SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA's Content

There have been 1000 items by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA (Search limited from 31-August 93)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#106820 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 May 2007 - 08:18 PM in Modifications

CS, you're starting to scare people with what you do to the guns in the Unity Power System.

#100722 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 03 March 2007 - 12:36 PM in Modifications

This is my longshot.

I think you mean Double Shot.

Edit: CH got there before me.

#123725 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 September 2007 - 09:16 PM in Modifications

Never lube a gun with WD-40. The solution eats away rubber (meaning your O-rings), and your gun will suffer tremendously. Other than that, the gun looks good. Barrel is a little crooked, though.

#121001 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 August 2007 - 02:06 PM in Modifications

Does it matter if he's not shooting anyone?

BigFoot: Does the paint make the slide difficult to pull back (because the portion of the gun that it slides on is thicker), or is there not really any noticeable difference? Also, what grit sandpaper (or what Dremel bit) did you use to get such a smooth look?

#93839 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 November 2006 - 12:04 PM in Homemades

You should put some range test results up here, as well as some statistics about barrel length, etc. It would be great to use that thing as a snįper rifle or something.

#130000 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 17 November 2007 - 03:45 PM in Homemades

CPVC in the shell lines up with the brass in the barrel almost perfectly.

Is there any problem with the dart's transition from CPVC to brass? If not, I think my redesign of my shotgun concept might work. Since brass shells are expensive and time-consuming to make, I was going to use CPVC ones.

#93254 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 October 2006 - 01:23 PM in Homemades

Damn, sponge. I can't wait for those test-shot results. By the way, how long is the barrel on that thing?

#129896 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 November 2007 - 03:07 PM in Homemades

Great work, Rifle. Does your gun fire megas like the FAR, or do you have a nested brass barrel and some inserts in those shells?

#102002 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 April 2007 - 06:46 PM in Darts and Barrels

The barrel I use CPVC
Heres the picture of the brand of FBR by Frost King. Except it's a 30' bag and it's the dark grey kind.

Never use Frost King FBR. The batch consistency is terrible, and their measurements are inaccurate most of the time.

#100470 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 February 2007 - 06:58 PM in Homemades

Even though I'm a noob here, I'm a gamer, and this is really irritating to me too, you people need to understand that shotguns fire SHOT, which is a bunch of projectiles at once, please try to understand that.

Nobody asked you to be a jackass and give a lecture on what to call our homemades, Jergling. I am aware of what a shotgun is, having fired several before. However, the design and operation are identical to that of a shotgun, and that's what I'm going to call it. Unless you have a contribution to make that will help these guns get built, please do not respond in my thread again to make room for other developments.

#135898 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 13 January 2008 - 09:52 PM in Homemades

Damn. Long time, no posts. Got caught up in quite a bit over the holidays.

Rest assured, this project is still in the works, despite over a year in development hell. Since PVC is proving to be difficult to work around a CPVC-shell system, I am exploring new options for making the body of the gun. This includes resin-casting and using vacuum-forming for molds. I want this gun to have a nice, finished feel to it, rather than produce a model that looks and performs like crap.

Also, I will be working on that updated directory. This week is midterms (fun fun), so I'll probably have it around the weekend.

#101060 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 13 March 2007 - 08:27 PM in Homemades

Since I'm not proficient with CAD programs yet, I intend to trace the outline of an airsoft gun that I really like the fit of (I.e. stock length, grip position, and overall length), then modify it to be something machineable with PVC. Then, I'll just insert 1:1 scale drawings of the parts I need so there are no conversions to do. I find this much simpler for my needs.

LMA:
What website did you get the ID and OD measures from?

#100774 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 04 March 2007 - 02:00 PM in Homemades

And I need to know how Boltsniper put the spring in his because there isn't much space to do it they way I did in the FAR.

I was just going to make a hollow spot opposite the extractor where I could lock in the spring and base of the ejector, and cover that with another layer of PVC.

#102052 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 April 2007 - 09:36 PM in Homemades

Also, does any one have an idea for attaching the rubber washer on the back of the bolt? I can't decide on nail, screw, or glue. Other suggestions would be nice.

Glue it. The repeated force from the plunger impact might worsen the cracks or holes caused by nails and screws, and you don't want the bolt breaking apart when you fire the gun.

#106850 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 20 May 2007 - 10:32 PM in Homemades

Ronster had a design in mind for a carrier, he just never posted it yet. Perhaps if we were to obtain it, we would be able to have more feasible designs...

Feasible? I'm close enough to knowing how to build this gun that the carrier is the only hitch in the plan. Once I figure that out, I can start getting materials/beginning construction

#123876 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 22 September 2007 - 09:44 PM in Homemades

I should start paying you guys.

#124807 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 02 October 2007 - 05:33 PM in Homemades

I own a .22 lever-action, so I am familiar with the workings. They are the same as on a standard shotgun, and was the system that I was looking at when I originally began this project. However, the entire gear aspect is still what is screwing up a lot of us, as we have no way to get gears that match precisely what is needed, and only a crude way to manufacture them (cut into solid plasitc rod with a dremel). Not worth it, unless there is an alternative source. I will check McMaster later.

#121042 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 August 2007 - 08:53 PM in Homemades

I think the ranges will be close to what the SCAR can achieve, but I can't say for sure because I didn't use an AR-15 spring. As for completion, that should be by the end of the month if all goes well.

#99921 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 16 February 2007 - 05:36 PM in Homemades

How big is this thing going to be? It looks huge.

I don't know about CH, but my shotty (I am beginning the final design phase now) is only intended to be slightly larger than a Longshot (without barrel extension and with extended stock).

Also, glad to see that the topic is still alive.

#124822 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 02 October 2007 - 07:39 PM in Homemades

My mistake. I never took the thing apart, so I may have confused it with something else. Still, anything that avoids the use of gears is alright, as long as it is relatively simple to machine. I think I have a basic understanding of the way this system works, but I'll wait for the diagram rather than try (and most likely fail) to explain it.

#102079 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 11 April 2007 - 12:42 PM in Homemades

Fishin' Glue is supposedly the "strongest shit you will ever get your hands on," according to FA24. However, that means that it is also a bitch to remove. Epoxy and Loctite glues may work. Also, Guardsman's Goof-Off is an excellent glue remover.

#97395 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 12:04 AM in Homemades

Also, if anyone knows what I should look for in a spring: I went to my local hardware store (Not Home Depot), and they have every kind and size of spring I could ever use, I think. I'm not sure if they sell ones that would work well for nerf; how tough should they be? For example, should I be able to compress them nearly fully with my hands or is it enough to just be able to budge them?

That depends. A plunger spring should be hand-compressable, otherwise you'll never be able to cock the gun. A mag spring should be even weaker. A spiral-notebook coil like Ronster suggested works fine for just darts, might work okay for PVC shells, and probably won't work so well for brass like I am going to use.

#93252 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 October 2006 - 01:20 PM in Homemades

That diagram looks a lot like the one on HowStuffWorks.com. Anyway, that whole carrier dog / carrier sync bit is why I tossed the idea and designed a depression tab: it's much simpler to use my new design, and it's so much easier to fabricate that a PVC box of like 12 little gears that probably get messed up when you drop the gun. If you had any ideas while designing your shotty, Ronster, then post them. LastManAlive, Flaming Hilt, and I could use them. It appears I am not alone on this project.

#93399 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 October 2006 - 09:54 PM in Homemades

Flaming Hilt:
I'll definitely try to get some bigger pics up sometime in the next 2-3 days.

Now, about that depression tab issue. I thought about exactly the same problem you did, that the depression tab would come down too soon and the carrier would go down before the bolt could load the next shell. But then, I remembered that I'm using a rotating bolt. This means that if I shorten the tab just a little bit and place it at a point on the bolt where it will be timed to release only after the shell has been loaded, then the problem should be solved. Then again, this is all just speculation, since I haven't made a model or gotten into all of the mechanics just yet. If I post a way bigger detail view up here, then I might be able to talk to you guys about the really fine details of it all. I only wish that boltsniper could post something here, since he's actually built a rotating bolt before and he could give me some insight as to what I might need to do here.

#93424 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 31 October 2006 - 03:11 PM in Homemades

Ronster, you're a genius. I never really took the time to stop and think exactly how the carrier and carrier dog were connected, but this would make sense. There are a couple of problems, though.

1: If the carrier and carrier dog are connected like that, then how does the entire system move when the carrier is raised? I know the carrier dog moves, but it seems like it would have to move towards the carrier to raise it, based on your picture.

2: Where am I going to find a set of gears that small and how am I going to keep them in place should the gun be dropped?

3: How would I solve the problem of a jam (I.e. a locked gear) without dismantling the entire receiver?

Even though I don't know the answers to these questions, I will probably switch over to the carrier dog system instead of my depression tab. That way I have a proven system and don't have to worry about springs or very strenuous pressures on the sides of the bolt and carrier. I'm not discounting Flaming Hilt's arguments, but I might be able to pull this one off more easily than the depression tab. I guess this means I'll need to draw more pics, but still, thank God for Ronster.

#93246 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 October 2006 - 12:41 PM in Homemades

LastManAlive:
I looked over your post again and realized that I mixed up the word "travel" with "gravitate" because there is a typo there. However, there is still a problem with your design. The size of your dart and the size of the breech can be perfectly identical, but if the edge of another dart even gets caught between the rim of the breech and the loading system, you are going to have some major problems with the firing because now there is a bent-up dart that prevents the breech from closing and getting a good seal. That either means that you can't fire, or the pressure that is lost while firing is too little to propel the dart out of the barrel.

Also, I don't know whether you are going to make a true breech-loader or a magazine-fed shotgun, because they are definitely not the same things. PM me a picture and I might be able to understand and help you.

#93139 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 October 2006 - 09:08 PM in Homemades

So, yes, I am making the halo 2 shotgun. - LastManAlive

That Halo 2 shotgun concept seems like it might fit my plan right down to the sights. If you come across any advantages or problems in the design, PM me or post them here.

#92830 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 October 2006 - 02:25 PM in Homemades

Now that I've finally got back to my computer, I'll elaborate.

First, the term "shotgun" in my title only reffers to how the weapon loads. If I wanted to fire multiple shots, I would need a sabot or something, and that's really not a design I can get into right now. To load the shells, I was going to use a carrier in front of the magazine. For those of you who have shotguns, this idea will probably be familiar. If not, then visit this website (http://science.howst...om/shotgun5.htm). Towards the bottom of the page, there will be a box titled "pump-action shotguns." If you play all the way through that, and study both the tab on loading and the tab on firing and ejecting, then my concept will be broken down for you.

Next, my ammunition problems. Since I am planning to use shells for this weapon, I am trying to borrow the design that boltsniper used for his SCAR-N. Those shells and stefan darts should give me some good ammo. To keep the shell and dart from sliding out of the barrel, I will use a rotating-bolt lockup unit like the ones found in shotguns, assault rifles, and the SCAR-N. this will provide the basis for me to both hold and extract the shell. The weapon can be cycled by connecting an operating rod to the pump grip and the other end to the bolt. If you look at the bolt concept of the SCAR-N, you can see the nail sticking through the side. That should be what I connect the rod to.

I want to make a practical, compact, yet sturdy design so my gun doesn't fall apart if I slam-fire or am rough with the pump. The silencer is for quiet shots if the weapon has a decent-enough range for "sn1per" operations. I would be grateful if I even got 20' on the first attempt, seeing as this is my first homemade. I promise you guys out there that as soon as I get my scanner working, I'll put up one of my rough sketches on here for you to all see what I'm talking about. If you have any ideas or alterations after visiting the HowStuffWorks page, then I'm all for your suggestions. I'll need them to make sure my idea holds water before I go off and build a failure.

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#93096 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 October 2006 - 03:11 PM in Homemades

Nice drawing. But how big will the gun really be?
Will multiple darts fit in each shell?

The gun will, ideally, be no bigger than Boltsniper's SCAR-N. If I incorporate the plunger tube into the stock, then I could theoretically shorten the gun by around 20cm, and also eliminate some durability problems with an attached stock rather than an integrated stock. That little stub you see sticking out of the left part of the drawing was going to be an attached stock, but I scrapped the idea and forgot to erase the part from my sketch.

The gun will have shells, but I don't plan to have multiple projectiles per shot. It will be a slug-gun type weapon, like I said earlier. In order to fire off multiple shots, I would need to involve sabots or something of the like, and that would only be as a proof of concept attempt. Multiple pellets wouldn't go very far anyway, so it would almost be pointless for wars that aren't fought in buildings.

#93131 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 October 2006 - 08:28 PM in Homemades

I understand where you're coming from, sponge, but I am using shells for a completely different reason. For the design I have, the darts have to be stacked end-to-end in the horizontal magazine tube. If I were to put plain darts in there, they would get bent and creased by the mag-spring's force. The shells are used only as a sort of insurance to make sure my ammo doesn't get screwed up before the first shot. Plus, the shells provide a surface for the mag-spring to contact. Otherwise, an unshielded spring might dig into the hot-glue tip of my stefan and mess up the entire mag system. Trust me, if there was a simpler, yet more effective way to do this, I would be modifying my design already. (Plus, shells do look kinda cool. But that's another story.)

#93838 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 07 November 2006 - 12:01 PM in Homemades

tcorr911:
If you look on the howstuffworks page mentioned in the earliest couple posts, you will see that there is either a bump or a ledge on the carrier that stops the shell from sliding all the way back. That stop is placed carefully in a spot where only one whole shell can be on the carrier at a time. I think this could be the solution, becuase I myself was considering it for simplicity.

P.S.: For all of you out there who are either working on or want to work on a Nerf shotty, P.M. me. If there are enough of us, we might be able to walk each other through the design and construction phases.

#93915 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 08 November 2006 - 05:51 PM in Homemades

tcorr911:
Actually, the bolt's side keeps the carrier dog depressed while the bolt is sliding forward and back. The bolt's contact with the carrier dog is stretched out in duration so that by the time the carrier dog is released and the carrier falls, the front of the shell has already been pushed forward and the rear of the shell is supported by the front of the bolt. I haven't got the exact specs down, but if Ronster can complete a working model (no pressure, Ronster), then it will be much easier to explain. The howstuffworks page isn't too good for the animation of the unit, so you don't get the exact idea enough to see what happened in between the steps. It kind of took me a while to get that one, too.

#96251 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 December 2006 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

I was going to use an extractor similar to what boltsniper used on his SCAR-N. I posted a pic of a prototype self-contained ejector a while back, probably on the top of the 6th page, and I was going to use a more powerful and updated prototype of that for the actual shell ejection system. (The new ejector can propel itself 85 cm far when released from 50cm high and parallel to the ground.) If you are using a rotating bolt lockup like I am, you'll also have to make sure that you align the ejector and extractor to be parallel to each other and the port on the side of the gun where the empty brass can be released. I also might go searching for some brass and PVC sizes next weekend at the town Lowe's. Let's hope I fand something so I can get back to you.

#96982 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 05:01 PM in Homemades

Not bad, Meaker VI. My own work has been delayed until I can find a place that sells cheap brass. I need to make the shells first, and then work from there, since designs of the bolt, mag, and carrier are all dependant on the shell size. As for springs, I think Commonly Hunted used the spring out of one of those cheap plastic Bic mechanical pencils, but then again, I think his shells were PVC, so I'll need something more powerful...

#92596 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 22 October 2006 - 01:50 PM in Homemades

I'm trying to make a nerf shotgun, and I'm open to suggestions. Zero, if you're reading, I ask permission for your genius silencer design, and Boltsniper for his brilliant trigger system.

When I say "Shotgun," I'm referring to the way the weapon loads shells into a magazine below the barrel and how the pump cycles the weapon. The design is similar to Boltsniper's SCAR-N.

One more thing, I'm a noob. Deal with it.

Edit: There is an update on this project at the bottom of page 20.

#96192 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 December 2006 - 10:33 PM in Homemades

Commonly Hunted:
I was going to try for 100th post in my own forum, but that would merit reprocussions from Piney for double-posting. (Although this is technically the 100th reply.)

Back on topic:
I am working on a scale-dimension draft of my blueprints on a 2-D CAD program, so I will probably be done with almost all of my design work and detailing by the 17th, accounting for the time I need to take out for homework, school, and studying. I hope to see blueprints from as many other contributors to this topic as possible, so we can all build different, yet hopefully effective, models.

#95549 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 November 2006 - 06:55 PM in Homemades

To shorten the gun, I was going to borrow another design from Boltsniper and use the stock's horizontal tube to house the plunger and spring. This way the gun can still be manageable in size, but not suffer any range or reliability issues. I plan to make the gun about 76cm (~30 in.) long, but I may need to lengthen it a little to make room for more shells in the magazine. Right now I can fit about 5 shells with that lenght, and I was hoping for 6-8 to make it more practical.

#93991 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 09 November 2006 - 05:50 PM in Homemades

I'm still working on the mag tube spring. The problem is going to be finding one that's between strong and weak, and between long and short. If it is too long, then the spring might stick out into the carrier and get all screwed up when the carrier rises, and it won't be small enough when compressed all the way. Short springs won;t be able to push all the cartridges out. A strong spring can inhibit feeding due to tension, but a weak one won't have the force to empty a full magazine. I can probably find some springs at Home Depot or Lowes, but I'm not sure. If anyone sees any, tell me where they where they were.

#94927 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 21 November 2006 - 11:03 AM in Homemades

Flaming Hilt was right when he said to be patient. However, I think I speak for all of the contributors when I say that any models, scale-built or otherwise, are greatly anticipated and appreciated. I might have time to begin a carrier/carrier dog model, or start a removeable receiver this week, but I wouldn't put any money on that.

#98096 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 08:07 PM in Homemades

Great work, Meaker VI. For what it is, the prototype is a good guide for testing all of the systems that you'll use to build the actual version of the gun. However, I'd like to see the carrier group, or at least as much of it as possible, in another pic so we can get an idea of what you are doing to make the system work.