PissBacon's Content

There have been 174 items by PissBacon (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#63839 G-mail

Posted by PissBacon on 18 September 2005 - 02:51 PM in Off Topic

Also, I'd like to add you can get g-mail without invites now.

#63788 Internals Of Ertl Fs-1010

Posted by PissBacon on 17 September 2005 - 05:11 PM in Modifications

For $25 I definitely can't justify the purchase; the thing looks poorly made too.

#63766 Laptop

Posted by PissBacon on 17 September 2005 - 01:21 AM in Off Topic

Alienware sentia all the way over here. I got mine for about 900 off alienware when they were having their sales. Those things are the shit...god i love alienware.

Oh man, you know alienware rips people off right? The money they make is in repackaging (alienware laptops are repackaged sager laptops) and 'cool' designs.

As for laptop choices, I'm not sure if the price would be a concern for this, but have you looked at IBM laptops at all? Some of my friends who have decided they need laptops own them, and they are very sturdy, well designed laptops.

#62953 Robot!

Posted by PissBacon on 03 September 2005 - 12:21 AM in General Nerf

I'm wondering what the advantages are to having a 'walking tank' or bipedal type of weapon for the military, aside from being badass and intimidating? It seems like unless it was incredibly maneuverable other vehicles would be far better, along with aerial support in any situation. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like unless people come up with something crazy like anime cartoons have it wouldn't be very useful.

PS: I've seen videos of those bipedal robots (on a much smaller scale of course) doing things like playing soccer with great agility and reaction, entirely autonomous; who knows if these are practical on a larger scale though.

#62619 The Ubs (universal Barrel System)

Posted by PissBacon on 27 August 2005 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

You must be rich to afford a foot or two of petg per shot while nerfing. It's an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be just as easy to have 1 removeable barrel and some darts, so you could just pop a dart in and put the barrel back on? It would be easier to carry than all that petg too. I do like the nested petg/brass though, and I've never seen a sawed-off lbb before; I just might try it.

#62535 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:31 PM in Modifications

So nobody thinks the design of the valve is good though? I'm not sure this has been done before; it doesn't require shells for your ammo, and can load multiple darts if desired. It's also very clip-ready and compact, so instead of adding extra bulk on the outside of the barrel, you just need an extra couple inches for the action of the valve. The whole point of this, despite the name, wasn't that I used a maglite, but that there are better options than a breach valve that don't have to be complicated. I'm sure some kind of marker or other cylindrical material would work (even a wooden dowel), but like I said, I don't have a way to make controlled grooves in something (using duct tape to secure an unbalanced material spinning at high speeds sounds like a window/skull-breaker to me).

EDIT: I suppose I could construct a lathe if I felt bothered to.

#62527 Unkown Gun Mod(pics)

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:50 AM in Modifications

When I first saw the image, I really suspected it was a squirt gun (huge airtank), and that last picture confirmed it. It's got just about the right size tank for a squirt gun to nerf gun conversion; I had similar success with a storm 2000. By the way, I don't know if this was made clear, but the spring around tubig is commonly to prevent the tube from getting crushed, preventing airflow.

#62526 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:37 AM in Modifications

The reason I had to use a maglite was because it could accomodate the o-rings. Since I don't own a lathe, I had no way of putting precise grooves into a piece of aluminum or other material; additionally I don't have any other materials that fit like this maglite does.

#62521 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 24 August 2005 - 09:28 PM in Modifications

I've been saving this post for a rainy day, and while it's not raining today, here's where I left off on a project started over a year ago. Sorry for the image quality; gotta love that legocam!

Posted ImagePosted Image
These are shots of the basic parts. That barrel is made of aluminum pipe, something I happen to have an abundance of in the perfect ID. It's got a cut halfway through it for about 2''. Next to it is a maglite solitaire (and a guitar effects box I'm working on).

Posted ImagePosted Image
Here we have an assortment of o-rings (you'll need to be lucky to find ones that fit just right), and a close up of the maglite, showing that when you unscrew it slightly, it can accomodate larger o-rings to create a seal.

Posted ImagePosted Image
If all of the blurriness is confusing you, this paint drawing might help. The maglite will be sliding inside of the back of the barrel, allowing a dart to fall through the opening, and then sliding back to create a seal. Lubricant and a perfect size o-ring will be needed for this to work properly. You'll also have to drill a hole down the center of the parts of your maglite, destroying it in the process, as this allows the air to flow through when the slot in the aluminum is covered. The drawing shows a cross section, one in the valve's open state, one in the closed state: the aluminum pipe is in white, the dart in grey, the maglite in hot pink (darker pink where threading is), a rod of some type in green for sliding the valve, and the o-ring in yellow. The hole through the maglite is where air will travel through when you fire a dart.

Soon I will be putting one of these in my LBB to test it out, and will post results (school's about to start though).

#62519 Wildfire Predetor Style

Posted by PissBacon on 24 August 2005 - 08:13 PM in Modifications

I also sujeste that since it would be 15 pounds on your shoulder, to use something a little smaller.

Hehe. Sorry, I had to laugh at this. Nerf guns are very very light. A fully loaded m4 weighs less than 10 lbs for comparison. I'm diggin' this idea though; I've got a couple spare wildfires laying around, but I'm not going to spend money on football gear, especially since I'd never use it otherwise and I wouldn't want to be seen wearing it. Maybe more of a paintball mask style thing with pressure tanks on the back.. hmm..

EDIT: By the way, in any design you have to be certain the whole thing will stay on your body snugly, or you will not be mobile at all. This means that the football gear idea isn't so bad (even though I won't use it) since with some duct tape, or dremel and bolting handiwork it would definitely keep the whole thing on the wearer (it would get pretty uncomfortable on a nice sunny day though; football players surely know this).

#62042 How Is The Lbb...

Posted by PissBacon on 16 August 2005 - 01:18 AM in General Nerf

Dude, check out the mods section (http://nerfhaven.com/mods/haze_bb/)

Some of its lack of popularity may be due to inferior quality (mainly durability) when compared to Hasbro alternatives (though it sure is accessible at $10). I still consider it a decent gun and bought a second after modding my first though. If you're concerned about range you can search to find what other people are getting with the guns you mentioned

#61540 Nintendo Medley

Posted by PissBacon on 09 August 2005 - 08:10 PM in Off Topic

Heh, you have the noodleboy avatar but you don't know what JTHM is. By the way, I've played some old videogame compositions before; it is pretty fun on the piano.

#58869 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by PissBacon on 08 July 2005 - 02:43 AM in Off Topic

Yes, if you have dial-up or don't want to be always connected to the internet, it can process while you are offline. I can't wait til i get my friends on this; they leave their computers on for weeks at a time.

Despite getting some weird ultrasound on my heart, they doctor wasn't sure about the hearty-explody thing, so I still run every day; it was probably the most expensive physical I've ever gone in for (insurance didn't cover ultrasound for some reason).

EDIT: I'm going to have to take back what I said since it was extremely vague. What you are asking about requires a bit of extra work; it isn't exactly simple. For help working offline at times, check out this forum discussion.

#58865 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by PissBacon on 08 July 2005 - 01:09 AM in Off Topic

I'm just about done rigging up a pc too (AMD XP 3000+ venice). Hopefully my friends with more money invested in little electronic things will set it up too. I've been diagnosed with marfan syndrome as well; it's all very weird. They say when I'm running my heart could explode or something.

#55773 Litestep

Posted by PissBacon on 27 May 2005 - 01:24 PM in Off Topic

I've worked a lot with litestep since when I first discovered it, and from what I gather, memory leaks are a result of poorly designed shells.

#55743 Litestep

Posted by PissBacon on 26 May 2005 - 10:35 PM in Off Topic

I've been trying to find help for a while, so I thought it would be worth asking here while I'm at it. For anyone who knows about litestep, do you know some basics about how it is programmed? About a week ago I got v24.7 and it came with a friendly and simple theme called 'austerity'. However, I'm not sure exactly, but at some point in using litestep, things went very wrong. I tried changing a few basic things in the codes, as the manual for the theme had offered specific advice for beginners. When I tried out a couple new themes though, they installed modules to run properly (this could be the source of the issue). The main problem now is, no matter what theme I run, they all have the same damn 'popup' when clicking on the desktop, and the normal shift+LClick does not even cause a popup to occur anymore. This seems very odd to me, as I can't think of any reason for this to have changed, other than maybe testing out other themes. Thanks if you have some advice, and if not, well I guess I wasted my time.

UPDATE: I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the "/litestep/personal/popup.rc" file, especially the first few code lines talking about default popups and allowing new popups. Still boggled nonetheless.

UPDATE: I've completely fixed the issue. Check out the end result; it is pretty nice
screenshot

#53976 Bottle Gun!

Posted by PissBacon on 01 May 2005 - 05:53 PM in Homemades

You could add some kind of hose/pipe between the barrel and the bottle, so it could be stepped on instead. The force from stepping on it would be much greater than a press of the hands, and would easily make up for the extra airspace in the hose.

#53378 Help With Modding An Rf20

Posted by PissBacon on 24 April 2005 - 05:42 PM in Modifications

Well, first of all, you probably are not going to need the 20 barrel assembly. I'd probably start by opening the gun up and seeing where everything is. Since I don't want to make a rice firing gun myself, I'm not going to open mine up and ponder this. To solve the rice going backwards issue, you'll need some kind of mesh that allows air through, which you will place between the area of the barrel where rice goes and the firing mechanism. One thing I'm unsure of: do you want the rice to fire in single pellets or just bursts of rice like a shotgun effect?
As for the actual rice firing part, I would make some sort of hopper like paintball guns have to mount on top. You will probably want to single barrel the rf20 (sound crazy?). The rice would flow into a part of the barrel, and then the barrel will funnel to create higher pressure as the rice leaves the barrel. I don't know how far/accurate this rice needs to fly, so I could come up with a more efficient barrel design too if you like.

#53372 Your Ride?

Posted by PissBacon on 24 April 2005 - 05:17 PM in Off Topic

What does the president have to do with high gas prices.

Yeah but you can't drive until we get a new president.

More importantly, how do high gas prices stop you from driving an efficient car?

edit: Sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page, and didn't see all the people who posted in between those first page posts. PS - Merlinski, why are you using an RX7's body if you're taking out the main engine system so you can do a bunch of stuff to it? Can't you just use the car with the good engine that comes with (like a Supra)?

#53289 Track&field, Cross Country, Bicycling

Posted by PissBacon on 23 April 2005 - 07:13 PM in Off Topic

My basketball coach said I broke 2 minutes on this 800m drill that we did three times [my other times were a bit over 2]. That same day we ran a total of 15km "for fitness". I kept pace, and in fact lead the entire time, behind the coach of course.

Sub-2 minutes is awesome.

#53250 Track&field, Cross Country, Bicycling

Posted by PissBacon on 23 April 2005 - 12:35 AM in Off Topic

National rankings can be found on a variety of track websites. A good highschool track website is dyestat. Btw, my miletime = 5:35, still improving.

#53094 Supper Soaker

Posted by PissBacon on 21 April 2005 - 11:23 AM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...c=2780&hl=storm
Example of a conversion. This one was modded to load from the back.

#52819 Stefan Making Tip

Posted by PissBacon on 19 April 2005 - 12:26 AM in General Nerf

Good advice, but I swear I've heard someone was using ice cubes to make their darts. They would sort of use an ice cube to nicely shape the hot glue tips as the glue cooled to form an aerodynamic, and therefore more true-flying, dart. Btw, that's a shame about your RF 20s.

#52550 Nite Finder: Old Vs New

Posted by PissBacon on 15 April 2005 - 12:54 AM in General Nerf

Does anyone know, based on experience or word of mouth, if the new n-strike nite finder is worse or better than the old one. I'm aware the new one has a different barrel/dart size, but is the actual range, quality, and/or modibility of the gun different? Thanks.

#52472 Stupid Gun Design

Posted by PissBacon on 14 April 2005 - 12:50 AM in General Nerf

The points you try to touch on, Grumschnitz, seem to be in conflict with each other. You question why they make guns restricted, but later explain why they do so. It is correct though that they have saftey issues with projectile toys, pretty much the only reason to lower a gun's ability. The box says some number just to attract people to buy the product - within reason they can fabricate what they like for a range and not suffer consiquences. I've seen some pretty poorly designed nerf guns in the past though, including one I gave to goodwill, the autogrip.

#52353 Lifes On Sale At Walmart

Posted by PissBacon on 12 April 2005 - 05:13 PM in General Nerf

Maybe by 'suck your balls up and play paintball' he meant that paintball was for males whose testicles hadn't dropped yet.

#52211 Where Can I Get Brass?

Posted by PissBacon on 11 April 2005 - 01:32 AM in General Nerf

You need to learn to use the search feature properly then (proper perameters), because there are plenty of topics about places where brass can be located. Just to give you a point in the right direction, it's sold at many hobby shops, as well as online stores. It can be hard to find, but try those places; most hardware stores don't carry brass.

#52126 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 10 April 2005 - 12:51 AM in Off Topic

No, I'm definately able to browse the web on my PSP. It's just greatly overlooked because most people aren't willing to bother setting up their wireless network, or don't know the right way to do it. To browse sites you move with the directional pad to different hyperlinked stuff, and to type you hit X over a text entry box, and an API pops up, the same one you use to type other stuff. It's layout is very similar to typing text msgs on a cellphone, with the letter/num pad. Then you hit the start button a couple times to finish your entry, and it places the text in that box. Pretty sensible....

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't know how to hook up their psp, make sure you got a wireless router running mixed 802.11b/g, and boot up your psp. Make sure your wireless switch is on. Go into the network settings, pick infrastructure mode, and make a new connection(any name works). Scan for your router, and select it when you find it. Go to the next screen, and choose to custom set up your address settings. Use automatic IP address settings, and then manual DNS settings manually. For the primary DNS, use 67.171.70.72. Your secondary DNS address should be whatever your router's is (start menu>run>type cmd in the box>type in ipconfig in the dos prompt, hit enter). Do not use a proxy server. Test your connection, save it, and then fire up wipeout pure. Go into the 'download' option in wipeout pure, and select the new connection you made. It should load up a portal that says psp web portal by fugimax, and will have a bunch of things to click on. If it only shows a mostly grey screen w/ a little thingy in the upper left corner, hit the square button (refresh button) to reload the page. Try a few times if it doesn't work. This site gets tons of traffic so patience is key; sometimes the site is just down. If it loads up the wipeout pure coming soon deal, that means the site is down, and it's using the secondary DNS you put in, which connects to the site it's supposed to go to.

Another option if the DNS is down a lot is a secondary portal. Just use 64.5.48.92 which is another portal made for the psp (you could substitute this for your secondary DNS if you wanted). It also gets lots of traffic, so bear that in mind.

As for browsing, some tips are to avoid sites with lots of flash and crazy coding, as they can lock up your psp (no biggie, just hold the power switch till it shuts off). The hidden browser can only run basic html, no flash, java, music, video, shockwave, etc. One plus is that it can load up images, so be sure to check out pennyarcade. Another plus is that IRC for psp is in development. As for actual browsing, L is back, R is foreward, x is enter (usu. html link), sqare is reload, and the arrows are for scrolling through pages or moving between links. To exit the browser, press the start button. There is a loading indicator in the upper left corner which will move when stuff is loading, and stop when it's done. Remember, the psp isn't near as strong as a pc, so keep patience when browsing, as it's not really designed to do so.

If I left stuff out, just ask or PM.

#51999 Shit.

Posted by PissBacon on 08 April 2005 - 07:32 PM in Off Topic

When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Please try to skim over what you're posting before you post. To determine what's up with the drive, I would go into the control panel, and from there into the system. Click on the hardware tab, and click the device manager. Scroll through the list and when you find that cd drive, double click and see what it says. If it says it has a problem you can probably go from there, and if it says the device is working properly, you'll have to consider other factors, like the parts inside the drive.

#51906 Prepare Your Bladder For Imminent Release!

Posted by PissBacon on 07 April 2005 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

How about you just use www.imageshack.us ?

#51803 Thinkgeek Gun- Something Familiar About This...

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 10:57 PM in Off Topic

I saw that too, recently. It was because of their april fools thing, I was browsing the site and saw it, along with a pretty nice repeating rubber band gun. The range and accuracy are debatable condsidering the ammunition; still, a great gun in theory.

#51790 Grrr At My Jeans.

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 10:08 PM in Off Topic

Does that happen when you get your pants wet?

:w00t:

There are a few things to consider about your jeans. First of all, some brands just do that. Secondly, if they're new, give them a few washes, including inside out washing. Other things you could try are avoiding contact of jeans to shoes by some strange method like tape on the inside of jeans or rubber band. Also, sometimes using water proofing products on your shoes will prevent stains from attaching. If all else fails (or it's not worth the trouble), just avoid wearing that combonation.

#51787 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 09:55 PM in Off Topic

Did you note my mention of "Image Converter 2", the official sony software for converting their videos? It's much more efficient (smaller size), and is overall a better program. linkage
Edit: My bad, looks like it only supports windows. -Sorry.

#51770 The New Nite Finder Color Scheme

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 07:34 PM in General Nerf

Oh yeah, I've seen pics. He took the internals from a crossbow and put them into his NF. It's got a brass breech barrel and a spring-clip. I think he powers it with pixie dust. I'm sorry, I'm tired.

Seriously, how would that work? The trigger mechanism is completely different on that plunger.

#51450 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by PissBacon on 03 April 2005 - 04:11 AM in General Nerf

I'm pretty confident he was being sarcastic.
-Piss

#51386 Show Me What You're Working With

Posted by PissBacon on 02 April 2005 - 04:56 PM in General Nerf

Modded Storm 2000
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Back-loading barrel (19") & specially designed plug for high pressure.
BTW: If anyone has seen the stock one of these, I took out the primary tank, and the light assembly has been replaced with .. err. trigger triggered laser sight (light press).

#51340 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 02 April 2005 - 03:05 AM in Off Topic

Hey, fellows! I'm posting from my psp! Get Wipeout, it has a hidden browser. (google it) Also, sony makes a nice converter for video, image converter 2 (check bestbuy). This is not an april joke!

#49199 Nerf Roller Skates?

Posted by PissBacon on 09 March 2005 - 11:15 PM in General Nerf

Woah, if I remember correctly, I had a pair of those when I was younger. Since I lived on a very steep hill, I used to ride them around the house, until one day I decided feet work better.

#49067 If You Could Ask Hasrbo

Posted by PissBacon on 08 March 2005 - 09:46 PM in General Nerf

Please don't flame for perpetuating this off topic discussion, but the site they were referring to was http://www.emachineshop.com/ They do custom parts, but it only makes sense for certain machined parts. Making a gun shell, for example, would be a vast waste of money, and complicated to work with their system.

#49065 Ruff Stuff's Shotgun

Posted by PissBacon on 08 March 2005 - 09:37 PM in General Nerf

I have one, it shoots 20' stock, and I STILL like it. Although I think drilling out the shells would really help.

Did anyone else notice that at NHQ Tricksleeves claims 42' flat? Could it be an inconsistency in production, or is it just common measure inflation? Seems like if the plastic was just molded a touch wrong, the barrel and shell seal would be very inefficient.