jwasko's Content

There have been 896 items by jwasko (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#355886 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by jwasko on 20 September 2016 - 02:40 PM in Homemades

Having feed issues. I think the best way to resolve them is to make the bolt longer and add a "chamber" that the dart can be pushed into. This chamber will fit the darts really loosely, but will provide a well for it to be pushed into PRIOR to being rammed into the barrel. That way there won't be any opportunity to the foam of the dart to buckle.

I posted some thoughts on a chamber and ram made of brass here a little while back based on some prior experience. Of course other materials that fit closely (or can be made to fit closely if one has access to a lather and such) could be substituted.

Mine was made to be used to feed a three-dart RSCB from a Nerf magazine, but it can be re-configured for something like the Caliburn. The essential parts were a loose-fitting barrel material and a conical-tipped ram. It fed very reliably without the "dart clipping" seen in traditional ("Angel")brass breeches

#356313 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by jwasko on 17 October 2016 - 08:38 PM in Homemades

Looking fantastic, Slug.

I really like the window. It not only helps you set up the barrel and check that the blaster is loaded, but it looks awesome.

By the way: The front (aluminum) tube that houses the barrel/supports the pump is the same tube used for the+Bow Rev3 plunger tube correct? (and is similar in dimension to 1.25" PVC)

#355866 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by jwasko on 20 September 2016 - 10:13 AM in Homemades

Wait a minute.

Are you using (a piece of) a dart to seal the breech?

So simple and so brilliant.

#356450 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by jwasko on 27 October 2016 - 07:26 PM in Homemades

I'm particularly surprised how consistent those numbers are...I'd think there would be at least a few where the dart didn't quite "feed" into the barrel/out of the chamber smoothly.

Out of curiosity, have you chrono'd one of your +bow rev3s or the durendal?

#142191 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by jwasko on 23 February 2008 - 01:24 PM in Modifications

Try another brand/hardware store...or, even the same hardware store where you got the stuff you have. PVC isn't all exactly the same.

For instance, I have some Sch. 40 PVC that I can't fit 19/32" brass in. And, I found a stick of beige CPVC that has a slightly larger inner diameter so that it isn't so tight on my darts.

Wish I could remember where I got that CPVC...

#135416 +bow

Posted by jwasko on 09 January 2008 - 09:10 PM in Homemades

Firstly, since I haven't said this yet: nice job, CS.

Secondly, a small contribution:

Observing some of your pictures just now, I saw that (like the Crossbow) there is a great place above the plunger chamber to put stuff. I don't know how much you have studied other's Crossbows, but it is fairly common to integrate an AT2(or 3)k, or an SM1500 (maybe an SM3000, too?). When doing this, some people have placed the pump where the Crossbow's barrel originally was (atop the plunger chamber), and the airtank/barrel below the plunger chamber; others do it the opposite way.

So, what I'm trying to say is: a second bracket-attachment point above the plunger chamber would be a great addition and, probably, pretty easy to add to the design.

#135534 +bow

Posted by jwasko on 10 January 2008 - 07:37 PM in Homemades

This may be a dumb/weird question, but: how did you get those spacer plates on the turret to be so...round?

Did you use a special tool, or are you just that awesome?

#156938 Summer Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 25 May 2008 - 07:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Wasko of SCN checking in.

Hi: Meeting and playing with Ompa, Groove, OMC, Ryan, Slug, Badger, NM, and more.
Hi: Sneaking up on Ryan McNumbers and Groove
Low: Not being able to hit anything outside of 15 feet or so.
Hi: Getting bored of a standoff and rushing suicidally, only to have about 10 members of the other team chase me.
Low: Seeing that my team wasn't coming up the hill to take advantage of the fact that everyone was chasing me.
Hi: Being fairly well aware of what was going on around me throughout the day, except for a few exceptions.
Low: Abandoning Badger in the first round of Gunslinger Heaven after I thought he got taken out.
Hi: Subsequently hooking up with Slug and then seeing that Badger had made it out alive, before going 3v3 against Groove and some others.
Hi: Seeing that SCN did pretty well (or, even very well in some cases).

I'm definitely sore (especially after touring Washington today), but it was a ton of fun and I look forward to attending more wars with you guys.

#157469 Summer Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 30 May 2008 - 02:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Just when I was getting over my fear of being outside...

Seriously, though, hope everyone gets better soon or isn't infected. Fortunately for me, it just so happens that I got Azithromycin on Wednesday for a sinus infection (been sick since the Tuesday before the war), so that should help things if I did get infected. Still, I'll be sure to do a full-body check when I get home from work today.

Thanks for the heads up, Groove. It never even occured to me that something like this would happen in the back yard of an elementary school.

#156618 Summer Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 22 May 2008 - 12:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Groove, you have been PM'd.

#165135 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by jwasko on 29 July 2008 - 12:00 PM in Modifications

How good is the seal between the plunger chamber and the belt links, really? I mean, sure, it comes forward, but is it a really tight tolerance? Or is there some sort of rubber/foam gasket?

If not, then perhaps it would be a good idea to add a gasket.

#129655 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by jwasko on 13 November 2007 - 10:18 PM in Modifications

If you want to separate the plunger tube from the bolt sled, you can't do it through anything short of sawing the two apart near the silver pin towards the bolt face.

Sorry, SHA, but I have to call that to be completely wrong. I was able to take a (very small) flat-head screwdriver and just push the pin out.

So, yeah, try to push the pin out...unless Hasbro started gluing the pin in or something stupid.

No disrespect meant, SHA.

#145129 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by jwasko on 14 March 2008 - 07:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I hope you guys don't mind me stopping in, but...

Also, does OMC's petg fit in 1/2" cpvc couplers?

In my experience, OMC's medium walled PETG (which should be same OD as thick walled, too) is loose in a CPVC coupler. Some electrical tape wrapped around the end of the PETG fixes that problem, though.

PS: Love your work, Carrtoon!

*wanders back to PA*

#172397 Fall Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 25 August 2008 - 07:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Well, since no one else from Steel City posted (and yet you were nice enough to mention us, Groove), I'll go ahead and say that I can't attend any long-distance wars during the fall and spring semesters. Plus, I currently do not have the gas money for such a long trip.

And, although I really can't speak for them, I would say that the rest of SCN is likely to be in a similar situation.

I hope to attend DCNO and/or APOC next summer, though (along with other members of SCN, hopefully)...I should be able to save up enough gas money by then.

And I really wanted one of those NerfSTRONG bracelets, too...

#126887 Abp5k

Posted by jwasko on 21 October 2007 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

Note: I didn't want to post off-topic in the DCNO thread. So, I quoted from there but am posting here.

- 4500/88 paintball tank
- CenterFlag 201 adjustable on-tank regulator
- Clippard MAR-1P adjustable regulator

That really sucks as far as money spent.

- ABP5K w/ two longshot magazines
- BOB II
- Two Modified Nitefinders
- 500 of my style of stefans

That really sucks as far as time spent developing/building/dartsmithing.

Lesson I learned: Always take your Nerf guns in a carry-on, if at all possible.

I wish you luck in getting all that back, CS.

#126437 Abp5k

Posted by jwasko on 16 October 2007 - 10:26 PM in Homemades

Note:

Red Dot Scope does not equal Laser Sight/Pointer

Also note:

That said, it can still be hard to see the red dot in a red dot scope if it's sunny and the light is coming in at the wrong angle.

Final Note:

I prefer good, old fashioned, open iron sights to anything else, but am forced to admit that a red dot (with no magnification) is a fairly close second. But hey, that's just me.

Consider yourselves informed, and have a nice day. :)

#283789 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by jwasko on 23 August 2010 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

My personal recap...only a little late.

The day started out pretty terribly: I missed the first round. Just as two other Pittsburghers and myself were about to cross the street and enter the park, two squad cars pulled up and we were detained due to reports of "suspicious males with paintball guns." As it turned out, it was just 80+ nerds with nerf guns.

After giving away all of our personal info and finally getting into the park ~10minutes later, I called the other group of Western Pennsylvanians and found that the first round had just started.

In the first round that I actually played, Ice was Captain and no one else knew where to go. I'm pretty sure my team lost horribly, but not until the entirety of the other team rushed though a choke point. I would call it e.pic, but there's a filter now so I'll just call it zombie apocalypse-esque.

The best round of the morning (that I played) was the 4-team deathmatch in the grove. It was basically a clan war, with the team I was on consisting of the Sex Dwarves, Badwrench, and a few others. Badwrench was the only one that knew how to play a multi-team game in the grove, and our team kind of fell apart after he got out. But it was still a pretty cool round, at least because the Grove is such an awesome field.

A terrible round of Gunslinger's (for me) and some more rounds in the woods rounded out the morning, and I was pretty down at lunch...I really didn't think it was worth the trip.

But, after lunch, I played exclusively in the Grove and loved every moment of it. I was on Talio's team a few times, and while I/we didn't always win, there were always good times to be had.

Speaking of the Grove: The "bunker" is the best piece of nerfing terrain ever. It can be easy to defend, but it also breaks up that huge field and allows people with midrange blasters (like me) to be competitive at a war dominated with 100'+ shooting hoppered homemades.

Specific highlights of the day:
-I went up one side of the bunker to shoot at someone (never caught his forum name...might have been Death or Wave) on the other side, but missed several shots yet managed to dodge his return fire. Then I slipped and fell onto the the other side of the bunker's mound and ended up using the plants as cover until I finally hit Death/Wave/whoever. Then I got up, rushed Talio, and definitely would have hit him if my blaster hadn't misfired.

-Rushing straight at someone, causing him to flee...it was pretty funny, but it turned out that he was on my team anyway.

-Arcing a shot at Ice, thinking that I overshot him, and then seeing the dart drop out of the air right on top of him.

-Dodging an entire hopper's worth of darts...though I don't know if it was due to my skills or my opponent's lack of them.

Not really war-associated:

Ted's trunk (aka 5 Below) was super awesome. Who knew you could still get Crossbows that cheap?

I'm really glad I peer pressured Sublimedom into buying an Ultimator.

I got a LNIB EaB from Badger. Yes, I will make those gimmicks useful.

Even though driving in Jersey sucks, I'd totally do this again next year.

I saw a car from Illinois in the lot, but was disappointed that the Unholy 3 weren't there. Ryan's a pretty cool guy in person.

#126372 Fall Dcno

Posted by jwasko on 16 October 2007 - 11:26 AM in Nerf Wars

Either you're small, CS, or that thing is bigger than I anticipated...bigger than an MP5, if I remember correctly. Of course, I realize that with the materials you're using it's hard to build small yet strong parts.

Anyway, great job. I wish you luck in the swift completion/perfection of this project.

Edit: Whoops, thought this was the ABP5k thread...too many tabs open, I suppose. Sorry about that.

#288239 Community Snap Thread

Posted by jwasko on 10 November 2010 - 06:00 PM in Homemades

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to outdo anyone, but I happen to have tried something similar to Langley a little while back and wanted to share:
Posted Image

My plunger rod is 1/2" aluminum, so I added a ring of CPVC inside of the CPVC coupler.

Since mine wasn't assembled "backwards," I extended the plunger tube back into a stock with a slot cut in it to keep the plunger rod in the correct position:
Posted Image

More details here.

In all, it turned out okay. But I need a stronger spring, less friction, and/or a lighter plunger rod.

#288249 Community Snap Thread

Posted by jwasko on 10 November 2010 - 10:01 PM in Homemades

I had to dremel out the CPVC a fair amount, in this case (probably a 17/32" or maybe even 9/16" drill bit would have been ideal).

But I have found CPVC with an (extremely) large OD, which slipped right over the 1/2" Aluminum as if they were two nesting pieces of brass. It seems CPVC varies widely not only from one manufacturer to another, but from one lot to the next. *shrugs*

#128940 Music

Posted by jwasko on 07 November 2007 - 03:09 PM in Off Topic

Why does everyone hate rap? I'm not trying to change your opinions, listen to what you want, but there must be some reason why 90% of you hate it.

WARNING!

Some or all of the following statements may offend some people. Please try to maintain an open state of mind, and keep this as a reasonable discussion rather than a flaming inferno.

In my mind, rap isn't really music. Now, don't get me wrong: it can definitely be a way to express one's feelings in much the same way that music does. But, I don't know...it's just not the same.

For one thing, there is rapping and then there is singing. Now, some rap "songs" do contain something very close to actual singing (I can't think of any examples...and, heck, maybe they weren't even rap) and I can actually stand to listen to those. The same is true for the "music" component of a rap "song." It isn't really music, just a very repetitive beat. Some rap has something more complex than just a straightforward beat, and, again, I can almost stand those rap "songs."

If anything, I would call rap a kind of poetry (which I'm not a big fan of, either), while other genres of music (all the rocks, country, jazz, swing, techno, etc.) are, well..."music." And I do like at least a few songs from each of those genres.

Similar to Carbon, I really don't listen to the words of a song...in fact, I can't understand a lot of them even if I try, anyway. Instead, I just sort of sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience of the music as I allow myself to zone out (particularly easy to do if it's late and I'm laying in bed waiting to fall asleep). So, rap generally doesn't have what I want in a song.

And, last but not least, is the effect that rap seems to have on me whether I want it to or not. I really did get rather depressed after listening to that joke-y rap song by Flight of the Conchords yesterday, even though I tried to like it...I even watched three different Youtube videos of it! A weird reaction, I know, but I really did feel horrible after that third time. *shrugs*

So, there you go, SHA. At least writing this took up a large chunk of "boring time" aka working in the mailroom.

#128856 Music

Posted by jwasko on 06 November 2007 - 08:21 PM in Off Topic

I dont listen to rap but come on guys dont diss other people's music. Rap is ok next to Hip-Hop.

I don't mean to diss it, I'm just telling the truth. If people like it, that's cool, but I really don't.

I definitely agree, however, that you shouldn't judge a person based on their music choice.

#128846 Music

Posted by jwasko on 06 November 2007 - 07:23 PM in Off Topic

I hate rap. Most other music is okay on a case-by-case basis, but I prefer "classic" rock. AC/DC, The Who, Queen, The Wailers and the Kingsmen (although, Louie Louie is all I've heard from either of the two), ELO, Donny Iris, STYX, America, Led Zeppelin, and many others (most of which I don't even know the name of the song let alone the band).

The second worst day of my life: The day I found out a variety station (BOB FM) bought out my city's (fantastic) classic rock station. :cry: , :cry: again

And those kids that are getting all stereotypical about Rap, listen to Rhymenocerous vs. Hip Hop Opotimus by Flight of the Conchords. Not all 'rap' is bad.

I looked it up on Youtube and listened to it. Yeah, the lyrics are funny, but it still has the same effect on me as every other rap song: I feel like ripping my ears off and/or committing suicide. No, seriously.

Excuse me while I go listen to some good music. It's necessary for my health, you see.

"Okay, let's give it to 'em right now!" -Jack Ely

#352903 Koosh Vortex Tornado Scans (Now a shell replica concept thread)

Posted by jwasko on 20 April 2016 - 09:31 PM in Homemades

I have a recon shell in my homemades toolbag that is exclusively for tracing onto wood for handles.  I never understood the love for the maverick handle, the bumps never quite line up with my fingers.

Obviously the issue is with your fingers, Mav grips are pretty much my second favorite bumps to hold.

My favorite bumps are much squishier and don't quite fit in my hand as well, but they're really fun to play with.

Editting in something useful: http://www.smooth-on.com/media.phphas lots of instructional videos for mold-making and casting

#127603 Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Posted by jwasko on 26 October 2007 - 09:32 PM in Off Topic

Well being one of the first forums I joined, I didnt realy have a catchy name, so I just have my name
C. Capogreca. :rolleyes:

Same here, man. We're so unimaginative...

Oh, and Oro?: Rurouni Kenshin was one of the first animes I watched. It's a great show; too bad the DVD sets are always so expensive.

#172395 Pa War

Posted by jwasko on 25 August 2008 - 06:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the bit of a necro, but...when did I say I was coming?

*scratches head*

#172400 Pa War

Posted by jwasko on 25 August 2008 - 07:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the bit of a necro, but...when did I say I was coming?

*scratches head*

So im guessing that your in, Or not, I'm kinda confused right now

I'm probably out, unless someone else from Steel City feels generous enough to give me a free ride. Even then, the likelihood is pretty low...I have 3 science courses this semester, so it's more likely than not that I'll have one or more exams the week after the war.

And again, I ask...when did I say I was coming? Did Karpenter, Boo0gers, BOT, or Gunpowderjones PM you about coming?

After seeing your edit, my question has been answered. I suppose I will have to talk to Karpenter, then. He really needs to call me about these things...

So, yeah, maybe I'll come and maybe I won't. I probably won't know until closer to the war.

If Talio is coming, though, I'll probably try harder; I'll be able to check off another name on the "people I'd like to Nerf with" list. Hmm...think I'll ever get to Nerf with Chuck Norris?

In conclusion: if you want to, put me as a "maybe." Or leave me as a definite. I don't care.

#140169 What Was Your First Nerf Gun?

Posted by jwasko on 14 February 2008 - 10:49 AM in General Nerf

I think it was two Sharpshooter I's (from two different friends, on my birthday), although it may have been the blue-and-pink BnA (can't remember where/how I got that).

I think the Sharpshooters were second gen or something, though...they were blue rather than gold/brown, and the darts didn't have fins.

My "returning to nerf" blaster was the (blue) Mav.

#359076 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 06 April 2017 - 09:44 PM in Homemades

Yes, that's a great design. But aside from the magazine in the grip it's fairly completely different from what we are working on here.

#358953 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 31 March 2017 - 09:25 PM in Homemades

You may have already seen this, Slug, but there was a design posted on reddit for a magazine that used a rubber band: https://www.reddit.c...ed_stefan_mags/

It is made to use with stefans in a standard size magwell, so it won't fit in a pistol grip. But it might be something to consider.

#359388 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 23 April 2017 - 05:27 PM in Homemades

Looks great so far, Slug. How long did the whole blaster end up being? It looks pretty compact.

How are you directing the air from the plunger tube to the chamber/barrel? You showed some tubing or some such, but I haven't caught how it all hooks up.

#361327 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 17 August 2017 - 08:08 PM in Homemades

Au contraire Captain, it has been done.

Just. It ideal for this project.

I think that those two stacks did not quite "center" though, as would be needed for a springer's barrel or even most flywheels. That blaster looks to have very thick flywheels, so it can fire from two slightly offset stacks.

#359450 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 25 April 2017 - 01:54 PM in Homemades

Thanks for the pics, Slug. So you basically just left a channel between layers of PVC then? I always thought to possibly do that, but wasn't sure how it would work out (especially with polycarb; solvent welding helps, I'm sure).

That ram sure is sexy, too. I guess you could actually make it with a piece of sheet plastic (for the narrow part) and then just use a cylinder on the end.

2. Turn on range hood to HIGH

Missed this post before. Just wanted to remind everyone that not all kitchen range hoods actually vent anywhere... a lot just blow back into the room (at least, mine and my parents' both do).

#358897 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 29 March 2017 - 08:03 PM in Homemades

Here there is no such thing and the cable will be held taught by the load of the main spring all the time.

Could you leave ~0.25" or so gap between the unprimed shuttle plate and the slide? Then attach a rubber band to the back of the shuttle plate to keep tension as in Piranha.

By the way does the trigger pivot at the very top, at the back of the hooks? Or does it pivot further down?

Anyway, looks really sleek. Great job, as usual.

#157378 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by jwasko on 29 May 2008 - 03:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Let's just say that, hypothetically, some person (or possibly persons) were considering possibly, maybe coming to APOC from Pittsburgh.

What would someone suggest as far as getting there while not taking a car, and almost certainly not flying?

Thanks in advance.

#358735 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by jwasko on 23 March 2017 - 10:02 PM in Homemades

This is ridiculously awesome. It's very much like something I was once planning but never had the chance to build. Great job bringing it to life, it did nearly bring me to tears of joy as per the thread title. Yours looks at least 9000 times sexier than anything I could have ever built anyways...and it even has a slidelock!

Question: Did you wind your own spring for the magazine?

Well shoot, that's pretty clever. I was going to suggest looking through Boltsniper's old builds - his NTS specifically since it's a clip-fed slide-action pistol, but they seem to have lost all their pictures (Slug, is there anything we can do about that?).

https://web.archive....des/armory2.htm(Too much sexiness for one thread? The mag wasn't in the handle, though, so it loses some style points I guess)

#158003 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by jwasko on 04 June 2008 - 12:16 PM in Nerf Wars

I was looking for suggestions on where to arrive in NJ, from Pittsburgh (via bus or train). Also, if I were to (for instance) arrive at Newark I would need transportation to the war (via a fellow Nerfer or public transportation, like a subway or local bus). Thus, I needed info such as what Vacc provided.

I still don't know for sure if I or anyone else from Pittsburgh is going, but thanks for the info everyone (TIS, OMC, Vacc).

#157453 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by jwasko on 30 May 2008 - 08:26 AM in Nerf Wars

I was hoping for something a little more specific than that; I already figured it would be a bus or train, but I'm not sure where I should go.

For instance, I was looking at a Greyhound bus to Newark airport. It's almost an hour from Deal Park, though, so I (and, again, possibly others) would either need a ride from there to the war, or someone to clue me in to the local public transportation system.

If anyone recommends a different bus station, or maybe even a different bus company, please let me know.

#353465 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by jwasko on 13 May 2016 - 10:36 PM in Modifications

Any tips on an efficient motor upgrade for the $8 Stampede?

It doesn't really need one. The stock motor can handle way more than the gears the motor drives can.

#351157 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by jwasko on 26 January 2016 - 03:41 PM in Modifications

Thanks a lot for your help. I was thinking of getting rhinos but wanted something a little more powerful if I could as I'm planning to use the metal flywheel cage from DrSnikkas in my Rapidstrike but I may just stick with rhinos to begin with for simplicity.

Will that metal flywheel cage be including metal flywheels? Or plastic ones?

I'm not sure how metal flywheels treat Rhinos considering the extra weight. Certainly they will spin fast enough, but the question is how quickly they get up to full speed.

Talk herestates some dissatisfaction about how long it takes for "Blade 180" motors to reach full speed with metal flywheels, and those half twice the torque that Rhinos have.

On the other hand, talk heresays that he makes plastic flywheels now and just the cage is metal. At that point, Rhinos should work great.

Edit: Just looked at a picture from Bobololo and they look like plastic, so Rhinos should be fine