Twitch's Content

There have been 204 items by Twitch (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#170635 Any Ohio Wars?

Posted by Twitch on 19 August 2008 - 01:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Bpso86 and myself are hosting a war on Boone Woods, Kentucky (about a 40 minutes drive south of Cincinnati). Look for University of Cincinnati Open on the Nerf Wars forum. The war will be 9/13.

#168998 University Of Cincinnati Open

Posted by Twitch on 14 August 2008 - 07:56 AM in Nerf Wars

6000 Veterans Way
Burlington KY 41005

Is the park's address. It's a very large park, once you get there, you have to drive along the main road for a while,just keep driving until the main road ends in a parking lot, you should see a sheltered area right in front of you (don't go there, as another group has already reserved it, instead go to the top of the hill, left of the shelter, to the fort.

bpso86, you should probably add the address to the first post, for simplicity. In addition, the park opens at 8am; perhaps we should start the war earlier, to give us a better chance of getting to the fort before it's overrun with parasites.

#168564 University Of Cincinnati Open

Posted by Twitch on 12 August 2008 - 09:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I didn't take pictures of it, (those above are mine) but there's another much more typical jungle-gym (steel pillars, plastic walls, small slides, etc.) of sorts about 70 feet from the fort, which makes for some really interesting CTF matches. There are no water fountains, but one could refill water bottles at the sink, in the lavatory if so desired. The fort is on a hill, that slopes down on the same side as the tunnel entrance, and large open fields surround the area.

P.S. bpso86, Swong will be there as well, she was at my house when this was being organized and should be able to get the day off work.

#167743 Indiana War

Posted by Twitch on 10 August 2008 - 09:08 AM in Nerf Wars

I too, live in Cincinnati and would be willing to make the trip. Unlike bpso86 however, I'll be in college for another 5 years *grumble* and won't be across the country next year.

#166744 Fall Dcno

Posted by Twitch on 06 August 2008 - 07:07 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd prefer the 20th, but any of those dates work for me. I'd love a good war right before school gets up and going.

#166632 Nerf Elimination Game

Posted by Twitch on 04 August 2008 - 09:32 PM in General Nerf

My boss has a really good sense of humor and has shown a mild interest in my unique hobby; last Monday was "bring your Vulcan to work day." I think a set of these will fit in nicely at the pharmacy.

#166435 My Vulcan Broke D:

Posted by Twitch on 04 August 2008 - 10:33 AM in General Nerf

Open it up, find out what snapped, and see if you can fix it. Your's isn't the first to break; if the same part keeps breaking on a lot of them, it would be nice to know if a certain part needs to be reinforced. Pictures can only help in diagnosing the exact problem. On a related note, what variations does your Vulcan possess? Apparently some have different coloration regarding the carrying handle, the grip, the name "Vulcan EBF-25" written on the side of the barrel, and coming with black or orange foam sonic darts.

#163832 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by Twitch on 23 July 2008 - 09:25 AM in Nerf Wars

*sigh* Long story short, half the group from Cincinnati, Ohio has backed out;(something about not being able to leave until like 6pm Friday) increasing the shared cost for the rest of the group significantly, and making the trip not worth it for the rest of us. Myself, bpso86, and our guests will not be attending.

#163408 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Twitch on 20 July 2008 - 12:18 PM in Homemades

One of my homemade rockets
Posted Image
pool noodle body, foam orb (obtained from McMaster) warhead, and craft foam fins.

Just for you, Groove, I'm sure you remember the D.C. war, right?
Posted Image

I know I could have have just ordered replacement missiles from Hasbro for $3, but mine have the advantage of being bright pink. That and it's launched off a 1/2" PVC pipe segment. (Which can be removed from the coupler, and easily replaced with a shot-gun attachment, etc.)

#162802 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by Twitch on 14 July 2008 - 07:58 PM in Nerf Wars

Updating my status and letting Shindig know he can add another state to the list; myself and bpso86 are from Ohio. We'll be attending and bringing a couple of others with us.

#161826 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by Twitch on 07 July 2008 - 12:44 PM in Nerf Wars

Myself and 1 guest are a maybe.

#159954 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 22 June 2008 - 07:19 AM in Nerf Wars

http://www.penny-arc...mic/2006/01/04/

#159937 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 21 June 2008 - 07:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Team Badass indeed, if the match had been on Unreal Tournament there would've been a menacing voice yelling "Killing Spree!" after those rounds where we only used automatics against everything else.

Apparently all myself and Capt. Bojangles McPoonsnstach (the hot pink At3k shown in the picture) needed was some lunch before I really got into and started to kick some ass. (And by "kick some ass" I of course mean "actually survive until the end of a round.")

I'm also incredibly glad I bought the OSHA approved sunglasses, otherwise I think I would've lost an eye or two; getting hit in the lens like that makes the most shocking noise.

#159682 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 18 June 2008 - 11:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there, I'll be brining a couple other with me. Though I won't be bringing any obstacles like I'd hoped, I've become distracted by a project. (Though if we're in the same park as last time, I doubt we would have use for them anyway.)

#159476 Team Fortress 2

Posted by Twitch on 17 June 2008 - 09:32 AM in Off Topic

Who else plays Team Fortress 2 on their computer? (The other threads I found when I searched were for the PS3)

My Steam ID is: Twitch

And sine there's about 5 pages of Steam ID's that show up for a search of "Twitch"
I'm the one with this
Posted Image
as my profile picture.

#157967 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Twitch on 03 June 2008 - 09:36 PM in Modifications

My 2nd Rapid-Fire Rifle
The black on the grip, pump, and the very butt of the stock are Plasti-Dip. The red on the body, and the black elsewhere are vinyl dye.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#157561 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Twitch on 31 May 2008 - 03:40 PM in Modifications

Another BBB.

The black on the grip and foregrip is Plasti-Dip, not vinyl dye. The red has has a top coat of reflective paint; the first two images show how the blaster appears in normal light.
Posted Image
Posted Image

These images show more or less how the blaster appears when exposed to bright, direct light. (such as from the flash of a camera, light from a multi-LED flashlight, or the sun, on a clear day (when viewed from the right angle.)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#157483 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 30 May 2008 - 06:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I expect I'll be there. I'm going to try and make some obstacles like the ones Cpt. Slug brought to the DCNO but with a few modifications. (Namely less flexible material, and better clips to hold the tarps.) Will we be able to drive metal poles into the ground where we have the war?

#157113 Summer Dcno

Posted by Twitch on 26 May 2008 - 10:01 PM in Nerf Wars

I just got home; what a weekend. I was really nice to finally see the faces and hear the voices behind the avatars. On a related note, Groove, do you always wear that same shirt when you nerf, or is it a coincidence you were wearing the same shirt at the war as in you picture?

I'm still annoyed I left my Crossbow at home, I've never seen so many present at a war before. (Only two members of the University of Cincinnati group have crossbows, bpso86 and myself)

I still chuckle when I recall the head shot from OMC that actually knocked me on my ass; I thought a lower center of gravity made things more stable?

And sadly, I have to admit that Groove, I did not get a head-shot on you. I did however fire a shot from my At3k that missed the back of your head by less than 2", at which point I was informed that you were on my team.
"He is? Oh ...well this is the first time today he's been on my team, so far it's always been see Groove: Fire!"

Badger, I'll be honest I was a little bit disappointed, you're not nearly as old as I was lead to believe; I was expecting to meet an 70-year old bald guy w/ thick glasses and a hearing aid.

and lastly,

"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?" ~bpso86

#156620 Brass?

Posted by Twitch on 22 May 2008 - 02:05 PM in General Nerf

Not as big a selection as whom? Certainly larger than Lowe's, Home Depot, the Ace Hardware, and any hobby stores near myself. McMaster-Carr carries brass tubing in 39 different sizes. An aside from 17/32" and 9/16", what would you need? (They carry the other dimensions you seek, nerfer9)

*Edit - Sorry, I missed that you live in California; I have no idea how much shipping would be; I'm in Cincinnati and while I've never been charged more than $4.75, I don't know how much more it would be to have it sent all the way to you.

#156616 Brass?

Posted by Twitch on 22 May 2008 - 10:29 AM in General Nerf

http://www.mcmaster.com/

#155869 Spy Gear Wireless Tracking System Review

Posted by Twitch on 14 May 2008 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

I've had a set of these for a few months now and found the device to be rather amusing, and effective in certain buildings. (Many of the building my group utilizes are largely comprised of reinforced concrete, which seems to significantly decrease the range for it to function, as one would expect.) Mostly using it exactly as one would expect; knowing when someone or a group of people have walked past a certain point then ambushing. Placing one near the flag in a CTF game also works to alert when the flag has been snagged. If your group plays in a building not comprised primarily of reinforced concrete, it certainly has it's uses. An added note; attach a good suction cup or comparable implement and you an stick them to some ceiling, windows, etc. in which people are less likely to look once they start checking beneath each step and around each corner. Definitely worth looking into if you play n an appropriate arena.

#155812 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 14 May 2008 - 04:47 PM in Nerf Wars

So what? a bunch of grown *cough* adults show up w/ blasters. We take the place by force! Or we just show up earlier than them, and when they get in our way we intimidate them into handing over their lunch money and leaving.

...or just devise a back-up locale, I guess that works too.

*6/21 works for me.

#155674 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 13 May 2008 - 08:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Wow, that arena looks amazing. Do you know who constructed it? I have a playground located near me that (based on those few pictures) has similar architecture, but it sure as hell doesn't have subterranean tunnels. 1,000 Hands Project, perhaps?

#155673 Wayne Tech Tri-fire Blaster

Posted by Twitch on 13 May 2008 - 08:13 AM in Modifications

eddieoctane - Ha! I knew I'd forgotten something about how it worked, thanks for asking. There's a button located on top of the part that functions as the shoulder stock when the blaster has been opened. (I just realized that that button is out of view in damn near every picture I took. Very sorry to everyone for that.) In the last picture, you can see a glimpse of what I'm typing about, the bright orange button located on top of the handle/shoulder stock at the very back. To open the blaster, simply depress that button, and pull. the parts all slide back, the trigger and grip rotate into position, and the flashlight swivels out. It's all rather amusing, and reminds me of the movies where someone has a suitcase where they pull one lever and the case falls apart and some sort of submachine gun unfolds in their hands. To close the blaster back up, simply hold in the same button, and squeeze the front of the blaster and the back handle/stock together, then press the mall orange button in front of the trigger, and push the trigger and grip can be folded back.

Pressing the wide, flat, orange switch at the top and center of the blaster deploys the crosshairs and the "scope."

Thanks for letting me know I forgot that detail.

Thanks for your time.

#155660 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 12 May 2008 - 11:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh come on, you forgot me? I'm heart-broken. Really. On a serious note, I can make it pretty much any date everyone else finds convenient. As far off as this is, I should have no problem getting that weekend off work.

#155658 Wayne Tech Tri-fire Blaster

Posted by Twitch on 12 May 2008 - 11:04 PM in Modifications

psyhoswan, badger - The blaster was $28.99, acquired from the Wal-Mart in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Captain - Stock ranges actually seemed a little bit better than advertised on the box(20 feet.). While I didn't go to the effort to measure stock ranges, I fired it across my room and estimate it to get around 30 feet stock. (Truth be told, I have at least half a dozen blasters than have never been fired stock; to this day I don't know what stock ranges are for a magstrike or RF20, as I modified them pretty much mere moments after opening them up.)

Silencer - nah, pretty much every foam-dart blaster uses the same or comparable mechanisms; if you know how to plug the pump on one, you know how to plug the pump on just about everything. Same goes for gluing a few barrels or a coupler.

Ubermencsh - After seeing how much ranges dropped after leaving 2 of the barrels as shotgun style, compared to the single cpvc barrel, I'll probably end up gluing a coupler to each barrel, and make all barrels the same. (since that's what got the best range) though if someone can figure out how to squeeze a bit more power out of one of these, having a couple shotgun muzzles would be really nice.

Galaxy613 - The Big Salvo has separate tanks for each barrel, sadly this device doesn't. while a Big Salvo can fire a couple shots, and still be able to fire off the other 2 without having to re-pump the blaster, this thing has to be pumped after every shot. I was a bit disappointed.

As for the issue with the valve/trigger, I'm going to try and stick a small piece of some sheet metal/plastic/whatever I find lying around and see if stickng that between the valve-release, and the lever that presses the release button (sort of making it a hair-trigger, like in Forsaken Angel_24's Magstrike mod', only with a different function) will help with releasing the tank valve at a higher pressure. I'll update later with the results.

Thanks for your time.

#155599 Wayne Tech Tri-fire Blaster

Posted by Twitch on 12 May 2008 - 05:47 PM in Modifications

The Mattel Wayne Tech Tri-Fire Blaster

A Big Salvo and Maverick, to get a sense of size.
WTTFB collapsed
Posted Image

WTTFB open
Posted Image

The "scope" does not align with the crosshairs. (It's aimed at the bottom of the plastic sheet which has the crosshairs imprinted.) Just thought I'd note that.

It has 2 compartments (one on each side) to hold darts. (frickin' adorable, I know.)
Posted Image

The stock ammunition is worth explaining.
The single large missle is similar to the arrows from a BBB, save it has no fletching(tail fins), but instead has 2 "wings" that project out from the dart head.
The bola-dart is basically the same thing, except split down the middle,with string connecting the two halves. Ideally when fired the 2 parts would fly apart, and giving the round a wider area of effect. Instead the two posts, on which the darts are mounted (like the tek 10, Speedloader, and Secret Shot, for example.) are arranged vertically, completely defeating the purpose, unless one wishes to fire "gangsta" at their foe.
The dart are comparable to tag darts, save they are about 1/8" shorter, and the foam is much more firm.

The blaster's function and operation requires a bit of explanation.
It has 4 barrels, as you can see, and a single trigger. Unfortunately, it has only a single air tank. Which barrel is to be used is determined by a barrel selector. So rather than function like a Big Salvo, it functions more like a Secret Shot powered by pump & tank, rather than spring & piston.

How to select the desired barrel
Posted Image
Notice each muzzle is numbered.

Posted Image
squeezing the trigger advances the dial, the number displayed obviously indicating which barrel is selected. sliding the orange switch (located above, and to the right of the barrel indicator) forward locks the drum, and the chosen barrel is set. Pressing the orange (above, and further to the right) button releases the lock, and a new barrel can be selected by squeezing the trigger.

Onto the internals.
Posted Image

Posted Image

To disconnect the wires, gently pull the junction pieces apart.

The tank, viewed from the behind
Posted Image

Everyone felt the Longshot wasn't complicated enough, right?
I was expecting it to be rather elaborate, seeing as the blaster has a trigger that rotates, and moves away from the pump, tank, and barrels and has to function after relocation.

The trigger relaxed
Posted Image

The trigger being squeezed.
Posted Image

You can see how many parts move just to press the firing pin in, and release the air.

Here are the modifications I performed

The pump was glued shut, I simply cut through it (be careful to not cut too deep, into the pump handle.)
and put a bit of hot glue to plug the pump.
Posted Image

Next was to remove the pegs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottom pair of barrels received PETG barrels cut to length for tag darts. The upper pair received 1/2" PVC couplers. I had to sand the ID of the muzzles, so 3 PETG barrels would fit.

The Finished product
Posted Image

Ranges (20 pumps/shot)
All shots fired level or <5 degrees above the horizon.

Muzzle 1: 3" of 1/2" cpvc barrel. Tag dart. 65feet.
Muzzle 1: 3" of 1/2" cpvc barrel. stock dart. Technically the dart didn't leave the barrel, but the barrel did fly out of the coupler, and landed about 30 feet away.

Muzzle 2: 6" of 1/2" PVC. tag dart. 35 feet.

Muzzles 3 & 4: 3" of PETG. tag darts & stock darts. 35 feet.

I tried pumping the blaster 30 times, and I had to squeeze the trigger about 6 times before it would fire. Its range was also about 65 feet.

The only other modification I considered is to replace the light bulb in the flashlight (the gray box, located above the pump) with multiple LED bulbs, so the flashlight will actually illuminate the other side of a classroom properly.

As complicated as this thing is, I'm sure I left out something minor; feel free to reply or PM with questions.

Thanks for your time.

#155520 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Twitch on 11 May 2008 - 08:40 PM in Modifications

My girlfriend wanted a Big Salvo that was "as bright as the Sun" for her birthday. I told her I'd do my best.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The orange is flourescent, the hot pink is not, so when it is wielded in an arena illuminated with black lights, it looks pretty slick. (my nerfing group is renting out a laster-tag arena and using nerf blaster instead of the businesses equipment.)

#154539 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by Twitch on 04 May 2008 - 08:18 AM in Homemades

Bobafan - The inside of the plunger tube is as smooth as any plastic barrel; (as is the outside) there was a bit of dust from sanding that I apparently missed when I took the pictures

Galaxy 613 - It only weighs about 4 pounds

doubleshot - yeah, the device isn't quite 100% complete, and at the moment I have not cut the foam to fit in the grip.

Thanks for your time.

#154444 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Twitch on 03 May 2008 - 06:10 PM in Homemades

Aluminum +Bow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#154432 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by Twitch on 03 May 2008 - 05:34 PM in Homemades

My latest +Bow. It's not 100% complete as it still needs a bit of sanding of some edges, and I'd like to have it anodized. I wanted a Nerf blaster that I could pass down to my great, great grandchildren, and this thing should be durable enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anything that would normally be cut from polycarbonate, is instead machined from Aluminum. Special thanks to the West Chester Never Ending Research and Development Society for access to their band saw and mill, and of course to Captain Slug for his brilliant design.

Thanks for your time.

*Edit: Don't worry, I don't melee-strike with any part of a blaster I made at home, I find it helps cut down on the number of people cut on cpvc barrels, bruised, et cetera.

#154430 Melee Weapons

Posted by Twitch on 03 May 2008 - 05:23 PM in Homemades

The wars I attend weekly are held in doors, and melee weapons (almost exclusively the BuzzBee foam swords) have shown themselves to be exceptional. It's much easier to swing around a doorway or corner and hit a hiding foe in one broad sweep, then to pray & spray with a magstrike or the like. Aside from being safer for the attacker, it's much quieter than any blaster. There are a handful of people at the wars I attend who make a damn fine "career" out of wielding only a sword and nitefinder. That said, here's my homemade melee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's layers of craft foam, supported with insulated copper wire and hot glue the components, the skeleton is designed to be able to barely support the weight of the "blade" with my arm outstretched, ensuring that even if I swing as hard as possible, the weapon is destroyed before it hurts anyone. It ended up looking like a jagged lightning bolt last time I used it, after repeated thrusts and blocks against my foe, brandishing a BBB.

Inspired, of course, by Army of Darkness/Evil Dead movies. Yes, I have the sawed-off BuzzBee DoubleShot to go with it.

#153884 Other Hobbies Aside From Nerfing?

Posted by Twitch on 29 April 2008 - 07:39 PM in Off Topic

My other main hobby, aside from Nerf is welding. I have an acetylene cutting/welding torch, an AC/DC Arc welder, and most recently acquired a MAPP gas torch. As for how I got into nerf, I enjoy the idea of being to apply what I've learned in my various physics and (occasionally) chemistry courses. I'd rather apply it toward my own amusement, rather than let it rot in my brain until I die. I enjoy the opportunity to experiment and see the results every Friday night; and if you're smarter than everyone else, then one acquires a significant tactical advantage.

Oh, I was also surprised by the large percentage (about 40%) of the club that are women.... that's always a nice incentive.

#153582 Odd Water Blaster...

Posted by Twitch on 27 April 2008 - 10:33 PM in Modifications

I found this at the Toy's R Us near my house. It seemed like such a simple device; I think it has some potential.

Posted Image

It's meant to shoot water. One submerges the muzzle (the tiny hole in the front, shown below.)
Posted Image

Then pulls back the handle.
Posted Image

The seal is perfect, and it holds 175ml's (about 6 ounces).

So I glued a 1/2" PVC coupler to the front...
Posted Image

and after trying different barrels, settled on a cpvc barrel.
Posted Image

It's entirely manual powered, and due to the seal, the device cannot be primed if it's loaded (a simple matter to slide back the handle before a dart is loaded.)

Just aim, and shove the handle. I'm only getting about 35feet flat, using tag darts. (I'm not exceptionally strong). I suspect a stefan and PETG barrel combination will get better ranges, but I think the biggest improvement is going to come from slapping a spring inside. (I have not yet opened up the device, it is glued at every joint and does not have screws, near as I can discern.)

It strikes me as an amusing alternative to other simple blasters, and has some potential. With the foam layer removed it has a rather slim profile, which may make it quite fitting for integrations into a primary wth the addition of a notch or other catch mechanism, and a simple trigger.

Posted Image

If anyone else goes in search of one, they were with the pool toys (which at the location near me was separate from water guns, for what that's worth.)

#153074 Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Posted by Twitch on 25 April 2008 - 08:16 AM in Off Topic

I have neurological disorder; Myoclonus. (similar to epilepsy in some regards.) I have muscle spasms/twitches at random, and under the effect of certain stimuli. Temperature fluctuation is the most dominant trigger. Just about everyone I know, my parents and boss aside, calls me "Twitch."

One time I punched myself in the face. Hard enough that my class ring left a mark in my jaw.

I had a girlfriend who's sibling though she was cheating on me, because they didn't realize that "Twitch" and *Real name here* were the same person, an she was getting phone calls from both people.

The neurologist tells me that people typically grow-out of the disorder in their mid 20's, which I'm approaching. While I'm a bit saddened at th idea of loosing my twitches, (I embraced my idiosyncrasies so fully into my personality/self-identity.) my closest cohorts offer to zap me with a stun gun whenever I'm feeling nostalgic.

#153022 University Of Cincinnati

Posted by Twitch on 24 April 2008 - 11:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I may as well post the rules we use here, I've gotten questions about them and it's best to answer them here, rather than someone showing up and then having trouble.

The standard weapon regulations we use are as follows:
We acknowledge 3 size categories of ammunition; Large, Medium, and Small.

Large: Titan Missile
Medium: Arrows, balls, megas, and missiles that comes w/ a Blast Bazooka. (these should be large, imo, but I'm not the sole authority...yet)
small: tag darts, streamlines, micro suction-cup darts, and whistlers.

A blaster may be modified to fire ammunition up to 1 size category smaller than it fired stock, or fire multiple darts simultaneously. (a shot-gun titan is acceptable, provided it fires enough darts) though all blasters are approved before hand by the weapons review board. (BBB's and crossbows may fire tag darts, Ultimators and Titans can fire arrows if u really want, et cetera.)

Home-mades are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. (+Bow's are okay.)

Perhaps the biggest rules discrepancy between the UC group and the more common wars (aside from ammunition restrictions) are gun blocks. Any blaster held in your hand can act as a shield. Shoulder-straps do not count as part of the blaster (I claimed I would show-up the next week, my torso wrapped in rope, and simply have 1 end tied to the blaster and demonstrated the error of that rule.). If the blaster is hanging at your side and is hit, you're out; the blaster must be in your hand.

Melee rules: no portion of a blaster created at home may be used in a melee attack. (so u have to tap w/ the butt of your BBB, not the brass barrel. Home-mades cannot be used for melee.) the blaster need not be loaded to deliver a melee attack. (we consider a melee attack as more of a "pistol whipping" rather than a means to avoiding firing at point-blank range)

The rules regarding weapon restriction, ammunition, and melee were forged with safety in mind. Being an official university organization, safety is pivotal, and as you can see, combat is often close-quarters.

We do this all year long, 52 weeks/year, every Friday night. This year we had one night canceled on account of the ice-storm, and that was it. (If the campus is closed due to inclement weather, we're not allowed on the campus.)

If anyone is considering coming and has questions, feel free to send a PM.

If anyone in the area has a group of comparable scale, please let me know; I've been seeking rival groups to begin an intercollegiate Nerf War for a year now.

Thanks for your time.

#152996 University Of Cincinnati

Posted by Twitch on 24 April 2008 - 09:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry, couldn't fit everything in 1 post.

Did I mention the arena has 3 floors?
Posted Image

The elevator room, where many a battle plan have been torn asunder by a small squad of people bursting forth, dual wielding RF20's and magstrikes.
Posted Image

The 3rd floor, back of the building (opposite the lobby, and up 1 level)

S.Wong's Last Stand (the upper platform; the doors are effectively a wall, since they lead into a different building, and we use them as a boundary.) S.Wong managed to slay and fend off 7 attackers, using only a pair of bone-stock nitefinders, and emerged unscathed. She has been legend in these parts ever since.
Posted Image

Left of SLS
Posted Image
Notice that the 3rd floors are not connected, but instead act as a sort of tower from which to rain down a maelstrom of darts upon an attacking force, reminiscent of parapets guarding a castle's bridge and portcullis

Same place, but looking to the right of SLS
Posted Image

It's extremely demoralizing to ascend these stairs, and find 9 enemies, armed with BBB's and magstrikes poised behind this wall, barrels pointed between the bricks. A valiant attempt myself and my comrades made...
Posted Image

Oppsite the Lobby, 1 floor down. (3rd level below SLS)
Posted Image

Next: Crosley Tower, The Monolith
Posted Image

Posted Image

We used to stage our games outside and around, but as you will see, the surrounding area is under construction.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
We sometimes play inside the building as well, the architecture is quite bizarre, all floors are roughly the same, with a few variations from one floor to the next. (some rooms are classrooms, some are chem' labs with very expensive equipment. We stay out of those rooms.) All floors are horseshoe-shaped, with stairwells at each end. the stairs lead to the upper and lower floors (obviously) but at the opposite end of the horseshoe.

Sorry, apparently 3 are necessary.

The Gauntlet; a relatively narrow arena, between two long buildings, filled with stairs and obstacles. (the first few pictures are taken from a catwalk, rotating 180 degrees between pictures.)
Posted Image

Posted Image
*turn around*
Posted Image
*down from the catwalk, proceed deep into The Gauntlet*
Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's a few additional pictures of other arenas we use, but only on occasion. (they aren't as... interesting, tactics-wise, as the others.)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you guys enjoyed the tour. Thanks for your time. If any of you folks decide to join us one evening, ask for "Twitch" when you arrive.

I apologize if this is too much. Quite frankly, this group is run by bpso86, myself, and 4 others, and I'm damn proud of it. Who else can boast of organizing a Nerf war of this scale, on a weekly basis? (Rhetorical, I know the UC group is not the only of its kind, but I haven't been able to find many others.)

P.S. Stock ammunition only, this is non-negotiable. At the moment, campus security usually stands on the roof of Zimmer Hall and watch us when we play outside. (It's 2am and they have nothing to do.) As soon as we break a window, or injure a non-combatant the campus security stops putting up with our shenanigans.

#152934 University Of Cincinnati

Posted by Twitch on 24 April 2008 - 04:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Should any one find themselves with nothing to do on a Friday night, at 11pm, you may wish to consider a trip to Cincinnati. We play every Friday, without fail. The war starts at 11pm, and goes until (usually) around 4am Saturday morning. We play inside, primarily, but outdoor matches are also common (either because of tolerable weather, or construction rendering a building inaccessible, or the occasional colossal CTF arena using multiple structures) Here's most of our group of "regulars."

Posted Image

Feel free to stop by, we're always glad to have more. Our record is 96 playing at one time. We don't fuck around.

Our Arenas:
Our primary outdoor battlefield
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to my church: Zimmer Hall. Please, step inside and have a look around.
Posted Image
The Main lobby:
Posted Image
Posted Image

This hallway has a duplicate on the other side of the lobby.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Down the stairs...
Posted Image

Posted Image

and into the catacombs
Posted Image

Posted Image

#152757 Gauntlet Crossbow

Posted by Twitch on 23 April 2008 - 08:38 AM in Modifications

So... I like your arm gauntlet but I'm interested in the narnia thing. How is it fired? Did anything hit your arm/hand when it was fired since it looks as if all internals are visible. I still might get one, along with the airzone crossbow.

In the first picture, you can see a small brown nub behind the handle used to prime the device. despressing this button fired the "blaster." Nothing hit my hand as long as I tuck my fist down, out of the Line of "fire." No, the internals are not exposed like that, I had already removed another piece, (sorry for the inaccurate dEffeminatetion)... I started disassembly after having a few liters, so I was pretty drunk and forgot to take pictures at every step.

I advise against the purchase of this device; at it's best ranges were less then 2 meters, fired level. While $10 isn't a huge chunk of change, it could be better spent on something else. (Blast Bazooka, the Air Zone crossbow, a pair of Nitefinders, et cetera.)