frost vectron's Content

There have been 482 items by frost vectron (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#136836 Supermax 500 Modification

Posted by frost vectron on 22 January 2008 - 02:24 AM in Modifications

Yeah, mine is much sexier.

What did you do to that mav?

Haha, perhaps. I do like how my orange rings are intact, though.

The maverick has the cocking handle reinforced.

#136720 Mutant Stock Dart

Posted by frost vectron on 21 January 2008 - 03:50 AM in General Nerf

Back in the day, we used to chop off the suction-cup part and leave the rubber collar and tip intact to make our darts fly better. After the cutting, they looked a lot like the dart that you're showing. That was a really long time ago.

#136719 Supermax 500 Modification

Posted by frost vectron on 21 January 2008 - 03:43 AM in Modifications

A 3/4" to 1/2" CPVC Reducer fits right on top of the white portion of the "barrel" as well.

Posted Image

I do like how you kept the muzzle intact, though! These babies are rare. :unsure:

#136645 The Snap-5

Posted by frost vectron on 20 January 2008 - 05:32 PM in Homemades

Great work, as always, Carbon! :)

I've been meaning to build a SNAP one of these days, but I just haven't got around to it yet.

EDIT: As far as the signature limit goes, I would just make a blogger or something with links/photos to each of your snap designs--then hotlink to that blog.

#136443 Lancer

Posted by frost vectron on 19 January 2008 - 03:09 AM in Modifications

Stunning piece of artwork, Angel!

I'm working on a gun that utilizes LEDs too.

LEDs + guns + nerf = amazingly fun stuff! :lol:

Does that chainsaw make a menacing noise when it's running, or is it silent?

#136224 I Need Your Creative Genius!

Posted by frost vectron on 17 January 2008 - 03:24 AM in Off Topic

I have to say that Richomundo is correct with the radio locking itself if the battery is disconnected. I had never heard of such a thing before (cause I only drive 80's and 90's era sports cars), but it's there. My girlfriend's Acura TL battery had died, so I helped her charge it back up for temporary use before we get a replacement. After charging it up, the radio asked for a code. I had no idea why, but it did.

Had to call her parents and get the code, but all's good now.

#136088 The Versatile Airtech

Posted by frost vectron on 15 January 2008 - 06:15 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

JAWS

#135734 Be Gentle With Your Goop,

Posted by frost vectron on 12 January 2008 - 06:19 PM in Modifications

You should also always use your adhesives outdoors because of the dangerous fumes.

Using these products outdoors will allow the chemicals to diffuse more freely in the air than indoors. The Amazing Plumber's Goop is a pretty toxic adhesive, be careful!

#135591 +bow

Posted by frost vectron on 11 January 2008 - 03:47 AM in Homemades

Bravo, Captain Slug!

Your work never fails to amaze me. That turreted +Bow looks incredible! I'd love to see a side-by-side shot with FA_24's Doomsayer.

I think you did a great job capturing the essense of the original Crossbow and adding to it. I read through the instruction guide, and I must say that this gun is built to survive! The entire thing must be incredibly robust!

Again, great job!

#135361 Paintball

Posted by frost vectron on 09 January 2008 - 03:47 AM in Off Topic

If you dress appropriately, you will be fine.

I first paintballed when I was 12 or 13, and I was (actually, still am) on the thin side of the spectrum. My older brother worried a little about me, but I ended up being fine. I went to the army surplus store and picked up a nice set of loose-fitting camo pants and jacket. I threw a pair of tight-fitting sweats on (cause it was cold as hell when I played) and wore the camoflauge on top.

Sure some shots stung like hell, but you'll get over it. I played for about 3 years and never got a visible bruise. If you want to minimize pain, don't leave any skin exposed. Make sure you have the thickest gloves you can find, too. I think hand-shots hurt the most.

Also, wear a cup and a neck guard! You'll wish you had them if you get hit in those areas.

#134467 Longshot Internal Pics

Posted by frost vectron on 30 December 2007 - 10:24 PM in General Nerf

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7527

You know there is a thread dedicated to longshot questions, right?

#133375 Integrations, Post Them Here!

Posted by frost vectron on 22 December 2007 - 02:08 AM in Modifications

Frost, can you just make a simple single barreled weapon, ever?

Nope. Never. :rolleyes:

#133287 Integrations, Post Them Here!

Posted by frost vectron on 21 December 2007 - 06:11 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

JAWS

Posted Image

Rattler v.4

#133016 '07 Highlights

Posted by frost vectron on 18 December 2007 - 09:47 PM in General Nerf

Getting back into the swing of things. :angry:

#132562 What Gun Is This?

Posted by frost vectron on 15 December 2007 - 05:30 PM in General Nerf

A common mod back in the day was to relocate the barrel so it would be directly on the end of the plunger tube. Good 'ole times.

#131688 Razor Fin

Posted by frost vectron on 08 December 2007 - 04:19 PM in Modifications

The Razor Fin is made by NERF. It came out in the mid-1990s under the Max Force: 2112 line.

#131644 Razor Fin

Posted by frost vectron on 08 December 2007 - 04:00 AM in Modifications

That's a pretty sweet gun, Angel. I have been wanting to pick one of these up for a while, but I couldn't find a good deal on eBay.

It's a shame that you couldn't save the 2-barrel set-up, cause that was one of the things that made this gun interesting to me. The biggest turn off was the hose-handle trigger set-up for me.

The way you have it set up now reminds me a whole lot of a Triple Torch. Do you plan on integrating that thing anywhere?

Great mod! Thanks for posting those internal photos--I always like to see guts of guns I've never worked with before.

#131560 Nerf In Popular Culture

Posted by frost vectron on 07 December 2007 - 02:15 AM in General Nerf

I think I just spotted an ERTL Rapid Fire Shotgun on Stargate: Atlantis (Season 1, "The Eye").

Posted Image

They do look a little different, though, so I can't confirm it.

#131558 Tech Target Basics

Posted by frost vectron on 07 December 2007 - 02:04 AM in Modifications

Another popular lubricant is Silicone spray (which might be easier to find, depending on what kind of stores you have available to you). I found my silicone spray in the automotive section, but it is used for a variety of different things so it might be in a different section for you.

Do not use WD-40. It is a common mistake. Don't use any other lubricants that aren't rubber or plastic friendly.

#131537 Tech Target Basics

Posted by frost vectron on 06 December 2007 - 10:55 PM in Modifications

This is quite a different approach to a spring replacement! Most people would just trim a few coils off their largest spring so that it'll have a smaller compressed length. I've never seen this method before--great thinking.

I definitely agree, a barrel replacement would get you great ranges. Try finding 1/2" CPVC or 9/16" Brass or 17/32" Brass locally. If not, you might want to order some PETG from One Man Clan to really get those darts moving.

Welcome to the 'Haven.

EDIT: Also, your photos are a great size right now. They don't appear too large for me at all.

#131489 Supermaxx 3000 Valve Problems

Posted by frost vectron on 06 December 2007 - 01:38 AM in Modifications

If it doesn't fix the leak, you should be able to replace the rubber disk with another from the hardware store. Just glue that sucker on top of the plastic piece that the old disk sat on top of.

#131267 Supermaxx 3000 Valve Problems

Posted by frost vectron on 02 December 2007 - 04:36 PM in Modifications

With my SM5000 valve, the air leaked out of the front of the valve. The black rubber ring that sealed the valve somehow came off of the moving part in the valve. I had to somehow superglue that black ring back onto the plastic base. After that and a little silicone spray, it seals fine and holds pressure well.

I suggest you use a spray bottle and spray water over the tank and the tubes to see where the air leaks out (or submerge it all in water), then goop over wherever it is leaking (usually around the tubing connections).

#131265 Good Sale

Posted by frost vectron on 02 December 2007 - 04:33 PM in General Nerf

That is the disk shot expansion pack, not the entire disk shot set.

#131143 Good Sale

Posted by frost vectron on 01 December 2007 - 08:21 PM in General Nerf

True on the fine print, however just look at the opportunity of getting say for example 3 Long shots for the price of 2,...What's wrong with that?

Of course the % saved would be different if you bought different guns, but would be the same if you bought 3 of the same...

You just have to think whether or not you'll benefit from the purchase. Sadly you never will because it's always the retailer who wins in the long run.

Unless your Mickey Dee's coffee doesn't say "Caution: Hot!" on it...

Well, except Sourskittles' plan was to get the nitefinder and maverick (two guns under $10 each) to get a disc shot ($50) for free.

#131135 Supermaxx 3000 Valve Problems

Posted by frost vectron on 01 December 2007 - 07:57 PM in Modifications

Lionhead: If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask me. The trickier parts is getting the tank cut since the turret really gets in your way. Also, you've got to be really careful in lining it back up as well.

Forsaken: Thanks. After doing all this, I think I hate the sm3k as well. :lol:

Venom: Sorry about the wait! I had completely forgotten I had these photos on my hard drive. As for ranges, not that I can think of. The ranges are the same as they were before. Slap some barrels on and use decent stefans and you should be hitting 70-80's. Also be sure to reinforce the pump handle because that breaks very easily (moreso if you have plugged the pump).

#131123 Supermaxx 3000 Valve Problems

Posted by frost vectron on 01 December 2007 - 07:20 PM in Modifications

So I fixed the valve again, and it seems to be permanent. :lol: This is better than my previous method.

First, you need to cut the airtank in half horizontally. I suggest that you use a dremel and draw lines using a sharpie so you can line up how the tank was originally oriented when you glue the thing back together. Be careful not to cut the turret's vital moving pieces! As far as I could tell, the turret couldn't be removed from the tank.

Posted Image

Here is where the terminal breakage occured on my SM3000

Posted Image

That little plastic nub used to have a plastic loop attached. The metal bar that actuated the valve pulled this front valve piece (the part that seals the front of the tank) by pulling on the loop. When pulled, the front valve piece would move backwards into the tank and release the air. The loop broke after some use, so the gun would not release air when firing.

Secondly, you want to goop the metal bar directly to the front valve piece. How should we approach this? Well, I found something interesting about the front valve piece--it is actually hollow! So I tested a theory and here's what I got:

Posted Image

The metal bar can actually fit inside of the piece (it has 90 degree bend at the end of the bar, which is the part that goes into the front piece). Anyways, don't goop anything into place just yet because you still need the spring inbetween there (otherwise the tank won't seal when you pump it up. It will be stuck "open").

Here is what my set-up looks like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rubber bands are there to keep the spring from touching the gooped connection while it dries. This would ensure that they don't dry at some funny angle or something. Additionally:

Posted Image

This is how I let it dry. I wanted it hanging down vertically so the front valve piece will be perpendicular to the front of the tank once I re-gooped the halves together. If your front valve piece is not oriented correctly when you goop the tank back together, the gun will not seal! Take care in making sure it is centered and at the right angle. I let it dry for 3 days before cutting the rubber bands and letting the spring rest up against it.

Posted Image

That is the end of the difficult part! There are some additional steps that you need to do before the gun will be working again:

1) Spray silicone lube on black rubber portion of the front valve piece (for good seals).
2) Goop the tank back together again (you may need clamps/rubber bands again since the spring will want to keep the tank from closing together). Be sure to use plenty of goop, line up the sharpie marks you made earlier, and not to accidentally goop the turret together! I also recommend cleaning out as much dust and plastic bits inside the tank as possible.
3) Reassemble the gun.

I find that this method works because the metal rod pulls directly on the front valve piece now. It does not pull on a weak plastic loop, nor does it pull on a chemical bond made by adhesives (previous method). The only way this will break now is if the entire front valve piece falls apart, and even that is more unlikely now that it's practically a solid mound of plumber's goop!

Hope this was of some help to somebody out there!

#130925 Secretivness Of Mods

Posted by frost vectron on 29 November 2007 - 01:44 AM in General Nerf

Usually its not good to have 2 or more projects going at once but these ideas will not stop.

Couldn't agree with you more. The worst thing is when you have multiple projects that span across multiple hobbies... I can't seem to figure out which hobby I want to work on in a given day, and then there's the problem of setting everything up once you decide that.

Can't wait to see the new stuff, Angel!

I am working on quite a few things as well (at least I have wanted to, but haven't started yet), namely the modders' "Race to the Ratchetblast".

#130892 Secretivness Of Mods

Posted by frost vectron on 28 November 2007 - 08:55 PM in General Nerf

There's only so much you can do to a nerf gun.

Saying that you're keeping a mod a secret is only a blatant insult to everybody else because anyone with a reasonable amount of knowledge in nerf guns and physics can figure out what was done to the gun (perhaps not exactly down to which materials, but the rough concept of it all). It's like saying that you did something that was fairly simple and we all don't have the intelligence to figure it out unless you tell us how. That's not how it is at all. We all know how a nerf gun works, generally, so how can any mod be a secret? Mod write-ups are essentially guides for materials, techniques, and sizes/placement to get your shit working without much trial and error.

@ Nerfalchemist: That guy was a douche bag because he kept his mods a secret AND expected people here to help him with his problem. If you aren't willing to contribute, then why should we help you? It's not about if you contribute or not; it's about if you have the opportunity to contribute, and then you don't.

Not to mention his secret mods were standard, unoriginal, modding practices we all know about here anyways.

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

So back to the main point of the topic:

To your friend with the longshot. Look at Angel's longshot. That is probably the highest attainable level of longshot you can do (without integrations of sorts). So basically it's impossible for your friend to have a longshot more modded than Angel's. Get the idea? There's always an upper limit somewhere. "Secret mods" usually don't go above this limit (mainly because if you're calling your mod a secret, it isn't likely to be revolutionary or ground-breaking).

#130781 Are You Kidding Me?

Posted by frost vectron on 27 November 2007 - 03:00 AM in General Nerf

The worst thing is that the person selling it is one of our members: CaptainCC.

No, the worst thing is that people continue to post topics like these that simply ogle and speculate at other people's decisions that really do not affect the nerf community in any way.

#130326 Arsenal Pictures

Posted by frost vectron on 21 November 2007 - 07:52 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image

This is only part of it... I'm not gonna bother with listing all the guns in this photo.

Notable guns in this photo are: SM5000 and the Rattler.

#130282 My 2nd Attempt At Concert Photography

Posted by frost vectron on 21 November 2007 - 02:42 AM in Off Topic

The one on the far left? Ya I took her to the show and the asian girl. I've been infatuated with her for at least 2 years secretly.

^_^

I actually had the one 2nd to the right in my mind, but all's good!

EDIT: On the topic of photography... Do you have any race tracks near you? I've gone to few track days (basically practice runs on a race track) to watch automotive racing (I'm still autocrossing right now and am probably not financially prepared for actual track events), and my older brother does track days for motorcycling. Sometimes they have freelance photographers go out there and take photos of the participants. I believe my brother paid almost $200 for a CD of about 30-40 photos of him racing. It might be something to look into, if you're into that kind of stuff. :lol:

#130261 Chronicles 2007

Posted by frost vectron on 20 November 2007 - 07:57 PM in General Nerf

"Me, OMC, Kuhlshrank, RAMBO even--actually.. not RAMBO, we're the rockstars."

^_^

Awesome as always, Groove!

#130237 Nerf In Popular Culture

Posted by frost vectron on 20 November 2007 - 04:05 AM in General Nerf

Nerf sightings eh?
Here we go.

Married with children. I saw Peggy bud and kelly unload on Al Bundy with Ballzookas.

The late show with David letterman, I saw him on load on buttercup with a tommy 20.

In Andromeda, I saw Nichian warriors holding painted and fully propped out SM3K's. Looked very shiny. It was in this one episode that involved a lake.

I was just watching the bonus dvd on Gears of War and I noticed they used At3K's and At4K's in the making of the game. They attached probes to them and then digitally turned them into Lancers and such. Can you imagine a Nerf Lancer!
The guys who created Gears of war shoot each other with nerf guns randomly during the work day. Guns seen were a BBB, AT3K, AT4K and a maverick.

In camp nowhere I remember seeing an Arrowstorm.

I am sure I have seen more, will edit later when I remember them.

Funny you mention Andromeda.

Some of the Nietzchian warriors, Genites, and other random aliens use a really pimped out Vortex Tornado. I never noticed the SM3K's... will have to look at them again! ^_^

#130146 Inter Continental Nerf Missile

Posted by frost vectron on 19 November 2007 - 02:17 AM in Modifications

I built the plunger-based rocket over 5 years ago:

http://www.frostvect...et/nerf_rpg.htm

Don't mind the horrible website.

#129935 Stefan Drilling?

Posted by frost vectron on 16 November 2007 - 07:25 PM in General Nerf

I find that having holes at the back of my darts makes loading easier, especially when using a tight barrel material such as 1/2" CPVC. It allows you to squish the dart when you twist it into the barrel.

I use stefans with only 1 BB and they seem to work fine (even with guns like an supermaxx 5000).

#129901 Brass Question

Posted by frost vectron on 16 November 2007 - 03:58 PM in General Nerf

I would have gotten 9/16" brass.

If it were too loose, then I'd throw some tightening rings on it.

Anyways, if your stefans are approximately the same size as your stock nerf darts, 17/32" should work just fine. If they are a little fatter though, 17/32" might be a little tight.

#129866 Nerf And Police

Posted by frost vectron on 16 November 2007 - 02:26 AM in Nerf Wars

When playing in public places, I also like to use verbal taunts and talk to my buddies to set the atmosphere.

Things like, "That was a great shot, but it missed me by miles!" It then becomes very obvious to anyone in hearing range that we're just having tons of fun. The place I play at is usually open and so there's not much sneaking around, anyways.

#129858 The Ratchetblast

Posted by frost vectron on 16 November 2007 - 12:51 AM in Modifications

Wow, I'm wondering why I didn't see this topic earlier.

I, too am working on an RB mod. Actually, I drew up some plans a month or so ago, but haven't gotten anything in motion yet.

The ratchetblast must be hot shit among modders now :lol:. I don't think my version of the RB mod will be nearly as complex, though. Best of luck to everyone! This is great motivation to get crackin' on this gun whenever I get back to my hometown.

Something I noticed about my ratchetblast is that it would not fire after a barrel replacement. I found that the gray squishy seal lost its adhesive quality over many years. When the internal rotation mechanism would switch barrels, the gray sealer became disalligned with the turret. After I used some crazy glue, it was firing strong again. Just something to watch out for if your RB absolutely refuses to fire. I also had the same thing happen to a Wildfire.

EDIT: Also after opening the Ratchetblast, I became inherently pissed off. The rotating air assembly is EXACTLY the same design as the Rattler. If I had owned an RB back in the day, I would not have modded my Rattler the way I did. I see now that the Rattler is a great gun other than the fact that it is missing something analagous to that squishy gray piece. If you jammed something like that into the Rattler assembly, you would probably get great ranges and keep the rotation mechanism intact. The only thing missing would be a trigger, but who cares about that? I realized the entire reason behind poor performance from the Rattler's delivery system was only the seal between the rotation and the turret, which NERF apparently fixed when they released the Ratchetblast.

#129184 Double Shot Question

Posted by frost vectron on 09 November 2007 - 01:39 AM in Modifications

I don't own a double shot, but it sounds as if the PVC is pushing up against the air chamber for the seal.

Try using neoprene washers to bridge that seal. They are a little squishy, so you can get a tight fit without worrying about the gun not closing (since they'll squish to allow the gun to close). If I'm visualizing this wrong, let me know.

#129120 Nerf...is It Stress Relieving Too You?

Posted by frost vectron on 08 November 2007 - 03:58 PM in General Nerf

Love Modding.
Love Nerfing.

Occasionally "love" reading stuff here. Othertimes, it's just damn stressful.