Mantis's Content

There have been 512 items by Mantis (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#112963 E-mailing Hasbro

Posted by Mantis on 25 June 2007 - 09:18 AM in General Nerf

I still wear my Nerf shirt the two engineers gave us when they came, its a hell of an ice breaker.

#112955 Deal War (new Jersey)

Posted by Mantis on 25 June 2007 - 07:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Hersh, in exchage for an HJ and me muling some of your stuff from spot to spot, could you bring an extra gun and pistol for me? I tried modding my maverick last time and things went right to shit.

You're out of your element Donnie.

#112536 Any Advice?

Posted by Mantis on 22 June 2007 - 02:42 PM in General Nerf

You need to have enough guns to supply a few people to start. If you have a war with 4 people in your basement or backyard, and everyone has a blast, they'll wanna do it again, right? So they'll be coming over next weekend to have a war, and when people ask them what they have on tap for Saturday, they say, I'm going over to Supercraft 99's house to have a nerf war.
Nerf war? What's that?
You shoot each other with these nerf guns supercraft99 has that are really powerful, its fun.
Can I come?
Sure, but make sure you bring the French Fries and Gravy.

That's how things get started.

#112206 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 03:20 PM in General Nerf

I gotta wonder what some of the younger crowd thinks of all this business, so far the discussion has been dominated by us older, cooler, better looking nerfers.

As for what Famine was saying, I like the idea of filming as much as possible and then watching it later. If we had a solid 30 mintues of footage to watch (and berate), it could make for a damn good time. That's up to whoever has a videocamera though, which I certainly do not.

#112178 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 12:31 PM in General Nerf

It is the answer. If the kiddies suck, it won't matter so long as they are in the fray at all times. I would grade a young gun very highly if he didn't pussy out when the rest of us were rushing. Hell, it might even make the war more fun.

I'm starting to like this.

Edit: I almost forgot to remind everyone that this will ruin nerf.

#112173 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 12:03 PM in General Nerf

The more I think about this Good Teammate idea, the more I actually think this system could be useful.

Alright, I'm almost positive I'm going to be changing this idea as thoughts come to me throughout the day, but here's the basics, and its not objective at all.

Players are given a rating between 1-5 at the end of rounds by their teammates. Everyone has a score card in their pocket, with the name of each nerfer at the war on it, you rate the people who were on your team for that round, stuff it back in your pocket, and do it again after the next round. This is based on how your teammates think you helped the team out.
It will be good for 2 reasons.
One is that it will help bring people together at wars, since you will need to know the name or at least nickname of everyone there, so as to rate them. This should help contribute to positive trash talking and what have you.
Second, who could rate someone in the Good Teammate better than his own teammates?

The scoring will be based upon different things depending on who you ask. I might think it was lame as shit that someone never rushed with us, and instead stayed back. Somebody might think that a person who chose to be separate from the team for almost the entire round, even though he got some kills, was a shtity person to have on your team. So if Rob grabbed a ballgun and snuck up on the other team, wiping them out, I'd give him a 5, but someone else might give it a 3 since he didn't tell us he was planning on doing that.

At the end of the day, or whenever there's a break, you can add up some scores and see what your average was for the war.

Who knows, it could work.

But this will ruin nerf.

#112158 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 09:59 AM in General Nerf

Instead, you should just be focusing on how to help the team reach the greater goal. This game has never been about personal ability and there is no reason we should start now.

Good point. I can hardly remember the outcome of various rounds or even entire wars (pertaining to how well I or my team did), rather I recall who was cool, who was a douche bag, and whether or not we had fun.

For instance, at the LCM summer tune up, I got out almost every single round, but I was happy for it because I was exhausted from running and charging all throughout the round, resulting in me getting shot more, and getting out. And that was one of the funnest wars I can think of. Run-on sentences and made up words be damned, it was a great time.

#112152 Armageddon 2007 Planning Thread

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 09:10 AM in Nerf Wars

Alright fellas, odds are none of you know me, but I'm going to make an (extremely half-assed) effort to get to this war. My plan consists of the following:
  • Download Southwest's DING
  • Keep it on for the next 17 days and hopefully get a plane ticket for 5 cents
  • Steal Underpants
  • ?
  • Profit
If all goes according to plan, especially Phase II, I'll be there.

Edit: I just went on an emotional rollercoaster, being elated that we had a free party plane, and crestfallen when it fell through (which was obviously going to happen). So after browsing to the topic, is Ontario the best airport, assuming my plan works?

#112147 Summer Pine Banks Games

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 08:45 AM in Nerf Wars

Every fucking war that I could attend interupted by something....

So don't post in this thread. If you can't come, don't bother wasting our time. I want this topic as lean and mean as we can get it so we can come up with a good head count quickly.

I don't want to deal with 10+ pages of posts from people from all over who are a long shot. I want to know who really has a chance at coming and is serious.

#112145 A Really Fucking Old Nerf Gun

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 08:36 AM in General Nerf

Don't listen to the haters. Me and Howard dominated an entire war once using ballguns, pissing every single person off in the process.

In conclusion: Guns don't kill people, ball guns kill people.

#112144 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 20 June 2007 - 07:10 AM in General Nerf

And I think most of the LCM would agree that if this shit gets pulled at Apoc, you won't be allowed to attend next year.

By the way, Leroy Jenkins video, I don't need to say more.

Jeez, I wouldn't want this to stop Evil from coming to our own war in the future.

And this would certainly get in the middle of the game and gay it up. Kids would need to tally their kills and deaths up at the end of EVERY round, or else how could you keep track? We already have enough distractions between rounds, what with Roy Rogers and all. Then, when the inevitable arguments break out, things would just get worse.

This would ruin nerf.

Edit: I see Paul beat me to it in the race of people at work trying to post.

#111997 Apoc 2007 (nj)

Posted by Mantis on 19 June 2007 - 01:25 PM in Nerf Wars

For those who have never been to Apoc, its a blast. The rounds start off with bikini-clad women shouting go, they end with people crying, and someone is touched inapproriately every time. Sadly, there's gonna be too many of you whipper snappers running around for the Creek, so Matt decided on Deal. The bigger the better, the Huskaroo sweater, is what I always say.

Who knows, I might even spring for a gun of my own between now and then.

I look forward to this war and the strict training schedule that always accompanies it.

#111991 Sabermetrics In Nerf

Posted by Mantis on 19 June 2007 - 01:04 PM in General Nerf

Evil:

Kills Average [KA] (per round): 5.44
Hits Average [HA] (per round): 2.00
Kills/Hits Differential [KHD]: 2.72 (kills for every hit taken).
Win Percentage [W%]: 66(%)

I also noticed that at first (when I was sucking) it was hard to get used to keeping some kind of score, since for so many years we haven't kept personal scores. It got easier as the day went on though (after I stopped sucking) and if more people want to try this experiment at the next event I would be all for it. These aren't perfect statistics (I'll record mine when they make me truly look like a vet) but they are accurate enough that I think they give us an idea of what goes on (excluding the after-war rave).

I did a little editing for Matt.
Dinner is on me this week still sweet-cheeks ;)

But as Ty Webb said in Caddy Shack, "I don't really keep score."

#111965 Deal War (new Jersey)

Posted by Mantis on 19 June 2007 - 07:46 AM in Nerf Wars

As long as no one tries to use an Ocean County map to find the meeting place, we'll be fine.

ZING!

I vote for the rallying spot to be a place with BOTH lap dances and a buffet. And as for these new games types, I can only hope that my dreams of playing naked CTF come to fruition.

#111873 Deal War (new Jersey)

Posted by Mantis on 18 June 2007 - 02:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Weekends off = me kicking ass at this war.

God bless the county.

#111829 Dcno - Summer '07

Posted by Mantis on 18 June 2007 - 10:52 AM in Nerf Wars

I really liked the part where you pick up the blue barricade and start using it as a shield...I'm at work so no sound for me on the video, but I can only hope it was filled with people yelling at you for being cheap in that part ;)

I did enjoy Hersh's runway-style walk in one part too.

#111384 Nerf War Etiquette

Posted by Mantis on 15 June 2007 - 07:59 AM in Nerf Wars

As a general rule, any gun hit, except for the Manta ray, for obvious reasons, is a hit. No arguments will save you. Suck it up and start counting. I stated this already, but I guess it needs to be said again.

Sometimes I forget that badger gets the final ruling in all matters pertaining to nerf.

I like the argument that it makes the game flow smoother. But if you can't reason with the person whom you think you shot/ the person who thought he shot you, nerfing has lost a lot. Hell, if someone tells me they really think they got me, I'll take it unless I saw the dart land elsewhere.

#111203 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Mantis on 14 June 2007 - 12:21 PM in Modifications

Qui'lan Fett and MithMortaint, I just glanced at this page and your guns are fucking badass. Where did the shotgun come from?

/not a lot to do at work today

#111175 Top 5 All Time Best Movies

Posted by Mantis on 14 June 2007 - 09:03 AM in Off Topic

In order:
1. Medellion
2. Aquaman (beat Spiderman for the highest grossing movie ever)
3. Queens Boulevard
4. Matterhorn
5. Head On

These aren't the most popular movies out, but if you get a chance to see them, do it!

#111173 Nerf War Etiquette

Posted by Mantis on 14 June 2007 - 07:41 AM in Nerf Wars

This is getting ridiculous, as Hersh-ey Pie said. The rules should come from word of mouth. I believe our (the right) rules on gun shots came from the Horsemen. If your (retarded) rules work for your crew, have at it.

#111073 Cawthra Mississauga Nerf Out- Cmno

Posted by Mantis on 13 June 2007 - 03:12 PM in Nerf Wars

The tricks with planning a good war are using spell check and measuring temperature in Fahrenheit.

#110089 Nerf War Etiquette

Posted by Mantis on 08 June 2007 - 03:15 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't know how they do things in New Mexico, or how people who joined the forums some 2,500 people after me do it, but if your gun is around a corner and someone shoots it, they are a dumbass.

Unless their dart went in your barrel, in which case they actually own you (in the literal sense).

#110077 Nerf War Etiquette

Posted by Mantis on 08 June 2007 - 02:52 PM in Nerf Wars

The thing to remember in Nerf wars is: Don't be a douche bag. Badger summed this up pretty well.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but getting hit in the gun needs to be revised. The hit should only count if your gun is blocking the shot from hitting your person. That is to say, if you're shouldering the gun (aiming) and someone standing 90 degrees to your left shoots and hits your gun, it would have completely missed you, thus it shouldn't count. I had to correct a young gun about this at the Tune Up when it happened to him.

And as far as clearing in goes, use the Golden Rule of nerf wars, because I will break your gun in half if you shoot me from 5 feet away with one of those damn brass guns and you led me to believe you're out.

#110018 Dcno - Summer '07

Posted by Mantis on 08 June 2007 - 07:10 AM in Nerf Wars

I like it, we could have multiple angles, leading to the best nerf video ever.

Oh yeah, guys, I'm thinking about getting metal legs before the war. Its a risky operation but it'll be worth it.

#109889 Apocalypse 2007

Posted by Mantis on 07 June 2007 - 02:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey, I wasn't present when we voted. I was rallying for Paul's backyard this year.

#109716 Dcno - Summer '07

Posted by Mantis on 06 June 2007 - 12:46 PM in Nerf Wars

You guys were saying that there are backup places to play, I just wanted to make sure that's true. I'd hate to make this drive and have nowhere to go when we get chased out by the boys in blue.

#109693 Dcno - Summer '07

Posted by Mantis on 06 June 2007 - 08:54 AM in Nerf Wars

Although delicious, pizza leads to people walking for several rounds after lunch. And now that I've been called out for my Roy's comment, I might have to come.

#109580 Dcno - Summer '07

Posted by Mantis on 05 June 2007 - 02:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Honestly, I was kind of a bitch last time about going to the celebrity delly. I only went b/c some asshole said I couldn't. Fixed their ass. However, I wouldn't mind ordering Pizzas from Tally-Ho this time, as it will certainly expedite the nerfing for the day.

You gotta be kidding me, if we've learned anything its that pizza is a no-no. If there's a Roy Roger's within an hour of this place, I'll come.

#107076 Lcm War Today

Posted by Mantis on 22 May 2007 - 03:56 PM in Nerf Wars

You guys are bashing this war like it wasn't one of the best in years. To continue the analogies, its like anal, you gotta try it to make sure it's not your thing, but don't go acting like you didn't enjoy it. :ph34r:

#107074 Deal War (new Jersey)

Posted by Mantis on 22 May 2007 - 03:52 PM in Nerf Wars

:ph34r: Count me in on the 9th I will bring commrads!!!

I think you are now my favorite member of any nerf forum after this post.

#106546 Lcm War Today

Posted by Mantis on 19 May 2007 - 04:53 PM in Nerf Wars

This shit was crazy.

Everyone was saying that things were a little unorganized, and what have you, but that's what makes it fun! Having 30 people running around shooting each other makes for great moments.

Hopefully we can keep it going.

#106121 Lcm Summer Tune-up

Posted by Mantis on 17 May 2007 - 01:34 PM in Nerf Wars

There's something in the rain around here that makes people turn into pussies.

#105644 Deal War (new Jersey)

Posted by Mantis on 15 May 2007 - 11:37 AM in Nerf Wars

I remember Howard saying he went to one of these wars, and he had a blast. If it would keep teams even I'd be able to make either date.

#104899 Lcm Summer Tune-up

Posted by Mantis on 10 May 2007 - 07:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Sunrise is preferable, as it provides the most amount of time to plan an ambush for when the other team arrives.

#103156 Lcm Summer Tune-up

Posted by Mantis on 30 April 2007 - 11:12 AM in Nerf Wars

Batten down the motherfucking hatches, I'm coming to this war.

#101933 Nerf Videos

Posted by Mantis on 07 April 2007 - 11:52 AM in General Nerf

Hey guys,
Does anyone know where old videos would be? I just watched a MA war on youtube which was pretty cool, but I wanna find the older, better ones. It would be fun to show them to my friends, rather than explaining what nerfing is.

Love,
Mantis (didn't feel like looking through old posts)

#101708 Ecno '07

Posted by Mantis on 02 April 2007 - 05:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey guys,

Due to some scheduling changes, I can make the war now. It just depends on how much reading I want to put off that weekend. If I come, it'll probably be with a carload, so count me as a maybe with 3-4.

Hopefully see you guys in a couple of weeks

#101400 Ecno '07

Posted by Mantis on 25 March 2007 - 01:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I would wanna come, but I have stuff going on that day and night, so I'll have to take a rain check on this war.

Keep on keeping on

#101162 Happy Birthday Shindig

Posted by Mantis on 17 March 2007 - 01:52 PM in Off Topic

Paul (the Shindig) is 21 today!

Hooray!

#101161 Baskeball

Posted by Mantis on 17 March 2007 - 01:49 PM in Off Topic

You gotta be kidding me.

Volleyball takes just as much athleticism as basketball, perhaps even more. If you play a 2 v 2 game of volleyball, you will be tensing those legs and darting (diving) for balls every time it comes over the net.