Spoon's Content

There have been 516 items by Spoon (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#28818 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 18 June 2004 - 02:41 PM in Nerf Wars

Final count will be me, Steph, Phil (Steph's brother), Stephanie and most likely Hubbard. CHAPMAN POWER!!!

Pw33ned.

#28248 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 10 June 2004 - 07:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Jordan can't make it either on that day due to orchestra stuff, so thats one less from my group.

#27276 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 30 May 2004 - 07:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Damn we're already in the early 20's conservatively. This war is going to rule.

#27253 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 30 May 2004 - 01:42 AM in Nerf Wars

I've got me, Steph, Stephanie, Hubbard, Matt Reynolds, possibly one other but I doubt it. Matt and Jason are back home for the summer unfortunately. So figure 5 including me.

#27201 Spoon

Posted by Spoon on 28 May 2004 - 11:24 PM in Off Topic

OMG Ray, that pic is like the funniest thing I've ever seen!

Thanks a lot guys, it's been a boring birthday, which is fine. I'm very busy these days, working, doing summer school (calculus, fun...) and continuing to work on my film which is shooting in mid-August. I'll be posting some pics from the set once we have them, but it's going to be an awesome film and a pretty large production (for a short at least)!

Next semester I will be completing all the rest of my film classes (though I have some general eds to take Spring semester) and beginning work on my thesis film, as well as a third short film of a smaller scope, and finishing my feature screenplay. So yea, 5 upper-division film classes (and archery, yes!) will keep me quite the busy llama next semester. Oh, and I plan to get an internship (finally) as well. Ugh. As for this summer though, it consists of work, film stuff and summer school until July, then crazy pre-production for the film until the shoot mid-august. After that Steph and I will be moving into our apartment in time for school to start again in late August. Phew. Speaking of my lovely Steph by the way, she gets back from England in two weeks and WILL be at Armageddon (along with my OTHER friend Steph, as well as my usual crew). She's in the best shape of her life too, so she's going to be kicking our asses I'm afraid.

Sorry for the life-story shit but I know I don't post much (I DO watch the boards though) these days, I just wanted to give you all an update.

Note to the young and foolish: Don't be a film major. It's hard. Unless you don't do anything, in which case you're just stupid.

#26687 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 21 May 2004 - 07:27 PM in Nerf Wars

ATTENTION HORNY DESPERATE 14 YEAR OLDS:

I'm bringing girls.

That is all.

#26158 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 14 May 2004 - 05:40 AM in Nerf Wars

All you have to do is show up. You know the date, time and location. Be there or be rectangle b10tch!

Vacc: That warms my heart, among other organs.

#24547 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 20 April 2004 - 03:04 AM in Nerf Wars

Three hours before an Armageddon would be a luxury for me...I hate it too but yet I always seem to do it.

I could possibly house someone as well, I have a guest bedroom. The main limiting factor would be how quickly I would grow to hate you. This factor is inversely proportional to the number of people staying with me, and how old they are.

#24546 Rayno Recap

Posted by Spoon on 20 April 2004 - 02:59 AM in Nerf Wars

Oh yea and Ray, you're girlfriend's cute.

Not that that should make you nervous or anything....

#24483 Rayno Recap

Posted by Spoon on 18 April 2004 - 09:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Raymond shot me in my pee pee, and I told him that made me feel uncomfortable.

The fact that that was the last hit of the day was....difficult.

Overall though a great war, nice to get one in before Armageddon in June.

#24482 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 18 April 2004 - 09:20 PM in Nerf Wars

Ok well first off, as far as permission goes, I (and most of the other people who have flown out) are old enough to not need permission. The rest did it with open, honest communication, having your parents talk to the people on the other side, and fundraising.

As far as luggage, you NEVER bring guns in you're carry-on, because they'd arrest you. I'd even be nervous to put it in my checked luggage. When I flew to New Jersey, and all the times the Horsemen flew out here, we shipped our guns first. That's the safest way pretty much.

#24385 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 16 April 2004 - 02:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh come on two hours is nothing. I flew 6 hours to Nerf in NJ before.

Assure your dad that unlike the LAST YANO (*cough fuck you guys cough*), there will actually be lots of people at this one. We promise.

#24372 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 16 April 2004 - 01:01 AM in Nerf Wars

Amen!

Now it's time to evangelize guys. We've got a badass new location, the chances of Groove and some LCM boys coming down again and a bunch of good guns relatively easily available.

I KNOW we can get 20 people easily for this war, hell there's going to be probably seven people from my group alone, easy! So lets make it happen guys, let's show everyone how SoCal nerf is DONE.

#24367 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 16 April 2004 - 12:34 AM in Nerf Wars

Yea we'll need darts. I can bring probably 80-100 total and I can take care of guns for my whole crew.

Matt Reynolds is new and goes by Mateo. Kashuba is the hippie looking bandana guy and Jason was the Manta Ray/AT2K guy with the water backpack.

Prepare to be p1mpslapped.

#24365 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 16 April 2004 - 12:05 AM in Nerf Wars

Ray: I am now bringing Matt Kashuba, Jason, and two newcomers, Matt Reynolds and Ivan (my roommate). Both are really cool. So now there's 5 with my group. Chapman Power will pw33n you! Ph33r!

#24313 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 15 April 2004 - 10:39 AM in Nerf Wars

Indeed, my love of 3 team wars is historic.

Now it all boils down to: will Toj's parents REALLY want 20 sweaty nerfers around their property all day? And can we GET 20 people to come down? I bet we can. All I know is that if the war is in Oceanside, I'd better see ALL of the SD crew there, there will be no excuse this time. Jason's even considering driving down from his home, which is EIGHT hours away, to come to Armageddonin June.

#24269 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 14 April 2004 - 08:30 PM in Nerf Wars

OMFG, I'm Pw33N3D by the pics of Chez Toj. I'm all over it like a fly on shit. I'd drive there this weekend if there was a war going on (and if I wasn't already going to Ray's). I mean did you SEE the two level deck and house and shit? I'm 0wned.

#24146 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 13 April 2004 - 11:05 AM in Nerf Wars

If it was on the 12th Steph would be screwed, and since it's the summer Matt and Jason won't be here either, so my crew would consist of my brother, Hubbard and...well...me.

As for August YANOs, I start school again in late August but that doesn't really matter. I'll be moving into my apartment probably in early August but really any weekend at this point (I stress the "at this point") would be ok.

#24092 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 12 April 2004 - 04:19 PM in Nerf Wars

I wouldn't worry, I doubt we could get 40 people again even if we were holding everyone's parents hostage. And good thing too, 42 people did NOT work very well. Honestly I'd like Armageddon to hover around 20 people, that seems to be the largest number that can reliably work.

#24046 Armageddon '04 Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 12 April 2004 - 12:52 AM in Nerf Wars

Steph gets back from England on like June 16 so if you want her to come (which would be good since we'll be losing Matt and Jason since they'll be home for the summer), it'll have to be the last two weekends, most likely the last one.

July.......Well if all goes according to plan I'll be shooting a film in July, ruling out the whole month.

#24045 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 12 April 2004 - 12:48 AM in Nerf Wars

Yea I've got flagging tape and all that crap, no worries.

As for June, yea I agree it would be better to wait. Steph gets back (I believe) like June 16, so if we could do it in late June that would be best since I'll be losing Matt and Jason since they'll be home for the summer.

#23993 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 11 April 2004 - 02:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry guys I just got back from a week in London visiting Steph, and I have the flu. I'll try to be around more from now on seeing as how we're actually PLANNING stuff now!

5/15 is fine for me, and so far 5/8 and 5/22 would be ok also but those weekends may fill up as we get closer to them. I'm cool driving down to Oceanside, I'll ask my people here if they could do a 5/15 war. My guess is that I'd be bringing 2 others.

As for your war this Sunday the 18th Ray, Matt Kashuba said he'd come and I think I can make it. However I wouldn't be able to stay all day, I'd probably have to leave around 3 or 4pm as I'm going to have a shitload of work to do that day. I'll ask if Jason and Jordan (and anybody else) would be able to make it, but don't get your hopes up.

I've got plenty of extra guns but I have almost NO ammo, like 50 darts. I've got supplies to make maybe another 50 darts or so, but if your ammo works in our brass and PETG guns we may need to gank some off of you. Hmm, though I guess with 6 or so people that would be plenty.

So in short, May is open right now but that may change. I can reserve 5/15 for the war though if that's the date it'll happen. As of now I'm 75% sure about next Sunday (18th) with Kashuba at Ray's house.

#23992 Ehem...

Posted by Spoon on 11 April 2004 - 02:20 PM in News

I'm sorry, but after that glorious summer, punctuated so perfectly by the Sphincter Song, everything's kind of been downhill since.

#22579 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 27 March 2004 - 08:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Sunday the 18th is cool for me, I'll check with the rest of my crew.

Castle park is right next to a community center and if there are any other kids on the park at all (sometimes even if there isn't) we get kicked out. That happened a lot at the early LANOs.

#22434 April YANO Planning Thread

Posted by Spoon on 26 March 2004 - 01:25 AM in Nerf Wars

Oy, this could be difficult guys....

I am out of the country the first and second weekends in April. I MAY have some time to scout next week but I leave next Friday so I don't know, I'm awfully busy these days.

I'll ask Matt, Jason, Hubbard and Jordan.

#21293 What!?!?!

Posted by Spoon on 14 March 2004 - 12:22 AM in News

I think we should open up a panel discussion regarding the tensile strength of your wang, Vacc.

And now, for sphincter....

(PS: Only Vacc and Ash will get this, everyone else remain calm)

#20230 My Screen Resolution Is...

Posted by Spoon on 28 February 2004 - 10:51 PM in Site Feedback

I run dual 17" CRTs (one is older and ok, my main is just about the nicest 17" CRT you can buy), both at 1280x1024. Being the film major and all, dual screens is mandatory for me with all the editing and sound design I do. It also enables me to have Outlook, browser, 2 chat clients, winamp and task manager all open at the same time and not overlapping each other at all.

Which pleases me.

#19325 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 19 February 2004 - 04:30 AM in Nerf Wars

1. We've had this policy for at least the last year.

2. You really need to start reading at least the last page before posting, yes eyeglasses are fine.

3. Do come, it will be a jolly-good war.

4. Cheerio!

#19263 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 17 February 2004 - 08:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Sunglasses are fine, that's what we all wear. We don't allow guns that are powerful enough to need more than sunglasses for protection.

#19213 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 17 February 2004 - 01:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd just like to add that this war is going to PW33N.

And for you new guys we're totally serious on the eyewear rule, no eye protection and you will NOT be playing, we've had to turn kids away before and it sucks.

Or, even worse, we'll stick you with the dicky safety goggles and you'll be mercilessly mocked and ridiculed by your peers.

#19089 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 15 February 2004 - 04:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Shortshit is coming for sure, just talked to him.

#19061 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 15 February 2004 - 02:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Well shit.

Phil can't come after all, and Matt has work 10am-3pm so may only make it the last two hours.

Oh wait! Hubbard can come though, thats good.

#19057 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 15 February 2004 - 01:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Alright here's the updated count:

Me, Jordan, Jason, Matt, Phil, and possibly one other person. So 5 for sure, maybe 6.

#19054 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 15 February 2004 - 12:33 AM in Nerf Wars

I dunno I'm starting to agree that Venado is still the best option. The big playground there sucks, but I could play CTF just about all day and be happy, and the Alamo CAN be fun, we just need to devise some new wars for that place.

Other park in Irvine is Castle Park, where some of the old LANOs were held. The place is AWESOME, better than Venado, but problem is that we got kicked off a lot because the community center is right next door. If there aren't many of us, or if the park's not crowded, it'd be ok. However if we're talking 12-14+ and on a Saturday afternoon, we probably wouldn't last an hour.

Honestly I don't know how much scouting I'll be able to do before the war. I'm 1st Assistant Director on a shoot the next two weekends (I'm taking the day off for the war), and it's hard to get down there on the weekdays. I'll try though.

#18986 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 14 February 2004 - 01:15 AM in Nerf Wars

Dude it's fucking on at your house man, sounds awesome. Let us know if she doesn't feed you your own gonads.

Other than that I don't fucking care WHERE the war is, I just NEED one. I'm all for Bonelli park, we just need to find (and decide on) a relatively deserted area so we don't get kicked out.

#17969 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 02 February 2004 - 09:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Hmm, Saturday the 28th. That's odd, I could have sworn Saturday was the 29th...

#17904 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 02 February 2004 - 04:17 AM in Nerf Wars

If you had read the thread, you would know that it is happening defintately Saturday Feb 29th and most likely at Bonelli Park.

#16938 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 23 January 2004 - 02:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Definately 6 would be all day, not sure about #7. Steve is a pussy. A school would be sweet.

#16925 Feb YANO (was Hey, Assholes)

Posted by Spoon on 23 January 2004 - 01:19 AM in Nerf Wars

Wait a sec, did I miss something? Since when is the entire SD crew out?

WTF is wrong with all of you?

I can bring to the war, including me, 7 people I think.

#16725 Nerf Rad Teams

Posted by Spoon on 20 January 2004 - 05:04 AM in General Nerf

Ok, RAD teams went something like this.....

The whole thing is based on aggression, going at the enemy FAST, NOT stopping, just charging in and using fear tactics to your advantage. Avoiding stand-offs and stalemates at all costs. Also, you use long range single shot guns to "hold" the enemy. Basically if a guy is up against another guy with a more powerful gun, the first guy will NOT usually advance on the loser. This way you can use two or three long range shooters to "trap" an enemy in place while the assault people with multi-shot guns or autos charge in fast and hard without stopping. Now the enemy is trapped because they don't want to risk charging the losers and getting picked off, but the assault force is NOT stopping and when someone charges at you screaming people will USUALLY miss, even if it's an easy shot. That's where the fear tactics come in. If you show any hint of hesitation then it won't work and it'll just turn into a stand off.

There were more complicated sets of tactics that I came up with but they all worked off of this double-sided concept of extreme aggression and using long range shooters to "hold" the enemy (kind of like in Ghostbusters) while assault forces stormed in for the kill.

What I'd call "RAD" style tactics are rarely employed in nerf wars, but whenever I've used them in conjunction with a couple other people they've worked really well.