of colors.

#363479 ESPER - Elastic Spring Plunger Experiment (with a) Really cool name

Posted by CaptainSlug on 12 November 2018 - 10:37 AM in Homemades

17 inches overall length (1.1 stryfes)
10kg max load (3 bands)
Top-slide prime (of the plunger and ramrod assembly)
Hardware Kit Price: $30
Assembled Price: $70

Planned File Release Date: November 25th
Current fps avg: 122 (with an unsealed breech)

Hardware kit will be: Barrel, Ramrod Core, Plunger Tube, 123 o-rings, 012 o-rings, elastic cord (1 or 2 sizes), two 13-1/4" length of 10-32 threaded rod, 4-40 screws, 10-32 screws, hex nuts.

The plunger catch surface is way at the back end of it so it won't be compatible with typical compression springs. At a later date I will look at what possible small OD springs could be used that would fit inside of the catch surface portion of the plunger, but that would be an aside.

The elastic cords are really really cheap compared to steel springs and changing the spring load on this thing is as easy as opening the fore-end and taking off or adding another band. And there are alternative options for band types and materials to toy with as well.

#363477 ESPER - Elastic Spring Plunger Experiment (with a) Really cool name

Posted by CaptainSlug on 12 November 2018 - 08:29 AM in Homemades

I have been working on this quietly for a few weeks now. I wanted to wait until it had some tangible results. This is largely and experiment in reduced build cost, and this is looking to be the lowest material cost blaster I have ever made. Even cheaper than DCHAP or any SNAPs I've ever built.

STL Files: https://www.thingive...m/thing:3223214

esper_00.jpg

esper_01.jpg

esper_02.jpg

#363332 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by CaptainSlug on 12 September 2018 - 08:14 AM in Homemades

Takedown magwell has made assembly and packaging significantly less stressful, but not any less time-consuming.

41556877_308569183291810_913430282468170

#363266 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by CaptainSlug on 10 August 2018 - 07:06 AM in Homemades

hx9tvwer8d911.jpg

o4pcajviq6f11.jpg

Both secondary ammo type designs are now finished and working as desired. Rival file set has been updated. MEGA file set will be updated later today.

#363173 SuperNoVA - July 14th - Herndon, VA

Posted by CaptainSlug on 07 July 2018 - 11:43 AM in Nerf Wars

One week to go

#363166 How to get account deleted

Posted by CaptainSlug on 02 July 2018 - 08:57 AM in Site Feedback

Me. But if your intent is to re-register your account we don't permit that. We would prefer to just alter your existing one.

#363142 Armageddon XIX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/23/18)

Posted by CaptainSlug on 25 June 2018 - 07:01 AM in Nerf Wars

I have a thirst. A thirst for photos.

Edit: Slackers the lot of ye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpwDUOfoZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fNVOBH3OX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvkmoUCavw

#363106 SuperNoVA - July 14th - Herndon, VA

Posted by CaptainSlug on 14 June 2018 - 01:34 PM in Nerf Wars

July 14th 2018
9AM to 1PM

Bruin Park
415 Van Buren St
Herndon VA 20170

50/50 NIC & Superstock
BYOD (Bring your own darts)

Cheap lunch to be provided for those that RSVP. Iz gon be hawt, so drinks provided too.
bruin_000.jpg
bruin_001.jpg
bruin_003.jpg

#362991 APOCALYPSE 2018 - Saturday August 4th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by CaptainSlug on 08 May 2018 - 06:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh yes

#362971 Plastic Safe Lubricants

Posted by CaptainSlug on 01 May 2018 - 08:20 AM in General Nerf

What about silicone safe wd40, it works well (for me) on air blasters, and springers

"wd" stands for "water displacement". It's not an actual lubricant, but rather and cleaning/isolating solution. And as such its base component is typically a solvent. The aerosol components from spray cans are also not safe for application directly onto plastics.

You are better off using a clear silicone grease with as few additives as possible.

#362853 Cheap Mods?

Posted by CaptainSlug on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM in Modifications

There is a rather active Nerf group in NYC.

#362839 Armageddon XIX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/23/18)

Posted by CaptainSlug on 04 April 2018 - 08:42 AM in Nerf Wars

Same weekend as EndWar, which I'm only sort-of attending so I probably won't be able to make it.

#362749 SuperNoVA - Herndon VA - March 17th 2018

Posted by CaptainSlug on 17 March 2018 - 03:52 PM in Nerf Wars

16 attendees. That was fun.

Boy it was cold.

Let's do it again in a few months.

#362730 [WIP / Design] Chimera

Posted by CaptainSlug on 14 March 2018 - 07:17 AM in Homemades

You don't really have to start from a blank sheet if all you want is a shortened Caliburn. You can just trade available plunger stroke for spring compression (and as a result slightly less deadspace). You can also shorten the ramrod a bit to gain a little effective barrel length.

Your multi-catch plunger concept however is really interesting. And that's one thing that a diameter increase can accomplish. Given that the Caliburn was designed with the option of using Schedule 40 PVC for the plunger tube you probably have room in the stock area to use 1-1/2" ID 1-5/8" OD tubing for the plunger tube by just redesigning the pieces for the stock.

#362686 Rifled barrels

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 March 2018 - 02:01 PM in Darts and Barrels

Waffle tips are LESS affected because they're really heavy.

The SCAR barrel is primarily compensating for not having a completely ideal barrel length for a given dart. But ideal length is a kind of nebulous thing that has a lot of variables, so having something you can adjust slightly is beneficial.

#362659 purple catch Dimensions

Posted by CaptainSlug on 06 March 2018 - 12:43 PM in Homemades

I'm going to guess that they are in inches, so you need to scale them by 25.4 in your slicer software.

#362592 New Fang Revamped Motors

Posted by CaptainSlug on 19 February 2018 - 08:14 AM in Modifications

This is a question you should ask the seller of said motor.

#362550 (WIP / DESIGN) Homemade SplitFire.

Posted by CaptainSlug on 15 February 2018 - 12:13 PM in Homemades

If you make some small changes to the trigger arm it will be easy to print upside down and will come out really nicely. Just draft a 45 degree angle into the surfaces in these two locations.

gOVrhz2.jpg

#362510 (WIP / DESIGN) Homemade SplitFire.

Posted by CaptainSlug on 10 February 2018 - 07:16 PM in Homemades

You don't need to include two pumps if you simply use a wye fitting and then an inline check valve for each tank.

And to make those shell parts less challenging to print you may want to consider some mid-line pieces for the shell so you can cut down on overhangs and bridging a bit. You may already have figured that out, but it's really hard to tell where the part boundaries are in the renders.

#362501 1995 Crossbow CAD Files

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 February 2018 - 09:58 AM in Homemades

I have not gotten around to doing that yet.

#362500 Countiburn - Ammo-Counting Caliburn Modification

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 February 2018 - 09:11 AM in Homemades

I think the only functional concern is that the sequence will be off in the event that the user decides to load more than one dart into the breech. Could you add a switch that the foregrip triggers when slid back, and then depletes the count by one when released by the foregrip sliding forwards again?

That could be done without changing any of the code. You would simply wire that switch as normally closed as a replacement (or in tandem) for the trigger switch.

#362499 SuperNoVA - Herndon VA - March 17th 2018

Posted by CaptainSlug on 09 February 2018 - 09:04 AM in Nerf Wars

What is RSVP deadline?

There's no deadline. Any advance notice is helpful.

#362495 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by CaptainSlug on 08 February 2018 - 03:50 PM in Homemades

Lots of things to cover. First, I've documented every tool and step involved in producing hardware for Caliburns.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MpC55

Second, I am working on a Rival remix as well as a Mega remix.

NT0EZ89.png

Third, I will be giving away Caliburn #295 on Reddit this weekend to announce the planned charity auction of Caliburn #300.

Fourth, I forgot to mention that the +bow celebrated its 10th Anniversary in December.

#362468 Splitfire Shell Measurments

Posted by CaptainSlug on 04 February 2018 - 05:48 PM in Homemades

Best I can give you is this.

guru3_p2.jpg

That's a 1-foot ruler.

#362446 SuperNoVA - Herndon VA - March 17th 2018

Posted by CaptainSlug on 01 February 2018 - 08:49 PM in Nerf Wars

March 17th 2018
9AM to 1PM

Bruin Park
415 Van Buren St
Herndon VA 20170

50/50 NIC & Superstock
BYOD (Bring your own darts)

Cheap lunch to be provided for those that RSVP
bruin_000.jpg
bruin_001.jpg
bruin_003.jpg

#362406 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by CaptainSlug on 28 January 2018 - 09:49 AM in Homemades

Another option would be katana mags but keeping handle angled while the mag straight.

That's not feasible. The darts in the top of the mag wouldn't be inline with the barrel so they couldn't be ramrodded into it.

#362405 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by CaptainSlug on 28 January 2018 - 09:46 AM in Homemades

If you give it front an rear tabs so that it mounts to the threaded rod inside the mag well instead of bolting onto the side of the magwell it could be installed on either side.

Would require rethinking print orientation or maybe splitting the shell into two parts though. Otherwise left-handed users could simply mirror the file and print it for the other side.

eY0I4ISU1q65ofWY-AL8JjWvRB-Pgnhw6pBYTay2

Stock_Alt5 and RAIL_TOP now include two holes for spring pins that will prevent the rails from rocking side-to-side. These changes have been updated in the Ayy LMAO and 120mm build plate remixes as well.

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2376150

#362354 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by CaptainSlug on 25 January 2018 - 04:08 PM in Homemades

Yes, integral mag in the grip because that won't take up as much internal volume as having to accommodate a removable magazine. The working concept for me to design from now is what Meaker suggested. The backstrap of the grip will hinge open allowing you to reload the whole stack of darts at once.

A loading gate being possible or not is going to depend on how the breech gets revised now that it doesn't have to fit within the feed lips of a removable magazine. But I don't see topping-off darts as much of a priority.

The only thing I will be sad to see go is the novel trigger guard that doubles as the mag release. But that going away provides me an opportunity for a more rigid structure between the grip and plunger tube.

#362342 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by CaptainSlug on 25 January 2018 - 09:50 AM in Homemades

Fifth test print and I'm still hating it. It's not terrible, but it's enormous so it doesn't let your hand wrap around it intuitively.

Jjf4nL6.jpg

So now I have to either go back to custom printed mags and refine the current design, or switch to an integral mag. I'm leaning towards an integral mag simply because it allows me to avoid having to supply potential customers with extra magazines. And a sidearm with a proprietary or expensive magazine would be pretty dumb if it's not something that could be easily adapted to a primary.

#362337 Venaticora: katana mag, pump action, monocoque receiver

Posted by CaptainSlug on 24 January 2018 - 04:55 PM in Homemades

Are pump grip 3d print failures on the caliburn an issue?

They haven't broken under normal use. They do however break if some of the screws escape and the end user doesn't notice and continues using the blaster. The rear screw holes in the printed part will rip out eventually if those are the only screws installed.

#362332 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by CaptainSlug on 24 January 2018 - 01:09 PM in Homemades

My remaining hesitation with this project as it stands is still that slide-prime is ergonomically awful, and you are asking the printed grips to bear a huge offset load as a result of that mechanism. I've also discovered that the lanyard cable I used to make the Piranha (and is subsequently used in this design) is in rough shape and being stretched by a spring for over a year. But given how cheap they are it's probably something I'm just whining about and shouldn't be holding me up.

To start printing the prototype for this I just need to buy another small printer.

Popped open a stapler this morning, and immediately thought "why not make a magazine follower that works the same way this stapler does with a standard extension spring?"

That would make sense for the GRIP ITSELF to split open and allow you to reload the internal magazine by just stuffing the darts in. And that would mean you could reload your pistol without having to have proprietary mags.

The downside is that your follower now has to have a linear guide feature on the side opposite the extension spring, or the extension springs have to be to each side of the follower. Both of which are arguments in favor of using a rubber band instead of a spring.

Anywho, enough excuses and whining. I'm currently printing the fourth revision of the grip. If it fails to be comfortable this time I may have to give up on Katana mags.

#362268 Venaticora: katana mag, pump action, monocoque receiver

Posted by CaptainSlug on 16 January 2018 - 08:36 AM in Homemades

If the trunion piece that the barrel attaches to had a more robust connection to the plunger tube AND secures itself to the barrel more rigidly the barrel itself could be used as the slide for the front grip.

This is of course assuming that the barrel material is thick enough and strong enough to support that offset load. But it could be supplemented with another nested tube over it. The design could be revised slightly to completely negate the need for slots.

Lastly, I think it's a terrible terrible idea to transfer the shock from the plunger slamming into the bolt through the bolt itself. Your ramrod is not going to be strong enough to handle that impact and it will break. The ramrod itself is only strong enough to handle loading darts, and unless you make it out of aluminum the force of the plunger slamming into it will destroy it. You also WILL NOT be able to reliably feed darts through the middle of that o-ring anyways as it will add considerable friction to the process and could peel the foam back from the heads of the darts.

#362265 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by CaptainSlug on 15 January 2018 - 11:12 PM in Homemades

I've been fussing with this intermittently at work for the past month.

0e7p7x67uaa01.png