Twitch's Content

There have been 204 items by Twitch (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#210630 Late Winter Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 08 February 2009 - 09:00 PM in Nerf Wars

I've a bit of an odd request; if anyone ha any of the new green/orange dart-tag vests from the Hyperfire set, please bring them to the war. Even if you don't want to sell them, I'd like to get a first-hand look at them.

Thanks.

#199504 Late Winter Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 29 December 2008 - 09:28 AM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, put me as a Definite. Likely w/ a +1.

#207219 Late Winter Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 28 January 2009 - 02:02 PM in Nerf Wars

That's McPoonsnatch. If you spell her name wrong again, she'll become very annoyed with you.

#199330 Late Winter Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 28 December 2008 - 08:32 AM in Nerf Wars

I took a few pictures of the arena last summer.

Posted Image

Make a right.

Posted Image
In case you forgot the address.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#199332 Late Winter Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 28 December 2008 - 08:34 AM in Nerf Wars

And the other field, in case it's too big.
(That's what she said)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
There are a handful of paths through the woods that go from one part of the field to the other, in case one wanted to be a bit sneaky.

#251939 Nerf-o-ween

Posted by Twitch on 28 September 2009 - 06:54 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a "maybe."

#148980 Sidearm/secondary Guns

Posted by Twitch on 02 April 2008 - 10:44 PM in General Nerf

I carry "rush insurance" in the form of a modified magstrike (still needs new barrels) or RF20 with PETG barrels, hanging from a shoulder strap.

#159954 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 22 June 2008 - 07:19 AM in Nerf Wars

http://www.penny-arc...mic/2006/01/04/

#159937 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 21 June 2008 - 07:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Team Badass indeed, if the match had been on Unreal Tournament there would've been a menacing voice yelling "Killing Spree!" after those rounds where we only used automatics against everything else.

Apparently all myself and Capt. Bojangles McPoonsnstach (the hot pink At3k shown in the picture) needed was some lunch before I really got into and started to kick some ass. (And by "kick some ass" I of course mean "actually survive until the end of a round.")

I'm also incredibly glad I bought the OSHA approved sunglasses, otherwise I think I would've lost an eye or two; getting hit in the lens like that makes the most shocking noise.

#155674 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 13 May 2008 - 08:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Wow, that arena looks amazing. Do you know who constructed it? I have a playground located near me that (based on those few pictures) has similar architecture, but it sure as hell doesn't have subterranean tunnels. 1,000 Hands Project, perhaps?

#155660 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 12 May 2008 - 11:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh come on, you forgot me? I'm heart-broken. Really. On a serious note, I can make it pretty much any date everyone else finds convenient. As far off as this is, I should have no problem getting that weekend off work.

#155812 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 14 May 2008 - 04:47 PM in Nerf Wars

So what? a bunch of grown *cough* adults show up w/ blasters. We take the place by force! Or we just show up earlier than them, and when they get in our way we intimidate them into handing over their lunch money and leaving.

...or just devise a back-up locale, I guess that works too.

*6/21 works for me.

#157483 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 30 May 2008 - 06:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I expect I'll be there. I'm going to try and make some obstacles like the ones Cpt. Slug brought to the DCNO but with a few modifications. (Namely less flexible material, and better clips to hold the tarps.) Will we be able to drive metal poles into the ground where we have the war?

#159682 Summer Ohio War

Posted by Twitch on 18 June 2008 - 11:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there, I'll be brining a couple other with me. Though I won't be bringing any obstacles like I'd hoped, I've become distracted by a project. (Though if we're in the same park as last time, I doubt we would have use for them anyway.)

#250697 Columbus War 1.1

Posted by Twitch on 17 September 2009 - 02:56 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a "maybe."

#330291 Cincinnati Birthday Brawl

Posted by Twitch on 27 May 2013 - 03:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Myself +1 are likely to attend.

#258625 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by Twitch on 11 December 2009 - 09:38 AM in Nerf Wars

You can switch myself and CincyChop to definites.

If anyone has a spare SwitchShot (the Wii blaster) with which they would be willing to part, I'd be delighted.

#168564 University Of Cincinnati Open

Posted by Twitch on 12 August 2008 - 09:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I didn't take pictures of it, (those above are mine) but there's another much more typical jungle-gym (steel pillars, plastic walls, small slides, etc.) of sorts about 70 feet from the fort, which makes for some really interesting CTF matches. There are no water fountains, but one could refill water bottles at the sink, in the lavatory if so desired. The fort is on a hill, that slopes down on the same side as the tunnel entrance, and large open fields surround the area.

P.S. bpso86, Swong will be there as well, she was at my house when this was being organized and should be able to get the day off work.

#258775 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by Twitch on 12 December 2009 - 08:17 PM in Nerf Wars

dog9, FatherTime has your magstrike. He lives in Cincinnati, so hopefully the two of you will attend the same war in the near future.

Back to the war, I feel really bad about mistakenly shooting like 3 people in the face. I know the cold always makes those kinda injuries sting all the more. Aside from the embarrassment of getting pegged by me in the first place.

A damn fine day all around, and thanks to Coop I can dual-wield Wiimotes with exceptional finesse.

It's a shame I won't see the majority of you until next spring.

#257596 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by Twitch on 29 November 2009 - 10:02 PM in Nerf Wars

"Maybe."

#168998 University Of Cincinnati Open

Posted by Twitch on 14 August 2008 - 07:56 AM in Nerf Wars

6000 Veterans Way
Burlington KY 41005

Is the park's address. It's a very large park, once you get there, you have to drive along the main road for a while,just keep driving until the main road ends in a parking lot, you should see a sheltered area right in front of you (don't go there, as another group has already reserved it, instead go to the top of the hill, left of the shelter, to the fort.

bpso86, you should probably add the address to the first post, for simplicity. In addition, the park opens at 8am; perhaps we should start the war earlier, to give us a better chance of getting to the fort before it's overrun with parasites.

#174566 University Of Cincinnati Open

Posted by Twitch on 02 September 2008 - 06:28 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't recall seeing any outlets when I was there last time. As for bringing blasters to sell, I'd suspect such a thing would not be a problem.

#153884 Other Hobbies Aside From Nerfing?

Posted by Twitch on 29 April 2008 - 07:39 PM in Off Topic

My other main hobby, aside from Nerf is welding. I have an acetylene cutting/welding torch, an AC/DC Arc welder, and most recently acquired a MAPP gas torch. As for how I got into nerf, I enjoy the idea of being to apply what I've learned in my various physics and (occasionally) chemistry courses. I'd rather apply it toward my own amusement, rather than let it rot in my brain until I die. I enjoy the opportunity to experiment and see the results every Friday night; and if you're smarter than everyone else, then one acquires a significant tactical advantage.

Oh, I was also surprised by the large percentage (about 40%) of the club that are women.... that's always a nice incentive.

#273419 C.o.w. 2

Posted by Twitch on 26 April 2010 - 04:18 PM in Nerf Wars

List me as a "Maybe."

#217990 Neono

Posted by Twitch on 14 March 2009 - 11:15 PM in Nerf Wars

I will not be present, nor will Cpt. Bojangles McPoonsnatch. She sends her regards.

#274793 C.o.w. 2

Posted by Twitch on 14 May 2010 - 09:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Twitch +1. See ya tomorrow.

#274920 C.o.w. 2

Posted by Twitch on 16 May 2010 - 11:52 AM in Nerf Wars

I loved running around with the Titan. I've been inspired now, to undertake several projects focused on that blaster and that ammunition.

In other news, I've transferred the video from the camera to my computer. I'll start reviewing and editing later this week.

#214146 Neono

Posted by Twitch on 22 February 2009 - 01:00 PM in Nerf Wars

Dust off? In Cincinnati our blasters don't rest long enough to get dusty. Put me down as a "Maybe."

#274399 C.o.w. 2

Posted by Twitch on 09 May 2010 - 06:18 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll definitely be there. In addition to a few others, I'll be bringing a big tub of Nerf blasters/parts to sell. (I've been informed more than a couple of you intend to do the same.)

See ya Saturday.

#238072 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by Twitch on 22 June 2009 - 08:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Well you can confirm that you'll be awake and ready to leave at 5am and have Badwrench list you as a definite.

#237718 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by Twitch on 21 June 2009 - 12:33 AM in Nerf Wars

Change my entry to "definite." In addition, I may have up to 3 additional guests, not including Cpt. Bojangles McPoonsnatch.

#239200 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by Twitch on 29 June 2009 - 11:10 AM in Nerf Wars

Video from the war

#238815 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by Twitch on 26 June 2009 - 08:25 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm excited, I've my car all packed and ready, myself and my cohorts shall be departing here around roughly 5am. See ya tomorrow, everyone.

#229219 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by Twitch on 09 May 2009 - 05:03 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm certainly interested, put me down as a "maybe" until I figure out exactly when the exam will be for the lab I'm taking this summer.

#227069 Ohio Nerf War

Posted by Twitch on 29 April 2009 - 12:57 PM in Nerf Wars

"Nothing gets done?"

I'm still busy editing the 10+ hours of video from Valhalla but once I finish I'll make sure you get to see the error of your ways. I won't reiterate what JediJoe9 already posted, but I will take this opportunity to let you know that Valhalla II should be later this summer. So don't be too upset that you missed one of the greatest wars this year.

*Edit*

Depending on the weekend, I'd be up for a war in Columbus.

#198180 Martial Arts?

Posted by Twitch on 22 December 2008 - 09:51 PM in Off Topic

1st Degree Black Belt, Mau Dau Do, 2/21/98.

#238963 Elhanw: Eh, Let's Have A Nerf War.

Posted by Twitch on 27 June 2009 - 10:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Myself, Cpt. Bojangles McPoonsnatch, and Alpha-Tango Thunderstrike Slaughter-Falcon Black-Skorpion diddle-Dingo Night-Raven Shark-Jumper Fuck-Hawk 9000 Deluxe would like to be listed under the "maybe" catergory. I may have an additional guest as well.

#212473 This Was A Triumph.

Posted by Twitch on 15 February 2009 - 04:34 PM in Nerf Wars

And now for some images from around the arena. Unfortunately many of these pictures were taken after I asked the manager to turn on the fog machines, here's some of the better pictures. The flash was used in many pictures, the arena is not nearly as well lit as some of these would suggest.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lastly, there is the soundtrack. Typically assorted techno music is piped into the arena. The owners will play whatever we ask, so long as we provide the CD's. Some have have dreamed dreamed of sneaking around whilst the theme song from Mission Impossible or James Bond is playing, or of rushing with dual-Magstrikes will Highway to the Danger Zone (theme from Top Gun) is blaring. I have made such dreams come true.

#212470 This Was A Triumph.

Posted by Twitch on 15 February 2009 - 04:31 PM in Nerf Wars

As many of you are aware, one of the largest, regularly occurring Nerf groups on this continent was shut-down many months ago.

http://nerfhaven.com...8&hl=Cincinnati

A small, semi-secret organization; The Orange Hand took an interest in Cincinnati, and contacted a few of the old board members of the UC Nerf Club. They have been the driving force behind the recent attempt to reestablish the club. While the effort to return to campus continues, an alternative has been arranged for us by TOH. We have been renting out a Laser Tag facility on a semi-weekly basis. I assure you it is amazing.

Posted Image

I post this not to invite the rest of the NIC, but instead as a business model of sorts, to inspire the rest of you to go and attempt the same thing in your own respective areas. We've been doing this for about five weeks, and have already inspired a 2nd group (lead by Zaxbys) to follow in our path.

TOH was able to negotiate rates for us to rent the facility vastly (80%) below the normal market price. The fire code limits us to 99 people in the arena at any given time, and for that reason we cannot extend an open invitation to the rest of the NIC (The Cincinnati group already has it operating at nearly full capacity; any more and the arena becomes excessively crowded.)

Enough typing for now, I'm sure you like to see some pictures.

Here's about 1/2 of our group. (We had 47 people our first night. Not bad attendance for less than 2 weeks notice.) Three members of TOH were present with us that night, though only one is in the picture. (Center, back, the hand-print shirt.)
Posted Image

The laser tag arena has some fantastic perks, aside from it being available year-round.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Being illuminated exclusively by black lights, and ambient illumination from fluorescent obstacles creates some fantastic visual effects. Color schemes on blasters in Cincinnati are changing very, very quickly.

We've used several different methods to distinguish teams, ranging from long head/arm bands using fluorescent flagging tape and war paint, which is possibly the greatest way to distinguish teams ever conjured.
Posted Image

Many stock blasters glow under the black lights, as demonstrated by the blue Magstrike shown below.
Posted Image
Though my camera failed to capture them, Nerf brand darts (not BuzzBee) glow bright orange under the same illumination. every dart is effectively a trace round, and the place looks like something from Star Wars. We tried having the rule that shots only counted if the firer yelled "PEW PEW PEW" with each shot., but it was difficult to enforce.

One of bpso86's xbows.
Posted Image
I love how it glows like some magical weapon from an Anime cartoon.

#212474 This Was A Triumph.

Posted by Twitch on 15 February 2009 - 04:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Now, here's the part with the motivational-speaking bit come in.

Zaxbys has been inspired to create his own, similar group in his area. I want to see more of these things popping up, as as such, I end this with some talking points used by TOH and myself to create this fantastic organization. Hopefully you too can use these to create your own amazing Nerfclub in a laser tag arena.

First, the owner(s) must be assured that no damage will come to their facility. (This was, as you can imagine, as significant hurdle.) Banning things like singled Titans and their ilk (already common practice amongst many groups) is likely a good idea. expect to bring in a few blasters to show to the owner, and assure them no damages will result. (Our group ha switched to stock-darts only as a safety precaution. No stefans, and actually even Stock Titans have been banned, as as those in charge feel it cold break the long, brittle black lights.)

We are not using their equipment. Which means they don't have to turn on a lot of their equipment in the arena as well. All we the Cincinnati group uses are the black lights, fog machines, and stereo. The arcade is usually turned on, which works to provide additional income from those of us who are out a lot of the time.

Running amok for several hours makes people thirsty, and the concession stands have been kept open.

Because the Nerfing group has a more-or-less clear chain of command (remnant from when we were still on campus) we are self-policing, ans as such, Lazer Kraze keeps minimal staff on duty while we play. Only a store manager, (who changes the CD's for us, turns on the fog machines, etc.) and another employee to operate the concession stands. Only paying wages for 2 employees makes it much easier on the facility, and helps to increase the rather small profit margins they gain from us.

The cost is of course the primary concern. Zaxbys has been able to negotiate an even greater deal with his local facility. The Cincinnati group has been able to charge our members $4/person/week; enough to cover our costs for the night, and build a small surplus usable to pay for the services on a slow night, purchase pizzas for the group, arrange a "free" night, et cetera.

If anyone else manages to start a similar group, please let me know.

If anyone has trouble starting a similar group, please let me know. If I cannot offer any useful advice, then perhaps TOH will, or even the owner of Lazer Kraze. (She has bee incredibly generous to us, and has been able to turn a small profit from us.) She may have advice to offer.

Lastly, a special thanks to those whom assisted me in making this possible: bpso86, The Orange Hand, and Robin, the owner of Lazer Kraze.