Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#294600 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 February 2011 - 10:37 PM in Modifications

Don't bother, if you're shooting stock ammo just chamfer the edge. I use the serrated edge on my pocket knife to give a smooth curve, or a Dremel, or an X-acto. You want a tight-ish fit for springers, remember.

#303125 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM in Modifications

This would be so much fun, but I think it'd be much more cost effective if it was worked out in Medium-scale integration instead of on a pricey microcontroller. Excellent work putting more electronics into nerf than just lights and lazors!

#291471 Merry Christmas!

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 01:07 AM in Off Topic

Jeez, can nobody spell...
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

#286152 Pull-back To Pump-action Conversion - Snap

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

Thanks durka.

I'm a little perplexed over the apparent lack of interest in this, especially from the more experienced SNAP builders, but whatever.

Maybe they don't like wood.

Naah, that's an east coast thing. I do like this setup, just waiting to see it come to fruition. Oh and Fome, all your shit is so BA it intimidates the rest of us. We're used to plastic, not so much woodcrafting.

#300531 JSPB (3DBBQ/Taiwan-style) darts?

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 June 2011 - 11:07 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would also throw in Teflon tape for consideration. That should translate to less friction, but that is purely guess work.

You sir have never used Teflon Tape- 'tape' is used strongly with this stuff, it shreds like wet toilet paper and has no adhesion. Etape or PVC tape , if you look at the darts have a smaller final OD than the foam of the dart- no contact with the barrel means no friction already.
Meanwhile, I'm detecting a potential winner for the 'new dart' challenge- I love the concept of wrapping the weight around the outside of the dart instead of slapping it right on the intended contact point. Will watch this thread carefully....

#303441 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 August 2011 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

On the topic of micro controllers, Texas Instruments is selling its launchpad microcontroller with interface and IDE for $4.30! The controller is a 14 pin Dual Inline Package (Read- can fit in a AA battery), C-programmable, and looks to be great for our low-power, low-skill, low-cost application.
//Slight off-topic- TI also makes a programmable, wireless watch with accelerometers. Could this be used in a high-tech nerf gun? Possibly, probably not, but it's cool.

#305791 Need help locating where I can get a spring for the Bullet Guard for t

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 October 2011 - 08:50 PM in Modifications

Ace #2 or 3 should be good. Take the dart tooth in and test fit, then cut it to the right size.

Ace # 2 is WAY too strong!
Gut a clicky pen, try to find a fatter pen so the spring is larger, then shave down the '+' under the dart tooth until it fits.
Also, firing bullets out of a Nerf gun never works. Everything here is made to shoot darts.

#296387 Brocken Ls Plunger Tube

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 March 2011 - 09:22 PM in Modifications

I can sell you a LS PT; PM me

#291523 Ls Bolt,stuck

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 10:57 PM in Modifications

See, this is the problem I kept running into. I added a 1 1/4" washer to the front of the plunger head (Swapped out the screw too). Cuts down on plunger volume by a hair (moot with a stock breech), but is a great quick fix!

#291476 Ls Bolt,stuck

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 December 2010 - 02:08 AM in Modifications

Pictures are nice, as are more specific descriptions of what's wrong (and like Phree said- what state is the blaster in). Are you saying the LS won't catch when you pull the priming handle all the way back?

#297318 A new style Pump-action SNAP

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 April 2011 - 04:22 PM in Homemades

Beautiful. May I ask where you happened to find 1 and 1/2" thinwall pvc? If I can get my hands on some of that, I will have to make one of these.

I got mine at Do It Best; they have online ordering with free shipping to your nearest store- go here. It's $4-ish for 10' with no shipping hassles or driving to numerous Ace's to search for the stuff.

#294750 Pistol Splat Spring Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 February 2011 - 09:02 AM in Modifications

A whole 0' so far- he said in the post that his tests were dry-fired, and do you see a barrel anywhere?

#282391 Chano 3.5

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 August 2010 - 11:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Gonna check my work schedule today (it's too short notice to request off so here's hoping I get lucky!), and if the stars align I'm totally there, possibly with 1-3 friends!
EDIT: Go figure, the one day that week I work is smack in the middle of the war. So it looks like I'm out for the 14th. 21st anyone?

#298420 Grenade Launcher

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 May 2011 - 09:28 PM in Homemades

Cool story bro. FYI, we like pics over a wall of text.
EDIT: missed the 'PS'

#294793 Pistol Splat Spring Replacement

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 February 2011 - 09:08 PM in Modifications

I don't know, the nut looks elegant enough to me. I always hated a stack of more than 3 washers as spacers for anything- always a pain to keep together. Using a nut means Venom has a 1-piece spring rest, not a spring rest and several washers.

#280117 Lanard Shotgun Problem

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

I would like to mention that I have had a similar problem on my own shotgun (Airzone variant actually; singled), as well as my friend's (Also Airzone; turreted). In both cases the catch, even reinforced with both BW's mod and an additional catch spring added (From the LS stock I believe) the catch was unable to hold anything more powerful than a 1gen LS spring (even less than the stock spring for the shotgun!)

#290737 Nerf Style Grenade Launcher?

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 December 2010 - 05:39 PM in General Nerf

so i was watching icarly and in the titles theres a clip of video with sam holding a a orange mgl it looks like thisgrenade pic can anyone identify it? I've looked in the blaster identification pinned topic and can't find it.

You saw that on Icarly?
:huh:

Dude, there's a pretty descriptive youtube link that shows it in the show. Oh, and to all of you who have survived this long without having heard of iCarly, I envy you.

#297406 MANO 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 April 2011 - 03:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll see what I can do- Are we nerfing in the new location? If all works out, I'll likely have at least 1 friend going.

#301936 SNAP Carbine mk2

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 July 2011 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

In English, improvement does not mean perfection. However I dont know if that remains the same in whatever language you speak.

I don't need to order a 5 dollar part off mcmaster to get a perfect seal when a $1.10 worth of materials gets me the same seal. And if it starts to fail, I can open up the blaster, replace the tape and the o-ring, and re-lube it and have it ready for the next round. I'm not making a fucking military grade weapon.

As I recall, a modern washer sandwich plunger head a la Superlative, Preemptive, etc. cost around $2.50, are locally sourced, easier to make, more reliable, and provide a 100% air seal if done right. Why are we running back to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Snaps?

That said, well done on the writeup. I think the carbine is an excellent super-easy-to-make homemade for the newbies and a great shits&giggles blaster for the rest of us. But that is all it is.

#296484 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 March 2011 - 10:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Looks like Cheerios fell through; Im still wheedling the powers that be to let me go. If I make it I'll be bringing at least 1 friend.
EDIT- I have the green light! I'm a definite with at least 1 friend, checking around to see if more want to go. I'm low on darts though...

#295890 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 04:06 PM in Nerf Wars

OOH OOH OOOH! War! I'm in, possiblyy with guests. Noodle wantsa carpool?

#295919 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 March 2011 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Ybrik what about me? I'm a maybe as of now.

Sure, long as you don't mind chipping in for gas.

EDIT: I can probably cram another nerfer or 2 in the car; put me down as definite/likely + guest(s)

#292319 Nerf Dart Tag Quick 16

Posted by Y-Brik on 06 January 2011 - 12:32 AM in General Nerf

My Raider just dropped a few notches on the totem pole...
I absolutely love this new clip system- high ROF, we get taggers back, and you dont need to yank a clunky mag out of your blaster to reload (or, worse, haul a million of said clunky mags to keep reload times as low as possible). I'm 100% sure BOTH blasters are REVERSE PLUNGERS (big suprise), but I dont care. The Q16 is going to be the ultimate contender in indoor wars to date.

#318133 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 July 2012 - 12:33 PM in Modifications

If you have a spare Recon shell (and who doesn't with the PTs breaking all the time), this method works out well. Use coathanger wire to link the slides, and a tac rail bracket to affix the pump to the barrel
Posted Image
More pix here

#319067 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 July 2012 - 11:44 PM in Modifications

That is awesome. I like how compact it still is, and how it has the light and red dot. It makes the alpha troop look kind of useless at that point.

Close, but there's also something to be said for original design. Jams did occur, I ended up selling this and getting a Raider when I realized that's what I was basically building (The AT wasn't out yet, and quite frankly I hate the ergonomics of it)

Perfect? No. Useful and fun? Definitely.

#295222 Lanard Shotgun Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 March 2011 - 10:00 PM in Modifications

Hobby lobby, get a massive sheet of the stuff for like a dollar. I've had this problem too (Haven't managed to fix it and now own a singled Quadshot), so im interested to see how this pans out.

#283173 Make Your Own Wye

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2010 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

Props for creativity, but if you just join the far-right 45 to the tee, you have a wye with a direct airflow. Works fantastically with PVC cement!

#288639 The Eccentric, Airtech And Supermaxx Series Overhaul

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 November 2010 - 12:57 AM in Modifications

Very original idea to turn the tank around and use a trigger like that. Did you widen the dump valve before?

I doubt it seeing as he then sends the air thru a 1/8"-ish hole into the RSCB.
@Boot- very nice, I like seeing the creativity (if not as much cosmetics- I can live with that) coming across the pond! Keep it up!

#298055 The Bullpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 May 2011 - 11:00 PM in Homemades

Very nice. After messing around with some pump action designs, I think the vertical foregrip is something worth keeping. Have you considered a mashup of the 2 styles? A vertical foregrip with a bolt that connects to the 3/4" endcap?

#286171 Nerf Modification Spring Sizes

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 08:38 PM in Modifications

I'm 90% sure McMaster ships worldwide, so there's your primary source. Cannibalizing other objecs (Nerf or not) is another option, but here's the kicker- go to a few local hardware stores, look in the aisles with all the screws, washers, and other metal doodads, and see if there are springs there!

#323377 Question about lubricant

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 November 2012 - 11:48 PM in Modifications

Been using this stuff for years, it's fantastic. I got mine at Miller Industrial (Similar to, but not an ACE). I've used it on plungers, triggers, even a sticky door hinge.

#294841 Happy 17th!

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 February 2011 - 06:16 PM in Off Topic

69?
Happy birthday Jake!

#289594 Nano Belt Blaster

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 December 2010 - 08:11 AM in Modifications

Excellent work fixing up a blaster with little seen potential!
Is there any reason you used thinwall PETG (Airgun fit) instead of medium/thickwall (Springer fit)?

#305890 Longshot Fouble Prime Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 October 2011 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

I've seen this to be especially the case in the yellow LS. In my current blaster, I beveled the extension on the boltsled that usually catches on the lock. If you get it right, you can override the lock without removing it altogether.The issue arises from the tail of the boltsled jamming into the right hand wall of the shell without the lock to guide it.

#300990 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:20 PM in Modifications

Stuff is hard when you don't have a Dremall I use a hack saw.

Did I say anything about a Dremel? No- and hacksaws are the wrong tool for the job.

#300980 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:45 AM in Modifications

Cutting it's the best way- a careful use of razor blade will give you the best finish. Meanwhile, we have an IRC which is great for asking those "I know it's stupid but I gotta know" questions without irritating the admin team.

#280123 A Quick Question

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:55 PM in Modifications

4.5" is really small for such a large plunger as the 3B; I recommend trying longer barrels (My [k26] 3B has a 12"). A spring addition/replacement is ideal, and definitely double check the seal- both on the plunger head and also on the joint where the PT meets the coupler part.

#309630 Nerf Vulcan

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 January 2012 - 10:40 AM in General Nerf

I really can't wait anymore to get this big fat gun out of the box but until I got confirmation that my model of the Vulcan is not inferior to any existing model I won't open the box.......

1. Where did you hear these claims? If it's anything like the umpteen other guns with several generations (LS, Recon, NF), then the range and power difference is something like a foot or less (read-no difference).
2. You have a stock Vulcan and you're afraid of inferior blasters....yeah.
3. Your link is not loading. If it's a picture, upload it to a photo sharing site and embed it with the appropriate tags.

tl/dr: This is a non-issue: play with your toy! If you see major issues, you can consider modding it or, you know, getting a nerf gun that's actually reliable and powerful.

#300369 Sonic Bazooka Knockoff + Buzz Bee Hunter

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 June 2011 - 04:23 PM in Modifications

I know I'm gonna regret this....
Talio, is the point of NH to only promote the Hereticorps, McNumbers, and Slugs of the community? I always thought it was a point to share knowledge and ideas- in this case the mod is defintely not beautiful, but far better than many I've seen in my time here. Carving the Hunter into an underslung integration is an interesting idea and novel to the site. For what it's worth, that idea alone is helpful, at least to me.

#287209 Spooky Illinois Foam Fest -- Canceled

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 October 2010 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Consider me a maybe. Dude, seriously, ZOMBIES!