Katachi's Content

There have been 138 items by Katachi (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#30487 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:44 AM in Modifications

Can any of you get your hands on plastic melts and moulds?

It would be great, like my shotgun concept, if you could square it off and have it looking uber sexy.

And guys, i don't mean avoid the issue of going back to basics, but i'm not adding useless bulky items like ammo holders, im just trying to make it look sleek.

N.B. I saw the link of the picture. Something tells me you havn't built it yet ... :P

http://webpages.charter.net/katachi/hotlink/thing i need to make.jpg

Plastic and molds for what? Like making shells for guns? Like making molds for making shells for guns? Do we know anyone who does that? Do people read my sig?

#30484 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:36 AM in Modifications

huh. well, i could see adding a mount for a modular attachment system. flashlight, laser site, second gun, ammo holder...just for a few ideas.

Yeah like a laser sight or flashlight or dart holder? LIKE THE ONES YOU CUT OFF???

:P

#30479 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:28 AM in Modifications

Well their isnt Jizz in my name, just an exmaple of how its pronounced. NinjZ was a robot ninja from an old cartoon.

It looks awkward because its kinda skinny I guess you could say. Like it seems like he was going for a LnL-esque look. The LnL has a bit wider front half, makeing it look fuller. Get what im saying? It still looks nice though.

The LNL had a more square look too it, like a semi auto handgun. Are you saying "square it up"? A nerf blaster stripped to the bare essentials would look like this, rounded and smoothed out like the pic. Does it look skinny because it's missing ultra super exciting barrel attachents and functions?

#30475 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:20 AM in Modifications

For the record my name is pronounced "Nin-jizz".

Only thing I suggest for the model, is to mabey add some kind of filler to the bottom where the light used to be. Seems kinda awkward to me, but thats my opinion, good work.

Katachi, Im not a digital photographer so Im not that great with photoshop. I can a little though, check out my deviantart page in my sig. Film will always be superior to digital cameras.

Are you sure you want Jizz in your name? That sounds kinda.... messy :P

Fill the bottom how? The point was to take stuff off that wasn't needed. Awkward how? Like off balance? Lacking the fish detailing of that one fish shaped gun with the spines?

#30472 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:13 AM in Modifications

If its meant to be a manip I have no problem with it. It is a decent manip. Just a few things that caught my eye ( Im a photography major ).

Photography is fun! I love Photoshop and Illustrator! NinjZ! Your turn! Show us what you can do with a gun and photoshop!

Actually... now that I think about it *checks first post* Nope. It never said it was a real gun :nugget: Concept art is much better than hacking and guessing.

#30466 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:07 AM in Modifications

yeah, it does look photo shopped. Not even photo shopped well.

Are you sure it's not photoshopped well? I bet you couldn't do that well with Photoshop and a gun.

#30463 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 06 July 2004 - 12:02 AM in Modifications

Is it just me, or does that NF look altered in Photoshop???

The front of the gun doesnt look like that, it seems obviously stretched out for some reason. Plus that black swirl where the NERF symbol was is very suspicious.
Im hopeing this was meant to be a photomanip, just would be nice to have it mentioned in the original post.

EDIT: also the slit on the side seems blurry towrds the back where the symbol should be. And the lighting doesnt match up...

That's from sanding. Don't you sand? Gunk smears when you sand.

#30459 The Nite Finder With Less Crap On It!

Posted by Katachi on 05 July 2004 - 11:51 PM in Modifications

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin about! No electrical tape. No rubber bands. No big gobs of hot glue. No stupid extra pvc and tape barrel sticking out. Clean and simple design.

#30412 My New Friend

Posted by Katachi on 05 July 2004 - 03:07 PM in Off Topic

Too expensive.

Here's how you make them yourself

Ice Water
Coffee (I prefer folgers crystals)
Milk or flavored creamer (like irish creme)
BROWN SUGAR
Ice

Add the ingredients and stir. That's it. Hell of a lot cheaper.

#30409 More Love From Hasrbo

Posted by Katachi on 05 July 2004 - 03:05 PM in General Nerf

naturally...I will end up defiling them as well.

Defile as in...."completley change" not "diddle"

Yeah, whatever. We all know your secret now. Don't try to hide it.
It would be pretty cool if the guns came out by the end of July, wouldn't it? Of course, August is good too. I just need something to mod. I'm going insane messing with my NF all day. =/

You want something to mod??

Here

1) Tech Target gun

2) pick something from here:
http://www.realistictoyguns.com

3)put the two together

Seriously, we should have a contest for the TT and NF, involving the craziest thing you can do with the shell, or the coolest thing you can put it in. My vote would definately be for putting the NF in a Namco GunCon shell. I loveses that gun.

#30382 More Love From Hasrbo

Posted by Katachi on 05 July 2004 - 10:31 AM in General Nerf

I won't wanna paint 'em!

I do. And hack em up good with the Dremel. They won't be recognizable when I'm done!

#30357 Lan Games

Posted by Katachi on 05 July 2004 - 01:47 AM in Off Topic

Man, HALO lan parties are the greatest... sat there for 5 hours playing in one of those, and we STILL all wanted to play, but we had to go due to the fact we're high schoolers and it was 11pm at night. Starcraft, such a great game to play over a lan, but I find that alot of bickering starts up fast. I wish I could go to a full-fledged all-day lan party, that sounds so incredibly awesome. Too bad I'm still in high school and nobody hosts these kind of things... Unless... Time to make some phone calls :rolleyes: :D . By the way, try Bawl's, it's the true nerd's energy drink. I say that because they sell the stuff at computer stores, and gaming stores.

Rags, kick some serious ass at that party, eh?

Bah, you kids and you X-boxes...

Why, when I was your age, we'd play Goldeneye on the N64 for 16 hours straight. Perfect Dark was awseome too. Plenty of 16-20 gaming with that one.

Wait, when Goldeneye came out....lemme see..... I was probably still older than you, so "when I was your age and then some :rolleyes:"

Drink lots of Red Bull!

#30335 Air Xxl Skeet Shoot

Posted by Katachi on 04 July 2004 - 08:30 PM in Modifications

Yeah, if you can still return it, get yourelf like 8 Nite Finders instead and make one big one. :rolleyes:

I love returning stuff to Toys R Us. I used to mod Playstations and PS2s and if I ever screwed up, I'd buy one from TRU, put the dead PSX or PS2 in the box and return it.

#30322 Holsters

Posted by Katachi on 04 July 2004 - 06:33 PM in General Nerf

That, or, you could use a sock. Fits just about every Nerf pistol, and, since several come in one bag, they can be replaced easily.

I'm. Still. Laughing.

Certainly feasible, but, oh-so hilarious. Heh. :(

You laugh, but I've seen worse.

At least he's not suggesting electrical tape to attach it to your body.

Oh wait. Maybe I missed that part...

#30304 Hey Look Here

Posted by Katachi on 04 July 2004 - 02:18 PM in Nerf Wars

He's banned from both? That explains why he IMs me all the time...

#30210 Supermaxx/larami Darts

Posted by Katachi on 02 July 2004 - 02:44 PM in General Nerf

You can make mega (5/8" backer rod) stefans and use them in the stock barrels. They would be a suitable replacement for the super maxx darts you desire.

A better alternative, if you're willing to do the modification, is to replace the barrels with 9/16" OD K&S brass tubing and switch to micro (1/2" backer rod) stefans. You'll get much better range.

whew! glad you can make them! My cats seem to think foam backer rod and nerf darts are the greatest chew toys ever. They chomped up a couple of those larami darts.

#30198 Nerf Center Review Index

Posted by Katachi on 02 July 2004 - 12:54 PM in General Nerf

Yes, but searching NHQ is akin to recieving an acid enima

Yeah even KNOWING it was there somewhere, I looked and couldn't find it. Then I went back and read it was in "INTERNET" and looked around and finally found it. I woudn't have looked in a subject titled "internet" for nerf any more than I would have looked in one that said "TRANSVESTITES". I thought Internet was another "off topic" area... It should have been in the faq sticky in the general area section.

#30167 Nerf Center Review Index

Posted by Katachi on 02 July 2004 - 01:46 AM in General Nerf

Aren't you a member at NHQ? The link is over there. Eh, whatever, here it is again.

here

~ompa

Oh my god, you're awesome. I've been looking for that since the link on the site died!

#30114 Reverse Engineering

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 05:53 PM in Homemades

It's great to know that I have given you a great idea, Katachi. As I may have mentioned, the injection molding book has a design for making a molding machine for smaller parts, usually up to about an ounce.

Thanks for the further info. It's great to hear from someone with more experience in this field. Some of the ideas that I had for a Chainblazer-like gun involved using full-metal parts to make it more durable and otherwise kickass. Now that I live closer to my parents, who have a garage full of metalworking equipment and tools, I have easier access to making the stuff I want. Let me know how your plastic-working projects turn out.

only an ounce? shoot. I need something bigger. Ah well I should still check it out. I can already do 2-3 ounce two part mold injection molding, but the resin runs out the seams, and there's air bubbles... If I could make at least an 8 ounce machine for one part molds with a birthing slit, I could do some crazy stuff... :( I know how to do one part molds with silicone and urethane, but I haven't tried them yet. most nerf parts could be made in a one piece flat mold, since you only need the shape of stuff, like the trigger. You dont' need to make molds of both sides.

#30110 Reverse Engineering

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 05:25 PM in Homemades

What kind of stuff do you use Katachi? I have played around with resin from craft stores just a tad. I ended up just cutting several layers of sheet metal in the shape of a trigger, gluing them all together, and sanding it. It works well but way to sharp, cuts grooves in the pump tube of my nerf gun and harsh on the fingers.

Im still wondering if I should buy another batch of resin and try to make another trigger. Where is a good place to buy cheap yet strong resin? I'm not looking for all the extra junk that comes with it like spoons, fancy neon colors, and big flashy bottles.

www.smooth-on.com . I use Smoothcast 300 for my propwork. Great stuff. I think they have several grades of resin that are more impact resistant, but it's all I need for what I do. 1:1 mix raito, minimal fumes, good set time... I don't know about cheap though. Quality costs money. :( But you can get a 2 pint sampler pretty cheap.

#30103 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 05:03 PM in Modifications

even with lubrication...

heh, In my own... personal.. studies, I've found that anything can work with enough lube... ;-) You should probably try using more lube... yeah...

edit: sorry I had to do it lol

ask Necrotech Inc. when he 's on next time, he knows more about the mechanics and engineering behind the airflow and seals :( Enough for the two of us to fabricate our own gaskets and o-rings.

#30101 Reverse Engineering

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 04:51 PM in Homemades

Actually, I acquired a book on making a small, tabletop homemade injection molding machine. Lindsay Publications prints it, and you can buy it directly from them. They also have some other cool books.

The injection machine book is here: http://www.lindsaybk...ject/index.html

With my job and stuff, I haven't gotten around to building the injection machine, but I think it may prove useful in making smaller parts.

For the larger parts, it may be more of a challenge. One idea that I can think of is to vacuum form plastic to a plaster mold. Vaccum forming is used by movie prop makers. (one of the most well-known uses is for Stormtrooper Armor) Basically, a vacuum form unit is a table with a hole in the middle. Under the table, a vacuum hose is hooked up, and the mold is placed over the hole. When molding, the softened plastic is sucked onto the mold by the vacuum.

Edit: I just found out that Lindsay also prints a book on vacuum forming, which is at this link: http://www.lindsaybk...vacf/index.html

Looking at the pictures of this Vacuum Forming machine, I think that some of the other prop making places on the internet have ideas for making a simpler and cheaper vacuum forming table.

One of my favorite prop sites has a good section on vacuum forming, which is here: http://www.studiocre...able/index.html

Another idea that I was thinking about would be to somehow make parts from metal or other materials. If only I had easier access to metal machining equipment.

UPDATE: Speaking of patents, if Hasbro had anything patented on their Nerf guns, they would have the patent information listed on the box or the gun itself. Looking at all the Nerf guns that I own, I do not see anything marked for this. The only thing that I see is a copyright date. I even checked on the box for the Nite Finder, and all I see is a copyright date. This probably explains why Lanard has not gotten into trouble for reverse engineering Nerf guns, since they don't slap the Nerf label on their stuff.

Well well well, look what I found in the topic archives!

Oroku_Saki, if that injection molding book is any good, I owe you :(

Hmmm, you guys are going in the right direction, but here's some info from someone with experience working with plastics:

I would asssume Nerf holds the patents to the internals of the guns. You can't patent the concept of forcing air through a tube, like the spring/plunger guns, but you can patent the mechanics behind HOW it's forced through the tube, such as the shape of the airchamber, plunger, o-rings, trigger, springs, and the mechanics behind the firing process. So if you flat out cast parts from a nerf gun and re made the plunger/plunger lock/trigger mechanisms, yeah it's patent infringement.

Now here's the thing about making illegal copies: I really don't care.

1)The demand is there, and I'm going to be making guns that nerf no longer offers, not guns to directly compete with their guns. For example, making a new handgun to compete with the Tech Target and/or Nite Finder, that's not a good idea. Making a better Crossbow, or improving on a gun that nerf tried once, and didn't get right, like the Chainblazer or something, sounds like a good idea. If I made something like a Chainblazer that worked, didn't jam, was accurate and powerful, and had a 50 shot ammo chain, there's no current gun that Nerf makes to directly compete with it. If they did make one, I would definately stop making mine and try to promote and support theirs. My business is a fan business.

2)Production of our stuff will be so limited, it's not even going to be considered "mass production" If I made the Chainblazer from the previous point, I MIGHT make 25 of them TOTAL. Ever. Nerf isn't really going to care. If they even notice at all.

3)Corporations don't like to waste the time and money taking someone to court. I know. I have friends who make movie prop replicas. The first thing to happen when you make a copy of copyrighted or patened material is the coproration's lawyers issue you a "cease and desist" letter. Sometimes they seize your molds and product, sometimes they don't. Either way, it's just a slap on the wrist and they take your toys away. No lawsuit. No jailtime.

Now for the plastics:

Vacuforming is fun, but not durable enough for nerf guns. Think of having a nerf body made out of a 2 Liter Coke bottle. The plastic sheets used for vacuforming are in the 2-3mm thick range. DEFINATELY not strong enough for nerf gun shells.

2 part resins are durable, but not the kind you pick up at the craft store. Those are WAY too brittle for making shells out of. Would you want a gun that cracks when you drop it on cement?

Don't even suggest fiberglas. Too messy and brittle if you don't do it right.

I've considered directly replicating the mechanics of several guns, but most have so many precise parts, that it's not worth doing. There's only a couple that have a clean mechanical design and can be partially copied and applied to a better gun. Others, like the Tech Target, only have 5 pieces total and can be easily simulated with various lengths of pvc.

We are currently trying to find a better substance for making custom o-rings and gaskets out of. There are some urethanes I want to try out this summer still :P

Great. Thanks guys. Now you got me thinking about a 50 shot Chainblazer that acutally works.... I think we sold our last one in like Feb or March... anyway, I'll see if it's worth doing. Sure would be nice for a heavy machine gun nest for capture the flag games :P

Oh and the 10 shot I'm always talking about? Electric Eel guts. Mostly just the parts to advance a clip. It's a very simple design with minimal parts, but it can be improved in about 5 places, with the parts replicated in a high impact industrial grade resin. I'll custom make longer clips (4 freakin darts?! who's idea was that?) and I'd probably make it pump action, instead of a pull back plunger. So it'll brobably be about 30-40% Eel, with major improvements over a working advancing clip design. But hey, hopefully by the time I make mine, nerf will reissue a better Eel. And a new Crossbow.

#30094 Aw Goddammit.

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 02:58 PM in Off Topic

Not really storm related, but my hard drive in my computer died a few weeks ago. That really sucked.

I can top that:

I had a 20 gig HD die recently that had every episode of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 6700 Supernintendo ROMS. I found a place to download EVERY SINGLE GAME AND ROM FOR THE SUPER NINTENDO/FAMICOM and it's all gone! :( 10 gig of snes roms.... gone....

#30089 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 02:07 PM in Modifications

i like monkeys. put a dart in it's mouth, then slap it in the ass real hard. 200 ft MINIMUM!

talk about spankin yer monkey, yo.

anyone have any feelings about the supermaxx 1000? i have one i'm gonna try and do some stuff with, just curious what's been done.

nerf guns are an odd market. as katachi mentioned, i've sold crossbows for over $100 stock. same for vortex firestorms. it all depends on who the customer is. hell, i sold a 3 shot secret shot for $40!

anyway, i'll agree that my crossbow price is rather steep. mainly cause it took so damn long to make. i lost blood to that gun (and failed a class). i'll probably just hang onto it as a conversation piece that leaves welts. the game i made it for is sort of an assasin type of thing, both nerf and melee weapons. we had a lot of whiney people playing who would even yell "ouch" over a ten foot hit from a stock secret shot.

i'm lookin at the night site right now, and thinking it's got WAY too much stuff on it. if i end up messin with it, i'll post some pics.

yeah, i've been modding for a little while, but my designs tend to be a bit rough. i've seen some much prettier work on this forum. bottom line, it's the skill, not the time.

Hey! I used a Monkey Spank gun! They don't call me Monkey Spankerelli for nothing!

#30085 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:58 PM in Modifications

But hey, it's all strategy and theory talk anyway, right? You find out what works on the battlefield!

#30080 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:49 PM in Modifications

*Sigh* you were talking about how hunter should stop taking things so personally, so I told him to go cry it out.

Oh, and for covering fire, isn't the purpose of that just to allow someone to get where they need to get to? And those thing spray out bullets for a few seconds, which should be ample time to get the person where they need to get to. If you use another gun, the person you're trying to cover is more likely to get hit since the opposing team member can take pot shots in between the seconds you take to reload your gun, while as if you're using a wf/rf20/pc they can't.

~ompa

I guess if you want to do it that way. But here's how we play without full auto weapons:

4 man tactical team, two people lay down suppressive fire long enough for the other two to flank. Then those two suppress the target while the first two move. It's quick, it's fast, and it's efficient.

Now with full autos, all the enemy needs to do is wait for the "braaaap" and then silence, since you're reloading. That gives them enough time to pop out and fire out a couple rounds. If you've got two people putting a dart at their head every 1-3 seconds, they don't know when you're out, and they don't have time to jump out, find you, and fire.

And Shortshit, you're right, the crossbow isn't the best gun for suppression. I wasn't refering to the crossbow, I was talking about spring vs pump guns in general. You need something you can load and cock fast.

#30076 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:38 PM in Modifications

Not you, Hunter.

Only modding for 6 months

When I say nerfing, I mean modding.

Thirst, I'm not a cocky n00b, so bite your forked tongue.

If you take offence to that, what makes you think he didnt. And by saying "bite yours forked toung", you are...

If you hadnt figured it out, I was joking. I even put a dman smiley after it. And said "Its all in good fun". You really gotta chill man.

THIRST

That was regarding hunter.

Eh, and if you're looking for support fire, Why not just use a PC, WF, or RF20? They spray enough darts.

~ompa

reload time. I used to play with Wildfires but they're not very accurate. If you can put a dart just above the guy's head, or where it would be if he wasn't hiding, you can keep him down just as easily as with a constant full auto spray, without having to stop, put 30 more darts in, pump 20 times, and continue.

#30073 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:35 PM in Modifications

It's ok man, just cry it out... We're here for you.

(By here for you I mean we're sitting here laughing our asses off.)
Ok I'm done.

Wait, no I'm not. I agree with Shortshit, the priming time is really not that bad. Just learn to pump fast. If anyone takes that the wrong way, you deserve to have a hot brand shoved up your ass.

~ompa

The hell? You think I'm crying about it? I could care less what gun you like the most. There's enough decent guns out there now so that everyone can have a favorite. If they work, they work. It's not going to make you a better player. A n00b with a maxshot is still a n00b. But getting back to the original discussion, some people prefer Crossbows over other guns and they're willing to pay more for one, since Crossbows already have a reputation for being good guns.

If you're playing a tactial game and you need to lay down a supressive fire so that your other teammates can flank, pumping is a waste of time. 3-4 pumps versus one plunger pull does make a difference when you're trying to cover someone. I don't know. Maybe you all play more "deathmatch" one-on-one style games.

#30070 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:23 PM in Modifications

*cough* maxshot *cough*

Short, I'll see if I can find it, but I KNOW I've seen them around.. give me a minute.

here's the airsoft version of paintballs, and I'm sure you could adapt nerf guns to use them. I'm pretty sure there are bigger ones though.. I just gotta find them somewhere...

AHA! I found it! I think... .40 calibur paintballs here, at the bottom of the page.

~ompa

Okay, Maxshot then. Guess it's just a matter of personal taste when it comes to the Crossbow now. I prefer spring guns over pumps. We really don't play games that require being able to shoot 100+ feet at a target anyway. Mostly close quarters and tactical.

#30065 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:14 PM in Modifications

You'd be suprised at what people would pay $100-400 for...

Maybe when I'm rich and famous a decade from now I will truly understand! It would also be different if the CB was still one of the only really good loser weapons like it was back in the day, but now the AT2K and the SM5k and the SM1500 and the Maxshot and blah blah blah all have comperable'ish ranges to that, so there is really no reason to search out an X-bow unless its your favorite gun EVERERERERER and you just only want to use that gun.

edit: Mini painballs? how much do they weight/cost!? LINK :P nerf with mini paintballs would be kinda a cool function as far as the "did i hit u" ness of it, sure it would only work in airguns but thatd be a fun little option ha!

Yeah but how many times do you have to pump those other guns? The Crossbow is just one pull and you're ready. If it was one pump, and they shot as far and as accurate as a well modded Crossbow, I could see how people would prefer them over Crossbows. Anything with an airtank just looks silly to me, personally... :P That Crossbow's got style.

#30059 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 01:00 PM in Modifications

I suppose... but I still think looking to friends works great, unless of course you're in college or are an adult. However, in high school is a prime time to look for nerf guns from friends. You can get so many deals since almost none of them nerf anymore.

~ompa

Yeah most of the people we play with and sell to are in college. Nerf's legal on campus. Paintball isnt :P. The people we play with are probably 17-24.

#30057 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 12:44 PM in Modifications

Maybe, but if you just spend a bit of time you could probably find the same plastic gun within 50 miles of you for probably 1/4 the price.

~ompa

That's why you gotta sell custom or rare pieces that people CAN'T find elswhere. Selling Nite Finders won't get you anywhere, but selling Crossbows, Powerclips, or high demand, custom, or rare guns is where the money was. Lock n Loads aren't really worth as much now that the Tech Target and Nite Finder are out. On a good day, you can find someone to pay $100+ for a crossbow and $50+ for a Powerclip. It's just a matter of watching and waiting for the supply to run low and the demand to rise.

#30053 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 12:34 PM in Modifications

He's been Nerfing longer? Really? I've never seen or heard of him. I've been Nerfing for 7 years. Only modding for 6 months, though. And, Thirst, I'm not a cocky n00b, so bite your forked tongue.

PS. Katachi, what the hell is with this quoting stuff? I DONT EAT BABIES!  :P

Awwww :P no baby eaters in the forum. Ah well, more for me then.

Yeah hopefully when these new guns come out, and IF they're halfway decent, we'll see more people modding guns. Personally, I want to take that 6 shot semi auto and put all the barrels closer together. And hack that shell up and take off all the unnecessary stuff.

If they really are being sold in a set only, there will probably be a market for selling the guns seperately, especially if they were modded and painted proper. Unfortunately, there's no new Crossbow so those will have to be custom built.

Shortshit: believe it. There are tons of rich kids, or gamers desparate to get attention from having the best gun. Yeah it's just a plastic toy gun, but some people have money to throw around. You'd be suprised at what people would pay $100-400 for...

#30042 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 12:15 PM in Modifications

Hey, I dont eat babies! They're too fatty! I need something with more MEAT! Raaaahh!

Sorry, Necro. I didn't mean it as a flame. Just a joke. I find it funny that your new here and your trying to sell that for over $150. Maybe it's not that funny... whatever. Just, sorry.

And, yes, the n00b joke often doesn't apply anymore. Since 3dBBQ came.. well... don't call him a n00b. Same with Katachi, here. The guy is bloody brilliant, look at his website. ......foam katana.....

Yeah we like to judge poeple by their work, not by how many posts they have :P Some of us have known about the websites and read the stuff on them for years, but haven't posted. There's some crazy stuff being made by people here. In fact, someone just e-mailed me plans for a home made pump gun with a solenoid that has to be the cleanest design I've ever seen. I'm not a big fan of guns you have to pump. To me, more than 3 pumps is too much work, unless it's for something that fires more than one dart like a Powerclip or Wildfire.

#30036 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 11:53 AM in Modifications

Hm... you know, you could probably route that second keyring trigger to be in the trigger guard, I did it and it works great.

Posted Image

Other than that, great job. I love the plunger, it must be so damn durable. Mine came broken, which really pissed me off.

Yes, those Thai noodles were good.

~ompa

hmmm... are you any good with fiberglas?

Cuz what I would do is, I'd cut some sheets of the cloth, flip the gun over, spray it with mold release, and make a fiberglas U shaped plate that goes over the pump, and maybe 1-2 inches up on the gun. Let it dry, pop it off, paint it, and SCREW it on. That way, you can still take the gun apart if you need to. But that's fiberglas work. Messy stuff. >_< But it would be much lighter than a big ol gob of bondo and probably look better.

Something else to consider, people:

Necrotech and Oopmas guns are actually TWO guns. So you might pay 70 bucks for a good crossbow and 40 bucks for a good Supermaxx 1500, that's already $110 right there, not inluding paying for all the work that went into putting the two together. $150 is a STEAL!

#30033 Yeah, Another Modded Crossbow...

Posted by Katachi on 01 July 2004 - 11:28 AM in Modifications

$150? You nutcase.
Can you say cocky n00b?  :P I also eat babies.

$150 is low for an X-bow. He's sold probably 3 or 4 STOCK for over 100. He's had offers from people last fall for more than $150.

Oompa, your X-bow looks great! But why did you put the pump for the 2nd gun on the bottom, instead of on the top? Planning on sticking something else there?

And as far as the bondo, take the gun shell apart and bondo each half separately. Then sand and trim the thwo halves to make them fit back together. This way, you can still open the gun if you need to. Otherwise, it would be impossible to open again if you've partially filled in the seam.

#30007 Vortex Rings Size?

Posted by Katachi on 30 June 2004 - 11:10 PM in Homemades

Katachi, make a resin ring! Holy shit would that thing hurt...

~ompa

we've already looked into making urethane, silicone, or even >_< hard resin rings. There's problems with them and how they fly... I don't remember what.... but I do remember that they're made out of a memory rubber so they always keep their shape. Ask Necrotech Inc. about it.

#29992 Vortex Rings Size?

Posted by Katachi on 30 June 2004 - 07:37 PM in Homemades

How do see that as being a haiku? This is a Haiku.

This is George the horse
George does not have any legs
He lost them in Nam

Besides that, I think 3D is talking about the plastic piece where the rubber rings sit before being fired.

EDIT: I don't know the demensions myself.

Either way, it was poetic. :P Screw legless horses. Is there really a piece on the vortex guns that needs to be replaced? I could probably make them.

#29991 More Spray Painting Ideas

Posted by Katachi on 30 June 2004 - 07:34 PM in Modifications

Katachi, I take it those foam swords on your site don't break once whacked against something, right? Cause I think I spotted a Katana on that rack of swords, and I've always wanted a foam Katana.
Holy shit, it's like your a person from Hasbro who understands us and would actaully improve whats been made in the past. I heart you. (in a non-sexual way, dont worry)
Oh yeah, back on subject. LDM, that gun is insane! It's like painted as if it were from the 80's! Add some blue, pink and yellow triangles along with some wavy lines placed randomly on it and I'm sure it'll look fab. :nugget:

That's the idea. The ones in the pic are made somewhere in China and are sold in the states through independent resellers. I have a friend who sells for them. They're specifically made for whacking your friends with. Anyway, the reverse engineer in me said "hey! I could make those!" Now I know where to get all the supplies. it's just a matter of getting the money to order parts. They're pretty expensive though. I think that katana is like 90 bucks... >_<

Spray Painting Tip!!

Get an xacto knife and some masking tape for sharper masked off areas. If you've painted the gun with a base color first, and want to mask off an area to paint a second color, WAIT FOR THE FIRST COAT TO DRY!!! Otherwise, the tape will peel up the wet paint when you peel it off.

#29984 Vortex Rings Size?

Posted by Katachi on 30 June 2004 - 05:14 PM in Homemades

I do not know its size
I want to know, because I must manufacture
the thing which is connected with it

Sweet! A Vortex haiku! My turn:

Vortex rings are hard manufacture
special rubber is used mostly
for stretching and not stretching

okay, seriously, what piece are you trying to make?