Doom's Content

There have been 510 items by Doom (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#32172 Homade Cps?

Posted by Doom on 23 July 2004 - 09:10 AM in Homemades

Bike tube: high durability and pressure

Please, don't even joke about that. A single bike tube will never get too much pressure. I only will reccomend what I call CPS tubing, latex rubber tubing from McMaster. That stuff is much better, I admit is more expensive and you have to wait for it to arrive, but you can practically specify the thickness.

If you want to see a "Homade CPS", look no further than this: http://forums.sscent...?showtopic=1261. 63 foot range isn't too bad for a water gun (effective range is 58 feet). Saying that a modded CPS 2500 which shoots water maybe 45 feet at most gets over 200 feet in range, one can only imagine how well that gun would perform shooting a Nerf dart.

I have made a Nerf homemade with a tube that is 3/16" thick just to test it (Note: it wasn't cemented together because the tubes are so low pressure). That performs similarly to my recent air pressure Nerf homemade. Actually a little bit worse, but that may have been due to leaking because I didn't cement it.

I actually have been working on a semi-auto system using a CPS tube I have. I'm making it out of leftover parts and now I don't think I'll be able to finish it. If you have the money, I will recommend making an air backpack and using a regulator to save you a lot of time. The CPS tubing stuff is constant pressure, but it's too much of a hassle to work with. I've seen it all happen to the homemade stuff, bursting off the barbs even with tubing clamps on tight, popping, the fact that it gets thinner with use, it's only for water guns. Maybe as a cost effective solution you could use it, but a regulator with an air backpack set-up should hold more air and be more powerful.

#31053 Jspb Semiautomatic Barrel

Posted by Doom on 13 July 2004 - 10:07 AM in Homemades

I get that the check valve like thing will only let a certain amount of air through, good idea. That would help ration the air, but what I don't get is how this is semi-auto because you would have to put the dart down the barrel again, which doesn't even have a breech so you would have to jam it down the barrel. I also think it would be quite hard to modify a check valve to do that, in fact I think you'd be better off building that valve, which likely would turn out cheaper.

Do you have a working model?

#30739 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 08 July 2004 - 08:11 PM in Homemades

Sorry for the double post, but the gun is complete. I took a semi-accurate range test, a level shot was 93 feet with a bit of wind. I didn't get angled range because it was a little windy when I decided to test it. In reality the level range probably is more like 85 feet.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0185.JPG

There's the completed gun. In my next one I'm going to use a real pump, this balloon one is pretty shitty.

#30580 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 07 July 2004 - 03:06 PM in Homemades

Who doesn't like my carpet?

I've bought the last remaining parts to make this gun a little more comfortable. The total of my new parts at Lowes came to 88 cents but and I overestimated a lot and paid $2 (everything must have been on sale or something). The poor retarded register operator gave me 22 cents change instead of the $1.22 I should have had. My parents dragged me out before I realized that he messed up my change.

It's also nice to see someone make a new topic with the exact some title as this very recent one. That doesn't happen too often, in fact it's the first time I've seen it happen.

Bleh, I'm going off-topic, I'll be finishing the gun today and take ranges tommorow. Thanks for all your help. I hope my ROF idea works good, I think it would work best if I replaced everything below the hose handle with the attachments for some air backpack with a regulator.

#30506 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 06 July 2004 - 10:21 AM in Homemades

Actually the dart does not have to be in straight, you just move it over the head of the dart and then slide it into the holder and it works. The barrel grabs the dart out very well. I experimented and found that a 1/2" piece of schedule 80 will hold the dart in well but also allow it to be pulled out. I also tried a 1" piece which didn't let the dart be pulled from it.

#30374 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 05 July 2004 - 09:18 AM in Homemades

A check valve basically is a one way valve. It is designed to let a fluid through in one direction. They also are fairly easy to make if you have to right parts, I have before.

I've decided to get a second angled coupler to make the pump straight. After that I'll use the primer and cement it a few hours later. I'll get pictures and accurate ranges tommorow, likely after lunch.

I have also thought of a way to make my breech design into multiple barrels, similar to that one I saw on a webpage. I was messing around last night with the breech thing and I turned the smaller tee on the left so the unused end was pointing down. It was then that I realized I could add another barrel under there, and if I had one of those things that split it even more then I could have more barrels. I won't be able to do that due to my extremely limited budget, I was just putting the idea out to anyone who want to try it.

Edit:

Now I've thought of an even better way to improve the rate of fire. On the side of the coupler (well actually tee in this case) that the barrel plugs into I can put 2 darts in a special holder. I then can move the barrel into the holder and pull out the dart. I have a working model already, not glued yet because my dad said he'd buy another angled coupler and I'm waiting for that. Pictures with descriptions are below. I am sorry that these images are so huge, I don't feel like opening Photoshop or another image editor at the moment.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0168.JPG

The darts in their holders. The holders will be put on the sides of the tee. You actually could make the holders out of schedule 80 PVC and an endcap, I just didn't have any leftover endcaps.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0169.JPG

The barrel plugged into the holder.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0171.JPG

The barrel is pulled out and the dart is sticking out a bit...

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0172.JPG

...so I push it in as I plug the barrel into the tee. This all actually can be done very quickly.

Now that I have the two couplers in front of my I see that all they do is create an extra large right angle one. I should think a bit more before buying. I'm just going to get a right angle one and use some styrofoam to keep the gun more stable. I don't think I'll be able to complete this homemade today now. I hope that gives me more time for ideas.

#30326 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 04 July 2004 - 06:58 PM in Homemades

That's a 1" check valve, was about $10. I actually used a pump made for twisty balloons (you know, the stuff clowns make balloon animals from) that I picked up at Wal*Mart for less than $3. I thought it was a steal but then I thought it's built in check valve was probably weak so I got a real one for it.

#30319 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 04 July 2004 - 05:40 PM in Homemades

It's fairly easy to hold, not akward. I can see why it looks akward. The hose handle was the cheapest valve I could find, just under $3. It's not exactly straight and the pump really is way too low. I had to improvise because I had limited time to shop for parts and money. It's only my second, and by the time I get to my third and forth I'll have all the bugs of my early ones fixed.

I've been considering modifying the hose handle so it will have more output. You know that little metal thing at the end of the nozzle? It's not needed to get air through, all it does is let the user change the shape of the water stream. There is no water stream here and I believe that all that is doing is limiting the air flow. Should I remove it? I believe I can with a dremel.

#30316 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 04 July 2004 - 05:13 PM in Homemades

Thats what teflon tape is for my friend. I have an entier roll in the first picture. I put that on before I put the primer on.

#30312 My New Homemade

Posted by Doom on 04 July 2004 - 04:57 PM in Homemades

I'm building a Nerf homemade, my second one. I've built one before out of extra parts from my homemade water guns, but it was really nothing special. I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly because I really don't know exactly what I'm doing on this. I don't want to cement it until I'm sure I didn't crap it up.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0166.JPG

There's the basic gun. I made my own breech system because I didn't like the one in the homemades section. I also made the air chamber have a screw off cap, so I could expand it if I want to say shoot 10 darts or something.

http://www.sscentral...es/DSCN0167.JPG

There's the breech open.

I just want some verification before I potentially make a mistake permanent. If anyone likes the design then I'll make some instructions.

#29662 Homemade Flamethrower

Posted by Doom on 27 June 2004 - 10:19 AM in Off Topic

Heh, I could do something like that, likely a couple times more impressive that what he did. His design was poor, he wasn't getting enough output. He only used 85 psi too, too low for such a weapon.

I have a couple videos of people using converted Super Soakers as flamethrowers. The problem is that I need to find them, I forget the URLs and the videos aren't on this machine. Really cool, don't try this at home kind of stuff.

#29551 Soaker

Posted by Doom on 25 June 2004 - 03:46 PM in Homemades

http://www.xinventio...ater_cannon.htm

The design you shown isn't the one on the picture. The picture of it shooting is XInventions design #2, it uses an air compressor to help push the water out. Your hose plus an air line pushing at it can be used like a pressure washer, in fact they sell stuff like that. There is no way that design could shoot like that.

Posted Image

You can see both the hose and the air line going up to the gun.

The first design, the one serpent loser shown, should be much easier to make than the one on my site. However you have to pressurize it with an air compressor, the 1/2" internal diameter has less than half the flow of 3/4", and the tubing leading up to the nozzle creates turbulance and limits the flow even further. The design isn't very practical for a water war and won't perform as well. It doesn't even have a nozzle selector. I would stick with my air pressure design and my other designs (check out my forums for them).

#28946 Soaker

Posted by Doom on 20 June 2004 - 02:13 PM in Homemades

I do realize this topic is 17 days old, but I have finished my guide on how to make that gun Janga linked to. The URL is below. :P

http://www.sscentral...memades/aph.php

#27648 Soaker

Posted by Doom on 03 June 2004 - 04:07 PM in Homemades

Hello, I really liked your Nerf homemades. If you're as good as people say (and I say) then you should have no problem making homemade water guns. I plan on making some Nerf homemades this summer. Detailed instructions on my homemade water guns will be out this summer.

View that topic that Janga linked to. I think you may have to join the forums but I'm not sure. If you know your stuff, you can make it just from the pics I have there.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/pump/

That should show how I made the pump in pictures. It works very good, much easier than making a seal out of O rings.

http://www.sscentral...mages/homemade/

There's some of my other homemades in there. I'm gonna make a few more homemades this weekend since I have the money and extra parts, so if you're interested join the forums. I should post something there.

#27258 Homemade Piston

Posted by Doom on 30 May 2004 - 09:29 AM in Homemades

Well if you want something simpler than that, you could try something like in these pictures. I made this as part of a water pump with 1/2" ID PVC (schedule 40, it doesn't matter), but it's easily modable to make it work with larger diameters and as a plunger.

http://www.sscentral...mp/DSCN0489.JPG
http://www.sscentral...mp/DSCN0490.JPG
http://www.sscentral...mp/DSCN0496.JPG
http://www.sscentral...mp/DSCN0494.JPG

The last picture is the pump fitting into 1/2" ID PVC. To make this into a plunger type thing you could use a larger ID PVC and a larger rod. Then you should use a washer or something on the longer end of the rod while it has the electrical tape on to put the spring on. Then you get the spring, the endcap and glue it all together. :P

#26559 Homemade Internals For Sm1500

Posted by Doom on 19 May 2004 - 04:07 PM in Homemades

The rubber tubing was meant to keep every shot equally as powerful, that's why they use it in the PowerClip, Wildfire and such. If you want to buy some, mcmaster has a ton, the thicker the better, it's called latex rubber tubing. I've bought some before and used them in homemade water guns. You'll have to layer some bike tube over it to get it more powerful.

#25013 Super Soaker Sites

Posted by Doom on 28 April 2004 - 05:02 AM in Off Topic

They're shit, I have a few myself, I never would use them because I'm fine the way I battle right now. Toilet paper also when taped to you will disolve when shot.

#24989 Super Soaker Sites

Posted by Doom on 27 April 2004 - 07:32 PM in Off Topic

But hey, I'm not even sure how exactly those bolts spin the water streams without dispersing them, so obviously soakers are not my domain.

Actually I was wrong about that, I tried it myself and it didn't do anything. If the guy who convinced me that worked was still around I'd have a long talk with him. Patent #5,779,099, which basically describes those straws right in front of the nozzle, is the only thing proven to make the stream stick together better.

#24987 Fire Extinquisher Homemade

Posted by Doom on 27 April 2004 - 06:59 PM in Homemades

Fire extinguishers actually are very light when not full. I have an empty one myself, it weights near nothing. However, I don't know how to refill it so it's useless. The fact that the guage goes over 400 PSI is tempting though...

Whoever made that auction likely meant to say that he did this to it to make it into a water gun, not for the ones he's selling obviously. I personally wouldn't make that because the instructions were made several years ago and there's better stuff around now, also old fire extinguishers are really hard to find!

It would be better to make something similar out of PVC, if you need higher pressures get some schedule 80 or something. I also find it kinda amusing that you were "browsing ebay to look into making a nerf gun," IMO it would be easier to look at homemade instructions to do that.

#17167 Super Soaker Sniper

Posted by Doom on 26 January 2004 - 03:09 PM in Homemades

Converting a Super Soaker is a terrible idea. The only real good ones would be XP 105s, 150s, 100s because they don't take too many pumps to pressurize. If you ever get one of those, take off one of the pressure tanks and fill in the hole with epoxy or something, so it will take half the pumps as before, depending on which one you do, it could get it down to 4 or 5 pumps. After that, you may want to do a check valve freeze, the SS equivilant to release valve plugging.
Yeah, I know my super soakers. I'm a loser. :blush:

#17164 Lanard Triple Shot Mods

Posted by Doom on 26 January 2004 - 02:53 PM in Modifications

Well, I'll just buy the check valve from mcmaster.com, where I had to buy some stuff before. They've got most anything you'd ever want. I need it to hold extreme pressure(this ain't air pressure), but I'll try your design, check your pms.
Hmm, my dad once bought some brass from Lowes to use with something. I think we may still have some lying around now that I'm remembering that.

#17155 Lanard Triple Shot Mods

Posted by Doom on 26 January 2004 - 11:23 AM in Modifications

I don't care. Strong enough isn't strong enough for me.

Just so you know you can't buy brass at Home Depot. I've tried, my dad works there.

Well then I'll go to Lowes. They don't sell check valves at Home Depot either. :rolleyes: Bad plumbing dept. I guess.

#17018 Lanard Triple Shot Mods

Posted by Doom on 24 January 2004 - 07:34 PM in Modifications

Ok, whatever. I'll be sure to reinforce the lever, I think I may even put an aluminum rod down the handle to make it stronger, if it fits.

#17006 Lanard Triple Shot Mods

Posted by Doom on 24 January 2004 - 03:47 PM in Modifications

First of all, that metal spring that is visible is way to strong for your gun in it's current position.

I already said I was not gonna use that spring. Please read all of peoples posts.
I'll buy some brass and some of that stefan stuff when I go to home depot. Any other suggestions?

#16984 Lanard Triple Shot Mods

Posted by Doom on 24 January 2004 - 11:39 AM in Modifications

Well, I'm sorta a new person to Nerf, and I don't exactly know what I'm doing. I've been doing some mods to the only working nerf gun I got, a lanard triple shot. I used to have a at 2000, but I pumped it one too many times.
http://www.sscentral...rf/DSCN0309.JPG
That's a pic of what I've done so far. Soory for the large file size, I didn't feel like opening photoshop. That spring I put in there is way to powerful, it can't compress to the size I need it to, however it's the perfect size. I've been planning to go to Home Depot any day now to make a homemade(not nerf), and while I'm there I'll check out the spring section.
The popsicle sticks are there to keep the spring in btw. Those are peices of tubing keeping it in, and a peice of tubing disabling the safety thing. I've looked at a topic with some sad pics of what can happen from doing that, and I'm thinking about epoxying a strip of brass on each side to prevent that from happening.
In the nozzles, I'm thinking about replacing the barrels with whatever I can, probably what's cheapest. Since those holes the air is fed through are pretty small, I think I'll drill larger ones. I also think I'll lube up the thing that turns the nozzles to make it work better.
Now why I posted this... I want to know if what I'm doing should work, I don't want to bust this thing like I did to my at 2000. So tell me what should work and what shouldn't, I'll take it into consideration.

#16157 Ultimator Trigger

Posted by Doom on 10 January 2004 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

I think this is sorta what waspy meant, but try this. I know it's for a SS gun, but thats what I've done more than Nerf, and it should work.

#16156 Super Soaker Sniper Rifle

Posted by Doom on 10 January 2004 - 08:04 PM in Modifications

Its a super soaker triple shot 85XP

That's one of the worst SS guns ever. It's just as good as the original ones, in fact, it's mostly uses the same design. It's shit.
Why don't you just make a homemade? I knew some people who did, and they shoot well over 200 feet, and don't take a crapload of pumps. Leave the SS guns for use as water weaponry.

#16109 Super Soaker Sniper Rifle

Posted by Doom on 10 January 2004 - 09:58 AM in Modifications

Geez, I'm starting to hate people who mod SS to shoot Nerf but don't do mods to decrease the number of pumps and power. What gun is it? You will want to do a check valve freeze no matter what kind of gun it is, it's the SS equivilant to release valve plugging, except it's a LOT harder(and I have done both). My site(check sig) has the first pictoral guide on how to do that. Remove the resiviour too. If it's got a nozzle selector you should have kept that and drilled some larger holes in the nozzles. After that you could add some barrels and have a better ROF.
If it's a CPS soaker, you definetly should not think that more pumps equals more pressure. CPS soakers' power comes from that rubber bladder they got. I know that on my 27000(the extra 0 means some special mods have been done), it will shoot just as far on 10 pumps as it will on 20. K modding or Collosusing will increase the power of that rubber bladder. I've done K modding before, and I'm in the process of writing a guide on how to do it(like check valve freezing it's the first pictoral guide). Collosus is less effective(and much harder) but your only option for many CPS soakers.
Adding an electric air compressor is stupid. It'll cost a ton to get a portable battery operated one, and it will be as heavy as crap.

#15864 Busted Screw

Posted by Doom on 06 January 2004 - 05:30 PM in Modifications

As a supersoaker modder(I mod nerf too) I know a lot about screws, they can get seriously rusted, and they will not come out no matter what you do. Drilling is your best option, don't waste your money on that other crap. You can hold your gun together with duct tape if it's really that bad. In one of my supersoakers, I got 9 of the original 30 or so screws in and it works fine.
look here if you wanna see a old pic of that gun

#13351 Mod For Cps 2500

Posted by Doom on 28 November 2003 - 11:03 AM in Modifications

I think you should do the Collosus mod to that 2500. Read how to do it here. You could also do a check valve freeze, it's a common SS modification allowing you to overpump. If you didn't already, remove the reservoir, too.