Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#289056 Gyrostabilization Module

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 November 2010 - 08:57 AM in Modifications

Have you ever held a gyroscope? They have this funny property of not wanting to be moved, so they cut down on the movement the gun goes through, theoretically making it more stable and accurate. Megaprops for building this Mega, but I get the feeling this is a high-work low-payoff sorta build.
EDIT: @Nerfer91's sig- It's the SEARS Tower dammit, the SEARS tower!

#288638 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 November 2010 - 12:47 AM in Nerf Wars

It looks like I may be able to go to this one! Work scheduale looks clear anyway!
EDIT: Looked clear- I start work @ 3. Can probably make it till 1 ish

#288355 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 November 2010 - 02:47 PM in Nerf Wars

My apologies for the double post, but this question needs to be asked. What date works better for you guys, Saturday November 27th, or Sunday November 28th?

Saturdays are great assuming I can get out of work. Sundays I don't usually work, but it's hard ditching church for a nerf war (Yeah, my priorities are all messed up, I know).

#300756 New Nerf Guns

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 June 2011 - 03:03 PM in News

Why does everyone think that these guns are going to use a familiar plunger or reverse plunger setup? How, exactly, would you propel AND put sufficient spin on a disc by blowing a bunch of compressed air at it from behind? I would be very surprised to see plungers in these blasters, and find it far more likely that it's a new propulsion system.

I'm a little bit bummed that we aren't going to see any new N-Strike guns this year, and that the stupid orange re-releases are of a bunch of blasters that nobody cares about. How many versions of the crappiest Nerf gun (Maverick) do we really need? Is that blaster really that popular, especially after the Spectre came out? Of all three retailer exclusive guns, the one that got a nod from Nerf is the battery-powered Barricade? And the Raider, really? Not the Long Strike?

I'm just hoping this isn't going to make the actually good blasters hard to find.

Agreed with your thoughts on propulsion, though Nerf has been known to, well, nerf their own designs ever since they came across their lovechild Recon design. I take issue with your view of the Nstrike lineup. The Maverick is consistently Nerf's best selling blaster, at a reasonable price point, cool functionality, and general reliability among stock blasters (It IS a piece of shit from a modders' perspective)- it's earned its 2 repaints a year. The spectre is an overengineered Mav- the less ammo capacity and increased price make it a far cry from the Mav's replacement. As for the LSk, if you really want one, there's one in the works for this year (I won't say too mich for fear of ruining the 'suprise'). And Raiders are one of my favorite ReClones, that and the Recon itself.
/end pointless rant about child's toys.
/begin more relevant rant about companies' promises to this community.
@Hasbro- you released this info on the Facebook page ages ago! Why just now let us know? If Hasbro can't keep up its send of supplying new information to the community, I fail to see why we're holding back from speculation threads (such fun little shitstorms those) and reporting the news when it crops up on the net instead of waiting an extra 2 months for a piss-poor release given secondhand!
Well, that's enough ranting. The disc-shooters look cool after all....

#293863 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 February 2011 - 10:57 PM in Homemades

Excellent work, I may just have to ask you for those Inventor files (The handle, trigger, catch, and rear endcap in particular)

#287930 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 November 2010 - 06:27 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll try, though Sunday wars are best held after noon for me. White foam will suck here depending on snowfall!
[/quote] Are marshmallows acceptable ammunition?[quote]
Seconded! Though frozen mallows may be a bit painful!

#289220 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 28 November 2010 - 01:51 AM in Nerf Wars

Fantastic war. Will add my +/- when I get some sleep after working 9.5 FUCKING HOURS! (need sleep....)

#287878 We Report Range, Why Not Velocity?

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 November 2010 - 09:36 PM in Off Topic

Here's the thing you're missing- range is a FUNCTION of velocity. Acceleration due to gravity (Ag) is constant regardless, so what our blasters are doing is propelling these darts to move away from us as fast as possible so that it can cover a lot of horizontal distance in the largely consistent amount of time it takes for the dart to drop straight down. The slower the dart, the less range it covers before gravity pulls it to the ground, etc.

#287872 We Report Range, Why Not Velocity?

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 November 2010 - 08:09 PM in Off Topic

If we're looking for a more accurate way to determine a blaster's power, just shoot straight up. Time how long it takes from launch to landing, and you can work out the physics in that way. Or just do what the rest of us do and measure out your range with a tape measure.

#303232 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 August 2011 - 11:33 PM in Homemades

Great find with the reducers- is it a snug fit or still a bit wobbly w/o the etape?
Also, I think this will be the go-to way to make a plunger rod for these things- same price as 5' of nylon or delrin (not counting tax and shipping) and with much more useful leftover! I assume you're using this with a full [k26]?

Also, what's with the funky 1.5" thinwall color?

#303336 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2011 - 07:36 PM in Homemades

Cool stuff, man. I like the minimal e-tape usage in combining the parts around the catch. However, you seem to have missed (picture)
It's a Ring Catch Blaster that was posted quite a while ago as you can see, and it utilizes parts readily available in the U.S. Here is mine that I posted a bit over a month ago

//Stuff about differences in designs//

Eh, I'll join in with the dickwaving- mine was finished in March, and is a direct copy adaptation of Ragrizinferno's build on the Nrev. Venom, yours is gorgeous, but it's begging for clear tees too.

#303286 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 August 2011 - 11:07 PM in Homemades

It's worth noting where you've sourced your PVC- Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace all carry slightly different styles of fittings, some of which suit our needs more than others. I'm guessing you got these from Ace?

#320662 Hey Guys, iNerfHaven Dev Here UPDATED ANDROID VERSION TO BETA 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 August 2012 - 12:05 AM in General Nerf

1.Your image link is broken
2.All the cool nerds use Android

EDIT:
1: pix work now, redacted
2: Develop for whatever you like, and props for actually putting the effort in. If/when you get an Android port, I will gladly try it. Regardless of which OS is overhyped into a religion.

#295777 Japanese Earthquake/tsunami

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 March 2011 - 07:44 AM in Off Topic

Praying dude. How is Singapore, Australia, and California looking right now?

#289556 Pumpsnap A La Rork

Posted by Y-Brik on 30 November 2010 - 10:09 PM in Homemades

I forgot to mention my Snap also uses a wood dowel plunger rod (It's 5/8" Oak from Home Depot- there was 2 types of wood, I opted for the heavier one). Works great but be good to it- use a long-ish wood screw (1"+ into the wood), as well as a deep fit on the priming handle- I bored out the tee so the dowel slid in further before adding my screw. Gotta say, I like this better than cpvc for the plunger rod- no fighting with that endcap on the plunger head.

#289451 Pumpsnap A La Rork

Posted by Y-Brik on 30 November 2010 - 02:54 AM in Homemades

Get a 1" PVC endcap, lop off the part that connects to the pipe (so you have a flat-ish surface), and use that. It's way simple yo, and more durable-Yay PVC!

#304877 Homemade Ren Fair Firearms

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 September 2011 - 10:14 PM in Homemades

build replica black-powder firearms with fully functioning mechanisms that shoot Nerf darts...

This is where you lost us. It seems you are not another 12-year old who wants a 1337 snypor like he saw in COD, but combustion in a nerf gun...never happens. Look at the recent thread about propane power to understand how squeamish we are about these things.

tl;dr- You're wrong. But you don't seem to be a moron. Lurk and see who we are, try to contribute to that.

#299801 PumpSnap writeup.

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 June 2011 - 04:13 PM in Homemades

You never showed what your plunger rod ended up looking like, is it just a piece of CPVC with a huge slot in it for the priming bar? Wouldn't Nylon rob but much more sturdy?

I don't know about Rob, but nylon rod would definitely be sturdier--have fun carving a slot through it though. Also, since (common) nylon rod has a 1/8" smaller OD than CPVC, there's very little room for error. CPVC has been used in the past and I haven't heard of it failing on anybody, and it's much easier to make

tl;dr- nylon is stronger but it's not worth it. He likely used CPVC.

#312689 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 10 March 2012 - 09:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay! It was awesome to get nerfing this year- now on to the obligatory pros and cons

+ Mod party
+ Meeting cool nerfers
+ Meeting nerfers under 13 who were cool (It happens people!)
+ My primaries not breaking
+ Enough darts to go around despite my shameless mooching
+ Getting great stuff in trade/sales
+ Good rounds (Zombies, team deathmatch)
+ Pink darts
+ Great location

- Pattycake
- Hummer getting shot to hell in zombies
- Technology
- Location was a home- different than a field!
- Will the real host please stand up?

All in all a great time, looking forward to INO 2

#312711 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 March 2012 - 01:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Yah, it's just the valve, you let my dad borrow it for Zombies.

Then consider it a bribe to host another war

#312271 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 02 March 2012 - 06:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Ooh, goody, I've been itching to shoot someone. I'm in, but low on darts. I assume we'll be using standard outdoor primaries?

#312703 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 March 2012 - 08:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Thanks! And you left your ball valve, I can hold it for you, unless you would like me to ship it.

I knew I was gonna forget something!
As long as it's not attached to clear pvc, it'd be cheaper for me to just grab a new one. If it's just the valve, you can have it.

#301378 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 July 2011 - 10:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Pending work schedule I want to be there!
EDIT: I'm free, though I may be a bit late.

#301707 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 July 2011 - 06:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Good to get out and nerf again

Pros:
+field testing the GheTurret worked well
+friends, cool group of guys (and failkid...)
+rocking the Recon
+Blowing up water jugs
+Someone donating to the "we're dying and need water" fund
+Gatorade

Cons
-hot
-no ammo
-3:15
-rounds turning into firing squads
-hot
-Indiana crew leaving early
-Lots of downtime
-HOT

ALSO- I recieced one blue NF from Wicket and it somehow duplicated itself- if anyone is missing an NF, pm me!

#301674 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 July 2011 - 11:57 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't guarantee smooching, but I will have darts avaliable.

Unfortunate typo there buddy.
I'll be there, +2. I'm low on supplies! Need darts and only have 2 primaries (one of which is questionable) working right now

Also, Wicket, the LS is all yours, was it $10 we agreed on?

#291272 Hopper Clip For Stock Tagger Darts

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 December 2010 - 01:19 AM in Darts and Barrels

Found 'em at Loews next to the grey conduit PVC (go figure) in the electrical aisle for about $0.80 each. Kinda expensive as fittings go, but useful. They make great choppers too.

EDIT-oops, I thought we were talking about the other exotic part. Yeah, haven't seen any purple PVC at Loews....

#298557 Rolling breech

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 May 2011 - 12:04 AM in Darts and Barrels

Increasing the diameter of the 2 pieces of brass making the seal should increase the relative surface area avalible
Posted Image
If we glue the 17/32" barrel into a stub of 9/16" into which the dart can drop, and sheath that in 5/8", in theory we can have it seal, use the minimum sized slot and still seal...somewhat.

Are we looking to use Nstrike clips? if this thing can gravity-feed, why not use it as a hopper clip a la Quick16 (Drop darts in and move on)

#324859 Dremel Recommendations

Posted by Y-Brik on 28 December 2012 - 11:58 PM in Modifications

I use This One, which I got at Target for ~$30. It's served me well for years. Totally compatible with all Dremel brand stuff.

#294824 Dekalb Area War Of Nerf, July 23rd

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 February 2011 - 01:12 PM in Nerf Wars

Hooray for wars! I'm in as a likely

#295855 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 12:26 AM in Modifications

Unique mod, I suggest solvent welding the narrower 'tip' portion of the marker into the breech if you try again.
Writeup...needs a bit of love, you completely skipped the 'mounting the breech to the boltsled' question.
Friendly advice-Don't make excuses in writeups, your work will either speak for itself or you'll deserve it. Oh, and nobody uses polls.
So good, but with room for improvement.

#295884 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 02:11 PM in Modifications

Bullshit. Don't post angled ranges, they mean nothing. There's no way a stock-springed ReClone, rebarreled or not, would hit that range flat.

#295188 High Volume Springer, Easy To Make And Cheap Version Of +bows And Snap

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 March 2011 - 11:34 AM in Modifications

I like the use of aluminum U-channel for the plunger rod, though I have a sinking suspicion that what works in metric won't work in Imperial. Worth looking though. As for the rest of the plunger, props for creativity but I think buying a slab of 1.25" PVC with the appropriate bushing will end up cheaper than gutting an $8-10 ballpump.

EDIT: I've been doing too many homemades lately, Jaybo's right to use 1" thinwall or PETG. Nerfgeek, don't forget the U-channel ($8-ish) and spring in your costs tally. And try Petco for your PETG.

#287700 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 30 October 2010 - 05:22 PM in Homemades

@ Y-brik: That may work, I don't know. Seems a bit over-complicated. Try it and see if it works.

Here's the thing- I don't have a RainBow at the moment and wont be building one soon. I can tinker with it on my +bow, but it wont be as useful. Oh, and how is it overcomplicated? It's a nylon cord and extension spring anchored within the tee that makes the stock.

#287652 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 04:14 PM in Homemades

@Talio- judging that the PT is 1.25" with a [k26] and skirt seal, +bow or, more accurately, SNAP ranges are the likely result. This design is just sexier, higher RoF, and more durable than a traditional CPT SNAP.

My idea: I've come to the conclusion that plunger head padding sucks. It jams, introduces deadspace, and the material always gets smashed into uselessness. So if slowing the PH down from the front fails, how about from the back? The Rainbowpump has a great platform as the plunger rod is encased in PVC and has a VERY sturdy stock, so on to my sketch. (This was done in my Engineering class, hence the formality, and in hand, hence the shitty drawing/handwriting. Now, let's see if I can post pictures...)
Posted Image

The goal is to stop the PH a fraction of an inch before the bushing. The nylon cord allows full plunger velocity along the draw, then the (beefy) extension spring+cord slows and stops the PH. At the moment, the biggest issue I see is the stress put on the nylon plunger rod, I don't know if it can hold. Still, I trust Ryan and co. have enough time, materials, and skill to try it out- good luck!
This is an initial idea, keep the questions and ideas coming!

#287640 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 October 2010 - 10:14 AM in Homemades

I may have a solution to the dry fire issue (Hint- extension springs and nylon cord). I' m sketching it out now and will try to get it up by tomorrow. Ryan, that blaster is mad sexy, I may have to get one (Discount if this idea works?)!

#287798 Rainbowpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 November 2010 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I did this to my PAC, which admittedly was already dry-fireable. However, the string hitting the slot does appear to cause wear on the string, which doesn't happen anymore. Also, it's even quieter than it was before--The catch falling into place sounds thunderously loud compared to actually firing.
[Pic]
Note the glare is not another string.

So,

1) Make a hole in one side of your stock / frame / shell,
2) Put a string through the hole from 1)
3) Put a hole in the plunger rod
4) Put put the string through the hole from 3)
5) Put a hole on the other side of your stock / frame / shell
6) Put the string through the hole from 5)
7) Tie knots on both sides of the string, outside of holes 1) and 5)
8) Tape over/cover up the loose string if you like.

The impact / shock of the plunger losing it's momentum is now taken symmetrically by the tensile strength of the string and the plunger rod.

This should work on most pump action blasters, and probably a few others. It's nice to use the tensile rather than compressive strength of the material to take the load, because tensile strength is vastly greater for most materials.

Thanks for giving it a shot Kane! Yeah, my little trials with my +bow ruled out the extension spring in about 30 seconds, I do agree with all the rather colorfully worded opinions on that front (in my defense, I used it to limit stress on the nylon rod- I'm anything but experienced with them. Given Kane seems to be doing just fine with an unbuffered string, I guess the whole thing was moot anyway.). My attempt with the bolt was to make the entire mech internal to maintain the aesthetics of the RBP, but function seems to outweigh form here.

So yeah, Kane rocks.

#288365 New Nerf Gun

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 November 2010 - 05:30 PM in News

Wasn't NH told that we would be the first place to debut nerf news, even before fb? what happened there? We're living up to our end of the deal as far as Im seeing, am I wrong?
Oh yeah, and cool blaster for a flywheel gun.
EDIT: I can't read- the email says we plan on posting this on fb later today. nevermind.

#303008 Project: SPARK

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2011 - 02:35 PM in Modifications

4. If you made a HUGE diameter homemade pump and replaced the old one, I think pumping wouldn't be some much of a challenge. I'd use 1 1/2" to 2" pvc, then use Venom's plunger head design. I integrated that onto a SNAP, and it had an almost perfect seal with a little teflon tape on it. The entire gun was retired because the trigger didn't work.

Have fun bringing such a large diameter pump up to pressure- remember pressure is measured in pounds per square inch- to work a greater diamerter pump up to the same PSI you need to pump MUCH harder. That said, a Schraeder valve on the hard tank and an upright bike pump in the staging area may be worth exploring.

#283689 Hvz Next Gun

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 August 2010 - 06:18 PM in General Nerf

Given the need for quick reload in HvZ, I would recommend the shell-less Barrel Break over the Doubleshot, and the AR and raider over both. If you go clip system, try to keep is consistent so you can swap mags when needed.

#294581 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 February 2011 - 06:14 PM in Modifications

Would it be best to leave the stock barrel in a Nite-Finder or replace it with some other material?
I have CPVC and PVC to replace it with, as well as a drill to bore out pipes if need be.

CPVC it. If you don't know how, check out our fantastic mods directory. End of story.