Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#295890 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 04:06 PM in Nerf Wars

OOH OOH OOOH! War! I'm in, possiblyy with guests. Noodle wantsa carpool?

#295894 Raider Spring

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 04:56 PM in Modifications

Not sure which one's from a Raider, but I have plenty of ReClone springs (The're all the same anyway). Pm me.

#295919 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 March 2011 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Ybrik what about me? I'm a maybe as of now.

Sure, long as you don't mind chipping in for gas.

EDIT: I can probably cram another nerfer or 2 in the car; put me down as definite/likely + guest(s)

#296387 Brocken Ls Plunger Tube

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 March 2011 - 09:22 PM in Modifications

I can sell you a LS PT; PM me

#296484 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 March 2011 - 10:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Looks like Cheerios fell through; Im still wheedling the powers that be to let me go. If I make it I'll be bringing at least 1 friend.
EDIT- I have the green light! I'm a definite with at least 1 friend, checking around to see if more want to go. I'm low on darts though...

#296582 Nerf Dart Tag Speedload 6

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 March 2011 - 03:18 PM in Modifications

Ugh.... can't stand these guns. Barely better than a recon. Good job on the mod though.

But it's a recon with spring replacement potential (even if stock LS springs aren't that much of a boost- it's a start!). I'll be the moron who asks about ranges....

#296723 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 March 2011 - 09:25 PM in Homemades

Made one of these things. I like Hippo's name of RingCatch Pump (RCP)
Posted Image
Uses [k26] over a nylon plunger rod, a skirt seal, Sch80 for the catch ring, and Ace#2 for the primary catch spring. It's held together with #6 wood screws, countersunk of course.
Posted Image
(Holes are drilled for a string stop; I have to get around to installing it)
I got my magic thinwall PVC at Do It Best- 10' for $4, you can order online and have it shipped to your local store free!

#297317 Cataclysm 2 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 April 2011 - 04:15 PM in Nerf Wars

hellz yeah! Will do my best to be there; likely with friends.

#297318 A new style Pump-action SNAP

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 April 2011 - 04:22 PM in Homemades

Beautiful. May I ask where you happened to find 1 and 1/2" thinwall pvc? If I can get my hands on some of that, I will have to make one of these.

I got mine at Do It Best; they have online ordering with free shipping to your nearest store- go here. It's $4-ish for 10' with no shipping hassles or driving to numerous Ace's to search for the stuff.

#297406 MANO 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 April 2011 - 03:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll see what I can do- Are we nerfing in the new location? If all works out, I'll likely have at least 1 friend going.

#298055 The Bullpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 May 2011 - 11:00 PM in Homemades

Very nice. After messing around with some pump action designs, I think the vertical foregrip is something worth keeping. Have you considered a mashup of the 2 styles? A vertical foregrip with a bolt that connects to the 3/4" endcap?

#298414 Cataclysm 2 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 May 2011 - 05:44 PM in Nerf Wars

Hooray for the beginning of nerfing weather!
Pros:
+Everyone was awesome
+Meeting BrokenSVT and Kid Flash- both are cool dudes
+My RCP performed beautifully all day- now if only I could aim....
+Water and (almost) toads as alternative ammo
+2-minute 4B mod with a Leatherman
+Culvers- om nom nom
+Seeing some awesome blasters
+Getting some tacticool blasters
+Minimum rain- it turned into a nice day!
+Hanging out w/ Noodleownz on the trek south
+PINK FOAM

Cons:
-Double Headshot (what does it mean??)
-Ticks
-Skeeters
-Sunburn, humidity
-Getting shot in the forehead 4 times throughout the war
-tired
-very overgrown field- killed dart recovery
-Nobody had enough bullets!!
-High RoF means high reload times
-Iron Man Magstrike
-Getting pinned down by an AT multiple times

Fantastic war!

#298420 Grenade Launcher

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 May 2011 - 09:28 PM in Homemades

Cool story bro. FYI, we like pics over a wall of text.
EDIT: missed the 'PS'

#298557 Rolling breech

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 May 2011 - 12:04 AM in Darts and Barrels

Increasing the diameter of the 2 pieces of brass making the seal should increase the relative surface area avalible
Posted Image
If we glue the 17/32" barrel into a stub of 9/16" into which the dart can drop, and sheath that in 5/8", in theory we can have it seal, use the minimum sized slot and still seal...somewhat.

Are we looking to use Nstrike clips? if this thing can gravity-feed, why not use it as a hopper clip a la Quick16 (Drop darts in and move on)

#299801 PumpSnap writeup.

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 June 2011 - 04:13 PM in Homemades

You never showed what your plunger rod ended up looking like, is it just a piece of CPVC with a huge slot in it for the priming bar? Wouldn't Nylon rob but much more sturdy?

I don't know about Rob, but nylon rod would definitely be sturdier--have fun carving a slot through it though. Also, since (common) nylon rod has a 1/8" smaller OD than CPVC, there's very little room for error. CPVC has been used in the past and I haven't heard of it failing on anybody, and it's much easier to make

tl;dr- nylon is stronger but it's not worth it. He likely used CPVC.

#300189 Happy Birthday To WicketTheModder619

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 June 2011 - 11:53 PM in Off Topic

I'll bite. Happy birthday Wicket, may your cake not be a lie!

#300211 The SNAP/Revolution

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 June 2011 - 10:19 AM in Homemades

All i can say is this is amazing i have been watching nerfhaven for a while and i love this i am going to make it only thing wrong with the write-up is for someone who has never built a snap (such as my self)there is not materials list and you never say what size pvc the plunger TUBE is since im going to make this could you pm me or just reply to this with a materials list i found your other snap write ups on nerfhaven but i dont know if the sizes are still the same. Thanks alot and your awesome!

!.,..'
I caught most of your punctuation; it seems to have escaped your post. As with any SNAP the plunger tube is 1.25" PVC. I would suggest you build a basic SNAP before taking this one on.

#300369 Sonic Bazooka Knockoff + Buzz Bee Hunter

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 June 2011 - 04:23 PM in Modifications

I know I'm gonna regret this....
Talio, is the point of NH to only promote the Hereticorps, McNumbers, and Slugs of the community? I always thought it was a point to share knowledge and ideas- in this case the mod is defintely not beautiful, but far better than many I've seen in my time here. Carving the Hunter into an underslung integration is an interesting idea and novel to the site. For what it's worth, that idea alone is helpful, at least to me.

#300531 JSPB (3DBBQ/Taiwan-style) darts?

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 June 2011 - 11:07 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would also throw in Teflon tape for consideration. That should translate to less friction, but that is purely guess work.

You sir have never used Teflon Tape- 'tape' is used strongly with this stuff, it shreds like wet toilet paper and has no adhesion. Etape or PVC tape , if you look at the darts have a smaller final OD than the foam of the dart- no contact with the barrel means no friction already.
Meanwhile, I'm detecting a potential winner for the 'new dart' challenge- I love the concept of wrapping the weight around the outside of the dart instead of slapping it right on the intended contact point. Will watch this thread carefully....

#300756 New Nerf Guns

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 June 2011 - 03:03 PM in News

Why does everyone think that these guns are going to use a familiar plunger or reverse plunger setup? How, exactly, would you propel AND put sufficient spin on a disc by blowing a bunch of compressed air at it from behind? I would be very surprised to see plungers in these blasters, and find it far more likely that it's a new propulsion system.

I'm a little bit bummed that we aren't going to see any new N-Strike guns this year, and that the stupid orange re-releases are of a bunch of blasters that nobody cares about. How many versions of the crappiest Nerf gun (Maverick) do we really need? Is that blaster really that popular, especially after the Spectre came out? Of all three retailer exclusive guns, the one that got a nod from Nerf is the battery-powered Barricade? And the Raider, really? Not the Long Strike?

I'm just hoping this isn't going to make the actually good blasters hard to find.

Agreed with your thoughts on propulsion, though Nerf has been known to, well, nerf their own designs ever since they came across their lovechild Recon design. I take issue with your view of the Nstrike lineup. The Maverick is consistently Nerf's best selling blaster, at a reasonable price point, cool functionality, and general reliability among stock blasters (It IS a piece of shit from a modders' perspective)- it's earned its 2 repaints a year. The spectre is an overengineered Mav- the less ammo capacity and increased price make it a far cry from the Mav's replacement. As for the LSk, if you really want one, there's one in the works for this year (I won't say too mich for fear of ruining the 'suprise'). And Raiders are one of my favorite ReClones, that and the Recon itself.
/end pointless rant about child's toys.
/begin more relevant rant about companies' promises to this community.
@Hasbro- you released this info on the Facebook page ages ago! Why just now let us know? If Hasbro can't keep up its send of supplying new information to the community, I fail to see why we're holding back from speculation threads (such fun little shitstorms those) and reporting the news when it crops up on the net instead of waiting an extra 2 months for a piss-poor release given secondhand!
Well, that's enough ranting. The disc-shooters look cool after all....

#300921 Illinois Foam Fest Six

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 July 2011 - 12:45 AM in Nerf Wars

FFFFFFFUUUUUUU
I'll be in Wisconsin then. Have fun dammit!

#300980 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:45 AM in Modifications

Cutting it's the best way- a careful use of razor blade will give you the best finish. Meanwhile, we have an IRC which is great for asking those "I know it's stupid but I gotta know" questions without irritating the admin team.

#300990 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:20 PM in Modifications

Stuff is hard when you don't have a Dremall I use a hack saw.

Did I say anything about a Dremel? No- and hacksaws are the wrong tool for the job.

#301378 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 July 2011 - 10:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Pending work schedule I want to be there!
EDIT: I'm free, though I may be a bit late.

#301674 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 July 2011 - 11:57 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't guarantee smooching, but I will have darts avaliable.

Unfortunate typo there buddy.
I'll be there, +2. I'm low on supplies! Need darts and only have 2 primaries (one of which is questionable) working right now

Also, Wicket, the LS is all yours, was it $10 we agreed on?

#301707 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 July 2011 - 06:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Good to get out and nerf again

Pros:
+field testing the GheTurret worked well
+friends, cool group of guys (and failkid...)
+rocking the Recon
+Blowing up water jugs
+Someone donating to the "we're dying and need water" fund
+Gatorade

Cons
-hot
-no ammo
-3:15
-rounds turning into firing squads
-hot
-Indiana crew leaving early
-Lots of downtime
-HOT

ALSO- I recieced one blue NF from Wicket and it somehow duplicated itself- if anyone is missing an NF, pm me!

#301936 SNAP Carbine mk2

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 July 2011 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

In English, improvement does not mean perfection. However I dont know if that remains the same in whatever language you speak.

I don't need to order a 5 dollar part off mcmaster to get a perfect seal when a $1.10 worth of materials gets me the same seal. And if it starts to fail, I can open up the blaster, replace the tape and the o-ring, and re-lube it and have it ready for the next round. I'm not making a fucking military grade weapon.

As I recall, a modern washer sandwich plunger head a la Superlative, Preemptive, etc. cost around $2.50, are locally sourced, easier to make, more reliable, and provide a 100% air seal if done right. Why are we running back to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Snaps?

That said, well done on the writeup. I think the carbine is an excellent super-easy-to-make homemade for the newbies and a great shits&giggles blaster for the rest of us. But that is all it is.

#302207 Where to buy Camo bag with Streamlines

Posted by Y-Brik on 24 July 2011 - 11:48 PM in General Nerf

For a college kid, save a bit more and get the new 100 pack of Streamlines from TRU- it's $25 for 100 I-won't-hide-from-you darts. Best price per dart on stock ammo.

#302616 Pump action U Channel blaster

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 August 2011 - 11:14 AM in Homemades

With the advent of the simpler and sturdier RBP and RCP, I don't understand why we're using a more complex and less sturdy method to achieve pump action.

#303008 Project: SPARK

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2011 - 02:35 PM in Modifications

4. If you made a HUGE diameter homemade pump and replaced the old one, I think pumping wouldn't be some much of a challenge. I'd use 1 1/2" to 2" pvc, then use Venom's plunger head design. I integrated that onto a SNAP, and it had an almost perfect seal with a little teflon tape on it. The entire gun was retired because the trigger didn't work.

Have fun bringing such a large diameter pump up to pressure- remember pressure is measured in pounds per square inch- to work a greater diamerter pump up to the same PSI you need to pump MUCH harder. That said, a Schraeder valve on the hard tank and an upright bike pump in the staging area may be worth exploring.

#303125 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM in Modifications

This would be so much fun, but I think it'd be much more cost effective if it was worked out in Medium-scale integration instead of on a pricey microcontroller. Excellent work putting more electronics into nerf than just lights and lazors!

#303232 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 August 2011 - 11:33 PM in Homemades

Great find with the reducers- is it a snug fit or still a bit wobbly w/o the etape?
Also, I think this will be the go-to way to make a plunger rod for these things- same price as 5' of nylon or delrin (not counting tax and shipping) and with much more useful leftover! I assume you're using this with a full [k26]?

Also, what's with the funky 1.5" thinwall color?

#303286 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 August 2011 - 11:07 PM in Homemades

It's worth noting where you've sourced your PVC- Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace all carry slightly different styles of fittings, some of which suit our needs more than others. I'm guessing you got these from Ace?

#303336 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2011 - 07:36 PM in Homemades

Cool stuff, man. I like the minimal e-tape usage in combining the parts around the catch. However, you seem to have missed (picture)
It's a Ring Catch Blaster that was posted quite a while ago as you can see, and it utilizes parts readily available in the U.S. Here is mine that I posted a bit over a month ago

//Stuff about differences in designs//

Eh, I'll join in with the dickwaving- mine was finished in March, and is a direct copy adaptation of Ragrizinferno's build on the Nrev. Venom, yours is gorgeous, but it's begging for clear tees too.

#303441 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 August 2011 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

On the topic of micro controllers, Texas Instruments is selling its launchpad microcontroller with interface and IDE for $4.30! The controller is a 14 pin Dual Inline Package (Read- can fit in a AA battery), C-programmable, and looks to be great for our low-power, low-skill, low-cost application.
//Slight off-topic- TI also makes a programmable, wireless watch with accelerometers. Could this be used in a high-tech nerf gun? Possibly, probably not, but it's cool.

#304877 Homemade Ren Fair Firearms

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 September 2011 - 10:14 PM in Homemades

build replica black-powder firearms with fully functioning mechanisms that shoot Nerf darts...

This is where you lost us. It seems you are not another 12-year old who wants a 1337 snypor like he saw in COD, but combustion in a nerf gun...never happens. Look at the recent thread about propane power to understand how squeamish we are about these things.

tl;dr- You're wrong. But you don't seem to be a moron. Lurk and see who we are, try to contribute to that.

#305012 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 08:07 AM in Modifications

When it's together, try holding the slide all the way forward. Slamfire blasters have this little side effect- the breech must be ALL the way forward for the little slam-fire-y bit to work. Want to not have to worry about it? See that lock just to the right of the barrel cover? Put it back.

This was a hunch based on what you gave us, remember 1. NH does NOT like spoon feeding info, and 2. if you're going to ask for help you may want to to get the actual firing mechanism in the picture!!
EDIT- the important picture seems to have a broken link

#305034 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 06:03 PM in Modifications

The catch isn't working obviously, so maybe the piece under the catch isn't clipped in the right place?

No, the Slamfire piece is right, it's definitely the lock/hold-it-forward issue. fyi, before closing it up again it's worth doinf the spring compression mod- a duct tape ring that makes the spring hit full compression when cocked.

#305791 Need help locating where I can get a spring for the Bullet Guard for t

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 October 2011 - 08:50 PM in Modifications

Ace #2 or 3 should be good. Take the dart tooth in and test fit, then cut it to the right size.

Ace # 2 is WAY too strong!
Gut a clicky pen, try to find a fatter pen so the spring is larger, then shave down the '+' under the dart tooth until it fits.
Also, firing bullets out of a Nerf gun never works. Everything here is made to shoot darts.

#305890 Longshot Fouble Prime Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 October 2011 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

I've seen this to be especially the case in the yellow LS. In my current blaster, I beveled the extension on the boltsled that usually catches on the lock. If you get it right, you can override the lock without removing it altogether.The issue arises from the tail of the boltsled jamming into the right hand wall of the shell without the lock to guide it.