Twitch's Content

There have been 204 items by Twitch (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#152757 Gauntlet Crossbow

Posted by Twitch on 23 April 2008 - 08:38 AM in Modifications

So... I like your arm gauntlet but I'm interested in the narnia thing. How is it fired? Did anything hit your arm/hand when it was fired since it looks as if all internals are visible. I still might get one, along with the airzone crossbow.

In the first picture, you can see a small brown nub behind the handle used to prime the device. despressing this button fired the "blaster." Nothing hit my hand as long as I tuck my fist down, out of the Line of "fire." No, the internals are not exposed like that, I had already removed another piece, (sorry for the inaccurate dEffeminatetion)... I started disassembly after having a few liters, so I was pretty drunk and forgot to take pictures at every step.

I advise against the purchase of this device; at it's best ranges were less then 2 meters, fired level. While $10 isn't a huge chunk of change, it could be better spent on something else. (Blast Bazooka, the Air Zone crossbow, a pair of Nitefinders, et cetera.)

#152707 Gauntlet Crossbow

Posted by Twitch on 22 April 2008 - 09:31 PM in Modifications

During a recent trip to Toys'R Us, I found a few things. One will be featured here. (the 2nd probably around the start of next week.) I love using the SMDTB's as back-up weapons. It's fantastic having 3 extra shots from a blaster you don't even have to draw from a holster. Because my group only permits tag darts, they posed a problem for me; the tag darts in the barrels were constantly getting caught on dart bags, resulting in the barrels being unloaded every time I would go to reload my primary. I saw this at the TRU, and was intrigued.

Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian Gauntlet Crossbow (With tag dart, for scale)
Posted Image

While the box made no claims of range, (not a good sign, I admit) it was only $10, and I was delighted by the idea of a wrist-blaster mounted on top of the wrist, rather than below. (As such a location would prevent the problem I have with a SMDTB.)

It indeed has "action" which one could (poorly) describe as "blasting." Stock range was < 1 meter. I foolishly still held hope, as the spring seemed surprisingly strong for its size, and the stock barrel was very loose. So I of course opened her up.
Posted Image

I saw the size of the plunger tube
Posted Image
and cursed quietly to myself.

Even after replacing the barrel, (I tried cpvc, a crayola marker barrel, and finally PETG) ranges were entirely unacceptable. Though twisting out the peg did result in a massive, 100% increase in range.

I darts which came with the hunk of plastic were rather interesting.
Posted Image
The gold dome, unlike a streamlined dart, is not hollow. While not exactly hard, the plastic dome is solid. I fired the 3 shiny darts out of my Recon (my Longshot lays ignored and disassembled, like C-3PO in Episode I) hoping the dense dart head would allow them to fly better than streamlined darts. Again I was disappointed. While they do not fishtail in the bizarre manner typical of streamlined darts, the range was decreased by what I estimate to be 1.5 meters.

So, why bother to even post anything about this device? 2 reasons:
1: Warn others to stay away. This thing is worthless. If I get really bored, I'll try and squeeze a Nitefinder plunger assembly in there.

2: It inspired me to build this;
Posted Image

I decided I would gain at least some shred of benefit from this toy, and inspiration for a much larger gauntlet Crossbow seemed fitting enough.

To make your own Gauntlet Crossbow that has ranges in excess of 2 meters, here's what you'll need:
Air Zone Crossbow
hot glue/suitable applicator
string
metal loop
thin, flexible tubing.
drilling implement

This is such a simple project, I doubt many words are needed to supplement the pictures here.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I used an archery bracer (more commonly known as an arm guard; can be found at most sporting goods stores) as the method of attaching the blaster to my forearm. While removing the crossbow limbs takes away from the aesthetics/coolness of having a wrist-mounted crossbow, it keeps the blaster from being troublesome in combat. Ranges are typical for an Air Zone crossbow, since this modification did nothing to the internals.

I plan on using the same trigger idea to make my SMDTB usable when mounted to the top of my wrist.

Thanks for your time.

#112583 Lonshot Air Capacity

Posted by Twitch on 22 June 2007 - 07:47 PM in Modifications

Measure and calculate the volume of the plunger chamber.
Volume of a cylinder = (Pi*r^2)*L

Oh, and look at the pinned threads at the top of the list

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=1610

#285283 Lazer Kraze, Near King's Island

Posted by Twitch on 11 September 2010 - 03:43 PM in Nerf Wars

All the normal rules; stock darts, bring a bit of cash, obey my commands without question.

The Stonewall shield will be allowed as a shield.The stampede shield will not be permitted to be used as a shield. I'm not going to have time wasted during the event because two people are arguing that the dart struck the shield or the barrel.

That aside, so you folks there.