jwasko's Content

There have been 896 items by jwasko (Search limited from 04-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#127707 Where To Buy Modding Materials

Posted by jwasko on 27 October 2007 - 05:54 PM in Modifications

Okay, maybe it's just that Loweses and Home Depots (especially Home Depots) in SW Pennsylvania are horrible and/or have idiots working there, but:

-I can only find Sch. 80 PVC (in particular, threaded "nipples") in one, out-of-the-way Lowes that's quite far from me.

-I've never seen a check valve in stores, or for that matter a decent sprinkler section; after much searching, I finally found out where to find the solenoid valves from a guy who deals plumbing parts to Lowes.

-I've never found a single compression spring in a Home Depot, and I've asked repeatedly.

Anyone have any tips for finding any of the above in a Home Depot or Lowes (there aren't any ACEs around me) that I don't only get to once every couple of months?

Thanks in advance.

#127607 Do You Think We Kind Of Have An Anarchy?

Posted by jwasko on 26 October 2007 - 09:47 PM in General Nerf

Well, Precisionnerfer, it's kind of like this: If someone insulted your close friend/loved one right in front of you, would you just walk away, or would you punch the offender in the face? Now, maybe Angel isn't a close friend, but we do have a lot to thank him for, including his mods and FBR sales.

Unfortunately, we can't punch the guy in the face. However, moderators can ban him until 203X, and the rest of us can insult him.

Or maybe we're all just really angry people. Yeah, one of those two.

...mrteldon, you are a cockeating douche bag with a gaping mangina, and I would like to see your pathetic shitty attempt at creating a mod better than any of angel's.

I laughed at "gaping mangina." :rolleyes:

#127603 Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Posted by jwasko on 26 October 2007 - 09:32 PM in Off Topic

Well being one of the first forums I joined, I didnt realy have a catchy name, so I just have my name
C. Capogreca. :rolleyes:

Same here, man. We're so unimaginative...

Oh, and Oro?: Rurouni Kenshin was one of the first animes I watched. It's a great show; too bad the DVD sets are always so expensive.

#127524 Do You Think We Kind Of Have An Anarchy?

Posted by jwasko on 26 October 2007 - 11:37 AM in General Nerf

Anarchy? No I'm pretty sure this forum is an Oligarchy. Or at it's worst a Despotism with some carefully chosen hand-puppets.

I was going to correct him on this, too...then I decided it wasn't worth it. But since you guys are doing it, and I'm bored right now:

To Mrtreldon1:

This site is anything but an anarchy. The dictionary says that anarchy is "lack of authority; disorder and confusion; the absence of any purpose or standard." I'd say that, aside from noob threads like this one, NH is quite the opposite of "absence of purpose," and the standards that our members our held to are quite strict (see: why idiots like you are banned). In addition, you yourself described this site more as being an authoritarian state than an anarchy.

And you know what? It is an authoritarian state. Yeah, Angel, Groove, Piney, and OMC can be pretty rough. But they're the elite for one reason or another, and that gives them the right. CXWQ may act like he owns the place, but that's because he (surprise!) actually does.

And for the record, the Bill of Rights protects individuals from the government, not other individuals.

So this is me, not being affected by your first amendment rights: Shut the fuck up and do something with your life.

And no, insulting others doesn't count.

#127479 New Nerf Blaster From Hasbro

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 11:31 PM in News

jwasko et al. - In the event that the picture OMC has reflects the actual unit, it is obviously not to scale, and your use of the actual LS clip to establish scale doesn't much matter since your initial numbers were flawed. The clip, as shown, is in fact 19.4 mm, not 14.5, and the "slide" is 23.99 mm, not 17. Not that it much matters, as OMC said, it is pure speculation.

Although why would we multiply by 17 and then divide by 14.5? Why not just multiply by 1.1724? :P Only kidding, doesn't matter.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "to scale." I mean, it's a picture, right? So, even though it's not actual size, all of the lengths should be some fraction of the real lengths. Unless I'm completely missing something, here...

As to our differing measurements, it's probably a difference in monitor size/resolution/ some-other-computer-thing-I-know-nothing-about. "Proof:" If you divide 23.99 by 19.4, you get 1.24, which is quite close to 1.17. I blame the difference in ratios on errors in measurement...or something. In any case, the difference overall would only be an added 0.22" in the length of the slide motion. And that's only good, right?

So, satisfied, Mr. Perfection? (just kidding)

And sorry, OMC, for bringing this up. I just thought that it would give us some perspective on the size of the thing. I didn't expect 3 people to post near-simultaneously with the same info.

#127391 New Nerf Blaster From Hasbro

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 07:10 PM in News

Warning: Math Content!

Maybe this was kind of obvious, but...

Posted Image

I first measured the length (on the picture) that the slide looks like it can move. On my monitor, that turned out to be 17mm.

Since we know that the magazine pictured is the same as the LS mags, I then measured the width of the magazine in the picture: 14.5mm

From that alone, we can see that the length of the plunger draw and that of the LS mag are fairly close. To be more exact, however, we can use the relationship:

Length of slide movement (pic)/length of mag (pic) = length of slide movement (real life)/length of mag (real life)

Unfortunately, I don't know of any LS mags within 45 minutes of me (besides those in stores, of course). So, I can't give you the answer.

However, if someone would kindly measure the length of their LS mag (in inches or millimeters, doesn't matter) then multiply by 17 and divide by 14.5, we'll know the length of the plunger chamber.

Of course, that tells us nothing about the radius of the plunger chamber, but at least it's something.

Edit: Furthermore, to find total length, its the mag length times 122 and divided by 14.5.
Finally, the length of just the pistol (as far as I can tell) is the mag length times 44.5 and divided by 14.5.

#127371 Nothing Ever Works For Me

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 05:49 PM in Modifications

What ever you do, don't use 1/2" copper, my cousin and I found this out the hard way. As for the brass, you can get it in hobby shops. I think the standard size is 17/32", but it all really depends on your foam. My reccommendation is to take a dart with you and try different sizes out.

What Penguin said is basically correct, but I just wanted to add a few things. Mainly, it's about what a "good" fit is.

For your LBB, you want your dart to be easy to get in the barrel, but not so loose that it falls out. The correct brass size will probably 17/32" (if your darts a little small), 9/16" (if they're medium-sized), or 19/32" (if your darts are a little big). Then again, you may need something even bigger/smaller.

On the other hand, for a springer like the NF, you want a tighter barrel. So, use one brass size smaller than you use for your LBB. Or, you could even use a telescoping brass barrel (search for it).

Or, you could just use CPVC and get alright ranges. Maybe not the best ranges ever, but not bad, either. You may need to stretch your foam a little bit, though, especially for use in the LBB.

Oh, and by the way, if your make stefans from foam backer rod (FBR), be sure to get the 1/2" FBR.

#127364 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 05:33 PM in Modifications

The screw is just to hold the Pump head like a NF (I think...)

That's definitely not the answer. The OP release valve is not in the pump like most Nerf blasters; rather it is on the end of the trigger cylinder. See Bag's first post, the 7th and 8th pictures down. And by the way, that 8th picture shows the screw I'm talking about, too. Thanks for trying though.

Anyone else have an answer to any of my questions?

#127348 Nothing Ever Works For Me

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 04:25 PM in Modifications

For one thing, Precisionnerfer's 100' Nitefinder is an irregularity or a falsehood (Badger hasn't gotten back to us on that yet).

60 to 70 feet is more realistic for a Nitefinder, and that's with a spring and barrel replacement. For springs, check out your local hardware store, or McMaster (online store). People say the ACE hardware #49 or Home Depot's Handyman spring are good.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find a Handyman and there's no ACE around me. So, I went to Busy Beaver. Don't know how widespread those are, though...

As for the Mav, check out the placement of you plunger chamber. Some people place them wrong and thus worsen the seal between it and the turret.

Try modifying your darts for the LBB (in other words, make stefans), so that they can be pushed to the back of the barrel. That should improve range a little, at least. A new barrel and/or better fitting foam might help, too.

#127342 The El Snapo V.2

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 04:09 PM in Homemades

Freaking awesome, man. Nice work.

Is that a sponge between the barrel and the plunger chamber? Is it to soften the blow of the plunger, or perhaps to seal the barrel to the plunger chamber?

#127340 New Nerf Blaster From Hasbro

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 03:59 PM in News

As far as the length of the cocking indicator (whether it is the actual plunger rod or not), I noticed that there is a whole in the stock; this leads me to believe that the arm is at least that long.

As far as how long that distance is, it's you guys' best guess.

#127306 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by jwasko on 25 October 2007 - 12:11 PM in Modifications

I've noticed that, if I only fire one shot, I can refill that tank without having to fire the other two shots. Note that this is with the overpressure release valve not plugged.

Now, my question is: Can this still be done if the overpressure (OP) release valve is plugged?

A follow-up question, if plugging the OP release valve does take away that feature, is: How much of a range increase did you get by plugging the OP release valve?

Finally, anyone know what the screw right next to the OP release valve is for?

Thanks in advance for any answers. It's just that I'm not sure whether I want to be able to refill a single air tank, or if I want to get better ranges. Then again, I might be able to get both (although I sort of doubt it...).

#127271 New Nerf Blaster From Hasbro

Posted by jwasko on 24 October 2007 - 11:05 PM in News

My Reasons to Buy:

-Figure out how it works.
-Try to integrate a Big Blast (best idea ever, Dark Shrimp!).
-Make a system to attach random crap instead of the wannabe-laser (first up: SMDTG).
-It's a ready-made pistol-with-a-box-magazine.

My Reasons Not to Buy:

-Um...I could spend the money on something else? I don't know, since when does the suckiness of a blaster stop us from making it into something cool? Maybe not practical/efficient, and completely devoid from the original features/gimmicks, but cool nonetheless...

Here's another question: What's that orange thing at the bottom of the front of the pistol? It's inline with the wannabe-laser, but it looks like orange stock-barrel-material plastic. Plus, it looks rounded. It could be a dart holder, but what's the point in that, what with it having a magazine?

#127227 Happy Birthday Groove

Posted by jwasko on 24 October 2007 - 08:58 PM in Off Topic

Happy Birthday, and thanks for helping to make such a great place.

#127224 New Nerf Blaster From Hasbro

Posted by jwasko on 24 October 2007 - 08:51 PM in News

First, a question to clarify: OMC, am I correct that the "disassembled" picture is just the "assembled" picture, but modified?

If so, are you sure that the primary portion of the blaster does not have a barrel sticking out of it? The detachable barrel could be a sleeve with a few inches of barrel extension, rather than just being a barrel extension.

And for that matter, are we sure that there is a barrel besides the detachable one?

#127094 Big Snap Has Balls!

Posted by jwasko on 23 October 2007 - 09:40 PM in Homemades

After I modded my ERTL pump action shotgun, I stuck the stock barrel (which, mind you was an in-line clip/ball barrel) on my titan.

Unfortunately, I had already ripped out the spring and follower that helped seal the balls against the ring at the muzzle.

I didn't measure the range, but it wasn't very good. On the other hand, upon closer examination this past weekend, the barrel/clip wasn't air tight...maybe that had something to do with the horrible ranges.

I'm not sure how much this contributed to the discussion...Just some information for you all to think about, I suppose. Good fortune in your experiments, Carbon.

#127002 Arr!

Posted by jwasko on 22 October 2007 - 10:58 PM in Homemades

Before everyone starts asking stupid questions about tube magazines and/or "shotgun"-type actions, I suggest taking a look through this thread here.

Yeah...I think my brain can't comprehend CAD (or whatever those images are).

Good luck with that action and magazine, CS.

Remember: timing is key! Also, (although you may have addressed this already) you have to keep the darts from coming out until you want them to come out; it's not like you're just stripping them off of a box magazine.

EDIT: I believe Prometheus said the same thing as I did in my last sentence.
EDIT 2: Maybe he didn't...I need sleep.

#126951 Arr!

Posted by jwasko on 22 October 2007 - 04:45 PM in Homemades

I don't particularly understand this distrust of gravity clips. Magazines and springs are only a recent development and everything prior to those involved gravity feed from a deodorant clip, cassette tape clip, or hopper.
I want to be able to reload with just my left hand, something not easy to do if you have to hold a follower down while loading darts.

Keep in mind that this gun does not have a breech made from brass or plastic tube. The darts are simply ram-loaded into the back of the barrel, and the ram then seals the end of the barrel.

It's not like the gravity clip is 12 inches tall. To fit 6 rounds it only has to be 3 inches tall. The sights will be on the sliding door on the top of the clip.

Well, I wasn't really around in those classical days of pure gravity feeding. I guess these modern times have made me greedy.

If I remember correctly, there are (real) bolt-action rifles whose fixed, internal box magazines can be loaded by (basically) just pushing the cartridges in – once the bolt is open, of course. It seems to me that , if you are able to build a system similar to such bolt-action rifles, you should be able to pretty much just push darts straight down into the internal box magazine any time the breech is open. And I don't think that it would be too difficult to reproduce, really, considering the style of your breech. If you need, I might be able to get some pictures...when I visit home in 2 weeks. I hate being living at college: I can’t get anything Nerf-related done here except think.

Of course, the ability to create something like the above system is dependent upon whether or not your bolt stays open (or, can be kept open) for a significant length of time. Does it? If not, then I think the above is pretty much impossible.

If you want to stick with the gravity clip but require a follower, you could simply have the follower lock in the “loading position.” The process would be something like:

1. Push follower up and then slightly forward (to lock at top)
2. Load darts through use of a side port.
3. Pull follower back slightly to allow it to drop onto the darts.

As far as aiming, I had originally not noticed how tall this thing is (when compared to the level of the barrel) even without a magazine/clip on top. In my mind, I was picturing an MP5 with several inches of magazine sticking up off the top. My mistake.

By the way, that breech is amazingly simple yet brilliantly unique. It was a big "duh" moment for me. I mean, seriously: It's really just a typical (real) bolt action...only it's moved forward and back by air pressure. Is this how the ABP5k's breech worked, too? I'm afraid I never fully understood its inner workings...

#126931 Arr!

Posted by jwasko on 22 October 2007 - 09:49 AM in Homemades

Personally, I just don't trust gravity clips. If you want to do away with the LS-style box magazine, however, perhaps you could try an internal box magazine (see: M1903 Springfield, Mosin-Nagant). Similar, but slightly different, would be Boltsniper's NTS (aka the BS-9).

And, of course, there's no reason you couldn't make those feed from the top...but then, how would you aim?

Of course, it's up to you. In any case, hope this one doesn't take as long as the last!

#126920 Stefans Arent Good

Posted by jwasko on 21 October 2007 - 11:07 PM in General Nerf

It could also be that your stefans are too tight in your barrel. If that's the case, try stretching them a little.

#126892 Your Day Of Nerfing

Posted by jwasko on 21 October 2007 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Last night I purchased and a set of SMDTGs and took out the ARs. Unfortunately, I don't have any appropriate barrel materials. I think I might not plug the overpressure release valve, because that way if I shoot one dart I can just repump it without having to fire the other two first.

I also put a rather odd breech on my Titan. In addition to not having to ram a dart or use a coupler, I think it may have reduced the power enough to be war-legal (though I haven't actually shot myself pointblank with it yet). I think I may put one or both of my SMDTGs on it, too.

#126887 Abp5k

Posted by jwasko on 21 October 2007 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

Note: I didn't want to post off-topic in the DCNO thread. So, I quoted from there but am posting here.

- 4500/88 paintball tank
- CenterFlag 201 adjustable on-tank regulator
- Clippard MAR-1P adjustable regulator

That really sucks as far as money spent.

- ABP5K w/ two longshot magazines
- BOB II
- Two Modified Nitefinders
- 500 of my style of stefans

That really sucks as far as time spent developing/building/dartsmithing.

Lesson I learned: Always take your Nerf guns in a carry-on, if at all possible.

I wish you luck in getting all that back, CS.

#126638 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by jwasko on 19 October 2007 - 03:02 PM in Modifications

Now, I know we are not supposed to use AIM-type abbreviations and such, but I must say that when I saw that picture of that gun pointing in my general direction, I only had one thought:

"O.M.F.G"

After I got over my initial shock, I realized where you had placed the SMDTGs. I had thought that you would attach them to the original barrel, thus allowing you to pump 6, 80' shots around a corner. A practical use? Maybe not.

But, hey, it would have been kinda cool.

#126564 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by jwasko on 18 October 2007 - 05:40 PM in Modifications

Red plus white (or silver...?) plus black:

A trifecta of colors that leads to pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

Great job, Longbow.

#126437 Abp5k

Posted by jwasko on 16 October 2007 - 10:26 PM in Homemades

Note:

Red Dot Scope does not equal Laser Sight/Pointer

Also note:

That said, it can still be hard to see the red dot in a red dot scope if it's sunny and the light is coming in at the wrong angle.

Final Note:

I prefer good, old fashioned, open iron sights to anything else, but am forced to admit that a red dot (with no magnification) is a fairly close second. But hey, that's just me.

Consider yourselves informed, and have a nice day. :)

#126372 Fall Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 16 October 2007 - 11:26 AM in Nerf Wars

Either you're small, CS, or that thing is bigger than I anticipated...bigger than an MP5, if I remember correctly. Of course, I realize that with the materials you're using it's hard to build small yet strong parts.

Anyway, great job. I wish you luck in the swift completion/perfection of this project.

Edit: Whoops, thought this was the ABP5k thread...too many tabs open, I suppose. Sorry about that.

#126337 Rfr---shotgun?

Posted by jwasko on 15 October 2007 - 08:49 PM in Modifications

Since the RFR uses shells, this is not possible (or at least without heavy modification).

Wait...why would it need heavy modification? All you would have to do is load multiple short darts into each shell, or you could split a single dart into 4 quarters of one like this:

Posted Image
Note: I didn't come up with this idea.

If you're worried about the wide section of the shells (the back end, that is), I'm pretty sure the shells can be brassed, if not CPVCed or PETGed.

Or am I completely wrong about this?

#126255 Stock Nerf Darts Vs Stock Buzzbee Darts

Posted by jwasko on 14 October 2007 - 10:50 PM in Modifications

I believe that (some) indoor nerfers prefer stock darts, as they tend to be less likely to break things and hurt less at the (potentially) extremely close ranges that the indoor setting tends to force upon nerfers.

...Yeah, I was was just going to post "For indoor wars," but those who post 3-word posts tend to get flamed.

*shrugs*

#126231 Some Current Deals I Found.

Posted by jwasko on 14 October 2007 - 08:24 PM in General Nerf

I, too, found a Titan for $10 at Target a while back. It worked fine (by itself, anyway...don't have a Hornet to check it with).

Guess you were just unlucky, Grenada.

#125897 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 11 October 2007 - 10:58 PM in Homemades

Props for your design, jwasko.

Thanks, but it's not really mine...it's some-guy-who-works (or worked)-at-Remington's. You are welcome, however, for bringing the design to light.

Well, I've made a bit of a discovery. Surprise of surprises...not all real-life shot guns utilize gears in the operation of the carrier (if, indeed, any do). Case in point: The ever-popular Remington 870.

Here's a diagram of how the action works, with a focus on what causes the carrier to move:

Posted Image

Here's a diagram detailing what I think causes the carrier to act the way it does. Hint: it's the placement of an extension spring, which in this picture is represented by an orange line.

Posted Image

Note that the carrier is free to be pushed up at any time; it is not locked down or other wise forced into the flat position by the bolt. The bolt just nudges it enouugh so that a spring can then pull it the rest of the way down. Of course, you can still push the carrier up to load: you just need to stretch the spring a little.

A third and final diagram details what keeps the shells from coming out at certain times, and only lets out one (and only one) at other times.

Posted Image

I'm particularly proud of how that last one turned out. I'm getting pretty good at this, if I say so myself. :D

Oh, and by the way, the "shell catches" in that last pic aren't really squared off like I have them drawn. They're rounded on the rear side so that you can put shells in even when they're closed, but shells won't slip out until the catch is open.

PS: The colors on these pics got a little messed up when I converted them to GIF images. Apparently my old PC was made before PNG was invented. <_<

#125688 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 10 October 2007 - 09:58 AM in Homemades

Yes, I understand your feelings about the bottom-loading.

But, I just want to make sure that you got what I said: I'm pretty sure that, outside of the gear-driven method used in real shotguns, I don't think that any of the ideas in this thread would work as far as being able to load from the bottom of the shotgun...especially when the bolt is closed.

#125673 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 09 October 2007 - 10:42 PM in Homemades

I get it now. I thought you maybe you were talking about diagonal in the opposite plane, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Anyway, no paint diagram needed (for me, at least).

Yeah, you're right about the folding...keep it simple, Jwasko, keep it simple...

As to CPVC to brass, I don't foresee any problem; it should be similar to going from 17/32" brass to 9/16" brass, with the change in material not having any detrimental effect. Like you said, it's only a transfer from a rougher to a smoother material. I don't know that it will actually speed up, though. Well, actually the dart is accelerating the whole time the air (and, by extension, the plunger) is pushing it.

One word of caution, however: I left some stefans in (un-bored out) CPVC for some time. Now, they fit perfectly in that CPVC but are loose in 9/16" brass, instead of perfect in 9/16" brass like they had been. Of course, that was for quite some time, but still...

Finally, I just realized a bit of a problem. Okay, it's actually a major one if you want to load from the bottom while the bolt is closed. In the Winchester-type design that I posted and even (I think) other previous ideas, the carrier will be down and in the way while the bolt is closed.

Now, unfortunately, I can't really remember how a pump-action shotgun works as far as when you can load. Isn't the little door over the loading "gate" also the shell carrier? I think it can move up and down when ever the bolt is closed, thus allowing access to the magazine tube. With the Winchester design and (I think) even those carrier-on-a-ramp type designs (see Ronster's post, page 18), you can't do that.

Of course, you could (maybe, I'm not sure) still load when the bolt is open.

But, if I'm correct that this is a problem, I may have a solution. But it's going to take too long to draw and explain to do it tonight. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow morning, depending on when I get up (hooray for cancelled classes!).

Now, I'm going to try to force myself to log off the Haven and sleep, or do homework.

...Must...have...willpower...

#125667 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 09 October 2007 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

Lever-action, tube-fed shotgun right here. Sure, they're not common, but they exist.

Note: .410 is the smallest common size of shotgun shell.

Ah, yes, I see, that bolt carrier.

Also, that triangular thing that I put in there was mostly just a quick solution; your idea sounds good. In fact, maybe there's a way to get that steel rod to fold up on the backward stroke of the bolt then come down going forward. The main problem would be getting it to push the carrier down rather than just folding back up, if you know what I'm saying.

I'm still not completely sure about which way is "diagonal," but it's fine. You can tell better than me how the spacing will work out. And (in this case, anyway) as long as you know what you mean, that's good enough.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go retype two very long emails because my email account signed out before I could send them.

#125657 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 09 October 2007 - 09:03 PM in Homemades

Well I'm glad that you at least looked at that thing...I was getting kind of aggravated that I spent so long on it without it being used. But, it was, so it's cool.

The loading port...forgot about that...

I'm not sure what "diagonally" means, but, I suppose it could work.

Or you could find some other way of springing it up Some sort of band could work, but is liable to break (which would be bad in a war). By the way, the spring in the Winchester that I saw in the exploded view was basically a torsion spring (in function, especially), but really was just a V-shaped, springy piece of metal.

Now, I don't want to make you change your whole design, but:

On most (if not all) lever-action, tube-magazine firearms (including shotguns), the loading port is on the side rather than the bottom. This may solve the problem of the loading port-carrier conflict, but then again it could bring a up a host of new problems (I can't think of any, but I'm sure someone will find one sooner or later).

The other problem is that the tab on the bolt will have to travel about 4" with the bolt carrier.

I'm not sure what you mean...What's the bolt carrier, exactly? But otherwise...is a couple of inches (give or take) worth it in order to (potentially) complicate things greatly? You'll have to make decisions like this if you want to get the thing done and keep it fairly reliable.

#125379 When You Discovered The Nic....

Posted by jwasko on 07 October 2007 - 08:05 PM in General Nerf

Within the years '05 to '06, I purchased a Mav and an LS (just because they were so cool looking), and they reminded me of all the nerf wars I'd had when I was younger.

Then, around the end of January or beginning of February last year, I was in my college's library doing some preliminary research on Wikipedia for a paper I had to right. I got bored and, thinking about y LS and my Mav, decided to search for "nerf" on Wikipedia. There, it had a brief mention of modifying nerf guns, and (I think) stefans. So, after some searching, I found NH and NHQ.

As a side note...

It seems that the Wikipedia page has since been modified, and currently makes no mention of modifications, etc. For once, my timing was good.

#125015 Armageddon 2001 Video

Posted by jwasko on 04 October 2007 - 01:14 PM in General Nerf

To quote a commenter on an N64 kid Youtube video: "Slow-mo for the win!"

It's cool to be able to clearly see the darts fly in a video; looks like bullet time or something.

...the Rachetblast at 0:08 in particular.

That's my favorite Nerf gun of all time. Too bad mine (which is and shall remain stock) has started shooting 2 darts at a time with a range of about 5 feet. :w00t:

Maybe if I put a new, craft foam seal between the barrels and the air chamber...

#125012 Happy Birthday, Nerfmonkey!

Posted by jwasko on 04 October 2007 - 12:56 PM in Off Topic

Happy Birthday, NerfMonkey

I would have met you at PANO. What a waste of time that day turned out to be...

#125005 Concerning Gun Ranges

Posted by jwasko on 04 October 2007 - 12:22 PM in General Nerf

Here's another question: Do people measure from where they are standing to where the dart lands, or from the tip of the barrel (the muzzle) to where the dart lands?

Obviously, it would be easier to just stand at the beginning of the tape measure, but technically, that would add anywhere from a few inches to (potentially) a few feet, depending on what nerf gun you are testing and how you are holding it.

On the other hand, someone who measures from the muzzle subtracts a bit of distance.

An extreme example: Holding a BBB one-handed at arms length. With my arm length being around 2 feet, plus (estimating from memory here) about another 2 feet composing a cocked BBB with 6-8 inch barrel...All together, it's around abouts 4 feet.

Personally, I have measured all of my own ranges from the muzzle to where the dart lands. but that resulted in what seems to be quite short ranges compared to the norm. I'm sure its mostly my fault for modding badly or using too big/small darts, but I wondered if this was adding to the (really crappy) ranges I got on my BBB. I mean, it barely outranged my modded NF!

#124954 Doomsayer

Posted by jwasko on 03 October 2007 - 10:06 PM in Modifications

Eyes of Fire was created for assassin type scenarios and to see how my skills at modding guns could increase.

(Note: Emphasis mine)

That's what I was trying to get across. The Eyes of Fire required some more creative thinking and greater all around skills (although, this is only based on my viewing of the writeups, not from actually doing them). Don't get me wrong, they're both difficult mods; it's just that one seems much more difficult than the other.

I want to add that, in the past several days of considering the Doomslayer, my estimation of the overall "goodness" of the mod has only gone up. I haven't been able to think of a single thing to do differently (without affecting its practicality in a war, of course). And, if people can't think of anything to add to your mod, that's a sign of a mod that has been done pretty damn well.

So, to state it once more (as if it needed restating): Great job, Angel.

I wish you luck in kicking ass in Hell, although that thing looks like it makes its own luck.

#124842 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by jwasko on 02 October 2007 - 08:43 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Well, it took a lot longer than I wanted it to, but it turned out pretty well.

Again, this is how I think (though I could be wrong) that the Winchester 94 works, and how you could potentially make your shot gun work.

Problems with this system:

1. Several moving parts make it more complex and thus harder to make and more likely to fail than some alternatives (like that ramp/track that Ronster posted)

3. Also, you kind of need cartridges that are taped and/or have a rounded head. I think the FAR had those, by the way.

Although, I'm not sure that none of the other ideas hear need a similar cartridge.

So, instead of a ramp thing, you may be better off using straight, vertical lifter. And no, I am not making another diagram of that (at least, not tonight). Just replace the angling lever with a block that moves up and down (and still locks and releases the same way as in the above diagram) in your mind. The use of a block would also (I think) solve the problem of having to stop the other shells in the mag.