okto's Content

There have been 490 items by okto (Search limited from 08-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#48804 Tek Ten Single Barrel Mod

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 07:11 PM in Modifications

a switch-shot, which leaks and has a bent pump handle. I got it for a dollar at a swap-meet.

Swap meet? Huh? *ears perk up*

#48803 Tack Stefans

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 07:09 PM in Homemades

POST SOME INSTRUCTIONS ILL CHECK THEM OUT SEE HOW WELL THEY DO AND IF THEY DO I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW.

Go play in the street and die.

#48776 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 04:43 PM in General Nerf

EDIT
Sorry, there was unnecessary stuff here.

#48693 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 04 March 2005 - 08:26 PM in General Nerf

Perhaps it just sounded good and foam-y.
Tylenol doesn't mean anything. Neither does Pepsi. Brand names don't have to have any sort of etymology or meaning.

#48689 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 04 March 2005 - 07:09 PM in General Nerf

I've seen french movie titles with the word nerf in it and buffy also known as nerf herder. But I really have no clue what it means.

'Nerf' means nerve in French.

#48656 Distances

Posted by okto on 04 March 2005 - 01:51 AM in General Nerf

The hallway in my dorm has tiles that are exactly one foot square. I count tiles, then use a ruler. I also try to make sure I fire from the same level every time, measured against the cinderblocks of the wall, and measure from the point in the floor the muzzle is over.

#48634 Maveric Rev-6 Mod

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 09:38 PM in Modifications

well who said i didn't do the nf plunger?!?

I say you didn't. Stuffing the NF guts into the Mav is a bitch, and you haven't been modding long enough to pull it off.

chores, how did you measure those ranges?

#48632 Distances

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 09:36 PM in General Nerf

You eyeball by experience.

NO. You absolutely do not do that, becasue that is how people get to thinking that their NF gets 80' and they saw a Crossbow shoot 200'.
Two words, I'll even bold them:
MEASURING.
TAPE.

Thank you.

#48631 They're Getting Worse.

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 09:31 PM in General Nerf

To add to what Thirst said:
Chores, get a tape measure. No more estimating. Also make sure the blaster is level when you shoot.

#48600 Perry Bible Fellowship

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 05:45 PM in Off Topic

Yeah, the guy seems to have some issues with sexual identity, specifically interspecies relations.
But he's damned funny.

#48592 Need Pix Of Nerf Ammo

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 04:33 PM in General Nerf

Pictures of all, good sir Moose, if you would!

chores: I have guns that can fire all these; I do not own all the guns that these originally came with.

#48591 Perry Bible Fellowship

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 04:31 PM in Off Topic

http://cheston.com/pbf/archive.html

think nataliedee meets adult swim.

#48589 Titan Envy?

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 04:22 PM in General Nerf

I personally have SEEN a crossbow go a legit 200ft. It even dented drywall from 15ft.

You sir, are full of shit.

You sir are a fucking idiot.

I've SEEN IT. That number may be 15-5 ft off but i know what i see.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you had PERSONALLY SEEN IT. That changes everything, because nobody exaggerates on the Internet. No sir.
Besides that, I know you so well, I should know to take you at your word. I mean, we've been best buddies for years, right?

Nobody's word is worth anything on the Internet without proof, sir. I would take people like cx at their word, because he is rational, measures his results, and is not interested in making himself look good as much as he is interested in reporting accurate info.
I would not take people like you (and you aren't the only one, there are several others, some have names with 'nightmare' in them) at their word because they make ridiculous claims, then back them up with "I SAID IT SO IT'S TRUE".

#48587 They're Getting Worse.

Posted by okto on 03 March 2005 - 04:17 PM in General Nerf

What the hell?  It's a pistol for christ sakes!  What do you want crossbow ranges?  You get six shots, pretty much semi auto for nerf standards at 40 feet, what the hell is the problem?

Please stop bitching and work on making the guns not suck.  Unless you plan on contributing to the crappy situation, don't complain.

And you also get a slide that breaks if you cock it with any sort of speed, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the only point of having a semiauto blaster.

And as for contributing: do you want him to go work at Hasbro and design them? He isn't saying mods suck, he's saying the potential of the newer blasters is lower, and it's true.

#48517 Titan Envy?

Posted by okto on 02 March 2005 - 09:42 PM in General Nerf

I personally have SEEN a crossbow go a legit 200ft. It even dented drywall from 15ft.

You sir, are full of shit.

#48469 Titan Envy?

Posted by okto on 02 March 2005 - 04:18 PM in General Nerf

Between the Titan and the Crossbow—if that's truly the issue—I think they equalize.
Scenario time.
Guy with a primed Titan and guy with a cocked Crossbow start at opposite ends of a football field. They rush each other. At his 35 yard line, Titan fires at Crossbow.
Say he misses 50% of the time at that range, which he likely will. Crossbow now has about 30 seconds and all kinds of space before Titan can get off another shot, during which Crossbow gets within about 20 yards (to stay out of sidearm range) and nails Titan.
So.
The Titan is a weapon that lets you shoot one person a zillion feet away twice a minute, but hit them about 50% of the time at that range.
The Crossbow is a weapon that lets you hit shoot person about fifty feet away, six times a minute if you're good, and nail them 100% of the time unless you make bad darts or can't shoot.

They both have uses, but I will side with the Crossbow and say it's more versatile.
And I will absolutely ban Titans from any and all indoor wars, unless it's shooting the giant ballista ammo.

#48457 Sspb/sts Rereleased

Posted by okto on 02 March 2005 - 02:02 PM in General Nerf

Talio, gear down. Sometimes, people only have one sentence worth of stuff to say, and some people are more succint than others. There's no rule against one-line posts. Peace.

#48454 Need Pix Of Nerf Ammo

Posted by okto on 02 March 2005 - 01:56 PM in General Nerf

I'd like to compile an authoritative, central reference on all types of Nerf ammo produced, to help the new kids identify their ammo types and just for general knowledge. There are several sites out there that have ammo references, but they all are either missing a few things or have very low-quality pictures or graphics.

EDIT Thu 03 Mar
Pictures I still need:
Sonic Stinger 11" arrow
original blue/yellow 11" arrow
black/pink 11" arrow
sonic tip 9" arrow
any micros or megas you think I've missed
Balls: yellow

Thanks in advance for any help on this you guys can give me, and I welcome corrections/additions to this list and pictures of things I didn't mention.

#48357 Sspb/sts Rereleased

Posted by okto on 01 March 2005 - 02:01 PM in General Nerf

New name, new paint job.

#48311 The Posidden Mk 1

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 09:16 PM in Modifications

We have tried the bar thing, but it kept on breaking. We also tried a bar on the "trigger", but it broke off too. We  may try again though. Thanks for teh suggestions.

How did you attach them? Glue most likely won't cut it, you'll have to use screws or pins of some sort.

#48266 The Posidden Mk 1

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 03:49 PM in Modifications

On that note, you should add a bar or something across the three SSPB pumps so they can be pumped all at the same time.

#48261 Most Influential In Online Nerf History?

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 03:12 PM in General Nerf

You don't have to know them to know they contributed to/influenced the NIC. What Stefan or you or CX or whoever are like in person has little to do with the fact that I know how to make cheap homemade darts, use brass effectively and, uh...make a bigass Crossbow integration.

#48260 The Posidden Mk 1

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 03:08 PM in Modifications

Kitchen sink?

#48257 The Posidden Mk 1

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 02:45 PM in Modifications

That...doesn't make any sense. It's Poseidon, it's the name of a Greek god, it isn't copyrighted. Just spell it right

#48254 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 02:32 PM in Off Topic

I still think vinyl sucks

You're still wrong ;)
Out of curiosity, though, what is your experience with vinyl?

#48253 Why Are Maverics So Rare?

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 02:15 PM in General Nerf

*Maverick. I don't usually bother with spelling anymore, but come on...two different misspellings of a word that's not hard to?

#48252 The Posidden Mk 1

Posted by okto on 28 February 2005 - 02:13 PM in Modifications

*Poseidon, perhaps?

#48112 Modded Sm750

Posted by okto on 26 February 2005 - 05:16 PM in Modifications

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that gaffer tape?
mmm...gaffer tape...

#47981 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 24 February 2005 - 11:08 PM in Off Topic

True. And somehow, it still sounds better than CDs. That I am clueless to explain, but it's true. Still has more presence.

#47947 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 24 February 2005 - 02:58 PM in Off Topic

I wish I had snow.
And a job where I can sit on my butt and surf NH.

#47946 NO Returns... Again?

Posted by okto on 24 February 2005 - 02:53 PM in General Nerf

Many a Crossbow has disappeared in these waters, yarr...

#47941 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 24 February 2005 - 02:29 PM in Off Topic

Sorry to double post, but does anyone know what bit the new Mobile Fidelity gold CD's are? Are they 16-bit or 24-bit?

MoFi's CDs, as previously stated, are 16-bit, becasue if they were not, they would A not meet the CDDA standard (which may or may not be lumped into ISO 9660), and so not play in any CD player on earth, and B hold only 40-50 minutes of audio, which is kinda impractical.

MoFi's CDs only sound better in a better CD player that has an accurate enough timebase, precise enough disc transport, and quick enough DAC to read and paly every frame. CD players are time-priority rather than accuracy-priority drives, meaning they're more concerned with getting the audio out the door than getting it perfect, and will throw away frames to allow this. So, when you play a CD in a player that cost you less than ~$1000, you're only hearing 95% or so of all the audio on the disc, which is again not capturing the whole audio waveform because of the nature of PCM digital audio encoding. In this area, vinyl still and possibly always will triumph, because barring skips and pops (which aren't hard to avoid if you take care of your vinyl), they reproduce 100% of the audio that was put on them in the first place.

Talio: the data on CDs is not compressed in any way. It's full-bandwidth 16/44.1k PCM.

#47937 I Am Back ! Jspb Sport

Posted by okto on 24 February 2005 - 02:10 PM in General Nerf

Tactical launcher of...what?
Also, be aware that 3DBBQ's designs require something like 7 pumps per shot and don't always work. By 'not always', I mean they misfire when you're rushing someone, or need to return fire quickly.

#47896 Help On Xbow

Posted by okto on 23 February 2005 - 10:51 PM in Modifications

The one that fits. Seriously, did you not think to take the stock spring and compare it to the ones there?

#47696 Dremel Bits

Posted by okto on 21 February 2005 - 01:51 PM in Homemades

A hot knife is a really useful tool for cutting Nerf plastics too.

#47474 I Love Gw!

Posted by okto on 18 February 2005 - 02:13 AM in Off Topic

I should post up the picture Julie took last week in London of the Iraq protest signs outside their parliament building. Most people there hate Bush and they're our strongest allies.

There are nearly always people protesting in front of Parliament. They don't have the freedoms of expression in the UK that we do, so they go right to the heart of things when they express what freedom they have.

#47473 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 18 February 2005 - 01:59 AM in Off Topic

The 2^16 waveforms possible in 16-bit digital recording are insufficient to describe music perfectly.

True, but what about the new 24-bit masters I've heard of?

Personally, the best CD's I've ever heard are Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab tapes sourced from virgin vinyl and put onto CD.

24-bit mastered CDs are still pressed 16-bit. Since it's a digital conversion, every ounce of extra fidelity from the 24-bit master is removed with surgical precision.
And as for MoFi CDs, those are off original master tapes, not vinyl. And MoFi vinyl sounds even better than that; I have the MoFi copy of Dark Side of the Moon, and it's absolutely flawless.

#47396 Instruments

Posted by okto on 17 February 2005 - 01:41 AM in Off Topic

WHERE THE FUCK ARE SYNTHESIZERS IN THAT LIST????
FAIL! F minus!

#47395 Vinyl VS. Compact Disc

Posted by okto on 17 February 2005 - 01:25 AM in Off Topic

True. Vestax and Numark both make portables, and Numark's is small enough to fit in a record box.
I prefer vinyl for the superior sound quality and presence, and of course the analog warmth—but I have an iPod to carry around with me, and you can't get much more digital.
No given audio medium is superior in every respect to any other...it's like asking if a screwdriver is better than a bandsaw.

Good poll.

#47344 Dremel Bits

Posted by okto on 16 February 2005 - 04:20 PM in Homemades

I understand there's a fair bit of it in the ocean that we didn't put there.

As well as the crystalline NaCl that keeps Austria and parts of southeastern Germany from falling into the Earth's mantle.

On Dremel bits: I prefer the circular saw blades to cutoff wheels for cutting plastic. Quicker cutters, don't shatter, and don't wear out as quickly. Of course, theyre also more expensive, but that's the price you pay (pun intended).