shmmee's Content

There have been 412 items by shmmee (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#283340 West Valley, Utah Nerf War

Posted by shmmee on 17 August 2010 - 01:20 PM in Nerf Wars

After a little research, i found the cheap movable walls i've been thinking of had already been written up by Captin Slug, and named Mobsticles. The slight differences being the material and wall height. I'm thinking of using weed fabric. it's shorter, and comes on a long roll. We'll see how it works out. Though i do like his shower curtain ring idea. It would keep things from getting torn. Perhaps some day i'll come up with something that hasn't been done before....

#283218 West Valley, Utah Nerf War

Posted by shmmee on 15 August 2010 - 10:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Greetings all, for those who live in the Salt lake city area, or those who live close enough and are willing to travel, I'm putting another war together in the West Valley area.

When:
Saturday Sept 25
3:00 P.M.

Where:
6680 W Bridle Farms Rd (3940 S) West Valley, Ut.
Google map it if you don't know where it is.

Eye protection will be required if any guns are modified further than AR removals. (which i really hope happens. My PAS needs some maintenance, but should be working by then, so bring some just in case.

It's a small neighborhood park, and sees little use. It's also kind of new, so there is little cover apart from the play ground, so I'm going to be working on developing cheap and quick, removable walls to throw up as cover. If it seems beneficial, I'll write it up.

As far as guns and darts, just be smart about it, no exposed metal or excessively weighted steffans, or anything that is ridiculously over powered (enough to cause injury and such)

Thanks, and i hope to see a good showing, feel free to e-mail me, and post replies if you think you might be able to make it.

Shmmee

#282559 The Snap-7 Microbow

Posted by shmmee on 09 August 2010 - 02:46 PM in Homemades

I normally read, appreciate and keep my mouth shut unless i actually have something to contribute, but that's too cool to not comment on. I love that you use the elasticity of pvc instead of a spring. Your design pays a great homage back to the classic days of nerfing. I'm deffinately going to have to ad that to my list of things to build.

#279935 'geddon 'leven Date Set July 10, 2010

Posted by shmmee on 10 July 2010 - 09:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks all for an frekin' awesome war!

my recap Pros:

~Even though i was gluing it up, and had never even fired a full clip through it my PAS, not only lasted the entire war, but got some ownage in too.
~Even though my gun broke some how, some way each war, i had the tools and supplies to field repair anything that broke and get back in the game.
~My first major nerf war was a full on war, and not one of the little skirmishes like what I'd host back in Utah.
~leaving the hotel room at Glendora's garden inn and suites to see 3 others loading Nerf guns into the back of a van and asking: Geddon?
~Having my ERTL PAS examined, admired, and even feared. I had to cross a lot of design issues, and work though a lot of problems to get that thing to work like it did. Thanks for the props.

Cons:

~Rolling my ankle during the first round, hobbling through the rest of the day, and probably spending the next week on the cruse layed up (not actually a bad thing) because i kept playing on it.
~watching in absolute horror as the barrel of my gun snapped off while attempting a barrel tap on someone with a sword. (it was straight from a samuri movie)
~using # 8 washers for steffan weights when i should of been using #6 and having the hot glue jam up in my pistol splat.
~Being naive enough to think 70 Steffans would be enough.
~Probably won't be able to attend every year! Lame.

#275652 Secret Shot 2 Air Tank Help

Posted by shmmee on 23 May 2010 - 02:08 PM in Modifications

You're right on track, and for the benefit of other readers: This isn't just a one-shot "cure" it is more like "therapy" ... don't pump it up high, but pump and fire a bunch of times, holding the blaster at different angles, but mostly downward. The goal is to help whatever it was get all the way out.

So it would seem. After what must felt like 100+ low pressure firings, it's back up to firing at 30-35 psi. A few more should have it back to where it was earlier. :D

Thanks all for your advice.

#275576 Secret Shot 2 Air Tank Help

Posted by shmmee on 22 May 2010 - 04:19 PM in Modifications

Progress... After repeated low pressure firings it now works at about 25 psi (a pump and a half) it gets it back to about stock ranges. I was able to fire it at about 40 psi with a pop.

#275566 Secret Shot 2 Air Tank Help

Posted by shmmee on 22 May 2010 - 01:50 PM in Modifications

I've lubricated both the barrel side (hopefully some got in) and in through the air in let tube and fired until puffs of lubricant started firing out of the barrel. Performance is improved, but it's still not where it was. Could it be possible that the check valve (one way valve) separating the two air chambers could be faulty, allowing an excess amount of air to shoot back when the secondary chamber vents? Guess i could discharge it under water and see where the most bubbles are coming from...

#275536 Secret Shot 2 Air Tank Help

Posted by shmmee on 21 May 2010 - 11:57 PM in Modifications

Hi,

I've modified a secret shot II with a duel action bike hand pump (which also has a pressure gauge integrated into the handle to help avoid over-pressurizing.) and re barreled it in brass to shoot micros. It worked very well for an entire day of Nerfing, but when i fired it again a few days later it discharged with a half-second hiss instead of the explosive pop that I've been hearing. The air tank does hold pressure until the trigger is pulled. It just discharges slowly.

I haven't made any other mechanical alterations to the tank, or trigger and I don't see any obstructions in the barrel. Any thoughts on causes and repairs? Would shooting silicon lubricant down the barrel and into the chamber help? I'm not sure about the internal workings of this tank. It might be a big brother of the secret strike (Two air chambers with depressurization of a smaller one instigating depressurization of the main- barrel side tank. There has been a fabulous write up by:
iknowmy3tables - http://nerfhaven.com...254&hl=revealed describing the secret strikes internal workings so I won't go farther into it.) The white firing pin coming out the back leads me to suspect the dual air-chamber set up. Perhaps the stopper on the barrel side tank isn't getting out of the way completely? I'm not sure. I anyone could offer any help or insights into the matter I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shmmee

#273468 West Valley, Ut War

Posted by shmmee on 26 April 2010 - 07:32 PM in Nerf Wars

I would come, but I moved a couple years ago. Oh well. and I thought there weren't any nerfers in Utah!

That's too bad, but that is the current feel of it so far. I've only met one other Utahn on Nerfhaven so far, but we're slowly building up a group out here. I keep posting the wars for visitors, and any Utah members I haven't met yet.

I'll make sure There's an active Nerfing community in Utah, even if I have to build it myself.

#273399 West Valley, Ut War

Posted by shmmee on 26 April 2010 - 01:47 PM in Nerf Wars

This months post will be much the same as Aprils (though time has changed):

Location: my house -front and back yard in West Valley UT, (a suburb of Salt Lake City). The lot is about a quarter acre, and oddly round shaped with a house in the middle. During the winter the battles have been inside (split level, it's worked well--a decent backup in case of rain). E-mail me if your interested and I'll reply with the address.

When: Saturday May 15, 2010, 12:00 P.M. till ??:??

What to bring: Eye protection! It's required. Also a primary, a secondary weapon, and anyone else who would like to come play, (I do have quite a few loaners if they don't have any guns). A sack lunch might also be wise.

What not to bring: Bad attitudes, Cussin' and Swearin'. It might be a unique request, but kids will be present, and that's just not something I like at my house. Also, don't plan on using any guns that can exceed 100' flat, or anything else that might I may deem unsafe. You can bring them to show off your mad modding skills, but bring a backup too, just in case. I'm still toying with the 100' limit because I've never been shot with anything that could exceed 100'. All Stefan's must have some sort of padding on the tip (nothing harder than hot glue).

A gun hit counts as out, we haven't tried implementing barrel tapping, and there are some local games and variations we like to play. We'll get everyone briefed before a game starts.

If you are under 18 years of age, let me know and I'll attach a liability waver for your parents to sign. (per the request of my ever-so-patient wife). If your an adult, expect to sign one when you arrive. I've also prepaired a war primer discussing our local rules and games.

Now that I've established a small local group, I'm hoping to expand it to a group of regulars big enough to move to a park for the monthly wars.

I Hope to see some new faces here-
Thanks,
Shmmee

Thanks Nerfhaven! I've been contacted by at least one other nerfhaven member interested in attending.

#273324 'geddon 'leven Date Set July 10, 2010

Posted by shmmee on 25 April 2010 - 06:52 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey, I'm laying plans to come for Armageddon, and booking a cruse for the following week. Is the tenth a pretty solid date? It's really going to screw me if the date changes after I book. I'm really looking forward to attending my first major Nerf war.

Edit: The cruse was filling to the last 6 cabins. I had to purchase the tickets while they were still available. I'm really, really, really hoping the tenth is solid, cause i just may cry if it changes now!

#269840 West Valley City, Utah Nerf War

Posted by shmmee on 21 March 2010 - 05:03 PM in Nerf Wars

Ha! My first post; (I was hoping it was going to be about a homemade high capacity drum clip I've been working on, but it's not functional yet).

I've been hosting Nerf wars monthly since Dec, and flinging foam for almost 20 years (i still have the Arrow Storm I got for my 8th birthday), but this is the first one I'm going to be advertising with Nerf haven. I usually get about a dozen people to show, ages 7 to 30, so I'm sure you'll be able to find someone close to your age. It should be a good time.

Location: my house -front and back yard in West Valley UT, (a suburb of Salt Lake City). The lot is about a quarter acre, and oddly round shaped with a house in the middle. During the winter the battles have been inside (split level, it's worked well--a decent backup in case of rain). E-mail me if your interested and I'll reply with the address.

When: Saturday April 17, 2010, 10:00 A.M. till ??:??

What to bring: Eye protection! It's required. Also a primary, a secondary weapon, and anyone else who would like to come play, (I do have quite a few loaners if they don't have any guns). A sack lunch might also be wise.

What not to bring: Bad attitudes, Cussin' and Swearin'. It might be a unique request, but kids will be present, and that's just not something I like at my house. Also, don't plan on using any guns that can exceed 100' flat, or anything else that might I may deem unsafe. You can bring them to show off your mad modding skills, but bring a backup too, just in case. I'm still toying with the 100' limit because I've never been shot with anything that could exceed 100'. All Stefan's must have some sort of padding on the tip (nothing harder than hot glue).

A gun hit counts as out, we haven't tried implementing barrel tapping, and there are some local games and variations we like to play. We'll get everyone briefed before a game starts.

If you are under 18 years of age, let me know and I'll attach a liability waver for your parents to sign. (per the request of my ever-so-patient wife). If your an adult, expect to sign one when you arrive.

Now that I've established a small local group, I'm hoping to expand it to a group of regulars big enough to move to a park for the monthly wars.

I Hope to see some new faces here-
Thanks,
Shmmee