SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA's Content

There have been 1000 items by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#132888 Zero Valve

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 17 December 2007 - 11:24 PM in Homemades

Will you all please shut the fuck up? Yeah, he posted in an old topic, but two of you posted with flames, one who didn't know what he was talking about, and one who actually tried to help. It's idiotic. He necroed once, now he has been told to not do it again. Now answer his question so the thread can die again.

BP, the valve is a simple construct that does not yield great results. Basically, it is a PVC or CPVC air tank made from a section of PVC or CPVC with plugs/caps at each end. A hole is drilled in both caps. Through this hole, a rod is fitted. This rod must plug both holes. When it is pulled one way, the other side of the rod will leave the hole in its respective cap and open the "valve" (the path between the output hole and the pressurized tank). The air will then leave through that hole. The valve is difficult to use well because the rod must slide easily and still maintain a good seal. There are better substitutes.

#104740 Youtube Find- C02 Powered Wildfire/quick Disconnect

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 May 2007 - 09:42 PM in Modifications

You do realize that this topic is four months old, right? But about the Wildfire, it's a relatively old gun, I believe. I don't know of anyone that even has one or had one at one point.

#96995 Youtube Find- C02 Powered Wildfire/quick Disconnect

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 08:31 PM in Modifications

Just wondering, why is a jury going after this person for making a CO2 powered nerf gun?

They're not going after him for making it, they're trying to decide if he did make it.

#97032 Youtube Find- C02 Powered Wildfire/quick Disconnect

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 04:39 PM in Modifications

I wonder how hard that thing shoots.

No way to be sure, especially since it looks like the firing system and barrel rotation system are independent and possibly not aligned correctly. Then again, we could ask yamo1231 to see if he knows and really did do this mod.

#110973 Your Top Ten Songs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 June 2007 - 08:51 PM in Off Topic

O SHA big FT Minor fan?

Fort minor is a white "rapper". He's good.

Fort Minor is a white rap band, with Mike Shinoda (White/Asian rapper/Linkin Park singer) as its head, but yeah, they're good.

#110955 Your Top Ten Songs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 12 June 2007 - 07:43 PM in Off Topic

Remember the Name - Fort Minor
Right Now - Fort Minor
Cigarettes - Fort Minor
Kenji - Fort Minor
Slip out the Back - Fort Minor
Frgt/10 - Linkin Park
Live from Iraq - 4th25 (Written by troops in Iraq fighting the insurgents. Check this out.)
Optik Army Taliban - Optik Army & Kool Savas
Brooklyn 2 Berlin - Kool Savas & Mr. Man
The Militia - Gang Starr w/ Big Shug & Freddie Foxxx
Tonz 'O' Gunz - Gang Starr

#126910 Your Day Of Nerfing

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 21 October 2007 - 09:57 PM in General Nerf

Excuse you Lynx. The dart barrel is a long part (synonomous in some cases and references to bit, piece, portion, etc.) that wastes the air needed to push the missile very far. Therefore, it is not as effective as having a separate barrel for missiles and/or arrows. Not to say that my first post had the best word choice, but it was technically correct. Perhaps you should read your own posts before criticizing mine.

BN: It depends. Is the Titan simply re-shelled or were there extra parts (new air tank, new pump, a new way of pulling the trigger) added. The former belongs in modifications unless the case is something new and difficult or adventagoeus to design/have, and the latter goes in homemades. At least, that's my understanding of the line between the two.

#126893 Your Day Of Nerfing

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 21 October 2007 - 08:59 PM in General Nerf

On guns like the BBB, the couplers on the end of barrels (CPVC coupler and barrel, 1/2") allow for the missiles that come with the gun to be fired directly from the barrel. However, since the barrel is a long bit that wastes the air needed to push the missile very far, it isn't as effective as just having a separate barrel for missiles. Unless the barrel length was tailored to the arrow in the first place.

#121292 Yay I Got A Wii

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 August 2007 - 03:26 PM in Off Topic

Advice: Don't ever rub stupid, childish facts like this in our faces. We have lives, better consoles, common sense, and better/less annoying ways to get our kicks. Do we rub that in your face? I think not.

Also, if you want to rub it in, and then ask us to give you good titles for it, then you are truly retarded.

#133218 Wood Tipped Stefan

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 December 2007 - 03:46 PM in Homemades

it is also possible to break windows with this

Do you really think you should still be using these? It was a(n) good idea. You do not want to shoot people with these, probably not even use them in a war. Nerf is about using painless, or as close to it as possible, rounds to shoot each other.

#97483 Winter Caff Recap Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 31 December 2006 - 08:13 PM in Nerf Wars

I was holding a Splitfire, with no turrets attached.

I thought you put 2k turrets on everything. But anyway, it sounds like you guys had a good time. You should consider adding some of this to the "War Stories" thread.

#97522 Winter Caff Recap Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 01 January 2007 - 06:20 PM in Nerf Wars

I DO.

That splitfire was turreted. The turrets BROKE OFF.

And here I thought that you had actually spared a gun from your famed modification. Where do you even find all those 2k turrets, anyway?

#124497 Wii Friend Codes!

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 September 2007 - 10:50 PM in Off Topic

I suggest having a mod delete this topic. Then, if you can, change your code. Nothing against you, it's just a precaution. I would, however, put a message in your signature with something along the lines of "If you have a Wii Friend Code, PM me so we can exchange them." That way, only board members that you approve of can get ahold of it. Either that, or deny every friend request from someone claiming to be a member unless they have sent you a PM here with the exact date and time/hour in it to be sure. It's just that there have been some screwed-up things going on with web-stalking lately...

#120774 Why Does The Scout Have A Reverse Bayonet Mount?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 22 August 2007 - 03:04 PM in General Nerf

The slots on the Scout barrel do not look like a bayonet mount. If I understand the Wikipedia article, and it's actually true and not edited by vandals or idiots, it wouldn't work like that. Or are there different kinds of bayonet mounts?

There are different kinds, depending on the bayonet you want to mount. The muskets of the American Revolution had a slotted shroud over the muzzle that a bayonet would slip into and then lock, much like how one attaches the front gun the Longshot. M4s have a mount under the front sight and perpendicular to the barrel that looks like a tab woth grooves cut into it. In Nerf, it doesn't really matter, because you can just make a shroud that slips over the muzzle, and then has tabs that can snap into the existing grooves to hold it in place. It is completely up to the owner. Just remember to make the shroud with an inner diameter larger than that of your barrel so it doesn't catch the dart after the gun is fired.

#120768 Why Does The Scout Have A Reverse Bayonet Mount?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 22 August 2007 - 02:40 PM in General Nerf

Scouts can still be found with the N-Strike Unity Power System (the three-gun kit with the Titan, Hornet, and Scout all in one box). I have thought about adding a barrel shroud for cosmetic reasons, but other projects are consuming my time. That, and my Scout has a pitiful muzzle velocity, so it won't be seeing much use at wars.

#128949 Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 November 2007 - 05:12 PM in Off Topic

Spiel means "to play." Playstation spiel(en) means to play the Playstation.

#120639 Why Did They Even Bother?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 21 August 2007 - 02:21 PM in Off Topic

Some of them browse through the threads for up to a year before making their first post, or some may have just joined as a spur-of-the-moment action and nothing else, and then gotten out of Nerf. Even if they don't post, they're still not causing any trouble. It's their choice to sign up.

#130411 Where To Buy Modding Materials

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 November 2007 - 12:15 AM in Modifications

Ace Hardware and Home Depot both carry springs, albeit different lines. I personally prefer the HD ones. Their line is called "Handyman". For an NF, you'll want the 9713s. They come in a 2-pack for about $5-7, and their dimensions are almost identical to the NF spring's with the exception of a heavier gauge. They should be in the hardware aisle near the bolts, nuts, and hinges. I warn you though, they require heavy reinforcement to be used without destroying your gun quickly.

For a better-fitting spring, cut down an AR-15 buffer spring available here.

#127880 Where To Buy Modding Materials

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 28 October 2007 - 08:36 PM in Modifications

The springs in HD will be near the hardware aisle (yes, there is a set of aisles in a hardware store designated "hardware"). You'll almost always find them near the bolts, screws, washers, steel rods, etc. Usually there are only two to five different types of compression springs, with the rest being extension springs.

#128690 Where To Buy Modding Materials

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 05 November 2007 - 04:04 PM in Modifications

CPVC is good if you need a lot of barrel material and have no money (AKA it's cheap). However, it tends to be too tight on most darts and is difficult to load with certain foams. It's also easy to bend at long lengths, which is not ideal if you need a super-accurate high-powered gun like a Titan.

#123599 Where The Hell Did These Darts Come From?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 September 2007 - 08:29 PM in General Nerf

EDIT: Nevermind, I skipped the part where the shafts were turquoise as well.
These are the closest things I have (Lanard Darts).

Posted Image

EDIT: Nevermind, I skipped the part where the shafts were turquoise as well.

#119913 Where Can You Buy A Pc?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 15 August 2007 - 10:29 PM in General Nerf

A Powerclip occasionally shows up in our trading forum. Check there every so often. We're the best bet as well, because we tend to be more honest and give you more information than eBay. (With the exception of a few of us, most notably Starbuck after he disappeared with some peoples' guns and money.)

#125186 When You Discovered The Nic....

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 06 October 2007 - 11:07 AM in General Nerf

I used to have a ton of Nerf guns years ago, but I got out of the hobby. Then, last year I was thinking about a way to build a magazine-fed ping-pong ball gun and I stumbled upon boltsniper's FAR diagram on his website. That got me into Nerf again, and I'm still into designing all types of guns. However, I still lack the initiative to complete any of them. I need to work on that.

As for what I thought about the NIC, I don't really remember. Based on the depth and detail in the write-ups, the level of complexity of some homemades, and the general experience that everyone seemed to have, I thought that the NIC was a great idea and somewhere I could join to contribute. There weren't many idiots who blocked up the forums with useless posts, so I also thought that this site in particular was a clean, put-together site of people who actually knew what they were doing. That view hasn't changed, despite the Great Noob Influx (we needed a name for that event).

#129283 When Did This Come Out...

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 November 2007 - 11:35 PM in General Nerf

Bullet, I suggest you take that advice before the admins hurt you.

The gun doesn't seem to have much potential, and it's unwieldy. However, I want someone to prove me wrong.

#105949 Whats Your Favorite Fast Food Places?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 May 2007 - 06:31 PM in Off Topic

Taco Bell all the way. Then Subway, then Quiznos, then Burger King.

#122462 Whats Wrong With The Spring #49

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 08 September 2007 - 08:52 PM in General Nerf

49s and 9713s (ACE, then Handyman brands respectively) make the NF unfeasibly difficult for some people to cock. The catch will also fail if you didn't replace its spring. Also, many people cut down the spring to stock length, although this isn't necessary. Just make sure you reinforce the gun VERY WELL if you use either spring.

Other than that, make sure your spring is seated correctly on the spring perch and not inferfering with the catch.

#97031 What The Hell

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 04:14 PM in Off Topic

I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. 99% of all computer problems are made moot by system back ups. I say 99% because the only thing that will render a backup useless is if your computer is destroyed in a fire or stolen. Even then, you buy a new computer and load the back up.

Well, this solves the problem of getting everything back in case of a failure, but it might be more helpful to know why this problem occurs. In the brief time that I used Firefox, this happened twice, so I dumped the program.

#127240 What Should I Do!?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 October 2007 - 09:16 PM in Modifications

Did you remove a cylindrical part with a disk one one end, held in place by three supports? If so, drill out the center to a 1/2" diameter and replace it in the plunger tube. For a better description, go to our mods directory and find a write-up on the Disk Shot.

Edit: No! I was too late! Why?
Oh well.

#127229 What Should I Do!?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 October 2007 - 08:59 PM in Modifications

Pictures, the name of the gun, a description of the gun, and a better description of what you did will all help.

#105950 What Should I Buy?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 May 2007 - 06:38 PM in General Nerf

for all you peopel who want to know how old i am i am 13.... and yes my mom knows i get on this site if you are curious

We laugh at getting parental permission. The problem is letting users gain memberships before their 13th birthday.

The Longshot might be a bit much for new modders (not me, and if you have patience and the ability to plan out what you are doing, by all means go for it...), but the Big Bad Bow, Nite Finder, and sometimes even the Dart Tag guns are good beginner guns, easy to find, and easy to mod. They are available at Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us, and Target.

P.S.: You might want to clean up your spelling, grammar, and capitalization.

#95832 What Makes A Book "classic?"

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 03 December 2006 - 05:27 PM in Off Topic

Damn fine job, Ronster. I wish I could write essays like that. For some reason I can piece together 18-page fictional stories, but all of my research papers and analytical essays always turn out like crap no matter how awake or asleep I am.

P.S.: I am kind of indifferent on the questions-in-an-essay subject, but you seem to write well using them.

#133234 What Kind Of Glue To Use

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 December 2007 - 06:35 PM in Modifications

Epoxy is cheap, strong, and forms a durable, long-lasting bond. Use that instead.

#120423 What Happens When You Have A Lbb And A Big Salvo Lying Around?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 August 2007 - 02:22 PM in Modifications

It would be too difficult to put a keyring near the Big Salvo trigger for two reasons:

1: The Big Salvo's trigger is very large, and takes up almost every bit of the space in the trigger guard.

2: The LBB trigger pulls a firing pin back against the pressure in the air tank, so a keyring trigger of any sort would be far too difficult and painful (thin metal ring digging into your finger) to pull back, not to mention put unneeded stress on any pivot points.

#120383 What Happens When You Have A Lbb And A Big Salvo Lying Around?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 August 2007 - 03:21 AM in Modifications

Why the hell not? You could easily T all four salvo chambers out of the main pressure chamber on the LBB and have all five barrels operate on the same pump and trigger, like a volley titan on steroids. I've thought of doing exactly that, in fact.

He left both pumps in. You would usually take out any unused material to trim down on the figure and weight. I'm also sure he would have mentioned an internal integration that extensive. If he proves me wrong, then that's also good.

#120379 What Happens When You Have A Lbb And A Big Salvo Lying Around?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 19 August 2007 - 03:08 AM in Modifications

Sweet. Need better pictures. Are they integrated anymore than just having the cases epoxied together at the handle?

I doubt they would be, there isn't much that you could possibly integrate. My two criticisms are that is looks bulky and difficult to balance while pumping. I still wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, though.

#125354 What Happened?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 October 2007 - 07:00 PM in Off Topic

It's not a bad theory, but it would discourage newcomers. That results in a more pure community of those truly devoted to Nerf, but say someone who might go on to become a great contributor is turned off by the practice? It's not a major issue, and this may be the best idea so far for improvement, but it's still something to consider. Also, the members who are determined to be problematic would be given four chances to disrupt the site until being removed. Impossible as it may be to develop a "perfect" plan, we must try to get as close as possible.

Shorty: I know, that was part of the inspiration for saying that.

#125490 What Happened?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 08 October 2007 - 06:35 PM in Off Topic

Groove: I did offer a plan (that users need to be encouraged to revise their thoughts and posts before hitting "submit," and that it is clear that our Code of Conduct is how we operate, not that anyone can keep bending the rules set by it.). Perhaps it is a different method you want, or I am being confused with another poster?

CS:

First, I realize that I am not an administrator, nor is it likely I will ever become one. Therefore, this argument will not carry as much weight as if cxwq or VACC posted the same concept

I did not create this topic to host a flame-war. Quite the opposite. I wanted to give something that we could improve upon to better ourselves, as I thought that we would be mature enough to see that. I went out of my way to acknowledge that it is not the responsibility of admins to patrol our boards 24-7 and interrupt their lives over the welfare of this site, and made comments which you founders and administrators seemed to agree with or agreed with in the past. Many of the points which I have listed are commonly highlited by others as anathema to NH, so this is really no different. I am not certain as to why it was received so negatively, or why some points that I stressed were ignored, so please inform me if there is some problem with the way I presented this. I want to understand what I did wrong instead of wandering around in the dark and risking carrying a grudge or presenting this way again on some other topic. Help me out here.

#125349 What Happened?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 October 2007 - 06:40 PM in Off Topic

That in itself is a problem, though. After the Great Noob Influx, members became lax, just as you stated. However, the new members also tended to flame each other, unlike the method of more polite warnings that was typical of the older days. We need to find a way to restore NH without flaming. That only serves to further worsen our condition. Banning does improve, but it is still not an absolute plan. A less destructive strategy is what needs to be developed. Anyone with ideas, please contribute. Actions without motive and execution without planning is progression towards the bottom.

#125383 What Happened?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 October 2007 - 08:14 PM in Off Topic

There is a spell-check available in the post window, but it requires the download of something. Not sure what, though. As for the quiz, it's a bit unnecessary. Sorting out the results and even designing such a test in the first place will be too time-consuming to have as much potential as is thought.

#125340 What Happened?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 October 2007 - 05:43 PM in Off Topic

First, I realize that I am not an administrator, nor is it likely I will ever become one. Therefore, this argument will not carry as much weight as if cxwq or VACC posted the same concept, but I believe that they ought to be in agreement with what I type. Secondly, I posted this in Off-Topic because it is about this site in particular, not related to the Nerf aspect but to its basic content. Question, comment, maybe even flame all you want, but take into account my words. Brace yourselves.

What happened to the old NerfHaven? I am not about to go on and say that this site is terrible and imply that I will leave or that I should be looking for other forums, but rather to ask something several people are probably wondering with me.

When I joined almost a year ago, this site was much different. What was once a true haven for both those well-versed in Nerf-related topics as well as newcomers who carried a fascination with the hobby has now sunken into a state of degradation. Several members post acting as if they have some clue as to what they are discussing. Others ask idiotic questions. It isn’t the fact that they ask questions that bothers me, but that they are often so simple that a single search would reveal the wealth of information that they are begging for because they are too lazy to do their own research. There is a tutorial authored by Carbon that is pinned in the General Nerf subcategory. Does nobody use this? Sifting through the useless jumble of threads written by those too ignorant to read that post is a hassle, and only gives a way for post-mongering and useless members to up their post count. This needs to end.

Another noticeable point: the language used here. AIM-speak, or chat room abbreviations, are appearing more frequently now, despite their prohibition by our Code of Conduct. Vulgar language is also popping up quite often. It is realized that some crude language is acceptable under certain circumstances or once in a great while, but now members (a handful in particular) are resorting to it either because cusses are some of the only words in their limited vocabulary or they feel the need to make themselves appear tough to hide who they truly are. Spelling and grammar are also losing meaning to this society. Blame it on typing speed, slow down your typing. Blame it on a lack of knowledge of the word or grammar rules, Webster Online or Microsoft Word (or a suitable program with Spell Check) can help. Ignorance isn’t even an excuse. Posts don’t always have to be completely correct, as there is slight leeway for error, but they do need to be readable.

These two problems are often dwarfed by the third: useless posting. Idiotic threads, whether in Off Topic or not, do not have a place here. Websites exist for such “contributions,” but this is not one of them. People who post arbitrarily or with random content: Tourette’s Syndrome does not carry over to writing. Post something useful or do not post. Members who only flame others, such as Substance Abuse (I feel no guilt in calling him out. He’s the most recognized example, plus he has been banned for it as if to emphasize the point.), have no purpose. If they want to abuse the privilege that has been graciously given to them, they ought not to have that privilege anymore.

In short, we need to work on restoring NH to its glory. It isn’t the administrators’ job to watch over these forums constantly. They have lives, as do most of us. If we can take the extra minute and read over our posts, think about its value to this society, then we will have eliminated most of the problem. Make a difference.

Edit:

Fuck it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.